[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never played a Metroid game. Should I? Or are they all outdated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: Super-Metroid.jpg (3MB, 2100x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Super-Metroid.jpg
3MB, 2100x1536px
Never played a Metroid game.
Should I? Or are they all outdated and have better alternatives? Which should I start with?
>>
File: 250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg (26KB, 250x348px) Image search: [Google]
250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg
26KB, 250x348px
>>378680391
Best Metroid.
Best game ever.
>>
File: 1465961520118.jpg (155KB, 512x446px) Image search: [Google]
1465961520118.jpg
155KB, 512x446px
super matorid is the best metroid vania, and one of the best games of all time, so no, dont play it
>>
>>378680391
I personally started with Metroid, then Metroid II, then Super, and then Fusion. Still planning to wait for that sequel. You should make your own decisions instead of asking others. You have a mind of your own make that decision for yourself.
>>
>>378680391
Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are must-play games. They're seriously some of the best games ever made.
I'd encourage you to play the rest too, especially the fan-made AM2R since it's so damn good that it might as well be an official game.
>>
>>378680391
Super Metroid held up well and is a fine fine to start. An alternative would be Zero Mission, which is a remake of the first game (so earlier in the story if you care about that) and has nicer controls.

There is also the Prime series, which is an entirely different type of game, but I nevet played those so I can't comment on them.
>>
Play Super Metroid or Metroid Prime first, if you don't like either then the series isn't for you. Metroid Prime can be played on Wii as part of the Trilogy game and has manual aim in it but they remove a bunch of sequence breaks, so your choice.
>>
Sm is a timeless classic
>>
File: 1470309689965.png (297KB, 764x1058px) Image search: [Google]
1470309689965.png
297KB, 764x1058px
>>378680679
>You have a mind of your own make that decision for yourself.
>>
>>378680391
>are they all outdated and have better alternatives?

No, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are by far the best metroidvanias out there
>>
File: weavel_1.png (37KB, 400x510px) Image search: [Google]
weavel_1.png
37KB, 400x510px
Super is one of the best designed games ever but can be punishing with its platforming at times.
Zero Mission is great entry start to the series.
Fusion has best atmosphere and bosses.
Return of Samus is good but punishing and very outdated.
Original NEStroid is similar, though somehow less dated because of hardware.
Prime is really incredible but lacking in difficulty.
Hunters is a lesser Prime with fun multiplayer and cool rivals Weavel best boy
Echoes is the same as Prime but harder.
Corruption is Halo.
Other M is like a bad Kojima game with shit combat.
Federation Force is Metroid 4 Babbies but can be fun with friends.

RIP Sammy
>>
File: 0TLp6kh-3.png (163KB, 1664x628px) Image search: [Google]
0TLp6kh-3.png
163KB, 1664x628px
>>378681925
>Echoes is the same as Prime but harder.
And worse world/level design.
>>
>>378682017
Worse world design sure but the level design is better
>>
>>378680391
The only outdated ones with better alternatives are Metroid and Metroid 2. Neither are worth playing in a world where Zero Mission and AM2R exist.
>>
>>378683672
maybe if you're a millennial pussy
>>
>>378680391
start with AM2R it's free
>>
>>378680391
AM2R is pretty good

so is Hyper Metroid (Super Metroid romhack) and maybe one or two SM romhacks

Start with Zero Mission, then move on to Super Metroid (play the GBA controls mod if you're used to those controls), then AM2R, then Fusion

The Metroid Prime games are pretty okay too. Play those in order
>>
>>378683939
This
>>
>>378683939
The amount of slowdown and flickering on Metroid on an actual NES is proof enough its outdated and broken.
>>
>>378683939
Ok, let's look at Metroid.
>Copy+pasted rooms everywhere, especially in Kraid's lair
>Have to farm missiles and health for an hour if you die
>Annoying design decisions like rooms where you get hit as soon as you enter and enemies being able to hit you during room transitions

It was great for its time, but let's face it. It's just too tedious and annoying for me to recommend it over Zero Mission.
>>
>>378685885
I bet you hate Dark Souls as well, faggot
>>
>>378686038
Dark Souls isn't tedious as fuck if you die. It doesn't make you do the same thing for a fucking hour to get your health back.

Nice rebuttal, by the way. Now we know you have no points to make, just general "LOL GIT GUD FAGGET." That argument would work if Metroid were actually hard, but there's a difference between difficulty and tedium.
>>
>>378680391
You should try them.

Super Metroid is an excellent game that holds up well. If you only play one, make it that one.

Zero Mission is a GBA remake of Metroid for the NES, and it's also pretty good. If you really want to dive intot he 2D games, that's a good place to start, before going on to A2MR, Fusion (if you really want to), and SM.

As for alternatives - they're out there, but I wouldn't say they're better. Certain Castlevania games are made in a similar style to 2D Metroids, the most popular of which is Symphony of the Night. I think they tend to ask a little less of you than Metroid games, but they're still enjoyable. There's also a number of Metroidvania-style indie games you can check out. I like Rogue Legacy.
>>
>>378686451
try playing something other than Super or ZM if you think Metroid isn't difficult
>>
>>378686805
I played fusion, it wasn't difficult
>>
>>378688129
play Fusion's hard mode, it's harder than AM2Rs

unfortunately it's only available in the Japanese version, but the Japanese version still has an English option unselectable but there's a save file floating around that's locked on hard mode with English text
>>
I played super metroid for the first time a few months ago and it holds up extremely well
>>
>>378685885
>It's just too tedious and annoying for me to recommend it over Zero Mission
Mother fucker should have a mind of his own.
>>
Zero Mission/Fusion/AM2R

First two are stupid easy to emulate.
>>
>>378680679
I'm asking if it's worth my time or if I should play hollow knight or dead cells or that fangame instead
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.