[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>it's too video gamey What do they mean by this? Seriously,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1361658929237.png (274KB, 468x537px) Image search: [Google]
1361658929237.png
274KB, 468x537px
>it's too video gamey
What do they mean by this?
Seriously, Whats wrong with games feeling video gamey.
>pic unrelated
>>
>>378368968
Meaning they don't like fun, they want the game to be realistic and not campy, exaggerated or silly.
>>
>>378369310
Those people sound like faggots, Haven't some games on review sites had points taken away for the game being too videogamey?
>>
>>378368968
>only hear about this complaint in /v/
Literally no one has said this. What the fuck is something too "video gamey"?
>>
File: Addams Family, The (J)-0000.png (14KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Addams Family, The (J)-0000.png
14KB, 256x224px
>>378369427
I don't pay attention to reviews I play games.
>>
>>378368968
is raocow retarded or just autistic?
>>
>>378369482
i believe it's something bioware said when someone asked why me3 had no boss fights
>>
File: CxatFNlWgAAiczo.jpg (124KB, 790x882px) Image search: [Google]
CxatFNlWgAAiczo.jpg
124KB, 790x882px
>>378368968
/v/ reactionaries think it means "people who hate Tetris because it is fun." The sentiment really refers to an attitude of indifference on the part of the designer to passively include elements and mechanics not because they fit into the game's design or the narrative but because the designer perceives it as 'expected' or 'time tested' of a video game.
You know how in Bioshock inside trash cans you find bags of potato chips and packs of cigarettes? Just by looking at the indistinct looking trash can the character can see those items? And with another tap of the use key, the character instantly eats/smokes them without ever lifting a finger.
And this is meant to be a 'serious game' with a 'thought-provoking message.' A 'Citizen Kane' if you will. That's the true meaning of "TOO VIDEO GAMEY."
>>
>>378370920
He's a normal guy who just decided to never let go of the wacky random monkey cheese schtick he started like 10 years ago because he's established a small but loyal fanbase who enjoys him.

I still watch his stuff every morning.
>>
>>378373315
I'm subscribed, don't often watch them but it's nice seeing them around, especially since some old internet personalities have ghosted or killed themselves
>>
The only time I have ever felt something was "too videogamey" was playing Xcom EU. Aliens are attacking the city, do you spread out to identify the enemy's locations before engaging them? Hell no you move two squares at a time until you cause the aliens who are apparently just jerking off and not actually terrorizing anybody to start fighting you, and if you don't do this on any difficulty above normal you get fucked.
>>
>>378372706
This. Honestly, "too video gamey" is a bad way to convey that because people deliberately want to misunderstand that, it would be more fitting to just call it inconsistent design.
>>
>>378370920
well he's french canadian;
so yes.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (128KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
128KB, 1920x1080px
>>378368968
>Whats wrong with games feeling video gamey.
I don't know, Why is there a person immune to tranquilizer darts and takedowns in the middle of my pacifist run? Why am I confined to a small room with no way to escape unless I murder my way out? Stupid shitty outsourced boss fights.
>>
>>378370992
Don't know the exact way how Bioware phrased their argument, but I'm actually glad that they dropped that Illusive Man final boss idea they had. Not because I hate boss fights out of principle, quite contrary, but I just felt that both ME1 and ME2 had really bad final boss fights that certainly didn't make the finales any better.

Especially the ME1 finale was really bad, I remember thinking that it would be cool if you really could win Saren just by arguing why he's wrong, but nope - you will end up fighting a pointless final boss anyway, no matter how the conversation ends. It's probably the only time I've ever thought that "oh, you really had to include a final boss because a video game needs a mandatory end boss?".
>>
>>378373816
Same with people who go "I hate boss fights." No they don't actually hate the concept of big enemies, they're just sick of poorly paced encounters and bosses that require you to do-the-same-trick-three-times-to-win. You know what's an example of a game that both would make people hate boss fights and is too video gamey? The new Shantae game. That game is like it was planned and executed on auto-pilot.
>>
>>378374241
Human Revolution boss fights are really the perfect example of "too videogamey". They feel like they are there just to fulfill some arbitrary idea that video games need boss fights, even when the actual gameplay is extremely ill-suited for such encounters.
>>
>>378369482
Some indie devs use it for their walking simulators. They're game isn't designed to be video gamey, or they dislike video games that are too video gamey and want to make it an experience instead
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.