[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm so fucking tired of Action RPG's. ARPG are taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 1495021239697.jpg (72KB, 720x707px) Image search: [Google]
1495021239697.jpg
72KB, 720x707px
I'm so fucking tired of Action RPG's.

ARPG are taking over goddamn everything. Pure skill-based action games and pure strategy-based RPG's are dying; now everything is turning into a mix of both. Everyone wants real-time action combat, but simply getting good at a game isn't enough anymore. You also need some kind of carrot on a stick progression system so that people can feel like they're getting stronger. Injustice 2 has fucking loot now, not even Fighting games are safe.
>>
>>378434253
>pure strategy-based RPG's are dying
Good riddance.
>>
>>378434425
Bugger off kid.
>>
>>378434425
>I don't like it so nobody can DX
>>
>reset the world

Is this a...
>>
>>378434253
I don't like action RPGs very much either, the two genres it combines are opposites of each other.
>RPG where you play a character whose skills shouldn't reflect your own
>Action game where the game is challenging you personally
Turn-based RPGs work because they abstract control away from you so that your party/character are doing the work, while you make the decisions. If you throw in action combat suddenly you have a player who's done 10 runs of the game take control of a fresh character who moves, dodges and attacks like a god for no in-game reason.

It also tends to simplify the game away from skill and towards "Do I have enough damage on my gear?". Sure you can out-play a stronger enemy, but it'll still take a trillion years of you avoiding the same easy patterns and mashing attack. Meanwhile if you can avoid their attacks adequately, armour loses its value because you never actually get hit.
>>
>>378435057
This meme is terribly unfunny.

Please stop.
>>
You are right. Even the souls games would lose nothing if there was no stats. In fact they would be better because then from software wouldn't get so worried about difficulty scaling and do more interesting interconnected levels.
>>
but RPG mechanics always makes a game better and more engaging
>>
>>378435507
JOJO REFERENCE!?!?!?!?
>>
>>378434425
why?
>>
>>378435823
Well done RPG mechanics can improve a game, but just shoving the systems in there without regards to what makes them engaging will do the opposite.
>>
>>378434770
The same response can be given to OP
>>
>>378435507
i think he's implying it might be a jojo reference
>>
File: dreamlike experience.jpg (338KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dreamlike experience.jpg
338KB, 1920x1080px
>>378434253

>why is there no purebred vidya anymore?
It's almost like genre-mixing is a destructive as race mixing.

In all serious borderlands garbage is just a fad like every other and it'll go away in a few years. I may just be retarded but what I think a good portion of the market motivation for the new trend is, is that all the kiddies who played halo 1 as their first FPS are now all grown up and want their shooting mechanics but also want just a little bit more, something to sink their teeth into. Lazily slapping on some loot shit and character building mechanics (even in absence of actual roleplaying) seems to be a temporary stopgap measure. In a couple more years they'll get bored of that, discover CRPGs and donate to some kickstarter vaporware or buy into the next big Obsidiot game.
>>
>>378436267
The OP wasn't saying ARPG's should go and die permanently, just that ARPG's are oversaturated as fuck.
>>
>>378435481
This, nobody seems to get it, though I think action RPGs are still acceptable to me. You have direct control but it's still somewhat abstracted, you press some buttons as triggers for likely complex animations, so there's still some room for "the character is hitting harder and dodges faster" and shit like that. What really bothers me is the unholy union of FPS and RPG, where you directly control the actual aiming yourself but the game goes
>uhh sorry your stat numbers are wrong, you didn't aim at the enemy's head you actually aimed 15.3ft to the right and missed completely
>oh you got better at pulling the trigger, your gun deals more damage now!
>>
>>378436267
Not really.
>I don't like ARPGs consuming the genres it hybridized and making the gaming landscape more homogeneous
vs
>I don't like this genre so I'm glad it's becoming a whored out shell of its former self
>>
>>378434253
>ARPG are taking over goddamn everything
Wtf are you talking about, there hasn't been a proper new ARPG that isn't also a shooter in years. IMO shooters are killing the industry
>>
Tough luck OP, ARPGS are the meme of this era. In the early 00s it was all about RTS, FPS, and RPGs and now it's all about assfags, arena shooters and arpgs
Maybe wait 8 years
>>
>>378437172
>Wtf are you talking about, there hasn't been a proper new ARPG that isn't also a shooter in years.

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1-3
Nioh
Nier Automata
The Surge
Dragon's Dogma

Just of the top of my head.
>>
>>378437401
>Arena shooters
In which universe?
>>
>>378434253
>ARPG are taking over goddamn everything.
no that title goes to 2d puzzle platformers
>>
>>378436394
It sucks that that min/maxing game design is basically dead. Genres barely mean anything anymore.
>>
i'm more annoyed by games implementing MMO mechanics in games they really don't belong in
>>
>>378437793
not him, but I think he's thinking of isometric loot grinders like diablo 3 and path of exile, instead of actually good arpgs with gameplay, like the ones you listed.
>>
>>378435057
Yeah, a Superman: The Movie reference I think
>>
File: e55080ecb4ff46e0b0cb0ea.png (295KB, 603x600px) Image search: [Google]
e55080ecb4ff46e0b0cb0ea.png
295KB, 603x600px
>>378439591
>mfw Memelands 2 added bosses that on top of being bullshit can't be fought for 24 hours after you beat them
>>
>>378439591
Illusive targets in Hitman is pretty cool.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.