[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are today's games focusing on resolution and framerate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

File: beamng2.webm (3MB, 1200x506px) Image search: [Google]
beamng2.webm
3MB, 1200x506px
Why are today's games focusing on resolution and framerate when they could be focusing on shit that actually matters, like physics?
>>
>>378844245
that will be relevant after inevitable vidya market stagnation/crash
>>
>>378844245
When they will figure out that throwing 20 million assets in a level and a guy with a gun that can only damage 3 of them is not enough.
>>
Cause the facsimile of real physics we have now is good enough.
>>
it's certainly a romantic idea but physics at a high level is incredibly CPU intensive and most people wouldn't be able to run it past the small simulation styles ala your webm
>>
>>378844327
Except that literally wont happen though
>>
>>378844464
You literally have no idea what are you talking about.
See

Maya and Nvidia physx integration
Additional GPU(old) that can be used as physx cards.
>>
>>378844464
that is unless multicore CPUs (like 6 cores plus) will become more widespread, then hopefully shit will get some devs attention
>>
dumb / stringy / glitchy physics is fun though
>>
they don't actually add much value
>>
File: out.webm (3MB, 1000x422px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
3MB, 1000x422px
>>
File: beamngcrash.webm (3MB, 800x338px) Image search: [Google]
beamngcrash.webm
3MB, 800x338px
>>378844556
With Ryzen forcing Intel to step up their game, hopefully that will happen soon.
>>
>>378844485
oh yeah, Intel hasn't totally reduced Desktop R&D department and sales of new console hardware is growing every year.

It depends on how you understand the term "crash" really (cuz normally it just means very sudden squeezing of market, but not its complete evaporation)
>>
>>378844580
>devs have no idea how to utilize it because they lack imagination
>IT DOESNT ADD ANYTHING

I am still waiting on a VR Duel Monsters game with virtual stadiums,crowd blue eyes white dragon to blast me to bits.
>>
File: 1297344721382.jpg (17KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
1297344721382.jpg
17KB, 211x211px
>>378844552
>physx
>thinks I don't know what I'm talking about
>>
>>378844724
sure showed me
>>
>>378844245
Or they could use vulkan and have both
>>
>>378844705
so what cool shit you gonna make with ebin physics?
>>
>>378844552
You're literally worse off using old GPUs as physx cards over doing the calculations on the newer GPUs
>>
File: BeamNG.jpg (31KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
BeamNG.jpg
31KB, 400x266px
The cars in BeamNG look like they're made of rubber
>>
>>378844757
He did. Why would anybody use that closed source garbage
>>
>>378844245
Consoles have ultracastrated netbook-tier CPUs, can't do that shit since it's CPU-heavy and the vast majority of games are multiplats.
>>
>>378844805
Dont be so dense,I am just capturing the market mentality.
>VR failed so it must be stupid
>Physics failed because it doesnt add anything

Should I draw it for you,so you can understand?
>>
File: welcome to 2009.jpg (74KB, 674x532px) Image search: [Google]
welcome to 2009.jpg
74KB, 674x532px
>>378844464
I can run that game on his webm at 30+ fps, and my machine is pic related.
>>
nvidia bought out the only company developing dedicated physics processing cards and dead-ended the idea
>>
>>378844805
It's not about things in particular, it's all of the things that a good robust physics engine would allow players to do with it.
>>
>>378844894
yes please
>>
>>378844245
because consoles
>>
>>378844887
>Consoles have ultracastrated netbook-tier CPUs
remember the times when we'd recoil and go "god that's awful" at statements like that and not look at it wistfully because there is now a console which is exactly as strong as a google pixel
>>
>>378844926
Yea we really need another card to shill
>>
>>378844882
Just saying the option is there if anyone wants to make good physics based game,I am very against closed source software because I deal with it every day.

>>378844830
Yes,thanks to bad driver implementation(giming).
Thanks nvidia.

>>378844969
Not getting into vitriolic augments over something you know nothing about.
Life is too short.
>>
>>378844935
yeah, like things

nothing specific, just shittons of resources and development time so that our games can have... things in them

sounds great, i'm sure the industry will get right on spending all that time and money
>>
>>378844935
but if you actually want to spend money developing something, you'll need an application that is worth the investment.
>>
Blame Nvidia.
They set the industry back 10 years when they bought PhysX and turned it into an expensive novelty.
>>
>>378845083
>nothing specific, just shittons of resources and development time so that our games can have

You mean like games do now?
Investing in 3 billion assets in a mission and only handful of intractable objects?
>>
>>378844245
Have you tried Danger Zone?
It's basically crash mode from Burnout, made by the guys who founded Criterion
>>
>>378844975
Are you trying to imply that having a CPU as fast as a phone is a good thing? I'm confused.
>>
>>378844887
What if there was a magical next gen api called vulkan that could be used to cut down on cpu compiling times freeing up the cpu dramatically? Dx and windows is your issue not consoles
>>
Because normalfags/plebs/NPCs/goyim/lemmings/whatever will buy games based on flashy graphics and being told to do so via media, not because of impressive gameplay-related technology.
>>
>>378844245
The problem is designing a game around it, specially with faggy writers taking over your game.
Those individuals have the mindset that the game must work like a movie or book, where the player is supposed to follow their fixed story, instead of writing their own stories and things that are too dynamic like physics and AI make that quite impossible.
When they decide to give the player choice, they literally write one of those "choose your path" scripts and the player can pick between point A and B.
>>
>>378845169
yes, and there's no deformation on the vehicle models whatsoever
just scrape/scratch textures
>>
>>378845083
kaiju games will never be good until there are physics to govern city destruction
>>
>>378844882
UE4 and Unity do, and quite sure CE3 does as well, so you better get used to it.

As complexity increases it becomes less and less viable to use your own in-house solution.
>>
>>378845206
>specially with faggy writers taking over your game.
Remember its not a lake,its an ocean.

t.payed full price for a mediocre game backed by Microsoft
>>
>>378845015
t. poor fag
>>
>>378845174
Not really, CPUs actually used in modern gaming desktops are vastly more powerful than the Jaguar trash in current consoles.
>>
>>378845083
>>378845134
Let's try an example of then.

You know how a lot of people enjoyed the large variety of things BotW allowed them to do? A robust physics engine allows players to do that and more.

When players have more freedom and options and things they can do, it often ends up blessing the game with good reviews and strong word of mouth.

So a solid physics engine and a handful of tools that allow the player to use it in some, or any way, helps sell games. Certainly more than a lot of the shit devs end up spending time and money on instead.
>>
>>378844245
physics performance depends entirely on CPU speed. CPU speed has hit a pretty hard limit in the past decade, they attempt to make up for it with multi-threading but some problems can't be parallelized, physics is one of them. To make significant improvements in physics we'd need to see processors that are 10, 100, 1000 times faster
>>
>>378845406
Why are you even bothering to argue with people who even think this is a debate? If they weren't completely retarded, they wouldn't be arguing against it to begin with.
>>
>>378845406
like minecraft?
>>
>>378845206
The alternative is randomly generated nonsense. Scripted is gold it just has to be good.
>>
>>378845426
Actual physics calculations are done on GPUs you mong
>>
>>378845426
>they attempt to make up for it with multi-threading but some problems can't be parallelized

the other problem with this is on the driver/software end

plenty of games simply can't use multiple cores/threads well
>>
>>378845196
Kinda but not really.
When you actually hit the jackpot with gameplay, you RAPE the AAAs in sales (see marios, minecraft, tetris, the sims etc..), but making an AAA with pretty graphics will guarantee sales from retarded console fanboys that want something to prove that their fan console IS THE MOST POWERFUL BOX EVA.
Pretty much the neogaf audience.
>>
I'm not sure I want very realistic physics in most games. These .webms just show how unfun driving is with realistic physics. Remember when GTAIV went for more realistic driving and collision physics and almost everyone hated it? I found it tolerable there, but more realistic wouldn't be very fun in games that aren't simulations.
>>
>>378845497
No the alternative is for companies to stop hiring people from the VFX movie industry including writers who work on movies to make their VIDEO GAMES.
>>
>>378845497
There are several alternatives, but the randomly generated one is the easiest.
>>
>>378845506
no they aren't
GPUs do parallel, one-way processing
physics objects all need to collide with each other
you could use the GPU for some things maybe, but the meat of physics work can't be parallelized
>>
Why are physics in vidya so slow and floaty? I want to be decapitated by metal debris flying at 500km/h, I want bricks to fall like bricks instead of balloons, why does physics mean "the properties of a balloon"?
>>
>>378845969
They still use raw timesteps, so if you have shit moving too fast, they end going thru walls etc..

They're starting to fix those things now, but on the older days (as in 2014 old), using the physics engine with fast ended into sonic adventure like issues.
>>
>>378846135
That actually makes sense, thanks for the answer.
>>
>>378846135
>They still use raw timesteps, so if you have shit moving too fast, they end going thru walls etc..
Why? What are raw timesteps?
>>
>>378846349
I think he's talking about how the physics engine goes "This object is there, and next frame, at this speed and direction, it will be here". The issue with that is that a wall only works when the object collides with it. And if an object is fast enough to go from one side of the wall to another in one frame, it never collides with the wall and passes straight through.
>>
>>378846567
Ahh. Thank you. Very interesting.
>>
>he doesn't remember breach (not the cod one the physics one)

it lags like shit
>>
>>378844834
Fuck, i wanted one of these so much when i was a kid.
>>
>>378844245
Because consoles have terrible processors
>>
>>378844245
Screenshots can only show off resolution, thus that is what gets focused on. You're fooling yourself if you think any dev focuses on frame rate.
>>
>>378845471
nice try but minecraft has no physics
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.