[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never played the Metal Gear series. Is Metal Gear Solid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

I have never played the Metal Gear series. Is Metal Gear Solid a good starting point? Will I understand the story starting here? Is the Twin Snakes edition acceptable to play instead of the original for my first time?
>>
>>378464396
Starting... point?
>>
>>378464396
Metal....Gear?
>>
>>378464396

Yeah MGS1 is a perfect place to start. Gameplay will feel dated but hopefully the story should hook you.

Twin Snakes is fine, but I'd try to track down the original if you can. Twin Snakes just isn't a very polished product.

>>378464482

Post of the fucking day.
>>
>>378464482
First post... best post?
>>
>>378464396
Also, and this is just a personal opinion, but play 1, 2 and 4, then 3, PW and 5.
>>
>>378464396
im not a genius but try this order

1,2,3,4 and then ...5

then after you beat 5 play the other shit like twin snakes, PSP ones etc
>>
Yes
Yes
Not really but its a personal preference. If you play the remake at least play the original too.
>>
>>378464482
lol
>>378464670
Dated gameplay is fine, I've beaten Morrowind. I would track down the original but I'd rather just emulate. I think Twin Snakes is on Dolphin.
>>
>>378464817
>>378464828
>not playing it in alphabetical order
>>
Play MGS 1-4. Skip every other Metal Gear-related games.
>>
>>378464817
>>378464828
Really activates ur almonds
>>
File: 1484207688438.jpg (266KB, 905x881px) Image search: [Google]
1484207688438.jpg
266KB, 905x881px
>>378464396
Are you on PC? if so, then fuck no, the only PC port that exists is beyond horrible
>>
>>378464828
1, 2, 3.
>>
>>378464396
>I have never played the Metal Gear series.
>1998
Kept us waiting, uh?
>>
Play them in this order:

MGS1

MGS2

MGS3

MGS4

Peace Walker (not essential, could just read a story summary online)

MGS5

Dont play twin snakes unless you want to after you have beat the series to see what it was like.
>>
>>378464396
Read up the stories of Metal Gear 1 and 2 (without the solid) on wikipedia or something so you have the basic gist of some background history.

MGS1 is absolutely a fantastic starting point.
>>
>>378465164
>Peace Walker
STFU peace walker was unironically decent
>>
>>378464396
>Will I understand the story starting here?

There's a special menu to read about the prequels' plot. Also please emulate the PS1 version, as it's still unironically the best way to play it.
>>
>>378464396
twin snakes is fine if you're going to play mgs2 right after it
find a xbox360/ps3 to play the remastered of mgs3, free camera is a big improvement
peace walker run smoothly on emulator
metal gear acid and portable ops are useless
>>
File: 1487093211971.jpg (338KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1487093211971.jpg
338KB, 1920x1080px
>>378464396
Okay OP lemme tell you something. MGS1 is the absolute pinnacle of gaming. The perfect blend of cinematography techniques, story, and gameplay. This is what every AAA of the day is trying to emulate; a game designer that hasn't be influenced/inspired by Metal Gear Solid is either a fraud or a liar. Yes, the controls, tropes, and mechanics will seem dated, but that's what happens when you're the trendsetter. It's actual, literal, gaming perfection, you're in for a treat.

With that said.

Twin Snakes is... it's MGS1 updated with all of MGS2's graphics and stealth mechanics, along with "improved" cutscenes. If MGS1 is what happened, TS is what Snake tells people what happened. The shit he does in those cutscenes are way too anime for some people, but personally I enjoyed the shit out of it. The only real downsides are the subpar voice acting in some parts and how INSANELY easy it is (MGS1 was built around you not being able to aim in first person). MGS1 is the superior game, but Twin Snakes is great fun after you've beaten the original.
>>
>>378464396
Whatever you do, don't play Portable Ops, Peace Walker, or The Phantom Pain, those games lick butthole
>>
OK man here's what you do
Get MGS for the PS1, get 2, 3 and PW on the HD collection, or at least make sure you get substance and subsistence respectively when it comes to 2 and 3.
Get 4 for the ps3
Get 5 both GZ and TPP
So here's what you do
Open up 3
Go to special, and open the very first MSX metal gear
Then MG2 SS
Then emulate MGS
Then play and hate then love MGS2
Then play MGS3 and overrate it like everyone else
Then throw 4 in the garbage and watch it on youtube
Then play Gear Zeroes
Then start TPP, get to Uganda and drop it like the sack of shit it is
Only way to play Metal Gear
>>
>>378465650
Don't listen to this guy. Portable Ops is skippable but Peace Walker and TPP are great.
>>
>>378465715
Also don't even look at PW
>>
>>378465009
The PC ports of MGS 1+2 are actually the definitive versions, if you apply the proper patches.
>>
>>378465767
Army management is the worst thing to ever happen to the series, its totally out of place in a game about solo infiltration.
>>
>>378465603
>If MGS1 is what happened, TS is what Otacon tells people what happened
ftfy
>>
>>378465965
They're not games strictly about solo infiltration.
>>
File: Enormous Employer.gif (1KB, 64x96px) Image search: [Google]
Enormous Employer.gif
1KB, 64x96px
Be sure to either play or at least read up on the story of Metal Gear 1 and 2 for MSX-2 before getting into MGS. It's not really necessary, but it enhances the experience, especially so when you start playing the prequels.
>>
>>378465965
>>378466067
I think it would have made sense to enforce permadeath in those games. So you'd basically have a reason not to use Snake (his death being a game over), and to make your soliders better.

Then you make actually have some non-characterisation attachment to your soldiers, which is what they PRETENDED to have achieved with the quarantine disaster in V.
>>
>>378465818
2? Maybe so, if your hardware doesn't crap out. 1 though? Fuck outta here, post processing effects are literally absent and the sound department is terrible, low quality and inaccurate to the original and AFAIK no patches fix that. It always was a flawed port.
>>
>>378464482
Kojima should've just hired an english guy to do the dialogue. It's so fucking anime like when a nip writes it.
>>
>>378464983

Don't listen to this. You might be disappointed by certain games, but at least it'll be you own opinion.

What's your favorite Metal Gear spinoff /v/? I'm quite fond of Metal Gear Ac!d myself.
>>
>>378467550
Capcom did exactly that with RE7. They hired the dude who wrote the FEAR expansions stories.
>>
>>378466383
That would have done a lot to alleviate my problems with the Army building mechanics in those games. As it was, it was really weird that Big Boss/Venom was amassing an army, but still felt the need to risk his own neck and potentially leave his troops leaderless by going out into the field completely on his own.

>>378468961
Revengeance is my favorite spin off, after Peace Walker, that game was a Godsend.
>>
>>378470259

Yup, Revengeance is pretty good. Never played Jetstream or Wolf dlc, are they worth it?
>>
>>378470992
I think they're free now, I definitely recommend them, especially Jet Stream.
>>
>>378472625
Thanks anon. I Didn't even know they were free.
>>
Don't play twin snakes
>>
>>378464941
>I think Twin Snakes is on Dolphin.
Just play the PS1 version.
>>
MGS1-4 and Rising, you can safely stop there

PW, GZ and V if you really want more

Endgame is Ghost Babel
>>
Play 1-4. Then Peace Walker and 5, I don't care for these two, but give em' a shot after you're done with the first 4. Rising is a fun action hack n' slash spin off which is definitely worth playing. Twin Snakes is a remake of 1, and is also worth checking out.
>>
>>378473751
Is PSX a good emulator?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.