[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game so good? why aren't there more games that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 11

File: FTLSlider2.jpg (23KB, 616x353px) Image search: [Google]
FTLSlider2.jpg
23KB, 616x353px
Why is this game so good? why aren't there more games that come close to the same experience?
>>
>>378888619
Is this worth picking up? how luck-based is it?
>>
>>378888754
It's pretty luck-based in terms of if you can beat the final boss on a run, but you can learn when to try or avoid some of the random encounters, etc.

I enjoy it for collecting the different unlocks, and you can certainly learn a strategy to beat it.
>>
It's pretty lacking in content in its current state but if you have some friends to play with check out the game Pulsar: Lost Colony. It's similar to FTL but it's multiplayer co-op and you play as the crew.
>>
>>378888754
as much as any other roguelike

possible to overcome shitty odds with some skill but generally most runs become "man i hope i get that kickass combination of weapons again"
>>
Only thing i ever backed on kikestarter
Really amazing game, got around 200 hours or so of playtime with the free expansion and shit.
Its fun
>>
File: 1475842157619.jpg (53KB, 413x475px) Image search: [Google]
1475842157619.jpg
53KB, 413x475px
>tfw can't get the damn Crystal ship
>>
>>378889279
The strong influence of luck makes it more fun. I wish more games were more luck-based.
>>
>>378890543
>get half the unlocked ships, including crytsal
>something fucks up with Steam Cloud-save
>wipes my save
I don't think I've played since
>>
>>378890426
>>378889279
that said there are people who manage to consistently get a 90% winrate

a lot of the luck factors can be mitigated
>>
>>378888619
But there are.
Darkest Dungeon or Sword of the Stars for example.
>>
>>378890543
Apparently, if you use Rock C and rename your Crystal crewman Ruwen (or whatever the one you get on the quest-line is called), you can skip right to the final part of the quest.
>>
File: 1471369196747.gif (4MB, 375x221px) Image search: [Google]
1471369196747.gif
4MB, 375x221px
Try Everspace.
>>
>>378893248
This looks rad, why haven't I heard about this before?
>>
I always get to the last area but then the mothership or whatever it's called always kills me, anyone know the best way of destroying it
>>
>>378893562
it's just come out of Early Access, and was a Kickstarter... your mind probably blank it out.

It's apparently bretty good though
>>
>>378893647
focus on disabling it's triple missile launcher
on easy and normal teleporting is a good way of doing this
>>
>>378893248
doesn't that game have an infuriating unlock system?
>>
>>378894159
If I understand it, you find cash during your life, and when you die you have to spend as much as possible. When you restart on a new attempt, the money doesn't carry over. So if you can't collect enough to buy an unlock in one life, you can't buy it... I think
>>
>>378894354
thing is though, doesn't it have a bunch of passives that you need to unlock which simply make you statistically better?

I hate that sort of unlock in a roguelite, at least in something like FTL the beginner ship gives you a more than fair shot at finishing the game
>>
>>378888619

i honestly don't understand what people see in this game

in combat you spend so much of the time just watching bar fill ups and it's just so slowpaced that it sucks all the enjoyement out of it, the roguelike element sucks because there are no different enemy variety, no consumables or anything, if you find a new weapon you usualy have to buy it with the same money you use to upgrade your stuff so the only strategy you get is to grind as much as you can which slow the pace even further, then you get to the event and most of them are so horribly stacked against the player, "succed and you get some currency, fail and your pilot dies, lol, isn't that fair?" it's one thing to make the game hard and it's another to have stupid bullshit like this

everyone that seems to like the game, seems to do it more because it let them play pretend star trek than the actual game
>>
>>378894516
Yeah, most of the unlocks you buy are flat upgrades. You can find more interesting subroutines by doing missions though. You can equip these before a run and they have large bonuses but also drawnbacks (like a weapon damage buff at the cost of disabling your shields for the entire run).
>>
>That feel when you beat hard mode with every ship at least once

Now what. I'd try it with Captains edition but that shit is hard enough even on normal.
>>
>>378894774
I like it as it feels a bit like the old bullfrog sim games, like if sim-hospital was a spaceship instead.

doing stuff like venting all your empty rooms to stop fire spreading in combat, or suffocating boarders (until you fuck up and suffocate your own guys)
>>
>>378888754
Considerably. Can get ugly on hard.

>>378895039
Yep, this game has a lot of depth for what it is.
>>
>>378894774
A big reason people like it is the deliberately slow pace of combat. Its a tranquil experience, many people are too tired to play vidya after a workday.
>>
>>378893647
first stage of it is all about setting up the mothership for an easy kill in the 2nd two stages. Teleport 2 guys in to the isolated gun rooms starting with the 3 missile pods. Kill the 2 outer guns then but LEAVE the inner left one alive. If all the crew dies on it, the hard points auto repair and makes the fight much harder so dont kill them all. Once the 3 gun areas are gone your shields and dodge will prevent further damage for stage one. Then work on kill the crew in the rest of the ship before you kill stage one. The other two stages are way easier then. Clock helps alot for stage 2 and 3.
>>
>>378894774
It's basically a 'choose your own adventure comic' mixed with one of those old flash games where you're both in tanks on opposite sides of a field trying to shoot eachother. Except in space and you get to order around the crew of the ship.
>>
File: 1301927851308.png (3KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
1301927851308.png
3KB, 185x185px
>>378891037
>90% winrate
HOW
I've played this game for years and I've only ever managed to beat the final boss like two or three times. One of them being on Easy.
>>
>>378895021
now do hard mode on each lay out. Some of them are pure shit.
>>
>>378895512
Actually, flagship on AI is much easier to handle unless you got sloppy weapons. It repairs systems about as fast as Mantis crew and can easily be kept under control by boarding crew.
>>
>>378895653
>on easy
Nigga if you can't beat easy consistently then something is wrong.
>>
>>378895653
some of the boarding 4 room telporter is easy mode
>>
>>378893562
Looks good but become boring after an hour
>>
>>378895810
but with the one guy just chilling in the inner left weapon room basically doing nothing is easier. Guess hard mode is a different ball park with the rooms connected.
>>
File: C-E8747W0AAmSBU.jpg (142KB, 829x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C-E8747W0AAmSBU.jpg
142KB, 829x1200px
>>378888619
>Why is this game so good? why aren't there more games that come close to the same experience?

Because "sadistic game that actively resents your attempts to win" is a tough sell to producers.
>>
>>378890426
FTL is not a roguelike
>>
>>378895774
That's what I meant. I did that.

Surprisingly, Slug B and Fed C weren't that much trouble. Kestrel B and Crystal A I just couldn't get for the longest time.
>>
>>378893562
Because it's pure shit and has nothing going for it aside from graphics.
>>
>tfw your first win is with 4 Burst Laser IIs

They never stood a fucking chance.
>>
>>378896121
props to you then. I just started the game back up a few days ago and working on doing them all on normal
>>
>>378896013
A single boarder can destroy a level 1 system repairing before it fires. And yeah, hard is a different beast. Boarding requires hacking/crystal or breaches with clone bay or setting shit on fire. Fires are surprisingly effective when coupled with hacking/crystal, but the fire beam is too unreliable.
>>
>>378896121
Crystal is amazing. You just need to rush a laser weapon and those crystal weapons can carry you to the end.
>>
File: 1300467448838.png (38KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1300467448838.png
38KB, 400x400px
You fucking faggots are making me excited, I'm gonna go play this game again right fucking now.
>>
File: 1435437447799.gif (1011KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
1435437447799.gif
1011KB, 500x273px
>>378896281
>weapons pre-igniter
>>
>>378896281
My first win was with a bunch of burst lasers too. It's pretty much autowin if you get lucky enough to get a few of them, because if you're firing enough lasers quickly enough literally nothing can stand against you.
>>
File: HeartOfDarkness.jpg (88KB, 799x550px) Image search: [Google]
HeartOfDarkness.jpg
88KB, 799x550px
>>378896096
>FTL is not a roguelike

Yes it is, you moron.
>>
>>378888754
All the events at the jump nodes are predetermined. All the results and rewards are predetermined. Nothing is random except the store stocks and pages.
You can just savescum to find the right path you need to take from start to finish of each zone. Much better than just playing the game as a repetitive fucked up Monty Hall problem.
>>
>>378888619
if i had to choose 1 game that i would class as perfect it would be FTL
it's not my favourite game, but i think it's pretty flawless
>>
>>378896785
Crystal A is okay. On hard mode your starting weapons always are slower than the opponents, you start out taking damage. While nice the first few sectors, crystal weapons just take a bit too long for the amount of damage they deal imo.
>>
>>378897594
It could use more bosses. Any mods that fulfill this? What are the good mods?
>>
>>378895512
But how do I stop my crew from not dying? I send them into a room full of enemies and I constantly have to switch them out because by the time the enemies lose 25% of their health my guys hav already lost almost all of it
>>
>>378897738
i haven't used any mods yet
but captain's edition is supposedly great
>>
>>378897806
clone bay, assault drones, bombs/missl;es, crystle guys/hacking to lock down the room, mind control, fire beam/bomb with rockmen. Sure there are more
>>
So in this game I just clicked through all the flavor text like a mouthbreather but thinking back it was pretty weird how you got invaders teleporting on your ship even when there's no other ship in sight and there's a red sun nearby that burns through even motherfucking shields.

What explanation does the game give for that?
>>
>>378888754
A lot of expert players can win 95% of the time or better. Most people can't really approach that though.

The trick is to learn each of the scenarios and the possible outcomes so you know how to maximize your chances for positive events. It's also knowing your ship's capabilities in who you can fight and either hunting or avoiding targets based on that.

If you're just starting out, the starting ship is probably the best in the game for getting from sector 1 to sector 9 due to its very balanced and expandable loadout, most other ships are more specialized and can be really good at particular things (Like the mantis ship's ability to board enemies or the Zoltan's shield augment) but can have trouble in encounters they're bad at (Like getting stuck in an asteroid field as the Zoltans or the Stealth ship or getting stuck against multiple AI ships as a boarding party).
>>
>>378898062
oh if you mind control a bad guy you can telport him back to your ship. Easy picking when the mind control wears off. Mothership wont use its telpoprter until stage 3 so you dont even have to worry about destorying it.
>>
>>378898164
They do a drive-by or some shit. Its not that explained.
However, if you're playing Zoltans in the original, you could still be invaded during an invasion event even with your Zoltan shields having should've prevented that - the game even questions it too.
In the current updated advanced edition, now that there's a Zoltan Shield Bypass augment for ships, the game uses that as the justification as to why the enemy ships still threw boarders at you the moment you warp in.
>>
>>378898164
Basically something like:
'We ran out of fuel and got stranded here, the sun nearly destroyed our ship. Guess we'll have to take yours fwahaha.
>>
File: blubberly.jpg (59KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
blubberly.jpg
59KB, 800x450px
>>378897280
>You can just savescum to find the right path you need
>YOU CAN SAVE-SCUM IN FTL
>SAVE-SCUM IN FTL
>SAVE-SCUM
>IN FTL

You are so very special...
>>
>>378894774
I think balance is a big problem, specifically on expert where it's just like
>lmao flak burst lasers
and anything less is liable to get my hull raped because it takes too long.
>>
So what's the boarding party tier?
Rock with Firebomb
Lanius
Mantis
Rock without Firebomb
Literally anything else
Zoltan with clonebay, fuck trying to make this meme work, I would sooner send Engis
>>
>>378898706
Well, technically you can by backing up your save data elsewhere, but with that logic, you can say pretty much ANY roguelike doesn't count.
>>
>>378898904
you forgot crstyal guys with their lock down ability, very useful.
Also reverse boarding is great, mind control someone and teleport them to your ship. Easy pickings then.
>>
>>378888754
The best FTL player beat it with like 36 hard wins in a row using different ships. All streamed. Of course plebs on /v/ will say the game is all rng and luck, but I personally went from losing almost every game to winning half the time on hard, with any ship. There are a lot of tricks you can learn and use and learning what events are good, and how to fight certaib ships helps you succeed.
>>
>>378899239
Learning when you should retreat from a fight and skip it. You don't need to kill everything to win.
>>
File: lol-pussy-hat.jpg (80KB, 720x1020px) Image search: [Google]
lol-pussy-hat.jpg
80KB, 720x1020px
>>378899035
>Well, technically you can by backing up your save data elsewhere, but with that logic, you can say pretty much ANY roguelike doesn't count.

That's not save-scumming, fool, that's straight-up cheating. Not that you could appreciate the distinction...
>>
>>378899151
You're right. I'd put Crystal right above Mantis.
>>
File: The Askaryan with glow final.png (114KB, 717x700px) Image search: [Google]
The Askaryan with glow final.png
114KB, 717x700px
>>378888619
I thought it was so good I made my own ships. Definitely in my top 5 games.
>>
>>378888619
There have been plenty of games like this one, this one is just the best.
>>
>>378897280
You may get screwed here and there, but not enough to say that it's a game mechanic problem worthy enough of being worked around through savescumming.
>>
>>378888754
Yeah it's worth picking up considering the price. My whole group of friends who have somewhat differing game tastes all enjoyed this game to at least some extent (me the most at like, 300+ hours).

There is luck involved, but it's mostly the difference between a good run and a great run, as opposed to a successful run and a failed run as most people will say is the case.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the game if you end up getting it.
>>
>>378896096
Are you trolling?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.