[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering making a game. >take court cases from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
I'm considering making a game.

>take court cases from public record
>summarise facts of the case and distribute them among a defence lawyer, prosecutor, and various experts and evidence
>you play as the judge AFTER the defendant has been convicted, and have to SENTENCE him
>the actual sentence given is shown after you sentence them as well as the (redacted) sentencing remarks of the judge
>you have the full array of sentencing tools available
>after sentencing you get a little blurb about what happens to the criminal (which I make up)
Sort of like Papers, Please.

Problem is I'm struggling to figure out what the long-term motivator is. In the short term you'd pick the game up and decide a couple cases just because it's fun, you know, you get to see a little bit about the legal system and get windows into people's lives. The long term motivator I'm not sure though.

I'm thinking maybe you have a boss you need to keep happy by giving the sentences he wants you to give, but that seems a bit on-the-nose and part of the game is that there's no real right answers (there are wrong answers though, which will get you kicked out if you keep doing stupid shit).
>>
I assume the end goal is to have the public think of you as fair and lawful

Obviously you can make that difficult by offering shady deals
>>
>>378397970
>I assume the end goal is to have the public think of you as fair and lawful
The problem is that this requires me as the developer to "pass judgement" on your judgements while pretending to be the public. If you go full sperg literally Hitler and start gassing people then sure, I'm happy to tell you that no, that's not how the legal system actually works in this country, but there's a lot of grey between "nobody gets punished" and "everyone gets their hands chopped off" where I can't really declare that your judgements are right or wrong.

However, you've given me an idea for a "media-vision" where the facts known to you as the judge are different from the alternate facts that the media "knows" and is reporting about the case.

Maybe instead of the bad guys being corrupt shady people the "bad guys" can actually be the ignorant public who don't know shit about the actual case but think that spending five minutes reading an engineered article makes them an expert. So your end goal is to have the public think of you as fair and lawful, but the public's perspective on fair and lawful is actually the wrong one.

Good idea, anon.
>>
File: 335563-praa_miles_edgeworth4.jpg (74KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
335563-praa_miles_edgeworth4.jpg
74KB, 1000x680px
>>378396601
>>you play as the judge AFTER the defendant has been convicted, and have to SENTENCE him
I'm sorry, but can you get to the part where this is supposed to be fun? You game sounds shit. There's no drama in courtroom drama if you already know the defendent is guilty.
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-29+at+03.47.50).jpg (26KB, 462x370px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-29+at+03.47.50).jpg
26KB, 462x370px
>>378398590
It's not a courtroom drama.
>>
>>378398249
It can be a mixture of a lot of things, I imagine as the game progresses the media coverage becomes more biased, the bribes more apparent, the public less rational. There are a lot of factors that can slowly make your job a lot more difficult, if you are going completely for the papers please route you'll also need to introduce something that actually makes making decisions difficult, in that games example a family that will starve if you don't do a good job, in that regard I son't think a simple 'good job' rating will suffice.
>>
>>378398987
>I imagine as the game progresses the media coverage becomes more biased, the bribes more apparent, the public less rational.
In Queensland we have the Vicious Lawless Associate laws which impose mandatory sentences on people who meet the criteria which was heavily opposed by the legal profession so I guess I could do something with things like that. City in crime wave, Premier is imposing new laws that give judges wider discretion with pressure to crack down hard on criminals, and you get caught up in high profile cases where the government is leaning on you to decide a certain way. Something like that.

It makes for a slick narrative but it's not really "gameplay".

The problem is that judges are extremely hard to fire. First they have to either be "incapable" or have "proven misbehaviour" and then the state parliament has to vote them out, so "losing your job" is a pretty unrealistic motivator unless you do something absolutely fucking retarded. Not to mention that the government would never be dumb enough to lean on a judge, because if it got out it would be political suicide and jail for all involved - and it probably will get out, because most judges take their job seriously.

I think we're on to something with it being media-related but I just can't tie media bullshit into meaningful consequences for the judge/player.
>>
>>378398696
>visual novel-esque game
>no drama

if there is no action or drama then people are going to get bored real fast
>>
>>378399868
That's the point of this thread. I'm struggling to think of what the source of drama will be.
>>
>>378399868
>visual novel-esque game
what exactly made you think this? Have you ever played papers, please?
>>
>>378399574
Either shape the world in a way where professional consequences are feasible, or just make the consequences to do with the judges personal life. Option A assumea you aren't going for a completely realistic depiction of judges

The public can do a lot of fucked up things if the media feeds them enough false information
>>
>>378400146
no i havent i was thinking more along the lines of Ace Attorney

>>378400063
I guess the best way is to have well-written characters but as was mentioned above, there isnt much drama in sentencing cases that have already stood trial. That being said, I like the idea and I think it could be pretty good if done right.
>>
>>378396601
Have you ever played or heard of Ace Attorney? No offence but your game sounds like a cheap rip-off.
>>
>>378400482
It sounds literally nothing like it other than it being set in court, don't be retarded
>>
There is evidence that higher rates of imprisonment reduce crime (because all the criminals are locked up) but also that imprisonment is generally detrimental to the offender's chances at rehabilitation.

So I could make you have to choose between the individual criminal or society at large, in a way. You can let the convict out into the arms of support services, where if he fails he may well create more victims, but where he has a better chance of succeeding, or you can keep society safe by locking everyone up at the cost of the criminals who you lock up, who disappear into the prison system.

After a while of playtime I'd build up a bank of the player's tendency to either lock people up or let them go and then confront them with the argument from the opposing side, just to really make them think. I'd probably do it in the context of them being assigned to a commission or an inquiry as a retired judge and forced to reflect on the post-sentencing life of all the convicts that they sentenced.

Just brainstorming though.
>>
Maybe you oughta make it so some cases are flawed. You have to sentence someone you think might be innocent but the jury found guilty, perhaps? It could add some variety if every now and then you find out that someone you sentenced was later exonerated after further evidence came to light
>>
>>378400934
Not a bad idea.
>>
Haven't read your thread but
I read about a case recently where a sandwich shop specifiied in their lease contract that no other sandwich shops could be added in the minimall, and they tried to sue when a burrito place opened up. That would be a fun case to play.

Also I've always wanted to play a game version of the BTAS episode where Batman is tried by Arkham inmates. Maybe it could switch over to Gordon every once in a while and he could solve puzzles.

Oh I just read the op and what I said is probably useless.
>>
>>378401412
I've debated with my friend what really defines a sandwich. He says sandwiches are his favorite food, because there are so many different types. He considers burritos a form of sandwich.
It could be funny to watch something like this unfold in a legal setting, if the humor is done well.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.