[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good "hidden gem" rogue-lites? As in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: 1485376787898-Issac.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1485376787898-Issac.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
Are there any good "hidden gem" rogue-lites? As in the games that let me unlock and carry over some of the progress after dying on multiple playthroughs?
I've got a craving for this kind of game, but none of the mainstream ones appeal to me enough.
>>
>>378845639
The ultimate choice that's brand new and describes what your asking for perfectly is "has-been heroes"
>>
>>378845639
As silly as this sounds you should take a look at totalasscancer's channel. Half of his content is roguelite reviews
>>
>>378845639
Dead Cells
>>
>>378846845
I had in mind something a bit more action oriented.
>>378847050
I looked at it, and while it seems somewhat promising, it's still in very early stages of development.
Maybe if it gets enough content by the time it's finished, I'll buy it, but not right now.
>>
File: 1238357432878.png (272KB, 408x469px) Image search: [Google]
1238357432878.png
272KB, 408x469px
>>378845639
There's a modest indie game by the name of binding of isaac, maybe you've heard of it?
>>
So what's the lore behind the monsters in the basement? Is Issac really possessed or something?
>>
>>378849782
Well... there are several layers, and then interpretations of the story.
>>
>>378848462
BoI is pretty mediocre at best.
>>
My favorite ones are Ziggurat, Tower of Guns, and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

I've heard good things about Immortal Redneck and Everspace too.
>>
>>378845639
Nuclear throne is great, you can unlock characters and skins, but that's about it I guess.
>>
Last DLC was shit
>>
>>378853643
Even Afterbirth itself was crap, Afterbirth+ was just an embarassment, especially since it came out a few days after a fan-made mod that completely blew it out the fucking water.
>>
>>378845639
Enter the Gungeon is lacking in characters but there's still plenty of unlockables and progression in it.
>>
>>378845639
Dead Cells
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Dungeons of Dredmor

You also have Enter the Gungeon or Nuclear Throne, but I personally didn't like them
>>
Teleglitch
Dungeon of the Endless
Towerclimb
>>
File: 2o2CD.png (348KB, 800x374px) Image search: [Google]
2o2CD.png
348KB, 800x374px
I dont care that it's mainstream. I'm gonna recommend it on the off chance it slipped through your radar, OP.

FTL is fun as fuck.
>>
>>378853643
>>378853740
People just had unrealistic expectations and new Rebirth.

As shitty as some of the new enemies are, it brought bunch of quality of life changes, synergies and fun items.

Going back to vanila Rebirth is painful for me now.
>>
>>378854235
>People just had unrealistic expectations
No, they promised a new floor for Afterbirth and we got a single boss fight in a recolored womb (The Hush); they acted like they were amending this when they promised for a new CHAPTER in Afterbirth+, but it was just a shitty rehash of all previous chapters with no new content whatsoever as a chapter itself (The Void). This is just one example of many for how they mislead on what would be in their DLC; on top of this, you have to keep in mind that past expansions they sold for the game were actually fantastic, with a large amount of content added (the free Halloween update, Wrath of the Lamb, the jump from WotL to Rebirth), which made the Afterbirth and AB+ expansions even more lazy by comparison. There are a few QoL changes brought in the AB/AB+ expansions, sure, but in past versions of BoI those would've been released as mere patches rather than be tied to a paid version. Also, did I mention that AB+ alone costs as much as the base game? As I feel this is commonly overlooked.
>>
File: 1486875255275.png (59KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
1486875255275.png
59KB, 700x500px
>>378854061

Like this dude here, I don't give a fuck that it's well known, Risk of Rain is the fucking tits and I will not go a Roguelite thread without seeing it.
>>
>>378854061
Yeah, FTL is amazing and not really as hard as people make it.
>>
Renowned Explorers: International Society
>>
>>378854798
>I didn't work my way up to more powerful/advantageous ships and loadouts and tried hard with the beginning Kestral, why is this game so RNG?!
Pretty much FTL's criticizers.
>>
>>378854061
No.

It's all luck. You need to gather resources to then buy resources. Oh you finally saved up enough scrap to buy a upgraded laser gun? Now go buy the power upgrade which you will never find. Oh you keep getting drone drops? To bad you can never find the upgrade to let you use drones. Oh you got enough scrap to buy upgrades? Surprise you got heavily attacked and have to use that scrap to repair or buy more warp drives.

Way to much randomness and variables and you constantly need resources to get more resources.
>>
>>378855529
It's not all luck. It's about experience and risk management. Like almost any other roguelite.
>>
>>378855529
To add on to this when you do get upgrades you then need to upgrade your ship to hold more power to use said upgrade. That alone is impossible to find unless you get lucky. You might be able to relocate said power to use the weapon but then you have to shut down the med bay and any other upgrades will be useless cause you don't got power to run it. And the random events that let you go in or not, most of the time end in failure or the rewards wasn't worth any of it. You are constantly having to buy warp drives, repairs and missiles on top of trying to get enough money to buy upgrades to keep up with the rising difficulty.

Whats worse is you can't grind, you got a limit on how much time you stay in a galaxy.
>>
I started risk of rain for the first time and it's great. Finished monsoon after a few days tho so now I don't have much incentive to play.
>>
File: 1366864542894.png (36KB, 156x169px) Image search: [Google]
1366864542894.png
36KB, 156x169px
>>378855529
There you are. Took you longer than I thought it would.
If you're having trouble finding scrap, or drone parts, or missiles, or fuel, you are bad at the game.
If you need to do anything more than a top-off on health before the final confrontation, you are bad at the game.
If you're having trouble finding stores and not finding what you need in then you are bad at navigating the galaxies and probably not navigating each one until the last possible second.
Randomness is minimal as fuck. Combat is not random, at all, period. 90% of the RNG comes from events that ask you if you want to participate. A solid 90% have a no strings attached option to walk away and take no risks. Sometimes RNG like the Engi virus will happen and you have no chance to opt out of it. But it's 1 or 2 a playthrough, maybe.

FTL is a good game.

You suck at it.
>>
>>378856054
I can say "If you can't find X, or do Y in said game you are just shit at it" also for any other shitty game. Doesn't make it good all of a sudden.

If you like playing this game, good for you some people like playing with dog turds or games that are nearly impossible to win at to brag about. But with your wording and that smug reaction pic you aren't here for a discussion but to try and piss me off defending something you like.

Also randomness at minimal for a rouge lite that has the game play changes every time. Really makes me think.
>>
>>378856617
>I can say "If you can't find X, or do Y in said game you are just shit at it" also for any other shitty game. Doesn't make it good all of a sudden.
If you play the game with an ounce of thought put into it you shouldn't run out of anything until the final battle, this is just a fact. You're complaining that a game about resource management has resource management, so I can't say I have a lot of confidence in your brain power.

True RNGesus takes the wheel versus a random element. Game randomizes what type of fighters you run into, what systems they have, what weapons they have, etc. This doesn't make combat "random", it still comes down to your ability to play the game every single time and you're not dumb but actually retarded if you honestly think randomizing the map is the same thing as RNG.
>>
>>378857129
I don't run out of anything until the last fight, just that I constantly have to use scrap to buy repairs or warp drives which prevents me from buying any other upgrade. When I do buy an upgrade its nearly impossible to find a power upgrade to run it.
>>
>>378845639
our darker purpose
>>
File: 1425163909346.png (248KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
1425163909346.png
248KB, 500x495px
>>378857636
>I can't figure out how to upgrade my ship in this fucking game, let me tell you about how bad it is because I clearly understand it so well.

I'm cutting you off anon, this is your last (you)
>>
>>378845639
Rogue Legacy
>>
>>378845639
TOME is a good one.As you go through the game and sidequests you can unlock different classes/races, some of which have class related quests which you use to unlock other classes/races.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.