[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did the last guardian fail? i thought people were hyped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

why did the last guardian fail?
i thought people were hyped for this game...
>>
I remember this piece of shit being hyped and shilled left and right during almost 10 years
>>
>the last guardian flopped meme

Can we stop this?
>>
How did it fail?

It's a great game.
>>
>>378750936
it didnt do so well critically, and it sold like shit
>>
>>378750307
Why do you always make the same thread every week?

Anyway it did not fail....
>>
>>378750307
Constant reminders which buttons to press to do things killed immersion and raped its corpse.
>>
File: 1495922344758.jpg (22KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
1495922344758.jpg
22KB, 300x290px
>sonyggas relying on new games
>hyped about another gayass ico game that was cancelled and had no fucking gameplay when it was first revealed
>online retards wanted it back, probably neofag influenced sony which was about 1000 people
>continue game
>only neofags buy it
>>
>>378750307
>why did the last guardian fail?
As much as I personally despise this "can't live up to the hype" logic, the reality is that the Last Guardian was carrying impossibly big expectations after the many years of wait and the cult-like status of their previous games.

When it came out, it was just merely... OK. It did not shake the world like SotC, the obviously troubled development process left a few scars on the game, in general it's in a difficult spot.
>>
>>378750791
>>378750936
>>378751068
>Its not a failure because I personally liked it
As >>378751007 said, it was panned critically and bombed. Add a decade of hype and fanboysim and you have one of the harshest failures in gaming.
>>
>>378751436
>Its not a failure because it sold better than the other Ueda games
fixed retarded shitposter
>>
I always knew it was going to be shit because it wasn't on a scale as epic as Shadow of the Colossus was.

It's just some stupid puzzle game.
>>
>>378751436
It sold better than Ico and Shadow of the Colossus combined.
>>
>>378751901
SotC is the same shit, you just got tricked by the visuals and music.
>>
>>378752161

It was good tasting shit.
>>
>>378750791
Low review scores, an almost immediate price drop that hovers around $30, and most stores are still overstocked.

This is Gravity Rush all over again. Once there is a Black Friday discount, it will be sold out everywhere.
>>
>>378750307
Hype alone is never enough. If the game is horribly flawed and poorly designed, then no amount of hype can save it.

>climbing up the beast was often jittery as fuck and wasted a lot of time
>the beast often took too long to respond to button commands
>the platforming was frustratingly poor and finicky
>the camera was stubborn and had a mind of its own
>the story was uninteresting and was introduced far too late into the game

Considering all that, what positives are left? Nice art and decent graphics? That's not enough to sustain the game. The actual important part of the game, the gameplay, should have been fucking tight, and instead it was a sloppy mess that took any pleasure I could have felt out of the gaming experience.

That's why this shit fails even after all the hype. Hype doesn't make a quality product.
>>
I enjoyed it. But the industry standards changed and what once made PS2 epics are not pretty much the standard for a good indie game. It would be another iconic game if it came out a decade ago.
>>
When are you fags gonna stop with this "SotC was good" meme?
>>
>>378752516
That could be interesting, explain the details that make you say so.
>>
>>378751007
>single player only puzzle game didnt outsell Battlefield

Surprising
>>
>>378750307
>i thought people were hyped for this game
10 years will kill any hype, plus the game itself wasn't that good.
>>
>>378752669
Take Katamari for example. It was a sensation when it came out that got sequels on as many platforms as possible in a short time. But looking at it now it would be the type of thing you'd see for a few bucks on Humble Bundle or even Android/iOS. People just expect a larger scope for games now, with multiplayer, replayability, etc. A short, single player puzzle game isn't going to stick around for long when even AAA games that get hyped for years vanish after a few months.
>>
>>378752669
Just play a few late PS2 classics, it would fit right in there.
>>
>>378753045
final fantasy xv lasted for 10 years (and I know thats a completely different game, appealing to broader audience)
>>
>>378750307
>Sony sold thousands of PS3 and PS4s on this games back
>It never even came out on the PS3
>When it eventually did come out, it turned out to be shit
>Everyone just ignores this and is okay with it
What the fuck? This shit is a bigger blunder and a ball of lies than TORtanic yet everyone just ignores it.
>>
Too long
The Selling point of the thing acting like a real animal also didn't help since it could've very much be uncooperative for stretches of time turning people off

And even with 10 years it didn't run smoothly at all
>>
>>378750307
Too little too late.
>>
File: 1409694365584.jpg (53KB, 517x572px) Image search: [Google]
1409694365584.jpg
53KB, 517x572px
>>378750791
It wasn't a critical darling like Shadow of the Colossus or ICO (ICO doesn't deserve any praise IMO), but the final nail was the game being discounted to 40-30 dollars after 2 months in the market. The Last Guardian was a flop, it's so unmemorable that it's reached Mirror's Edge Reboot levels of "oh that came out?".
>>
>>378753524
>Final fantasy XV
>Square enix mega series comparable to literal who studios
>>
>>378751376
>the Last Guardian was carrying impossibly big expectations
How do you mean?
Everyone who played ICO and SotC should know exactly what to expect.
>>
>>378753590
>it turned out to be shit
There's really nothing wrong with it, it's the typical Ueda game.
>>
>>378755910
It's the /v/ syndrome, everything that it's not an immortal classic is shit.
>>
>>378750307
>10 years of hype
>forgotten in a month
>no one remembers it
Sad.
>>
>>378750307
it was matthewmatosis favorite game of 2016 so everyone who didn't like it is just a pleb
>>
>>378756438
Go away matthew. I thought you were banned for viral marketing your channel.
>>
Because PS4 has a bunch of good games and no one buys them. Sony hasn't been able to sell software since the PS2 days. I don't know what normies are buying consoles for. Xbone is dogshit in terms of games, but if you're not going to play exclusives they are the same machine
>>
It's honestly a really frustrating game. I get that Trico isn't supposed to be fully controllable, but beckoning him to do shit rarely works. It's so fucking clunky and annoying, but part of me assumes that did that intentionally.
>>
File: Trico.jpg (91KB, 640x371px) Image search: [Google]
Trico.jpg
91KB, 640x371px
I really enjoyed it but it was always going to be a niche game so the surprise to market it heavily was a bit surprising to me. It's really not in the time right now, a linear puzzle game that involves interacting with a purposfully wonky AI. The art design was stellar though. For me it's not as good as SotC but stronger than Ico.
>>
Sounds more like somebody here got caught up in the 'hype', or bandwagoned with the cult status of Shadow of the Colossus, and had no idea what the games were actually like in the first place, and was disappointed when they didn't get something preposterous. I mean, what the fuck did people expect out of a AA studio known for making the exact kind of game we got?
>>
>>378752071
Does that account for market growth? No? Didn't think so. Back to middle school with ya lad.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.