[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>run out of lives and continues >have to start the ENTIRE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

>run out of lives and continues
>have to start the ENTIRE GAME all over again
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>378937169

Dude Sonic 2 is probably the easiest of the 4 first titles.
>>
>>378937169
because you're a pussy bitch who needs their hand held
>>
>>378937169
why not?
the game is really short and you're supposed to get the most playtime for your buck
>>
>>378937309
>get to death egg
>game over to robot sonic
>"haha guess you have to waste an hour of your time replaying haha :))))))))"
>>
>>378937389
?
how is playing the game wasting time? are you not having fun?
>>
it's how old games were
The idea of just doing away with it came later
>>
>>378937469
I don't want to replay 20 maps of shitty cheap levels that punish you for going fast just so I can have a shot at the final boss again
>>
>>378937214
Nah, 3 and Knuckles are easier even with no-save mode.
>>
You can finish the game in a couple hours
>>
I beat this game when I was 6 OP, what's your excuse
>>
File: IMG_2830.gif (4MB, 294x524px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2830.gif
4MB, 294x524px
>>378937572
Then do the level select code and go right back to death egg you fat retarded idiot
>>
Sonic 2 is a roguelike metroidvania that's why you have to start over.
>>
>>378937718
>calls me a fat retarded idiot
>is a weeb
Lol, retarded low-test. And I won't use the level code (didnt know it existed actually) because I'm not a cheater.
>>
>0 rings in the final boss stage
literally unbeatable wtf
>>
>>378937389
And that's where you go, "fuck doing all that again right now," end up trying again the next day, and find new things to discover in the levels you already cleared as well as figure out new ways to deal with mecha Sonic.

That's how people who grew up playing games in this era ended up having more intimate knowledge of how games and levels are structured. Getting to the end is something you just want to get over with, it's something where you can finally say "I did it" and feel like you had a more fulfilling experience because it made you take your time and learn. If all you want is to get from start to finish and get it over with, then maybe older games aren't for you.
>>
>>378937572
>punish you for going fast
hahahahaha it's one of these motherfuckers again

every stage is not Green Hill/Emerald Hill, slow down dumbass
>>
Sonic 2 has a lot of my favorite stages but I hate the emerald mini game so much, it's suffering.
>>
>>378937876
Getting to the end isn't*
>>
File: IMG_6163.gif (275KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6163.gif
275KB, 640x480px
>>378937804
>can't beat Sonic 2
>calls me low-test
>>
>>378937876
>>378937887
You're right, maybe I was playing with the wrong mindset. I'll give it another shot tomorrow
>>
File: 1482316401497.png (90KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1482316401497.png
90KB, 480x360px
*blocks your path*
>>
>>378937169
Remember when gaming took skill? Remember when you could enter codes to level skip?
>>
>>378937169
because it makes you tough
>>
>>378938123
>You're right, maybe I was playing with the wrong mindset.
>that rare occasion somebody admits they were wrong on /v/
what the fuck i am so so sorry, years of being a part of the hate machine does awful things to you

I should have said there are plenty of lives scattered all over the place and that speed management is important. You're alright man.
>>
>>378937169
what really?
I know this is bait but can you try with some better bait?
>>
File: Rust Sonic.webm (2MB, 640x438px) Image search: [Google]
Rust Sonic.webm
2MB, 640x438px
>>378937389
>game over to robot sonic
How is that even possible?
>>
>>378937169
>not saving before every level
plebs
>>
File: alright.jpg (53KB, 744x615px) Image search: [Google]
alright.jpg
53KB, 744x615px
>>378937169
have you tried not being a little bitch
>>
>>378938982
I didn't know you could do that. It's my first time playing.
>>
File: Silver_Sonic.png (62KB, 253x371px) Image search: [Google]
Silver_Sonic.png
62KB, 253x371px
>>378939064
Robo Sonic is super easy, and all you have to do is remember positions and timing on Robotnik.

https://u.nya.is/tnosvh.webm

https://u.nya.is/vluddt.webm
>>
>>378937169
This is kinda weird when you consider harder stuff like Megaman and Castlevania had infinite continues
>>
>>378937389
>millennia generation
>>
How? The only sonic game I would call hard is sonic unleashed and maybe sonic adventure 2, but not for the right reasons. The old games are easy as fuck, the only challenging part being the end with no rings and very delicate hitboxes
>>
>>378939573
Sonic Spinball.
>>
>>378938982
I've beaten Sonic 2 so many times and never thought of doing this. Always tried to respect the boss battles for some reason.
>>
>>378937169
Sometimes i died randomly in oil ocean zone.
It scared me a little bit.
Also why the fuck did my copy of sonic 1 had 40 lives instead of 3
>>
>>378939649
Not a sonic game
>>
>>378938150
This shit goes on for far too long, like why did they need to make this shit 3 zones.
>>
>>378939573
Try actually getting the Chaos Emeralds, and they become a little harder.
>>
>>378939573
>sonic adventure 2
Oh man, this game used to make me so angry with the one way camera angles and stuff. Then there's the losing your rings dilemma. I was an angry little boy.
>>
Weren't these games from the era where people still had the 'Arcade' mentality?

>How do we justify selling a video game at 60 dollars that would only take 2 hours at most to beat?
>Make them start over from the beginning if they suck
>>
>>378939912
>going for chaos emeralds
>ever

Special stages are fucking awful, 99% of them. The only one thats ever been fun is rush adventure on DS.

>>378939928
Yeah man SA2 used to kick my ass as a kid. Would spend like 15 minutes in a emerald hunt stage...dont get me started on the space levels
>>
>>378939246
Robotnik in Sonic 2 is dull as fuck. If you're not retarded his fight is completely free.

>>378937613
Sandpolis Zone 2 is harder than anything in Sonic 2. Sonic 2 really is a cakewalk. Honestly, Sonic 2 is a pretty mediocre game, S3&K is a lot better minus that barrel

I also always felt like the Sonic and Knuckles metal Sonic was the best.
>>
>>378939731
Some pirate carts had it. My cousin had some white, small-ish SMD, and Sonic 1 was that one version with 40 lives. I guess people who dumped and burned it on carts thought of making it bit easier for some reason.
>>
>>378937804
>Not a cheater
>pls remove game over state
>>
>>378937169
I just remembered I've never beaten the final boss in 2. Metal Sonic was easy but the robot was killing me with his first attack so I couldn't even learn it.
>>
>>378938982
What so special about this webm?
>>
>>378937169
Arcade philosophies.
I wish games were still like this. Casualization killed gaming honestly.
>inb4 muh difficulty
Stop being a bitch and git gud. I haven't Game Over'd in any Sonic game since this game, after I finally beat Death Egg Robot. No other game has made be do the same other than Rayman 1
>>
>>378940553
It's a webm by an anon who carefully learned mecha Sonic 2's patterns using savestates and then produced an optimal playthrough of the fight to make people who had trouble with him feel bad
>>
>>378941058
>arcade philosophy
>if you die just pay more to continue

Eh, glad that this isn't the case anymore. And anyway if you play on an emulator or some arcade port that just lets you have free credits out the ass the games aren't really very hard.
>>
>>378941076
What are you talking about. Silver Sonic's movements are easily telegraphed. That's just beating him normally.
>>
>>378937169
Because then lives actually mean something.

In a lot of new games if I'm low on lives before a difficult level, I'll just kill myself and continue with more lives, which is an even more ridiculous concept.
>>
>>378937389
just use the level select cheat to go back
>>
File: 1492433719059.gif (2MB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
1492433719059.gif
2MB, 294x233px
>>378937169
>He's not playing Christian Whiteheads Sonic 2 in 2017
lol
>>
>>378941076
Even as a kid I know it was pretty obvious that you could get multiple hits in on him. Shit's not all that hard.
>>
>>378941228
yeah I'm sure you recorded him on a blind playthrough with your Genesis VGA cables plugged into a capture device the whole time

come on man, no need for a tough guy act
>>
>>378941228
One could easily miss the head by some pixels and die tho
>>
>>378941313
This. Most bosses in the classic Sonic games work this way.
>>
>>378941247
It's really interesting to see how the climate of video game critique has changed from those days. I distinctly remember Megaman X5 being criticized for giving you infinite continues so that lives meant nothing and the game ultimately felt too easy. Now having lives in a game is taboo.
>>
>>378941407
And there are no rings between the start of the stage and mecha Sonic, so it's very easy to slip and die immediately.

These are generation Z's posing as hardcore gamers, they're probably referring to playing this game on Gens on Windows 7 when they say "as a kid"
>>
Why shouldn't you have to start the game all over again? That's your punishment for sucking.
>>
>>378941518
Silver/metal/mecha Sonic uses the exact same attacks in a row every single time you fight him. As a kid I just wrote down what he would do to beat him. Robotnik was harder for me as a kid, but now he's super easy to exploit.
>>
>>378939887
Originally the third act was supposed to be the first act of Genocide City Zone
>>
>>378941729
That's fair enough. You shouldn't just brush it off like it's braindead though, you still had to keep note of those patterns if you wanted to make it past.

having to write things on paper is something I both love and hate about games from back when
>>
>>378941296
>that single frame surprised face Tails makes when hes interrupted from napping
That's some attention to detail and also adorable
>>
>>378937169
>Running out of continues

There's your problem
>>
>>378941421
that is interesting.
I'm surprised to hear that about X5 of all things.
I thought having it so that the Earth can get fucked and you get locked into a bad ending based
on your performance was kind of an unforgiving punishment.
>>
>>378942179
...I don't remember that at all. I just played it back in middle school and had one of those "fuck you man, I liked it" to the reviews that stuck out to me for some reason.
>>
>>378940553
The special part is that it's not special or hard.

>>378941076
>carefully
You mean casually.
I used states so I could get there without having to play through the game to show the last boss.
>>378941729
Exactly.

Why the butthurt anon crying muh generation z got so ass tangled about it we normal people will never know.
>>
>>378937572
Then why did you buy the game?
>inb4 i pirated it
Then there's no need to get your money's worth. Stop playing.
>>
>casuals
>>
Because arcades, you fucking pleb.
>>
>friend want to play some retro classics instead of another ow match
>try 3&k, you liked sonic
>dies before the first boss in Angel Island 1: one time at the plant before the boss, two times crushed by the spikes right at the middle of the level
>goes back to ow

This is the state of gaming right now.
>>
>>378941076
You know, learning patterns is actually valid strategy. Don't rush head on, wait a bit, look how Mecha moves and does stuff. If you dawdle game actually shows player that Mecha should be dispatched quickly - I think his fifth attack, which is jumping from one side to another, adds metal spikes flying all around.

>>378941407
To really miss it you has to land on top of his head though. Jumping on forehead is as safe as jumping on motobug or some equally harmless featureless badnik. And before you say how difficult it is to jump so you bounce off just slightly, it's not, by fucking end game you probably should learn how Sonic behaves with his only attacking move.
>>
>>378943354
And valid strategy has to be employed to make it through the fight reliably, making it challenging. All these replies are making it sound like I'm trying to make mecha Sonic sound like a bullshit boss, or something. I'm just saying that acting like it's simple with webm "evidence" of an anon who's clearly had plenty of practice is stupid.

>it's not really hard if you take time to learn the strategy and concentrate

This is like when people try to say Dark Souls isn't that hard after they find optimal ways to beat a boss after dying enough times. It's all the more evidence that it's challenging, not evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>378942656
What a hideous artstyle
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.