[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Deep Caverns one of the most badly designed areas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 11

File: UnderRail.jpg (8KB, 330x153px) Image search: [Google]
UnderRail.jpg
8KB, 330x153px
Is the Deep Caverns one of the most badly designed areas in video game history?
>>
>>378885165
if they had a map it wouldn't have been so bad
>>
>>378885347
This, but with the entire game in mind.
>>
>>378885165
No idea, all I know is I got frustrated as hell.
>>
After patches it's quite a well-designed endgame.
Can't wait for the expansion.
>>
>>378885165
Why did they have to include enemies that could spawn randomly?
>>
No. There've been a fuckton of blatantly unfinished RPGs with much worse zones. DC can't compare to basically any zone from VtM:B's endgame.
>>
>>378885801
VtM:B at least had small maps you could easily memorize. It's way too fucking easy to get lost in UnderRail.
>>
It's always fun to see people complain about the "endless respawning enemies" without realizing they're fucking up and it's entirely avoidable
>>
>>378886008
Good. I haven't gotten lost in a game in fucking ages.
>>
>>378885165
EXPANSION WHEN
I WANT MUH SHOTGUNS
>>
>>378886130
Have fun getting your brains either smashed in or fucked by an enemy with twice your level.
>>
>>378886330
I will. And when I come back 5-10 levels later, I'll have even more fun clearing out the place.
>>
>>378886330
running away is always an option
>>
File: 1496173812623.png (36KB, 506x506px) Image search: [Google]
1496173812623.png
36KB, 506x506px
Psi runs are so fun. Can't even play with guns because psi adds a shitload of depth via loads of crowd control options that can even be combined with grenades.
One of the best CRPGs to play as a spellcaster, i think.
>>
>>378886470
If you can when the enemy can easily kill you in one turn.
>>
>>378886494
non-psi has a lot of CC options as well
heck proper crossbow/trap builds have as much CC as dedicated psi
>>
>>378886638
use flashbangs/kneecap, dork
>>
>>378886638
don't get up close with an enemy that can kill you in 1 turn?

also the game autosaves very frequently, so if you really cannot survive in an area try going back the way you came
>>
>>378885165
It certainly broke me, I ended my 80 hours playthrough there
>>
>>378886494
I'm currently playing as a psi only character with 10 con and 10 will. Everything is getting mindfucked by my fat, thick brain.
>>
>>378886863
I think that 9 CON is enough, one point is better spent on DEX to avoid negative skill scaling, but overall yea, CON/WILL/INT psi build is among the funniest in the game.
>>
>>378886862
I'm close to giving up at this point.
>>
>>378886638
>Flashbang
>Nets
>Barrier
>Kneecap
>Sprint
>Hit-and-Run
>Uncanny Dodge
I'm probably forgetting a half-dozen or so other things, but the game gives you plenty of ways to disengage.
>>
>>378886985
10 con allows access to thick skull which is damn useful
but yeh you can survive with 9 con as well for a last stand/tranquility build
>>
>>378886985
You need 10 to get thick skull, tho.
>>
>>378887180
>>378887291
Locus of Control already provides anti-stun option without draining AP pool. Never felt like i need thick skull.
>>
>>378887180
Is last stand really that useful? I'm usually never in a situation where I need to use it.
>>
File: science.png (105KB, 649x463px) Image search: [Google]
science.png
105KB, 649x463px
>>378886994
I ran around for hours and when I eventually tried to get directions from the factions I found out I missed a flag somewhere, so both factions hated me. Infinite spawning enemies that kills you in one hit sure is fun as well.
>>
>>378887486
Tranquility/Last stand is a fantastic combo as it allows you to regain the tranquility reduction at any time you want
>>
>>378885165
Get the biohazard suit to avoid all the fucking bio shit that area throws at you.
>>
>>378887641
Yet it leaves you with 1 health remaining which I really don't see advantage of.
>>
>>378887850
by the time it reduces you to 1 health you've already killed everything around you
>>
I thought you fuckers loved the game! What happened?
>>
>>378888079
We finished it and realized it had a lot of flaws.
>>
>>378888079
there's not much left to discuss
when the xpac hits you'll see bigger threads
>>
>>378885795

Its not random, you have a fucking debuff that goes down when you leave tchort area of influence and slowly goes up when you get close, they only spawn when its at max
>>
>>378888079

Everything to be discussed about it already had a lot of threads, everybody is just waiting for the expansion.

the only times when one of this threads kicks off is when there is people who didn't play the game and want tips, and then suddenly you might get a bunch of people to bump the thread with info that you could have just gotten from the wiki
>>
>>378888539
The wiki is pretty barren tho.
>>
expansion when? I want to get the game but feel like I might as well wait until the expansion actually comes out
>>
Feels like i won't be able to incorporate the new psi school into my psi build.
Is it more for hybrid builds? Doesn't look that strong.
>>
>>378889036
Did they really need to add a new one in? Psi's strong as is.
>>
I randomly have this on my steam account - must have been a humble bundle key.
What is it and should I install it?
>>
>>378889237
Isometric Post-apocalyptic RPG in the same vein as Metro 2033 and Fallout. Yes, install it.
>>
>>378888650

yeah, but it has everything you might need, the things missing are really obscure combinations of stuff or incredibly small details that you might want to know for min-maxing

in the end anything missing you can just learn by playing the game (although a console to cheat stuff to be able to test interactions wouldnt be a bad idea, some things take just too long to get going to be able to test something that might not work)
>>
>>378889112
yeh but it's mostly a support one, it's all about time warping and shit and designed entirely around supporting other playstyles with all kinds of time related fuckery

full psi probably will benefit the least of it
>>
>>378889237
Exploration/combat-oriented RPG with a good RPG system and a shitton of viable builds and nice atmosphere.
>>
>>378889237

did you play and like fallout 1/2 or any isometric rpg ?, if you did then yes install it.
>>
>>378885795
the deep cavern is cthulu's territory. He is basically the dungeon master of that area and he do what he like.
>>
>>378889396
I like all of those words

I'll install it.
>>
always wanted to get into this game.

do enemies respawn and drop loot? can you theoretically grind to max level and money by farming respawning enemies?
>>
>>378889810
be aware there's a fairly heavy focus on mechanics and combat

it's entirely possible to completely fuck up your character's build (though the game is kind enough to include an early high difficulty area that'll make it fairly obvious if your character is viable) and some degree of minmaxing is expect, jack of all trades characters will not work
>>
>>378889894

No, there are respawning enemies but if you are playing oddity like you should only give a limited amount of exp, if you aren't playing oddity they probably don't give enough experience to cheese the game like that anyway

they do drop loot, but you won't be able to sell it, merchants only buy certain items they need and get refreshed every hour i think (and they only buy items related to what they sell), so you can't carry 100 trash items and sell them (you can still get more money that you will ever use by playing without picking all the shit you find)
>>
>>378889894
enemies respawn but you cannot properly grind them
shops in this game only buy specific items and only buy a LIMITED set of those items, aside from things like ammo and health kits which are bought in unlimited numbers by weapon shops and doctors respectively, but generally speaking you're not going to actually want to sell them.

Xp is not earned in the traditional sense, it is found though "oddities" which are little collectibles. Some of them drop off enemies, others are placed all around the world (it is entirely possible to reach max level without collecting even a single combat related oddity). They also have a limit after which they stop giving xp, so after you collect 5 say rathound ears you can no longer use those to level up and farming rathounds is pointless.
That's mostly only relevant for the combat and generic collectibles, all the "unique" oddities will always give xp because their limit is how many there are ingame
>>
>>378890526
>>378890531
what's the max level? and if you're playing combat xp will killing respawn enemies give xp?

is it recommended i play oddity?
>>
>>378891053
on normal respawning enemies will give xp but by far the most fun way to play is oddity, the entire game is balanced around it and it's quite frankly one of the best features of the game as it actually properly rewards exploration and ensures you never feel like getting lost in the caves is a waste of time

max level is 25 and you'll easily reach this during the endgame regardless of playstyle
>>
>>378891494
alright, that sounds cool. i'll check out oddity
>>
>>378891837
I do have to mention oddities are present regardless of chosen xp option and do give out a (minor) amount of xp during the traditional mode and many of them double as more traditional easter eggs as well
>>
>>378889894
Theoretically? Yes, at least on classic. But that would be about the least fun way to hit the cap, which is not that high to begin with. Anyone simply doing quests should be able to get there by the end even on oddity.
>>
>>378892145
if you skip the major optional quest lines I could see someone not reach the end like say, not doing the occulus quests, not doing either the free drones or protectorate one, skipping the foundry, shooting your way through the institute etc.
but then again if you're going to do that, why are you playing this type of game in the first place?
>>
Thermodynamicity: Heat + Pyrokinetic Stream = dead Ancient Rathounds.
>>
I'm waiting for the expansion. J E T S K I S and S H O T G U N S life is gonna be great.
>>
>>378892327

even if you do all that, you will likely still get close to max for the endgame, and to be honest you don't even need to be max level to beat the game, from lvl 18 onwards should be more than enough
>>
>>378892658
I wonder if there's gonna be a psi jet ski.
>>
File: Dcmap.jpg (4MB, 6228x3794px) Image search: [Google]
Dcmap.jpg
4MB, 6228x3794px
>>378885165
>Is the Deep Caverns one of the most badly designed areas in video game history?

It's a well-designed area in just about every way. If you are struggling with it you are not paying attention to all the help it is giving you to guide you through the place. Because it gives you an awful lot of help.

>>378885347
It isn't big enough that it'd need a map. And even if this wasn't the case, the different zones making it up look visually distinct, so you should be able to make a mental map of the place. Or draw one, if that fails. DC is less confusing than the Lower Underrail tunnels.
>>
>>378892364
Meh, cyrogenic induction and implosion are a better two-hit kill combo.
>>
>>378885165
In my first blind playthrough I had a hard time, my build wasn't good, but with much effort, I made it to DC...and then had to quit. Yes, it frustrated me, but I loved the game. So I started again, since there were many things I wanted to try, It wasn't so hard to get into it. I made really good build and was able to finish DC.
And it was one of my best gaming xp ever. In a way, DC works like another game, a really hardcore game. The main game ends before you go down and I love the idea that many folks just go there, die, and thats it.
It's hard to explain, but I ended up loving the experience. Such a cool game.
>>
>>378892824
ty 4 the map
>>
>>378893175
You're welcome. So what's the issue? Which part of DC are you having problems with, and what kind of build are you playing?
>>
>>378893583
I was having trouble in the mushroom forest till I figured out that you needed to get high on shrooms to find the thing you needed.
>>
>>378888539
To be fair it's hard to avoid spoilers on a wiki, and some folks don't like that. It's easier to ask your question and get answers to it specifically.
>>
I stopped playing right in front of the last boss. I thought I explored everything in DC, but apparently I missed something and now I'm missing some components for the mutagen puzzle.
I'm planning on finishing at some point but the prospect of "running" (seriously, if you already know the area the walking speed is excrutiating) throught all the areas again made me stop.
>>
>>378893860
Yeah, that one can be hard to figure out on your own if you haven't met Leo and asked him about the forest. Well, anyway, good luck with the rest. And if you get stuck again or need help with something, just ask.
>>
>>378894183
you don't "have" to do the mutagen puzzle mate
it's entirely optional, if you have a strong build you should be fine
>>
>>378894183
The puzzle is optional though, have you tried simply fighting the final boss without solving it?
>>
>>378894441
>>378894313
I did try it without the puzzle and got absolutely crushed. I believe you when you say it's very possible to do it without the puzzle, I just assumed it was necessary because of how quickly I got beaten. I probably just played very poorly, I don't think my build is that bad. I'll try it again later today.
>>
>>378894790
could you post your build?

also there are builds that are literally capable of oneshotting the final boss
>>
>>378894790
If you are not the kind of build that can one-shot him, you have basically two options. If you can outdamage his regeneration reasonably well, try everything in your arsenal to tank the damage of the tentacles for a few turns in any way you can, and concentrate on the eye only. If you can't outdamage it, you'll have to blow up some or all of the mutagen tanks around the map to slow it down, or get completely rid of it if you destroy all 4. The worst idea for that fight is to get distracted by the tentacles. Ignore them. Fight tentacles only if you are too weak to one of them to finish the job otherwise.
>>
File: build.png (53KB, 1162x720px) Image search: [Google]
build.png
53KB, 1162x720px
>>378894902
>>378895486
Ignore the terrible cropwork. I took some pointers from /v/ on the initial allocation of stats, other than that I didn't look at any guides (which is why there are a few useless feats in there). I was fine until the boss, but like I said I only tried once because I was a little frustrated about the puzzle and might get it if I actually try to strategize.
I didn't include the skills, but I have every Psi ability I could find.
>>
>>378896084
>16 WILL psi

Anon, go back to it right now. You have one of the most powerful builds possible for that boss fight. You should be able to one-shot him. Worst case scenario is basically 3 turns. Anything longer and you should rethink your strategy.
>>
>>378896351
Whoops, you are Tranquility, my bad. Not one-shot then, just one-turn kill.
>>
>>378896716
Why go Psychosis?
>>
>>378896351
Yeah I figured it was my fault after the two of you said he's definitely beatable. I think I tried fighting the tentacles at first and got overwhelmed, I was pretty annoyed at the time I played so I might've not been thinking that clearly.
>>
just started this game, what do I need to know stat & skill-wise? Was thinking of making either a stealth or a Psi character, which is more fun and what do the starting stat spreads look like?
>>
>>378897145
Pure Psi is one of the strongest play styles in the game. Stealth is arguably a bit more fun but it's all up to you.
>>
File: 1452692166415.png (2MB, 937x6344px) Image search: [Google]
1452692166415.png
2MB, 937x6344px
>>
>>378897346
if I wanted to make a Deus Ex style Stealthy Hackerman, which weapons should I be focusing on?
>>
>>378897035
Stacking crit damage for ludicrous overkills is fun but most importantly psychos get couple of great feats. Psionic mania gives you guaranteed crit like aimed shot for psi and the expansion will add hemopsychosis, basically blood magic.
>>
>>378885165
>everyone on /v/ talks about this game
>want a new rpg
>hey maybe ill try this underrail thing, it's on sale after all
>ask /v/ about it
>find out there's no map function
>into the trash it goes

And that is the story of how I saved ten dollars.
>>
>>378897145
The basics of reasonable character building are pretty simple: decide how to kill, decide how to not get killed, and pick your stats and skills to support your decision.

While pure stealth is definitely doable, it is not recommended for new players. You should think about combining it with a combat skill. Now psi on the other hand is a very good choice, it will rarely if ever fail you as long as you max your WILL and your psi skills. Actually, you could do both, stealth psykers are not a bad way to build your character.

So really, pick a combat skill, whether weapon or magic, and max its governing stat. Then decide on defense, whether you want to be swift and/or stealthy and light armored, or want to be a tank with high constitution and heavy armor.

And since you have enough skill points to max at least 8 skills on every level up, decide what else you'd like to have. Preferably something that complements your playstyle and main stats of choice, but you can do some experimenting here.

But really, the only thing a beginner needs to know is to not make a jack of all trades. The rest pretty much comes down to common sense. You might not make something perfectly min-maxed on your first run, but the game doesn't expect you to either.
>>
>>378897836
Huh, gonna have to try a psychosis Psi character sometime.
>Blood magic
Holy shit, really? Wooooh! I'm psyched!
>>
>>378897836
This is the first I'm hearing about hemopsychosis. Sounds cool, any word on how it'll function yet?
>>
>>378898074
>Holy shit, really?
Kind of. It's a single feat that gives a neat ability. Almost LoC tier if you ask me. Should be really fun to build around.
>>
>>378898327
>LoC tier
So possibly one of the best psi feats in the game? Cool.
>>
Anyone psyched for veteran feats? The decreased health in enhanced psi empathy kinda scares me but it sounds worth it.
>>
File: Hemopsychosis_icon.png (1KB, 33x33px) Image search: [Google]
Hemopsychosis_icon.png
1KB, 33x33px
>>378898264
It was one of the feats that got its name and icon stealthily uploaded on the wiki with some other veteran feats. It's not very hard to figure out what it does from the name itself.
>>
Do you think there will be more roleplaying options in the expansion? I want to mindfuck people till they're either obediant mind slaves or vegetables.
>>
>>378889651
Even if he didn't, I would still suggest giving it a try. Underrail was my gateway into the isometric CRPG genre because I had a hard time getting into the classic Fallouts, Shadowrun and Baldurs Gate, etc. The user interfaces, movement and compatibility felt pretty 'aged' in previous games, which put me off a great deal, but Underrail showed me how fun an isometric game can be. The Metro 2033-esque atmosphere helped a lot too.
>>
>>378899209
Styg said the veteran system got reworked since it was revealed in that dev log, so we don't have much of an idea how it is in its current form. So personally I stopped speculationg on it, not much point until we get more info on what changed and how.
>>
>>378899510
Knife wielding assassin? What are your stats and skills?
>>
>>378888539
The dev is making seem the expac will be as big as the base game
>>
>>378899838
Nah, not that big. The original plan was somewhat over than 100 maps, but that in itself isn't really indicative of length. DC for example has over 60 maps and that area can be fully cleared in about 5 or so hours.

But if I remember correctly in the Polish interview he said something along the lines of the expansion now being about half as long as the base game.
>>
>>378885165
>crpg game
>static maps

reee
>>
File: 1471645838024.jpg (57KB, 533x710px) Image search: [Google]
1471645838024.jpg
57KB, 533x710px
Are psi trainers still randomized in terms of psi they give?
>>
Anyone else love the crafting system in this game? There's so many different combinations you can create and you can effectively render yourself immune to gunfire or create a shield strong enough to take three times your health pool.
>>
>>378888650
>The wiki is pretty barren tho.

It has quest info, maps, explanations of game mechanics, what else do you really need? That wiki is in much better shape than almost any wiki about a single game that has a small audience.
>>
>>378900345
fuck you pillarstard
>>
>>378899757
Built this character based on some russian dude's video guide on youtube. Unfortunately, I can't show the precise stats of my skills and which perks/traits I picked, since I never took a screenshot of them and this character was over half year ago. Mainly focused on Melee Weapons, Stealth and Traps, with most other skill points going to weapon/armor crafting, lockpicking and hacking. I think I also put some 20-ish points into throwing for grenades.
>>
>>378900413
What do you mean? Every psi mentor has at least one fixed location, some has several. There are some places that give you a random mentor, but that's just an extra opportunity to pick it up, the hand-placed one is still out there. This is how it's always been.
>>
>>378900543
Ah, Nerd Commando, dude's got a lot of UnderRail build videos. I got most of my psi build from him. Pretty great guy.
>>
story was really dull and uninteresting which is kind of a dealbreaker for me when it comes to rpgs.
>>
>>378900415
I fell in love with it when I picked up a fishing rod and then noticed I could turn all the fishes into different medical components. That was the moment when it really hit me just how extensive this crafting system is.
>>
File: 1471309544220.png (59KB, 154x153px) Image search: [Google]
1471309544220.png
59KB, 154x153px
>>378901227
>trying to fish with low dex
>>
>>378901168
It's more about the world than the story. There's a lot of weird shit like Silent Isle, Tchort, Six, and Old Junkyard's mayor.
>>
>yfw finding Oculus for the first time
>>
>>378901168
I have a feeling you just haven't managed to piece it together, the best thing about Underrail's story is that the game doesn't show it in your face. You have to pay close attention to understand what is truly going on, although a recent patch made it slightly less ambiguous by straight up confirming some things that previously were only strongly or less strongly implied.
>>
>>378901513
>>378901361
world didn't interest me either. and the whole 'story is told through subtext woah so cool' shtick stopped interesting me years ago.
>>
>>378901513
What was changed?
>>
>>378901609
Most of it is not told through subtext, you just have to ask the right questions from the right persons.

But hey, if it didn't interest you then that's that. Different strokes etc.
>>
>>378901609
The writing isn't refined enough to convey anything through subtext. Shit's just hidden in a way that 9/10 players will miss it.
>>
>>378901738
Plenty, but the most noteworthy ones in increasing relevance are one final conversation with Old Jonas, a few more things you can ask from the Faceless Commander with some expanded explanations, and one final conversation with Azif that is basically the most important key to understanding the story.
>>
How do you feel about Protectorate?
>>
>>378902521
Underrail rightful Old Biocorp clay, pretenders can fuck off.
>>
>>378902176
>Azif
Never met him before. Can you tell me what he says?
>>
>>378902521
Bunch of hard-ass jackasses. If I could I'd murder every last one of them.
>>
>>378903052
I could, but if you haven't met him you wouldn't really understand it anyway.

Replay the game and this time work for Abram.
>>
>>378903179
Can I do work for him after I'm done with the caverns? I have the quest to meet up with him in core city but I never got around to it.
>>
>>378903340
Yeah, sure, there's no schedule on that questline. Some small things change, but nothing really important.

And don't disappoint him. Excellence is paramount.
>>
>>378903545
I am excellence.
>>
>>378903673
Well then, you are golden.
>>
Finally managed to nab everything I need to enter the final chamber. Time for everything to end.
>>
>>378904746
Good luck, you can do it. Well, probably.
>>
>>378904820
If the final boss isn't immune to fire, energy, psi, or frost, I'm good.
>>
>>378905148
Well, you'll find out for yourself soon enough.
>>
>>378906216
I got him down to 50 before his tentacles snapped out of my enrage and turned to kill me. I got this in the bag.
>>
>>378907279
>enraging the tentacles

It's fun to watch them tear each other apart. Too bad the best one can hope for from it is keeping them occupied. Would be hilarious if they could actually deal damage worth shit to their own.
>>
>>378907895
Yeah, they're good distractions though. A lucky crit got the bastard down enough for me to take him. Am I effectively a god in human form now?
>>
>>378908516
Something like that, congratulations. Now if you want to try something fun, load up that combat save, and cast
>Proxy
>Implosion
>Premediated Mental Breakdown
>Neural Overload

Continue with NO until he dies. Shoot adrenaline if it's going slow.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.