[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are inns in RPGs a thing? Why not hospitals? It's not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: inn.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
inn.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
Why are inns in RPGs a thing? Why not hospitals?

It's not like sleeping for one night can heal severe injuries, because a troll tried to fucking crush you to death.

Were there really no hospitals in the middle ages?
>>
>>378740498
Because DnD
>>
>>378740498
monasteries filled the function of hospitals in the middle ages, and it'd be confusing with the church, plus it's less likely to have a monastery that an inn in small towns.
>>
>>378740498
My idea guy JRPG has clinics.

Inns are used like Lost Odyssey; the player can rest there and choose scenarios from various characters backstories to play through after doing various things in the story. In turn since sleeping at the inn would cost money, playing through these scenarios would grant various in-game rewards
>>
>>378740498
Middle ages hospitals were fucking horrible, full of disease and corpses and amputated limbs and rats

At least you can dress up an inn to look cozy and appealing and you can get decent food and booze there, as well as filling it with all kinds of random folks (questgivers etc) who you wouldn't necessarily find in a hospital
>>
>>378740498
Inns are more comfy and approachable than a clinic
>>
Were inns a thing in medieval times? I feel like most people didn't travel too much.
>>
>>378741706
Yes
Where do you think the idea of a "pub" comes from
>>
>>378741706
People were always travelling
Especially for pilgrimage
>>
>>378740498
I've always wondered if there was a time when an average person could afford to live in an inn/hotel, like you see in RPGs.
>>
>>378742467
>>378742120
This is why I never passed history
>>
>>378741467
This. Historically, in a lot of places, hospitals were where people went to due.
>>
>>378740498
The Lord of the Rings
>>
>>378740498
Medieval's idea of healing was "put leeches on it".
>>
>Mother
>>
>>378744674
>Drink the morning piss of a kid
>Here, eat these grounded up jade, but only if you're rich
>Use these whips on yourself and walk from to town to town to repent the plague away
>Go sit in the sewer so the rancid smell will chase the disease off
Medieval medicines were basically scam, you are much better off just drink the pain away and die
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.