[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is God in most games not God at all? >Silent Hill: Some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

File: Datatsushi.jpg (22KB, 264x380px) Image search: [Google]
Datatsushi.jpg
22KB, 264x380px
Why is God in most games not God at all?

>Silent Hill: Some demon that every calls "god"
>Forbidden Siren: Some Alien in pic
>Fire Emblem (Echoes/Gaiden for example): Fucking Dragons
>Xenosaga: U-DO
>Final Fantasy 6 ( and maybe 7 with sephiroth)?: A clown who ascended godhood
>>
File: YHVH.png (128KB, 600x489px) Image search: [Google]
YHVH.png
128KB, 600x489px
There's always SMT if you want to kill The God.
>>
>>378744079
Why is he a head?

Also to add on with op, you could also argue that The Elder Scrolls doesnt really have gods, like Talos for example
>>
>>378744227
Why not? YHVH whole shtick is that he managed to remain more abstract than the lesser deities, thus his power isn't limited as much.
>>
>>378743882
What do you think GOD should look like then?
>>
>>378743882
>Why is God in most games not God at all?
So, tell me, how is God?
>>
>>378743882
Because "God" in abrahamic religions is more of a concept and thus very hard to get right in a video game. And buddism doesn't have any actual god's as far as I know.
>>
>>378744079
But he isn't the God, he's a demon whose attained more power than anything and likes to throw his weight around. The Great Will is the only real god in SMT.
>>
File: asuras wrath extend arm.png (1MB, 680x1291px) Image search: [Google]
asuras wrath extend arm.png
1MB, 680x1291px
>>378744079
And Asura's Wrath
>>
>>378744536
He is the abrahamic God YHVH. The Great Will doesn't even have a will of its own. It's just universe itself, ether if you will.
>>
>>378744410
>>378744419
>>378744441
Nah nah I mean like an actual entity that isnt later revealed to not be a god in the examples I provided

Like think of god of war, in that game there are gods and goddesses
>>
File: Omegasystem.jpg (844KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Omegasystem.jpg
844KB, 1440x1080px
>U-DO
>not a god

Its a consciousness the size of a universe that exists outside and above our in. In order to interact with said universe it had to use tiny avatars of itself to prevent shit from breaking and everyone going insane. What kind of definition of god are you looking for, OP?
>>
>>378744079
>>378743882

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2op9bM-bo
>>
>>378744632
But in SMT he's not a omnipotent being, he's just playing the part, its just another demon like all the others, just a really really strong one.
>>
>>378744816
>not a omnipotent being
As opposed to the """real""" God? If he's so omnipotent, why does 4chan still exist?
>>
>>378743882
because "god" is entirely subjective
>>
File: Not_Your_Buddy_Jesus[1].jpg (75KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Not_Your_Buddy_Jesus[1].jpg
75KB, 640x480px
>>378744886
Because God loves fun.
>>
>>378743882
I think cuz it's exciting to see the reveal of what their crazy ass minds has deemed a god. It's always cool to see the reveal of some abomination that these people gotta be so deranged to be okay to summon or worship.

Sorry if I'm not getting my point across, I'm not very eloquent
>>
File: 1-800-come-on-now.png (40KB, 228x316px) Image search: [Google]
1-800-come-on-now.png
40KB, 228x316px
>>378744227
Why wouldn't he be ahead compared to everyone else? He's the big boss.
>>
>>378744227
>its another "there are only 8 divines" faggot
>>
>>378744886
I'm just saying, even in SMT its not any different than Deus in Xenogears, its just a big monster at level 100 telling everyone he's god.
>>
>>378744663
Oh I get it.
Well, you got to understand that many think God doesn't exist. Hence when they put "God" in a piece of fiction (a novel, movie or videogame), they tend to show you how it's not really God and how God is simply a construct of human beings.
This idea is very spread so that's the answer to your question.
>>
>>378745045
actually that really works if its a horror game too

Too bad its a common horror trope too
>>
>>378743882
Did you notice that you only listed Japanese games? So the reason might be that the Japanese have a wider definition of "God" and don't just assume the Abrahamic "One God" stance?
>>
>>378745102
It would be meaningless to include an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God in a video game. Especially as an opponent. The very idea of such a being discredits itself. If there's a benevolent omnipotent God, why does the protagonist need to save the world? And if the God is evil, why does the protagonist even get the chance to act before getting erased from existence?
>>
>>378743882
As soon as you represent God as a physical entity, it isn't God anymore by definition.
>>
>>378743882

it's almost as if ''God'' was just a vague term to define something all powerful that we don't understand.
>>
>>378745238
See God of War
>>
>>378743882
it's not even a demon either. Clearly SH are 2deep for most people to not realize this simple fact.
>>
>>378745238
Why can't God just be like you got this MC?
>>
>>378745436
Then what is it?
>>
>>378744816
The Jew God isn't really the absolute omnipotent prime mover of Catholic theology. He's more the "big dude with a lot of weight" type. He even gets hurt in the old testament, you know.
>>
>>378745886
>even gets hurt in the old testament
I need a source for that senpai, cuz I dont remember reading that
>>
>>378745970
Could have sworn there was something about Nimrod shooting an arrow toward God and him feeling hurt about it, but I guess I was wrong.
>>
File: sh1 1080p altar other church.jpg (474KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p altar other church.jpg
474KB, 1920x1080px
>>378745701
Gigantic spoiler for those who've not played the original trilogy:

The "god" as you SEE it in SH1 is just a physical manifestation of Alessa's image of the thing (let's call it a "demon") tormenting her body and mind, and keeping her alive, born through her own natural psychic powers that allow her to make things happen with just her mind. Dahlia used this skill + the town's old powers to plant a "seed" of what she considered to be "God" inside Alessa; you could even say she just brainwashed her to believe that she was pregnant with a god-thing, and her childish mind made it happen.

However, such young child being exposed to spooky religious imagery and teachings of an extremist, Christianity-based cult with lots of shady businesses, on top of her overall rough childhood with school bullying and overall isolation, clearly twisted the idea of "God" inside her head, turning it into a monster. The creature that is born from within her when exposed to the Aglaopthotis is literally 1:1 image of the old Incubus demon seen in the church's books and in the paintings at the "Other Church", all which was inspired by the IRL demon seen in Jewish books.

Dahlia clearly wanted Alessa to "become" the Goddess in the end, as evident by the "Bad" ending bossfights, where Alessa herself appears as thunderbolt-throwing, glowing saint. The forbidden red liquid just exorcized the false god-thing out of her body, or rather made it more mad and transformed her into the very image of Incubus.

tl;dr: There never was a real "God" nor "demons". Just physical manifestations of horrors spawn from psyche of a young girl, who was exposed to religious mumbojumbo and mistreated all her life.
>>
>>378745970
Dunno about pain, but he gets stopped by chariots of iron
>>
>>378746443
>implying Alessa wasn't raped and the god of SH isn't her actual child turned demon
>>
>>378746579
>using examples from the subpar movie
>>
>>378746579
While a possibility, I don't think 7 year-olds are even physically capable of giving birth, or being knocked up for that mater.
>>
>>378746848
Eh, it can happen in some rare cases of premature puberty.
>>
>>378744663
Well it's a popular twist that something believed to be a God is just the construct of man or something else. But if greek mythos figures counts as gods then we have plenty of exemples. Okami, the Zelda games, Dark Souls, Age of Mythology...the question is really where we draw the line of what a "god" really is. If the greek pantheon was created today they could just as well be video game characters with their distinct personalities. The only notion of God that has really stood the test of time is god as an abstract concept or an unseen, unmeasurable energy.
>>
japs are obsessed with gnosticism and the idea of the demiurge
>>
>>378743882
To rev up hype.
It's a bit like threatening to "destroy Earth" or "kill humanity". Instead of coming up with something more personal and well-defined it's easier to instead use something more vague and universally relatable.
>>
>>378746443
Heather is Alessa, right?
Why doesn't she have any powers?
>>
>>378743882
All Japanese games. GGEZ. Learn to other cultures, dude. Also, SMT.
>>
In SH it's the cult that uses the term 'god,' but it's more like a demon that they worship.
>>
>>378748412
Would the power of never ending reincarnation count?
>>
>why is God god and also an alien?

Lovecraft my dude
>>
>>378748689
I'll allow it.
>>
File: god.png (606KB, 799x598px) Image search: [Google]
god.png
606KB, 799x598px
>>378743882
Not only is she a god but also the best girl in her game
>>
Combat-heavy games where you kill actual deities tend to make them really lukewarm in delivery 99% of the time. If some nobody faggot can get "power" and use it to slay literal Abrahamic God, it kills any and all intrigue at them being almighty and all-powerful. They just come the biggest baddie in a world full to the neck with baddies. Disgaea 4 handled it best.
>Pissed off the all-creator with a rebellion against their heaven equivalent
>It sends a tiny piece of itself at the party, which is extremely powerful
>The party beats it and celebrates their victory over God and believes themselves to be without match
>God reaches out into innumerable recesses of reality and calls upon 8 million gods to defeat the party, who start showing signs of panicked exhaustion after a few hundred thousand have been defeated. Note that in Disgaea, every character's potential power is absolutely ridiculous
>>
>>378749376
wait

what game is this from?

also is that a giant vagina?
>>
File: Ilias a cute!.png (104KB, 357x227px) Image search: [Google]
Ilias a cute!.png
104KB, 357x227px
>>378749774
Why would goddess that's going to purge world from monsters need giant vagina?
>>
>>378744227
>like Talos for example
Imperial Cuck detected
>>
>>378750398
To...uhhhh, repopulate?
>>
>>378750414
but he isnt though, he's just some guy everyone hails as a god king
>>
File: 99.99% human.png (291KB, 346x568px) Image search: [Google]
99.99% human.png
291KB, 346x568px
>>378750630
She has humans 2.0 for this
>>
>>378743882

Well you already hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>378743882
Because they're gods not God. God would be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, kinda hard to put him in a game with that.
>>
>>378743882
Because it's the concept of a relatively superior beings in charge of controlling / fucking with relatively inferior beings, like, you know, 99% of religions.
>>
could be worse, god could just be a very powerful mage or some gay shit
>>
>>378744891
*relative
>>
>>378743882
This looks like it could be Kos from Bloodborne
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.