[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Hardly ever play hack and slash games in my life >never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: diablo_2_boxart.0.0.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
diablo_2_boxart.0.0.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>Hardly ever play hack and slash games in my life
>never seemed interesting because I never really liked the idea of player skill being pushed aside for loot rewards and bigger player numbers
>didn't enjoy borderlands/warframe for this reason
>/v/ tells me this isn't the case
>buy titan quest and download diablo, and try out torchlight
>literally all games are just walking around clicking on enemies until they die and using abilities when available, no skill whatever. Not even fun to click on things.
>constant annoying as shit loot drops forcing me to compare shit all the time
>drop games after about 20 hours of play time combined

how the fuck can anyone enjoy this shit? Diablo is atmospheric, but it's not even remotely fun.

>inb4 "it gets good after 50 hours!"
>>
you don't like these games, and that's okay anon. there's lots of other video games out there to enjoy and i hope you find something that excites you.
>>
Gotta either be an easily excited kid or a total braindead normie who likes seeing numbers go up.
>>
>>378837724
Back when the first 2 Diablo games came out there weren't that many games that allowed you to go full rambo mode, specially with such an atmosphere, I didn't even really care about the loot.

Also while the story was very basic it was interesting enough, D2 has 6 quests per chapter (and in the second chapter is basically a single quest divided in 6 parts).

Looting-based vidya were a mistake.
>>
>>378837892
I mean, it's not that I'm against people enjoying these games or whatever, I just seriously do not get the appeal.

Where's the fun? I looked up high level gameplay, and it's the exact same thing as the low level game play. There's no skill involved at all in these games. It's just numbers going up that lead to you being able to beat further enemies and make more numbers go up.

The popularity of Borderlands and Warframe astound me, but at least in warframe it's kinda fun to kill enemies, and at least borderlands tests reflexes and aiming.
>>
>>378837724
>I dont like all genres
Ofc you dont, who the fuck does?
However, I would argue that the "It takes no skill what so ever" is kinda bs.
Try Diablo 2 with a hardcore character, it takes more skill to clear hell with a hc char in Diablo 2 than 99% of todays "gamers" can even dream of.
>>
>>378838130
How do you define skill though? In a tactics game, it's planning and movement and proper use of environment and abilities. In an FPS, it's reflexes and aiming being tested. In a platformer, it's reflexes and careful precision being tested. What exactly do hack and slash games test?

From what I played, nothing. All you do is walk, click, compare weapon stats, spam the heal potion button, walk, click, compare weapons, level up, walk and click slightly better, and repeat ad infinitum.

All the game is testing is your patience to keep playing.
>>
>>378838130
Come on, I enjoyed Diablo 2 but how can you even argue that "not leveling up your abilities until you hit the required level to get the one you want" considered a skill?
>>
>>378838130
Anon, having prior knowledge of the game and being able to exploit the weakness and get gamebreaking stuff early and cheesing enemies isn't a skill. It's knowledge of the mechanics of the game, but it's hardly skillful.

Diablo 2 is the game as all these other games where if you are a low level character, you get fucked, unless you specifically cheese the game, like the people who used the damage absorbtion ball in Diablo 1. There's no skill there. Just mana potion spam.
>>
>>378838113
these games were never about "skill" but rather just gear checks. you blow up monsters until you find gear that lets you blow up monsters in different or more efficient ways. d2 has pretty crazy affixes where gear you have could just do jack shit against something and that makes you change up your approach. or maybe a monster throws a fuckload of fireballs at you to keep you on your toes. you do this with all the different classes. these games just don't appeal to you and that's perfectly okay. it's not "wrong" to not like these game, especially when gameplay has evolved by literally two decades of d2's influence.
>>
>>378838307
>>378838363
In the case of D2 I would argue that the "skill" required to clear the game with a hc char is indeed mostly prior knowledge of the game.
BUT, stating that it´s just tedious grinding and mindless killing until you´ve reached an adequate lvl or gear lvl is just ignorant.
Planning, using tactics, prior knowledge and staying on your toes at all times are key to even dreaming of clearing hc.
>>
>>378838307
>What exactly do hack and slash games test?
You answered your own question there.
>level up
Making a build and think about where you distribute points.
>compare weapon stats
Assessing weapon stats to find out what is good for your character.
Also evading enemy attacks and reaction time in general. Think about how you can play more efficiently.

I'm not saying there's a high skill ceiling, but your statement is hyperbole.
>>
>>378838639
Having prior knowledge makes things easier, but that doesn't make it more skill based.

It's like playing dark souls, realising that a boss is weak to fire, and then using a fire weapon against it. Yes, the fight is easier, and you are doing better, but you are not more skilled at it.

As for planning, what planning?
>"Oh I better not go into this high level dungeon because I'll get rekt even if I play as well as I can because my numbers aren't big enough."

And tactics?
>"Should I use my HP potion now, or in two seconds when I get swamed and will need to use it anyway. Mustn't forget to click this abilities button that makes fireballs rain from the sky when it recharges! I guess I can stand here for 2 minutes while it charges."
>>
>>378838706
>evading enemy attacks/having reaction time
>in hack and slash games

bullshit unless you spam the most powerful magic spells and stay far away, and in that case there's no reaction time being tested

These games are not games like dark souls where you can avoid every attack and beat the game without being hit. These games practically force you to get hit and chug potions.
>>
>>378838918
Not all of them obviously, but Victor Vran would be an example I think.
>>
>>378837724
I don't like em either OP. They're just no fun at all. That said, I quite enjoy RTS games.
>>
Tell me /v/, what can modern vidya do to recapture Diablo II's magic?

It was full of tedious cancer, itemization was bullshit, skills were unbalanced as hell, and the pacing of acts/difficulties was all over the pace, but it was so awesome at some things that I didn't bother being inconvenienced by its tedium, its tiny ass storage space and other non-existent QoL features.

>inb4 nostalgia
>>
>>378837724
they're for autists who like seeing bigger numbers

much like disgaea
>>
>ITT People with <100 hours in D2 who thinks they're hot shit for clearing Normal with some cookie-cutter build they found on Diablofans and don't know what a Runeword is claim D2 is a bad game

Great thread guys.
>>
>>378837724
Diablo like suck ass on PC try Nioh.
>>
>>378837724
>a game has to require "skill" to be good

The memesouls cancer needs to die.
>>
File: skeletal 5500.png (35KB, 543x659px) Image search: [Google]
skeletal 5500.png
35KB, 543x659px
>>378837724
i found my fun in diablo 2 and torchlight with summons

pic related.
>>
>>378837724
It's a form of gambling for autists.
I liked Diablo 1 when I'd played nothing else and Diablo 2 because of a range of things, atmosphere included. But I had a similar problem where I realised the gameplay was repetitive clicking.

Hardcore hack and slash players are just autistic. They're actually enjoying the planning of a character concept and then ritualistically clicking to enact that concept and hunting around for bigger numbers.
The games act like a slot machine.

Autists and asians (who are autists) get addicted to slot machines the most.
>>
>>378840103
the wise r9k robot taught me that you can't recapture magic, but you can reeeeeevive it by being original!
>>
>>378837724
Singleplayer Diablo is cancer.

Multiplayer Diablo is god-tier.
>>
>>378843308
>singleplayer diablo is cancer
>multiplayer diablo is cancer

ftfy
>>
>>378838113
diablo isn't about the execution or your skill, it's about the preparation and crazy gear combos you can get if you plan your shit out correctly.
>>
File: wrong.gif (2MB, 320x177px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.gif
2MB, 320x177px
>>378843308
>>
>>378838113
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zQgw_rKWT8

Stay a while and listen (if you really want to know why some people find it appealing and why some people fucking hate it)
>>
File: 1318262729727.png (80KB, 248x280px) Image search: [Google]
1318262729727.png
80KB, 248x280px
>>378838918
>>
>>378844526
This. Especially in 2, when you progress in the game, you just need to find ways to overcome the boring immunity gimmicks they throw at you.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.