[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Across each of the Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: oblivion-fire.jpg (176KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
oblivion-fire.jpg
176KB, 800x600px
Across each of the Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) what is the purpose/advantage of using robes and clothes as a Mage instead of wearing armour? I haven't played any of them as a pure mage yet, but I want to and do wonder what is the advantage of wearing clothes that offer little/no defence instead of heavy armour, when you can still cast spells in armour.
>>
>>378960348
In oblivion, I know that wearing armor lowers the chance of casting a spell successfully. In Morrowind, you have the unarmored skill and in Skyrim you have spells that use perks to up their damage resistance if you're not using armor. Might be wrong on the last one.
>>
In Skyrim, robes increases max magicka / magicka regen.
>>
>>378960502
Intrinsically or via enchantments? Because I'm sure in Skyrim and in other elder scrolls games you can just enchant armour to do the same thing.
>>
Morrowind doesn't have any magic penalty for wearing armors. You do, however, weigh a lot more with heavy armor and most mages don't have high strength or speed (without using magic) so there is a little incentive to just wear robes and whatnot.

Really though, if you're playing a mage in Morrowind then it's only a matter of time before you're decked out in tons of enchanted gear and flying around at the speed of sound.
>>
>>378960348
In oblivion there are certain clothes which have 0 weight, meaning there's pretty much no downside to enchanting them with something like being able to breathe underwater etc.
>>
>>378960737
It's via enchantments. What Skyrim does have is Alteration spells with double damage resistance perks that only work if you use clothing or robes.
>>
>>378960348
Spell effectiveness is reduced when equipping armour in Oblivion.
>>
>>378960348
Can't you wear robes/clothes over and under armour in morrowind?
>>
>>378960348
>instead
>not wearing a robe over your armor
did you even play Morrowind?
>>
File: inquisitive chinese man.jpg (16KB, 450x500px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitive chinese man.jpg
16KB, 450x500px
>>378960348
In Morrowind, you can wear clothing and armor at the same time. But heavier armors are much less weight efficient.

In Oblivion, your spell effectiveness goes down when you wear heavier armor.

>http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Spell_Effectiveness#Spell_Effectiveness
>The Spell Effectiveness figure on the Magic screen indicates the actual percentage of how effective your spells are. The magnitude of a spell will be multiplied by this figure when you cast the spell; if the spell has no magnitude, then the duration will be affected instead (see Tips, below, for more detail). So if your Spell Effectiveness is 85%, an Ease Burden spell will only allow you to carry 42 more points, instead of the full 50 points. Your Spell Effectiveness will be reduced if you wear armor. There are two types of armor: light armor and heavy armor. It doesn't matter which one you actually use as far as your skill is concerned. Your overall Spell Effectiveness while in armor, either light or heavy, cannot exceed 95% regardless of your skill in that armor. The skill rating for the armor you wear must be at least Journeyman rank to maintain 95%; lower ratings than Journeyman results in lower effectiveness. 100% Spell Effectiveness can only be achieved if you are not wearing any armor (which is why most NPC spellcasters wear robes and no armor). Fatigue levels do not affect overall Spell Effectiveness.

In Skyrim, the main draw for wearing clothes is the mage armor perk.
>>
>>378960475
>In oblivion, I know that wearing armor lowers the chance of casting a spell successfully.
actually it was how effective your spells are
>>
>>378962918
Thanks anon
>>
>>378961193
yea, legs, boots and shirt iirc, then each left and right glove and pauldron (and boot iirc) can be enchanted individually.
there was a shit load of customization opportunities
>>
>>378962918
>In Skyrim, the main draw for wearing clothes is the mage armor perk.

Someone could respond to this and just say you could simply level your Heavy or Light armor instead. I think the draw is that by having mage armor, you are levelling a mage skill (Alteration) while also getting your defence, without having to devote points to Heavy/Light armor skill, which could instead to go to something like Destruction. That being said, levelling Heavy armour along with magic skills is by no means not viable. You could just sacrifice Alteration for it.
>>
>>378960348
In oblivion you could just enchant shield into clothes and be better than most armor in the game without skill investment, especially with the sigil stones
>>
File: 1354734891749.jpg (43KB, 239x401px) Image search: [Google]
1354734891749.jpg
43KB, 239x401px
>>378964781
>2 or 3 high-level sigil stones with chameleon + ring of khajiit
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.