[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joz VfR-XavQ That's why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 13

File: FotodeMary.png (83KB, 304x243px) Image search: [Google]
FotodeMary.png
83KB, 304x243px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozVfR-XavQ
That's why I want you to live
for yourself now.
Do what's best for you, James.
James...
You made me happy.
>>
>>378845392
Mary's was the only good VA in that game.
>>
>>378845464
You shut your whore mouth
>>
>>378845464
James and Angela's VAs give pretty good performances, it's just not conventional video game voice acting
>>
>>378845616
It can barely be called voice acting at all. You could say its awfulness added to the surreal atmosphere of the game, but it definitely wasn't good performance.
>>
>>378845464
Everyone except Mary is God awful.
>>
>>378845705
or you know those performances were directed that way to achieve a surreal atmosphere and suggest the characters are depressed and suicidal but no James definitely should have been voiced by some gruff anime meme actor
>>
Got the "water" ending.

It was fucking kino.
>>
>>378845843
You can direct a person with no voice acting experience, but that won't make their performance any better.
>>
>>378845885
Water ending was originally going to be the canon ending, but I still prefer Leave
>>
>>378845885
>>378846047
Rebirth >> other endings.
>>
>>378846010
and they picked people with no VA experience for a reason, any seasoned voice actor would just do the same tired archetypes. For example Troy Baker as James in the HD dub
>>
>>378845843
>>378846151
Konami was lazy, you were too young to notice it was bad, and now you bend over backwards defending every little thing.
>>
>>378846342
Not him, but I played aSH2 for the first time a year and a half ago and the VAs fit perfectly.

Also, it has been confirmed time and time again that picking inexperienced VAs was an intentional decision by Team Silent.
>>
>>378846480
Konami's dead, anon, you can stop jerking them off.
>>
>>378846342
not him, but you're really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for arguments now.

Played the game 30+ times already, and the VA job is fine. It sounds like actual IRL people with various issues talking, not actors ACTING their lines out. There's a huge difference between the two, and "pro" actors always articulate in very specific, taught manner. Like so many other things in cinematography, it becomes almost irritating when you realize it.

Finally, I'd remind that Team Silent were pretty much like a rogue team under Konami's wing. The big shots didn't like the group nor the game at any point.
>>
>>378846047
>Water ending was originally going to be the canon ending

But it is the canon ending.
>>
>>378846851
This.

The dialogue in SH2 sounds natural. When some try hard VAs come in with no respect for the material and try to ape Hollywood style acting, it loses it's impact.
>>
>>378846851
>It sounds like actual IRL people with various issues talking, not actors ACTING their lines out.
But it doesn't. It can never be like that by definition. Actors act. They're actors not the characters on the screen. And when people with no experience or talent try to act, it's just bad acting. There's no any deeper hidden meaning.
>>
>>378847259
so you're saying no matter what devs do, it's impossible to replicate the casual, non-instructed or observed chatter and discussion of normal people in fictional media?

yeah nah, I don't buy that. I can somewhat understand people making fun of SH1's long pauses and stuff, but SH2 is so spot on uncanny, that it simply cannot be a coincidence. Even more so knowing TS' workaholic attention-maniaism, and how hard they worked the VA team (who also did the mocap AND provided the characters their facial features).
>>
>>378847259
Define "good acting".

SH2 is a game about mentally ill people where the only sane character is a little girl. Given the context, it makes sense that the voices sound unremarkable. These are regular people and not romantic action heroes.
>>
>>378845392
Mary is cute!
>>
>>378847049
There are multiple endings, none of them are canon, hence why there are multiple endings
>>
>>378847439
Good acting is also simple. The less the actor sounds like themselves, enacting a role, and more like the fictional character they're lending their voice to the better is acting. Basically the more believable it is.
Sure, in case of SH you can say it doesn't sound as bad as it otherwise would, because the game's atmosphere allows for such uncanny voice acting.
But it's not because of the VAs performance, it's despite it. The game most definitely could have been improved by proper, better voice acting. And I don't mean the HD collection.
>>
>>378847259

You don't know what you're saying dude
>>
>>378848250
>The less the actor sounds like themselves, enacting a role, and more like the fictional character they're lending their voice to the better is acting. Basically the more believable it is.
>the sillier the voice the better the acting

kek
>>
>>378846851
You have lost all objectivity about this topic.
Nothing I could say would ever get through to you, because in your 30-40 playthroughs you've had time to rationalize away every flaw the game has.
I swear you people mythologize Team Silent to the point of a religious experience.
>>
>>378845392
Worst ending credits the game.
>>
File: 1450465645087.png (32KB, 217x278px) Image search: [Google]
1450465645087.png
32KB, 217x278px
>>378847049
>>378846047
My friend sperged about Silent Hill all through high school and I never bothered to play them. Then I got into 1 and I decided to play 2 and 3. I knew going in the ending would be affected by looking at the knife and picture so I avoided looking at them altogether.

Got the water ending in SH2. Really rustled my jimmies getting that shitty ending. James isn't a good person, but suicide is such a lame way to atone for his own guilt. You could argue James' behavior at the start of the game with the dead body in the car meant he always intended to kill himself, but I believe the young girl was introduced as more than just a way to belittle James but to offer him a path of redemption if he struggles through his ordeal.

Also I played Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD PS3. I tried out the new dub but lip synching was poor in 2, so I stuck to the old ones. They're charming in a dated "look at the 2000s era of video game VA" kinda way. Some of the VA sounded very tone deaf but I suppose it was part of the appeal, that everyone just didn't act or behave "quite right" that made the experiencing unnerving. Silent Hill 3's redub was fine by me. Heather was a very good main character that you could empathize with. This is coming as a first time Silent Hill player. I should finish my Silent Hill 3 NG+ runs.
>>
>>378848475
>>378848628
YOU guys don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>378848675
>not Assassins Creed series
>>
>>378848664
>You have lost all objectivity about this topic.
Says guy who pretty much started with "you were just too young to realize that the VA work is shit, because I say so.

It's not my fault that TS did insanely great gaming experiences during their relatively short life span.

>>378848697
>Also I played Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD PS3
jesus christ no!
Also you literally cannot use old voices in SH3 HD, so you're stuck with the "45yo single mother chain smoker" -Heather and "20-something yo trying to sound 50-something" Doughlas. Absolutely fucking disgusting
>>
>>378848697
>shitty
In Water is the stronger ending than Leave and Maria. And you're also more likely to get it than the other two if you play the game like a regular survival horror action game.
>>
>>378848697
>with the dead body in the car
I always disregard this because there's no evidence for it in-game just what one of the artists said years later
>>
>Silent Hill thread
Neat! Time to repost the SH PC Guide + the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>protips
-play in release order
-never below Normal modes
-replaying highly advised
-adjust down the Brightness setting
-don't try to kill everything. Turn off your lamp
>>
>>378848950
>just what one of the artists
more like THE artist. Don't underestimate Ito's role in SH's legacy; he and Yamaoka quite literally crafted the audiovisual experiences.
>>
>>378848916
It's a very weak and cliche ending that goes for shock value, both Leave and Maria are stronger endings that thematically tie in closer with the rest of the game, even Rebirth is a better note to end a horror game with
>>
>>378845392
Promise should have played for "Leave" and Overdose Delusion should have played for "In Water"
>>
>>378849064
My point is nobody playing just the game could ever learn about the body in the car, it's not inferred anywhere in-game. the information is literally inaccessible unless you want to hunt down some old tweet by an artist and not a writer
>>
>>378845705
How do you feel about Claudia in SH3?
>>
>>378848250
Say what you want but ignorance isn't a free pass to spout bullshit. In this case, you are ignorant of how team Silent directed the acting and voice acting for the first 3 SH games.
It's well-documented that team silent had the team do several, several takes of every cutscene, giving them direction after every single take, of how they WANTED the game to sound like. And it's not like "they're japanese so they don't know what english sounds like". The team does their interviews almost exclusively in english, they watched several english horror movies to prepare for the development of the game and they worked with English-speaking actors IN english, not to mention Mary-Elizabeth McGlen, an AMERICAN was one if the directors for voice acting.

So next time you bitch about "the stilted voice acting" because "the actors suck" remember that they probably took longer to record one line than you did to learn how to shit in the potty.
>>
Twin Perfect
>>
>>378849272
It's more of a "figure it out yourself" kind of lore bit. Like the devs said, it's a bit of Japanese thing.
>>
>>378849085
>It's a very weak and cliche ending that goes for shock value
...weak and cliche in WHAT country exactly?
Shock vale? Perhaps, but only if you don't do much literature.
>>
>>378849085
Forgive and or chide me for being wrong as it's been a while, but I thought In Water was less about escaping, and more about James deciding that offing himself to be with Mary in the afterlife was the "thing that would make him happy".
>>
>>378848905
SH2 came out a long time ago; acknowledging that is not "losing objectivity."
Here's my take on the game, so you don't have to make any more assumptions.
SH2 failed to capitalize on the new hardware. At every turn TS took the safe and lazy approach when making the sequel to 1, a very technically impressive game for its time.
Voice acting, draw distance, enemy AI and variety, all worse than the original despite the expectation of improvement.
And the story is only deep and compelling to a kid who thinks Fight Club is kino.
>>
File: fedora.png (1002KB, 655x745px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
1002KB, 655x745px
>>378849640
>but only if you don't do much literature
>>
>>378849821
>Voice acting, draw distance, enemy AI and variety, all worse than the original

wrong on all counts
>>
Why does nobody really talk about Angela? Imo she's one of the most complex characters in video games and easily the best silent hill girl by far, yet when these threads come up all you see is Heather posting. Angela arguably has the most depth of any SH character. Ive even seen people discussing Eddie but never Angela. It's like she wasn't even in the game.
>>
>>378848990
I think the torrent ISO for 2 is corrupted
>>
How did they go from SH1-3 to SH4. The three first games were nearly perfect. I always thought that SH4 was underrated, not as good as the others but was still great. But I recently watched a playthrough of it and it has so many terrible design issues, recycled shit everywhere and stupid writing. It has like a few interesting concepts but it's completely overshadowed by the bad stuff.
>>
File: Ito SH2 canon.jpg (43KB, 516x233px) Image search: [Google]
Ito SH2 canon.jpg
43KB, 516x233px
>>378848139
It's a tradition for every Silent Hill game to have multiple endings, so you can interpret the game in any way you want. But we all know Harry wasn't having a dying dream.

But the creator of Pyramid Head confirms that Pyramid Head's sole purpose is to make James awake from his delusions, so he was created specifically for the In Water ending. In any other ending, the delusions continue, so Pyramid Head failed his mission and has no reason to exist(or stabhimself in the neck).

>>378848697
>Got the water ending in SH2. Really rustled my jimmies getting that shitty ending.

There is no way out for James, it's either prison cell or water.
>>
>>378850175
You took debate club in school, huh?
Oh well, like I said, you people are impossible to talk to.
>>
>>378850415
why do the delusions continue in the leave ending? iirc everything got resolved in it and james leaves knowing what happened.
>>
>>378845392
Did anyone else find this game not scary at all? It was atmospheric, but I never felt like I couldn't continue, and in fact I just sort of ran through a lot of shit unfazed.
I still really like it, though.
>>
>>378850719
SH2 is the least scary in the series probably, as you said it's more about atmosphere than being scary. The prison is pretty fucking tense and creepy though, as well as the weird fucked up sewer area with pyramid head.
>>
>>378850719
SH2 isn't supposed to be scary. It's supposed to be "psychologically disturbing" and "surreal" or whatever.

Things are meant to be metaphorical and uncomfortable to look at instead of frightening this time around. Like with Pyramid Head raping the mannequin.
>>
>>378850254
how's so?
>>
>>378850826
>>378850882
That makes a ton of sense actually.
>>
>>378850719
I get more depressed of it than scared

although it does ocassional give me a sense anxiety and dread, particularly in the thematically agressive levels of the prison/ labyrinth, and in the Born from a Wish side story
>>
>>378850882
>>378850826
>>378850719
The prison left an impression on me. The gallows courtyard area had this reoccurring sound effect of horses galloping that unnerved the shit out of me.
>>
>>378851067
That was the only part where I felt tense.
>>
>>378850415
>it's either te prison cell or water
Not true.

There's no evidence that James killed Mary, so he could easily pass it off as her dying of natural causes. This is especially true when you considered that the doctors had no clue about the nature of her disease.
>>
>>378850826
>>378850882
>>378850951
It's baffling how in this day and age such trivial things still need to be explained.
Why is realizing the horror genre isn't about just the scares such a revelation to some people?
>>
>>378851067
there's also these long hallways filled with cells with some crazy slamming of metal or something like that which just stresses me out. and in one of the cells you can hear a ghost speaking gibberish, small stuff like that makes me freak out
>>
>>378850951
>>378851067
Exactly, it's less about stuff like SH3's mirror room where more and more shit hits the fan every moment you stay in it (up to Heather dying) and more like the room you find Angela in with the pistons that are supposed to be a sex allegory.
>>
>>378851195
That's all that was fed to me.
>>
>>378850338
SH3 is a fairly notable downgrade from 1 and 2
>>
>>378851195
Well to be fair, western horror media almost entirely revolves around "BOO!" style horror.
>>
>>378850338
SH4 was made by Team Silent B team because Konami wanted Silent Hill games to be churn out more often(they wanted 1 SH game per year instead of 1 game being developed for 3 years). Masahiro Ito wasn't involved in it, he is the guy responsible for the rusty industrial otherworld and soured flesh creatures and the main guys were all on SH3 as well.
>>
>>378851121
>This is especially true when you considered that the doctors had no clue about the nature of her disease.

That's a false assumption. The game not telling you specifically what ailment she had did not mean the doctors and/or James didn't know. The disease itself was not relevant to the story; just that she was chronically ill and that the process of her dying was long and grueling, which took a toll on them both
>>
>>378851351
not really, it's pretty much equal to them, and the most replayable imo

>>378851469
Wasn't Akira Yamaoka the producer of SH4? Again the game had some really good concepts but it was badly realized. The enemy design is some of the worst I've seen. And every area is the same grey boring shit.
>>
>>378851351
it was the most straight-forward of them all (the four games)

despite offering a couple of good scares, at the time I thought it was pretty underwhelming, but I also couldn't imagine that in the future the horror game genre would suffer so god damn immensely that it basically stands high and above compared to most of its genre

it's pretty fucking depressing
>>
>>378851673
SH3 is literally a rehash of 1s plot using environments from 2, very little effort put into it
>>
>>378850645
The delusion that if he kills his wife, all his problems disappear. Leave ending is basically murder is ok.

Check this out:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/03/30/man-facing-homicide-charge-claims-wife-with-dementia-asked-to-be-killed-report-says.html

>>378851121
What about Eddie? Self-defence? The gun that killed Eddie has James's fingerprints all over it. Not to mention Laura would end up telling the police anyway.

We don't know what happened to Angela, but if she died burned in the hotel, James would be the first suspect.
>>
>>378852643

Mary was dead already and SH's monsters and supernatural elements exist, not to metion that you fight Maria in the Leave ending, not Mary

don't be a faggot that tries to explain everything through realism, because Silent Hill is not that kind of series
>>
>>378852643
>Eddie
Does that even matter? He killed the guy in Silent Hill. The police will never find out about it.

Personally, I think that, even if didn't go to jail, James still wouldn't be able to live with himself. He accepted his guilt, sure, but he still murdered his wife. That shit is never going away.
>>
>>378851673
>Wasn't Akira Yamaoka the producer of SH4?

Yamaoka was just the OST guy and the money manager to guarantee that the product gets finished smoothly. While his music is responsible for great part of the atmosphere of the games, He was never involved in the actual game or lore, Yamaoka himself says this during an interview:
>Yamaoka: What I'll tell you right now is that we have a crazy designer who makes these creatures. He forms the backbone of our team and without him, Silent Hill as you know it wouldn't be possible.
>>
>>378852879
Mary's body on the backseat would be enough proof.

>>378852925
Laura is a witness and she hated James remember. During questioning she would spill everything, while James's side of story would sound like absolute insanity and he would be classified as insane instantly.

James would certainly end in a psych ward or prison.
>>
>>378851351
SH3 is the Silent Hill kino actually. The nightmarish environments are some of the best in horror.
>>
>>378852643
>>378854793
Kek imagine missing the point this hard
>>
>>378850242
im very tired but i just wanted to chime in and tell you that you are correcet about Angela being best SH girl and a very deep and tragic character
>>
>>378856223
you mean the exact same blood and rust corridors we saw in every other Silent Hill?
>>
>>378854793
>Mary's body on the backseat would be enough proof.
show me where in the game this is revealed or even suggested, I dare you
>>
>>378856384
>game can't have a happy ending
>BUT I WANT MUH GAMES TO HAVE HAPPY ENDINGS!

Look bro, if you need some motivation i can recommend you some motivation Instagrams and Tumblrs with plenty of motivational pictures and phrases. Silent Hill has never been useful for this sort of thing.
>>
>>378856550
Like the lead designer's words? >>378849064
>>
>>378857449
>in the game

some half remembered trivia on twitter a decade later is not part of the game
>>
>>378857171
>BUT WHY WASNT JAMES ARRESTED FOR MURDER
>WHAT WAS SILENT HILLS TAX POLICY
>>
>>378854793
Nice fanfiction can you link me the rest?
>>
File: heahther_sh3.gif (490KB, 179x180px) Image search: [Google]
heahther_sh3.gif
490KB, 179x180px
>>378851351
>>378852150
Get the fuck out you disgusting plebs. By calling SH3 underwhelming you're indirectly calling the original shit, since it's a direct sequel. Believe it or not, even though most people enjoyed 2, it wasn't the sequel to the game they were looking for. Every single person I know that started with SH2 thinks SH3 is somehow worse, and yet everyone that loved the original usually think SH3 is the best, and there's plenty of reasons for that, the most important of which is that the story was entirely engrossing for those who were engaged by the original. Actually, that reason alone makes it a better game than SH2. How the fuck do you even make a sequel to a game like the original SH? It seems like an impossible task, and yet Team Silent did it. It was incredibly original, emotional and horrifying, without being repetitive or containing any fan service. It's the most refined Silent Hill game, and it absolutely shows. It also has the best character in the series (as well as the single greatest VO performance in gaming history), Vincent, so considering 3 as anything less than being on par with SH2 is objectively false.
>>
>>378858247
>By calling SH3 underwhelming you're indirectly calling the original shit, since it's a direct sequel

retard logic

you're also admitting you think SH3 is a complete 1:1 rehash of SH1 kek
>>
>>378858247
go to bed, twin perfect
>>
File: FrankSunderland.png (85KB, 250x284px) Image search: [Google]
FrankSunderland.png
85KB, 250x284px
>>378857712
It is indeed fan fiction, because as of SH4, James and Mary are both still missing, which means they really went to the bottom of the river.
>>
>>378858656
Or James went on the run and made a new life with Laura, kind of like what Harry did. There's thing called ambiguity. Silent Hill uses it.
>>
>>378858656
even if the In Water-ending was considered canon, it does not mean that your earlier god awful explanations are right
>>
>>378848990
If you have a good enough PC, emulating SH2 on PCSX2 is the best way to play it.
>>
>>378858801
Oh yeah, running away with a loli is like 4chan's favorite fantasy.

>>378858936
It's not explanation, it's a logical conclusion. James was a criminal before the game even starts, it makes no difference if he plans to kill himself or live happily with a demon clone of his wife or a adopt a kid that hates him for killing a person she loved. All of these are terrible fates.
>>
>>378858351
>reddit spacing
Bandwagonners jump on the most easily accessible installment of a series for a reason.
>>378859920
Nah, the text looks substantially worse on pcsx2. Also considering how effective the fog fix is, aside from the PS2, PC is the best way to play it, despite the noise filter being trash and the inferior sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Nt8ahZRk
>>
>>378859920
eh, only barely. And setting up PS2 emu is pain in the ass, and seems to result mixed effects for different people.

PC port runs on just about anything, even on HD resolutions, and the FMV replacements + Fog Fix make it even better experience.
>>
>>378860021
>Oh yeah, running away with a loli is like 4chan's favorite fantasy.
That projection, why do you feel the need to sexualie everything? it's no different from SH1's canon ending
>>
>>378860216
>Bandwagonners jump on the most easily accessible installment of a series for a reason
you mean silent hill 3?
>>
>>378860216
Dude just look at the scene compariosn at about 28 seconds in to that video. The colors are completely off in the PC version, it just looks way shittier.
>>
>>378858247
>as well as the single greatest VO performance in gaming history)

Fuck off twin perfect, Father Vincent's VA isn't that spectacular.
>>
>>378860281
It's not barely better, it's a lot better. And it's not that hard to set up the emulator, I mean it takes some effort but if you've toyed around with emulators before and can follow a simple guide it's easy. And to your last point that's why I said if your PC can handle it
>>
That note and this scene are my favorite scenes. The music is literally perfect when James is talking and his delivery is weirdly beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HhS4djBL4

>Is she really alive... waiting for me?
>>
>>378850719
SH2, in my opinion, wasnt really meant to be scary in the screaming and jumping kind of sense. The way I see it, its more of Team Silents way of making the themes seem more alien and disgusting, not necessarily scary, though im sure a lot of people did find it to be scary. The disturbing imagery is used more to set the tone and tell a story than anything else I guess. I dont know, I cant really find the right words to describe what I mean. Silent Hill 2 is much slower in pace in most ways except combat really (thats about the same), so I guess the visuals and imagery are less shocking and jarring, but rather they are more curiously disgusting, since the monsters have meaning to the people that perceive them. When you mix "Sex and Death" the only real way to go about it is to make it curiously morbid, not terrifying. Death is scary (to most) and Sex is the primal human goal, yet they go hand in hand.

It probably just sounds like rambling nonsense but thats how I see SH2.

I guess you can think of it as, SH2 is like slowly freezing to death, and 1 & 3 are like being burned to death.
>>
>>378860774
That has to do with the users settings/their recording method, etc. Playing the game right now and the contrast isn't anywhere near that high. But again, PS2 is the best version, just a shame about the resolution.
>>
>>378861745
But that's my whole point, if you emulate you can bump up the resolution, and have the superior version of the game.
>>
>>378851351
In terms of story and sound track? sure I agree but thats highly subjective and it comes with the territory of a more concrete story. I still love SH3 and its sound track but I do like SH2 better

In terms of technology and combat? SH3 is a step up. Maybe not a huge step up, but a step up for sure.
>>
I love Silent Hill 2 but the combat is so god awful.
>>
>>378861967
And now that I think about it the puzzles are pretty shit too
>>
Homecoming or Downpour?
>>
>>378861852
Emulator is annoying to deal with, but again, it's more that it messes up the font. I'm way too attached to it and seeing it any differently triggers me.
>>378861967
>>378862309
Combat in the first 3 games are 90% the same. You can hate it all you want, but technically speaking there's little wrong with it. You're right about the puzzles, though that's because they're in a league of their own. The Shakespeare riddle leaves me in sheer awe almost every time I read it.
>>
>>378862309
nah, the puzzles are great
>>
>>378850242
I concur, to me Angela was the most tragic and nuanced character and her ending devastated me more than James' at the time
>>
>>378862887
Yes, my first thought when I see a can of juice is always "This belongs in the trash!"
>>
>>378863278
>t. underage gamer

puzzles in games from before you were born had a certain "point n' click" logic to them
>>
>>378863407
Where's the logic in throwing away juice
>>
>>378861678
SH2 clearly wasn't designed to be scary. It's more of a depressive atmosphere, it's hard to explain with words but that's what makes Silent Hill special. I still remember the first time i played SH2 and the feeling of exploring the historical society part.
>>
>>378863246
"Its hot as hell in here."
"You see it too? For me, its always like this."

Hit too close to home.
>>
>>378864228
the depressive atmosphere is only there on replays, when the player knows James killed Mary really it's just as much horror as SH1
>>
Silent Hill the town, in Silent Hill 2, is purgatory, right?
>>
File: SH2 - PS2 vs PC comparison fixd.jpg (684KB, 1440x1620px) Image search: [Google]
SH2 - PS2 vs PC comparison fixd.jpg
684KB, 1440x1620px
>>378860885
>it's a lot better.
it really is not.
PC has better lighting and resolution for starters.
I got a decent mid-tier gaming PC I built myself few years back, and PS2 emulation still sucks ass.
>>
>>378865497
No.
It is not.
It's a real town, where living people go. Even live in.

Why do people still spread that ages old meme?
>>
>>378865497
there's 3 layers of Silent Hill, in the games we only ever see the bottom 2. But Silent Hill is a populated resort town
>>
File: silent hill 3 valtiel valve.gif (738KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
silent hill 3 valtiel valve.gif
738KB, 500x500px
>>378864809
It doesn't feel as oppressive as SH1 or SH3 though. I mean most of the otherworld is empty with not much going on. In SH1 everything is rusted, bloodied and there are tortured bodies everywhere. SH2's otherworld looks like abandoned places while SH1 and SH3's otherworlds look like industrial hells, it looks like something from Jacob's ladder or Hellraiser but a much more complete version of it, the player actually gets to explore and interact with these screwed up places.
>>
>>378864675
And then she just walks away and the fact that James just lets her because he knows he can't help her was always what got to me the most
>>
>>378866325
I think they were trying to do something new with the otherworld in 2, so instead of repeating 1's rusty gates and blood, they went for labyrinthine prisons, pits and water. In 3 they just repeated themselves and it felt cliche and overdone
>>
>>378866075
Why is it deserted?
>>
>>378867579
SH1's otherworld has an specific theme, but SH3 is actually pretty varied, Brookhaven for example, each floor is different.
>>
>>378866138
Why is it deserted?
>>
>>378868246
The citizens turned into monsters. That's right you've been killing innocent humans the entire time.
>>
>>378868497
By the start of the games the characters are already in the otherworld
>>
>>378868436
>Brookhaven for example, each floor is different.

Same for hilltop center. The 3rd floor is made out of wood or something like that if i recall correctly.
>>
>>378850719
It's more depressive to me. 3 is more overtly scary
>>
>>378868436
Isn't SH1's otherworld inspired by Alessa's burning and the hospital basement they kept her in? SH3 is basically that plus extra blood because dude womb imagery
>>
>>378868246
>Why is it deserted?
Alessa incident removed a lot of them. The town was a playground of cult and drug drafficing. The entire place went to hell. And you sometimes wander in your own mental projection bubbles.
>>
>>378868717
3 was a bit heavy on the overt scares it's kind of J-horror esque, felt like a step down from 2's David Lynch style
>>
>>378868771
Yes, except it's not "another world". It's THIS world, planet earth, being corrupted by her mental projections, into what you see.
>>
>>378868939
Yeah I always found it weird that scene where Kaufman is like "a special forces unit should be on it's way soon" It's seems so un-silent hill that anyone could walk into that even though that's how it originally was
>>
>>378865980
>better lighting
Well in the picture you posted it looks worse, too bright.
>resolution
Except the picture you posted proves you wrong as it says clear as day 4x RESOLUTION, you can emulate at just as high a resolution as the PC port.
>PS2 emulation still sucks ass
Flat out lie, I played SH2 at 4x res (1080p) a little less than a year ago on a mid tier PC (r9 290, i5 4460) and it ran flawlessly. Just have to enable software rendering for FMVs
>>
>>378868657
What is the otherworld? Seems to me like it might as well be purgatory. And sorry if it's explained in 1 or 3 I only played 2
>>
File: 1405546670175.png (106KB, 232x213px) Image search: [Google]
1405546670175.png
106KB, 232x213px
>>378845616
The environment was surreal and uncanny, so you can imagine that the people would be the same. These are emotionally unstable wrecks, they talk like they're either on the verge of tears or like they've never talked to another human being in their life.
>>
>>378869495
It's sort of like purgatory, I think people just avoid that term because it immediately brings up Christian connotations and the only religion SH revolves around is a fictional one
>>
>>378868910
That's fair, I think it does go for the more low hanging fruit as it were but I still think I enjoyed it more. The carnival especially does it for me, I love the blending of harmless and dangerous elements.
>>
>>378869495
>and sorry if it's explained in 1 or 3 I only played 2
Yeah, neo-SH2 "fans" tend to be like that.
Play the games.
>>
>>378869780
>I think people just avoid that term because it immediately brings up Christian connotations and the only religion SH revolves around is a fictional one
Nope, you are just wrong.
Other world is not a "world" at all. No demons or angels or shit. Harry himself explains it very well in SH1.
>>
>>378869780
No, it's just is not purgatory, other world, hell, etc. And the cult is very much based on Christianity.
>>
>>378869919
Real talk: Why be a dick to him? What does that accomplish? You think he's more likely to play the games after a fan was a prick for no reason?
>>
>>378869817
In a way it's a nice continuation of Silent Hill 1's schlocky b-movie horror, really Silent Hill 2 is the odd one out but when Western devs started making SH games they kept trying to copy it
>>
>>378870001
>No demons or angels or shit
except for that final boss kek
>>
>>378870093
>And the cult is very much based on Christianity
You've been watching the movie too much
>>
>>378870001
Harry was just taking a guess at what it was, he didn't have any concrete knowledge about how it worked.
>>
>>378870001
But the otherworld and it's monsters literally are a purgatory where the characters are tormented by demons that represent their sins
>>
>>378869495
The otherworld is a place that has been corrupted beyond repair. It's not trying to give anybody a moral lesson or anything like that.
>>
>>378870114
I think that's why it's a poor place to start if you're interested in the series. The laws and ideas presented are almost like a completely different series.
>>
>>378869919
Nah I'm just a regular fan of SH2
>>
>>378870093
>And the cult is very much based on Christianity.
Don't try to tell people about Silent Hill lore if your only exposure to the series is the movies.
>>
>>378870093
Oh my sweet little Brainlet, It's Paganism disguised as Christianity so they can go about their practices more openly
>>
>>378870420
>It's not trying to give anybody a moral lesson or anything like that
>Missing the entire point of Silent Hill 2

James literally kills 2 Pyramid Heads through words after accepting what he'd done, the town built that entire scenario to make him face his actions
>>
>>378870093
The region where Silent Hill was built was considered sacred by the natives and natives don't believe in hell. So no, the otherworld is not hell or purgatory.
>>
>>378870885
Exactly, and Angela and Eddie both end up giving in to the demons that haunt them. I feel it's so obvious it's purgatory I don't even know how someone could argue the contrary.
>>
Focusing the series around Alessa and the Cult was a mistake, SH1-2-4 is the real trilogy
>>
>>378870885
James goes to Silent Hill to commit suicide and Pyramid Head helps him achieve that because that's his wish. Pyramid Head commits suicide as well, James can't damage the Pyramid Head.
>>
>>378870924
This. The best explanation for Silent Hill is right from whichever game it was that had a monument or a newspaper clipping or something that basically just said "there's a certain power to the area Silent Hill is build on". It's injun magic, they don't gotta explain shit.
>>
>>378868910
but that's okay, SH2 was a masterpiece and one-of-a-kind. you can't really replicate it. making the next game more like SH1 was a smart choice.
>>
>>378871193
And by the way, I'm referring to purgatory as in the in between state of life and afterlife, where you come to terms with what you did and what happened to you in life. It's not exclusively a Christian concept.
>>
>>378871215
>James goes to Silent Hill to commit suicide
Nope, the town lures him there with the letter
>>
>>378871389
He never got a letter, it was literally in his own head. Did you even play the game? He physically brought a piece of paper with him to Silent Hill, but as you see towards the end of the game, it was blank the whole time.
>>
>>378845392
The sad part is that [spoilers]he gets that message after he kills her.[/spoilers]
>>
>>378871509
Blank because the town sent to him
>>
>>378871701
How does a town send mail?
>>
>>378871215
PH represents punishment, they kill themselves because James literally tells them he doesn't need the punishment anymore, it's nothing to do with suicide
>>
>>378871701
The town didn't send him anything. His own guilt over what he did to Mary was crushing him, and his mind was looking for some form of reprieve. His own mind made him believe he received a letter from Mary, asking him to go to their "special place", which was a way of getting him to Silent Hill, a place he and Mary shared happy memories of, so that he could end his life and be relieved of his guilt.
>>
>>378871753
How does a town create monsters and upside down hallways?
>>
I think SH2 might be too deep for fans of 1 and 3 lel
>>
>>378871932
They look like monsters to you?
>>
>>378871906
>so that he could end his life
>le james came to silent hill to kill himself meme

Then why didn't he just jump into the lake as soon as he got there? Why go on a huge odyssey of self discovery where he leaves the town alive and well?
>>
>>378871193
>fat guy gets bullied his entire life
>goes to a resort to relax
>town bullies him even harder and makes him go crazy

>girl gets raped by father and brother regularly while her mother tells her that she deserves it all
>stabs father to death
>town punishes her harder than her own family

The town is punishing the victims instead of the perpetrators...
>>
>>378872151
He needed to resolve that guilt first, and come to terms with what he had done. Remember that he built this whole narrative in his mind about Mary being dead for three years, and as far as he remembers, that's the truth. He had to explore the town to understand what he had done, at which point he would be free to take his own life in repentance.
>>
>>378872238
It's not punishing them, they are facing their personal demons
>>
>>378872352
But what about the endings where he doesn't kill himself? It's more likely to get an ending where James lives
>>
File: r9k schizophrenia 1466623690672.png (658KB, 799x1899px) Image search: [Google]
r9k schizophrenia 1466623690672.png
658KB, 799x1899px
>>378872151
James was batshit crazy by that point. His actions weren't making any sense anymore. That's whole point of SH2, James is in a psychotic break.
>>
>>378872601
this, The Town is just a template people project onto
>>
>>378872613
Well if you go by the "In water is the canon ending" belief, then those don't exactly count.

But you could make an argument that, in the course of his adventure in Silent Hill, James not only learned to accept the truth of what he did to Mary, but to forgive himself for it, and thus is able to leave the town and move on (or leave the town and go through the whole process again, depending on which ending you want to look at). Or, you could also say that he accepted what he did to Mary, and rather than accepting a punishment or learning to forgive himself, he goes full on crazy from the guilt and decides to try to bring her back to life.

ayyylamos is the canon ending
>>
File: download.jpg (19KB, 215x234px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19KB, 215x234px
Whats the best way to play all the good Silent Hills now?

Emulator?
>>
>>378872893
>Well if you go by the "In water is the canon ending" belief, then those don't exactly count.

The proper endings are equally canon, that's nature of it. I don't get people who push the "In Water" ending as canon. It's the most anticlimactic ending and makes the rest of the game null but I guess people like edgy shit
>>
>>378873213
SH1- Mednafen for accuracy or PCSX-R PGXP if you want cool enhancements
SH2- PC port with improved flashlight mod
SH3- PC port
>>
>>378873213
Yes
>>
>>378873225
Anticlimactic is right, it's literally just a black screen with audio over it, So much for the canon ending if the devs couldn't even be bothered making it
Thread posts: 190
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.