[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In other words, DotA 2 is making a shit ton of money we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 21

File: Untitled.png (317KB, 749x455px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
317KB, 749x455px
In other words, DotA 2 is making a shit ton of money we are missing out on.
>>
>competing company actually starts making a dent on the current number 1
>current number 1 company realizes that it needs to step up its shitty services and does so

Do you not understand how this shit works?
>>
>>378728139
>Spent 8 years making a shitty fucking client
>Dota 2 was able to make 2 whole clients in 5 years
Holy shit, how incompetent are these faggots?
>>
File: 1495388643741.jpg (99KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1495388643741.jpg
99KB, 1024x768px
>>378728514
>forgetting Valves hand and infrastructure in this

I wonder too.
>>
>>378728139
I don't really trust riot when it comes to programming. What does it add that the dota 2 client doesn't already have?
>>
>>378728852
I don't know anything about DotA, but the new League client doesn't let you create or change item sets like the old one did.
>>
Has LOL implemented a replay system or are they still missing that?
>>
It's actually kind of impressive how incompetent riot is. They have one thousand employees and one product but they can still barely release anything.
>>
>>378729640
There's a good chance that the majority of that thousand is not even involved in the game. I bet most of them are involved with partnerships or statisticians figuring out how to grind more money out of the players by implementing addictive and cancerous progression mechanics.

It's how Xynga works - the majority of that company is psychologists and statisticians figuring how how to steal and make the most addicting product.
>>
>>378729640
I'm pretty sure you can get to a point where having more people work on a project actually hinders it. three years ago Dota 2 only have like 40 people working on it. (I have no idea about the numbers now)
>>
What did they do this time?
>>
File: 3054247-overwatch_jeffkaplan_01.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3054247-overwatch_jeffkaplan_01.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>he thinks valve is making more money on dota 2
>he doesnt know lol dominates the market completely,
>>
>>378730157
>he doesn't understand how much money microtransactions actually make
seriously, my dude?
i wouldn't be surprised if candy crush made more money than both games together
>>
There isn't even a reason to play LoL. If you're going to plug in hundreds of hours to learn the genre then you might as well start with the one that has the most depth and skill, while being the most rewarding (Dota). It also has the least cancerous micro transactions because it's only cosmetic.

LoL is such a pile of trash it honestly embarrasses me when anyone tries to vouch for it
>>
>>378729317
That's actually getting patched in within a few hours
>>
>>378729472
It's there. Basically Riot culled a shitload of dead weight employees from the company and they started rushing out a crapload of stuff in the past year.
>>
>>378730157
Yeah but Chinese don't count as people.
>>
File: DBKxM0sXcAA8PnP.jpg large.jpg (389KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DBKxM0sXcAA8PnP.jpg large.jpg
389KB, 2048x1536px
>>378730580
>>378730227
>insecure people who have wasted their lives playing the wrong game
how sad must you be?
>>
>>378728514
>being even slower than Valve to implement features in a client
That's pretty fucking bad, actually
>>
>>378730656
>implying i play that shit
at least you admitted you were wrong, and I was right.
>>
>>378728852

like what, russian drug addicts?
>>
>>378730251
>LoL is such a pile of trash it honestly embarrasses me when anyone tries to vouch for it
I like video games, but you might be a bit TOO into them if you're getting emotional over what other people play

I know this is /v/ and all, and autism reigns, but really.
>>
>>378730701
uh what? its proven lol dominates market
it makes more in 1 day than what dota2 makes in like a month
>>
>>378730801
prove it, cock smoker
>>
>>378730701
Anon, it doesn't matter if LoL is shit. It dominates because of China, and isn't going anywhere. They really get into weird shit.
>>
File: LoL clients v1.png (2MB, 2834x1106px) Image search: [Google]
LoL clients v1.png
2MB, 2834x1106px
new LoL client looks like a facebook iphone app
classic champ select was so clear compared to the new one, you don't know what the fuck is going on and it's very easy to get kicked off the game by not picking your char or banning. Very sad.

Fresh OC faggots
>>
>>378730801
>it makes more in 1 day than what dota2 makes in like a month
Is that why they're copying the price mechanics of TI now for their World's? LUL3D
>>
>>378730780
You can't really take something with a grain of salt after being on this shit board for how long? And my point still stands, it's like choosing between chess or some stupid version of chess that your friend made with fabricated rules. LoL is a complete disgrace to anyone that has that much time to spend on this genre
>>
>>378730820

5 seconds in google

https://nowloading.co/posts/3916216

DoTa 2 isnt even in the Top 3
>>
>>378731004
They're probably doing that because Valve proved that ASSFAGGOTS fans will throw away money in the most retarded way, and they want to get in on that action.

Why would they NOT do that?
>>
>>378728139
It annoys me that LoL players have never been able to differentiate between their store/lobby/chat frontend that written in Flash and the game client itself.
>>
>>378728732
60 people worked on Dota 2 at the peak of source 1. Tencent have billions of billions of people working on the game.
>>
>>378731025
Anon, MOBAs/ARTS/ASSFAGGOTS is the most autistic genre there is. Anyone who likes ANY version of it is a disgrace.

You're just punching at other retards on the short bus.
>>
>>378731035
funny, that article didn't mention how much money the games made.
could you point to where it says that for me?
i'm sure it'll only take you another 5 seconds
>>
>>378730060
Now that they have a division to take care of majors they are over the hundreds. But actual Valve employee sure not changed much from that.
>>
>>378731113

Valve is cutting corners on every occasion.
If i had a problem with Riot ( bug occured, IP diassapeared ) i wrote them and they answeres ASAP

I had few issues with Valve/Steam and it took days and weeks for them to respond with an automated E-Mail saying i reported to the wrong guy
>>
>>378731035
That's number of players, not money figures like the other dude pointed out.
>>
>>378731113
They even specifically say in the image a hundred thousand people worked on just testing the new client. That's how massively bloated and incompetent Riot's team is.
>>
>>378730956
>Teal fucking everywhere
It's an eyesore
>>
>>378731084
>They're probably doing that because Valve proved that ASSFAGGOTS fans will throw away money in the most retarded way, and they want to get in on that action.
And it took them 6 years to see it when it has been going on since the beginning? Sure anon
>>
>>378728139
DotA 2 is valve pretending they care. It's just a ruse, and it's ironic that it blows LoL HoN, HotS out of the water. They are not actually competing with them in the Moba market. It is just anoyher cog in the great steam machine, designed to attract more users to their platform and further secure their monopoly. Remember, when devs and investors see their playerbase they put more games and money in the company. Devs think they have better chance of selling their game on the platform with the largest playerbase, and Valve takes 30% of each sell. Free games attract gullible underage, and the moba genre is the most cancerous and therefore most effective in attracting kids. You can even add non-steam games into steam, foreshadowing valve's complete dominance as a platform. Valve literally doesn't give a shit about underdogs like Riot Memes because they can just shit out another underage attractor
>>
>>378731206
Valve is a private company, Riot is owned by Tencent wich is a Corporation. They have representatives in many countries while Valve relies on the communities
>>
>>378731280
>hating on Teal
calm down, artour
>>
Why isn't this game dead yet? I never hear about it other than poor Asian kids talking about it and the front page of Twitch.
>>
>>378731035
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1447874312552.png (591KB, 1112x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447874312552.png
591KB, 1112x1200px
Riot is owned 100% by Tencent now. LoL is literally just a cash cow at this point, which is why I quit it after they kept changing the game around and shilling costumes constantly. Even solo ranked is literally there to lure people into grinding for ranks when it's just there to keep them playing. The game changed too much and we could never sit on a single meta or patch for more than a month.
>>
>>378730060
>I'm pretty sure you can get to a point where having more people work on a project actually hinders it.
too many cooks
>>
>>378731354
Don't forget all the sunk costs. You can't switch from Steam without losing your entire library and all your inventories.
>>
>>378731531
>at this point
as soon as a game implements micro transactions, it's a cash cow
>>
>>378731593
Which what LoL has been from the start. They even removed the more complex mechanics and the "anti-fun" skills so they could lure more casuals in.
>>
>>378731169
Not him, but this is for April 2017
https://www.superdataresearch.com/us-digital-games-market/

Unfortunately, can't get any detailed info other than rankings.

Keep in mind #2 is some shitty game called Crossfire, some shitty FPS. But it's the most played FPS in the world.

You really can't underestimate just how many people are in Asia, and just how much fucking money they pump into their F2P games. Asia is the only reason LoL is so dominant in the world. If it wasn't, DotA2 would probably be either even or past LoL.
>>
>>378731593
League was a cash cow back in the day, too, but there were actual developers on the team who left over the years with Tencent buying more and more of the companies shares. I knew by 2014 that the game was dying, but stuck around cause my friends did. Then I slowly left it as my real life got busier. Now I don't even care for the game anymore. Looking at it now, it feels like I gave up a trap of an addiction.
>>
>>378731169

https://venturebeat.com/2015/03/24/dota-2-makes-18m-per-month-for-valve-but-league-of-legends-makes-that-much-every-5-days/
>>
>>378731573
I mean Gave can walk into any Jewish synagogue in the world and the Kabal will be there to shake his hand and Pat his back. He is the epitome of costumer manipulation and asset security.
>>
>>378731325
>And it took them 6 years
It took them like 6 years to even put in a Replay system.

Nobody claimed that Riot weren't filled with retards and/or incompetent idiots.

So yes, absolutely. They're wanting to milk ASSFAGGOTS fans since Valve proved it's insanely profitable to take advantage of people like that.
>>
>>378731735
>18m per month
>lol makes it every 5 days
please see >>378730801 for the original argument of "makes more in 1 day than what dota2 makes in like a month" and fuck off
>>
>>378731707
>Pokemon GO is still in the top 10
And they say the game is dead. Fucking casuals.
>>
>>378731707
That list has World of WarCraft twice (5th place and 8th place, for West and East). I wonder if it'd be #1 if you combined them (since we don't know the actual numbers)
>>
i honestly cannot believe anyone would play league of legends over dota, if you absolutely need to play one of these shitty games the better one is so clearly presented
>>
>>378731735
>2015

>>378731707
alright, i concede
>>
>>378732018
Dota isn't a very fun game and there's a lot of things that I wished it did that would make it a little more accessible. My main complaints about dota were from the beginning:

>turn rate
>color palette

The first makes the game sluggish and it's worse when you learn it has inherit lag put in the game to keep the "feel" of the old dota to old fans. And the color palette made losing track of your characters way too easy. Everything blends together due to that shitty source engine.
>>
>>378732115

Lol is still far more popular than DoTa 2 and it was by thesame margin 2 years ago.
In other words LoL makes more money than Dota 2.

END OF LINE

Both companies deserve nothing tbqh
>>
>>378732142
A lot of heroes would be broken without turnrate in DotA. Check Bristleback out.
>>
>>378732142
Turn rate is used to balanced ranged and melee characters.

I don't really see anything wrong with the palette. It looks really nice and every character has a unique color palette, but it doesn't help that cosmetics are starting to ruin that.
>>
>>378732142
How the fuck do you lose track of most of the heroes? I understand Shadow Fiend or Wind Ranger, maybe, but how do you lose track of Techies or any of the bright coloured heroes?
>>
>>378731206
and into the filter you go riot fag
>>
>>378732441
>>378732467
I participated in the turn rate argument forever and all it came down to was the balance issue of ranged heroes which can easily be fixed by giving them an ammunition system which would do loads better for the game as a whole but icefrog and his diehard fans being too anal to want any kind of change.

>>378732519
because the game has a very bad color design scheme.
>>
>>378732441
Not the same person, and you're right that it's important for the game's balance, but he's not wrong that, at a glance from a new and/or casual player, the turnrate would "feel off" to them.

Just have to make other things more accessible in order to draw them in. I don't mean make anything easier, just tools to help them learn.

Got a friend into the game while back when some guys were being cool and streaming the International, but explaining what was happening in ways that would make sense to people unfamiliar with/new to the game. It got him interested.

Is anyone still doing that these days? I haven't played or watched in about a year.
>>
>>378730251
DotA was good, and better than League. Dota 2 was o.k in the beta.

But now?

I would honestly say that League is better than Dota 2. Sure, they only sell cosmetic items... but in order to make money, they need more new players. And who would stick with a game that takes months of practice before being fun? Yep, NONE.

So they dumbed the living shit out of the game, and made it way more accessible to new players so they would enjoy it and keep playing... which means more money for Valve.

They were doing this for years now, but it was always kinda subtle. Every new patch made the game worse and worse for players that spent years mastering the game. It only favored novice players.

Until that HUD/shrine/skill tree patch, where they fucked everything up so bad. It was disastrous to oldschool players. They freaking copied the LoL HUD to attract more players... and they made the map like a labyrinth with useless paths... they even put Roshan on the left side of the map, exactly were that big worm used to be in LoL... and many more shit changes.

I just quit the game right there and then. Didn't even bother watching tournaments anymore, since all the games were boring.

Have in mind that I have been playing the game since the beginning in the Starcraft/Warcraft III mods... and I was kinda addicted to it. That tells you how bad they fucked tne game up, just to make more money.
>>
>>378728139
why arent people realizing that the new client is still being worked on. Just wait for them to hammer out all the kinks. Dont expect perfection within the first months.
>>
> be alone in the market for years
> laugh all the way to the bank as you sell basic features that grant an advantage like hero access and runes
> promise spectating, proper shop UI, hraphics update what not for years and keep oopsie pushing it back
> make no effort to deliver because no competition
> suddenly game with all the features you've been promising for years
> oh fug we better start working on it now
>>
>>378732651
But some of the heroes really fucking pop out from the map. Bloodseeker stands out really well for example, due to his deep reds and all that.
>>
>>378732651
>Ammunition system

No. That's the worst idea I've ever heard.
>>
>>378732761
>They freaking copied the LoL HUD
It was from HoN

>hey even put Roshan on the left side of the map, exactly were that big worm used to be in LoL
Roshan used to be in the left in DotA

>shrines and talents are bad
lul

>>378732718
It never felt off to me back then, because realistically, even people need time to turn if they need to look back
>>
>>378732882
It's the endgame if people want to whine about ranged heroes forever.
>>
I haven't played LoL for years

Are the new champions still filled with minigames?
>>
>>378732651
Dota 2's color palate is 10/10, can't see how anyone prefers the mixed puke artstyle that is League.

Guess it all depends on what you're used to.
>>
>>378732761
retard
>>
>>378733005
Its less about artsyle and more about elementary color contrast.
>>
>>378731152
(you)
>>
>>378732718
Dota 2 was the first of the genre I ever played, and I never had a problem with turn rates. I actually likes it because the characters looked like they were actually turning rather than changing direction instantly.
>>
>>378732984
Nobody whines about ranged heroes in Dota.
>>
>>378733153
Except for turn rate defenders which is everyone
>>
>>378733180
That's not complaining about ranged heroes, that's defending a working system in place so that we don't complain about ranged heroes.
>>
>>378733180
nope.
>>
>>378733239
The only reason for turn rates is because of ranged heroes, so you have to bring it up regardless. If the complaint wasnt there, turn rates wouldnt exist.
>>
>>378733180
Nobody complains because turn rate is a good system that is balanced and understandable.
>>
>>378733295
So you want to remove turn rates, but add ammunition.

Just fuck off with your shit ideas and go suck Riot's dick.
>>
>>378733347
If turn rate was good, your game would have slightly more players instead of being mainly supported by russians and brits.
>>
>>378733295
That's not the only reason it exists though. Many abilities are based around it as well as making retreats more than just mindless kiting. Not to mention things like blocking which simply doesn't exist in lol
>>
>>378728139
The new client has been available since November. What the fuck is this even about?
>>
File: HONNNN_1.jpg (53KB, 590x260px) Image search: [Google]
HONNNN_1.jpg
53KB, 590x260px
Still the Best
>>
who the hell plays MOBAs in 2017 aside from third worlders?
>>
>>378728139
Is there something wrong with this notion? That's how healthy competition should make all products better and monopolies are bad.
>>
>>378733458
>mindless kiting

mobas are about mindless everything, including dota
>>
>>378733295
>The only reason for turn rates is because of ranged heroes
nope
>>
File: rustled jimmies.jpg (267KB, 900x847px) Image search: [Google]
rustled jimmies.jpg
267KB, 900x847px
>>378733485
midwars warriors WW@?
>>
>>378733562
I mean it's fine that you don't like the genre but why even open the thread?
>>
File: 1488000678790.jpg (30KB, 646x351px) Image search: [Google]
1488000678790.jpg
30KB, 646x351px
>>378733432
concession accepted.
>>
>>378732814
Change a few words, and you could be describing Valve and their Steam client.

I fucking hope they get some REAL competition to Steam soon. Someone needs to get those lazy fucks off their asses.
>>
>>378733070
>realize they're right
>"(you)"
Well done
>>
>>378733562
post your mmr
>>
>>378733661
If you cant take criticism why come on /v/ faggot
>>
Friendly reminder that HotS is the most fun moba.
>>
>play LoL because it was popular at the time
>client shit
>5 or 7? characters to choose from out of like 100
>small ugly map with 3 lanes
>character moves pretty slow to make up for the map size
>dumb bushes everywhere
>generally pretty boring

>play Dota 2 years later
>every character is available to me
>map is fucking huge and detailed
>game doesn't look like a browser game like LoL
>crazy fucking unique abilities that sound fun and OP as fuck

I knew it was the right choice desu
>>
>>378734017
ok blizzard
>>
>>378733910
Where did I not take criticism?
>>
>>378734017
casual*
>>
>>378733630
When did the cool sacrifitial altar got turned into a this volcano?
>>
>>378728139
Lol is so bottom of the barrel. Poor man's dota and both get overshadowed by hots now.
>>
>>378735440
>both get overshadowed by hots now.
>blizzard shills are actually paid to pretend to believe this
>>
>>378735440
Coming from a DotA player from the early WC3 versions, I'd rather play LoL or kill myself before I play HotS.
>>
File: 1416678031573.jpg (10KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1416678031573.jpg
10KB, 184x184px
>>378728248
>current "number 1" has their numbers inflated by bots
>>
File: 1489011443111.jpg (77KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
1489011443111.jpg
77KB, 508x504px
>>378735440
>hots
>overshadowing anything
>>
Once upon a time as long as a game was profitable and fun, everyone was happy. Now we have unrealistic sales projections and unsustainable "long term returns" and unless a game gives you twenty years of playability it's DOG SHIT WURST EVUR and even if it does, the moment you get to year twenty one, it's IT WAS FLAWED ALL ALONG DON'T PLAY IT.

Fuck.
>>
>>378731237
The "hundred thousand people" the image refers to is ordinary community users on the PBE or who opted in to the client during its beta stages, not paid employees. Valve operates the same way.
>>
>>378734017
Would be if I could carry my shitcan team. As it stands, I have to be an uncontested naz or butcher to have a chance at that.
>>
>>378735597
Source: your butthole
>>
>>378733074
Nobody who played any old RTS, Dota 1, or WC3 had any problems with turn rates. It's literally only lolbabs.
>>
>>378730157
>>378730580
>>378730656
>>378730701
>>378730801
>>378730820
>>378731035
Dota makes huge money but they are a joke compared to LoL/HS/OW

I worked in Blizzard Korea for 2 years and more than half of Blizz Ko's income came from Internet Cafe premium fees, this is much, much bigger in China and in the total revenue this makes a huge difference.
League has the same revenue system
>>
>>378738897
Nobody plays dota in KR tho
>>
>>378734095
lol to dota2 experience thread?
>used to play league have around 2000 games because friends played
>checked out a dota2 stream and thought the map was dark as fuck cant see shit
>quit after riot released a patch that changed the game alot and i thought the changes were dogshit
>download dota2 and play it knowing absolutely nothing about it and only have 1 friend playing
>3000 games later now 5k mmr
feelsgoodman dota is so much more fun coming from a guy that played both a lot. never looked back instead i regret not starting earlier
>>
>>378738921
Yeah, that's what I'm saying
That's why they are so behind, and so behind in China.

Korea= Nobody play Dota, huge premium (20~25 cent per hour per played in internet cafes) for OW/League

China= Some play Dota, but no premium system, much much more people play LoL and OW in Internet Cafe for the premium buff
This is HUGE money, I can't talk about exact numbers but for some games PC Bang revenue is over half the revenue source
>>
>>378739032
Yeah East Asia is pretty unique with it's PC bang culture, and you're right that Valve has probably failed to capitalise on these markets.

It doesn't help that their freemium model doesn't give advantages to people who play on PC bang accounts as opposed to personal ones.

That being said, LoL just won in Korea, and there was honestly not much to do about it. China is a better market, but I have no idea how they'd generate revenue from that market.

Probably just a licensing fee from Perfect World and that's it.
>>
>>378738803
That's because lol players would choke at first sign of an rts
>>
>>378739175
When Nexon first serviced Dota2 they had Internet Cafe premium where you could use 20 free skin sets, and gave promotional couriers and wards.
Maybe if they limit it just to Chinese region maybe they could start handing out free shit? 2bh the internet cafe model is very VERY profitable.

As to why LoL won in Korea, Koreans found dota to be too 'slow' (Turnrate, mana etc) and people smurfing like fuck when Dota first came out didn't help, all the new players quit lmao
>>
>>378739202
riot for years have told them shit like denying, turnrates and other mechanics are """"uninuitive"""" and """antifun""" even though everything have a useful purpose. they just eat it up like its gospel and spread misinfo without ever playing a single game of dota before or played one game and got dumpstered so they scurried off back to their hugbox.
i admit dota isnt very fun if you are bad but dota is probably one of the funnest game if you are good
>>
>>378739518
How did WC3 do in Korea? I suppose it was ignored for Starcraft? I know that China likes WC3 more, but Korea is special.

Thank you for your posts by the way.
>>
>>378728139
I guess if you mean that none of us work at valve and don't get paid then yeah, we are missing out.
>>
>>378738897
>League has the same revenue system

league has less players than dota 2. this is demonstrable based on public match statistics.

the player numbers have always been a lie. dota 2 makes significantly more money at this point.
>>
>>378739589
You hit the nail on the head. I think dota suffers because to be bad at that game is to get *really* fucking shafted. I suppose in that sense it is closer to rts, where there is a very intense learning curve required before you can start enjoying it at a competitive level.

Still dislike both though
>>
>>378739630
>How did WC3 do in Korea? I suppose it was ignored for Starcraft?

yeah korea ignored WC3. retard.

oh wait actually it was played on national tv every day and sold like 20 million copies there
>>
>>378739731
this is what pcbros actually believe
>>
>>378739630
WC3 is huge but for the map editor and user map editor games
WC3 is still top 10 played game in Internet Cafes in Korea, but ppl like shit like Anime RPG / Uther Party / etc you get the point

Ladder was not really popular, but it died straight away after a Korean pro was found matchfixing (He changed orc peon/grunt spawn time)

>>378739731
That's up to debate (I can tell you since I worked in industry more ppl play LoL in China/Americas, south also) but even without that, the important part is Dota DOES NOT make money with people playing their games

A great number of players in China and Korea play in PC Bang (Internet Cafe) for the premium bonus, and every hour they spend, Riot gets 25 cents.

this is fucking huge if you think about it

Also this is kind of NDA, but the reason blizzard, and other companies are trying to make competitive games is because of this model
>>
File: hots1280x1024.jpg (365KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
hots1280x1024.jpg
365KB, 1280x1024px
>not playing the best MOBA on the market
>>
>>378739731
are you serious i play dota and even im not as delusional thinking dota has more players.
>>
>>378739937
Blizzard marketing pls go.
>>
File: IMG_0178.jpg (60KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0178.jpg
60KB, 640x480px
""""""Improved""""""" art style and character design
>>
>>378739987
>Dota implements a shitty version of HOTS talent system
>LoL implements a shitty version of HOTS map objectives
>>
>>378739937
>they have to make cross game promotion just so overwatch players will play for a weekend to get the skin and convince themselves hots isnt a dead game
>>
>>378739935
>the important part is Dota DOES NOT make money with people playing their games

??????????? lol

you realize dota is fuckhuge in china right? you realize dota generates well over a hundred million dollars per year in pure profit from compendiums and market, right?
>>
>>378728514
Technically 3. Dota had 2 major client overhauls with major features added, removed or reworked.
>>
>>378739937
i actually let a friend talk me into playing this two weeks ago.
its actually kind of fun for a few games, but it's extremely shallow and braindead. good for playing a few times a week with your friends, but impossible to take even remotely serious.
>>
>>378738897
>Korea
>Dota

Check china.

And yeah, dota isn't even the bigest gun in china either, but nor is League or anything Blizzard. It's that fucking CS ripoff of all things.
>>
>>378740108
he meant theres no revenue sharing model for Valve unlike riot and blizzard from people playing their game at pcbangs. Valve dont get any money from people playing dota from netcafe while riot and blizzard do
>>
>>378740296
>he meant theres no revenue sharing model for Valve unlike riot and blizzard from people playing their game at pcbangs. Valve dont get any money from people playing dota from netcafe while riot and blizzard do

Of course there is, you utter retard

Of course they do, you utter retard
>>
File: 1491823340819.gif (84KB, 417x416px) Image search: [Google]
1491823340819.gif
84KB, 417x416px
>>378740108
Yes, and that's just the base profit, every other game makes money from microtransactions..

If you just head toe to toe in China where LoL has more players than Dota and LoL players have higher ARPU, it's a losing battle.
EVEN IF Dota made more money from microtransactions, LoL and Blizzard titles make twice as much from Internet Cafe premiums, I've told you already, more than half of Riot Korea and Tencent's income is from Internet Cafe premiums.

It's not MTX + @(Internet cafe, etc)
it's Internet Cafe + @(MTX,etc)

>>378740242
China is also slightly higher for LoL (2012 was higher Dota, 2013 littlebit higher Dota, but after LoL was much higher because Tencent owns ACE, which is government funded gaming org)
Esports is dominated by Tencent

Also that CS ripoff game is dying now, Chinese ppl are getting the Esport craze, but it's surprisingly Hearthstone coming at top due to everyone in China having a Smartphone but ppl not being rich enough for PCs yet
>>
>>378740296
But he worked for blizzard in south korea. Not for perfect world in China, where they most definitely DO have this model running.

Valve quit on Korea after the people running dota there failed at everything.
>>
>>378740359
>Hearthstone

This makes a surprising amount of sense
>>
>>378739937
>can immediately initiate full fledged teamfights straight out the gates
its why i also like awesomenauts, fuck lol and dota's stupid ass laning phase
>>
>>378730157
Aren't chinks and gooks all jumping ship to Overwatch?
>>
>>378740515
But they aren't full fledged unless someone is being retarded. Every character can just walk out at any point from early fights.

Hell in awesomenauts, thats even worse, you win by basically heavily stopping the enemy from fighting you. Lonestar can push back 3 enemies on his own a retarded amount and Ronimo refused to fix him.
>>
>>378731531
>Even solo ranked is literally there to lure people into grinding for ranks when it's just there to keep them playing.
Isn't that the case with ranked MM by default?
>>
>>378740374
>>378740335
They don't at the moment, Valve is always welcoming for Internet Cafe licensing deals and they have had deals with chinese brands, but they never act first, and the problem with China is that the bigged Internet Cafe brand doesn't even have more than 1% (AFAIK it was like 0.5%) of the total share) of the total Internet Cafe share. They will need to wait for 200+ PC Bang companies to license them, and keeping track will be hell. In Korea there are only two.

Also the biggest share internet cafe (The ones in the major cities in China) are owned by Tencent
>>378740495
Yeah, we actually had Chinese ppl working on catching botters in WoW back then, but now HS became so popular all the workforce is directed to China right before I quit. There are Chinese IT companies producing dirt cheap smartphones (Like 10% of Samsung/Iphone) so everyone has one now
>>378740568
AFAIK they still have pricing issues, Korea is 30% League 30% OW perfectly balanced atm, China is about 30% League 20~25% Dota 15% OW
>>
>>378730956
It pops up, and it has a loud countdown when you have 10 seconds left to ban/pick. If you somehow still manage to miss it you're retarded.

Besides, you should stay in champ select to discuss tactics with your team. Fuck this "the game starts when the minions get to lane" bullshit mentality.
>>
File: SuperData-Top-Games-April-2017.png (216KB, 1436x832px) Image search: [Google]
SuperData-Top-Games-April-2017.png
216KB, 1436x832px
doturd is FUCKING DEAD
>>
>>378731573
Why would you need to switch? There is nothing preventing you from using multiple stores.
>>
@378731206
>riot faggot boy
>tripfag

Pottery
>>
>>378732467
Turn rate is good for balance, but it's awful for fun, which is the main reason I play games. It just feels awful, and is why I will never switch to Dota.
>>
>>378740961
Thats what they get for casualizing the game so much, fuck valve.

2010 dota best dota
>>
File: 1492089423030.png (325KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1492089423030.png
325KB, 382x417px
So why did Dota rip off Wukong?
>>
>>378740961
valve don't release information on earnings
>>
>>378739937
Is Heroes the only case where classical Blizzard dumbing down and polishing didn't work? They keep throwing promotions at the game, but it can't seem to hold an audience.
>>
>>378740961
>Pokemon GO #8
Didn't that die like a year ago?

>>378741398
Then explain CS:GO.
>>
>>378741398
Then why is CSGO one the list?
>>
>>378740961
Where is Hearthstone?
>>
>>378741464
The moba market was already settled when they entered.

If HOTS came out 2009 they could have maybe been bigger.

They just missed the moba train, its a wonder their game is as popular as it is, with dota 2 and LoL as the established competition.

I bet they are still bitting their ass that they didnt hire icefrog when blizzard would have had the easiest way to make the first moba with its own client.

They had the playernumbers of dota and saw how popular that shit was in bnet and it was also based on their map editor.
They just slept on it
>>
>>378741625
In the dumpster where it belongs
>>
File: prizepool.png (122KB, 2356x984px) Image search: [Google]
prizepool.png
122KB, 2356x984px
>>378740961
>causal gaming

Can't hear you over my 40 million TI prizepool
>>
>>378728248

8 years to rewrite shitty adobe flash code
>>
>>378741775
Not saying it's a good game by any means calm down nerd, its just hard to believe the other games are outperforming their ultimate cash cow,
>>
>>378741687
They updated their EULA so anything you create in their games us now theirs
>>
>>378741346
wukong was in dota 1
>>
>>378741875
Should have done so earlier lol

And i doubt that EULA would hold up in an actual lawsuit in certain countries.

E.g in germany we have very strict IP/author laws that cant be bypassed by contracts
>>
>>378740374
Dota failed in Korea because they suck at it.
Dota is a western game all big pro teams are western (few chinese). Korea teams were playing like Tier 3-4 western teams.
>>
>>378742087
>>Dota is a western game all big pro teams are western (few chinese)

>slavs
>western

Top kek
>>
>>378741346
Genre obligation to include him for the chink market. LoL, Smite, and HoN all had a Wukong hero.
>>
>>378742087
>implying China/SEA don't produce several top tier teams
>including Russians as Western
>>
>>378740961
>Console: Ghost Recon Wildlands is 5th

This can't be real. That game is atrocious.
>>
>>378740115
Two overhauls and a fucking engine shift.
>>
>>378740076
the funny thing is they've given up on that. the two skins that they had are just going to start appearing in normal loot boxes now.
>>
File: alarak_by_tiodor-d9uoduh.png (631KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
alarak_by_tiodor-d9uoduh.png
631KB, 700x700px
>Go to play League
>Wait, who the fuck does that?
>Go to play Dota
>Hour long game decided within the first ten minutes because of arbitrary counter pick and massive oversaturation of CCs, meanwhile build economy gets fucked because of mandatory buys (BKB, Sight Stone), and still lose due to things I couldn't control from Jungle.
>Go play HotS
>Alarak provides some of the best stress relief I've ever seen, tossing fuckers around and popping squishies like balloons
I'm going to be called a shill but I don't care. HotS is just better than LoL and Dota. Better heroes, better looking, better F2P, better fights. Literally the only reasons it's "not successful" was that it was late to the party, and Dotards bombarded it at launch for not being Dota.
>>
>>378741836
hope na or cn wins so all the europoors gets triggered again.
>muh most competitive region
>give eu more invites and more qualifier spots looked at how stacked our region is!!!
>eu shittalk na qualifier saying its trash then gets thrashed when they try to qualify through na qualfier by no name na teams
>proceed to not place top3 ti for 3 years
kek these yuros never fail to make my day
>>
>>378742909
As an ex pro dota player and challenger lol player i only play hots these days

I still find the genre fun but after a while you just get tired of keeping up with reworks and changes they put out every fucking cycle which are basically just the same thing but with different flavor

Hots 2.0 actually isnt bad after they nerfed every hero's life pool and now game is much more balanced
>>
>>378740961
>Destiny that high
Huh, Never knew it was that succesful.
I always knew it was really fun after TTK but didn't expect it to hit a top 10 like that.
>>
>>378740568
why would anyone with half a brain do that
overwatch is too imbalanced for competetive play
>>
>>378743731
chinks gonna chink
>>
>>378742909
I can get behind this.
I have a couple of complaints about HotS but it's casualized to the point where it's actually just plain fun unless you're getting stomped.
>>
>>378741849
Adobe Air
>>
>>378742153
>>378742228
>implying russians won anything worthy

lmao reminder russians are scum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79yfJTiwM8c
>>
>>378740961
>Battlegrounds
>Above Counter Strike
This list makes absolutely no sense at all.
>>
>>378743949
Isn't it pretty much the same labyrinthine system ?
>>
File: ss (2017-06-01 at 02.50.54).png (18KB, 471x146px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-06-01 at 02.50.54).png
18KB, 471x146px
>>378740961
>>378744691
Can someone tell me where they get the numbers from? Two of these games have cosmetic microtransactions while the third does not, and it has far less players than the others.
>>
File: SuperData-Year-in-Review-2.png (330KB, 2242x1254px) Image search: [Google]
SuperData-Year-in-Review-2.png
330KB, 2242x1254px
>>378728139

Come again
>>
>>378745302
Why is asia so fucking cancer?
>>
>>378740832
>having client sounds on
>>
File: 1454366220963.jpg (119KB, 767x563px) Image search: [Google]
1454366220963.jpg
119KB, 767x563px
>>378731707
>Grand theft auto V is still fucking in the top 3
What the absolute fuck, how are that many people still fucking buying it
>>
>>378739935

>More people play Dota in China

Well, that's just false. Even Tencent has admitted it can't break Dota's hold on the market in China numerous times.
>>
>>378746018
That was back in 2012/2013, I have field experience near there and also some company data, now LoL is ~35% Dota is ~25%

Big thing has to do with younger esport generations + younger Chinese ppl are completely dependent on Korean culture, and in Korean TV shows you can see Kpop stars playing league and etc (There was this event where 10 Kpop/Chinese idol played LoL in 2015 or smth, and this was a major hit to teenagers)
>>
>>378745882
I'd put money on it being people buying shark cards rather than just people buying the game
>>
>>378740832
>Besides, you should stay in champ select to discuss tactics with your team.

silver detected
Thread posts: 201
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.