[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>let's take one of the most creative game series of all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

File: DeusExHumanRevolutionCover.png (3MB, 1405x2194px) Image search: [Google]
DeusExHumanRevolutionCover.png
3MB, 1405x2194px
>let's take one of the most creative game series of all time and turn it into a cover shooter
>oh, and lets put in a lot of forced boss fights so stealth players get fucked in the ass
>also no melee weapons, no one liked using the Dragon Sword in Deus Ex 1 anyways
>>
Dragon Sword was OP. Anyways expect people to defend dudesex hr and say it was a good game to the series
>>
>>378800629
>forced boss fights so stealth players get fucked in the ass

The first two were piss easy & provided decent damage methods. Third let you OHKO without any guns if you didn't have that one upgrade & even if you did by that point you should have learnt to carry some weapons

Anyway, didn't they make them skippable in the director's cut? Heard it rumoured before the release but never followed up on it
>>
>>378800629
>let's take one of the most creative game series of all time and turn it into a cover shooter
The shooting mechanics in HR are so shit you end up going the stealth route anyway
>also no melee weapons, no one liked using the Dragon Sword in Deus Ex 1 anyways
Oh yes, The Dragon Sword, which could kill any enemy in 1-3 hits
>>
>>378800629
HR doesn't feel all that Deus Ex-y to me. It's a good action game in its own right, but I've always thought it would've been better off as its own thing.
>>
>>378800629
the answer to bosses was mines
>>
>>378800629
MD is the opposite, no bosses so exploration upgrades are the best and combat upgrades are 100% useless

both games weren't that great but gave us hope for the DX franchise
>>
Deus Ex HR is a good game in its own right.

Good story, comfy as fuck environments, good questing hubs, fun augments, etc.

the ending is gay tho
>>
Even if you consider how the nanosword was overpowered, they removed melee weapons entirely, if you were playing non lethal you'd stick to the good old baton or the prod, this variety was lost.

Also the takedowns of the Human revolution series are fucking awful. They take you out of the first person perspective and put you to watch those shitty fucking animations over and over and over, it really breaks the pace of the game too much for something that feels inferior to what was in the first game. What was wrong with sneaking up behind enemies, aiming the baton at their backs and putting them to sleep? Nothing. Now we have this shitty modernized system where you press a button something awesome happens, button awesome. Fuck off canadian developers, you're cancerous.
>>
>>378803292

HR was OK, its really good for one stealth playthrough but all of the other playstyles (which are less distinct since the game has less rpg mechanics overall) are less interesting and the game has terrible pacing especially near the end which kills the replayability. The story, although not as bad as MD, is still not that good and the disappearing girl and Illuminati plot did a better job of masking the #robolivesmatter plotline which was always present in the prequel series but less prominently retarded.

The main problem with HR is that it was always about a fantasy conflict in a Final Fantasy looking world, when Deus Ex was always about real world problems taking place in a world that was ostensibly ours.
>>
>>378804217
>sneak up behind someone
>press attack key
>they get knocked out
vs
>sneak up behind someone
>press attack key
>they get knocked out
what's the difference
>>
>>378804345

A 2-3 second scripted animation and less interactivity.
>>
>>378804463
What's more interactive about hitting someone in the back with a baton
It's still just one button push unless you fuck it up
>>
>>378804345
The other anon spelled out the difference though. HR and MD gave you a long ass cutscene every time you do it and they aren't even varied enough so you end up watching the same shit again and again. It's made even worse because they have a cut-to-black transition at the start. I understand what you mean in that you're still hitting a single button to get the same results in DX and the newer two games but the presentation is significantly different. I don't think the takedown animations would get as bad a rep if they were kept in a first person perspective and transitioned better, honestly.
>>
File: 1494728275513.jpg (95KB, 600x623px) Image search: [Google]
1494728275513.jpg
95KB, 600x623px
>wtf why isn't this exactly like the last game?
>>
>>378804345
>sneak behind someone
>aim your melee weapon at the correct place to put them to sleep with 1 hit
>hit the attack key
>they get knocked out

>sneak behind someone
>get anywhere near them, even running at them from the front
>hit a key
>woah, watch the character doing all this cool shit in this short cutscene, his arm fucking spins!

yeah right totally the same thing, the difference is that in the first I aimed where to hit with the enemy, in the second the game plays itself after a button prompt

In DX if you fucked up you couldn't sprint towards the enemy and knock him out with the naton because they tended to strafe erratically, while in HR you can just run at them and loltakedown
>>
>>378804463
MD improved it a little bit, takedowns take stamina so you can't walk up to everyone in close range and nothing personal them
>>
>>378804796
I dunno I did plenty of running right up to someone and prodding them
>>
>>378800629
>>let's take one of the most creative game series of all time and turn it into a cover shooter
Oh are we really going to pretend like the combat in the original Deus Ex was some sort of miracle of game design?
>>
>>378804532

>unless you fuck it up

Bingo you just got it. One requires performing a precise action with the chance of failure and maintains continuity in the primary playing perspective, the other involves pressing a button when near an enemy to dispatch them in an automated manner with a repetitive scripted animation that requires no input on the part of the player.
>>
>>378804217
That's usually the problem I have with takedown animations or executions. Cool in theory, and maybe the first few times you watch them they're nice, but they start getting tedius. I liked DOOMs just because the Glory Kills were usually pretty fast.
>>
>>378804850

That was how it worked in HR.
>>
>>378804957
>One requires you to press a button, and if you do it wrong you'll get caught
>The other requires you to press a button, and if you do it wrong you'll get caught
>>
I want there to be a Deus Ex type game that goes way over the top.

You got an inkling of that by the end of the original Deus Ex where your healing augments were so strong that you could run at an enemy who was spraying at you with a machine gun and you could tank it.

Basically like Revengeance done in the Deus Ex universe. Give us some nanomachines that can do magical shit, like nanomachines that make a copy of a nearby cell and then destroy it and the nanomachines are flung to a different location where your body is rebuilt 1:1 to simulate a teleporting technique. I want to see shit like that.
>>
>Only 1 battery recharges
>>
>>378801567
I just threw blue c4 at the bosses and moved on to the next area, even in give me deus ex.
>>
>>378804853

Yeah but it takes 2 maybe even 3 prods depending on melee skill if you do it like that, and during this whole time you could be killed because everything occurs in real time rather taking place in a separate pocket cut-scene dimension where everything freezes in place. You can kill entire armies with melee because the play is in invincible cut-scene mode every time you do an attack. It really kills the suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>378805119
It was possible to fuck up a takedown in HR? It was possible in MD against the exo suit dudes but I didn't know it was possible in HR too. How?
>>
>>378800629
i finished this for the first time today. was pretty good.
>>
>>378805080
and glory kills were not necessary to do, in Human Revolution series, you kinda have to use takedowns if you wanna do non-lethal/stealth run, what else are you going to do, fill your inventory with 50 slots of tranquilizer darts and the stun gun? Not even sure if that's feasible
>>
>>378805119

Failed comparison, the other one is an automatic button prompt that auto-solves the problem. The only failure would be not deciding to press the button.
>>
>>378800629
still liked it
>>
>>378800629
>cover shooter
Not defending hr but, I guess you use chest hide walls to hide but there's not a lot of shooting to be done, specially if you're doing a stealth run
I beat this game on the hardest difficulty without a single Aug upgrade except the ones the game gave to me by default, saved Malik, got pacifist and foxiest of hounds all in 1 playthrough.

you never find yourself in a position where you get fucked over in this game
>>
>>378804881

No but it correlated effectively with your rpg growth, which is what was asked of rpg games at the time. Human Revolution doesn't have any rpg combat systems so it just has its 3rd person shooting mechanics.
>>
More like walking through vents and reading emails simualtor. Still fun as fuck and it ran on my old chinkbook. Wish I finished it
>>
>>378805990
there's still time, adam
>>
I think the prequel with more advanced tech levels bothered me more than anything, that and the less "real life" conspiracy feel, Deus Ex feels like its about its dystopic world while HR just feels like a transhumanist wank.
>>
>>378805990

The DLC is the best part and then the game drops off hard.
>>
>>378805851
except for all the augmentations that affect combat, you mean
>>
>>378806320
everything in HR/MD feels one note, it's all about augs augs augs, augs augs augs augs augs, aug sports, aug final fantasy, augs makes you better at flipping burgers, aug this aug that, augs will make you a better salesman, aug penis, slick looking augs on a street bum, aug apartheid, aug racism, aug terrorism, aug purity, aug

Characters both in MD and HR don't even feel like people save for very few exceptions. They're all minor vehicles for exposition related to the MUH AUGS shitty theme. Their turned what was a backdrop thing in DX into their own quasi x-men shit, and it's horrible. Even Invisible War has better writing than those newer games.
>>
>the year is 2027

meanwhile in real life we won't have shit
>>
>>378808012
we'll get all the get all the shitty authoritarian parts, but none of the cool stuff, business as usual
>>
>>378808012
augs already exist
>>
>>378808151
>>378808012
Real life is getting extremely cyberpunkish. I was reading today how those future cars will be able to read you, be able to tell if you're happy or sad.

A lot of technological progress these days has been walking side by side with totalitarianism.
>>
>>378807258

HR has a power up system but no real rpg character development system. I.e. you can use some augs to minimize spread and leap off buildings but your character is proficient at every skill and weapon from the word go so there's never any decisions you have to make about improving your stealth or combat skills as your character is good at all of them already so its just about taking less damage, making the hacking puzzles easier or gaining special moves like turning invisible or the typhoon. No actual rpg mechanics.
>>
>>378808440
The unlocks make stealth easier, unlock different paths through levels, and allow different speech options
>>
>>378808521

Yeah you're right, its lock and key stuff. You have the filter aug so now you can take the poison gas tunnel path, or the broken wall path. None of it is really character building in the traditional rpg sense.
>>
I wonder how long Deus Ex is going to stay dead for this time
>>
>>378807258
>>378808521
He's right, you don't even build your character like you do in Deus Ex. HR is all about getting pretty much fucking everything, while in DX you need to make choices. Do you want to be able to do a lot of damage in melee or be able to lift heavy objects? There's no two ways around it. In HR you can get pretty much everything, and you don't really need to pick between different augs for different playstyles. Even Invisible War had you making more choices when it comes to building your character than HR or MD.
>>
>>378808693

Hopefully whenever it does come back it won't be designed by Canadians.
>>
>>378808297
Through hacks and not proper brain computer interfaces.

The world of deus ex had progress like the huge cities because augs existed to build those in some limited timespan.

as for reality something like "Darrow Deficiency Syndrome" would happen because glial scaring does occur with electronic implants. This is still under research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_electrode_implant

That's why we don't have augs. The ones we have now use electric signals generated from the nerves around your skin to improvise movement but it's not precise and limited.

In the deus ex world neuropozyne was the all in one fix for that. Of course production and distribution was controlled by the Illuminati.
>>
HR was okay. Not on the level of the first game but it has its moments.
>>
>oh, and lets put in a lot of forced boss fights so stealth players get fucked in the ass

At least this was fixed eventually.
>>
File: lucius debeers.png (254KB, 598x629px) Image search: [Google]
lucius debeers.png
254KB, 598x629px
What happened to his accent?
>>
>>378805139

Invisible War has a lot of crazy augs, like a drone that degrades dead humans into health or the one that gives melee attacks EMP shocks so you can beat the shit out of cameras and security bots with the baton, and you can more or less tank enemies machine guns because guns are underpowered and the baton hits really fast and hard.

A shame that the levels are very small with only a few oponents and that the game is really short, also your character "runs" like a turtle without the speed aug and that the PC port randomly bugs out crashes even with fan patches
>>
>>378810357
the idea to revisit those villains was bad, they might think it's cool to show some nostalgia bait, but what this effectively does is to limit the scope of their story to a point the ending would be meaningless

we know Bob Page is still alive and kicking in Deus Ex, so whatever Adam & co do about him will have much less impact. Human Revolution worked well because they didn't have to design it around existing material, it worked well to expand the universe, even if their writing is quite subpar.

They should've dumped Adam and the story near the events of the original, and expanded the universe of the IP, maybe with a nanoaug era game unrelated to the original Deus Ex, make it take place in some areas the original didn't explore or so.
>>
>>378809064
French Canadians.

If there is another one, just let it go to people who actually love the ip, not people who see it as a hanger for all their wicked cool concept art and transhumanist pseudowank
>>
>>378810674

The problem is that Square wanted to make an iconic character out of Adam but no protagonist in DX is interesting enough for that.
>>
File: 1465535567308.jpg (20KB, 592x372px) Image search: [Google]
1465535567308.jpg
20KB, 592x372px
>>378810830
>>378810885
Why does everybody keep putting pointless spaces in their posts? What's wrong with you?
>>
>>378800629

>game gives you the option of combat vs stealth
>stealth is easier and gives you more rewards

what did they mean by this?
>>
>>378800629
uh, the DTS broke the first game. hopefully GMDX update will remove it altogether.
>>
>>378811223

What is the DTS?
>>
>>378811137
Enter keys running the board.
>>
>>378811383
dragons tooth sword
>>
>>378811615

The dragon tooth sword is one of the most fun parts of the original Dues Ex. DX is not a multiplayer game it doesn't need to be "balanced for fairness"
>>
>>378811920

>single player games don't need to be balanced

nice meme
>>
>>378812007

Deus Ex doesn't. If it were a brawler or a twitch shooter yeah maybe but some single player games can have overpowered parts and be enjoyable for it.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.