[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay anon, here's the deal: I want to get into the "golden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

Okay anon, here's the deal:
I want to get into the "golden age" of PC gaming.
I never played any of these games before or anything like them, but as of late i've been wanting to try them out for diferent reasons, i like the look of isometric rpgs and dungeon crawlers, but ive never played one
I have downloaded a bunch of the usual suspects:
Fallout 1 & 2
Sanitarium
System shock 2
Deus Ex
Quake 1&2
Diablo1&2

But where should i start? and with what mentality?
To be perfectly honest i dont want to get frustrated and i know most of these games are infamous for their dificulty.
Are there any other must-plays im missing?
>>
Deus Ex a shit
>>
You want to play a SEMINAL game?
Play the FIRST System Shock, and see how every little thing that makes subsequent Spector games fun was taken from there or improved from there.
>>
>>378822674
Pick one at random and play
If you have fun keep playing, if you dont, dont
>>
>>378822674
>I want to get into the "golden age" of PC gaming.

play counter-strike 1.6 and quake 3 for the next ten years
>>
>>378822674
UT2004, Morowind, be prepared for the graphics/mechanics/controls to be clunky, and ugly, but also have a lot of style/charm
>>
>>378822674

Unreal Gold
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Doom, Doom II
Red Faction
HALF LIFE

Given that it seems you're skewing toward shooters.
>>
>>378823083
/thread
>>
>>378823201

Also Jedi Outcast
>>
Dropping a random list and then giving my 2 cents
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 (try to play the original versions not the enhanced editions)

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Morrowind

Alpha Centauri

Myst & Riven

Thief

Doom

Age of Wonders

Unreal Tournament

Homeworld
Here's my advice... There isn't any right or wrong way to go about this. Just pick something that appeals to you. Seriously trying to play this shit in some kind of chronological order is retarded and will only frustrate you. Video games are supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun move on. With the games you have now, and the one's I've listed you're sure to find something to enjoy.

Have fun OP.
>>
>>378823786
I'll check them out anon. Thanks man
>>
>>378823786
>>378824037
forgot to ask, whats wrong with the enhanced versions of baldurs gate?
>>
>>378824037
Seriously consider scoping out that Age of Wonders anon. It's really delightfully comfy. I'll post a link in a moment.
>>
>>378823083
/thread
>>
>>378824107
Eh It's mostly a personal taste thing for me personally. They changed the UI quite a bit, and not really for the better. The original just feels better if that makes sense. Plus you can mod the originals more. I recommend modding 1 & 2 into a single long ass game.
>>
Team Fortress Classic
Counter Strike 1.6
DOOM 1 and 2
HALF LIFE (and Opposing Force, i thought that one was good)
Age pf Empires 2
Roller Coaster Tycoon (added this because why not)
StarCraft
Quake 1-3

need I go on?
>>
>>378824534
never heard of it.
is it more AoE or Civ? Or neither?
>>
>>378824629
Stop samefagging for attention anon. We all read your post the first time.
>>
>I want to get into the "golden age" of PC gaming.
I'm so sorry anon, it's gone. You will never play these games when they were the most relevant.
>>
>>378822674
im relatively young (22) and tried to get into these games recently and couldnt enjoy any of them. i fucking love old gamecube and ps2 games though (and also never played them before)
>>
File: 1495514104341.jpg (713KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1495514104341.jpg
713KB, 2448x3264px
>>378824778
kys
>>
>>378822674
Quake 1 on hard is probably the most approachable game on that list really, you just have to get used to saving as the game doesn't have checkpoints at all. Diablo 1 and 2 are also fairly easily to get into. Deus Ex will piss you off if you try to play it like a shooter instead of an FPS RPG, Fallout 1 and 2 are a bit clunky but are fairly easy to get into once you learn how to use the UI, you might want to look up a character build for those games if you're having a hard time.

>>378823201
Seconding all of these games, Unreal Gold is one of the best single player FPS games and its really underrated as far as FPS games go.

>>378824756
Opposing Force is like the best HL game imo, shit's just so damn good.
>>
File: Screenshot-6.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-6.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>378824757
Hmmm... Neither really. It's kind of it's own thing entirely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders#Gameplay

https://mega.nz/#F!wl9j3JRC!DDot-vr5Rk5_8204S8RoBQ
>>
>>378825059
Fair enough.
>>
>>378822674
Play Deus Ex with the GMDX mod installed for your first playthrough.

Play System Shock 2 with the Shock Community Patch and maybe some grafix mods, then try Secmod for your future playthroughs: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

Quake is pretty great. Haven't gotten around to Fallout 1 or 2.
>>
>>378822674
>no ss1
>>
>>378822674
Don't play Quake 1 with the goal of eventually reaching some story reveal, climax or a change of pace, you'll only be disappointed. Enjoy the individual levels as you play through them.
>>
>>378824803
If you can't play Quake 1 then you must be retarded. I played Quake for the first time like 6 years ago and it quickly became one of my favorite FPS games.

Granted, older RPGs are kind of hard to get into, but if you struggle to play games that released in the late 90s to early 2000s then you just plain don't belong here.
>>
>>378822674
dx is the only game on that list that is good today
>>
>>378825062
AoW really is damn comfy. It's a shame an experienced player will know how to cheese out heroes/leaders to be OP. There's such great variety with the races and all of their units but they all become kind of moot if you've got multiple 10/10/10/10/20hp/50move point heroes with flying/haste.
>>
>>378825686
This is pure cynicism. Every game posted itt is a straight up masterpiece or damn near it. Fuck off with your useless negativity.
>>
>>378825686
>games become bad over time

Nah.

>>378825593
You play Quake for the fun levels and enemies, not for fucking narrative. It's a game and it doesn't pretend to be anything else.
>>
>>378825062
>Hmmm... Neither really. It's kind of it's own thing entirely.
It's really a turn based strategy game with tactical RPG style combat.

>>378825864
>>378825894
Fallout 1 & 2, Quake 2 and Sanitarium are boring games.

SS2, Quake and D1&2 are worth giving a shot.

Deus Ex is the only masterpiece and required playing on the list.
>>
Someone mentioned Thief, but I want to emphasize that they mean Thief Gold and Thief 2, not Thourf, the abomination of the series.
>>
The only PC games that have aged well are FPS
>>
>>378823083
>Play two shit nostalgia games.
No wonder nobody respects grandpa PClards.
>>
Kharak is burning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450
>>
>>378826070
I had just as much fun with Fallout 1 and 2 as I did with Deus Ex, and Quake 1 is one of the best FPS games made.

Granted, Quake 2 is pretty clunky and I don't like how it has backtracking.
>>
PLAY Z: STEEL SOLDIERS AND IMPERIUM GALACTICA 2 faggot OP
>>
>>378822674
Personally I had difficulty getting into Fallout. I started with 2 and played the first 2 hours 3 times until everything really clicked and I had a blast the entire way through.

For SS2 just the atmosphere alone should keep you into it until you understand the mechanics and such, at which point I couldn't put the game down until I gave shodan my girthy, throbbing, nah

And Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time. Every mechanic and design choice synergise to create a pitch perfect masterpiece.

As for mentality: a big reason these goes were praised were for pushing the envelope, being novel and original, introducing new mechanics and tropes so great that they've become expected. You can't see it that way however, so just look at how despite the technology being even a fraction as powerful as it is today these games give you more options, freedom, and "emergent gameplay moments" than anything coming out today.
>>
The 3 most essential PC games are Age of Mythology, Deus Ex, and Heroes of Might & Magic 3
>>
>>378822674
Quake 1/2 and SS2 will be the easiest to get into as they're the most polished mechanically, movement in Quake especially feels really really good even compared to contemporary games although personally I think Quake's shooting is horseshit compared to Doom, the enemies are animated very poorly and they flinch on a HP threshold basis instead of a damage per hit basis so a lot of the time you'll be pumping round after round into one of the chunkier enemies and they just won't react at all, it makes all of your weapons feel really weak.

Deus Ex is really difficult to get into, the combat gameplay is terrible, even with mods and none of the weapons are particularly enjoyable to use, the real draw is the level design and environmental interactivity and the loads of possible solutions to all of the game's scenarios, until it shits the bed in the final act that is. It gets a lot of praise for its story too which I don't think is warranted, it's really just a dumb conspiracy theory mashup, Human Revolution did a much better and more thorough job of exploring its themes.

Fallout 1 and 2 are punishingly difficult to start off with and they also both have a terrible UI, you'll also have to fuck with your colour settings and do a bunch of other stuff just to get them to run, I don't think they're worth the amount of effort you have to put into them for the enjoyment you'll get out.

I haven't played the others.

I'd also recommend Doom, Doom 2 and Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines for some golden era PC games, VTMB takes a lot of design cues from Deus Ex and IMO is much more enjoyable to play through and super immersive, although it too shits the bed in its final act, this is actually kind of a recurring theme when it comes to immersive sims

And Doom is just one of the most satisfying shooters ever made.
>>
>>378828978
Doom's enemies' pain state is based purely by chance, damage is not a factor. I don't know about the technical aspects in Quake, but based on my experience I assume the same is true. Ogres can fall on their ass with your first double shotgun blast or they may not fall at all until you kill them. Don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>378828978
Quake 1's enemies are intentionally spongy because they throw a lot less of them at you compared to Doom. A lot of people think Doom has better shooting but I personally prefer Quake's. That and I like Quake's level design more than Doom's, since Doom falls in love with mazes after a short while.

>Deus Ex is really difficult to get into, the combat gameplay is terrible, even with mods and none of the weapons are particularly enjoyable to use, the real draw is the level design and environmental interactivity and the loads of possible solutions to all of the game's scenarios

This is pretty true, this is also why you saw so many anons going "wtf this game sucks?" when the game went on a steam sale so many years ago. I personally rage quit Deus Ex when I thought it'd be like Half Life and tried to play it like a traditional FPS game. I did enjoy it a lot though once I started using stealth and went about finding non combat ways around the map.

Basically if you like RPGs and like games with stealth elements then you'll like Deus Ex, just don't treat it like Half Life or Red Faction.

>Fallout 1 and 2 are punishingly difficult to start off with and they also both have a terrible UI, you'll also have to fuck with your colour settings and do a bunch of other stuff just to get them to run, I don't think they're worth the amount of effort you have to put into them for the enjoyment you'll get out.

I'd completely disagree with you there. Fallout 1 is fairly forgiving at the start since it gives you a pistol and the nearest town has a guy you can recruit, they also aren't that hard to get running. Fallout 1 and 2 are still the only classic CRPGs I've played and I enjoyed them both a fucking ton.
>>
>>378830053
>I personally rage quit Deus Ex when I thought it'd be like Half Life and tried to play it like a traditional FPS game

Why? It basically plays the same as any other FPS. You have a gun, you run around and then you shoot some guys. I've never played DX as a stealth game and I don't understand why anyone would want to play it as a stealth game when the guns are so powerful.
>>
>>378831561
The guns start out super inaccurate, and the enemy AI during combat is laughably bad.
>>
File: wall_f1_7.jpg (603KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
wall_f1_7.jpg
603KB, 1024x768px
>>378822674
Don't ever ask and listen to advice from the faggots on /v/, OP (myself included).
They'll just shit on your game list and will recommend 20 even more shitty games.

On the topic tho..
For Fallout 1/2 try hi-res mod (some ppl like it, some don't.Completed the game without it once, but I totally like and recommend it) and unofficial patches. They polish the game pretty well and fix some broken stuff (Also NPC mod for F1 is pretty good too). Both games are great. Just don't be lazy and read the dialogues.

I would start with Diablo 2. First one is good too, but might be a bit boring if you haven't played the old games a lot. If pixels are hurting your eyes there should be some hi-res fix too somewhere,,

Quake 1/2 are both good. Second one is a bit more modern in therms of level design. Just get GLQuake or some source port with mouse look on by default for Q1. And some port with OGG soundtrack support (Yamagi Quake II) for Q2. Music was amazing there.

In therms of game mechanics DX aged well IMO. In therms of graphics - not so well. Get GMDX (v9 is on it's way) and remap controls before you'll start playing. It might be hard to get into it, but once you're in, there's lots of fun.
>>
File: 1494996105113.jpg (45KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1494996105113.jpg
45KB, 540x540px
>>378822674
>No morrrowind or return to castle wolfenstein
>no hexen 2

Either way, when you play, keep in mind that the games focus on puzzles and narrative, not graphics and flashy combat.
>>
>>378826393
How much cum do you consume each day?
>>
system shock 1 is a fabulous game and i'd recommend playing that first or at least before ss2

should check out shiny entertainments catalog. Sacrifice is a fantastic game unlike anything else. MDK, MDK2, good games

also check out westwood games, Nox, all the command and conquers they did

other suggestions:
severance: blade of darkness
jagged alliance 2
jedi outcast/academy
majesty
gothic 1 and 2 - play in order, absolutely fantastic rpgs
freelancer -still one of the best space sims
>>
>>378833198
>graphics whore
>has shit taste and shits on everyone else
Your kind is the vegans of vidya
>>
>>378822674
I have a few suggestions to add to that list.
Play freelancer. No space based game so far has been able to be half as good as freelancer
Also play the gothic series at least 1 and 2
>>
>>378833290
How is Hexen 2? I never see anyone talk about it and the little that I tried seemed okay but not all that amazing.
>>
>>378833897
Graphics whore? Seriously?
I've played most of these games (except DX and D2) on 14 inch screen and 640x480 resolution while you most likely was still shitting your pants.
And you want to know the fun thing? They actually looked good. Aside from displays being smaller back in the day, CRT screens got no sharp pixels on them, so we were basically getting nice and smooth analog AA.
These games look like shit on modern 24" LCD's. And if you're thinking otherwise you're just a blind masochist. There's nothing wrong with making old games look better on newer hardware.
>>
>>378824794
Morrowind and Gothic to see how much has atmosohere and worldbuilding fallen.
>>
>>378834492
Sad but true. Every RPG after 2001 that claims to have a living world is a fucking joke.
>>
It's now because PCs are so powerful and they still have access to every game.
>>
File: [010181].jpg (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
[010181].jpg
54KB, 300x300px
>System Shock 1
>Worth playing

Uh, no...
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.