[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good JRPG or is it just a game desperately clinging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: i-am-setsuna-review.jpg.optimal.jpg (124KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-am-setsuna-review.jpg.optimal.jpg
124KB, 1080x600px
Is this a good JRPG or is it just a game desperately clinging to the past in order to appear to nostalgiafags
>>
>>378583338
game is pretty boring up until the half way point, then it throws a curve-ball at you. Ramps up in difficulty pretty fast and demands you to do things you were never shown in game or even had to do before. Environment is bland. Pretty much just snow everywhere and the voices for the characters can be a tad annoying at times and don't fit the characters.
>>
>>378583338
The latter.
>>
>>378583338
Mediocre at best
>>
>>378583338
Mostly the latter, but I feel like the game is held back by its lack of budget above all else. Aside from that, the story and characters themselves aren't too bad but they're too weak compared to the game I am Setsuna apes down to its core, Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>378583338
>game called "I am Setsuna"
>Setsuna is someone else
>>
>>378584087
Kind of a lame title compared to the original Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna.
>>
>>378583338
>nostalgiafags
I want nu-/v/ to die.
>>
It's okay. Comfy to play in the winter time, has some good tunes, gameplay is simple and easy to break. The short length and the tail end of the story are what hold it back imo. Probably a 6 or 7 out of 10
>>
>>378583338

I actually liked it, but it is awfully guilty of 'MEMBER CHRONO TRIGGER? It's not a good idea to so closely ape a game that's considered the holy grail of JRPGs when your game is definitely not that. Like >>378583660
said, the difficulty ramps quickly and you're expected to understand a mechanic that the game does an extremely poor job of explaining. Momentum has excellent bonus abilities; extra damage on most every offense skill, applying various debuffs on certain skills (one double tech can apply instant death to all enemies if you activate Momentum), or support skills having additional skills (Setsuna's Luminare applies Auto-Revive, Endir's Wall provides protection from physical and magic attacks, etc).
>>
>>378583338
It's fine, but was way too overpriced when it came out and you can tell that they didn't have enough budget.
The OST is pretty nce imo unless you dislike too much piano, loved the overworld theme and most battle themes though. And it has some alright endgame content.
Also the artbook is great.
>>
>>378585034

I wish they could have had an appropriate budget to make the game look like the artwork; instead it looks like it could have been on 3DS.
>>
>>378585298
Same and their new game basicly looks like I am Setsuna but without snow
I will still buy it though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiEQ524ojaM
>>
>>378585461
Didn't even know this was coming out. Maybe they'll do better this time.
>>
>>378585461
I can't quite tell from the small character icons, but I think the artwork may not be made by toi8 this time around, That'd be a shame, I love his style.
>>
>>378585461
>exact same models on enemies from IAS
>same builds for characters with 1-2 new ones, rest is just set dressing
>same combat scheme and particle effects
I hope it's not as re-hashey as it looks. I liked I am Setsuna, but I would rather not have to play it again with a new coat of paint while paying full price
>>
File: DBEF31AVoAA0brs.jpg (246KB, 1991x1183px)
DBEF31AVoAA0brs.jpg
246KB, 1991x1183px
>>378585881
Yeah doesn't look like it, the character art from IAS was pretty nice
>>
>>378583338
Both
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.