[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, the dust has finally (somewhat) settled around the legal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 470
Thread images: 55

So, the dust has finally (somewhat) settled around the legal debacles surrounding AM2R, Pokemon Uranium, and other fan games. Fans of these franchises are still butthurt about it, and I'm kind of with them there. It sucks that the laws are made in such a way that makes making fan games illegal.

But now, a question.

Is anybody out there actively trying to change the laws from the inside?
>>
There is nothing wrong with the law. It's our culture that's the problem.
>>
>>378885643
>It sucks that the laws are made in such a way that makes making fan games illegal.
They aren't, Nintendo's the only company that actively goes after fan games
>>
If I had a trademark and some faggot tried to make something using it for some le upvotes I would sue his ass until he had nothing to drop dead to.
>>
If a fan game is that good it wouldn't need to throw Pokemon or Zelda into the title and would just be an indie game
Fact of the matter is no one would play these pieces of crap if they didn't piggy back on famous franchises
The law works to prevent people from stealing from others, when you make a game using characters that don't belong to you, you're stealing
>>
>>378886338
The post in your picture doesn't give fangame creators any kind of legal protection though. It just states that the rights holders don't go have to go after every conceivable case of infringement to protect their IP if the infringing work falls under a specific set of circumstances. The main argument that shills use against fangames is that if they're doing something the official games aren't, or are creating excuses to not pay for the official product (fan remakes), it undercuts into potential profits made, because why buy Nintendo's subpar 2D Metroid game when AM2R exists for free? Fan games benefit us the consumers, but not the rights holders. Since we're not in their position, it's easy to say, "well, screw 'em," but there's gotta be some kind of compromise.
>>
File: 1495926383839.jpg (171KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495926383839.jpg
171KB, 1280x720px
>>378885643
THESE LAWS PROTECT PURE DEVS THAT DID NOTHING WRONG FROM HAVING THIER CONTENT MALICIOUSLY STOLEN
DELET YOUR FUCKING FILTHY BOOTLEGS
DDDEEEELLLLLLEEEETTTTT TTTTHHHEEEEEMMMM
>>
>>378887212
There is a compromise. Creators are given a monopoly on their ideas, but it's up to them to enforce. If there were no compromise, anyone could call the police on infringers and have them penalized for taking the artists' work from them.
>>
>>378886338

Activision and Squeenix do too. Remember the King's Quest and Chrono Cross fangame debacles?
>>
>>378886157
>There is nothing wrong with the law.

>Copyright lasts for the creator's entire life plus 75 years, completely defeating the entire point of copyright law
>Companies are awarded tens of thousands of dollars in stuateory damages for copyright infringement, even if there's no evidence it impacted sales
>it's illegal to repair or make personal backups of your own copies of stuff

Congratulations, this is the most retarded post on /v/ ive seen in a month. IP law is the most fucked, insane, backwards area of law on the planet.
>>
>>378885643
what exactly is wrong with the copyright law, you fucking retard?
>>
>>378887654
Or we could just make fair use an innate right instead of a affirmative defense in cases where the derititve work isn't for profit
>>
>>378885643
The only pokemon romhack I ever really played was Ash Gray
>>
>>378887780
see
>>378887714
to start with
>>
>>378887714
You're right, there is something wrong. Protection lasts too short. Why does it expire at all?
>>
Uranium was never DCMA'd, the author just didn't want to be next, Prism was though
>>
>>378887101

>If a fan game is that good it wouldn't need to throw Pokemon or Zelda into the title and would just be an indie game
but indie devs do that all the time. They'll usually brush up their skills with fanwork, then move on to original products. Take Redigit for example, his most known work was SMBX, a popular Mario romhack that let you build and create your own levels, decades before Mario Maker ever came out, and it was a powerful competition to Lunar Magic.

After that he had enough coding skills to work on Terraria, which ended up being one of the greatest video games to come out in our life times. Yes, I am saying it completely murders Bloodborne, Zelda, Nier, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and any other AAA overrated movie game.

Don't penalize them because they make small fanworks for fun in their free time, without asking for money. Perhaps you should penalize the greedy bloated asshole companies who think they somehow have a monopoly on entertainment.
>>
>>378887828
>add a mustache to one of the characters, thereby creating a derived work
>everything else is the same
>give away millions of copies
It's non-profit, so it's okay, right?
>>
>>378885643
I don't understand this "it's only a problem when Nintendo does it" mentality when it comes to CNDs. And i'm not a drone either because I fucking hate Nintendo right now and their paid online bullshit, but this is something that they're not special with. Other companies are even MORE strict and that's why you hardly ever see fan games of IPs from those companies. Sega is probably the only one that isn't.
Yet people act like it's only Nintendo when it is not.
>>378886338
But that's bullshit. Square Enix and other companies have immediately shut down fan projects before.
>>
>>378887714
>Copyright lasts for the creator's entire life plus 75 years, completely defeating the entire point of copyright law
why shouldn't your children be able to benefit from what you've created?
>Companies are awarded tens of thousands of dollars in stuateory damages for copyright infringement, even if there's no evidence it impacted sales
that's bullshit yeah but there's a million other stupid ways companies can claim damages aswell
>it's illegal to repair or make personal backups of your own copies of stuff
if you buy a game you don't 'own' it, you never have
>>
>>378887828
This was my thought process as well, but a counterargument is that larger companies like Microsoft or Naughty Dog could use it to strongarm people over to their platform by erasing the idea of exclusives, because so long as the product is free, they can't be tried for cutting into sales of the rights holders. How do we circumvent that? Is there a financial barrier based on the amount of income the fan gamer makes? Maybe fangames can be official sanctioned by the developers by allowing them to profit off of it while giving the fan game creator a small portion of the sales?
>>
File: 5439754375-375.png (282KB, 526x550px) Image search: [Google]
5439754375-375.png
282KB, 526x550px
>>378888214

>indie devs do that all the time
>"REEE IT'S JUST A RIPOFF OF MARIO"
>>
It sucks but it makes sense if assets are being used. However, it's not a coincidence that they waited until after it was released to send a cease and desist. These could have been stopped way before they were released, and this way they can at least be played and shared
>>
>>378885643
To be honest, AM2R wasn't even that good. It felt like exactly what it was; a fan mod.
>>
>>378888281
>why shouldn't your children be able to benefit from what you've created?
If you sold the rights to some publisher, that's why. Legally they can't touch it for 75 years after you die. How does this support your argument?
>>
>>378888364

the problem with that logic is that AM2R had multiple patches planned that would've greatly improved the game. 1.1 gave us new pathways, better level design, and a stronger flow to the game. It's retarded for them to "let it be" but not want it to improve. Either cancel it at its inception or let it exist. Don't half-ass it.
>>
>>378888432
in that case, why shouldn't people in your company be able to benefit from what the company has previously created? it's exactly the same thing. do you object to the idea of corporate authorship?
>>
>>378888267
>Sega is probably the only one that isn't.
Along with Microsoft, Bethesda, capcom, id, Sony, and every single indie dev
>>
>>378888801
>>378888267
Also Valve, I can't believe I forgot them.
>>
>>378888801
>Microsoft, Bethesda, capcom, id, Sony
None of these company's IPs have fangames because of how strict they are, except maybe Capcom like, once.
>>
>>378888173
>Perhaps you should penalize the greedy bloated asshole companies who think they somehow have a monopoly on entertainment.
Companies are greedy assholes because they don't want people stealing their I.P? ok
Guess piracy should be allowed too then since it's ok to steal from companies
>>
>>378888775
The company didn't create it. A game developer made it, but in order for the game to be published, they had to sell the rights entirely to the publisher. They couldn't keep any, or else the publisher wouldn't touch it.
The game developer gets a lump sum and a tiny amount of royalties from it. If the game does well enough to get a sequel, the publisher can hire some other game dev company to make it. The original developer gets nothing from new games, and neither does their children.
You might think "why doesn't the original game developer just make a sequel on its own?" Because the copyright on the original is still in effect and prevents the original developer from making any new games from the story THEY created. Do you support that?
>>
>>378888173
>Yes, I am saying it completely murders Bloodborne, Zelda, Nier, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and any other AAA overrated movie game.

Hey, ACfag, have you started working on your perfect video game that has no text, words, music, sound effects, graphics, dialogue, characters, control, or anything else besides gameplay yet?
>>
>>378889353

>Companies are greedy assholes because they don't want people stealing their I.P?
Making fangames is not "stealing their IP". There's no reason for people to choose a fangame over the official product if the official product is better, right?

It's not like Nintendo pushes out garbage shovelware that would push people to look for alternative products, right?
>>
>>378888173
>Don't penalize them because they make small fanworks for fun in their free time
I will penalize them because they're using characters that don't belong to them
>without asking for money
And as soon as they make their own game (Terraria) they cash in and stop doing it for free
>>
File: uJbHTpC.jpg (51KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
uJbHTpC.jpg
51KB, 500x333px
>>378889364

>cinematic white knight on damage control
>>
>>378889359
If a game developer sells the rights to his game, that's his choice and his problem. In the case of the games in this thread, like Nintendo games, those games are created by the company, there was never a single author. If you are a single game developer looking for a publisher deal you are free to negotiate a deal with doesn't involve selling your ownership of the IP or to self-publish. So what are you complaining about? The fact that you're allowed to sell the rights to something you've created? Do you think that if you do that you should still actually retain ownership of it in some roundabout way?
>>
>>378888939
I think this is the most underage post I've read in years.
>>
>>378889891
>oh no I watched a cutscene my life no longer has value or meaning

When did gamers become such whiny little pussy bitches?
>>
>>378890068
>hurr underage
Post examples of notable fangames for Microsoft, Sony, and Bethesda that haven't been shitcanned.
>>
>>378889758

>I will penalize them because they're using characters that don't belong to them
Yes, and? Precedents have been set that you can do that legally as long as you're not damaging the original IP or directly ripping off entire games. And AM2R can't be argued as such, as it's too derivative. The problem is that Nintendo abuses copyright courts and can bleed money dry from the defendents even if they have no legal standing.

>And as soon as they make their own game (Terraria) they cash in and stop doing it for free
Terraria's a unique case, since they only asked 10 dollars one time within 6 years, while continuing to push out new content every single year. So if anything, they're doing it for free at this point. And unlike Shovel Knight, they didn't even raise the initial price of the game.
>>
>>378890141
Post examples of notable fangames for Microsoft, Sony, and Bethesda that have been shitcanned
>>
>>378889623
>Making fangames is not "stealing their IP"
That's exactly what it is, you make a game where monsters battle each other and no one cares
Slap "Pokemon" on it, and all of a sudden everyone wants to try it because people can't get enough Pokemon
>It's not like Nintendo pushes out garbage shovelware that would push people to look for alternative products, right?
If Nintendo was so garbage, developers of fangames wouldn't need to piggyback on their franchises, not every Nintendo game is 10/10
But that goes to show you how much these developers rely on the reputation of bigger more successful I.Ps to get their own names out there
>>
>>378890218

And to back up my claim, look up Bleem! versus Sony computer entertainment. The long short version of it is that Bleem won the right to modify sony's products, but Sony bled them out in court costs and forced them into bankruptcy, but because they're a greedy multibillion dollar corporation, this isn't seen as illegal abuse of the court system.
>>
>>378890141
Good thing you took out Capcom and Id or else you'd be digging yourself deep here. Anyway
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/22/fan-made-halo-multiplayer-remake-is-following-microsofts-rules-say-creators/
http://crashbandicoot.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_notable_Crash_Bandicoot_fan-made_games
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/

I think you'll find there are less fangames for Microsoft and Sony because they aren't known for their original IPs.
>>
>>378885643
>It sucks that the laws are made in such a way that makes making fan games illegal.
They are not. However, fair use is a legal defense, not some sort of constitutional right, and as such it does have the problem of requiring a person to go to court to affirm. The internet is also a weird situation where you are not sharing something with other people: you are asking a third party, who has no interest and no involvement, to hand the thing out to other people. And it's these who Nintendo are going after.

Also, Nintendo are dicks, but that's not a problem with the law. Nintendo could technically get into trouble for abusing copyright/trademark law if anyone took them to court, but Youtube/random webhosts aren't interested in doing that.

>>378887714
This is a valid problem with modern copyright law. No, downloading a copy of a movie does not involve a hundred thousand dollars worth of lost sales. Then again, a lot of those "hundred thousand" lawsuits were due to torrenting, which was a pretty stupid thing to do in that situation. But it is still too much.

>it's illegal to make personal backups of your own copies of stuff
False, it is still legal to do so. It is not legal to distribute your backups, though.

It is also not legal to download another copy, or even another version of the media in a different format, "as a backup".

>it's illegal to repair
Kind of? I've heard situations where it could be illegal to, say, go into your car and screw around with the programming that dictates how it runs... but I'm honestly not very clear on how that one works.
>>
>>378885643
How about you just fucking call it something else and not directly associate it with an established franchise? It's so fucking simple.
>>
>>378889925
>that's his choice
The choice between "give up all your rights" and "don't get published." Some choice.
>you are free to negotiate a deal
With ALL of the biggest game publishers, and a huge portion of the smaller ones, you must give your rights to them.
>or to self-publish.
Good luck burning and distributing thousands and thousands of game disks, paying for your own bandwidth and marketing, etc.
>So what are you complaining about?
The thought that copyright exists for the sake of authors when it has always been the publishers pushing for stronger control since the beginning of the concept of copyright. Your first argument was that the creator's children deserve to benefit, and now you've backpedaled to say that they don't.
>>
>>378890086

>gameplay is no longer as important as the pretentious story

Sounds like Uncharted is more your thing lad.

>>378890457

>That's exactly what it is, you make a game where monsters battle each other and no one cares
People do that all the time though. Whether it was Beyblades, Yokai, Digimon, you name it. Everyone had their own way of going about it. Some people didn't care for profit, so they just made fangames. You act like this is some horrible crime.

>If Nintendo was so garbage, developers of fangames wouldn't need to piggyback on their franchises,
Modern nintendo is garbage at least. People grew up with them when they weren't hot ass on an ass sandwich, and wanted to make tribute work. If Nintendo DMCa's them, they then move on to trying to make their own IPs. To act like this is some sort of crime on par with murder is nothing more than corporate apologist wanking.
>>
>>378890693
The entire point of a fan game is to be based on another IP.
>>
>>378887558
Dont you have to sit in your corner like your aidoru mom told you, mr. Dan.?
>>
>>378888394
>To be honest, AM2R wasn't even that good. It felt like exactly what it was; a fan mod.
I agree.

Pokemon Uranium was also quite poor, with unexplained slowdown and an overly dull game.

This doesn't mean that Nintendo had a good reason for taking them down, though. As long as the creators weren't asking for money, and as long as the games were clearly fangames and not official material, there should be no problem. (Although you could argue that Pokemon Uranium could be mistaken as official.) Of course, DMCA is quite easy for companies to abuse and so they've been getting away with a lot of bullshit that they shouldn't.
>>
>>378890638

>It is also not legal to download another copy, or even another version of the media in a different format, "as a backup".
I'd love to hear how they defend this. As if it's any different from making your own backup.

>b-but it doesn't matter if you already purchased a copy, you're putting us into bankruptcy by getting a copy of backup!
>>
>>378885643
Meanwhile, Sonic has romhack support on Steam Workshop.
>>
>>378890758
>gameplay is no longer as important as the pretentious story

All you can do is put words in people's mouths, haven't changed since you first started screaming about Other M all those years ago. Of course you have no other means of discussing or debating things, so it's to be expected.
>>
AM2R is putting a gold coating on shit and Uranium wouldn't play at more than 5 frames per second no matter what I did. I personally didn't give a shit about either of them.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-02-14-35-13~2.png (746KB, 1080x1269px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-02-14-35-13~2.png
746KB, 1080x1269px
>>378891038
Meanwhile, Nintendo takes down a fan made VIDEO of Mario kart

Nintendies will defend this
>>
>>378885643
>Both of these (along with Prism) got taken down within days after game journalism sites reported on them
>meanwhile, a lot more obscure fangames and rom hacks still exist with little legal action
really activates my almonds
>>
>>378890638
>fair use is a legal defense, not a right
In Lenz vs Universal Music Corp, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit concluded that fair use was not merely a defense to an infringement claim, but was an expressly authorized right.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=12567649168680108221
>>
>>378891194
>>378890941
>>378888394

>AM2R isn't a solid 8/10 at least

Found the Federation Force marketers.
>>
>>378890747
your children benefit if you retain ownership. the company benefits if they retain owernship. copyright law is completely agnostic towards an author or a company. it all depends what YOU decide to do with the product you've made. All the rest of your points literally only apply to the 1990s. It's never been easier to self-publish, and negotiating a deal where you retain rights to what you've made is pretty common these days
>>
>>378891214
Mario is still good, Sonic on the other hand....
>>
>>378890758
>To act like this is some sort of crime on par with murder
Where did I say that? You're just putting words in my mouth
Murder is murder, stealing is stealing
Whether or not you're stealing from an individual or an entire company, it's still wrong
>People do that all the time though. Whether it was Beyblades, Yokai, Digimon
The difference is they didn't call them "Pokemon Blades" or "Pokemon Watch"
you wanna rip off Pokemon and make your own version, that's fine, humanity has been stealing eachother's ideas forever
But to put "Pokemon" in the name of your game when neither Nintendo, nor the Pokemon Company have nothing to do with the creation of the game is a scumbag move
It may not always be for money, but using a well known franchise to get your game out there is still stealing
>>
why are musical parodies protected but fanmade games not? They are literally the same thing.
>>
>>378891168

>you put words in people's mouths

Yes, because you're not prone to doing that yourself, eh?
>>
>>378885643

Pokemon Uranium was shit anyway.
>>
>>378891214
I think that's more of a youtube thing that copyright
>>
>>378891432
Parodies are to make fun
Fangames are to piggyback on corporate success
You want to make a fangame making fun of Zelda? That's fine
You want to make a fangame using Zelda? Not fine
>>
>>378891286
>THIS AMAZING POKEMON FAN GAME WILL BLOW YOUR MIND
>KOTAKU'S SADDEST GAMING MOMENTS OF 2016: WHEN THAT POKEMON FAN GAME GOT TAKEN DOWN ;((
Shitlib game journos gotta ruin everything
>>
>>378891414

>Whether or not you're stealing from an individual or an entire company, it's still wrong
But there is no proof that anything is being stolen. Companies have to prove that in a court of law, which hasn't been done.

>It may not always be for money, but using a well known franchise to get your game out there is still stealing
Stealing implies money is being taken, or monetary damage is being done. Again, this has never been proven in a court of law.the entire concept of "fair use" as a matter of fact exists because of this. If the very act of just showing a copyrighted character was theft, then legally Deviantart, tumblr, neogaf, twitter, and any art sharing website would cease to exist.
>>
>>378891438
And your usual "Everyone who responds to me is one person and all people against me do the same thing" nonsense. You really get off on (You)s, don't you.
>>
File: 1496292133612.jpg (203KB, 712x633px) Image search: [Google]
1496292133612.jpg
203KB, 712x633px
>>378890892
RRRREEEEEEEEEE
SHIN DAN KUROTO IT'S SHIN DAN KUROTO
YOUR KAMI DA DEMANDS YOU RELEASE HIM FROM TIME OUT
>>
>>378891583
>Copying someone else's song is OK
>Copying someone else's game isnt OK
Funny how you provide absolutely no explanation for why fangames aren't OK, almost like youre shilling for nintendo or something...
>>
>>378891583

>Fangames are to piggyback on corporate success, despite them not impeding one's ability to buy the original product, or asking for money
>but you gotta trust us guys, even looking at fanart is costing us billions of dollars :(
>>
>>378886157
>our culture
you mean japanese culture
western developers don't really chase fans around for doing shit like this
>>
>>378891004
For one, the downloaded copy is typically not the same as the copy you purchased. If you buy, say, a DVD, then you have purchased the version of that movie on DVD. You have NOT purchased the version available on iTunes, or a similar format. And most pirated versions are going to be the iTunes/Google Play/etc version that is easy to grab off a computer, so no, your defense would not hold up there.

In cases where the version is the same (PC games, for example) then you still run into the problem of distribution. It's legal to make a backup, not legal to distribute the copy to others. The law is very clear on this. At the least, the person/website doing the distribution is violating the law in doing so. If you happen to be using a torrent client, then you are distributing it to other people and violating the law as well.

The last bit is that you have the legal right to create a backup of something you own. You do NOT have the right to just take someone else's backup. That is, you have the legal right to own copying software and using it to make a copy of software you own. That's the big point where Nintendo is quite wrong: emulation software and software to make digital copies of games is NOT illegal, and in fact a legally protected right. But nobody is planning on taking Nintendo to court to force them to stop that. Also, I can't think of any situations where "I downloaded it from the internet as my backup" worked in a court of law.

There was one case where someone suing people for torrenting files actually lost and was put in jail (John Steele, Paul Hansmeier), but that was because of their own illegal activities in distributing those same files by torrents themselves, not because downloading through a torrent was legally protected.

You might want to check out the Youtube channel Leonard French, if you are interested in this stuff.
>>
>>378891713
No, I was referring to your exact post.

>>378889364

At no point did I ever say what you accused me of saying. All I asked is that gameplay be given top priority in a game, instead of sacrificing it for other elements.

but I guess you just can't let go of that cinematic 30 FPS feeling of modern games, can you?
>>
File: 1394489211900.gif (1MB, 433x350px) Image search: [Google]
1394489211900.gif
1MB, 433x350px
Quick /v/ what are the best pokemon romhacks?
>>
>>378891803
using someone elses brand gives you to potential to damage or reduce demand for that brand, reducing your potential profit in the future
>>
>>378891619
>But there is no proof that anything is being stolen. Companies have to prove that in a court of law, which hasn't been done.
>Invent Pokemon
>Makes billions of off Pokemon
>Some "indie dev" plasters "Pokemon" all over his game in an attempt to get people to play his game
That's stealing, are you saying that as long as no money is lost it can't be considered stealing?
>>
>>378891362
>why shouldn't your children be able to benefit from what you've created?
Isn't that what you asked? Now you're defending the creator's children not being able to benefit from what they've created.
>It's never been easier to self-publish
Do you have the capabilities to produce thousands of DvD's a day? How about selling them to stores?
How do you plan on marketing?
If you go digital only, how will you distribute?
Will Microsoft or Sony let you be on their consoles if you don't have a big-name publisher backing you up?
>and negotiating a deal where you retain rights to what you've made is pretty common these days
No, it isn't. You may keep SOME rights, but you can't make copies of your game and sell them on your own, or your publisher will sue you for competing with them. You also can't make another game in the same series without their permission unless you hired a lawyer to make the initial deal, and even then the publisher could always say "no, thanks, good luck finding someone else."
>>
>>378891796
Literally read the thread, I'm not going to spoon feed you all the points I've already made
>>
Does anyone actually give a fuck about Pokemon Uranium? They were never actually C&D'd, they just pussied out right after the release and shut everything down. There are fucktons of Pokemon romhacks out there that nothing happens to as well.
>>
>>378892018

>using someone elses brand gives you to potential to damage or reduce demand for that brand
And that has to be proven in court.

>>378892024

>are you saying that as long as no money is lost it can't be considered stealing?
That's the definition of stealing, money or monetary value HAS to be lost. And you have to prove it.
>>
>>378890638
John Deere in particular has been locking down their tractor software so that only authorized mechanics can work on them. Bypassing their protections to fix your own tractor is illegal.
>>
>>378892194
I don't know what post you made so I'm only gonna reply to the posts at hand.

Have you ever heard of a music cover? Its where you take someone else's song and do your own version
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5ixRWvrkUHo
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ubvV498pyIM

Have you ever heard of music sampling? It's when you take someone else's music and put it in your own
https://youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5jlI4uzZGjU

Now tell me why these are OK and fangames aren't.
>>
>>378890616
Crash isn't a Sony IP.
>>
>>378891583
>Fangames are to piggyback on corporate success
Or they're expressions of their love of a story. Do you think that people should be limited in how they express that, or do you not consider games to be expression?
>>
>>378891292
I am nowhere close to an actual copyright attorney, but

>OPINION
>We hold that the statute requires copyright holders to consider fair use before sending a takedown notification, and that failure to do so raises a triable issue as to whether the copyright holder formed a subjective good faith belief that the use was not authorized by law.

This seems to be the relevant portion of the judgement. It states that copyright holders MUST consider fair use as part of the DMCA, and thus a person may defend against it by claiming that the copyright holder did not consider fair use. That doesn't mean that it is some sort of right which people have, which copyright holders must therefore show in a court was violated before they can issue a DMCA.
>>
>>378892428
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm talking about. I mean, I could understand hacking it and thus making it illegal for people to service the tractor/illegal to sell the tractor in the future. You certainly can't reverse-engineer it. But if it's on your land and you just want to turn the stereo speakers off? It seems strange that it would not be legal to modify it however you'd want.

But again, I'm not that familiar with the law in that regard, so I don't know what exactly is illegal in that situation and what exactly is allowed.
>>
>>378892578
Fair use is not just excused by the law, it is wholly authorized by the law.
Black's Law Dictionary defines "authorize" as "1. To give legal authority; to empower" and "2. To formally approve; to sanction."Authorize,Black's Law Dictionary (10th ed.2014). Because 17 U.S.C. § 107 both "empowers" and "formally approves" the use of copyrighted material if the use constitutes fair use, fair use is "authorized by the law" within the meaning of § 512(c).See also17 U.S.C. § 108(f)(4) ("Nothing in this section in any way affects the RIGHT of fair use as provided by section 107...." (emphasis added)).
>>
>>378892167
If you sold the rights to something you've created then that's your choice. Thats like complaining that your kids can't benefit from your accumulated wealth when you've wasted it all on hookers and cocaine. It's YOUR CHOICE to sell the rights to your game.

>Do you have the capabilities to produce thousands of DvD's a day? How about selling them to stores?
If you are a small one-man developer you publish through the Internet. This isn't the 90s anymore. There are more flexible publishers around than ever before. There are publishers who can get a small developer on a console while allowing you to retain rights to your IP. Everything you're saying literally only applies to the game industry 20 years ago
>>
>>378885643
>go to /heg/
>it's a bunch of underage retards with either a basic understanding of coding or a basic understanding of fan fiction
>never return
Fan games are garbage.
>>
>>378892379
>That's the definition of stealing, money or monetary value HAS to be lost. And you have to prove it.
Let me just give you a hypothetical situation
Your daughter/mother/sister/wife goes into a smart phone repair shop to get her broken screen replaced, the repairman decides he's going to copy the nudes she's taken and put them on his phone and then post them online for anyone to see, but he does it for free
She didn't lose any money, and he didn't gain any
Did he not just steal those pictures?
>>
>>378893016
This just boils down to simple practical use. You could say that fair use is a right which every person has, but if a company slaps you with a DMCA takedown or a lawsuit, you cannot just state "where is the judge ruling that my actions were not within my rights of fair use?" Instead, in those situations, fair use only applies in situations as a defense against a copyright lawsuit brought against a person.

That's what I mean when I call it a legal defense; it is only used to defend against copyright lawsuits. You cannot, for example, file a lawsuit against Nintendo for violating your fair rights when they DMCA your Youtube video.
>>
>>378892379
>>378893382
Just to make it clear, in the end he still repairs her phone
Fact is stealing is taking something without permission which is what these guys do when they put Zelda or Pokemon in the title of their game
To further make my point here's the literal definition you can easily find on Google
steal
stēl/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: stealing
take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.
It has nothing to do with whether or not money is lost or gained by either party
>>
>>378893102
You didn't read my post
>It's YOUR CHOICE
You either sell your rights to the publisher, or you self-publish.
>you publish through the Internet.
Is the Internet some magical technology that allows you to just "poof" your game into thousands of computers? When you self-publish, you put the game on your own website and have people download there. This takes bandwidth and storage, both of which you must pay for yourself. You also pay for marketing all yourself.
>literally only applies to the game industry 20 years ago.
That's still a problem for games made then. Back then, games were made and the rights had to be sold. You don't contest that, you flat out ignore it. It wasn't their choice back then, but now they don't have the rights to their games. Is that okay with you?
>>
>>378893509
>You cannot, for example, file a lawsuit against Nintendo for violating your fair rights when they DMCA your Youtube video.
Yes, you can. That's what the case linked was all about.
>>
>>378890337
No that anon, but stop shifting the burden of proof
>>
>>378893292
Nice Reddit argument /v/ro!
>>
>>378887714
This is Disney's fault
>>
>>378893382
>Did he not just steal those pictures?
No, but it was a violation of her privacy and illegal apart from it. It wasn't theft, but it didn't need to be; it was bad on its own.
>>
>>378893382

>Your daughter/mother/sister/wife goes into a smart phone repair shop to get her broken screen replaced, the repairman decides he's going to copy the nudes she's taken and put them on his phone and then post them online for anyone to see, but he does it for free
Legally they're allowed to do that, as is google, microsoft, the NSA, the FBI, the CIA, and pretty much anyone who has access to your phone and/or helped build it or the software within. It sucks, but that's what the gigantic EULA is for when you first sign up for a phone. You could argue to sue against them for that, but because they have billions of dollars, they would bleed you dry in court costs.

See how that's unfair?
>>
>>378894162
Interesting. I guess I didn't read it well enough.
Well, thanks for bringing up the case then. I wasn't aware something like that had happened.
>>
File: Mickey_Logo-1.png (2KB, 300x241px) Image search: [Google]
Mickey_Logo-1.png
2KB, 300x241px
>>378887714
>>378886338

Anon, you wouldnt want Disney to lose their mascot and your best friend, do you?
>>
>>378894310
He TOOK her pictures WITHOUT persmisson, that's literally what stealing is
>Legally they're allowed to do that
Show me where it says that handing your phone to someone means they can take all your personal photos and info with permission
>>
>>378893958
>You either sell your rights to the publisher, or you self-publish.
It's not a binary option. Many, if not most, publishers offer deals where you retain some or all rights.
>Is the Internet some magical technology that allows you to just "poof" your game into thousands of computers? When you self-publish, you put the game on your own website and have people download there. This takes bandwidth and storage, both of which you must pay for yourself.
Where have you been? Do you have any idea what Steam is? It costs a few hundred bucks and you're on the biggest store in the world. Yes, you have to pay for marketing, do you expect them to do it for you?
>That's still a problem for games made then. Back then, games were made and the rights had to be sold. You don't contest that, you flat out ignore it. It wasn't their choice back then, but now they don't have the rights to their games. Is that okay with you?
The thing is, it still was their choice in the past, it was just a harder choice to make. Yeah it was a problem, but that problem has been solved now. It's been solved by making distribution easier than it ever was before, instead of changing the copyright law to some socialist bullshit where companies aren't allowed to buy intellectual property
>>
>Legally they're allowed to do that
Show me where it says that handing your phone to someone means they can take all your personal photos and info with permission
Meant for >>378894426
>>
>>378894672
>TOOK
The phone was handed to him, he copied the pictures. They're still on the phone.
>>
Has there ever been a completed pokemon mod game that wasn't buggy as fuck?

Bonus points if it was actually good.
>>
>>378888939
what an asinine post
there is a ton of mega man fangames out there and as you acknowledged capcom even went as far as giving one of them (mega man vs street fighter) a blessing while both id and bethesda have very active modding communities and there just isn't a need for an actual fangame
the deal with microsoft and sony is a tad more complicated - they haven't done any loud shutdowns like square or nintendo because they simply have nothing to shut down, when they were entering the console market they had to rely on 3rd party developers and a wide variety of brands to really make a splash
>>
File: 1479351229192.png (91KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479351229192.png
91KB, 1920x1080px
Reminder that Nostalgianiggers hating on AM2R because it's not oppressing black&white anymore have literally no excuse now (latest 1.2.9 build added green and B&W gameboy filters).
>>
DUDE WHY ARE LAWS AND MONEY EVEN A THING WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE EVERYTHING FOR FREE

NINTENDO IS EVIL SURE I DON'T BUY THEIR GAMES SINCE THE NEW ONES COST MONEY BUT THE ONES I CAN ILLEGALLY EMULATE ON THE COMPUTER MY PARENTS BOUGHT ME ARE PRETTY FUN FAN GAMES TOO BUT NINTENDO KEEPS CANCELLING THEM WHICH UPSETS ME SINCE WITHOUT FAN GAMES WHERE CAN I PLAY MORE NINTENDO STUFF?
>>
>>378894886

Literally all they have to say is "we assumed it was causing issues with the phone" or "we made copies to scan them for viruses in a sterile computer environment." or "we assumed they had controversial content that might've been a risk to the US law system in your county, and/or could've compromised your contract". That's literally it. They can go off of assumptions and have full control of your control AND the content on it.

Again I see you've never read an EULA. It's why thankfully some court systems throw them out, because they're that intrusive.
>>
Has Nintendo ever taken down any Smash Bros. fan games?
>>
File: 1485436253000.png (31KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485436253000.png
31KB, 1920x1080px
>>378895087
>>
>>378895250
not exactly fangames but i'm pretty sure project m not only got taken down but people behind it might've gotten actually sued
>>
>>378895087
>>378895273

>1.2.9 build
Brother, you know you're gonna have to give me some sauce here.
>>
>>378885643
Can someone tell me why would developer give a fuck about DMCA?
I mean when you do fan game with usage of copyrighted material how about you STAY FUCKING ANONYMOUS?

Did both of the devs go full public and reveal their names/location? If no just ignore them lmao, they can't do shit to you. If you are anonymous the worst they can do is send take down notice to the host, but then you can just find hosting in 3rd world country that doesn't give fuck about dmca or just upload to torrents.
>>
>>378895324
Source code leaked, development continues under new team.
>>
>>378894861
>Do you have any idea what Steam is?
A publisher. If you go with Steam, you're not self-publishing. They have an agreement that's considerably more lenient than the rest of the publishers out there, but good luck if you don't want to use Steam.
>do you expect them to do it for you?
Publishers do market the games they buy, yes.
>it still was their choice in the past
A choice between A and B, where B is "don't be a successful game developer," isn't a choice.
>but that problem has been solved now.
Has it? That game developer's family will not benefit from the game, and neither will his grandchildren, and so on. You call that "solved?" I call that "ignored." If it happened in the past, especially since it only happened 20 years ago, it still happened.
>>
>>378894904
She didn't give him permission to access her photos and put them on his own phone
His job was to fix the screen, not go through her photos
>>378895232
All she went in for was a cracked screen, I don't know what a virus scan has to do with it
You're both so fucking retarded and have no idea how law works so I'm done talking to you two
>>
>>378895087
The problem isn't it not being B&W (or gray and olive, to be more accurate) but that some fights - especially every Omega Metroid fight - were quite tedious and repetitive. Yes, I know how dull the original was. I did play through Metroid 2 more than once as a kid. But at least the Metroid there were tense and the fights over in a minute or two, due to how basic they were. A repetitive fight of "hop down, one missile, back in my hidey hole" got dull very quickly, especially if it swatted away your super missiles and you needed to take it down with regular ones.
>>
>>378895505
>and have no idea how the law should work according to me
FTFY
>>
>>378885643
Uranium was meh as fuck, not much of a loss. AM2R was fantastic though.
>>
>>378895324
>>378895392
Changelog:
https://pastebin.com/7XMansAL

Some of the noteworthy things are stuff like NG+ and Randomize modes.

I'll upload precompiled 1.2.9 build for you with HQ music if you want.
>>
>>378895392

Well then. That's very nice. I'll have to keep snooping around, as I'm sure they don't want alot of publicity.
>>
>>378895371
people who make fan games are usually fans and work under the naive assumption that the company they're a fan of are full of good, charitable people
and its pretty hard to get your fangame noticed if you're completely anonymous. it's not like cracking a game where you just throw up a torrent. you need to create a sustained media presence
>>
>>378895087
Way to ruin a good fangame by hacking it and adding your own stupid shit into it.
Look at that shit. No effort was put into it at all. Just ran all the assets through a program to reduce them to 8bit B&W. It looks disgusting. Especially that background.
>>
>>378895584
kek good luck in court when you copy a girls nudes and claim they were a virus
>>
>>378885643
>pokefags are upset about uranium
top kek.
>>
>>378895371
>Can someone tell me why would developer give a fuck about DMCA?
Nintendo are retards and think they can milk all the money from every single mention of a Nintendo product on the internet. Part of the problem is likely because the company is run by old men who don't even understand what this Youtube thing is, and nobody else in the company wants to counter them.

It's a bit of a different story when you are making money off it, although Nintendo still seems perfectly fine with trying to take your money even when it is a legally accepted fair use.
>>
>>378895505

>All she went in for was a cracked screen, I don't know what a virus scan has to do with it
the cracked screen is part of the phone, so unless you can remove the screen from the phone, you have to trust them with it. That or wipe it of personal info or download it to another system. Morally it's not very cool, but legally they have a ground to stand on.

Think of it like this: you post nudes on your profile, then a month later you regret it and delete the nudes. It's not illegal if people saved those nudes and repost them, even if you said they were private. You have to be very careful.
>>
>>378895720
>to reduce them to 8bit B&W
That's kind of the point, and it's not edited assets, it's being done in real time actually.
You also clearly never owned an original Game Boy since >>378895273 is as close as you can get palette-wise while keeping the overall AM2R improvements.

Anyhow you're still a moron for being butthurt over optional things that are catering towards nostalgianiggers.
>>
>>378895784
the only people who pretend to be upset about uranium are shitposters who need additional fuel for post-am2r fangay bait
>>
>>378895584
>Your honor, we had no choice but to copy this girls nude photos and post them on the internet because we were afraid they were a threat to our national security and freedoms
fuckin hell lol
>>
>>378888281
>if you buy a game you don't 'own' it, you never have
I do not have ownership of the intellectual property or the copyright, but I have full and complete ownership of the copy I bought and can do whatever I please with it. Lend, sell, play, modify, backup, etc.
>>
>>378895435
Steam is a distribution service
if you think it's a publisher you really have no idea what you're talking about
>That game developer's family will not benefit from the game, and neither will his grandchildren, and so on. You call that "solved?" I call that "ignored."
you realize when you sell a game to a someone, you get paid for it right? If you sold something for far less than it's value, then you've made a bad business decision, and it's your fault. Yes people have made bad deals under unfavourable circumstances, that is not the fault of copyright law, the best we can do as a society is make more favourable conditions, which we have
>>
AM2R and Pokemon Uranium could have spread like wildfire and been unstoppable had they just been released anonymously with no prior information.

But of course, greed and trying to attention whore is what causes these things to happen.
>>
>>378895631

That would be nice actually. Sounds like alot of work went into this.
>>
>>378895964
>but I have full and complete ownership of the copy I bought and can do whatever I please with it. Lend, sell, play, modify, backup, etc.
you don't
your 'copy' doesn't even exist, seeing copies can be made infinitely and with no cost
you basically bought a license to use that IP, nothing more
>>
>>378895897
I've owned an original gameboy. And while the palette is certainly close, the overall graphics are not, although I do realize the general idea is to keep it looking close to the original AM2R graphics.
However, because it's apparently being done in real time, it really looks incredibly lazy. The background in particular looks like ass. If it was actually edited instead of being done real time it could look a lot nicer.
>>
>>378895170
>buttblasted nintendork
>crying about piracy
all you need is some "GAMERS ARE MONSTERS" and you've completed the trinity of shit
>>
>>378895631
>I do not want to change the feel of the game
outside of what DoctorM64 created.
>adds a bunch of dumb stuff
Good job.
>>
>>378895720

Mate, it's optional. And shucks, I'm glad someone took up the mantle, so Doctormario wouldn't have to deal with legal trouble, but we can get improvements. I'm excited that the unofficial dev says he wanted the 1.0 omega Metroid difficulty back. I agree with him, I loved how tense those fights were. And the new game plus? Oh, beautiful stuff. It sounds too good to be true, which is why I'm wary. I'm hoping it isn't a virus or something.
>>
>>378892428
Consumer anti-trust measures have been creeping in everywhere for decades. Really it started in the late 80's when the automotive companies started using ECU's and shit. The Germans and Italians went full on proprietary with their software suites. You need a Porsche diagnostic tool to deal with Porsche products for example. Or at least you did, smart phone tech and its ease of use have made some pretty cool apps that will read their proprietary shit. I'm sure there's fucking lawyers all across the board scrambling to put a lid on further developments of those sorts of unauthorized tools.

I'm hoping John Deere fucks off and dies in a fire at this point for taking up that kind of anti-consumerist bullshit. From what I understand a lot of North American farmers are straight up jail breaking their shit with Ukranian versions of the OS's. Good for them.
>>
>>378896230
Valve is a publisher, Steam is the service. You still need Valve to agree to PUBLISH your game on their service.
>and it's your fault.
How dare I want to make a successful game in 1997. You're still acting like it was a choice, but the reality has been since the start of all this that, up until very recently, we needed publishers in order to get our stuff out there, and publishers wouldn't let you keep "your" exclusive rights if you used them to publish. That's why copyright's been how it is for centuries. The authors didn't ask for it, publishers did.
>>
>>378896246
you can still get them, this is the internet.
>>
>>378888173
I know you. You're the faggot who tried to argue last month that Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was trash because it was, according to you, a "Cinematic movie game," aren't you?
>>
>>378896364
I do though. It's mine and I can do whatever I want with it.
>>
>>378896246
Doc is the farthest thing from an attention whore, m8
>>
>>378896842

I don't see how it isn't. Fire emblem is only known for its waifus, and gameplay is never discussed. The mobile phone trash on the front page will attest to that.
>>
Why even make fan rip offs? I don't see the point. If you want to make a game be original and make your own. If you are deadset on a Pokemon rip off them at least mix it up somehow. Digimon and Yokai Watch are doing just fine.
>>
>>378897153

People like doing tributes, that's why. They don't do it for fame or money or prestige. They just like showing their appreciation for the products. And as it's been shown, when they want to get serious, they will indeed make their own IPs.

I know Nintendo has gone bankrupt because one guy made a Mario picture in Ms paint and put it on deviantart, thus destroying every single bit of profit they've ever made, but it's not fair to punish other fanworks because of that.
>>
>>378897308
Shut up.
>>
>>378897013
Hahaha holy shit it is you. Stay delusional, faglord.
>>
>>378895964
>>378896871
Actually not. Read the game's user agreement. By buying the game you have agreed NOT to sell, lend, copy etc by doing so breaks the contract, though nothing they can do about it.
>>
>>378897153
I lot of people are completely aware that nobody will give a shit about anything they make if it doesn't have Zelda/Pokemon or whatever associated with it. They call it a Pokemon fangame to get people to actually play it, as opposed to take one look at it and leave.

Also, a lot of people are unimaginative. They come up with the idea "Wouldn't it be neat if your Fire starter turned into a Fire/Grass type?" and never really expand on it past that. So it always just stays a Pokemon fanhack.
>>
>>378897153
Because the entire point is the people want the same style and same kind of gameplay in the same kind of world. They don't want a brand new game that plays differently, they don't want their own unique thing, they want their own take in the same style and world of the games.

This is like saying "Why are you making AM2R, you should make Guacamelee if you want a Metroid game".
>>
>>378897419

>faglord

Are you 12 by any chance?
>>
>>378896740
>Valve is a publisher, Steam is the service. You still need Valve to agree to PUBLISH your game on their service.
no, you agree to let Valve distrubute your game on their service. Valve is no less a publisher than Walmart is a publisher if you're selling boxed games at the store. The copyright law never favored publishers over creators. The real-life, economic situation favored publishers over creators. And now it's changed, not by meddling with the copyright law but by actual technological progress and the widespread adoption of the Internet
>>
>>378897013
>The mobile phone trash on the front page will attest to that
You mean the threads where the majority of posts revolve around how to beat the newest event map, how useful new characters' abilities are, what teamcomps are best for arena, and what combinations of skills are best on which characters? Why would you form such a strong opinion about something that you clearly know so little about?
>>
>>378897308
I guess but really if you want to pay tribute, then just play the official games, buy ther merch, spread the word etc. No need to waste time making fake games.
>>
>>378896871
Practically you can, legally you can't
>>
>>378897571
>You mean the threads where the majority of posts revolve around how to beat the newest event map

No, I refer to the threads where every single post is "I want Lucina to fart on my face after marrying her" repeated infinitely.
>>
>>378897573
You replied to my post defending fangames dumbass, also don't do this "reply to a gorillion people with a picture" shit
>>
>>378897554
What does it matter? Why do you think you deserve more effort out of me than schoolyard insults when your arguments crumble to dust when they come into contact with even the most minuscule amount of actual knowledge?
>>
>>378897573
>5 (You)s
stay mad
>>
>>378897614

>I guess but really if you want to pay tribute, then just play the official games, buy ther merch, spread the word etc
why not do both? If anything, the fangames even say "if you like this product, support Nintendo." They're actively doing everything to make themselves seem non-hostile. Infact, do you know why they just don't ask Nintendo directly if they can do fanwork? Because Nintendo's customer service makes Valve's customer service look like Blizzard's customer service.
>>
>>378897709
Show me that post, let alone a thread full of that post or anything like it. You're literally forming an opinion about something through secondhand memes; if you'd browsed through even 10% of any Fire Emblem thread you'd know exactly how wrong you are when you say that gameplay is never discussed.
>>
File: 1495237832068.gif (127KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1495237832068.gif
127KB, 480x270px
>>378897556
>The copyright law never favoured publishers over creators.
Wow, you really don't know what you're talking about. Conveniently for you, an entire history of copyright law would be out of scope for this thread, so I'll just give you this smug anime face and you can pretend you "won" because I stopped replying.
>>
File: 14c.jpg (17KB, 207x253px) Image search: [Google]
14c.jpg
17KB, 207x253px
>>378897815

>when your arguments crumble to dust when they come into contact with even the most minuscule amount of actual knowledge?
>>
>>378896364
>>378897423
YOU DON'T OWN OUR GAMES, GLOMPF!
>>
>>378897938
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/353513248/#353513757
>>
>>378897953
If I'm wrong then I'm interested in knowing how, because all I can see is someone complaining that companies are allowed to buy intellectual property
and don't say someone else doesn't know what they're talking about if you think Valve publish every game on Steam
>>
>>378897423
EULAs are almost universally ignored, precisely because courts know that people don't read them and (more importantly) know that people are forced into them in order to even use the product. What's more, there are some rights that a person cannot give up, even voluntarily, and the right to sell the product, etc will fall into that category.

Also, it is possible for a company to lose a copyright case if their EULA end up overstepping or violating the law. I don't remember where I heard about the case, but I seem to recall one situation where a company selling die-casting software put in their EULA something to the effect of "by signing this, the company waives their right to develop or sell their own die-cast software." And when another company literally took their licensed software and modified it into their own product, the court ruled in their favor due to the original publisher overstepping their copyright claims and had them revoked (at least in that case).
>>
>>378885643
>Is anybody out there actively trying to change the laws from the inside?
No I mean its shitty they got taken down and I hate that no further updates are coming especially for AM2R but they are out there and can still be downloaded. I just know pokemon uranium had its online feature removed.
>>
>>378898104

Thank you anon.
>>
File: about that.png (78KB, 480x492px) Image search: [Google]
about that.png
78KB, 480x492px
>>378897981
I sure do! Here's a random selection of posts picked from the first half of the currently-active Fire Emblem Heroes thread:

>>378884140
>>378884153
>>378884802
>>378884914
>>378885278
>>378885641
>>378885816
>>378887228
>>378887349
>>378887354
>>378887465
>>378887580
>>378887586
>>378887842
>>378888006
>>378888257
>>378888329
>>378888681
>>378889121
>>378889526
>>378891192
>>378891850

Gee, looks like they're discussing gameplay to me, chief. Maybe you should stop trying to win the argument by just constantly repeating things that obviously aren't true?
>>
This whole thread right now.
>>
>>378898104
>An obvious bait/shitpost thread on 4chan that dies after fifteen replies is representative of every single Fire Emblem discussion in the world to you
Glad to finally see where you're coming from.
>>
File: 1495777160031.png (256KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495777160031.png
256KB, 1920x1080px
>>378896290
Alright here's AM2R's latest 1.2.9 precompiled build, complete with HQ music:
https://mega.nz/#!Vt9QGZCC!32IGF7LjG4Wi2-JMDUPPKQQWT8tKVmdyLwgNFIYeURM

>>378896409
>However, because it's apparently being done in real time, it really looks incredibly lazy. The background in particular looks like ass. If it was actually edited instead of being done real time it could look a lot nicer.
It really depends on location, the caves look ass, but tunnels look much better for example.

>>378896508
>adds a bunch of dumb stuff
Good job being a moron and not reading Doc's planned features he had for 1.2, such as NG+ or Randomizer which this does add.
>>
>>378898657
>tfw i can't even tell if this is mocking people who defend fangames or people who defend companies
>>
Not saying that they're not assholes for doing it, but honestly, from what I've been seeing, most fan game projects get DMCAs on their download links, not Cease and Desist letters.

Now, some may say that that shit is just as bad, but the implications are VASTLY different.
If you get a DMCA on some download link you put up, all that actually went down is someone reported that hosting link as having copyrighted material, and that link is being forced to be taken down.
It's shitty, but that's all there is to it. The link goes down.
That seems to be what happened with most big fan game projects. They got DMCAs then decided to stop doing more themselves.

A C&D letter is much more serious.
That is a representative of the copyrighted material saying "Meet our demands, or we'll sue you."
But if you do what they say, which is usually just take down the shit and stop all work on it, then you're in the clear there too. Honestly the primary reason they send C&Ds is to get more potential money if they sue, going from like a $10,000 max to fucking $350,000 when they have proof of "willful neglect of copyright".
But again, looking into it, it seems that even Nintendo who's notorious for "taking down fan games" almost never sends actual C&D letters. AM2R wasn't C&D'd. Mario 64 HD wasn't C&D'd. Their download links just got DMCA'd and they chose to stop after that.

tl:dr - It's actually not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes, it's shitty that so many DMCA claims get put on fan game download links, but otherwise there's actually very few active actions from even groups like Nintendo against large fan games.
>>
>>378898119
It'll only be helpful for me to give you resources if you're willing to change your entire viewpoint in the face of new facts, but that's unlikely. Nothing against you; it's just human nature. In any case, here's something to get you started. It's long, and you're likely to dismiss it under some vague feeling of it being wrong, but hopefully you'll learn something new from it.
http://questioncopyright.org/promise
Enjoy.
>>
How fucking retarded that you think there are "gamers" in political positions.

Further that even if there are, that they would be wise to use their time on this issue and not ANYTHING else.
>>
>>378898816
Did they ever add the ability to damage Metroids with charge shots?
>>
>>378899517
No, I suggested it but I got ignored for some reason.
>>
File: tumblr_o1agt8UZbg1qmw9y5o2_1280.png (274KB, 1000x1038px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1agt8UZbg1qmw9y5o2_1280.png
274KB, 1000x1038px
>>378885643
You do understand that you were only interested in both of these games because they were Pokemon and Metroid, right? And that if they didn't use these games, you would have never given two shits about them?

Same happened with the horsefuckers game, Mane Six or whatever - once they had to drop the horses and started working with new designs, suddenly not one fucking person cared.

Brands have power, anon - and they have power because of the games and marketing that was put into them. That's why studios have to keep this shit tights, because if they let anyone develop something for free, the brand gets watered down and they can lose it.

It might suck ass, since these were free projects, but the thing still stands - both were created only thanks to Nintendo, their assets/engine/designs/brand name. Any other dev that would want to use all that would have to probably pay millions and still do whatever Nintendo told them - of course they wouldn't let a bigger free popular projects run wild, once they get too big you have to kill them off.
>>
>>378899517

Seems like a good idea, but I think it would go against the lore by making them susceptible to all weapons.

Or if you don't give a crap about the lore, it might also unbalance the game by making them too easy. A missile you have to be precise with, so every shot counts, but a beam weapon is huge and you can shoot the side of a barn blindfolded and still destroy it.
>>
>>378899143
See, you're doing it again. There is no porn. There are no filenames like your example. There are like a tiny handful of posts that are just character art images which you could certainly argue are "waifu images;" some of them clearly are. But not in any quantity so great as to even come close to "drowning out" the vast, vast majority of posters in that thread who are actually talking about gameplay.

I don't know where you got your throbbing, turgid hateboner for Fire Emblem, but you're just making yourself look like a fucking idiot by shouting your easily-disproven bullshit over in over, even in the face of hard examples proving that your perception is blatantly wrong.
>>
>>378899560
God damn it, the original dev mentioned plans for adding that. It's the only reason why I don't have the patience for Hard mode, once you start fighting Zetas and Omegas and they can randomly swat your missiles out the air, you quickly run out of ammo because missile tanks are only worth 2 shots now.

>>378899676
The flying jellyfish Metroids are immune to all forms of shots unless they're frozen and blasted with a missile, but when they start evolving it seems they get a giant FUCK ME point on their body that's vulnerable to just regular missiles, so being able to hurt them with charge shots makes sense to me.
>>
>>378899587

>You do understand that you were only interested in both of these games because they were Pokemon and Metroid, right? And that if they didn't use these games, you would have never given two shits about them?
Blatantly wrong. even if you stripped Metroid out of the name, I'd still love Am2R. Infact, this is why I love most freeware games like Cave Story and dwarf Fortress: they have great gameplay. He could've replaced the main character with Blamus Blaran and there would've been no change to my enjoyment. People just like making tributes, and acting like this is so wrong is what's plaguing our induistry and choking it with unnecessary copyright red tape.
>>
>>378885643
How about instead of making a fan game, you just make your own fucking game? Especially in the case of AM2R, where everything was apparently built from the ground up. Why the FUCK would you choose an established and insanely popular IP? Because brand recognition goes a long way. If it had been anything other than Metroid, this shit hole would called it, "Indie retro trash #XXXX"
>>
>>378899809
>you quickly run out of ammo because missile tanks are only worth 2 shots now.
You can change it in the modifiers.ini in 1.2.9
>>
>>378887951
>>378888281
Assuming you aren't baiting: The point of IP law is that you give authors termporary rights to shit they make so they can profit off of it, before taking it away, so if they want to keep the revenue stream, they need to constantly make new shit every time their old thing goes into public domain.

It's not to protect people's abilities to profit, it's to give them a reason to make shit that will cycle into the public domain for public good. If it lasts the entire author's life, then they have no reason to ever come up with new IP's]

>b-but somebody SHOULD be able to profit off of IP's they make!

Sure, and according to actual fucking researchers, the ideal length to balance that against the good them going into the public domain would do is 14 years: https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2007/07/research-optimal-copyright-term-is-14-years/
>>
>>378899941
Oh, well then I think I might give hard mode another run, good thing I just grabbed that 1.2.9 version, thanks anon
>>
>>378899718

>There are no filenames like your example.
considering that every one has the word "cuck" in it already disproves this notion.

>But not in any quantity so great as to even come close to "drowning out" the vast, vast majority of posters in that thread who are actually talking about gameplay.
Even one post would be enough to discard the thread entirely, as you shouldn't even allow a trace of that in a thread. But 50+ posts? The game is irredeemable trash after that point, no matter how much you try and make up for it by posting still screenshots with no discussion following.

>I don't know where you got your throbbing, turgid hateboner for Fire Emblem,
I hate all games that aren't primarily gameplay focused. If your game has waifus for example, throw it in the trash.
>>
Was Pokemon Uranium ever completed? Is it still possible to find it?
>>
>>378900182
It has its own Plebbit which updated/finished it.
>>
File: ass.png (506KB, 570x567px) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
506KB, 570x567px
The problem isn't that Nintendo is looking for and going after fangames, the problem is retard (((Games Journalism))) sites like Kotaku write giant thinkpieces on them before they release so it brings it to Nintendo's attention.

This way, they get to write two articles and get two sets of clicks
>OMG check out this AWESOME fangame hack of a beloved series, here's how long its been in development, what it looks like, where to find it, and who made it!
>OMG how could Nintendo have found out about this fangame. We're outraged, right "gamers"??

If these sites had any tact and let the projects spread via word of mouth there's no way they'd get shut down nearly as fast.

Nintendo is overaggressive but it's not a coincidence that these projects get a C&D immediately after they're reported on.
>>
File: 149323965859.jpg (116KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
149323965859.jpg
116KB, 576x768px
>mfw PokeMMO is still alive.
Go play it while you can, lads. It's fun with friends sharing the same progress and having battles every time you reach a new town to see how much better everyone got.
>>
File: 12412412321.gif (297KB, 335x320px) Image search: [Google]
12412412321.gif
297KB, 335x320px
>>378885643
>Company makes a idea and a game
>Someone uses that idea and/or game and makes it their own either to sell or give free
>That person is choosing how the creators idea/game is being used without their consent
>Implying they don't have every right to choose to send a DMCA

Anyone who would try to justify is a commie who doesn't understand what it means to hold a idea to such strict laws.
>>
>>378900182
>Was Pokemon Uranium ever completed?
Yes.

>Is it still possible to find it?
You probably don't want to.
>>
>>378900423
>You probably don't want to.
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>378900310
Pokemon uranium was strictly the creator's fault for all of his twitch sessions and money begging on Patreon.
>>
File: 142131231421.jpg (62KB, 993x561px) Image search: [Google]
142131231421.jpg
62KB, 993x561px
>>378900310
It's the same thing with porn artists

Ironically the big ones always complain the loudest since they're the only ones hit because they make a big deal out of it to begin with

Just do your own thing without blowing your trumpet too much so that bigger people will notice you; know your audience.
>>
>>378900416

>I don't understand fair use

That isn't a legal defense, IT'S A RIGHT.
>>
/v/ - butthurt commies
>>
>>378898970
The situation described in the article is the government abusing its power to establish monpolies that favour the distributors/publishers over the creators. I have no doubt that that situation exists right now in all markets, but that doesn't prove that the idea of copyright, that you can have exclusive rights to something you've created, or that you can sell those rights, is a bad idea. It proves that the government meddling with the free market is a bad idea.
>>
>>378900494
it's just not a good game and never was
most of the publicity it received comes from the fact it self destructed after am2r lost the battle to constant dmcas
>>
>>378900416
Except having a copyright to something itself is protectionist and anti captalistic.

In a truly captialist system, you would allow deritive works and fangames and anybody could make games and media with any idea, and whichcever person or company made the best one would get the sales and it'd foster competition.

Having copyright and not allowing other people to use the IP is anti comeptitive.
>>
File: Pokemon Uranium Tonemy.png (462KB, 900x962px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon Uranium Tonemy.png
462KB, 900x962px
>>378900494
The game has some very choppy framerate for whatever reason. Given that it was 2D sprites, there really wasn't a good reason for that. And every experience that problem, so it wasn't an issue of the computer running it poorly. (Although why a computer would run what was basically Emerald on an emulator poorly is just as strange.)

But overall, the game was just dull. The most interesting thing you ran across was probably what was effectively a Koffing as an early-game pokemon to catch. And if a highly defensive enemy which poisons and has only one weakness (which you do not have) sounds like something even more annoying than a Zubat, then you are certainly correct. It was fun to use, but FUCKING HELL ENOUGH WITH THE POISON GAS EVERY TURN.

And overall, it was just a slow and generic Pokemon game which didn't really do anything interesting. At least, not unless you think a particular typing is "interesting".
>>
>>378901047
There is literally no reason the creator of AM2R couldn't have made an original character, setting, and story. He wanted to ride off the back of a popular franchise for instant recognition.
>>
File: 1484681966863.png (418KB, 530x493px) Image search: [Google]
1484681966863.png
418KB, 530x493px
>>378894658

Disney makes good shit but goddamn do they fuck a lot of shit up in their quest for profit.

>>378887558
>>
File: 1496240324665.png (83KB, 605x261px) Image search: [Google]
1496240324665.png
83KB, 605x261px
>>378900840
>copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.

I don't see anything that allows "tribute" like projects where you literally rip the whole game when a code and idea for a game is still the whole copyright.

>>378901047
It is though, everyone would just rip everyone else off and we would have tons of bootleg games.
Just look at somewhere still feeling the effects of communism like China, tons of it.

Having a idea and being successful with should be kept to that deserving individual as that's what capitalism is; reaching the dream.

Of course they can always allow people to use the idea if they want or sell it, that is also still capitalism as it's choosing what you with your idea.
>>
File: male Zarya has a giggle.png (50KB, 180x187px) Image search: [Google]
male Zarya has a giggle.png
50KB, 180x187px
>>378901204

>Metroid
>popular

You're a funny guy.

>>378901331

>I don't see anything that allows "tribute" like projects where you literally rip the whole game
Let me guess, you think he stole the source code for Metroid 2, or that it runs in the same engine, right?
>>
>>378901204
There is a reason: because it's a Metroid 2 remake for Metroid fans, and not an original game meant to start a career.
>>
>>378901473
fuck off ACfag
>>
>>378901473
Why not just make an original game then instead of stealing assets from nintendo?
>>
File: Shia regret.png (291KB, 656x369px) Image search: [Google]
Shia regret.png
291KB, 656x369px
>>378900116
>considering that every one has the word "cuck" in it already disproves this notion.
In that entire thread that I linked to - THE WHOLE THREAD, including but not limited to filenames - the word "cuck" appears literally one single, solitary time, in one single, solitary filename, out of 171 replies and 60 images. Let me clarify for you; I do not expect you to suddenly see the light and decide that you love Fire Emblem; I don't give a fuck if you love it or hate it. But don't just outright lie when criticizing it.
>>
>>378901204
Yes, and if he can make a good game using that IP that's better then what nintendo can do, why shouldn't be be able to profit off of it?

Copyright is a broken system that doesn't make sense under either capitalism or communism.

>>378901331
>It is though, everyone would just rip everyone else off and we would have tons of bootleg games.

And that would be a problem because?

>>378901331
>Having a idea and being successful with should be kept to that deserving individual as that's what capitalism is; reaching the dream.

That's not what captalism is, captalism is the idea that somebody who can deliver a service or a good should be able to profit off of it and by incenviizing people to do so, you can foster competition and increase the quality and decrease the costs to the consumer. Copyright is protectionism and is anti capatlisic.

That would be like if the person who invented cars didn't allow anybody else to make or sell cars and he could overcharge for them.
>>
>>378901708
>Yes, and if he can make a good game using that IP that's better then what nintendo can do, why shouldn't be be able to profit off of it?
Because it's brand recognition, dumb ass. If it was anything other than metroid, people would call it indie garbage.
>>
>>378901801
Yeah, so? If nintendo released a game without their brand name or without anybody knowing nintendo made it the same thing would happen
>>
>>378901680

Except they do make original games. He wanted to make a tribute, which is protected under fair use, but Nintendo abuses the courts by bleeding out defendants with costs?

Therefore Nintendo doesn't deserve to be defended.
>>
>>378901047
So if you spent tons of time, love and money on creating something original and you released it but other people started pirating it and sharing, making rip offs, ruining your IP and companies image, taking away a shit ton of money which is rightfully yours, I could go on.. would you honestly not be pissed? Even a little?
>>
>>378901974
It's not protected under fair use, but it should be
>>
>>378901708
Someone could come up with their own idea better than metroid but wouldn't because le steal existing shit because im a creatively devoid autist aping someone elses product to trick normies
>>
>>378901708
>And that would be a problem because?

None of it would be quality
Most of it would be cheap or free
No one would innovate
Videogame market crash again

>>378901974
>He wanted to make a tribute, which is protected under fair use,
Read what fair use is, tributes aren't included.
Schools and Journalists are what fair use has in mind.
>>
>>378901691

>But don't just outright lie when criticizing it.
But I didn't lie. More than half the thread was people posting porn and making creepy erotic replies like "I want to Marry and have this girl fat on me", less than a few posts were just static screenshots with no discussion, and the rest was shitposting. Just like with FNAF and Undertale and Minecraft, you can tell how bad a game ages by the fanbase it creates.
>>
>>378902157

>Read what fair use is, tributes aren't included.
Bleem! would argue otherwise.
>>
File: Marth.png (4KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Marth.png
4KB, 250x250px
I don't get the "why make a fangame when you could just make your own game" argument. If someone likes a video game, whether it be because of their characters, world, or the general gameplay style, what's wrong with them making a fanmade game to show their love for it? It's no different from people drawing fanart or making remixes of music in the game. People aren't doing it to get famous, not everyone has an ulterior motive in mind.
>>
>>378902001
Nobody here is talking about piracy

>ruining your IP and companies image
Provide evidence this happens

>, taking away a shit ton of money which is rightfully yours
How is it rightfully yours? Do you also think using adblock is stealing?

You aren't disputing my arguement. Under a truly captalistic system, whoever made the best product in a given IP would get the profits and it would foster competition. Explain how that's not true.

>>378902157
>None of it would be quality
They wouldn't exist otherwise so that's not a problem

>Most of it would be cheap or free
Why would that be a problem?

>No one would innovate
Stuff going into the public domain fosters innovation, are you fucking insane? How many current IP's use characters and concept from history and mythology and old litearture or folktales? How many current devices use expired patents?

>>378902082
Except there's no evidence the people making the fangame would make it if they weren't making a fangame.
>>
>>378902335
They do when they have a patreon going.
>>
>>378902001
Not that anon, but the exact opposite. If someone loved my game enough to not only say "I love this game," but to CREATE something that SHOWS they love it? I'd be ecstatic. It means that something I made inspired someone else to create. Even if they made more money than me, that's MY story being shared. Why shouldn't they be rewarded for sharing my story?
>>
>>378902335
You can. But the argument comes from distribution or intent to do so. By distributing it you are clearly using it to gain attention to yourself.
>>
File: 1412412311.png (341KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1412412311.png
341KB, 680x383px
>>378902346
You missed the final result
A market crash

IPs would mean jack shit and no one would bother to do anything as it wouldn't make money

Free games would be nice but then they have no value to them
>>
>>378902540
>By distributing it you are clearly using it to gain attention to yourself.

Are you really this retarded? Maybe because they want other people to enjoy the thing? That's where the "showing the love" part comes in
>>
>>378902335
Because people who've never cared about fangames before need a reason to defend Nintendo, and underages who started using the internet post-kickstarter and patreon don't understand that some things are made for free. Also don't bring up remixes, fanart, or fanfiction, you'll either get "THEY'RE OKAY BUT FANGAMES STILL AREN'T" or "YEAH THEY'RE ILLEGAL TOO JUST LIKE FANGAMES"
>>
>>378902540
>wow, I love this game so much I made fan art of it~
>cool, can I see?
>NO
>>
File: 1492347113996.jpg (13KB, 228x189px) Image search: [Google]
1492347113996.jpg
13KB, 228x189px
>>378902335
>People aren't doing it to get famous, not everyone has an ulterior motive in mind.
Suuuuuureee they don't
>>
>>378902540
LMFAO
>>
>>378902592
There's no evidence to suggest that. Things going into the public domain actually fosters more things being made and sold because it allows anybody to make products that include them.

Again, look at how many modern products and media use things from mythology and benefits from that.

Actual economists and researchers agree on this, see https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2007/07/research-optimal-copyright-term-is-14-years/
>>
>>378902335
Because it's lazy and a complete waste of time.

There is only one 'fan game' in existence that surpasses the original and that is Stardew Valley. Completely shits on it's source material which is Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons for the SNES.

I guess it's not a true fan game as it isn't called Harvest Moon but it was made with that intention.
>>
>>378885643
But Uranium sucked.
>>
>>378902708
Remember, corporations can never EVER be your friend. But random everyday nobodies like me are always full of good intention.
>>
>>378902462
This. You can't say you're doing it for free as a tribute while delaying content until you recieve enough '""""donations"""""
>>
>>378902789
If corporations can do it why can't random internet asshats
>>
>>378902704
Yeah you ever hear of practice? Musicians routinely "jam" without an audience.

>>378902634
Showing the love could be purchasing the product. Notice there aren't any fan games devoid of credits.
>>
>>378902789
I think the correct answer is don't assume anyone is your friend, much less so if they're "selling" or "giving" you something online.
>>
>>378902852
>I made this to SHOW my love of the game
>but I won't SHOW anyone it!
>>
>>378902852
>Notice there aren't any fan games devoid of credits.

There aren't any real products devoid of credits either, I don't get what your point is

Also, there are. Plenty of drawfags here on 4chan don't have watermarks or anything. /vp/'s fangame won't have credits.
>>
>>378885643
>fan art is legal
>fan fiction is legal
>fan manga is legal
>fan porn is legal
>fan games are not legal

What did the government mean by this?
>>
>>378902852

>Showing the love could be purchasing the product.
But they do that. Infact, almost every fangame says something like "if you like this product, please support so and so's official merchandise". You're implying you can only do one thing or another?
>>
>>378902907
1:1 remakes I could see. There are a few of those out there. But the fan games often find things wrong with the original and change it. At that point it's less about being a fan and more of a "look what I personally did guise"
>>
>>378902841
My point being that there can be corporations with good intentions, in the same way there can be random nobodies with good intention. Similarly, there can be corporations who have the absolute worst intentions, in the same way random nobodies can also have ulterior motives.
>>
>>378903002
None of those are legal either, people just don't go after them as much
>>
>>378903045
You're arguing that 1:1 copies of a game are less of a problem than fan games that put some minor original ideas in it?
>>
>>378902746
I think you've missed the fact economics is actual quite a selfish thing, self preservation of your product means it rising in value.

If you make your idea free to everyone, you're losing everything as a result which is anti-consumerism.

Look at how Disney handles their IPs, they mean SO much to them and the amount of money they hold.

The moment it becomes public domain the idea is suddenly not creatively, but financially bankrupt.
>>
>>378902981
My apologies for putting forward an absolute when I meant the vast majority. My mistake.

>>378903015
So why make something like that at all, if you're telling people they would like the real deal better? It's nothing more than a fruitless copyright disclaimer.
>>
File: What am I seeing here.png (52KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
What am I seeing here.png
52KB, 429x410px
>>378902173
You said: "every one [meaning image filenames] has the word 'cuck' in it"
The reality was: only one filename had the word "cuck" in it.
You said: "But I didn't lie."
The reality was: Yes, you did.

I'm torn between being frustrated, amused, and concerned over your apparent ability to just see whatever you want to see regardless of reality.
>>
>>378888214
Why shouldn't it be if you can't prove that it hurt sales of the original?
>>
>>378903214

>So why make something like that at all, if you're telling people they would like the real deal better
Because, again, it's a tribute. They don't want money for it, they don't want prestige or recognition. They literally just wanted to celebrate the IP and the fun they've had with it. Infact, why do you think Doctormario has no problem with people continuing AM2R development? because he doesn't care if people slightly modify the code. He was just happy to make something.
>>
>>378903214
Do you have a franchise you enjoy? Has it ever inspired you to tell people about it? Do you ever feel like telling people about the game? That's what people do when they draw fan art, write fan fiction, create fan games, etc. Why do you think they should be limited to the exact phrase "I love Metroid?"
>>
>>378903196
From the goal of well meaning fan I can see these being less of a problem yeah because they are trying to get more people to play the thing they enjoyed.
>>
>>378903516
>they are trying to get more people to play the thing they enjoyed
By providing it to them for free?
>>
>>378901047
if there was no copyright people could make no money on their IP, period
you would release a game and everyone else would sell it and you'd get nothing
>>
>>378903294

>You said: "every one [meaning image filenames] has the word 'cuck' in it"
I should've clarified. Whether they directly said "cuck" or "I want to see her gangbanged by black guys" it was all the same. My terminology was off, nothing more.

>I'm torn between being frustrated, amused, and concerned over your apparent ability to just see whatever you want to see regardless of reality.
All I'm saying is this: if FNAF or Undertale were really timeless classics, why have their fandoms devolved into erotic roleplaying, porn, and other degenerate activity? And that's the basis I use to judge games like Fire Emblem or Uncharted. They can't go 5 seconds without their identity politics, or jerking off to some woman's armpits, so clearly the gameplay must be purile trash for them to blatantly want to go off topic to stay away from it.

In a way Metroid suffered a similar fate. Back when Prime and Super were the discussion topics, and AM2R got its 15 minutes of fame, nobody ever posted porn. Sure, Samus was a "hottie" as they say on the forums, but people were too busy discussing the cool secrets and boss strategies and sequence breaks. you could go hundreds of threads without even one person talking about porn. But sadly that wasn't to last, and you and I can attest to the current state of Metroid threads and how they've become this cesspool of things I'd rather not discuss.
>>
>>378885643
>Person A creates something
>Person B steals the idea and makes money first
Not ideal, so do we:
>Do nothing, because person A should have prevented this from happening by his own power
>Punish person B for stealing from A
Probably the last one, but how large should the punishment be?
>Punishment is economic, equal to profit that could have been made by A, and which may be construed as lost because Person B hindered A from making money using A's product
This might work in very short time spans, but beyond that it's unscientific due to large uncertainties in projections
>A simply takes all the money B makes from using A's product
This makes much, much more sense. I don't know why we don't do this...
>But what if B is giving it away for free?
Do we go back to the unscientific method, or
>???
>>
>>378903384
Or you know you could be doing what this board was meant for and recommend/discuss the game. I'm sure the people who only played something or got into something for the fan art are going to come out of the woodwork now, but those are an extreme vocal minority.

>>378903493
Above.
>>
>>378903664
>if there was no copyright people could make no money on their IP, period
Then how do other people sell it if they don't have a copyright to it either?
>>
>>378903664
I should have been clear, I was discussing derivative works in particular, all of copyright and IP law in general.

Obviously preventing piracy isn't anti-capalistic (unless you are preventing people from pirating it who wouldn't be buying it anyways)
>>
Nintendo could have literally and legally taken Am2R. And put it up on eShop for 10 bucks. That would have been ideal solution
>>
>>378903718
Nobody knows we are all brainlets here
>>
>>378903754
>Talk about the game, but don't talk about it in this way
Why is drawing a character from a game immoral? Children do it all the time. They see a cartoon character, they like the cartoon character, they draw the cartoon character, they go and show their drawing to mommy, daddy, and their friends. How dare they, right?
>>
>>378903926
No, because they do not own his code. That is his IP, they own the "ideas"
>>
>>378903754

>Or you know you could be doing what this board was meant for and recommend/discuss the game.
And he did that, alot. This isn't Jim Sterling, aka "pirate all Nintendo games because I have a beef with them". This was a guy who just wanted to make something nice as a fanwork, WHILE supporting Nintendo and discussing their games. You can do all those things at the same time.
>>
>>378903926
No they'd rather tell you to buy Federation Force, pay for 20 year old roms, and ignore the franchise's 30th anniversary
>>
File: ct1_zpsc4762c6f.jpg (283KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ct1_zpsc4762c6f.jpg
283KB, 640x480px
>>378887695
fuck don't remind me about the chrono trigger one
>>
>>378904005
Don't reply to the brainlets
>>
>>378886338
Legend of Dragoon 2 fan game
Go eat a dick
>>
>>378903764
you give them a license to sell it

>>378903840
so basically you want to just stop people from having a brand?
>>
>>378904347
No, dumbass, in your theoretical copyright-free world, you can't sell your work for some reason, but everyone else does. How do they sell your work when you can't?
>>
>>378904538
oh you can sell your work, but if there was no copyright then the biggest publishers and distributors would simply reprint/rerelease/resell anything anyone ever puts out for free, and they would do it cheaper and with better distribution methods than you ever could, so without any ownership over your own IP there's no point in even trying
>>
>>378904687
minus for free, i meant anything you try to sell
>>
>>378898816
all i got was dolphin porn what the fuck
>>
>>378904687
I thought self-publishing these days could compete with big publishers though?
>>
>>378904687
>would
Could. Publishers won't take every tiny, unknown game out there, so if they pick up your game, it's because it got popular and you got paid anyway.
>>
>>378905060
Imagine this scenario
You work on a game for two years
You release the game and sell it for 10 dollars
Because there is no copyright, as soon as you release the game, EA downloads your game, and rereleases it on their store for 10 cents
EA loses 5 minutes of their time. Everyone buys the game for 10 cents instead of 10 dollars. You're bankrupt. Every person who creates anything is bankrupt
>>
AM2R was better than any of nintendo's shit halo clones. They just got mad people liked something they had no hand in making.
>>
>>378885643
>>378903981
>>378903718
>>378905269
>>378905060

Here's the solution:

>Make copyright terms last 30 years. This is enough time for a brand to take off even if it doesn't intially, such as in sleeper hits, while also being short enough that it's not unreasonably long
>Make it so that for all deritiive works that make over 10,000$ in profits even after the copyright has expired up untill 200 years of the work originally being released, that you owe the original author or their family a 1% royalty, in the event that a company "Snipes" an IP after it expires
>Allow derivative works (IE, fangames) that are noncommercial after 15 years unconditionally
>Alter fair use so that in cases where a derivative work is noncommercial, it is up to the IP holder to prove it cost them profits or brand damage
>If a given work isn't commercially available in a given region after a 5 year period, noncommercial piracy or dertiive works becomes allowed. If it isn't made available in a given region again after that for another 3 years, the copyright there expires.
>Make it so products people buy they actually own, none of this license bullshit, and they can do whatever they want with it, so long as they aren't committing piracy or affecting other people's experiences (IE, a mod that gives you an advantage in an online game would still not be allowed, but you would be legally allowed to mod the shit out of the copy you personally own offline)

This should fix most of it in a reasonable way

>>378903926
Actually, they couldn't have: Even if you make a deritive work that infringes on a copyright, you still have a unique copyright on it yourself.

IE, you infringing on something is infringement, but so is the original person taking your infringing thing and doing shit with it.

They would have to get permission from him.
>>
>>378905241
bandwidth is dirt cheap, you could resell basically anything that was ever released before anyone even paid for it. You could create a bot that buys everything off an online store and re-releases it on your own without even having to do anything.
>>
>>378903706
>I should've clarified. Whether they directly said "cuck" or "I want to see her gangbanged by black guys" it was all the same. My terminology was off, nothing more.
FEH_Robin_Christmas_03.png
Screenshot_20170602-162646.png
man fuck camus.png (before you jump on this, Camus is the name of the current event boss and the filename is saying "Man, fuck this guy" rather than anything sexual)
staff~ staff~ staff~.jpg
IMG_0609.png
Screenshot_20170602-163122.png
Screenshot_20170602-162757.png
1410518154881.png
Cuckdelia.png (the one true offender)
dragon team.png
1495691051406.jpg
DBFeq-JUQAEK9TO.jpg orig.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-02-17-46-01.png
image.jpg
1496334274209.png
41Me0XZ0JQL._UX679_.jpg
1453602579756.jpg
zNowi.png
camus ghb.png
C_tmswxVoAAuwpI.png orig.png
IMG_1494.jpg
1467102685685.jpg
image.jpg
1442636317926.jpg
Screenshot_20170602-171240.png
color me fucking mad.jpg
161428.png
Weapon_Gradivus.png
IMG_0187.png
image.jpg
DBUwSUtVwAA7Vtp.jpg orig.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-02-16-28-27.png
IMG_5228.png
IMG_1060.png
2017-06-02 16.35.57.jpg
1434487971424.jpg
IMG_5258.png
image.png
IMG_0610.jpg
IMG_5232.jpg
CtTKtrTW8AQ5BsP.png large.png
1496361113267.gif
DBEkUEKUAAID-Ag.jpg orig.jpg
1454348697868.jpg
Definitely not Camus.png
hoard.png
Screenshot_20170602-211202.png
Screenshot_2017-05-28-09-34-38.png
1494176642104.png
1496269934353.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-02-18-18-21.png
Screenshot_2017-06-02-14-14-00.png
1495837876241.jpg
IMG_0189.png
CDxleS2UMAIQKFd.jpg orig.jpg
minerva6.png
4014999.jpg
1308093275515.jpg
fae mopped up.png
Screenshot_20170603-065640.jpg
Screenshot_20170602-191211.png
Screenshot_20170602-104246.png
1495930955964.png
1495309718930.gif
IMG_4505.jpg

Just because you're too fucking stupid to actually look at a thread before you start arguing about it doesn't mean everyone else is.
>>
>>378905269
>>378905406
All of the games in this link are "copyright-free;" they EXPLICITLY permit anyone to make copies and resell them. Why aren't they on EA's store?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games
>>
>>378891306
Another anon here.

AM2R graphics and sound designed were with quality all over the place since the asset had a long time period in between one and the other. But other than that there wasn't any real issue other than having to remake a game linear as fuck by default.

Still an impressive game made by someone from my home country. Gameplay was pretty much the best metroid gameplay ever.
>>
File: AM2R 2017-06-03 02-18-28-54.png (779KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AM2R 2017-06-03 02-18-28-54.png
779KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone having an updated ReShade CRT mod?

The old one makes some fancy graphics but also some less fancy "side-side-effects"
>>
>>378905408

>(before you jump on this, Camus is the name of the current event boss and the filename is saying "Man, fuck this guy" rather than anything sexual)
That's awful convenient if you ask me.

>all the others
A fair point, but the cuck and NTR garbage follows in the images regardless. AND a previous anon pointed out how the threads are permeated with sickos who only talk about fire emblem because of their sick fetishes. So my argument still stands.
>>
>>378905361
>Make it so that for all deritiive works that make over 10,000$ in profits even after the copyright has expired up untill 200 years of the work originally being released, that you owe the original author or their family a 1% royalty
Impossible to enforce
>Make it so products people buy they actually own, none of this license bullshit
you can't own something that can instantly be reproduced for no cost

People shouldn't talk about things they have absolutely no understanding of
>>
>>378905479

That's what I was saying. The know the game has flaws, I won't imply otherwise. But for a free game, it's pretty damn impressive, AND it fixes the otherwise black sheep of the good metroid titles.

Now I'm just waiting on Metaquarius to fix Metroid Fusion.
>>
>>378885643
There's no reason to change the law, and people who are honestly bitching about this and thinking everyone should have the right to use someone else's characters and franchise names for their indie games are fucking retarded. I enjoyed the hell out of AM2R, and it's certainly better than any Metroid game Nintendo has put out since Prime ended. That being said, change the character sprite so it doesn't look like Samus and call it something else. It's utterly fucking retarded that people don't understand that you can't just use someone else's intellectual property without their permission.
>>
>>378905602
>Impossible to enforce
It would be enforced the same way that copyright infringements are enforced now.

>you can't own something that can instantly be reproduced for no cost
Except you can, because that's what a fucking "copyright" is, dumbass. You'd be creating a new legal category, that gives the consumer free rights to do whatever outside of duplication to give to others or interacting with another person's copy in an unauthorized way.
>>
>>378905602
>you can't own something that can be instantly reproduced for no cost
So companies can't own their games then?
>>
>>378905674
Nobody's denying that.

I have yet to see anyone truly dislike AM2R or deny it from the praise its getting.

I am just annoyed that Nintendo decided that it was somehow a threat to their IP.

Besides, the dev is argentinean. I am argentinean and i know how we think. Its strange that he didn't decide to close the blog and keep working on the game on secret and having leaks of the new builds somehow leak, while him deleting all the evidence of him being the one working on it.
>>
>>378905696
>It's utterly fucking retarded that people don't understand that you can't just use someone else's intellectual property without their permission.

Why shouldn't they be able to if it doesn't impact the profits of the original? And if it does, why shouldn't the person be allowed to if they are clearly making the superior product that's getting better sales?

>There's no reason to change the law,
see
>>378887714
>>
>>378905476
two reasons
1) the games are shit and nobody wants them
2) it would damage EAs reputation that was built a world that respects copyright

If there was no copyright law it would literally be the wild west. Everyone would sell everyone elses shit and no creators would ever make any money.
>>
>>378885643
>Actively trying to change the laws from the inside
I hope there aren't communists in our government.
>>
>>378906210
see
>>378901047
>>
>>378906193
Hahahhahahahahahaah
>>
>>378906306
This, supporting copyright is supporting communism
>>
>>378905765
they own the intellectual property. If someone wants to use that intellectual property, ie. you want to play it, you get a license from them. Are you suggesting that everyone who buys a copy of the game should have joint ownership over it?

>>378905763
that's basically what the law is already. except you have a license, it's not a 'copy'. IP cannot be reproduced. IP is unique. You cannot own something that is not in some way unique, either a unique physical object or a unique intellectual creation. You can own the 2$ CD your game comes on, but that's it
>>
>>378906396
It actually doesn't make sense under communism either: In a communist system, any IP would logically be free for anybody to use.

Copyright, at least in regards to how it's enforced now, is both anti-capitalistic AND anti socialist. That's how you know it's super ultra fucked
>>
>>378906193
1) According to you, it takes 5 minutes of their time. They would lose nothing.
Also, you've never played Teeworlds, Battle for Wesnoth, or Xonotic. Those are fun games.
2) >damage EA's reputation
How? They have PERMISSION to sell these games. Direct from the game developers themselves. How is that damaging if they're only doing what they are ALLOWED to?

>everyone elses shit
"Everyone" means "everyone." We have ACTUAL, LEGITIMATE PROOF that people don't sell everyone else's work if they could. You have speculation.
>>
File: Aliums.png (625KB, 454x650px) Image search: [Google]
Aliums.png
625KB, 454x650px
>>378905594
>That's awful convenient if you ask me.
The fact that something doesn't support your literal fantasy version of reality is "awful convenient?" Sorry you feel that way.
>A fair point, but the cuck and NTR garbage
I already proved that the word "cuck" appears nowhere in the thread besides that one single image filename. There is no mention of "NTR" anywhere within that thread.
>follows in the images regardless. AND a previous anon pointed out how the threads are permeated with sickos who only talk about fire emblem because of their sick fetishes.
One poster - the same one posted "Cuckdelia.png" - posted a link to a smut story on Pastebin. He got one reply, which was telling him to fuck off. There is no other "sick fetish" discussion within the thread, as its posters are too busy TALKING ABOUT GAMEPLAY.
>So my argument still stands.
No. It doesn't. It hasn't. And it won't. You don't get to just sit there saying things that are completely untrue and expect that suffice as an argument. I have disproven every single part of your argument; your dogged insistence that subjects which are not being discussed in the current Fire Emblem thread actually are being discussed will never make you any less wrong than you are.

Again, I don't care if you think Fire Emblem is the shittiest video game franchise ever to disgrace our planet; just find an actual fucking reason to dislike it or else stop trying to talk like you know what the fuck you're on about. Judging a game from its fanbase or discussion threads would be stupid enough normally but you're judging a game from THINGS YOU MADE UP IN YOUR HEAD about its fanbase and discussion threads.
>>
>>378906306
>Any entity being able to protect their work from lazy hippies is communism
Good god execute this board immediately.
>>
>>378906557
>that's basically what the law is already.

It's not at all because companies define the license so you have don't have rights you should. There's zero legimate reason for why you shouldn't be able do anything that's not piracy or ruining somebody else's expierence with their copy.
>>
>>378906648
Explain why that post is wrong then. Captalism is all about competition and letting the best man win.

If you aren't allowing competiton and go after people who can do better shit with your idea, then that's anti-captalistic.
>>
>>378906648
>crying to the government to shut down competition is capitalism
>>
>>378906594
If some big company in our copyrighted started to try and sell free games it would be a PR disaster. Perhaps EA was a bad example. Also, why sell something when you can get it legally somewhere else for free? That makes it even more unsustainable
>>
>>378906743
Do you know what competition is? Competition isn't stealing other people's intellectual properties, their works, their products.. It's developing your own product and working to compete, to outperform others with your shit. That is capitalism. What you are asking for is Stalin's communism.
>>378906759
See my response above ^
>>
File: 8b9.jpg (34KB, 600x932px) Image search: [Google]
8b9.jpg
34KB, 600x932px
>>378901034
>be musician
>make some great songs
>no money to record full album in studio
>no money to buy studio equipment
>no money to advertise except doing small gigs/roadside shows
>HAVE TO sign up with a big publisher if planning on becoming big
>there's two options: all rights for record company, or no deal
>all the songs you record are now owned by the record company
>all the songs you play on a gig must be paid for to the record company
>your whole career is practically owned by the record company
>only way to play own songs in public without paying royalties to the record company is to re-record songs with few minor changes and "publish" it on your own
This is what the copyright laws stand for. It has NEVER been about the author, only the publisher, aka, the one with the money.
>>
>>378906674
Well you might have a point there, but seeing we live in a free market economy there's no reason why if a company is providing its users with a shitty deal that another company can't come along and provide a better one. I see no reason why it needs to be regulated
>>
>>378906743
>>378906648
>>378906306
>>378901204
>>378901331
There's literally a report by the house republican community that broke down how the current copyright system is bad both in terms of public benefit, economic growth, and is at odds with the free market:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121116/16481921080/house-republicans-copyright-law-destroys-markets-its-time-real-reform.shtml
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121204/02422821219/fixing-copyright-is-copyright-part-free-market-capitalism.shtml

After the report was released the movie and music industry bitched at the GOP so bad they had to retract it.
>>
>>378906934
>No money to record full album in a studio
Did you know you don't have to record in a studio to record music? You are not forced to record with big dick studio owner and you are not forced to sell your soul to Sony. You can record your music any which way you want. In fact, it's cheaper than ever to record music. Many metal artists have become famous just by doing bedroom recording.

Welcome to capitalism. Where you have the fucking choice.
>>
>>378906625

>The fact that something doesn't support your literal fantasy version of reality is "awful convenient?"
Well, it literally fits what I said, that the threads are infested with degenracy.

>I already proved that the word "cuck" appears nowhere in the thread besides that one single image filename. There is no mention of "NTR" anywhere within that thread.
Except for the cuck filename you already admitted was there.

>One poster - the same one posted "Cuckdelia.png" - posted a link to a smut story on Pastebin. He got one reply, which was telling him to fuck off.
I'm terribly sorry anon, but one reply is still too much. Until I see a thread where NOT EVEN ONE REPLY is about this disgusting trash, then the game remains bad.

>Judging a game from its fanbase or discussion threads would be stupid enough normally but you're judging a game from THINGS YOU MADE UP IN YOUR HEAD about its fanbase and discussion threads.
The links we showed were more than enough. I will not tolerate even 1% degeneracy in discussions, and as you failed to mention, that was far less than what actually happened in the threads. There is never a reason to discuss waifus in a thread about gameplay.
>>
>>378906927
>Do you know what competition is? Competition isn't stealing other people's intellectual properties, their works, their products.. It's developing your own product and working to compete, to outperform others with your shit. That is capitalism. What you are asking for is Stalin's communism.

How do you have competition then if nobody is allowed to make competing things?

So the person who invented a car should be allowed to prevent anybody else from making cars
>>
>>378906850
>it would be a PR disaster
Speculating again. No one would even notice, like how no one remembers when Steam started selling DOSBox.
>>
>>378907024
You know what aspects of copyright law is fucked? The parts where big money can put down little money if their product is *slightly similar*. That's the part that's fucked, not the fact that faggot mcgee can't establish a brand off of Mickey Mouse porno parodies.
>>
>>378885643
fan games are just a waste of time for the developers, they should just make spiritual successor/rip-off and profit. Working for free its stupid.
>>
>>378907049
>I stopped reading at the line I greentexted
>>
>>378907205
No, I read up to the point where you said
>Only top choices, record company or no deal!
Which I refuted. Now, stay BTFO and never reply to me again you limp dick piece of shit. At least learn about what you're speaking of you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>378906934
Yeah, it happened, but there should be no reason why other companies cant come along and start providing better deals to musicians, as small video game publishers have done with indie games. Oppressive monopolies only occur when the government steps in and starts corrupting the free market, as was described in the article, and as I'm sure has happened with every other market, and people are probably trying to do the same to online distribution right now. Don't confuse corrupt captialism with copyright. If there was no copyright people wouldn't be able to make money from their IP at all.
>>
>>378906927
see
>>378907024
>>
File: joseph-stalin-AB.jpg (83KB, 334x250px) Image search: [Google]
joseph-stalin-AB.jpg
83KB, 334x250px
>>378907092
>Nobody is allowed to make competing things
CITATION FUCKING REQUIRED. I literally just bought speakers from a no name company I heard of last week. Who is stopping them from selling their product? Well, let me answer that for you, pic related.
>>
>>378907103
They sell games that run on DosBox, they don't sell DosBox, big difference
>>
>>378906625

For goodness sake, look at this.

>>378884417
>>378885297
>>378886047
>>378886486
>>378887053
>>378887687
>>378888140
>>378890291

Not even 50 posts in, and between the no discussion and blank screencaps that don't encourage talking about the game, it's just people posting waifu garbage.
>>
>>378907373
see
>>378907180
>>
>>378907379
But isn't that companies abilitiy to make speakers infringing on the original inventors's right to their idea?

You are being a hypocrite.
>>
>>378907471
No. It's not. Checkmate atheist.
>>
>>378907534
explain how it's not.
>>
>>378907560
When you own an IP you're allowed to license it to people to do things with it, ie sell it, or play/read/listen to it
>>
File: thatwasntverycashmoney.jpg (46KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
thatwasntverycashmoney.jpg
46KB, 500x364px
>>378907534
>that doesn't count and is totally different because I said so
>>
>>378907393
>they don't sell DosBox
Yeah they do? They distribute DOSBox for money. Just because they bundle it with something else doesn't mean it's not being distributed for money. If DOSBox didn't explicitly permit selling, they couldn't do that.
>>
>>378907075
>Until I see a thread where NOT EVEN ONE REPLY is about this disgusting trash, then the game remains bad.
ACfag you're getting worse
>>
>>378907641
And you think literally everybody who produces or makes any product or device or mechanism has a license from that original creator?

Because they don't. What happened is the patents expire. The difference is that with copyright, the term lengths are absurdly long to the point where it hinders innovation and economic growth as well as just public benefit, unlike patents, which only last a few decades.
>>
File: ovWeInU.jpg (90KB, 445x827px) Image search: [Google]
ovWeInU.jpg
90KB, 445x827px
>>378907679
>That doesn't count
Nowhere did I say that doesn't count. I said there's no infringement. That's checkmate number 2, atheist. You lose.
>>
File: 1495246912337.png (284KB, 529x418px) Image search: [Google]
1495246912337.png
284KB, 529x418px
>>378898816
this link is dolphin porn or viruses isn't it
im not clicking that shit
>>
>>378907049
>>378907303
>how to spot an idiot who knows nothing about acoustics or recording
I bet you think the padding on the walls of the studios is just so headbangers don't get braindamage if they bang too close to the wall. I also did mention
>no money to buy studio equipment
but I guess your ADD got the better of you before reading through the post.
>>378907308
I agree and a lot of people have started recording at home because equipment and tech has gotten relatively cheap and if you know what you're doing, a studio environment is dismissable. However the reality is that most diamonds in the rough have two choices: Buy the equipment/pay for studio time and try to make the best of it or sign a deal with a publisher for the easy way out with gigs etc. guaranteed.

For poor people with no capital to buy expensive instruments and recording gear, the third option is to just quit.
>>
>>378907698
the difference is its a free product bundled in with the paid product that the paid product needs to run. It's different to just selling DosBox completely on its own, which you can get for free, which would be considered a cheap thing to do if anyone actually cared
>>
>>378907864

I just downloaded it. Gave it a virus scan. It seems to be alright.
>>
>>378907835
>And you think literally everybody who produces or makes any product or device or mechanism has a license from that original creator?
Indirectly, yes they do, that's how the world works
Patent laws are much more bullshit than copyright ever was
>>
>>378908091
>Indirectly, yes they do, that's how the world works

Except they don't, those patents were just made hundeds of years ago and they expired.
>>
File: a great need.jpg (96KB, 890x656px) Image search: [Google]
a great need.jpg
96KB, 890x656px
>>378907954
>About acoustics or recording
Thousands of not tens of thousands of artists today like periphery literally became famous from doing bedroom recordings. Digital is an option if you cannot afford studio equipment and it has made people famous. There are MANY options such as digital drums, amps and equipment that allow you to record onto your PC. I mean for fuck sake, recording software is cheap as fuck and you can even pirate it. Please kill yourself you ignorant dog shit human. Congratulations, you triggered the fuck out of me with how goddamn ignorant and stupid you are.
>>
>>378908001
You're grasping at straws here. Steam didn't ask to use DOSBox, and if it weren't open source (even if it's still free) they couldn't do that without explicit permission.
There's no PR storm from it. There would be no PR storm if Steam started selling open source games.
>>
>>378908178
>>378908091
>>378907835
also:

The Consitutuion says the entire point of intellectual property law is that you give authors termporary rights to shit they make so they can profit off of it, before taking it away, so if they want to keep the revenue stream, they need to constantly make new shit every time their old thing goes into public domain.

Having copyright term lengths past a reasonable amount of time that facilitates that is circumventing the constitution. As other posts mentioned, it's also against captalism, and the fucking official republican party released a report explaining this.

How can you possibly argue that current copyright law isn't unamerican and that opposing it is?
>>
>>378907954
I don't know enough about the music industry to make a comment but I know musicians have been fucked over way harder than any game developer has, so I understand your feelings, but I don't think you should label copyright as unfair just because corporate meddling has made things unfair. Copyright is what allows you to sell your work in the first place with absolutely everyone just plagurizing it
>>
>>378908215
>lel but skrillex made his music with his imac and he's famous lol
I'm talking about REAL musicians that actually do the work required for their music to have more depth other than the bass drop that goes so low, you can't even hear it.

Don't be a fucking idiot and think you can get anything real out of your 20 dollar microphone you use to skype your grandma. If you want to have that real, natural and present sound of a guitar, for example, you have to record it through the amp with a microphone and not just plug it into a preamp and run gtrFX for those SWEET DIGITAL REVURRRBS.

There is a difference and no matter what you think, it's more substantial than you realize. There's a reason why professionals still use studios for this shit.
>>
>>378908546
>Wanting to make money using property you didn't create or own
How about you make your own shit?
>>
File: 1444530304375.jpg (13KB, 387x309px) Image search: [Google]
1444530304375.jpg
13KB, 387x309px
>>378898816
>285 mb
>>
>>378908546
Nobody said anything about your constitution Ameritard
>>
>>378908765
Like Disney?
>>
>>378908807

The HD music is bloated as hell.
>>
>>378908765
see
>>378907471

Litterally everything made in the past few hunderd years was made based off of or using something else somebody else made. Using and sharing ideas is what innovation is built off of.

By your logic, nobody should be able to use character or things from mythology or religion because it was somebody elses idea.
>>
>>378908498
>There would be no PR storm if Steam started selling open source games.
you're probably right at this point
maybe people would care if big bad EA bundled every free game on the planet and sold them on Origin but people allow Steam to get away with anything
Still, without copyright law to give you the rights as to what you do with what you've created, anyone can sell what you've created cheaper than you or release it for free, so music and video games can't even exist as a business without it
>>
>>378908820
Except that's all the foundation of logic of all intellectual property law worldwide.
>>
>>378909031
copyright doesn't stop that though
patents do
you can make really fucking blatant clones under the copyright law and still sell them so long as you didn't actually rip anything or use their trademarks
>>
>>378908765
Name a single idea or product made in the past 100 years that doesn't include ideas or other inventions from somebody else
>>
>>378907075
>I'm terribly sorry anon, but one reply is still too much. Until I see a thread where NOT EVEN ONE REPLY is about this disgusting trash, then the game remains bad.
> I will not tolerate even 1% degeneracy in discussions
Either you are the king of baiting or you are the most genuinely autistic person on /v/, which is honestly kind of equally impressive. One way or the other I'm done wasting my time on you.
>>
>>378909172
Copyright directly analogus to patents, it's just a physical thing vs concepts and ideas

>you can make really fucking blatant clones under the copyright law and still sell them so long as you didn't actually rip anything or use their trademarks

Then I don't even understand your concern.
>>
>>378885643
Yeah, Bc People dont have the right to protect their properties...

People who make fangames are really stupid, they should make an new ip instead of the fagnames that they know are going to be canceled

they deserved everything
>>
>>378909224

You would at the very least understand if you'd ever been in a singular FNAF thread, or Undertale thread. You would know all too well how bad it gets.
>>
>>378909294
>Yeah, Bc People dont have the right to protect their properties...

There's no evidence fangames harm it to begin with though
>>
>>378909062
>can't even exist as a business without it
Let me introduce you to one of my favourite webcomics:
https://peppercarrot.com
His works are all under a very permissive copyright license: do whatever the fuck you want to, as long as you give credit.
He makes $2,261 every time he makes a new comic. Almost all of that goes directly to him.
It's not video games or music, but it demonstrates that people WILL pay for something, even if they're not FORCED to, if they like it.
>>
File: YES.png (2MB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
YES.png
2MB, 1280x1440px
>>378907075
Could I conceivably ruin everything that you love by actively seeking out discussion threads and posting the word "cuck" a single time in each one? It's kind of rad to have that sort of power over someone.
>>
>>378909345
fangames would directly harm Nintendo's business strategy of having a strong brand identity and 'high quality' games
>>
>>378886338
>They aren't, Nintendo's the only company that actively goes after fan games
They're one of the only companies whose properties /get/ fangames. You don't see EA busting fangames of their properties because nobody gives enough of a shit about any of those IPs to make a fangame.
>>
>>378909415
>it demonstrates that people WILL pay for something, even if they're not FORCED to, if they like it.
in some cases yes, in most cases no
the entire creative world can't run on Patreon
maybe some time in the future, definitely not today
>>
>>378909462

>Could I conceivably ruin everything that you love by actively seeking out discussion threads and posting the word "cuck" a single time in each one?
You'd have to do that in every single thread, while figuring out when and where the threads are located and created. The funny thing is that I love niche games, so you never see a general thread about them, and there's no e-celebs shilling them, nor will you find tripcode users constantly jerking off to them. They're completely and utterly unknown little titles.

with a popular game like Undertale or Horizon: Zero Dawn, it's piss easy to derail any of the threads by posting porn, as instead of ignoring it, people will completely fall into it and destroy the thread with shitposting and more porn.
>>
>>378909742
I'm not really sure why you read or post on /v/ if it's so easy for you to get distracted by lewd/shitposting. I'm not in favor of that sort of garbage myself, but your obsession with it isn't much better.
>>
>>378909701
>in most cases no
That's already the case. There are so many terrible artists out there that fail, even with (or perhaps because of?) an iron grip on their "intellectual property."
>>
>>378909581
You'd have to prove that, considering that general normies don't even know fangames are a thing, and anybody who does know how fangames work already has their mind made up about nintendo and knows about them.
>>
>>378890616
>Crash
good job, you linked a page full of unfinished games that nobody cares about
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13100357

Let's settle this
>>
File: 1464462954798.jpg (10KB, 176x200px) Image search: [Google]
1464462954798.jpg
10KB, 176x200px
Hey guys, wanna hear a joke?
Mother 4
>>
>>378910015
terrible artists fail cause they're terrible artists. It's just not realistic to think that all the artists in the entire world can support themselves on donations. It's a utopian delusion
>>
>>378909971

I browse /v/ for my news, and because honestly it's the only good site for video games. Have you ever been to neogaf? Disgusting place.
>>
>>378910386
>all
The good ones succeed, the bad ones fail. Just like today.
>>
File: done.png (158KB, 496x377px) Image search: [Google]
done.png
158KB, 496x377px
>>378885643
>Is anybody out there actively trying to change the laws from the inside?

What are you kidding me? There's too much money to be made from fucking over the common man who makes exactly what he wants. by forcing your product to be the only available option you control a niche in a crowded market, and that's a valuable commodity which is why Nintendo lets their frothing mouth'd lawyers run free like this.

Nintendo isn't important enough and doesn't have enough figure status in the game industry anymore to control gaming. All they have is their niche interests and if fans can make games that they actually want it's a threat to them. Nintendo like all game companies nowadays wants to crank out no-risks-taken high reward low quality casual tripe and have fans think it's the only option for them out there to get their IP's.

If fans think its the only option they have, Nintendo controls those niche's which is all the more incentive for them to go after small game authors and fan projects.
>>
>>378910481
I meant all the successful artists, obviously. If you think all entertainment could survive off goodwill donations with nothing protected by copyright law you're extremely delusional.
>>
>>378910834
"Good" is subjective. Without copyright, people would have to be BETTER, or they don't get paid. Isn't that what the free market's about?
>>
>>378910386
The point here is that copyright laws can be abused. Such a law needs to change. The spirit of the law is to allow the author to make some money in the product's lifetime, before it is passed into public domain so people can innovate on it. The law does not reflect this.
>>
>>378898928
Finally a fucking rational person
This C&D thing is mass hysteria and also a meme, barely any of these cases are the company actually doing something instead of just cowardice
>>
>>378911106
Without copyright people wouldn't get paid, period. The amount of people willing to donate towards entertainment compared to the amount of people who consume it is incredibly small. Like, less than 1%. So if you took away copyright law, everyone would resell everyone else's work or just distribute it for free. That's not "free market", that's no market, that's anarchy
>>
>>378911487
would you consider the changes this anon proposed here reasonable fixes: >>378905361
>>
>>378911487
>Without copyright people wouldn't get paid, period.
See >>378909415
This person is getting paid, period.
This person does not rely on copyright, period.
Your argument holds no water, period.
>>
>>378911163
>The law does not reflect this.
yes it does, you're free to copy the fuck out of a game as much as you want so long as you don't use their trademarks. Make a complete Metroid clone, it's perfectly legal so long as it's called something else and doesn't actually have Nintendo's characters in it.
>>
>>378911650
At that point though, why even still have the trademark conditonal? It'd be the same shit and everybody would know it
>>
>>378911106
Without copyright laws
>Anyone can nab your game or creation and sell it as their own
>All that money piled up from what you created is now split between hundreds, if not thousands, of people who are selling your creation
>Prices would go down REALLY fast because of no limit on how to price the creation
>Creation is no longer profitable because it's essentially free
>Creator essentially gets paid once when bringing the creation to the market
With copyright laws
>You create something, no one else can use it legally
>You can sue people breaking the copyright laws
>You can sell the rights to the creation if you so wish
>Creation is profitable because there are limited ways to obtain the creation and prices are limited due to the creator setting the initial selling price

Also
>without copyright, people would have to be BETTER, or don't get paid
This is called healthy competition and is sustained by copyright laws. If there weren't any laws to stop people from ripping off something, they'd just keep copying with innovation most likely.
>>
File: 1496345749402.jpg (93KB, 360x549px) Image search: [Google]
1496345749402.jpg
93KB, 360x549px
>>378905361
>>378911163
>>
>>378911618
One exception does not prove the rule. As I said, it's less than 1%. Stop being stupid

>>378911552
No. You can make derivative works so long as you give the author 1% royalty? Lol, goodbye trademarks and branding
>>
>>378911948
with MINIMAL innovation*
>>
>>378911735
No it wouldn't, trademarks have weight and meaning in the minds of an audience, which is why they still fucking exist. How many completely shit sequels exist that people buy just cause they have a popular brand slapped on them? Brands matter
>>
>>378912093
>>378911992
I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that a fangame can actually really damage a brand though.

The general public doesn't encounter fangames, anybody who would see a fangame would know it;s a fangame so the brand wouldn't be damaged by it.

>You can make derivative works so long as you give the author 1% royalty

He says after the copyright itself expired after 30 years. So you think 30 years is too short a copyright term? Even though actual economists think that 14 years is ideal?
>>
File: the mouse.jpg (77KB, 342x491px) Image search: [Google]
the mouse.jpg
77KB, 342x491px
>>378885643
HA HA, MY MASTERS WANT TO KEEP ME TO THEMSELVES FOREVER, SO THEY LOBBIED CONGRESS! NOW COPYRIGHT LAW, SOMETHING THAT WAS MEANT TO PROTECT AND ENCOURAGE INNOVATION, IS BEING USED TO PROP UP THE WELL-ESTABLISHED BRANDS OF GIANT MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS! BUT HEY, AT LEAST I'M IMMORTAL NOW, OH GOSH!
>>
>>378911992
>people won't get paid, period.
That is what you said, word for word.
People will get paid. Not as many people, but they will get paid.
Will this mean there will be some creative drought as not everyone will get paid for their work? Absolutely not. People will still express themselves and create stories, music, etc. Culture will survive, even if Disney doesn't.
>>
>>378911992
>>378911992
Art is not something measurable in money since it holds different value to every single person. The only reason music doesn't reflect the same individual value in pricing is because live gigs are the real services and experiences the records are giving a glimpse of. It's a very generous demo.
This is just one of thousands of people posting their art online and this one got REALLY lucky. In a market as saturated as webcomics, only a fraction will be able to live off of it and trust me, this one will die off as well before long.

If the same concept would be used in every profitable substance, that would mean that everyone gets paid very little, some get paid a lot while everyone else gets nothing or no one just gets paid period.
>>
>>378912590
>gifted person in (insert here)
>want to do thing gifted in
>start doing thing but when everyone else realizes you're good at thing, they start copying you
>all your work is now bastardized by ungifted people
>you don't get paid
>have to go back to the coal mines or not eat ever again
This is the most realistic depiction of an instance without copyright laws. If you don't agree with this, you should read up on more activities in China where copyright law is laughed upon.
>>
>>378910297
Why should I care if fangames profit? If they make better games than Nintendo or whoever, then Nintendo can suck a cock.
>>
>>378912365
he said "even" after it expired, implying you can make derivative works whenever, and you just have to pay. Ideally the copyright remains as long as the product is still relevant and selling, what the ideal length would be, I don't know. 14 years period is obviously too short for some things. Video game franchises that still sell today are often over 20 years old.

I think a fangame would cut into Nintendo's profits, because Nintendo's business strategy is to keep their IPs locked up tight, and not give people the games they really want so they will buy the next sequel they shit out. People making fan games would decrease their desire for more Nintendo games in that franchise. Nintedo's audience for their core games isn't the 'general public', it's rabid manchildren who played Super Nintendos as a child and buy everything they ever make
>>
>>378912980
>start doing thing
>everyone realizes you're good at thing
>they start PAYING YOU to draw their ideas
>you become rich
>inspire everyone to become as good an artist as you
See, I can make up extreme examples of the best/worst case scenarios, too.
This argument is pointless, neither one of us will change our minds, and no one reading it will ever change theirs, or even remember this thread 5 minutes after it's gone.
>>
>>378895087
>>378895273
I downloaded 1.2.9
How do I change palettes?
>>
>>378891995
Yet Another Fire Red Hack
Touhoumon Purple
>>
>>378912590
you're starting to sound like a communist
Just because something works on a small scale doesn't mean it works for society at large
>>
>>378913280
most people aren't this alutristic. Most people are too poor to pay even if they wanted to. Your scenario is a utopian scenario.
>>
>>378913083
>Video game franchises that still sell today are often over 20 years old.

Sure, but by that point, haven't they already fulfilled their purpose? If you have a franchise still going strong 14 years later, then they don't really have an incentize to make new franchises, which is the point of copyright law, they could just sit on the one IP

Also, if it's still selling 20 years later, they won't just stop selling just because it'd be public domain. You still have loyal fans who would buy the product officially even if they can get it free (see: people who don't pirate stuff even when they can), and new games in that franchise would still be protected by their own copyright, and people would still buy those
>>
File: vGw26OP.gif (526KB, 524x419px) Image search: [Google]
vGw26OP.gif
526KB, 524x419px
>>378891995
Sage isn't technically a romhack, but it
>>
>>378913457
And yours is a dystopian speculation that assumes the worst in people.
In any case, I'm done arguing.
>>
>>378913489
>If you have a franchise still going strong 14 years later, then they don't really have an incentize to make new franchises, which is the point of copyright law
the point of copyright law isn't to incentivize you to make new things, it's to give you ownership of what you have made so you can profit from it.
>>
>>378913457
You realize Patreon is pretty much the primary income source for e-celebs these days since Youtube started getting too Jewy to live on? If Spoony and DSP can live off of hipster welfare anybody can.
>>
>>378913610
>the point of copyright law isn't to incentivize you to make new things, it's to give you ownership of what you have made so you can profit from it.

Incorrect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Clause
>>
>>378913610
that's wrong you fucking retard, the wording that allows it litterally says "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts"
>>
>>378913574
it's not dystopian, it's reality. Reality cannot exist with no laws. You'd have to have your head in the clouds to think otherwise. Reality can't even exist, at a large scale, in the gift economy you're proposing. It might be able to in the future, but certainly not now. Being realistic is not being dystopian. Stop being an idiot
>>
>>378913291

I believe the readme file explains it in detail. Basically you much around in the modifier config file.
>>
File: 1445101497037.jpg (76KB, 480x533px) Image search: [Google]
1445101497037.jpg
76KB, 480x533px
>Super Smash Flash 2 has gone 10 years in the making
>Beta has just dropped after getting plugged by at least ten semi-big Youtube channels and a bunch of smaller ones
>No DMCA

My anus is clenched
>>
>>378913635
Yeah, which is why I said "most people" and not "all people". It's something you can do, but it's foolish to assume that it would work for everyone at this point
>>
>>378913291

Go into "modifiers" in the folder, scroll down to [FourColorFilters], and type a "1" in place of the "0" next to "Usefilter =". Then choose 1, 2, 3, or 4 in the DefaultFilter line.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/13100590

Since the disscusion seems to have shifted to be about term lengths, here's another strawpoll about that rather then about fangames
>>
>>378895250
Nope. PM ceased development for fear of being shut down. Didn't help that it was also banned from Twitch.
>>
since this is the designated fan games thread

>YOU KNOW REMEMBER MOTHER 4
apparently it's going through rebranding and i'm pretty sure if it's released as it's current state the devs will get sued to shit.
F
>>
>>378913659
>>378913706
sorry I'm not from America, the 'exclusive rights' part is generally regarded as the most important part
>>
>>378913762
>>378913939
ah thanks they're pretty bad anyway
>>
>>378914046
That really doesn't change the core issue. They got to expire at some point, and you can't define that as "whenever it stops selling", because people still buy copies of the bible and other thousands of year old myths and legends.
>>
File: 1486331469290.png (265KB, 975x526px) Image search: [Google]
1486331469290.png
265KB, 975x526px
>>378914021
they could literally rename it to father 4 and have no legal troubles
>>
>>378914156

At least they're authentic to the GB's puke green color scheme, though it makes me appreciate the original color filter more.
>>
>>378914021
I don't think that one is Nintendo's fault honestly. Nintendo, to their credit, have been super hands-off with the Mother fanbase and the quasi-copyright violating shit they've done over the years. Granted, that's probably more because they just don't care about the series more than good will on their part, but still.

I think the Mother 4 people saw Untertale take the fuck off and now they just want to rebrand it into something they can sell on Steam and the like.
>>
>>378913847
>Flash in two thousand and fucking seventeen

nobody cares
>>
>>378913280
>he thinks anyone with profit in mind would pay you if there was nothing stopping them from just using your stuff for free
See, here's where you're wrong though. Let's say that the copyright laws were revoked tomorrow. If you'd invent something new and original, someone with more money than you would just take the idea as soon as you go public with it, improve it and shove it out to the masses cheaper than you could ever afford to sell.

Things wouldn't change for the better, they would only get more biased towards the people who have connections and resources. Startups would die because their innovative ideas are now free for anyone to abuse. For e-celebs and other netbeggars are bound by the minds of their supporters. If the supporters lose interest, they wither out and they get no more money. They have to throw away their own original ideas and support mass mentality or else that little feminist bubble that keeps their paychecks coming stop supporting them.

This is the truth, man.
>>
>>378914218
That's true, but I think the copyright for something expiring while you're still fucking working on it is pretty ridiculous. I think people saying "14 years" are assuming it' an individual product, like a book or a song, that is released once and that's it. What if Blizzard lost the rights to WoW while they were still actively working on it?
>>
>>378914457
>lost the rights
You mean they're legally barred from continuing to work on it?
>>
>>378914521
Meaning someone could take Blizzard's source code and run their own WoW servers completely for free and people could play on them and they couldn't legally do a thing about it.
>>
>>378914457
As the other posts said, even if your rights expire to it, it'll likely still sell.

I agree that 14 years seems too short even if it's the "ideal" length for innovation and economical growth, but IMO anything past 30 years or so is absurd, and I really think that having seperate expiration periods for allowing noncommercial deritive works, allowing commercial deritive works, and full expirey could be useful

For example, I'd be cool with 20 years till noncommercial deritive works are allowed, 30 years till commercial ones, and then life of author till full expirey.
>>
>>378914656
Source code would likely fall under trade secret and as such not expire ever, which I think is bullshit, but that's another issue
>>
>>378914656
How would they get the "source code?" Does it just magically appear once copyright expires?
>>
>>378914767
>I agree that 14 years seems too short even if it's the "ideal" length for innovation and economical growth,
Fuck off, most entertainment ideas make the vast majority of their sales in the first WEEK, much less 14 years later. So much so that businesses usually don't even bother keeping track of sales past that. It should be 5 with a 5 year extension IF you can prove it's warranted.
>>
>>378914828
ok, someone could write their own server and run it a bit cheaper, and they could advertise it everywhere cause it would be completely legal
I mean I know people already are running those servers and I'm not saying I give a shit, but legally that shouldn't be allowed, it could completely destroy the profits of an MMO you're running
>>
>>378885643
>starting your post with "so" and unironically using the word "butthurt"
>>
>>378914457
Blizzard owns the trademark which can be refreshed before it expires and costs money. Copyrights and trademarks are two different things and copyright is more in protecting a finished work while trademark is to protect the name and reputation of the work.

I mean, I could go out and make a WoW clone and they couldn't sue me if I didn't use any of trademarks. I can't, however, use their game engine until copyright wears off.
>>378914980
The biggest reasons these private servers exist are
1. They're non-profit, meaning they're not infringing on the trademark
2. Most of the code running server side is written by the server upkeep and is not using the same code as real blizzard servers. This is the reason why private servers are buggy as hell usually.
>>
>>378914980
A lot of those servers are offering unique things that official ones don't though: Different settings, less profanity filters, etc.

I'd argue that in those cases, they should be allowed, but blizzard should be able to get the profits off of them rather then it not being allowed entirely
>>
>>378914980
Heavens to Betsy, how could us peons sleep at night unless we knew that Blizzard is exclusively making money off of WoW forever at the expense of cheaper competition? Gosh, they might even have to make an expansion every few years or something to keep the money coming in. HOW COULD BLIZZARD AND GAMERKIND SURVIVE IN SUCH AN UNJUST AND UNTHINKABLE WORLD? I MEAN THEY WOULDN'T EVEN BE ABLE TO USE THE LEGAL SYSTEM TO SHUT DOWN VANILLA SERVERS!
>>
>>378915184
games which run as services now make the 'finished work' thing very blurry, and the private servers running today aren't legal
>>
>>378915393
Most are legal depending on where their servers are located at. But you're right, the line between product and service has blurred immensely over the last decade.
>>
>>378915230
in reality saying "you can use copyrights so long as you give the owner a cut" is impossible to enforce

>>378915376
I don't give a shit about vanilla servers. I think Blizzard is a shitty company and I'm glad someone is undermining them. But I'm talking about the law, I'm just using their MMO as an example
>>
>>378915552
>in reality saying "you can use copyrights so long as you give the owner a cut" is impossible to enforce

I don't see how it's any more impossible to enforce then copyrights as a whole. Piracy and fanworks are rampant even now, as are private servers.

All that would do is offer a compromise between the server operators and blizzard so they both maybe work along rather then them getting away with everything
>>
File: 1435118228555.gif (2MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1435118228555.gif
2MB, 240x180px
>>378915707
And everyone would start paying Blizzard just because they now have a choice to?
Wew lad
>>
>>378915707
>I don't see how it's any more impossible to enforce then copyrights as a whole
because it gives everyone the right to derive your work, so they will, and proving someone made money off your work and exactly how much money is MUCH harder than just proving that they copied you. It clogs up the legal system with "you copied me 5 years ago and I think you earned this amount of money off it"
>>
When has any artist or creator in history ever sat down and thought, "gee, what's the least amount of work I can possibly do to get rich, or at least make enough money that I can sit on my ass the rest of my life?"

I can understand that from a pragmatic point of view, we need some socioeconomic system that will provide a common framework for everyone, not just the dreamers. But arguments surrounding copyright, trademark, etc. always center around personal motive, rather than necessity, as if somehow people will stop being creative if there's not "something in it for them." Why is this the case?
>>
>>378915959
I think some would, yeah.

Again, look at piracy: Tons of people do pirate, but many more people don't pirate and buy officially even when they COULD pirate.

If there were a legal avenue to do what they want to do and work with the official creators, I think a lot of fanwork authors and server operators would do it, because most of them aren't doing it for personal benefit anyways
>>
>>378916015
artists should be able to earn a living off their work
>>
>>378915984
>It clogs up the legal system with "you copied me 5 years ago and I think you earned this amount of money off it"

The thing is, the legal system is already set up to massively be in the favor of large companies: it costs thousands of dollars to even defend yourself in court.
>>
>>378916098
They'd still be able to do this under saner copyright rules. maybe even better, because saner rules would give more rights to the actual aritsts and not just publishers
>>
>>378916143
if you allow derivative works it's not just large companies that will be affected, it'll be every remotely popular artist.
>>
>>378916057
You want me to remind you about Nost and how Blizzard just said no to the only thing that could stop private servers once and for all?

There is no incentive to pay for something you can do for free. Would you pay for the right to run if the law said you couldn't run without paying the runners' tax or would you run regardless with the risk of getting fined?
>>
>>378916385
I don't know all the details about the nost blizzard stuff, go ahead and explain that
>>
File: AM2R_Final_Title.png (571KB, 634x476px) Image search: [Google]
AM2R_Final_Title.png
571KB, 634x476px
>AM2R source code gets reverse-engineered through RAM dumps
>New Game+ mode that was planned is officially implemented
>Hell Run no-save mode is also implemented
>Title screen swaps are now possible
>Various other bugs fixed

Fans still doing what Nintendon't.
>>
>>378916315
I struggle with this concept in general. If someone can do a better job than you, even if you're the one who "came up with it first," why SHOULDN'T they be able to reap the benefits of that?
>>
>>378916654
they should. It's not a matter of stopping people who do things better than you, it's a matter of stopping people who will literally resell your work as it is, at a lower price, that they can afford because they didn't make it and you did.
>>
>>378888173
>SMBX
>rom hack
>>
File: ce7xetz44mutz8gmdtsp.jpg (46KB, 800x399px) Image search: [Google]
ce7xetz44mutz8gmdtsp.jpg
46KB, 800x399px
>>378916654
>>378916769
New Copyright law: Copyright is suspended forever, unless you're Chinese, then it applies to you for all time.
>>
>>378916483
>Nost becomes the no 1 private vanilla server
>Blizzard tells Nost to close servers
>Nost brings up discussion about legacy servers
>A lot of people get really hyped about this
>Nost closes down while Blizzard "teases" legacy servers
>Nost approves of this and offers to help Blizz realize the legacy servers
>Blizzard backs down
>Nost gives up and releases their server code to another successful private server
>Nost code is one of the best around and it's free for any private server to utilize now
>Blizzard's playerbase keeps falling while private servers become more common
Thread posts: 470
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.