[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That animation in that trailer got me thinking that Sega of Japan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: sonicmania.jpg (112KB, 1683x942px)
sonicmania.jpg
112KB, 1683x942px
That animation in that trailer got me thinking that Sega of Japan has got Sonic's appeal all wrong on an objective level.

I don't mean that as a general "lol SoJ just doesn't fuckin' get it" criticism (although it's true), but as an observation of what they think is important about Sonic as a character.

Since it's nigh impossible to avoid the comparison, look at Mario. His design is timeless, and the only times when you could say they might have missed that mark is when they deliberately went out of their way to portray Mario in a manner that conveyed a more focused emotional theme. Like with the Super Mario Strikers art style. Could you imagine if Nintendo took that fierce style and made it franchise wide? They'd be doing another redesign before the year was out.

Mario's normal aesthetic is just "cute" though. Cute never changes. You can convey different emotions with cute too. Cute can be tough. Cute can be cool. Cute can be sad. Cute can be a lot of things.

Which brings us to this trailer. It's cute! Cute!! But Sonic is still cool. And we're all in love with that trailer. Even people that don't really care about Sonic think the trailer was cool. I can't help but feel that this is the way the brand should be going forward. Not that I hate Modern Sonic (I like the way he looks right now quite a bit), but it's not really...timeless.
>>
Tails = Easy mode
Knuckles = Medium mode
Sonic = Hard mode
>>
>>378877749
That Tails looks kind of dopey. And his fur looks kinda toyetic compared to how he actually looked in the old games.
That animation did look wonderful though, this will be the best Sonic game in a long time.
>>
The people behind Sonic Mania know their shit. The main cancer of the Sonic franchise is Iizuka, he just won't go away. Taxman and Stealth will lead us to prosperity.
>>
Truth be told, we'd all love modern Sonic' s look if his games were amazing.

The problem is that his modern look has been associated with a mediocre era in the franchise.
>>
>>378878936
Just speak for yourself anon, you don't represent anyone else.
>>
>>378878936
I don't like the proportions, feet and hands are too big
I actually like the look of sonic boom as a modern take
>>
>>378877749
Modern Sonic isn't as simple but his silhouette is far more distinct. Despite the unreasonable love for the spiky-spined Sonic shown in the pic from fans, the longer curved spines are far more memorable and distinct.
>>378878752
>Tails looks dopey
As he should. He's still a young, innocent boy in this. His future hasn't been tainted. Yet.
>>
>>378878936
Modern Sonic's proportions are totally fucked. Around the Heroes era was his best design and the proportion problems weren't so prominent.
>>
>>378879804
If we look at the Unleashed model, it's basically perfect. Heroes' models were almost all hot garbage in every way.
>>
>>378877749
Modern Sonic has undergone revisions since Unleashed to make him more cute, but he still feels like a 90's relic. In fact I feel like Smith's entire voice portrayal is based off him becoming seemingly self aware of how he's an out of date 2cool4school type. The classic design really would have worked today.
>>378879616
>the longer curved spines are far more memorable and distinct.
These words ring hollow for me. Nothing about the classic design from the height of Sonic's popularity implies he doesn't have a more distinct and immediately recognizable silhouette. Not sure what you meant by this, friend.
>>
i like Sonic when he's very small, like a few feet tall. He's too big in most games.
>>
>>378880551
They aren't that much different but Modern's increase in size allows him to make more distinct poses without losing the ability to tell what it is.
>>
how come sonics terrible friends are always around but the chaotix arent. Best animals
>>
>>378877749
The problem with that is that Sonic always marketed itself as the cool alternative.

Sega's always tried to keep him trendy to keep that image. Cute and timeless doesn't fit the branding, even if it'd be a healthier direction for the series.
>>
i wouldn't be surprised if taxman/whitehead and classicfanboys came out as white-hating sjws
>>
>>378883125
You really need to get over this obsession with SJWs.
>>
>>378877749
This fucking triggers me. Fuck you piece of shit. Classic Sonic fucking sucks it fucking SUCKS. People who want the franchise to move in this direction are fucking idiots who want to ruin the fun for the people who the Modern Sonic games were made for. I hope you rot in hell faggot. This post personally offends me.
>>
>>378877749
This Tyson Hesse cocksucking needs to stop. Considering he shilled and defended Skullgirls on /v/ back in the day, these threads might be him or his friends.
>>
>>378880596
Sonic's 1m tall whether in his Classic or Modern form unless both are in the same room. He looks big because of his proportions rather than size.
>>
>>378883125
wtf i love sonic adventure now
>>
File: 1462066963296.jpg (28KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
1462066963296.jpg
28KB, 600x549px
>more people were interested in watching the sonic forces OC trailer than this
>>
>>378884642
Well, yeah. I mean, what did you expect?

I've been saying it all along. The normalfags and autists will naturally be more interested in Forces than Mania. Did you guys really expect a retro-style nostalgia game to attract more attention than the AAA autism-magnet with the pretty graphics and character creator? Do you guys not know what the lowest common denominator is?
>>
>>378879804
Sakurai agrees given all the Heroes wanking in Smash.
>reveal for Sonic in used Sonic Heroes
>his render and design is pretty much Sonic Heroes
>>
File: awesome and cool as fuck.jpg (11KB, 467x35px) Image search: [Google]
awesome and cool as fuck.jpg
11KB, 467x35px
>>378883393
I see you're back to embarrass the rest of your Adventurecuck kind
>>
>>378883482
rules of 4chan:
we hate reddit, everything sucks no exceptions, that which i like, you must hate, everyone must be miserable virgins forever, shitposting makes you popular, Autism is the national language. Wifu's are the closet you will ever get to a female. Everything is faggotry, And lastly, all opinions above can and must change in the blink of an eye.
>>
why do you keep having to look a gift horse in the mouth
>>
File: sonic_shrug.jpg (15KB, 290x218px) Image search: [Google]
sonic_shrug.jpg
15KB, 290x218px
I'll just keep playing Sonic World.
>>
>>378886670
Good. Stay there. It's where you cucks belong.
>>
>>378886670
>those arms

Christ that's unsettling
>>
File: 1404852999714.png (77KB, 400x369px) Image search: [Google]
1404852999714.png
77KB, 400x369px
>>378877749
Hey, I saw this exact post on the Sonic Retro forums a day ago, word to word the same.
>>
>>378877749
Well, of course. Sega has always been an absolute trainwreck of a company. They have great ideas, but they completely suck at managing them and their IPs. Just take a look at what they did with Sonic in Adventure 1, they turned him into an absolute retard. This Sonic incarnation is great because it's the original character, and they used that version because the people making the game are people that actually know what they're doing.
>>
>>378878936
That's retarded and so are you.
>>
>>378879804
His proportions from Unleashed and onwards have been perfect.
The chunky legged Runners one is good too.
>>
>>378883482
>hating on Skullgirls
Leave, faggot.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.