[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oblivion >Begin by reading one of the wanted posters that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: 1470202826544.jpg (32KB, 446x340px) Image search: [Google]
1470202826544.jpg
32KB, 446x340px
Oblivion
>Begin by reading one of the wanted posters that are littered everywhere around the Imperial City. Next, find a beggar and raise their disposition until they really like you. Talk to them about Gray Fox and they'll tell ask you if you want to join the Thieves Guild. Tell them you do and they'll tell you to go to the Garden of Dareloth in the Waterfront District and mark the point on the map for you. Show up at midnight and you'll find a gathering of nefarious fellows behind a house in a stoned in garden of sorts. Talk to Armand Christophe about joining once he arrives.

Skyrim
>travel to Riften and come into contact with Brynjolf, who can be found at the market stalls or the Bee and Barb tavern during the day. Brynjolf will approach you and question your wealth, before inviting you to help him with a little plot. This begins the first quest, A Chance Arrangement, in which you must steal a ring and plant it on another person.
>>
Morrowind
>Meet Jiub
>Fill out some forms
>Go meet some shirtless junkie
>>
Oblivion blows Skyrim out of the water as far as quests. It's not even close.

The Dark Brotherhood is night and day difference. The Oblivion one has the 'accident' mechanics, has a really compelling story line, lots of mystery, and a neat ending. Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim could have been any other faction and nothing would really change.
>>
>Early on, we posed a question to Rolston about how he feels about the implementation of fast-travel, a sometimes controversial feature among game designers. Rolston told us he and another member of the Oblivion team were passionate that it not be included to preserve a sense of immersion, but then-producer Todd Howard was able to direct the programming team to build a prototype of the system to demonstrate its effectiveness, and the rest was history.
>>
Oblivion is garbage too.Stop pretending otherwise. You only like it because it was your first semi-RPG as little babby boys.
>>
>>378859350
/r/ the detailed explanation written in the Oblivion books why Oblivion is shit
>>
Oblivion
>butthurt because muh favourite game isn't relevant anymore

Skyrim
>mods out the arse, fun and fresh
>>
>>378859583
Dark Brotherhood questline is too good for Oblivion
>>
>>378859673
Oblivion has the best guild quests be far, regardless of what order you played the games.
>>
>Oblivion
Prerequisites everywhere
>Skyrim
Quests forced on you, literal quest rape can't even say no.

No need to say which is the better game
>>
>>378859638
I don't get the hate against fast travel.
In before
>b-but if fast travel is included, all environments will become copy-pasted because I think so

Fast travel simply skips the huge time cost of manual walking through cleared areas.
The only problems with fast travel are ones caused by Beth being bad at the job (teleportation, allowing fast travel in combat) and in TES being bad at limiting travel by not having any limits like food.
Anything achievable by holding 'W' for 3 hours should be achievable automatically.
>>
The sheer stupidity of Brynjolf's introduction, it's incredible that it made it into the game.
>>
>>378860164
playing without it is much more fun though. Just explore a fair bit of the area you're in, then plan a trip knowing about every quest location you have to pass through, then plan your way back to where you need to go to get the rewards. I would suggest getting shadowmere or some obnoxious speed spell though cause it really is a pain in the ass at times since some quests have you go back and forth the entire country for every single section.
>>
>>378860164
Fast travel is best I think using stuff like flight paths, like the big traveling bugs in Morrowind. So you can jump huge swathes of land but can't just immediately teleport to every point in the map at will
>>
>>378860164
Fast travel can be good if it's implemented into the game world properly. Morrowind's various systems were really interesting and you had to think about how exactly you were gonna make your trip to wherever. I had a shitload of fun using the propylon network combined with the mages guild network and intervention spells to get around. Oblivion and Skyrim are just lazy in that respect.
>>
File: 1492616785297s.jpg (3KB, 121x125px) Image search: [Google]
1492616785297s.jpg
3KB, 121x125px
NEVER DONE AN HONEST DAYS WORK FOR ALL THAT COIN YOURE CARRYIN EH LAD
Suck my ass, why doesn't this prick get the tenth of the loathing Nazeem does. I'm wearing plate armor and carrying a battle-axe. Fuck off.
>>
>>378860164
>allowing fast travel in combat

But you can't fast travel while in combat.
>>
>>378861137
>NEVER DONE AN HONEST DAYS WORK FOR ALL THAT COIN YOURE CARRYIN EH LAD
> Grabs him by the throat
> back the fuck off!?
>>
>>378861137
And who paid for the plate armor and battle-axe you're carrying? Oh, that's right. A legion of corpses you left in your wake.
>>
I always just went to prison and served my sentence to get invited to the thieves guild
>>
File: 1472432363302.jpg (379KB, 1484x1484px) Image search: [Google]
1472432363302.jpg
379KB, 1484x1484px
>>378859638
dreamboys btfo
immersion is for losers who role play in games
>>
>>378861137
Yeah well but did you earn it honestly or by desecrating graves, defiling corpses and stealing from actual honest craftsmen?
>>
Quest markers objectively made ES games worse by allowing lazy game and quest design. This is not up for debate.
>>
>>378861610
>I didn't bought my equipment through hard work of selling firewood and meat from hunting
>>
>>378859868
>literal quest rape can't even say no

Have you even played the game? You do know you can tell Brynjolf to fuck off, right? You can also tell the DB bitch to fuck off, you don't have to join the companions, you don't have to join the bard's college, you don't have to join the mage's guild, and so on. Almost every quest in the game has a "No" option.
>>
>>378862003
You're full of shit, anon. Your coin purse stinks of blood-money.
>>
>>378859673
/thread
>>
File: ay.jpg (158KB, 1098x736px) Image search: [Google]
ay.jpg
158KB, 1098x736px
>>378861997
I dunno.
>>
>>378862104
Only in self defense.
>>
>>378862310
Oh I'm sure there was plenty of self-defense going on in all those tombs you plundered and bandit camps raided.
>>
>>378862227
So now instead of improving their quest design placing the item in a non-retarded spot they just use a marker.
Markers are allowing lazy quest design.
>>
File: autism-chan.png (985KB, 587x870px) Image search: [Google]
autism-chan.png
985KB, 587x870px
>>378862008
You're right, you can turn everyone down, but it still leaves an unsolved entry in the Questlog which is probably the worst thing you can do to the average OCD autists on /v/.
>>
who else absolutely loves the menus in oblivion? Every thing about the UI is really comfy.
>>
>>378862454
>Pay up or die
>Kill them
>"Goddamn murderer!"
>>
File: 1495485804977.png (494KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1495485804977.png
494KB, 557x605px
>>378862762
this
>>
>>378863202
It has a srcoll-like texture. I like it a lot as well.
>>
>>378862227
I don't remember having trouble with this playing it in 2002 when I was 12
Then again I autistic and picked up every item I could in dungeons
>>
>>378859782
That DB mansion quest worth more than whole Skyrim together
>>
>>378863702
I had, because I never even assumed that a specific quest related item can be not in the final room.
>>
>>378863702
im usually autistic when i play bethesda games but i somehow missed the damn zone where the cube is. This seems to be common so I guess it's just weirdly designed. I was certain that I had explored every corner.
>>
>>378863840
>some shitty Clue reference
>omg best quest evar xDDD
Literally Family Guy tier pop culture references
>>
>>378864072
People who hate whodunnits can cut their balls off.
>>
>>378859826
Come on now. Lets not act like anything other than the Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood were anything special. The only thing I remember about the Fighter's Guild was going around killing animals. The Mage's Guild was completely forgettable as well, other than being able to craft spells and stuff.
>>
>>378864381
The bit of the Fighter's Guild I remember most was towards the end where I joined the rival guild and massacred a village while high on Hist Sap
>>
>>378864072
>quest that has like as many outcomes as there are characters
>final confrontation variation is (amount of characters)!
>is a bad quest because it was inspired by something
>>
>>378864072
>>some shitty Clue reference

It's called And Then There Were None, original title Ten Little Niggers. Clue is referencing the same thing.
>>
>I don't remember having trouble with this part of the game

It's called nostalgia, retards
>>
File: rdgjru.jpg (53KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
rdgjru.jpg
53KB, 320x240px
>>378864725
>original title Ten Little Niggers
>>
>>378862008
Reminds me of that chick who loathes bears and asks you to kill some of them and show her the pelts as a confirmation. She got killed by a bear that appeared out of nowhere immediately after handing me that quest. Not sure if the possibility of that happening was intentional, but I sure had a good chuckle.
>>
>>378864381

Mage Guild was forgettable, but so was the Skyrim one. Thats the one aspect guild Skyrim might have Oblivion beat.
The Fighters Guild in Oblivion wasn't incredible either, but it was decent enough, where as the Skyrim one was not. The Skyrim one turned into a werewolf guild 20% of the way in, ruining both the Werewolf mechanics (its just some power you can use whenever for damage buffs, retarded) and the guild itself (now it's all about killing werewolf hunters instead of doing fighters guild shit, hell you don't even use your weapons much if you werewolf as much as they want you to)
>>
>>378862008
>tell Brynjolf to fuck off and that I won't break the law ever and he can go fuck himself
>Quest Accepted: The Thieves Guild
>Talk to Brynjolf to complete his task
>>
And yet there is no questline to join Lex in ousting the gray fox.
>>
>>378865506
>Wanting to miss out on getting the Grey Cowl
You are a massive faggot
>>
>>378865506
Did you just choose to ignore the part where the grey fox isn't an actual person?
>>
File: 1481134359672.png (228KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481134359672.png
228KB, 640x480px
>>378862762
>item will now always be at the end of a dungeon either in a chest or on a named enemy
>anything remotely unique will be given a quest to find it, said item will turn out to be at the end of a dungeon in a chest or on a named enemy
>>
>>378865658
>not a person
>is a person
>the player, a person, becomes the gray fox
>>
>>378864064
What I found was that it was easy to miss when playing with relatively low gamma, since the dungeon is a bit dark and the ramp leading up to the cube blends in.
>>
>>378860164
it should only be allowed from city to city with a charrot, also the amount of content you lose with fast travel... geez
fast travel= ARPG
no fast travel= true RPG
>>
>>378859350
I truly wish they remade both oblivion and morrowind with skyrim's engine, those games are way better than Skyrim
>>
>>378866165
They should make fast traveling like in older RPGs, like Realms of Arkania, or even Fallout, with overhead map and need to sleep, random encounters, ability to choose which path you want to take...
>>
>>378866165
Why though?
I hear all those
>it should this it should that
but never any reasonable excuse for adding a ton of tedium.

The end result is that games with no fast travel require you to hold W for few hours or wait while your dudes path to target, like in Icewind Dale, like in Crusader of Might and Magic (ancient game no one played, but a perfect example of why fast travel is mandatory), like in some areas of Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and so on.
All the extra "immersion" gained from it is lost on all the tedious waiting while your guy/guys walk around, doing nothing worth remembering.

Fast travel limited to mostly cleared areas or taking extra time in non-cleared areas (say, draw teleport runes or something) would be fine.
>>
>>378866296
I don't think you should be here.
>>378867472
Morrowind had good fast travel.
>>
>>378867910
>I don't think you should be here.
what
>>
>>378867910
Never should have come here!
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.