[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do we save the series from being unredeemable hot pile of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 415
Thread images: 65

File: final_fallacy.png (57KB, 2000x579px) Image search: [Google]
final_fallacy.png
57KB, 2000x579px
how do we save the series from being unredeemable hot pile of shit, /v/?

was xv the final nail in the coffin?
>>
>>378968376
No but if the VII remake flops it might be
>>
1. Travel back in time to 2001
2. Go from there
>>
>>378968376

>was xv the final nail in the coffin?

Yes.
>>
It's too late. The SE merger was the catalyst that killed effectively all of Square's major IPs. The current staff just isn't competent at what they do, especially on the localization side.

The 13 trilogy was. 15 is just a depressing afterthought.
>>
>>378968376
It's easy.
Fire Tetsuya Nomura.
>>
>>378968376
>Spend 10 years hyping up a game that is supposed to revolutionize the series
>gradually feed the fans little updates at a time
>do a complete overhaul
>cut to release on time
>release DLC to fill in the gaps
FFXV was a humiliating failure, all that hype boiled down to a dud.
>>
>>378968376
The thing is that if they try to pull another IX it probably won't sell. They're fucked no matter what they do. Well, at the very least they need to cool down on all the fucking marketing. Everyone knows what Final Fantasy is, you don't need all this ridiculous fanfare.
>>
>>378968764
Speaking with Game Informer, director Hajime Tabata says the narrative direction was entirely intentional – namely the important events that happened off-screen. “It was for the players to experience the story through Noctis’ eyes,” he told the magazine. “The world and the events that Noctis sees are merely things that are seen through his eyes. We didn’t want to create a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story in this game. Instead, we placed importance on the main characters and for the player and Noctis to share the same experience when we tell the story.”

With this sort of narrative design philosophy in hand, Tabata said it was only natural to increase the proportion in which the main characters are depicted. “It’s not that we decreased the role of the side characters,” he explained. “Focusing on many characters in the game means that the allocation given to the main characters will decrease. Instead of creating a comprehensive and perfectly balanced story, we placed greater importance on the four main characters and strived to depict a world seen from their perspective.”
>>
>>378968638
>fire the character designer
Ok.
>>
>>378968471
the proposed episodic releases is what im afraid will truly be the death of this series, if they fuck up in handling it well.
>>
>>378968883
That's bullshit and everyone knows it.
>>
>>378968376
At this point we don't. The fact they're doing a VII remake is bad enough considering they said they wouldn't touch it before. If they're desperate enough to try for it now it's really not a good sign. The fact they're supposedly splitting it into a trilogy is horrible as well.
>>
File: Anime girl FUCKING dies.png (46KB, 522x472px) Image search: [Google]
Anime girl FUCKING dies.png
46KB, 522x472px
>>378968376
>Best single player game in the series since 9
>Nail in the coffin

???

I mean, it's not good, but the series is on the rebound, not the decline.
>>
>>378968471
At one point I wondered whether it is even possible to fuck up FFVIIR but then I remembered that this is SE we are talking about. These are the same people that gave us the totally unnecessary compilation. They ruined the entire FNC universe.

I guess I should simply give up on Agni's Philosophy becoming FFXVI and actually having something good to play.

They are just going to create ports and remakes of previous FF games and make their money off of those and people playing FFXIV, brave EXVIUS and and other mobile and hand held games.

This is pathetic.
>>
>>378969248
He's arrived, thread's over early.
>>
>>378968876
>another IX

But 9 was one of the most lackluster games in the series.
>no character customization
>shitty linearity and FMV sequences every five steps into the game
>that slowdown
>fanfic tier plot and characterization
>>
>>378968876
>If they tried to pull another IX it won't sell

You're probably right and that makes me sad.
>>
>>378969363
>fanfic tier plot and characterization
>shitty linearity and FMV sequences every five steps into the game
Why did you describe VIII when you said IX?
>>
>>378968883
And he still did it terribly. The character growth of the four bros was paced horribly and the "drama" within the group felt forced and misplaced.

He would've been better off going with a story told by multiple perspectives. Hell he ended up doing that when they made kingsglaive.

Especially when Cor was supposed to be a permanent playable party member and they scrapped him just so they could focus more on the bros.

Ohhhhhh noooooo Tabata I definitely don't want to play as the badass that fought alongside Noct's fatherrrrr. That would be sooooooo boringgggg.
>>
>>378968883
Fuck you, Tabata.
>>
>>378968536
All you have to do is stop those idiots at square soft from releasing that abomination of a movie and that cancerous merger never happens
>>
File: 41015237_p0.jpg (318KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
41015237_p0.jpg
318KB, 848x1200px
>still nothing on Type-Next
I don't even want it anymore.
>>
File: pop pop pop.png (291KB, 491x242px) Image search: [Google]
pop pop pop.png
291KB, 491x242px
>>378969362
>Thinking X and XIII are even worse means you're le XV-Kun

Shut the fuck up.
It's a real even match with 12 though, I'll be honest. Both of them got fucked in the exact same way, but I think XV came out more enjoyable in the end. That might just be because I hold Ivalice very dear to my heart and accordingly find 12's folly to be a more painful loss, though.
>>
>>378969537
The merger was going to happen regardless of the movie
>>
>>378969248
Rebound? Are you serious?
>>
>>378969445
>This thing is good by virtue of not being as bad as this other thing

That's not an argument. I don't care if there are worse games out there. Doesn't change the fact that FF9 is shit, and I'd really rather not see another SE game in this style.
>>
>>378968610
im actually curious what forced Square the merger though? anyone got some old articles or info about it?
>>
>>378969554
Why would you? They fucked up the first game anyway with that atrocious final boss and the ending. Why give them another crack at failure?
>>
File: final-fantasy-15-prompto-selfie.jpg (73KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-15-prompto-selfie.jpg
73KB, 1080x600px
FFXV was a great game though.
>>
>>378969558
>Unironically defending an unfinished offline MMO
>Unironically defending an unfinished empty open world
So this is the power of nu-/v/.
>>
>>378969606
Considering how fucking abysmal things were before?

Yeah, I think it's taking an upturn in public perception and overall quality compared to when XIV 1.0 was out and the XIII trilogy was still chugging along. I don't like a lot of things about modern XIV and XV, but it's a better state for the franchise than 2010-2013 or so was. That's when All The Bravest was out too, if you don't remember. Seriously, Final Fantasy was fucking dogshit a few years back as a brand.
>>
>>378969715
Because I liked it. The final boss was indeed awful, though.
>>
>>378969798
all the bravest was horrible, Record Keeper was better than it, holy shit.
>>
>>378969787
>Defending them is the same as thinking them as favorable compared to a finished but absolute dogshit game and an even worse MMO.

I get that you don't like XIV or XV. I don't either.
It's still an improvement compared to how bad it was.
>>
>>378969787
Why do people still defend FFXII? Is it because ZJS is coming out? Its all going to be the same shit just with a job system. The story and characters will still be garbage.
>>
>>378969686
Square spent hundreds of millions on their first feature length movie Final Fantasy which ended up bombing hard and costing them millions. The result was that Enix was able to buy a controlling stake in the company due to falling share prices
>>
>>378969929
Yeah? That's what I'm saying.

ATB came out right when the series hit its nadir.
>>
>>378970014
And then the retarded ass investors insisted that Square should stay in charge for the most part.
>>
>>378969460
>Especially when Cor was supposed to be a permanent playable party member
Seriously what was up with Cor in the game, he just kind of shows up and then fucks off for the rest of the game.
Actually every side character in that game couldn't be more irrelevant and undercooked if they tried.
>>
>>378970009
Because most people who hate it tend to be plebs with shit taste and couldn't appreciate a story mired more in politics and grounded characters than one good guy against one bad guy and the protagonist being some idiot who does speeches about justice
>>
serious question: if Hironobu Sakaguchi were to stay before the SE merger, would the series probably end up in a better direction?
>>
>>378970198
The Japanese consistently prove that they love war stories but suck extremely hard at telling them most of the time. The good stuff, like LoGH, is damn good, but then you've got stuff like Xenosaga and XII.
>>
>>378969686
>>378970014
The merger was planned before Spirits Within failed. And the failure of Spirits Within DELAYED it, it had nothing at all to do with Square being in trouble.
>>
>>378970135
To be fair, it was a good idea at the time because they went on to have several massive sellers in games like Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts plus Square also had a stronger international standing than Enix, still does actually
>>
>>378970296
Xenosaga is not a war story in any way.
>>
>>378970261
X and XIII wouldn't be nearly as wank, I'd wager. XII would probably never be promoted to a mainline title and get so fucked that Matsuno gave up.

But of course, this would imply Square could even begin to respect the people who work for them. When was the last time you saw them throw a shout out to Nasir?
>>
>>378970474
Well, not a "war story," but the framing device is space being on the precipice of war over Miltia.

>>378970464
The problem is that X sold pretty much on graphics and brand recognition. Giving Enix a more equal stake would have stopped the circlejerk of untalanted morons from forming and ruining the company's good will.
>>
>>378970261
Unless he decided to direct again, no
>>
>>378969686
>im actually curious what forced Square the merger though?

The Spirits Within was a box office failure. Square simply spent too much on the film's budget, and they weren't able to earn enough from ticket sales to break even.

Although they possibly did break even thanks to DVD sales. But it must have taken them a long time to recoup their losses that way.
>>
I loved XV and so did a lot of people. It sold well, sorry.
>>
>>378969716
>Japanese believe that Anglo men shave under their arms
>>
File: 1496477302226.jpg (23KB, 1136x356px) Image search: [Google]
1496477302226.jpg
23KB, 1136x356px
>>378970774
>I loved XV and so did a lot of people.
>>
>>378970684
To be fair, as a director Sakaguchi wasn't terribly consistent, and at Square it seems like the main designer was more important for the overall quality of a product. Aside from V, all the best ones he worked on were the ones he worked in a design role instead of directing or producing.
>>
File: Semon Demons.png (2MB, 1725x1065px) Image search: [Google]
Semon Demons.png
2MB, 1725x1065px
Nothing can save them except making good games.
>>
Give up on it and invest more resources into the better series, SaGa. Alternatively, stop reinventing the wheel for every game and instead actually build on top of the job system they developed only to use in three mainline games.
>>
>>378971183
Who is the one on the far left and what game is she from?
>>
>>378971225
No one gives a single fuck about SaGa anymore. They had a chance to build a series out of it with Romancing's popularity, but it failed.
>>
Let it die. Time to move on with our lives, and get new series going.
>>
File: Unlimited-SaGa.png (268KB, 1264x1278px) Image search: [Google]
Unlimited-SaGa.png
268KB, 1264x1278px
>>378971317
Unlimited was the Final Fantasy XV of SaGa.
>>
>>378971225
>saga
kek
>>
>>378970682
>The problem is that X sold pretty much on graphics and brand recognition

I think the high degree of character customization and sidequests had something to do with it. The story was pretty good, but the linear presentation of it makes the game feel like a slog. But once you obtain an airship and can start doing all kinds of fun sphere grid customization and optional shit, the game is pretty hard to put down.
>>
File: Carl's Jr.png (2MB, 1080x1426px) Image search: [Google]
Carl's Jr.png
2MB, 1080x1426px
FF14 which also has a free trial up to level 35.
>>
>>378971225
Even Mana and Crystal Chronicles have more potential for proper franchising than SaGa, dude.

It's over.

>>378971279
It's a player character in XIV.
>>
>>378968610
This. Not even the Mana series nor the Chrono series was spared.

the last actual good game that came from them would probably be TWEWY. it's sad.
>>
>>378971432
So when I reach 35? Am I locked out of playing? Is it still 14 days?
>>
>>378971432
tbqh I'm looking forward to seeing what Arby's twitter does for Stormblood.
>>
>>378970849
fuccbois like Noctis and Prompto sure do.

I bet they shave their bp too.
>>
File: Dr. Pepper 01.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Pepper 01.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
>>378971491
No limit on playtime. Just the 35 cap.
>>
>>378971491
The time limit restriction is gone. You simply can't do quests over level 35 at that point. You are also missing a lot of other features too
>>
>>378971464
>the only one who wants to even make another twewy is nomura
>he's working on viire and kh3 for the very least until 2020
>most people just want him fired anyway
twewy 2 never :(
>>
>>378971457
Have they even released a good Crystal Chronicles after the first game? I'm legitimately curious.
>>
>>378971606
What missing features? I hope it's minor stuff like chat and AH maybe?
>>
>>378971684
What's that game even play like, is it like a traditional Final Fantasy or something different?
>>
>>378971225
>better series, SaGa
>better

I would have agreed with you during the third and fourth generations, but Kawazu wants to churn out Unlimited Saga clones and social media games at this point. We're not going to see another GB SaGa or Romancing SaGa ever again.

I'm fine with having no new SaGa games though. What we have is good enough. No need to shit up the series' canon with SE garbage.
>>
File: Honeybun.jpg (168KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Honeybun.jpg
168KB, 1152x2048px
>>378971752
Yea, social features.
>>
>>378971408
>The story was pretty good, but the linear presentation of it makes the game feel like a slog.
I'll fight you on this.

Tidus is a well written but annoying character (intentionally so), but the rest of the cast is so wooden that they don't alleviate this. The actual plot itself is painfully generic and uninteresting given the unique setup, and even more infuriating because the game starts you off with an unconventional progression before shoving you into a generic RPG outline. It's barely more of anything than IV, and that shit is as basic as you're gonna get with named characters and cutscenes.

There's good post-game content, but it takes far too long to get there and a lot of it relies on a willingness to grind after already dealing with a rather hefty game that offers little stimulation. That's not even getting into how the strong battle system is absolutely fucking neutered by the game's obsession with rock-paper-scissors enemies.

It's just straight up bad. Balls slow pacing without satisfying payoff, systems that are arguably even more poorly thought out than 2 and 8, and even a good chunk of the side content is just frustrating instead of interesting.

It had elements that pushed it to get the sales that it did, but it's the most apparent start of the absolutely horrendous design decisions that led to the franchise's decline.
>>
>>378971752
>>378971606
Curious about this as well.
>>
>>378971752
Level 35 cap. Gil cap of 50k I think. Can't shout, yell, tell in game. Can't use market boards. Can't trade. Can't use the mail service. Can't hire retainers. Can't create linkshells, but can join them. Cannot join or create Free Companies (guilds). Cannot create parties, can be invited to them. Can't do Palace of the Dead past floor 10.
>>
>>378971976
>systems that are arguably even more poorly thought out than 2 and 8,

How so?
>>
>>378971684
No.

I mean, if you like fuck around simulators Crystal Bearers is vaguely interesting, and Echoes of Time is a middling multiplayer game. Everything else is pretty shit. Thing is, it's all so incidental that you can sweep it under the rug and most consumers wouldn't even notice.
>>
>people actually pay to play XIV
>people actually liked XV & WoFF
>people actually think 7R will be good
>>
>>378971872
They just released Scarlet Grace, and that's looking to be really good, at least from what I've seen of it. I'm really hoping it gets an English release, but this is one of the few games I'll suffer through Japanese to actually play if need be.

>>378971830
CC? The gamecube one was an ARPG where you have an attack button and a magic/item button. You could mix magic, too, which allowed you to get higher level magic. The multiplayer part of it was what made it really fun, but it was such a pain setting that up.
>>
>>378972220
Not much wrong with World of FF. Maybe a bit on the easy side, desu, until the end. But it's mostly a game probably aimed at a younger audience
>>
File: Final Fantasy General.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy General.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
>>378972220
No one thinks FF7R will be good, but the other two are true.
>>
>>378972251
>>378971872
>SE will never make The Second Last Remnant
>>
>>378972357
>filename
kek. why don't those losers just go to the mobage general?
>>
>>378972148
Because at least with 2 and 8 it's reasonable that a player could ignore/not notice how easy it is to cheese the game and have a mildly satisfying, if kinda jank, experience.

X goes out of its way to show you that Dog = smack it with Tidus, float = hit it with Wakka, machine = steal with Rikku, etc. The game is going to be piss easy no matter what unless you go out of your way to ignore the game's advice and just be an asshole to yourself. The entire way the combat works is wasted because of this combined with how easy it is to fuck the default sphere grid sideways.

It's not as obviously broken, but it doesn't lend itself to engaging play even if you're casual. You have to really, REALLY want to get to that endgame content to actually get to anything engaging, and that's fucked. Maybe it's just me, though.
>>
>>378971029
>>378971029
>a poll from a literallywho site

Wow anon, great evidence!
>>
File: z0XE9ca.png (105KB, 1300x662px) Image search: [Google]
z0XE9ca.png
105KB, 1300x662px
>>378972360
Because the first one was unfinished trash.
>>
>>378972360
>>
>>378968376
>Bring back the old style
>Make it turned based again with more features
>Bring back the job system
>Instead of random encounters make it monsters roaming around the open world
>Make Matsuno write the story
>Make Yoshida the artist
>Make Uematsu the composer
>Don't let Nomura touch the game
>>
>>378972660
lol no
>>
>>378972251
>They just released Scarlet Grace

Which is tragically an Unlimited Saga clone. Handheld games rarely if ever have large budgets. No one anticipates they'll achieve the same sales as consoles.

>I'm really hoping it gets an English release

SE localization is shit. You're going to end up with similar quality as the RS2 localization for mobile.

SaGa is already a sore spot with Western gamers. SE isn't doing anybody any justice by localizing further SaGa titles. If SE actually outsourced the localization to a third party, maybe...
>>
>>378972645

Kill yourself as soon as possible.
>>
>>378972660
>Make it turned based again
There are only four mainline installments that are turn based though, three of which most people have never played.
>>
>>378972660
Uematsu flew the coop he's never coming back, besides he's too old. They got Shinomura now, or the FF12 guy.
>>
File: magical-girl-suffering.jpg (70KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
magical-girl-suffering.jpg
70KB, 700x393px
>>378972845
>Uematsu flew the coop he's never coming back
>post yfw
>>
>>378972845
>or the FF12 guy.

He's really only worked on Matsuno's projects. Never really been a FF mainstay.
>>
>>378972845
He literally made music for XIV.
>>
>>378972770
>Which is tragically an Unlimited Saga clone.
As long as it doesn't have the stupid wheel for attacks, I'd be somewhat okay with that as long as the other systems are more polished or at least explained in the game or manual.
>>
File: Stormblood.png (595KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
Stormblood.png
595KB, 1200x630px
>>378972660
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQm76wFfKk
>>
>>378972845
Uematsu freelances like shimomura
>>
>>378972984
He made the opening tracks because square gave him big bucks. Aside from that it's been the FFXIV composer. The age of Uematsu is over.
>>
>>378968376
They're mostly relying on FFXIV now which is still one of their biggest money makers.
>>
>>378972768
Shit taste
>>378972809
More like 9 but from VI and counting it was just adjusted into being timed.
>>
>>378973076

I'll never understand how/why.
>>
>>378973196
>shit taste
lol ok
>>
>>378968883

>The story is told from the main characters eyes

So basically the story of every fucking final fantasy game except VI? And Dragon Quest? Holy shit what a hack
>>
>>378972462
>The game is going to be piss easy no matter what

The optional content makes up for this. Progress far enough into the coliseum sidequest and you'll end up fighting enemies that absolutely require autistic levels of sphere grid customization.

I don't normally like piss easy games, but again, FFX is enjoyable solely because of its optional parts.
>>
>>378973272
lol faggot
>>
>>378973241
Over long periods of time? Got me.
I completely understand people playing it for 2/3 months per expansion, though. It's like buying a really fucking big RPG of medium quality.
>>
>>378973349
Sure showed me with this "no u" tier response
>>
>>378973076
I thought that was XI.
>>
>>378973342
>The optional content makes up for this. Progress far enough into the coliseum sidequest and you'll end up fighting enemies that absolutely require autistic levels of sphere grid customization.
>You have to really, REALLY want to get to that endgame content to actually get to anything engaging, and that's fucked.

I agree that there's good stuff at the end of the long tunnel of grind. I'm just saying that, as far as I'm concerned, it's unacceptable that you have to deal with garbage for that long just to get to the good stuff.
>>
>>378972660
>Make Yoshida the artist
He'll come up with not-2B and rake in the popularity.
>>
>>378973432
The well got shallow after 15 years and that shit doesn't have a cash shop where retards buy emotes for $5 a pop.
>>
>>378972462

To be fair, the original release was kind of shitty on the fact that if you didn't abuse the sphere grid to some degree, Seymour will fuck your shit six ways from Sunday. It's why for most players the Expert Grid is considered easier because it allows people options besides grind more.

The original game was damn near bullshit at times if you didn't know to spread out experience instead of one shotting trash mobs without swapping characters.

It is an easier game if you know what you are doing but if you don't, jesus christ it kicks your ass in the late game.
>>
>>378972660
As much as I love his work, I doubt he's ever going to be the main composer for another Square Enix game. I'm not even sure why, but I thought he just didn't want to work with them as much anymore since he went on to work with Sakaguchi and Mistwalker instead.

Instead of him, I'd rather Kumi Tanioka, who worked on Crystal Chronicles and FFXI, or Naoshi Mizuta, also from FFXI, do soundtracks for the rest of the mainline games. Shimomura is good, but I don't really like the songs she's done for the FF games. I could just be biased since the games she's done soundtracks for haven't been good, though, because I know that she's done really good work before in other games.
>>
>Uematsu

Peaked with 8.
>>
>>378973430
Yeah and any of your shallow response is any different?
lol ok
>>
Take the battle and job system from X-2 and make an Ivalice game out of it.
There, Final Fantasy is saved.
>>
>>378972220
WoFF was pretty fun honestly and had some nice post game content and a great first credit part. Also music was surprisingly good
>>
>>378973817
Hamauzu > Mizuta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxJE6SSX-aw
>>
>>378968376

Hold on guys.

What if.

They forced Yoko Taro to work with Nomura?
>>
>>378973653
$7*

Also, the outfits probably make them more money. Each one goes for about $12 if not more.
>>
File: Last_Story_Box_Art.jpg (43KB, 250x355px) Image search: [Google]
Last_Story_Box_Art.jpg
43KB, 250x355px
I guess, we should start supporting Mistwalker more and hope for a sequel of pic related?
>>
>keeps going with no u
not even worth responding to anymore
>>
>>378974005
No more Nomura, please.
Anything he works on turns out to be hot garbage while being overhyped.
>>
>>378974104
Was this game any good?
>>
>>378973981
>fun

Buzzword that means absolutely nothing when discussing a game's objective qualities.
>>
File: 1357034132705.jpg (363KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
1357034132705.jpg
363KB, 3000x2250px
>>378973076
>They're mostly relying on FF Mobile games now
ftfy
>>
lol what a trogoldyte
chimp out more
>>
>>378974197

it was really mediocre
>>
>>378974104
Yeah, really great game i especially loved how combat literally played itself because the controls were walk at an enemy and you auto fight. Truly fun game.
>>
>>378974195

>TFW The guy behind Kingdom hearts and FFX has gone full artistic vision retard

XIII was a mistake.
>>
>>378973994
Hamauzu is the guy that does the SaGa soundtracks that weren't done by Itoken, right? I would love for him to do more FF music.
>>
>can't even form an original post, just keeps going with no u
sad really
>>
>>378974225
wew lad
>>
>>378968376
XIV already saved
>>
>>378974330
>The guy behind
>FFX
>XIII
Anon you are fucking retarded
>>
File: 1446857091667.jpg (53KB, 600x641px) Image search: [Google]
1446857091667.jpg
53KB, 600x641px
>>378968376
>how do we save the series

What does it matter to you? What does any series matter to you? The old games that you enjoy are still there, maybe if you fucking faggots pushed for new IPs worth taking risks on, instead of shitty ass series that stagnate, gaming as a whole would be much better overall today.
>>
>>378974324
>>378974225
>>
>>378970849
I do because that's where most of your funk is plus you don't have to worry about ingrown hairs
>>
>>378974552

Except he clearly explained why the combat was trash.

Idiot.
>>
>>378968883
And then there's the real reason, they left huge gaps in the story so they could sell them later as DLC.
>>
>>378974405
Yes he did Frontier II and Unlimited, pretty sure he's done the second most for FF behind Uematsu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USVgKQLYqSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBF7U2ZVdug
>>
>>378973756
I just hated that the only time I felt like I was doing anything clever was when I used reflect on the guardian beast in Zanarkand.

And then I realized, no, you're supposed to do that, and it felt lame.
>>
>>378974232
Well no wonder they shit so many bad mobile games out.

>>378974330
Those are three different directors.
>>
>>378974197
I think you should see for yourself. I personally enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZcUQkcym6k
>>
File: DBUipmmXsAEJpr4.jpg (253KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
DBUipmmXsAEJpr4.jpg
253KB, 1280x960px
>FF thread
Please no this shit should be banned forever. It's just people instulting each other and telling each other how shit thier opinion is.
>>
>>378972809
The only final fantasy that weren't turn based were XII and XV

ATB is still turn based
>>
>>378975029
The same can be said of all video game threads.
>>
>>378975029
Really no different than the rest of /v/
>>
>>378968983

Fire him as director because he's unrelentingly incompetent.
>>
>>378974549
How can an IP stagnate when they're not even trying to keep anything standard between sequels.
>>
>>378973241
Despite what poorfags think, subscription based MMOs have better progression, less grinding, and better player service than reemium mmos
>>
>>378975062
ATB is based on time, turn based is based on turns.
>>
>>378975062
Literally the only actual turn-based game in the series is FFX.
>>
>>378975009
Is the camera as bad as it seems in that video?
>>
>>378971432

What's with Nips and doing ridiculous advertising campaigns w/ random companies like Papa John's, Carl's Jr. and Pepsi?
>>
>>378974232
I hate mobile games so fucking much. They've already effectively killed handhelds
>>
>>378975062
Technically not.
Let's say we play chess, but suddenly change the rules and you can move a chess piece everytime you run 20 meters, is it still turn based when the faster guy can suddenly do 3 moves more than the other one? By that logic XV is also turn based just tons of turn
>>
>>378975203
MMOs in general are terrible. I doubt they make decent money off that garbage.
>>
>>378975424

Wendy's and Arby's do it for free.
>>
>>378975224
Time is only a measurement used to determine whose turn comes up. The entire system is still turn based
>>
>>378968376

Considering XV was a success for SE, no it wasn't. Stop spouting this stupid meme. Just because you hate it doesn't mean it was a failure.
>>
>>378975563
I-is this him?
>>
>>378969798

Well Square Enix has released more FF's I've enjoyed from about 2014-2017 than during the same equivalent stretch of 2010-2013 so there's that to think about. People are just unrelentingly butthurt about one console game as this worst thing ever and ignore or don't care about anything else and really shouldn't have their opinion taken terrible seriously anyway.

Not gonna say FF is some flawless series or even has the same kind of consistency it seemed to be managing in the late 90's under Sakaguchi but a lot of this FF is dying stuff really just kind of feels like shitposting stacked up against the hard evidence. When literally anybody that doesn't join the chorus is just labelled "FFXV-Kun" and dismissed though it's like who gives a shit about what some of the people talking here think either.
>>
>>378975482
People don't play MMOs. They just subscribe to them and sometimes log in to talk to people or do daily quests nowadays.
>>
>>378975468
There are static turn based systems where someone can still have multiple turns before another person can act if their speed is high enough. Once again time is only a measurement used to determine turns, it still qualifies as a turn based system
>>
Personally I think the series is fine. XIV 1.0 was a disaster but 2.0 saved it. XI still going with a stable sub base. XV is taking too long with the DLC and just releasing bullshit updates with lame costumes that nobody wants but the game itself is great.

13 was alright, 13-2 was a bit better and LR was a mistake but it still wasn't that bad.

Releasing all the games on steam is also a good move.
>>
>>378968376
>nail in the coffin
>when the series is as popular as ever
???
>>
>>378975482
Stop being retarded
>>
>>378973637

He has more integrity than that...at least I think. Not really seeing any not 2B for Stormblood. Doesn't appear to be one for Octopath Traveller either. They might not have had a chance to react to 2B's designs popularity with horny weebs mind you but it's not like he hasn't had hit character designs before, just that's the one people obsess over right now.
>>
>>378975482
Yeah i'm sure that's why it got multiple expansions
>>
>>378968376
Leave FF to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1h1MinlLI
>>
>>378975546
No it's not, the combat is not divided into turns. If I just sit there with the controller on the ground the enemy will still attack me which will also happen in XV but it won't happen in an SMT game.

I, II, III and X are the only turn based mainline Final Fantasy games.
>>
>>378975804
Sorry your ERP simulator is garbage. Even blizzard makes more money from overwatch than wow at this point.
>>
>>378975738
>the game itself is great

I will be we understand how anyone can think XV is a good game.

It blows my mind
>>
File: 1351292480112.jpg (124KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1351292480112.jpg
124KB, 337x367px
>>378976064
I'm pretty sure I told you to stop being retarded
>>
>>378975424
Less cringey than traditional commercials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfFucIuuw2I
>>
File: maxresdefault-51.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-51.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
>>378976108
When you have the best story in over a decade it's hard not to like it.
>>
>>378976126
See
>>378974232
>>
File: Rest Point Camp Prompto Gaming.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
Rest Point Camp Prompto Gaming.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
>>378975434
But they keep FF alive. Without the whaling mobile games did, we wouldn't have the great games like FF15 we have today.
>>
>>378976064
>I doubt they make decent money off the MMO
>even blizzard makes more money from overwatch than wow at this point
You're pretty dumb, anon.
>>
need to convince them that turn based isn't a bad thing
>>
File: 1462495870474.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1462495870474.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>>378976108
>I will be we understand how
>>
>>378976195
The campfire scene was good, aside from that it's not really a great story and it still has quite a few gaps and the devs basicly know it too.
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/filename/maxresdefault-51.jpg/
And try to mix it up once in a while
>>
>>378975468
>is it still turn based when the faster guy can suddenly do 3 moves more than the other one?

Yes. Actions aren't taken simultaneously. Every move is turn-per-turn, even if newly imposed time-based rules allow some players to assume multiple consecutive turns.

By its nature, chess can't involve simultaneous moves. How would players reconcile when simultaneous moves conflict? ATB-based games have a similar fundamental problem. Two or more participants in the battle can't actually assume their turns simultaneously. The game would have to reconcile how it applies damage, status effects or other conditions that might conflict with a simultaneously occurring action.
>>
>>378976345
When's the last time they bragged about how much money they made from wow? I doubt it was 500 million. MMOfags are too easy
>>
>>378976316
>40 million is somehow not decent
Anon himself made decent money the bar to surpass.
Not the most profitable endeavor a company has =/= not profitable at all
>>
>>378976395
When a Persona game sells 5M+ copies, maybe they'll reconsider it.
>>
>>378976480
Making more money from something else doesn't make the MMO not profitable.
They wouldn't support the game if it wasn't profitable.
Hearthstone makes more money than Overwatch, is Overwatch therefore a shit investment for Blizzard?
>>
Fresh [good] ideas are all that's needed. I think a good FF game could have two contrasting battle systems where one is turn-based and applies to civilized places like cities where the law dictates how you must battle or be put to death and outside is the Wilderness where battles are real-time and there's no rules, just survival by any means of attack or defense such as just running from everything or creating smokescreens to elude enemies. The endgame involves the struggle against the gods of order and chaos and ties in all FF games as in each world in the series you loosely progressively had more freedom in battle, reflecting the regression of order back to chaos, the primordial state of existence in the Void.

You can progress in the game in one of two ways: you can focus on improving your performance in turn-based battles or real-time savagery and this affects your story progression options later in the game.
>>
>>378976580
All six mainline Persona games sales combined haven't reached 5 million.
>>
File: 1410192331846.jpg (14KB, 200x219px) Image search: [Google]
1410192331846.jpg
14KB, 200x219px
>>378976316
>$200million+ from subs isn't decent money
>>
>>378976195

>story gutted for a shitty movie
>good
>>
>>378976708
Well, it probalby also comes down to budget. Nier Automata sold a quarter of FFXV, but i highly doubt that Nier costs even a quarter of FFXVs budget especially all the marketing
>>
>>378977016
and note that Nier Automata wasn't as disappointing as XV was.
>>
>>378968376
We got 10 mostly pretty great games out of the series.

Let it go man.
>>
the bravely default game sold really well and that still wasn't enough to convince them

it's the same issue with capcom, they won't make any game unless it's guaranteed to make a shit ton of money
>>
>>378976973
>Kingsglaive
>Bad
It was better than the game because we got to see actually see the invasion and politics behind the premise of the game.
>>
>>378977305
It feels like a totalyl different universe it's so weird. Insomnia and the whole political aspect and the empire barely mattered in the game
>>
>>378977386
>Insomnia and the whole political aspect and the empire barely mattered in the game
Yup the Empire gets one scene in the game and then everything else happens off screen which is what Tabata wanted >>378968883 but I was hoping that the game would have elder god tier world building like the movie was implying.
>>
>>378977305
also actually see firsthand what the big deal is with the ring and why noctis is so reluctant to wear it
>>
>>378977530
The dumb things is that we still see quite a few scenes that are not seen from Noctis' eyes. It's just another one of his stupid excuses
>>
>>378977727
Yeah that one scene where Ravus is talking to Luna and when Luna meets Umbra after the invasion come to my mind.
I haven't played Type-0 but Crisis Core and The Third Birthday's stories were both disaster zones which were both Tabata.
>>
Bring back qt rat people.
>>
File: 1481297338729.png (88KB, 181x172px) Image search: [Google]
1481297338729.png
88KB, 181x172px
>>378977103
>Nier Automata wasn't as disappointing as XV was.
>>
File: NieR.png (2MB, 1456x815px) Image search: [Google]
NieR.png
2MB, 1456x815px
>>378977871
Not sure if you're shitposting or not but I genuinely liked the first NieR more than Automata.
>>
>>378977960
I just thought the open world in Automata was boring, bland and empty. And the bare bones quest system didn't help. Should've just stuck with a linear, action game like it was for the first hour of the game.
>>
>>378977960
I liked it's characters more, aside from that they both have good and not so good points, but i loved both of them.
>>
>>378977960
Who's that faggy bitch boy and where is the manly rugged protagonist?
>>
File: 1494793373114.jpg (89KB, 570x385px) Image search: [Google]
1494793373114.jpg
89KB, 570x385px
Bring back Ivalice stuff like XII

Not full retard modern magitek like XIII and XV
>>
>>378978064
Compared to the first Nier or XV, cause imo the world in XV isn't anything special either. It looks better because it had infinite budget and it's own engine shit but it's still pretty empty the quests are way worse than Automata, at least teh quests in Automata have some interesting stories attached to them here and there.
>>
File: Matsuno Returns.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Matsuno Returns.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>378978180
>Bring back Ivalice stuff like XII
>>
>>378977830
Type-0's story turned out to be a disaster as well.
>>
Don't try to innovate and go for state of the art graphics and tech demo garbage.
>>
>>378968376
Final Fantasy V 3D Remake
>>
File: zero-.png (94KB, 238x232px) Image search: [Google]
zero-.png
94KB, 238x232px
>>378978107
That's Nier but he's Yonah's brother rather than father in the Japanese version.
>>
>>378978361
Yes, but in the style of DS III and IV? No.
>>
File: 1-2-hurts-just-a-little-bit.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1-2-hurts-just-a-little-bit.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
>>378978071
>TFW no Weiss, Kaine, Emil banter when doing side quests in Automata
>>
>>378968376

Let Taro make FF XVI
Bring back Uematsu to make a full soundtrack
>>
>>378978751
>Let Taro make FF XVI
will never happen
>>
>>378978751
Taro needs to stay away from Final Fantasy.
>>
>>378978920
Do we give Tabata another chance?
>>
>>378979017
Heck no. No more chances for that guy.
>>
>>378979017
Fuck no
>>
>>378978751
>XV was centered around adventures of homophobic-looking boy band
>>Taro makes XVI
>will center around the exploits of homoerotic lesbians

i mean, why not?
>>
>>378978751
Uematsu hasn't done a full soundtrack since IX which was 17 years ago.
>>
>>378979170
>will center around the exploits of homoerotic lesbians
x-2 did it
>>
>>378979170
I meant homosexual sorry
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>378979251
>TFW hot springs scene at Gagazet in X-2
>>
File: final-fantasxvi.jpg (726KB, 1508x876px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasxvi.jpg
726KB, 1508x876px
>>378978751
What SE needs to do is bring in completely new talent, people we haven't heard of before and let them do something.

Maybe even fans of the franchise already working in the industry, or even their company.
>>
>>378979170
I'd play it.
>>
>>378978439
Going back to them, they're not really as bad as I initially thought. Plus, the DS version of III upgraded on pc looks pretty smooth. But I wouldn't mind 3D remakes of V and VI going in a different direction.
>>
>Agni's Philosophy centers around a Girl and a Dragon
>Taro is now a more valuable asset to SE
There's an obvious path here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU
>>
>>378979987
>inb4 tabata makes it into FF16 and just another forced drama tech demo
>>
>>378980120
someone needs to kill tabata already.
>>
File: TWEWY.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TWEWY.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
>>378968376

Square needs to put Final Fantasy on the back burner for a few more years. Just forget about it and rebuild their company from the ground up. They need to hire new and fresh character designers, game devs, and try a bunch of different low budget new IPs.

Get back to that creativity that brought us Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Front Mission, and Parasite Eve. They can't keep chasing that FF7 high forever
>>
File: WWWWWWWW.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WWWWWWWW.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>378980228
At the very least he can't touch another Final Fantasy game in his life.
>>
>>378980330
Nah they're too afraid of hiring new people for higher up positions, they'd rather enslave the same 2-3 people until they're dead.
Some of the best are just freelancers at this point
>>
>>378980330
>Get back to that creativity that brought us Chrono Trigger

About that, they tried it via Tokyo RPG Factor with I Am Setsuna.

But that game just fell short than what it tried to sell itself as.

i enjoyed it tho. it's not really that bad.
>>
>>378980341
Post the cup noodles one.
>>
>>378980731
*Tokyo RPG Factory
>>
>>378978751
>Bring back Uematsu

Is he even as good as he used to be? I mean if we could bring back prime Uematsu sure but the 90's aren't coming back anytime soon.
>>
File: ffxv_end.jpg (336KB, 830x1700px) Image search: [Google]
ffxv_end.jpg
336KB, 830x1700px
>>378980978
>>
>>378980731
I really liked I am Setsuna, but the price was a bit too steep when it came out, i'll also byu their next game even though it just looks like IAS without snow
>>
>>378981196
Lost Odyssey OST was pretty good and he made a few tracks in FF14 that are good, i don't know what else hes done since then.
I think he's working on the Platinum GranBlue game right now
>>
>>378981196
I don't think we will ever get 90's Uematsu again, but his OST for Losy Odyssey was godtier. Granted that was in 2007.
>>
>>378981682
I really liked his stuff from Blue Dragon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv2bCvqYcdY
ETERNITY grew on me, too
>>
File: 1495219727547.jpg (93KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495219727547.jpg
93KB, 720x960px
>>378981682
>Granted that was in 2007
fug
>>
>>378981458
Yes, that's the problem with it. IAS's plot is basically a simplified FFX story, with not much content, and 16 hours of gameplay (which is very short for an RPG), the price for it was too much.

I'm still looking forward to Lost Sphear. But I really think Tokyo RPG Factory could do better.
>>
>>378978751
I hope they have Shimomura doing the OST for the next games.
I thoroughly enjoyed the battle music in XV, which is an aspect of the games that have been constant disappointment for me since X.
>>
File: O8bJjvQ.png (130KB, 584x458px) Image search: [Google]
O8bJjvQ.png
130KB, 584x458px
>>378982160
>I hope they have Shimomura doing the OST for the next games.
God no, anyone but her.
Also Blinded by Light was better than any normal battle theme in XV.
>>
>>378982160
Does Shimomura even want to do another Final Fantasy? Keep in mind she was part of the XV crew since it was Versus, lord only knows how many of her songs were dropped during the shake up. I would wager a guess that being part of that shit show for 10 years would sourer the experience a bit.
>>
>>378968376
>FFXV after years of hype turned out to be shit
>FFVIIR is epi$odic and is going to take years just for the first episode
>FFXVI won't be for years, if ever
>it'll be shit
Why live
>>
File: 1261587970637.jpg (150KB, 956x1054px) Image search: [Google]
1261587970637.jpg
150KB, 956x1054px
>>378982373
>Also Blinded by Light was better than any normal battle theme in XV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DGq51cEVQ
>>
>>378982373
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The OST in XIII is exactly what I would call soulless and forgettable, while at the same time being perfectly aware that that's what a lot of other people consider XV's soundtrack to be.

But I don't know, there's just something about it that rouses memories of the earlier games to me.
>>
>>378982721
FF7r part 1 will release in 2017.
Will hang if false.
Screenshot this post for E3.
>>
>>378982762
>wiseguy240 Winston2 months ago
Sora Jēmuzu it's almost as good as blinded by light this is my 2nd favorite battle theme.
Literally BTFO in the comments.
>>
File: 1494907900413.png (335KB, 753x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1494907900413.png
335KB, 753x1010px
Anyone wanna come play FF TCG with me?
>>
>>378982923
Better get the noose ready
>>
>>378983043
Triple Triad or gtfo
>>
>>378982837
>soulless
This is honestly the stupidest buzzword ever, calling either OST soulless is hilariously stupid.
>>
>>378983118
>Triple Triad
No, you gay!
>>
>>378982160
XV is prett yinconsistent in terms of OST imo, it feels like there was a V13 part of the OST and a XV part of the of the OST, the XV part just sound too over the top and epic most of the time or something that you barely notice in the background
>>
>>378982923
Nah their big game for 2018 in the west will be DQ and KH3, 7R will be out 2019 and the marevl IP 2020
>>
>>378968376
Make a new tactics game, for god's sake. It's not that hard.
>>
>>378968376
It's simple. We go back in time and prevent Spirits Within from being made.
>>
the Square side of SE is just a shadow of its former glory.

it's just like a sad reminder of a bygone era.
>>
>>378968376
By doing FFV again.
>>
>>378985952
Weakest SNES FF.
>>
>>378986206
In Bizarro world, maybe.
>>
File: tfw2smartformemes.jpg (1MB, 4030x4096px) Image search: [Google]
tfw2smartformemes.jpg
1MB, 4030x4096px
>>378986247
VI > IV > V
>>
>>378986429
Literally the opposite. V>IV>VI
>>
>>378975482
Despite the MMO aspect, ARR did actually feel more like a Final Fantasy game than 13 and 15.
>>
File: final-fantasy-vi.jpg (1MB, 957x1484px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-vi.jpg
1MB, 957x1484px
>>378986575
Literally wrong.
>>
>>378968471
its fucking episodic. worst part is you think you're being played to pay for each disc but no you're paying for 10 parts.
>>
>>378986846
No. VI has horrible gameplay.
>>
FFT2. Sprite graphics only, no more pandering to Japanese fashion.
>>
>>378986575
>>378986429
V > VI > IV
>>
>>378986575
not him but in my opinion, V felt like a rehash of I and III put together, plus a sprinkle of IV.

>the plot goes the characters are chosen by the crystals (FFI & FFIII)
>crystal grants the characters the job system (FFIII)
>Exdeath literally Golbez 2.0 (FFIV)
>>
>>378986960
V has the worst story, OST and characters of the SNES trilogy as well as no optional characters like VI has.
VI is called the king for a reason.
>>
>>378987169
Because it looked good relative to the JRPGs that were stateside at the time and its reputation gets to coast off of that?
>>
>>378972770
>Which is tragically an Unlimited Saga clone.
Please explain, I have the game and I'm very curious to hear how it is an Unlimited clone when it plays nothing alike.
>>
Someone buy me FF6 on Steam
>>
>>378972330
>>378973981
Let's not forget the top tier dialogues please.
http://youtu.be/InMP0spH27E
>>
>>378987694
What's in it for me?
>>
>>378987708
What's the context here and is WoFF better than XV?
>>
>>378987843
A suffering destiny down in hell because the PC Version of FFVI fucking sucks and nobody should ever support it.
>>
>>378987925
Silly dialogues, Awful plot and "I'll tell yopu over and over again the exact same tutorial because why the fuck not!". If it's better or not depends of you, they're both different genres of games that plays differently.
>>
>>378968376
FFXIV used to be good but they're ruining that too because all they care about now is money. They don't give a flying fuck about making a good game anymore. So much for all the apologies about 1.0 and vowing to never let their fans down again.
>>
>>378987964
Wkwhat's worse? Just the art?
>>
>>378988052
>Silly dialogues, Awful plot and "I'll tell yopu over and over again the exact same tutorial because why the fuck not!".
So Persona 5?
>>
>>378968376
theyre already copying western mmos so maybe they should copy western rpgs as well. FFXV makes me think they want to make a morrowind or gothic style game
>>
File: tfw.jpg (129KB, 1313x747px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
129KB, 1313x747px
>>378987964
>The PC/mobile ports are how everyone will remember V and VI now
>>
>>378969000
FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME

IT IS NOT EPISODIC YOU FUCKING RETARDS
>>
File: WoW.png (495KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
WoW.png
495KB, 1360x768px
>>378988123
>now
>>
>>378968376
I like that no matter how many times people get shit on for assuming that their opinion is shared by the rest of the board they still continue to bull rush ahead and present themselves as representatives of everyone else.
>>
>>378988337
Square Enix has clarified the episodic structure of its Final Fantasy 7 Remake, stating it will be comprised of multiple, full-sized games instead of a series of smaller episodes.

The details were revealed in the latest issue of Game Informer, in which producer Yoshinori Kitase said the development team was using Final Fantasy XIII series, which encompassed a total of three games, as the model.

"This reimagined epic will be the next core Final Fantasy instalment--or rather, instalments," Game Informer's writer states. "When the project was first announced, people were confused by its multi-part nature, but the goal is to structure it more like Final Fantasy XIII than an episodic series."

Kitase adds: "It will essentially be a full scale game for each part of the multi-part series. In XIII, each instalment told the story from a different angle. It was kind of like approaching an unknown territory in a sense."
>>
>>378988152
The art, the pointless blurry that messes things up, Something about the portraits of the characters in the dialogue boxes and they also messed with how the tiles for the maps works, there's a really good post about how fucked up it is right here: http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-FFVI-edition
>>
>>378988661
How the fuck do I play FFVI then?
>>
>>378988759
SNES or GBA with a sound restoration patch, playing on a console or an emulator is up to you.
>>
File: 1478532179985.gif (3MB, 400x304px) Image search: [Google]
1478532179985.gif
3MB, 400x304px
>>378988759
Honestly, just don't play them. They're ripe with glitches.
>>
>>378988494
So they're making FFXIII but with a FFVII skin?

Ew.
>>
>>378990538
Are you stupid
>>
>>378990773
Not as stupid as whoever in PR thought they should even mention FFXIII or use it as a model for making other games.
>>
>>378988494
>FFXIII's story was told in installments

And it became a clusterfuck.

Inb4 but muh lore.
>>
Can I have some help?
If I buy this https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/444583/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download
Can I actually play the game today? It says pre-order on it, but I can't find anything else.
>>
>>378990932
So you are
>>
>>378988838
>GBA with a sound restoration patch

The GBA version has an even shittier translation. And the shoehorned extras are incredibly out of place.

The SNES version is fine, although I would recommend bugpatching it. If you can play it in Japanese, then even better. You won't have to deal with any of NoA's censorship. The PS1 version remedies that as well, but good luck with those load times.
>>
>>378990932
This. There's a reason they took out just about every connection to FNC in FFXV.
>>
>>378991019
You need to look at that page a bit closer.
>>
>>378991174
what do you mean
>>
>>378991019
It doesn't look like it will let you play it until the 20th, unfortunately. If you want to start playing now, you can do the free trial while you wait for the game to unlock. It lets you level up to 35, I think, for each job outside of the expansion exclusive ones. It has chat restrictions, though, as well as some other stuff, but the gameplay itself should be left alone aside from the level restriction.
>>
>>378991051
>There's a reason they took out just about every connection to FNC in FFXV.
Yeah because Tabata is a hack who ruined the original vision.
>>
>>378968376
I like FFXV up until the game shits itself in chapter 9.
>>
>>378968376
its too late for final fantasy. but i can still lock myself in a room with my crtv with my snes and ps1 and pretend its the glory days of the mid to late 90s
>>
File: 1482536218427.jpg (42KB, 677x381px) Image search: [Google]
1482536218427.jpg
42KB, 677x381px
>>378991472
At least he can ship games.
>>
I've accepted that Final Fantasy will never be great again. It can still be fun though. But if you're expecting great stories, good side quests and great gameplay then you'll be disappointed. I still haven't picked up 15 yet. I'll pick it up for 29.99.
>>
>>378971225
While SaGa is the better series it doesn't have the sort of appeal Final Fantasy has. SaGa will forever be a niche series just due to its approach it takes for mechanics. It frustrates most people that play JRPG's so the series would have to be reworked to something more palatable to appeal to the most people.

Thankfully the creator doesn't give a fuck and does what he wants. /v/ complains about most series being casualized, but SaGa will be that one that it will never happen to.
>>
Let's get this over with

13 > 15
No, I'm not sucking 13's dick
>>
>>378991472
>implying there was ever a coherent vision for Vs XIII
>>
>>378968376
release XII on steam
>>
>>378991803
They are both mediocre for different reasons.
>>
>>378991803
This

>>378991893
But also this
>>
>>378991803
I liked both, but I couldn't go back and play 13 again.
>>
>>378974225
Fucking retard, if it is fun, it's good. Only purpose of a game.
>>
>>378974225
You're entirely correct, the correct attribute that should be associated with WoFF is being cute
>>
>>378970682
>The problem is that X sold pretty much on graphics and brand recognition
And the good story you retard. That's all anyone ever talked about back then.

>>378970329
>>378969686
>>378968610
The merger is part of it but the main thing was the loss of Sakaguchi and the dude behind FFT. Which was completely because of the failed movie.
>>
>>378991803
Neither of them are as awful as /v/ says they are but they're not that great either.
>>
This thread is fukin cancer.
>>
File: ffx_ending.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ffx_ending.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>>378992485
The entire time I was playing XV I was hoping that it would have an ending as good as X's but it didn't.

>>378992556
Both are unironically better than VIII.
>>
File: q.png (299KB, 373x648px) Image search: [Google]
q.png
299KB, 373x648px
I have zero issues with what happened to FF, VII and XIII are my favorite titles.
I think way too many people are (for whatever reason) latching onto FF as "the" turn-based series when it's systems were always incredibly flawed.
>>
File: 1496263235541.jpg (37KB, 400x387px) Image search: [Google]
1496263235541.jpg
37KB, 400x387px
>>378992659
>FF thread is cancer
>>
>>378992704
>Both are unironically better than VIII.
lol
>>378992556
Both of them are garbage and don't remotely resemble of a FF game.
>>
>>378992842
>VIII apologists
Literally almost as bad as XV-kun.
>>
File: fun is a buzzword.jpg (206KB, 940x1020px) Image search: [Google]
fun is a buzzword.jpg
206KB, 940x1020px
>>378974225
>>
>>378991759
SaGa wasn't a niche series until Wada put it in the backburner after Minstrel Song, which sold well over a million copies, it was also the first million seller for Squaresoft and sold consistently well until the PS2 days, it is niche in the west because it's too WRPG for the JRPG crowd and viceversa.
>/v/ complains about most series being casualized
That is irrelevant since /v/ praises and idolizes the most casual garbage like god's gift to mankind, see FF and especially people like XV-Kun.
If /v/ cared about actual hardcore games it would be all over games like SaGa, but it's not.
>>
>>378992704
I won't say that VIII is great, but i had a lot more fun with it than 13 and 15, it has a great OST, some of the best towns in FF, triple triad is the best mini game and it has the best summons and optional content
>>
>>378992948
Music, art design, lore, and characters alone are objectively better.
>>
>>378992948
VIII at least had a good card game inside the game which gave magic so you could ignore playing the bad part of the game and just progress the story enough to play more of the good part of the game. I don't remember FFXIII or FFXV having a good game hidden inside a bad game.
>>
File: Barret.jpg (6KB, 192x217px) Image search: [Google]
Barret.jpg
6KB, 192x217px
>>378990932
>whoever in PR
The person who made the comparison was Yoshinori Kitase, the director of the original FFVII and producer of FFXIII. Of course he's going to use a recent modern Final Fantasy project he was involved in to give an example of the scale for another modern Final Fantasy project he's involved in.

Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>378993129
>it is niche in the west
Fair enough with that.
>That is irrelevant since /v/ praises and idolizes the most casual garbage like god's gift to mankind
Can't help wanting to try to guide people into something that they claim they want. Maybe they just really want these easy to understand and accessible JRPG's but don't want to admit it. I mean that's fine.
>>
>>378993129
>/v/ complains about most series being casualized
>/v/ is one person

/v/ is a lot more diverse than you think. It's just the most retarded individuals who happen to be the most vocal, or have the most free time to invest in rapid shitposting.
>>
File: 1488158263025.gif (3MB, 320x352px) Image search: [Google]
1488158263025.gif
3MB, 320x352px
>>378992705
>I have zero issues with what happened to FF, VII and XIII are my favorite titles.
I wish I could get behind 13. Every time I play it I get angry. I wasn't even a big FF fan at the time.
>>
File: Screenshot_26.jpg (10KB, 268x109px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_26.jpg
10KB, 268x109px
>>378993617
I wish I liked it more as Fang is my favourite character.
>>
>>378993723
>not Sazh
Did Fang even do anything in the first six hours? I don't remember too much of that game other than it took like 25 hours to get past the tutorial.
>>
>>378988494
Ah yes, XIII, the full-scale game, except it completely ditched everything even vaguely resembling an overworld and populated city hubs and instead made the game a single 40-hour dungeon.
I really wish they would make the remake of Final Fantasy VII to be like Final Fantasy VII but I guess that would be too much to ask in this day and age.
>>
File: Fangwhitebrand.jpg (11KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Fangwhitebrand.jpg
11KB, 240x240px
>>378993723
Good taste, Fang is S tier FF girls.
>>
>>378988494
So it's confirmed shit.

Damn that sucks.
>>
>>378993617
Ehh, I hate X with similar passion. Probably just a dislike for the characters and setting. No big deal, honestly.

>>378993723
>>378993868
>Fang
Excellent taste.

>>378993841
She's the last playable character and is teased early on as being a bad guy for capturing Snow.
Sazh is probably one of the best male character of FF, shame SE tokenized him with the startled yelling and afro.
>>
>>378993850
I bet all you faggots misunderstanding this fell for the the "not releasing until 2020" clickbait too
>>
>>378968376
It certainly was for me.
>>
>>378994541
>The final nail not being FFXIII
>>
>>378995418
>The final nail not being FFXII
>>
>>378995418
it came after an incredibly decent title. It was a misstep is all.
Don't even bring up the sequels, those were only made because of the inept developers behind XIV.
>>
>>378995902
>The final nail not being FFXI
>>
>>378995960
>The final nail not being FFX
>>
>>378996041
>The final nail not being FFIX
>>
>>378996101
>The final nail not being FFVIII
>>
>>378996101
>The final nail not being FFVIII
>>
>>378996149
>>378996164
>The final nail not being FFVII
>>
>>378996190
>The final nail not being FFVI
>>
I want to see how far this goes.
>>
>>378996270
>The final nail not being V
>>
>>378996368
>The final nail not being IV
>>
>>378996394
>The final nail not being III
>>
>>378996435
>The final nail not being II
>>
>>378996435
>The final nail not being II
>>
>>378996459
>The final nail not being I
>>
>>378996368
>The final nail not being 2.
>>
File: Rad_racer_box_front.jpg (40KB, 256x358px) Image search: [Google]
Rad_racer_box_front.jpg
40KB, 256x358px
>>378996517
>The final nail not being Rad Racer
>>
>>378996517
>The final nail not being alpha build 0.1
>>
>>378996517
>The final nail not being Dragon Quest in 1986 before FF even existed
>>
File: The_death_trap_scan.gif (139KB, 360x500px) Image search: [Google]
The_death_trap_scan.gif
139KB, 360x500px
>>378996605
>The final nail not being The Death Trap
>>
>>378996687
>The final nail not being Ultima
>>
>>378996860
>The final nail not being FFXIII
>>
>>378997035
>The final nail not being FFXII
>>
>>378997084
>The final nail not being FFXI
>>
>>378997084
THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIFE
>>
File: tiduscry.jpg (123KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tiduscry.jpg
123KB, 1920x1080px
YAMEROOOOOOO
>>
FuAINaRuFuANTaShi
How the fuck do people read Japanese? Gives me a headache whenever I try to read kana
>>
File: x-25.png (680KB, 807x1266px) Image search: [Google]
x-25.png
680KB, 807x1266px
The dream team:
Hiroyuki Ito- director and battle designer(director of FF6, 9, 12. He also was until recently the main battle designer, created ATB and the job system)
Yasumi Matsuno - writer (FFT, Vagrant Story, Original FF12 director and writer)
Akihiko Yoshida - character designer
Soundtrack - Hitoshi Sakimoto(FFT, Vagrant Story, FF12), Keiichi Okabe(Nier), Masayoshi Soken(FFXIV)

Don't let Toriyama, Tobata, Yoshinori Kitase, Kazushige Nojima anywhere near the game.
For those who question "why Nojima and Kitase?":
Kitase is butt buddy of Toriyama. He's the one who enabled all his faggotry like X-2 and XIII trilogy.
Also according to recent Nomura interview he wanted to kill everyone but 3 characters in the parachute Midgard mission(only 3 chosen to be played survive, rest die) BECAUSE DRAMA MUH EMOTIONS. Nomura stopped him.

Nojima is a faggot who ruined X lore with X-2.5 and -Will-(pic related).
>b-but Kitase directed FF7 and it's good
>b-but Nojima wrote FF10 and it's good
Yeah, because Sakaguchi was still in SE back then. He was holding their faggotry in check. Look up original Honey Bee Inn by Toriyama. It was gutted more than MgsV because original was total trainwreak with insane amount of faggotry and even had some pedo stuff.
If not Sakaguchi FF7 and 10 would be much MUCH worse. Now he's gone and FFX-3 is eventually going to happen with 2.5 and Will as canon in mind.
>>
>>378997498
>Nomura was the good guy all along
really activates the neurons
>>
>>378997498
>Yasumi Matsuno - writer (FFT, Vagrant Story, Original FF12 director and writer)

I really would rather Ivalice remain its own self-contained secondary series, its political themes never seemed to mix very well with the high fantasy [or fantasy sci-fi, or whatever the hell you name whatever VII and VIII were] that is more typical of the franchise mainline. The best possible outcome for Ivalice as I see it is being its own subseries under the "umbrella" of Final Fantasy with the possibility of eventually growing into its own solid brand, like Kingdom Hearts did.

>Also according to recent Nomura interview he wanted to kill everyone but 3 characters in the parachute Midgard mission(only 3 chosen to be played survive, rest die) BECAUSE DRAMA MUH EMOTIONS. Nomura stopped him.
Please tell me more about that.
>>
>>378968376
They took 10 years and unlimited money and made one of the worst games ever made.

I think it's pretty much dun at this point, even the mmo one is shit and a blatant cash grab.
>>
>>378998489
VII is steampunk and VIII is cyberpunk, I think.
>>
>>378998680
No.
>>
>>378997880
He did a lot more for FF7 than most people know. I don't know why most people just think he's a jus guy who draws characters every now and then.
He helped a lot with the characters backstories and basicly invented limit breaks because he loved desperation attacks in FF6.
And even as an artist he's pretty good as long as the artstyle fits, for KH2 he rew every single characters and enemy himself, even the character portraits, so like 3-4 portatist for every character.
And he makes good trailers
>>
>>378968883
I kind of miss the many side characters. It's been seven years since xiii, and 14 or whatever since x.
>>
>>378998489
>Please tell me more about that.
https://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7
It's pretty long, but worth it.
>>
What game did /v/ play first? I want to get a feel for how much I should care about your opinions. I started with FF1.
>>
>>378998749
Then what are they?
IX is objectively steampunk by the way.
>>
>>378998982
Started with IV last year and played all mainline titles up to XV.
>>
>>378998680
VII is dieselpunk if anything, but then again that only applies to Midgar, maybe Junon. Most of the world still has plenty of standard fantasy fares like the old mandatory japanese country, ancient temples lost in the jungle, and small walled villages.

Basically Midgar wants to be a Cyberpunk setting but doesn't have the proper technology for it, and the rest of the world outside of Midgar is your standard fantasy world in the middle of an industrial revolution.

As for VIII, it's probably Square's best attempt outside of XV at making a "modern" setting for its fantasy worlds, with modern and fairly mundane modes of transportation, and cities that could pass off as real-world cities if you squint a bit [no "city suspended by a metal plate on top of another city" like Midgar or "giant fortified city with a mountain-sized cannon" like Junon.

>>378998982
It was either VII or IX, I played both roughly at the same time, but I'm pretty sure I only beat VII first, and only "properly" played IX much later [I didn't play it more than a couple hours at first].
>>
>>378998982
FF4 when it came out iirc, from there on just basicly all of them. I played 1-2 when Origins came out on PS1
>>
>>378998982
VII. Or FFL3. Hard to remember which came first. Although since the FFL series is actually SaGa, I guess VII was my first either way.
>>
>>378999424
>As for VIII, it's probably Square's best attempt outside of XV at making a "modern" setting for its fantasy worlds,

Urban Fantasy, then?
>>
>>378998982
VI right when it came out.
>>
>>378999706
A quick read on the definition of the concept makes it seem like Urban Fantasy is the inclusion of fantastical elements in a relatively modern, urban society. VIII would be the opposite, throwing modern urban elements into what would otherwise blatantly be a fantasy world.
>>
>>378999947
>>378999538
>>378999431
>>378999424
>>378999216
I genuinely expected to see more X in there considering the average age of the /v/ poster. I wonder if people who started later just avoided responding.
>>
>>378998998
Only a minor portion of IX's world [the Regency of Lindblum] could be considered steampunk, and even then it's more a matter of aesthetics than displaying the themes usually associated with a steampunk setting. Everything else is high fantasy, from Alexandria to Burmecia, with the exception of Treno that, if anything, is vaguely victorian]. The other continents don't even need mentioning.
>>
>>378998982
I'm most likely the odd one out here but I got into FF with Crystal Chronicles. After that was 6 emulated, then I played most of the games except for 1,2 and 12. I really should go back and try em out.
>>
File: four.jpg~original.jpg (158KB, 550x909px) Image search: [Google]
four.jpg~original.jpg
158KB, 550x909px
How to spot a pleb in a ff fan base, there are 3 games that act as good detectors:
1. FF4. Murriclap's first FF. Praised insanely because murriclaps are dumb and like forced drama which game has a lot.
2. FF12. Typically you hear bitching mostly from main target audience of FF: 13-18 years old naruto-loving retards:
>fuck gambits it makes the game way too boring
As opposed to mashing X 1000 times? Square even put auto-battle in some of the re-releases of classic FF to make grind less tedious and don't tell me you never used it. Also you can turn off gambits, shocking i know.

and
>BOOO POLITICS ARE BORING WHERE IS MY EPIC ANIME VILLAIN WITH SPIKY HAIR AND BIG EXPLOSIONS

3. FF13. Special type of cancer, the nuFF-fans. Pure streamlined simplified garbage with incoherent plot and characters so one-dimensional that you can describe them by 1-2 words. The saddest part that the niggra who is supposed to be a comic relief is the only character in the game that you can relate to and the only one who was actually written by an adequate adult person.
>>
File: 1426876618725.jpg (361KB, 455x739px) Image search: [Google]
1426876618725.jpg
361KB, 455x739px
Mainline FF are trying too hard to be innovative that they end up becoming a clusterfuck of features and something extremely complex to achieve that the basic principles like a story and characters go to the background. Right now I think the spin off games are doing a better job at being a FF.

https://youtu.be/5LixPYvgUnU
>>
File: FFXIII.jpg (392KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FFXIII.jpg
392KB, 1920x1080px
>>379000810
Does Cocoon from XIII count as Cyberpunk, specifically the Hanging Edge?
>>
>>379001063
XII is genuinely garbage though, it's unfinished as well just like XV.
Only nu-FF fans will defend SE FF games to begin with.
>>
>>379001063
I started with FF1 and I enjoy 13 because the battle system and post game is good. I also enjoy FF4 because it was the first game in the series to actually have much of a story and the pacing is fairly solid. You're just kind of pushing your personal shit like it's objective here, but I guess that's basically /v/ in a nutshell.
>>
>>378996861
>the final nail not being me in your mom
>>
>>378969294
Use less abbreviations dude
>>
>>379001097
I by no means claim to be an authority on these subject, but as far as i see it XIII would qualify more as a fantasy sci-fi setting rather than properly cyberpunk. There are some shared elements, but ultimately XIII's world is too clean, too free, and not scarred enough by the effects of advanced technology in the breakdown of social order to be called cyberpunk. There's also the fact that the oppressive, militaristic government that controls the lives of the citizenry with heavy propaganda has a rather prominent religious component to it rather than being some massive corporation or corrupt government looking for profit.
>>
>>379001063
It's amusing that you give so little value to the epic anime villain with spiky hair and big explosions and yet want your serious grown-up politics game to be part of a franchise filled to the brim with said anime villains, that has always been about stories regarding said anime villains.

There's a reason why they don't include dramatic subplots about Princess Peach getting molested in captivity in Mario games, and on the other hand, also a reason why they didn't just call Kingdom Hearts Final Fantasy XI. Mixing Ivalice games with the mainline is first and foremost a disservice to the games themselves. Even if you can appreciate the relatively more complex themes and how they're handled doesn't mean you have to think they BELONG there.
Thread posts: 415
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.