[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decade later, I'm still unsure if it was a masterpiece

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

File: 75776569.jpg (251KB, 1027x1400px) Image search: [Google]
75776569.jpg
251KB, 1027x1400px
Decade later, I'm still unsure if it was a masterpiece or a piece of shit
>>
Does it have to be one or the other?
>>
I hate it . .. .. i feel like maybe I missing something ? why did any one ever like it ?

Just rips off the ring and is a really bland shooter . . . ..
>>
>>378443012
>Just rips off the ring

im pretty sure in the ring the girl is your enemy not your ally
>>
>>378441531
I hated the environments, except the offices and the labs. I hate the under-construction levels and the fucking warehouses ugh.

I wish FEAR 2 had the gunplay FEAR 1 has, the sequel had much better environments.

Notice how I use the word 'environments' instead of level design. I think level design was shit in both. I hate linear shooters.
>>
File: Rings_Trailer.jpg (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Rings_Trailer.jpg
223KB, 1920x1080px
>>378441531
same shit different smell
>>
File: fearsold.jpg (129KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fearsold.jpg
129KB, 1280x720px
*jumps through the window for no reason*
>>
>>378443551
Are you serious about the level design part
>>
>>378444024
Yes :(
>>
played through it for the first time last year. when it came out originally my pc was shit and couldnt play it, over the years i kept it in my backlog.

its pretty cool but is extremely repetitive. 6/10

shotgun is really fucking fun tho
>>
>>378441531
masterpiece of shit
>inb4 b-b-ut muh AI
>>
The Ai is what makes it amazing.
>>
>>378441531
Name a better shooter.
You literally can't
>>
>>378443012
>Bland shooter

I swear man, it's like everyone's a retard here

FEAR has some of the finest and visceral combat shooters have ever seen
>>
>>378444447
How though? They literally seemed like every other run of the mill AI in shooters. They did nothing special. Hell, sometimes they'd even just stand there and take my bullets. Rare, but it happened.
>>
>>378441531
it was a hit, visually advanced for the time and appealing, scary like a popular teenage horror movie, violent and with novelty in the shape of pretty cool slowmo combat.
>>
>>378441531
Audio is masterpiece in this game
it's worth to play it just for this
>>
FUCK
>>
>>378441531
>Thing is either a masterpiece or total shit
It was good, it had a nice atmosphere and it was a nice shooter. Also it had a nice little community that wasn't invaded by retards and assholes. The franchise is dead anyway, so why do you care about it?
>>
>>378445854
this

audio was ahead of its time
>>
>>378441531
Boring.
>>
>>378444447
The AI was really simple though
>>
File: peg fear.jpg (474KB, 986x1378px) Image search: [Google]
peg fear.jpg
474KB, 986x1378px
>>
I'm still salty I missed that fucking bundle..
>>
It was all about that Slow Motion.

Max Payne 3 is also really mediocre and linear with the exception of the amazing Airport level. But I'll love any game that has cool bullet time.
>>
File: F 2012-08-08 19-10-14-61.jpg (60KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
F 2012-08-08 19-10-14-61.jpg
60KB, 1920x1080px
daily reminder
>>
File: 1495136291069.png (260KB, 593x635px) Image search: [Google]
1495136291069.png
260KB, 593x635px
>>378447487
>mfw the game that ended the franchise was fucking F.E.A.R. Online.
>>
>Play the game on hard
>Enjoy a tense game where you can round house kick a soldier in slow motion
>Never have to take cover, just constant high action fire fights

Maybe you played it wrong.
>>
>>378441531
The only thing I disliked about this game was the whacky ghost enemies at the very end. Everything up to that point was solid. The second game revamped them to be much more interesting. The 3rd game just felt like filler to me, We knew a baby was coming from alma at the end of the 2nd game and the entire 3rd game leads up to it's birth and then. . . nothing. There's no payoff.
>>
After I finish FEAR 1 and its DLCs, should I get FEAR 2 to play or is it garbage?
>>
>>378441531
I really liked it at first playthrough. Played it again without slow-mo and it kind of fell apart. Solid FPS, but not even my favourite Monolith game.

I also liked 2, flame away.

>>378443259
Alma isn't really your ally until Extraction Point.
>>
>>378451010
It's a competent console FPS with some pretty cool level concepts. I also think the story is pretty interesting, for an FPS anyway.

The best gun is a huge sniper rifle you get like twice in the game.
>>
File: 1489775730002.jpg (43KB, 351x429px) Image search: [Google]
1489775730002.jpg
43KB, 351x429px
played it recently, I loved it, the bullet time, proximity mines, flying kicks, the fucking shotgun, disintegrating people into skeletons, those fucking robots bursting thorough wall and chasing you through smaller corridors, awesome game
>>
I still play FEAR Combat. It's fun.
>>
>>378451585
Do you play it through FEAR community?
How active is it?
>>
>>378441531
Everything was good except for the fact that it fails at being scary. Was disappointed but everything else was so enjoyable I didn't mind
>>
>>378444931
>>378446820

Seinfeld Effect.

FEAR revolutionized AI so thoroughly that it became the standard for all modern shooters. Looking back it seems less special without taking that into context.
>>
>>378452689
what no that's a half-life meme
>>
>>378452689
The dev team actually released a paper detailing how the AI works and shit
>>
This who don't like this game deserve to die
They All Deserve To Die
>>
>>378444931
Someone post the webm comparing AI in FEAR and Bioshock: Infinite
>>
>>378452381
The game isn't scary mostly because all the scares are scripted, so if you've played the game you expect what will happen, and also that it's mimicking the motifs of (Americanized) Japanese horror which, while popular near the time of the game's release, isn't very popular now. It still manages to create a good atmosphere despite that.
>>
>>378441531

It's boring and also has a noticeable mouse delay on PC. It's NOT scary at all, you can judge how much of a wimp a person is solely by the fact they think FEAR is a horror game.

The game was also not balanced for no-slowmo but at the same time using slow mo turns it into a cakewalk
>>
>>378452689
Hm... interesting.
>>378452916
I'd like to see that
>>
Literally played it like 20 times through.

The gunplay is fucking SOLID in this game. The guns feel good and it feels good to shoot dudes.

Play this shit when you're fucking high, it's the tits.
>>
>>378441531
It's one of my favorite games. Hella fun to go back and play, and I rank it among my top FPS next to the original half-life.

Shame all the sequels sucked, but at least the expansions were fun.
>>
>>378453072
>isnt scary
I couldnt finish it due to being scary anon
>>
>>378453258
Do you not know what vsync is?
>>
>>378451986
Yes, through that. For me there's enough people playing. 30 people total right now as I type.

Considering how old this game is, how many other far more popular multiplayer games people can choose from etc. this is a pretty good number to me.
>>
Graphics and gunplay are great.
The level design could be better but I love this game overall.
>>
>>378451010
It's a massive downgrade, but the biggest crime is that all the weapons feel like shit and have zero impact.

FEAR 3 gets shit on like crazy here, but at least it got that right.
>>
>>378441531
It's my favorite (single player) FPS.
Second favorite is XIII.

But F.E.A.R. and it's two add-ons are reaaaally great.
>>
File: 1472580084465.jpg (55KB, 369x369px) Image search: [Google]
1472580084465.jpg
55KB, 369x369px
>>378441531
The gunplay was mindblowingly excellent, but even then it gets old after awhile when there is so little variety in enemies and environments.

Also, slow mo is too available even in the higher difficulties. You can basically go through the entire game without ever shooting your gun in real time.

The graphics were amazing back in the day and they still kinda hold up.

Many modern games still dont have as good dynamic lightning or physics.

Story sucks, was scary back then not now.
>>378452689
The AI is still amazing by most modern game standards. Small levels helped. Another thing that FEAR understood that most games don't understand is that good AI alone doesn't create the perception of good AI.

What made FEAR AI so credible is how they would shout out their intentions, react to your actions and constantly try to flank you.

Most games don't put so much work in those things.
>>
>>378447467
>mediocre and linear
It rustles my jimmies when people say this. Not everything has to be Skyrim or Deus Ex. Linear game design is just as valid as open ended game design. It's how the design is executed that counts. This is like saying every movie sucks because you can't choose or change the camera angle. You are being sent down a path to experience the story (or just to have fun) a certain way. There is nothing wrong with this. It's cool if it isn't your preference, but don't invalidate it as a proper type of game.

F.E.A.R. was great and so was Max Payne 3. Bullet time helped, but that is not why they're great.
>>
>>378453258
It is a horror game. It's just not a good horror game.
>The game was also not balanced for no-slowmo
It's actually very easy to complete it on Extreme without slow-mo.
>>
>>378454480
yes I did and it was on. It has nothing to do with Vsync, you click, and the bullets shoot like a quarter of a second later. It's not terrible but its there and you can totally feel it.

>>378456939

It's simply not scary at all, mainly because none of the supernatural shit can hurt you (until the ghosts at the end, which die in literally 1 shot from the pistol) and you're playing as some super soldier motherfucker who can kill giant robot suits.

As for the no slow mo, I'll simply disagree. The damage is too high and it's not possible to dodge bullets without slow mo. I know its possible and that theres an achievement for it, I just dont think its easy
>>
>>378457232
The game tries to be horror, that much is obvious. It flashes a distorted image of a bloody face at one point at you, a literal screamer. It's just not scary because of the reasons you mentioned, but it tries to be.

For a no-slow-mo Extreme run, just lean a lot and wait for the AI to change positions. And they will change positions, because the AI is actually fairly simple and if you don't move they will keep shuffling positions giving you chances to take them out.

Add-ons are harder without slow-mo, EP has a few really tough battles and I didn't even try PM without it.
>>
game is held back by its story and horror atmosphere
but fuck the gunplay is so great. just ignore the story and everything going on and put on some hype music while shooting grunts
>>
Why is Perseus Mandate so hated?
>>
>>378458162
pussies
>>
>>378458162
>environments look like shit
>AI is also pretty shit
>>
>>378446147
>DOES anyone see him?

>Shut your fucking mouth.
>>
>>378441531
New Vegas and THUG are both. This can be too.
>>
>>378458162
>unfinished levels with no textures
>rehash levels
>dogshit new enemies
>new weapons look and play like shit
>story is a rehash for the first half
>bad squadmates and squad AI
>only about two "horror areas" in the game
>new ghost is a piss easy groundhog

The only part that was fun is the mech chasing you through the walls. The rest is trash
>>
>>378445854
>Muh gun audio
You know how I know you're American? You know what a gun shot sounds like. Nobody over here gives a shit about audio because we play games for the gameplay.
>>
The first one was grear. Sound design was awesome. Subtle spoopyness was good. Jump scares were few and good. Name is edgy as shit though. I'll never forget sniping with that shotgun.

FEAR Files was good for the same reasons (and had the true ending to the franchise)

2 tried it's best to follow up and didn't do a bad job but something was missing and I can't tell what.

And 3 was so bad that it might as wellnnot have been made at all.
>>
File: 1496013236268.png (354KB, 522x457px) Image search: [Google]
1496013236268.png
354KB, 522x457px
>>378443012
>bland shooter

There couldn't be a more incorrect post on this site.
>>
>>378444931
Considering the AI actually flanks and falls back to safer locations I'd say that's a step up from a lot of AAA AI today. It's obviously not one of the best anymore but it still holds a certain level of complexity that a lot of games don't even bother to have.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.