[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the install sizes of these games so huge? I have a 250gb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: why.png (16KB, 698x168px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
16KB, 698x168px
Why are the install sizes of these games so huge? I have a 250gb SSD and after OS stuff I probably have room for 1-2 newly released games.

Discuss.
>>
>>378966332
unfortunately "realistic" graphics continue to be a selling point for games, so the sizes of games will continue to increase until graphics can be procedurally generated on the fly efficiently. at that point, artists will be out of work basically.
>>
>>378966332
Install the singleplayer games on an HDD and stop being a whining faggot.
>>
>>378966332
Developer incompetence, contempt, and general kikery. Same reason why graphics and performance stagnate despite ever-escalating hardware requirements.
>>
>>378966332
Than install you're games on a HDD? it's a negligible performance hit if there is one
>>
>>378966332
How much of that space taken is found inside the "movies" (or similarly named) -folders of the games? I'm legit interested.
>>
>>378967263
your*
>>
Multiple languages, uncompressed assets, videos.
>>
>>378966332
Mostly because of uncompressed audio files, bigger textures, more assets, etc...
Audio files are uncompressed because decompressing them put a huge strain on console CPUs. And because storage is not an issue anymore, even consoles have over 500gb of storage and 1tb HDD cost literally nothing.

And while I do agree sometimes it gets excessive, unless you live in some third world shithole, 70gb is a less than 2 hours download on steam, I don't see the big deal. I also have two tiny SSD and I delete/download stuff all the time.
>>
>>378967386
I remember reading something about how PC games were so large because they thought the size would deter piracy but if they're using uncompressed assets wouldn't the pirates just compress them for the download? If so, pirates are yet again getting a better experience than the paying customers who are forced to download all this uncompressed shit.
>>
>>378966332
4k textures and 5.1 audio take a lot of space. If games have prerendered cinematics, those are several gigabytes each.

Solution: install games to HDD. Or better yet, don't play AAA trash.
>>
>>378967621
Yes, repacks are a thing for a reason, they even remove shit like useless localizations and videos.
>>
>>378967340
Modern games rarely have pre-rendered cinematics, so practically none. It's mostly textures and audio.
>>
>>378967701
>4k textures
Nigga there are only a couple of games that have 4k textures. Nearly all "ultra" texture settings are 2k.
>>
File: asd.png (2KB, 257x61px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
2KB, 257x61px
>>378966332
>I have a 250gb SSD and after OS stuff I probably have room for 1-2 newly released games.
I fresh installed 2 days ago and have almost 200gb free, what are you doing?
>>
>>378966332
You don't need Dragon's Dogma on SSD. It loads in a second or two on regular HDD.
Just install there games you regularly play and actually benefit from moving them over to SSD.
>>
>>378967934
He's installing every game he downloads onto his OS drive, instead of making a SteamLibrary on his HDD if he has one.
>>
>>378967934
>new games are up to 90gb each
He's doing the same as you, it seems.
>>
>>378967782
You wish it be like that but it don't. Granted, post-2015 things seem to be trending that way but before that nah. Japanese games are different too, just look at the recent Platinum releases. The avg size of the movie folder is like over 50% of the whole size.
>>
>>378966332
>Install games on HDD
>If a game benefits from SSD
>Copy game to SSD
>Make symbolic link for game on HDD
Problem solved. You don't need EVERY GAME on SSD, just the one that really benefits from the SSD read speed.

If you're too lazy to use CMD to make them, use this link shell;
>schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html
>>
>>378968432
That's just Platinum using prerendered cutscenes since Vanquish.
In MGR, game weights like 2GB while cutscenes 22GB.
In Vanquish game itself 2,5GB, cutscenes 16GB
>>
Steam should let you choose which components to install
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.