[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it seem like most people prefer the first Golden Sun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 533
Thread images: 83

File: 256px-Gsbox.jpg (29KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
256px-Gsbox.jpg
29KB, 256x255px
Why does it seem like most people prefer the first Golden Sun to The Lost Age? I always found the latter to be much more engaging, with far cooler areas in the world. You got to visit the wolf town, some of the native tribes, some of the tropical islands, and finally getting to Lemuria was a sweet pay off after hearing about it in the first game.

Of course I understand the appeal of the first game, it had that newness to it, but it feels a bit flatter to me.
>>
Lost Age was like twice as long when it really didn't need to be.
>>
Does the story end with 2 or is 3 necessary to see the story come to a conclusion?

I've beaten 1 when I was a kid and beaten 2 about 50%, but I forgot most of it and now I will play 1,2 and 3 again.
>>
>>378367816
Because the sense of wonder and the uncertain but optimistic way the first half ended left a more emotional impression than Lost Age.
>>
>>378367816
The problem with TLA is just how shitty some parts of the game can get.

Air's rock takes the cake, but having the majority of the game take place in the eastern sea was just annoying. The western sea was a lot better imo, but it had far less locations to explore.
>>
File: 1197512998905.jpg (100KB, 449x650px) Image search: [Google]
1197512998905.jpg
100KB, 449x650px
>>378367816
Lost Age felt like it tried too hard to tie up all the plot lines the first game left dangling, and then did the whole "well Prox wasn't bad guys at all!" Bullshit at the end. Lost age also had the dumb bonus bosses that were gimmick to the max.

That said, TLA did give us a full game's worth of Jenna and cutest summon.
>>
>>378368974
1 + 2 are one story where as 3 is separate but it helps if you play the other 2 before hand
>>
File: 1197512998909.jpg (126KB, 600x768px) Image search: [Google]
1197512998909.jpg
126KB, 600x768px
C U T E
U
T
E
>>
>>378369287

I thought Air's Rock was pretty fucking epic desu. It's nice when a dungeon comes to be known as just a really massive, almost insurmountable obstacle. The original didn't really have an "oh shit" dungeon like Air's Rock.
>>
>>378367816

I could never finish tla. I just couldn't care about felix and his band of annoying bitches. Isaac and garet were just 2 bros on an adventure to save the world
>>
>>378367816
I thought TLA was better but then again I played the games out of order starting with TLA so maybe I'm just biased because I played it first.

I think the story is alright and the dungeons are good. Not top tier but all around fairly solid. Most of my complaints are nitpicks. The rocks were long and complex and I hated them as a kid but now I think they were good dungeons that really tested your party's endurance. All I really remember wanting as a kid was to be able to explore the land and areas from the original Golden sun, probably a product of playing the sequel first. I know you could glitch onto the continent but you couldn't explore towns like Vale or dungeons like the Venus Lighthouse.

My absolute biggest complaint about the game was the fucking password system holy fucking shit. That was awful. Why the fuck did the gold password need to be six pages long. What were they thinking?
>>
>>378370067
They wanted you to buy a 2nd gba and a link cable.
>>
File: 1386522649802.gif (2MB, 340x300px) Image search: [Google]
1386522649802.gif
2MB, 340x300px
>>378367816
Golden Sun is way more focused; shorter too, but doesn't really drag anyway either. It's definitely easier too, since the game is a lot more broken in your favor but the fun kind of busted. 1's story has a really nice hook, and some interesting places to visit (particularly the lighthouses; both are super memorable) while 2's story drags some but has GREAT places to visit too.

Also just a personal opinion but I like Isaac's Yes/No quips better than felix's. In the original, Isaac's No can get a lot pretty amusing reactions from the party while only a couple get you anything in TLA. Mostly when you harass or shittalk Kraden. Also 1's villains are so much better than 2's, save Alex.
>>
File: 35153183.jpg (99KB, 450x615px) Image search: [Google]
35153183.jpg
99KB, 450x615px
>>378369287
Not only that, but the balance was shit. Like unless you were terribly underleveled there was not a single important fight that wasn't free.

Dark dawn was like that but worse. You had to go out of your way for any of the fights to have any challenge to them.
>>
Some parts of the TLA I had no fucking idea where to go. There were some parts, where you had to sail to very specific locations, that you just have no fucking idea where they were.
>>
>>378370537
really, i always find TLA to be more difficult than the original, even if you don't count the bonus bosses. Having said that none of the games are really all that challenging
>>
Is Alex brought up in Dark Dawn?
I was really excited to see the power of the Golden Sun and what would become of it at the end of TLA, but all we got was that cut-scene with Alex that felt underwhelming. I want to know what became of his efforts other than what was obviously hinted: getting fucked up by The Wise One.
>>
>>378370732
Oh god don't remind me.
>Figure out I need to get to Lemuria
>find it by accident
>LEL CURRENT PUZZLE
>manage to figure out how to get past one
>find a star-shaped rock, realize the fucking kids song in Yallam is the key to solving the puzzle.
>go back and write shit down.
>get through the maze.
>LEL POSIDEON
>"well fuck I guess it's time to boss battle. Let's get this over with"
>LEL CANT BE DAMAGED

>get no hints that you need to get the trident of Ankhol reforged by Briggs's grandma without happening to explore for shiggles.

I don't remember being that pissed, but that shit would NEVER fly today.
>>
>>378371370
Yeah he's all over the place towards the end and iirc a part of it's cliffhanger ending.
>>
The Lost Age had a lot of really tedious and long puzzle areas, and I got to the Mars Lighthouse and accidentally deleted my save.

So that's my reasoning for liking the first one better.
>>
Mia > Sheba > Ivan > Shit > Jenna
Can we all gree?
>>
>>378368974
1 & 2 are a single story. 3 was supposed to be released with a 4th game after but it flopped and the story was so shit (basically the whole main quest is a filler for what was supposed to be covered in 4) that it was cancelled.
>>
File: GSDDAce.jpg (114KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GSDDAce.jpg
114KB, 800x1000px
>>378371370
Yes.
You still don't get to fight him.
>>
>>378371454
>>378371529
Sweet. I was really hoping that TLA wasn't the last of him. That would be a major disappointment.
>>
>>378367816
I always preferred the Lost Age. Gs1 was way too linear for me, and I like the fact that you get a much larger map to explore in tla. Also better music
>>
>>378368974
>he doesn't know
Anon I . ..
>>
>>378371467
Yes.
>>
>>378371529
Gs4 never... I hope Camelot gets 1 more chance to redeem themselves; the ending to dd was shite, and the entire game was mediocre
>>
>>378371370
He is still alive and fucking shit up as usual. It's not clear what happened between him and The Wise One, but it didn't stop him from restarting an alchemy machine and being Amiti's father as well as something involving the psyenergy vortexes, including the giant one that spawned at Isaac and Garet's house at the end of the game.
>>
>>378371370
>Is Alex brought up in Dark Dawn?
Yes, he's in and one of your party members is implied to be his son.
>>
if you did it correctly the lost age starts out with slaving over a shit ton of manual entry game code or finding a friend with a gba link and a game boy you could borrow.
best case scenario you give the first game to your friend but still. setting the tone with a long code or awkward interaction is not good

also people remember the first one because they thought it would be one tidy story up until the end. the second one you knew they weren't going to wrap it up and keep milking it like final fantasy but they lacked the steam to do so
>>
File: 24094608.jpg (74KB, 385x578px) Image search: [Google]
24094608.jpg
74KB, 385x578px
>>378371467
>Jenna anywhere not best tier

Thankfully if you put her up top the rest of the list still works.
>>
>>378367816
saturos fight
the ship segment
tolbi
the collosus
venus lighthouse
>>
>>378371832
its more than implied, the JP instruction book had a family tree that explicitly confirms it.
>>
>>378367816
Because it was the first one they played, that's the reason Hans is the most popular character, Both The Lost Age and Felix are objectively better
>>
>>378371924
>Liking dumb and annoying girls
Mars adepts are only good for bullying
>>
>>378371983
>the ship segment
This is the part I always dread when replaying GS. It's a fine challenge, but it goes on for way too long.
>>
>>378372229

Who the fuck is Hans?
>>
File: family_tree.png (66KB, 185x163px) Image search: [Google]
family_tree.png
66KB, 185x163px
>>378371467
>Miafags
>>
>>378372051
Damn, that's dumb, why would they think that it's a good idea to spoil that in the instruction book?
>>
I only played TLA and I got stuck at the first area for a week because I didn't know you can use magic outside of battle.
Kid me was fucking stupid
Also got stuck at going to Lemuria for three weeks.
Nice fucking game design
>>
>>378372441
Sorry, I named him like that, I meant Isaac
>>
Was I the only one that as soon as I got access to the ship I went straight in the direction Briggs went to fuck his shit up? I was actually pleased by the result
>>
File: 1197512998904.jpg (122KB, 975x750px) Image search: [Google]
1197512998904.jpg
122KB, 975x750px
>>378372253
>not liking a girl whose magic literally draws on her own passion to operate
>not liking redheads
>not liking gish

L I T E R A L L Y pleb tier. Enjoy your wet cold fish.
>>
>>378372441
Isaac had a different name in every translation.
Japanese = Robin
French = Vlad
Spanish = Hans
>>
>>378367816
Alright, real talk /v/.

How many of you STILL remember the RNG manip math to get the K-sword in GS1, or any of the Fate staves in TLA?
>>
>>378372836
I really like fire themed healing magic. I wish more games did it.
>>
>>378372876
Seriously? I remember naming him like that, weird
>>
>tfw can't enjoy any other JRPG as much as GS because it was my first
>>
>>378372836
>Bitch so stupid he has to pull her psynergy out of her "heart"
>Meanwhile I'm bathing in warm healing water with a big titted girl that will eventually learn how to fucking teleport
Mars adepts are dumb as a brick. One step above being literally retarded.
>>
TLA is a huge fucking slog with tons of annoying padding and god help you if you put the game down for a week or something after you get the ship because the game gives zero fucking indication of what you were doing or where you need to be going next.

It never does anything new or interesting compared to the original to justify it either. "More of the same" isn't inherently bad for a sequel, but I honestly don't think TLA is worth the time investment.
>>
Why does the world end if you decline the offer at the start of GS since its revealed in TLA that they were actually saving the world?
>>
>>378373026
I recently did a run of both games and had to manipulate RNG to get all of the ultimate equipment. I'm probably never doing that again.
Also, Sunshine the blacksmith can fuck himself.
>>
literal babbies going

>i-i didn't know what to do and if the game doesn't hold my hand then it's bad!!! ;__;

fucking niggers, one of the best things about TLA is that sense of adventure when you sail for the first time, because you're free to do whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>378373361
Maybe Alex eventually destroyed it.
>>
>>378372876
The spanish translation had other weird name changes.
For example, Sheba is called Sole. Wich is fucking weird because Sole is a shorter name for Soledad, a name that means Loneliess in spanish.
So you end up thinkig Sheba is called Loneliness the whole time.
>>
>>378372229
>Objectively

There's that word again.
>>
>>378373281
>Bitch that's entirely reliant on faith in some shitty fairy goddess to get any heals at all.
>Meanwhile I'm balls deep in a sexy firebrand that's so pent up she's begging for my dick.

>Im-fucking-plying you wouldn't be eternally cucked by a frozen-hearted bitch.

Check and mate.
>>
>>378373361
Presumably because they failed to recruit a Jupiter, since Sheba ultimately joining felix and company was a by the luck sort of thing that would have never happened without isaac, and Ivan would still be trying to get Hammet's stick and/or hammet.
>>
>>378373524
You are retarded and I bet you're stupid enough to think "djinni randomly spawn in a featureless patch of grass with no possible way for you to know without a guide" is a good idea too.
>>
>>378373505
Thing is, once you understood the math behind it, it was free to manip those uber rare drops. Every time I see a surprise round I manip'd because at worst it's a free must potion and usually something a lot better.
>>
>>378367816
its an amazing game for sega saturn
>4 disc of strategy rpg goodness and never goes stale
>music by motoi sakuraba who also did golden sun
>linked to a game called shining the holy ark
>there's a translation
>made by the same team btw
you should play this game trilogy at least once
you won't regret it
(I have put about 100 hours so far into the game)
>>
>>378374254
forgot image oops
>>
>>378373361
Because if you take the mars star and do fuckall with it then the world finishes eroding and then weyard is ded.
>>
>>378374078
I mean in fairness it was easy to want to explore those, they had no other reason to be there.
>>
>>378373361
>implying saturos, menardi, kat, agatio, alex, felix or sheba could've done all the shit they did by their own

the stone one eyed guy would've stopped them or killed them.
i doubt they could've even got to lemuria let alone save the world.
>>
File: 1345525875411.png (65KB, 292x315px) Image search: [Google]
1345525875411.png
65KB, 292x315px
>>378367816

I liked lost age more because the summons were a lot better

>mfw the first time seeing catastrophe
>>
Generally, I saw people who played RPGs like Lost Age more while more commonly, regular players like the original.
I like the original more because it flowed better, had better characters and a better balance of gameplay and story.
TLA had a lot more diversity in spells, weapons, classes, Djinn, puzzles and more but you never much cared for characters. More time is spent in dungeons and battles in TLA than in GS. Kraden is your mouthpiece for the whole game, instead of discovering "new" things.

I love all the Golden Sun games and will always wish there could be a new entry.
>>
>>378378287
Won't happen, unless Camelot pulls a Fire Emblem and makes it a waifu sim.
>>
>>378372498
Dude I got stuck the first time you enter the ship, I couldn't figure out that you had to move the big post onto the spot, and then use douse.

Lemuria stumped the shit out of me because I never saw the rope outside of that fucker's house. I was literally stuck there until my Mom bought me a player's guide
>>
>>378378287
I think both games are just about equal. But TLA does do some things better then the first.
>>
>>378376471
The wise one didn't do shit to actually try and stop them especially after Issac and crew join Felix at the Jupiter lighthouse. If Issac and crew hadn't have gotten involved altogether. The only thing keeping them from saving the world if you say no in the first game is the fact of the were only able to get 3 stars and the Mars lighthouse would have fell in the abyss by the time they realized you weren't going to follow them.
>>
>>378379536
>The only thing keeping them from saving the world if you say no in the first game is the fact of the were only able to get 3 stars and the Mars lighthouse would have fell in the abyss by the time they realized you weren't going to follow them.
That and the fact the game flat out states Saturos and Menardi were too stupid to get through the lighthouse puzzles
>>
>>378374078

You literally have to walk over a patch of grass while exploring the map, you are such a fucking baby holy shit
>>
>>378367816
>Of course I understand the appeal of the first game, it had that newness to it, but it feels a bit flatter to me

Maybe TLA feels flatter to people because you find out THE WORLD IS FLAT AYYYY

I loved both of these games, not sure which I prefer. I would have said the first one back in the day, just because I like the cast of protagonists and antagonists better and the introduction to Golden Sun's world is fantastic, but TLA has some fantastic twists and you learn so much more about the state of the world and its lore. Lemuria had some incredible lore, the level at the end of the world was sick, and the reveal for Saturos and Menardi's goals (and the fate of the people of Prox) was pretty gripping. Also better gameplay, with the full roster of heroes and djinn summons and class combinations, with some nice optional bosses that actually offered a challenge.

Some of The Lost Age's environments were a bit lackluster, though. Struggling to remember them, which is a problem. But I remember thinking some of the palette swaps were a bit lazy (Air's Rock's textures are just purple desert...). Lighthouses in both games were a highlight.
>>
>>378379771
Yeah but not Felix that was why they brought him to begin with, to solve puzzles
>>
>>378379819
It's really only a problem in the 3rd game since some of them were permanently missable.
>>
>>378367816
Same shit as PM64 vs TTYD

The original is a small perfect package that knows exactly when to stop and how to provide side content. The small scope benefited the pacing.

The sequel improves on every aspect but becomes a full fledged RPG and loses that charm of being a short yet fun game you can replay time again simply because it takes so much longer and completing it 100% may seem tedious at times.

Basically the sequel is better in every mechanical aspect but the simplicity of the original can still be attractive.
>>
>>378380947
>to begin with
No that was because earth.

The puzzle aspect was just a nice plus. I'm sure alex is just as smart as felix.
>>
I just hate how barren Lost Age is. Each continent had, at most, four locations. Why make such a big map when there is nothing in it?
>>
>>378384390
It has less towns but equal areas with all the small caves and side areas.

If the ocean content wasnt all over it wouldve filled the continents nicely
>>
I think my biggest complaint with TLA is that it makes the entire first game unnecessary by having it star Felix.
>I know the game just started but we are actually trying to save the world just in case you forgot. So saith me, Kraden, Lord of Lore.
I like the idea of being the bad guy but save that shit for when Isaac confronts you or something.
>>
>>378384839
>it makes the entire first game unnecessary

Not really. Without the first we wouldnt know the story before 2, and playing felix with the only objective being follow saturos or menardi while they do all the combat one-shotting every creature would be a boring game

Even though thats literally the plot of gs1, follow those rude dudes with tudes
>>
>>378367816
isaac>felix
>>
>>378382881
But you forget Alex was never there when needed, if he was then the boulder would have never fell.
>>
>>378385496
>But you forget Alex was never there when needed
So they got a shit partner for the brains because he had too many brains and other plans.

If alex wasnt a cock tease the whole game he might have helped more so yeah I can see that
>>
>>378372491
>"Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister."
what did Felix mean by this?
>>
>>378367816
post waifus desu
>>
>>378386609
Like he gave a fuck. He probably helped get New Vale started, Isaac asked if he could fuck his sister, he said "Yeah, whatever" and fucked off to do whatever.
>>
>>378386609
Well he was kidnapped for much of their childhood
>>
>>378388078
>We'll never get to know what Felix did after TLA
T-Thanks a lot DD.
>>
>>378388403
That's good, it means Felix x Sheeba will never be destroyed by canon
>>
Felix >>>>>> Dogshit >>>>>>>>>>>> Isaac

prove me wrong, protip: you can't
>>
>>378367816
I still have this game and a working NintendoDS. Could someone tell me how far I was in the game; I was in the desert with a few tornadoes circling 'round, and whenever one of those hit you, you were forced into a battle against a giant lizard or something. I literally couldn't progress since I couldn't make the trip back to the Church or go forward since they were so strong.
>>
>>378388554
I guess.
>>
>>378388695
Near the end. There were only 2 or 3 dungeons after that.
>>
>>378388692
Fuck off Sheba.

>>378388695
Very late. That's gotta be the second to last dungeon.
>>
As bad as dark dawn was leaving the series with a cliffhanger is worse. 4th game when?
>>
>>378373264
This, honestly. I place an over abundance of nostalgia on the GBA JRPGs I played: BoF2, Golden Sun, and so on, pretty much just because they were solid JRPGs I happened to play before any others.
>>
Am I the only one who ships Mia/Felix?
>>
>>378390457
I sure hope so
>>
File: banjo bandicoot.jpg (343KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
banjo bandicoot.jpg
343KB, 1920x1080px
>>378389509
We'll just have to make it ourselves!
>>
>>378376903
totally agree, i thought judgement was dope and then i found catastrophe
>childhood vidya boner moment forsure
>>
>>378372498
I played TLA first and got stuck at the start for the same reason. Fond memories.
>>
So did anyone ever actually bother or try the link battle?
I did once. It was pretty jank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOU9GFABVew
>>
File: TalesOfGoldenSun.jpg (262KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
TalesOfGoldenSun.jpg
262KB, 1280x719px
>This will never exist
>>
>>378390874
;_;
>>
File: 1492632633779.jpg (267KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492632633779.jpg
267KB, 720x720px
>>378388692
>tfw they finally gave Isaac a voice since Felix was not the mute
>he's an asshole
Wasn't expecting that, that's for sure.
>>
>>378393232
Felix was kind of a chunni asshole in the first game, so I guess they just pass that ball around.
>>
>>378391591
>golden sun's random battle frequency but with the loading and animation times of full 3d

I think I'd rather kill myself.
>>
>>378391591
I thought Piers was more buff, but I might have been projecting since he's a tank
>>
>>378367816
was it just me or were the stories and characters for this very un-engaging and underdeveloped?

i thought the dungeons were well fleshed out tho
>>
>>378367816
Its a lot easier to pick up and play the first game because its pretty linear compared to TLA's midgame. TLA was a little too easy for its own good after a while though (nothing a good hack can't fix anyway).
>>
>>378393932
To be fair. He is kinda muscular. Not overly so though.
>>
>>378393932
I felt the same way.

I always saw him as a buff seafaring sort of guy.
His classes might have made me think that though since he really doesnt even knkow how to boat much when you meet him
>>
>>378389509
There's no Dark Dawn anon, I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
GS Switch announcement when
>>
>>378394003
Golden Sun is one of those "the best story bits are all the lore and character things you run into." And maybe the kind of standard by this point twist of "you actually have to do the opposite of what you were told starting out."

I think I preferred the TLA cast to the original. The interactions feel fresher because they're this group of ex-villains and weird side characters and Piers from the first game. There was no dedicated Meat Head guy, so the comedy had to up the ante a wee bit. Shame the villains were lamer.
>>
>>378394354
Just after the new advance wars comes out.
>>
>>378394458
>Golden Sun is one of those "the best story bits are all the lore and character things you run into."
care to elaborate? sounds like you are saying the story is bland for the most part, with the exception of a few good things here or there.
>>
>>378390874
if only SEGA had the Golden Sun IP damn it

at least the Lost Age editor exist
>>
File: GSTLA_editor9.png (137KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
GSTLA_editor9.png
137KB, 512x384px
and speaking of hack tools

has anyone tried doing nifty romhacks of Golden Sun 2 with the Lost Age Editor?
>>
>>378395047
the side characters and backstory is stronger than the plot you play through is probably what he meant and I would agree.

Shit lunpa is better than most of the game if you like story because it makes the towns feel connected so much more.
>>
File: Buggy Bwahaha.gif (949KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Buggy Bwahaha.gif
949KB, 320x180px
>>378394675
>tfw Ninty and IntSys literally allowed indie devs to release a straight up AW clone on the Switch
>>
File: cruel ruin.jpg (93KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cruel ruin.jpg
93KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>378394003
No, the whole game is mediocre as fuck. The only reason GS was successful was because it was a not completely shit jrpg on a handheld. On the gba alone stuff like super star sage, mother 3, tactics ogre, and even the pokemon games are so much better.
>>
File: NO!!!!.png (17KB, 622x704px) Image search: [Google]
NO!!!!.png
17KB, 622x704px
>>378395838
>had to grind all those Wonder Birds to cope with that bullshit attack
>>
I use to have a file for 1 where I grinded all the characters to 52 because thats the highest level for new psynergy. Got all the ultimate weapons as well obviously but fuck did that take forever in the first game, thank god for the lure cap. Still got the code saved on my PC in case I replay 2.
>>
File: gs2hack_09.png (9KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
gs2hack_09.png
9KB, 240x160px
>>378395387
There's a patch that makes a dedicated int stat for mages. If you're willing to mess around a bit you can create a really good rebalance.

Aside from that, there's a rebalance hack for GS1 and 2 floating around that makes the game harder and added some extra stuff.
>>
This game looks fantastic on tiny screens.

Traditional sprite work looks better blown up on a tv though. This game hurts to play on a TV through VC or emu
>>
>>378395387
Did anybody ever make a romhack of the two games rolled into one with the password transfer being automatic or is that outside what's possible?
>>
>>378369839
This. Combined with Air's Rock OST made it seem like a huge atmospheric dungeon to be conquered.
>>
File: Weyard.jpg (95KB, 799x591px) Image search: [Google]
Weyard.jpg
95KB, 799x591px
>>378395047
It's more that exploring the world itself with all its weird but vaguely familiar to the real world things you run into. The setting and NPCs essentially. The story itself is literally just "bad dudes attacked your town, kidnapped your girl, and want to unleash an ancient evil on the world" until you get to the second game. And even then the jig isn't really up until about halfway through. Most of the characters aren't anything to write home about either, but you spend most of the game with them so it stands out more. They're these sort of simple set of interactions that are then used to elaborate on what you run into. The art direction of the dungeons was neat, and you run into some interesting concepts vis-a-vis the international politicking you run into and the weird shit the local magic equivalent has created. Your teams go from town to town, dungeon to dungeon, having little mini adventures with the local flavor and a lot of it connects together with each other in organic ways.

The story essentially follows some Eastern Europeans chasing crazy Arctic folk into Scandinavia and Russia, down into central Asia, over to Tibet and China and back through the Mediterranean. They follow the thread with the Romans/Greeks into North Africa where they confront the villains and end the first game. Then you follow the other guys as they crazy into an India that hasn't hit Asia yet, dick around in Australia and the Pacific, with a detour to mess with tribal Sub-Saharan African rituals until they can find Atlantis. Then it's off to the Americas and the people left there after a bunch fucked off to form the moon. Then it's off to the Arctic to save the dragon people and the World. There's a good blend of fantasy versions of real world cultures and typical JRPG nonsense you don't see a lot on this kind of scope.
>>
File: Flandre_Scarlet.jpg (93KB, 900x753px) Image search: [Google]
Flandre_Scarlet.jpg
93KB, 900x753px
>>378395387
some touhoufag manage to hack in Flandre in the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ju_vVbaoY
>>
File: OwO.jpg (148KB, 750x696px) Image search: [Google]
OwO.jpg
148KB, 750x696px
>>378396724
>"Flandre uses Heat Kiss!"
>literally braps it out
really makes you think
>>
>>378396693
I never realized weyward was so similar to earth.

neat
>>
>>378396596
Nah, it wouldn't be possible due to the way how the games work. Although for what its worth, a very large chunk of GS1's data is in 2.
>>
>>378397072
Dang, great idea for a remake though.
>>
>>378397160
What could a remake even do for GS anyway?
>>
>>378368974
the third begins with a threat "the rifts" and ends with "OH SHIT we forgot about the rifts" aka the entire game is filler. there's literally no reason to play it.
>>
>>378396724
Why are touhoufags so fucking autistic with their little girl power level shit?
>>
>>378370732
>>378371371
I feel like at the time it was cool to just explore the world and figure stuff out but yes, today I'm starved for game time as is, so something like that would just anger me. It's kind of a shame really because I think if I had infinite time I'd probably still enjoy something like that.
>>
>>378396090
>wonder birds
fuck me
>killing them with aqua djinn to get bonus exp
I miss my childhood
>>
>>378397608
blame ZUN
>only way for them to be all powerless if they get the D
>>
>>378397408
Balance the game, and give the characters more development.
>>
Don't mind me, just posting the only good thing about Dark Dawn.
Seriously, I'm almost considering replaying it just for her. Why was she so fucking good?
>>
>>378398647
Literally who?
Dark dawn was so unmemmorable except for that pink haired semen demon villian.
>>
File: 1386215306759.jpg (159KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1386215306759.jpg
159KB, 720x960px
>>378398647
>seemingly ancillary side character who ends up being super important to the main plot
>first not puny mage Jupiter adept
>interesting mechanics with the Djinn and her form change that doesn't rely on Summon Rushing or Psyenergy on top of that
Something something yiff in hell, though.

On the other hand, poor Himi. Just shunted into the game for the last fetch quest and gets no characterization. I think she even goes "who's that?" when Alex pops up.
>>
>>378398647
i want Beast Sveta to hug me
>>
File: b0186535_13232492.jpg (55KB, 450x562px) Image search: [Google]
b0186535_13232492.jpg
55KB, 450x562px
>>378398908
>poor Himi.

Poor Himi indeed. It must hurt being the most literally who member in GS a series that already has that issue in spades.
>>
File: dark dawn 1.jpg (147KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
dark dawn 1.jpg
147KB, 500x500px
>>378399034
It's too bad she couldn't be put earlier in the story, you recruit everybody at a pretty reasonable pace. The only place where she could have a spotlight is by accompanying you to get the third eye instead of being in a coma.
>>
>>378399563
I think the problem is we encounter 7/8 of the final original Duology party by the end of the first game, which isn't even really half of that overall play time. Then you spend a significant chunk of the second game fleshing out that second party and the one new addition before they all meet up again for the finale. Dark Dawn's pacing is all fucked, but it is somewhat serviceable for 7/8 of everyone in the game.

Her popping up earlier somehow before being recruited would be for the best, since that's sort of how the originals handled it too.
>>
>>378398647
>The only good thing
>Not Karis
>>
I can't believe I grinded on Wonder Swans until all my party members were level 99

Final playtime on that save was easily over 200 hours
>>
horseshit, GS2 is almost unanimously considered the best. It improved from GS1 in every way
>>
File: 1496034775357.gif (4MB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1496034775357.gif
4MB, 540x360px
>>378396063
you're forgetting about Summon Night Swordcraft Story 1-3

had great memories with that shit and Golden Sun
>>
>>378393514
if you don't like loading times
shining force 3 is a god send then
Holy shit is the loading fast for what it's pulling off
>>
>>378388554
Meh, I still do windshipping in my head, since TLA didn't really give us anything on the Felix end.
>>
>>378398647
So Matthew is definitely tapping that, right?
>>
File: 1468297804101.jpg (275KB, 692x702px) Image search: [Google]
1468297804101.jpg
275KB, 692x702px
>>378401728
Yes.
>>
File: 1494067142922.jpg (284KB, 1000x915px) Image search: [Google]
1494067142922.jpg
284KB, 1000x915px
>>378401728
>climactic sequence is Matthew getting up inside of her so they can sacrifice their lives together
I wonder if there's an autistic shipping fandom in Japan like there was (is?) in the US? It definitely feels like a thing where the impact in the US playerbase was larger because this was one of their first experiences with this nonsense and it came during the initial birthing pangs of modern internet fandoms. Like how Voltron is this big nostalgic thing in the West but it was just one of a million shitty mecha anime in Japan.
>>
Isaac and Felix are both better as mutes. Whenever they gain voices they become dicks.
>>
>>378402142
The shipping for GS went more crazy than just about anything in the west.

Look at this shit.

https://goldensunwiki.net/wiki/Shipping

LOOK AT IT.
>>
>>378402483
Dark Dawn sinking every ship except Isaac x Jenna was pretty great
>>
>>378402483
This is what happens when you dont define your characters enough.
People can self insert any trait into any character cause they have so little real development.
I've felt for awhile now that Sheba is the best character in GS cause she actually has some personality.
>>
>>378402665
Isaac x Jenna came outta left field for me. I didn't ship anyone in particular, but I really wasn't expecting that.
>>
>>378402483
GS was one of the earliest times I can ever remember hearing the term shipping. Man that shit used to be fierce.
>>
File: Shipping.png (39KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Shipping.png
39KB, 240x160px
>>378402831
Nah, it was always there
>>
>>378402831

It was pretty obvious. Classic childhood friend and she dropped hints of having a thing for isaac in both the prologue and in tla.
>>
>>378402925
I completely forgot about that. Probably because Jenna gets kidnapped twenty minutes into the game.
>>
>>378402831
Maybe not in the first game but all throughout Lost Age, whenever Sheba would talk to Jenna is was mostly about how much jenna wanted to bang Isaac.
>>
>>378402802
I tend to put her and Ivan together just because it feels like they can at least have a good friendship. Both grew up in towns where people were awed by or fearful of their power, both had to deal with being able to read everyone's mind (and thus knowing when someone had shitty thoughts with a smile on), both got wrapped up into the journey that had almost nothing to do with them at first.

Granted, they don't get a lot of screentime, so that messes with it, but I saw a story once someone had done where the two each had a vision of the other at some point before the games, and finding the other person became sort of a "driving force" to keep them both going, and then working together toward the destiny they saw in their visions, as sort of the only chance they might have for a happy life.
>>
Reminder that Isaac is the worst dad in the world.
>>
>>378403140
Why was this again?
>>
>>378403008
That's from the second game.
>>
>>378397408
What do remakes ever do?
>>
>>378403189
At the beginning of Dark Dawn, he didn't come to say goodbye to Matthew and the gang as they left home. His excuse was that he had to write a letter to Kraden.
>>
>>378403719
He did exactly what his mom did.
>>
>>378396063
You just don't know what you're talking about, along with everyone else that parrots this. The GBA had tons of RPGs ported and remastered on it. Most of those came from the Super Nintendo, a console that most kids with a GBA hadn't played beyond maybe one or two games because SNES games used to cost about triple what GBA ones did. RPG fans had plenty to play on the GBA, and Golden Sun stands on its own as a good game among the rest.
>>
If I had one vidya wish, it would be to replay these games as my child self. Holy fuck the hours I spent in these two games are some seriously fond memories.
>>
File: 2015-02-28_00003.jpg (96KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
2015-02-28_00003.jpg
96KB, 720x480px
>>378369839
I hated Air's Rock when I first got it but I learned to love it once I realized I didn't need to keep getting lost if I just noticed that every floor level is numbered on the bottom of every door/stairwell

My "Air's Rock" of GS1 was Altin. I kept getting lost in those damned mines.
>>
>>378370228
>>Also just a personal opinion but I like Isaac's Yes/No quips better than felix's. In the original, Isaac's No can get a lot pretty amusing reactions from the party while only a couple get you anything in TLA. Mostly when you harass or shittalk Kraden.

One thing that was pretty cool is that if you say "no" to Kraden every single time he says asks you something all the way until you get to Lemuria, he will blow the fuck up on you. It's a nice touch.
>>
Was anyone else really suspicious of Kraden at first?
>>
>>378371371
>>378397628
I kind of liked how the world just got super huge after you got the boat. It's like "Yeah here's a boat, go have fun exploring!"
Kind of interesting that in hindsight Golden Sun was my first JRPG and TLA was my first Open World game.

I forget the hint for Poseidon, but there definitely is one somewhere.
>>
I feel like Golden Sun TLA is amazing if you're a fan of games like Dragon Quest II, where you have to really just like sailing around looking for where to go.

Personally that shit is my jam and I thought it was a fantastic game. I loved all the optional dungeons and puzzles, and how there was so much to discover and see.
>>
I remember having a blast soft resetting for all the weapons you can forge out of the handful of materials you get.
>>
>>378367816

I preferred the original because the party was better, the story was better, and the dungeons were more fun.

I thought 2 was a slog because if the sailing and the boring segments like airs rock, the werewolf village, and the two Indian villages.

I expected so much new shit out of 2, like a lot of new classes and psynergies and combos of djinn but it was clearly just a disc 2 to the first game.

I really like the series and gameplay but it needs more and new. I love the djinn and class system. Does any other game have a system like that? Also loved how dungeon exploration was also affected by class and psynergies you needed.
>>
File: g_05.gif (18KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
g_05.gif
18KB, 240x160px
Golden Sun was the first game I ever got involved with an online community.

Shit, I remember reading gamefaqs and other golden sun forums just dying for info on "Golden Sun 2." My parents would take me to the library and I'd spend most of my time on Golden Sun fanpages. We only had dial-up at home. I remember being there on gamefaqs when the first screenshots came out for TLA and everyone freaking out that we were playing as Felix and Jenna instead of continuing on the boat with Isaac. Ahh, the sweet memories.
>>
>>378405268
I actually loved the werewolf village. Also, maybe this was just me, but I thought it was really interesting how varied and diverse the cultures were on all the places you visited. It really did a great job of painting all the locations as very distinct from one another, and gave the continents flavor.

>>378405340
I honestly never really understood the hugely involved shipping fanbase Golden Sun had. But then again I do think Felix and Sheba are cute, so I'm a hypocrite.
>>
File: 1490054803219.jpg (158KB, 1271x1814px) Image search: [Google]
1490054803219.jpg
158KB, 1271x1814px
>>378405250
>Mfw I learned as an adult that you can manipulate the RNG to affect what you get.
>>
>>378402831
>>378403051
>>378402483

In the first game if you bring Mia back to Vale everyone expects Isaac and Mia to hook up, pretty sure someone even goes "what about Jenna?" Nonetheless I was a mudshipper until TLA came out.

>tfw you still remember the shipping names
>>
Even after all these years, I still remember some of the music, mainly Vale, Venus lighthouse, battle music, Trent, Tolbi ship, and boss music.

What really blew me away was the thief village and the guy that lived for like 1000 years off some elixir. All that optional shit you could miss in one playthrough. And all the hidden items and djinn too.
>>
>>378405936
Venus Lighthouse and the inner Sol sanctum music are GOAT.
>>
>>378405936

Aw shit, I just remembered that random Scottish king. And that pot puzzle you ha to do. I remember being 11 at the time and being amazed at the game. A friend let me borrow the game and I played the hell out of it and then bought my own.

Wish these games were more difficult. JRPGs usually give you no reason to max level or give you challenges.
>>
>>378405936
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8J_lU5HFA

I still whistle the credits sequence sometimes. That shit felt amazing to hear after beating Doom Dragon and seeing Alex scale the mountain.
>>
>>378406161
>random Scottish king

My memory is drawing a blank, who are you talking about?
>>
>>378406290
I'd imagine Babi, the guy who was living off the Lemurian draught or whatever.

I always thought it was weird how he just died offscreen.
>>
>>378406003
>Venus Lighthouse
Still of the best final dungeons themes I heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SJsDCMyU9c&index=25&list=PLCD5E70634946E090
>>
>>378406290

McCloud, right? Remember that walled off town that had some people turn to trees because they were axing the sacred trees in the forest?
>>
>>378405892
Wasn't that Garet? Wasn't it Garet's family asking whether he was gonna pick Jenna or Mia?
>>
>>378406403

Jenna is Garett's sister, right?
>>
>>378406468
Jenna is Felix's sister. Garet is the guy Isaac left Vale with.
>>
>>378405936
I liked how Gaia Rock was actually different from the rest of the Rocks with a boss and an actual story behind it. Fucking virgin sacrifices to a dragon lol

>>378406353
oh, I always thought Tolbi was supposed to be Rome. One thing I didn't like about DD was that it had too much of a time skip and you didn't get to see the ramifications of Tolbi's death on the rest of Angara and the future of Lemuria. And what happened to Lunpa?!

>>378406387
oh, Bilibin and Lord McCoy! His wife was a bitch.
>>
File: 1462173078739.jpg (156KB, 394x640px) Image search: [Google]
1462173078739.jpg
156KB, 394x640px
>there are people here who would be any other type of Adept other than Jupiter
Mind Reading was the best thing ever, did that shit to every NPC in the game.
>>
>tfw no Golden Sun on Switch inspired by TLA and follows the story of Felix's and Sheba's children

Wew lad
>>
>>378406694

Speaking of, does your Nintendo account follow you on the Switch and can you access any of the games you bought off the virtual console? Surely it would be literally nothing to just include emulators into every new generation.
>>
>>378406692
And reveal. Used that shit everywhere that pattern showed up
>>
>>378406692
>Implying I didn't mindread whenever I could
>>
>>378406403
I think Garet's parents made a pass at her, but some of the other girls in Vale specifically asked Isaac about Mia. I think it was also in some mindreads.
>>
Avatar: the last air bender ripped off golden sun. Sad.
>>
>>378378287
TLA had WAY better party interactions though, Jenna and Sheba's dialogue was way better than the shit Garet spewed all of the first game, Piers was kinda boring but not as much so as Mia was

Ivan was the only party member in the first game with a personality worth a damn
>>
File: 1495575549894.png (146KB, 861x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495575549894.png
146KB, 861x960px
>>378367816
The Lost Age was a direct upgrade sequel over Golden Sun and Dark Dawn was a watered down, limbless, abortion filled with furrie bait. Fuck Camelot for that one. The game was obviously rushed and/or had budget problems during development but even the cut content wouldn't have made up for the rest of the game. Puzzles were braindead and easier than the first 2 games, practically no side bosses, still included missable djinn AND summons, could literally auto-attack through the entire game, writing was awful, character cameos were avoided for copout reasons, no depth added to combat, what the fuck happened? You were the chosen one
>>
/v/, I need some actual thoughts here.

I have Golden Sun on Wii U. I've beaten Dark Dawn, but never played The Lost Age. I've heard it's the best in the series. If I get it on Wii U, can I still transfer data from GS using the code thing (I forget exactly how it works), and is it worth it if I've already played Dark Dawn?
>>
>>378407037

By design. Garet was the hot head, Ivan was the brains, Mia was the quiet healer love interest for everyone, and Issac was the Player insert.
>>
>>378407227
>Issac

Irrelevant, but I fucking hate when people misspell "Isaac".
>>
>>378407132
Can't answer about how transferring works on Wii U, I'd imagine it's via code, but you really should play TLA. The fact that you played DD should have no effect on this.

I think the only item you really need from GS1 is the Cleric Ring for cursed items, otherwise you can use the short code for the GS1 side quest rewards and djinni. There used to be a code generator program because people figured out how to abuse that shit.
>>
>>378407132
The code needs to be manually recorded (like with a pen and paper) then manually inputted so it should work fine.
>>
>>378407132

Just look up the passwords and enter them before you play the game. Yeah, you can choose to carry over stuff.
>>
>Jenna gets her own battle theme thats cool as fuck when she's in the lead
Not like I'm complaining, but I always thought that was bizarre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgIjcGYmoyc
>>
>>378405892
I always thought Mia and Issac just made more sense since there was nothing in the first game to even hint at him and Jenna.
>>
>>378406837
>Speaking of, does your Nintendo account follow you on the Switch and can you access any of the games you bought off the virtual console
>Nintendo
>giving up a chance to further jew you out of your money for games you've already bought
Hope you like buying that GBA game again, anon.

Truth is there's no official word either way. History doesn't inspire much confidence on this matter, but they did ease up on the Region Locking this time and now region free is even fucking better than it's ever been, Nintendo or otherwise. We'll probably get some info on their paid online at E3 what with ARMS launching right after it, and since that includes rental use of a VC game (lol) they'll probably elaborate their VC policy for the Switch then. I wouldn't get too hopeful though.
>>
>>378407306
>>378407323
>>378407334
Awesome. I played Golden Sun on the GBA and never got to play it again until it was on the Wii U VC. I was hoping TLA was worth getting. Gonna jump on that.
>>
>>378407357
same, I was a young boy and didn't know about Japan's rule of "First girl/childhood friend always wins"
>>
>>378407352
There is a stretch of the second game where she's the lead, and since they gave Isaac the original games battle music when he's the lead and Felix has the new one, I guess it just made sense.
>>
>>378407441

Before you start, there's a lot of secrets you could miss in TLA so I'd recommend you to look everywhere thoroughly and mind read everyone. Lots of side quests too.
>>
File: poseidon.png (42KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
poseidon.png
42KB, 480x320px
>>378367816
Now it could be remembering incorrectly, but dealing with this shit was so fucking obnoxious and it's the main reason why I've replayed Golden Sun but not TLA.
>>
>>378407473
>childhood friend always wins
Only if she's the heroine, though. It's incredibly easy to tell who the heroine is meant to be, as it'll usually be the girl whose name is in the title. They can be childhood friend or not, but it's not a sure bet. It think childhood friends winning tends to be a shonen thing. Or when the MC is pursuing someone at the beginning of the story and the story's focus isn't on romance so no other main heroine gets introduced.
>>
>>378407485
Its like 5 minutes at the beginning of the game. Jenna was fucking awesome, so fine by me that she gets her own theme. Heals and dragon fire attacks? Yes please.
>>
>>378407543
Noted. I'm pretty used to being terrified of missing shit in these games, so I'll probably consult a guide every time I think I'm done with a screen just to be sure. I'm frequently wrong.
>>
In anticipation for TLA's release I used to try to speedrun Golden Sun like 2 or 3 times a week. I could beat the game in like 6 hours, 100% clear, Dreadbeard included. I just looked up that the world record is roughly 4 hours. Wonder if I should try doing that again...
>>
>>378407684

If I remember correctly, there is one or two points of no return where you could miss djinn and some other things.
>>
>>378407227
Yeah and Garet made himself unlikable in every cutscene

>haha dude Saturos and Menardi did something evil fuck that Felix guy for hurting people am I right?
>>
>>378407684
There isn't really anything that you can miss permanently outside of the fountain minigame in Lemuria. I'd recommend looking up what you can get from there.
>>
>>378407815
I know that was a thing in Dark Dawn, so I'm extra cautious.
>>378407846
Good to know.
>>
I was always disappointed that I never actually got to continue where the original left off. It was such a cruel cliffhanger.
>>
>>378407961
Don't worry. TLA doesn't have like 5 points of no return like DD. Enjoy it anon.
>>
>>378407815
Not in TLA, though you if you missed Djinn in the first game and complete it then sent the password over, you obviously couldn't get those again. Except for a small list that would spawn in certain places in TLA, though one shouldn't ever rely on that.
>>
>>378367816
oh yeah

i kinda forgot about this shit

did we fuck up Alex in GS3?
>>
>>378408016
I thought that was great. It leaves the fate of the original party so vague that its a huge shock when you do finally encounter them. I love the idea of the two parties both having crazy adventures at the same time.

I remember being extremely blueballed when I first beat GS1, it was my first experience with needing to wait for a sequel to resolve a game's plot.
>>
>tfw you used to make troll threads about a Golden Sun anime on /a/ whenever a new anime season started
>>
>>378408096
There were two bad guys who were using a mirror to bombard the world with light psynergy, I think, and we beat them. I'm fairly certain Alex got away.
>>
>>378408020

isn't it possible to miss a summon or two from an earthquake or something blocking a path?
>>
>>378408096
No idea what happened to Alex. In DD we have a new villain; a mysterious masked man.
>>
>>378408017
Looking fucking forward to it.
>>
>>378408152
>everything you learn about the original party's adventures during the course of TLA is a series of failures
Kind of sad, when you think about it. Like there was some invisible, outside force granting them competency that immediately left them once they began sailing around. For some reason.
>>
>>378408323
>competency
>two lighthouses lit by the end of the first game
As a matter of fact, they jobbed hard.
>>
>>378408323
I took it more as they were trying desperately to save a doomed world, so there efforts were inevitably futile. At least, that's how I wanted to interpret it, because I've been working on a story with a very similar theme, and it was clearly inspired by Golden Sun. So ignore me.
>>
>>378408323
>>378408407
If they hadn't beat Saturos and Menardi, Felix would have been fucked. All the work they did helping people along the way helped them get strong enough to beat those two, which allowed Felix to be able to do his own thing.

People always say Isaac and co were failures, but honestly he saves Felix's life, which is what makes TLA possible.
>>
>>378408407
>killed both main villains

None of that kiddie shit, they straight up killed them. No mercy.
>>
>>378408323
>>378408407
Maybe that's why Issac was kinda pissed off in TLA. Maybe he realized his party was getting fucking nowhere and was actually doing the opposite of saving the world.
>>
>>378408510
>there

I blame that shit on my phone. I know I typed "their".
>>
>>378408225
fuck, again?

man, kinda glad i never played it now
>>
>>378408540
They killed them when they turned into dragons due to asspull
>earth and fire are brother, ya know
That was such bullshit.
>>
File: 1460066455156.png (760KB, 1280x1297px) Image search: [Google]
1460066455156.png
760KB, 1280x1297px
>>378408581
Its honestly not the worst thing ever. It has a lot of stupid shit, but I would say the second half (and in particular, the last third of the game where it becomes similar to TLA in structure) are pretty awesome. The story is frustrating because it relies on a fetch quest for motivation and teases you with shit that would surely be addressed in a sequel (such as Alex working with some militaristic nation that was using weapons and shit).

Personally I'd say give it a try because even when its being stupid, you get some fun puzzles and good music out of it, plus a couple cool characters.
>>
File: selvaria.png (643KB, 550x772px) Image search: [Google]
selvaria.png
643KB, 550x772px
Fucking loved this game as a kid

The forging mechanic in TLA was GOAT - favourite equipment to forge, /v/irgins?

Also Felix/Karst a best
>>
>>378408651
>they turn into dragons
>Isaac and Garet don't turn into dragons too and fuck shit up by getting overpowered

Shame
>>
>>378408651
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Isaac and Garret both recovered Psynergy during the fight once it was lit, which was pretty cool.
>>
>>378408323
what all did they do besides failing to get to Lemuria and getting fucked at Jupiter Lighthouse?

They probably made a b-line there and got stuck not knowing the Yepp's song
>>
>>378408821
Only Isaac, just like Mia did in Mercury while Ivan didn't.
>>
>>378408323

Felix met Piers. Piers is half the reason shit gets done. Without him and his ship, Felix would have been doomed.
>>
File: IMG_8340.png (116KB, 401x437px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8340.png
116KB, 401x437px
>played the first two games something like 13 years ago
>barely remember any details of the game, save for party members and a few locations
>mfw reading all these details about a game I played obsessively as a 12 year old and drawing a complete fucking blank about what everyone's talking about
Maybe I should replay them, though I hardly have the patience anymore for turn based RPGs and the word vomit-tier dialogue
How many lines of dialogue are in these games again?
>>
File: refresh ball used earnest ply!.png (38KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
refresh ball used earnest ply!.png
38KB, 480x320px
>>378408265
IIRC you were always able to backtrack and collect any Djinn you missed within their own separate games, at least in the first two, neither of them had any real points of no return outside of the very end, and even then you were warned about those ones ahead of time. I havent played the third game, but apparently there were a couple points of no return in that one that could cause you to miss Djinn, which is part of the reason people call the game shit. Again I haven't played it, so I can't really comment on the quality of the game itself how often do you hear that on /v/ but having major points of no return in an RPJ, multiple ones at that, is a pretty justifiable reason to call a game shit.

>>378408540
To be fair they didn't really want to kill Saturos and Menardi except Garet, they just kinda did what had to be done, and even then they didn't really kill them directly, they just kinda passed out and fell into the lighthouse, which they explicitly warned Felix was probably going to happen regardless of what Isaac and Co. did to them.
>>
>>378408757
Tisiphone Edge, so fun and random.
>>
anyone ever play Beyond the Beyond? Golden Sun is heavily based off it, and it's an older Camelot jrpg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bTMhNa9Oo
>>
>>378409050
Pretty sure that was a random drop, Excalibur was the kickass forgeable endgame weapon.

>>378409047
>RPJ
I'm retarded
>>
>>378409259
>kickass forgeable endgame weapon
And still not best sword despite how low a chance it had to appear.
>>
File: 1460067443151.png (760KB, 525x750px) Image search: [Google]
1460067443151.png
760KB, 525x750px
>>378409028
They have extremely wordy beginnings (at least in the case of GS1, TLA was slightly shorter and punctuated by more action), and long endings. Beyond that the cuscenes can range from short to long, its just a meme that every one is 20 minutes of jiggling and emoticons.

I last replayed Golden Sun in 2009 and I remember enjoying it quite a bit. The puzzles hold up, and the djinn were fun to find and useful for making cool classes.
>>
>>378409028
Tens of thousands in the opening cinematic alone.
>>
>>378406360
Came here to post this

God-tier dungeon and music
>>
>samurai and ninja classes
>TLA had like 3 classes you can be by equipping something

They needed this shit a whole lot more.
>>
>>378409028
GS + TLA has something like 160000 words. That's not counting item descriptions and non relevant npc dialogue.
>>
>>378409153
yo, now THAT is a fucking blast from the past
one of those RPGs that just got lost to time altogether
>>
>>378409451
They are strictly worse than pure element classes anyway.
>>
>>378406898
So in order to placate my own autism, I looked up the game script online and there was three lines talking about shipping of any kind.

>Mia is such a nice girl. I wonder who Garet likes more, Mia or Jenna.
>I see a beautiful girl has joined Isaac on his journey. I wonder what Jenna will think when she sees this.
>Welcome home, Isaac! Oh... ... What happened? Why are you walking around with some girl who's not Jenna?
So I guess I just didn't explore enough, more Vale citizens shipped Mia with Isaac than with Garet.
>>
>>378409316
IIRC Excalibur had the strongest individual hit in the game for an unleash, slightly stronger than the Tisiphone Edge, it's just that it only had a 20% chance or something of getting that hit even if you got the unleash, where the Sol Blade wasn't far behind either, but was super strong every time provided you get the unleash, which can be manipulated depending on the wearable equipment you put on Isaac/Felix. Last I remember you give them Hyper Boots + Valkyrie Mail + some other endgame / dropped items and you can get it up to a 99% chance to get the unleash.
>>378409543
I dont remember about samurai ninja specifically, but there were some endgame classes in TLA that were better than the pure element ones, both in stats and in psynergy you get, I remember there was one Jupiter/Mercury mixed class that had higher stats than any Ivan/Sheba/Mia's defaults, while having access to ply series and wish series, as well as all buff and debuff stuff that jupiters get. I remember the mixed classes were really useful for LTA hard mode, there was one healing class that was venus + mercury + jupiter that had all of those as well as revive I think, bailed me out on Dullahan when I was trying to do that fuck without psynergy seals or summon rushing on hard mode.
>>
>>378409543
The one thing I've always disliked about the Golden Sun series is that you have this massive arsenal of classes at your disposal, and yet there's rarely, if ever, a reason to switch out of the pure elemental. Summons are so ludicrously strong that the better spells and even stats of alternate classes don't even matter except to min-maxers. Even the superbosses get destroyed by elemental djinn setups.
>>
>>378409914
Yeah. It always felt Camelot had something more in mind with the classes but just didn't have more time to implement them more properly but left it in for people to tinker with anyway.
>>
>>378410064
Yeah, the way you need growth occasionally despite it not being on the default classes implies to me they originally wanted more class variation.
>>
>>378410193
I disliked mother earth's rock so much, killing the Orochi is fun, but that's it.
>>
>>378372498
I got stuck at a pass because you had to know where to go to cross over and with the assets all over the place i couldn't find the one tile gap it wanted me to cross and had to search for like 6 hours to fingure out if I was missing something plot-wise.

Annoyed the shit out of me.
>>
File: laughing paint.gif (338KB, 538x572px) Image search: [Google]
laughing paint.gif
338KB, 538x572px
>>378410271
>mfw finding out that the entire Izumo/Gaia Rock segment was just shamelessly ripped from Japanese folklore, even down to the names
I mean I know that Weyard is supposed to resemble Earth and that Izumo is supposed to be not-Japan, but come on
>>
>>378373026
>he didn't get the wheat sword
>>
File: Wheat Sword.png (61KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Wheat Sword.png
61KB, 240x160px
>>378410864
holy shit that takes me back
>>
>>378409346
>I last replayed Golden Sun in 2009
>it's been about as long since anon last played Golden Sun as it was from release to then
It's been even longer for me, I think. I've been meaning to get back to it and maybe figure out a fangame idea, but my backlog has gotten too unwieldy.

I also noticed when searching for images that there's a lot of full sized official art work lost to time. Unfortunately, I probably lost my guides ages ago so I couldn't try to rescan anything.
>>
>>378374254
You do know that Shining in the Darkness came first, and is a baller as fuck dungeon crawl i hope.
>>
>>378376903
I really liked summoning Procne and Cybele when I first played.

>>378380861
>flat world
I remember reaching the island on the edge and just watching the water cascade into the abyss. One of the neatest touches.
>>
alright lads, how old is piers?
>>
>>378411253
older than Kraden

Lemuria reflects Japan's population crisis
>>
>>378367816
I thought TLA was amazing.

> re-unite with Isaac and co.
> all your hard earned items/weapons/Djinn are back
> this music replaces the world map music:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UYzn64GpNkk

It actually felt cool and heroic as all hell. I fucking loved it. Definiteley one of my most memorable vidya moments.

> mfw it happened

Also the fucking summons man.

> mfw Daedalus
>>
>>378409543
I'm pretty sure Necromage (the ultimate one from the book) was the best class for Piers or Sheba.
>>
I will never forgive the game for making the final summon you get after Dullahan so fucking useless against the final boss.
>>
>>378389509
>Dark Dawn literally wouldn't havr happened if Tyrell wasn't a dumbass
>the game gave you a simple goal but through the entire game the goal gets further and further away as more and more roadblocks appear which have their own roadblocks until the game accordians out of control reminding you that all of this could have been avoided if Tyrell wasn't a dumbass
>Alex's plan depended on your group getting together and doing his dirty work even though you would not have made the journey to begin with if Tyrell wasn't a dumbass
>Plot starts off warning you that people don't like adepts, especially the descendents of the heroes because Weyard got fucked up, and you actually expect Tyrell to fuck this up since he can't shut up
>maybe like 2 people in the game actually care enough to get mad, most think fondly of your parents so what's the point?
I was so glad to get Eoleo to bench Tyrell. Garet was my nigga but fuck his son.
>>
>>378411454
The Golden Sun Rises is a great track too for the end of the game. It has a nice mix brassy and that weird instrument they used in the major ancient dungeons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esBBXDuvEFA

Golden Sun is probably the reason I give Motoi Sakuraba so much leeway: the kinds of music he makes, and made for Golden Sun, are just really ingrained in me and I never stop enjoying those tracks.
>>
>>378397408
1 had a lot of stuff cut in it at least item wise. You could cheat in the Sol Blade for example and that thing could only be used properly in 2 (Where it basically did a crit every hit if I remember right). Plus there's the graphical difference from GBA to now so we could have a fully expanded view of everything. There's also the ability to stick all three games on one cart and remake it.
>>
File: 1468063570760.jpg (15KB, 290x289px) Image search: [Google]
1468063570760.jpg
15KB, 290x289px
>>378405340
>Golden Sun was the first game I ever got involved with an online community.
Same here. The game actually introduced me to a lot of things. /v/ likes to shit on it for some reason, but I have the massivest nostalgia boner for GS.
>>
>>378394458
>getting to the Animos crater after all of the lore about the people who lived there and the legends of them living on the moon created from the crater
I want more games to just leave something understated like that in.
>>
>>378411849
>some adepts went off into the sky on a flying city to make the moon, which is a big symbol in Alchemy along with the Golden Sun
>Sheba probably came from there but we're never really going to expand on this
I also enjoy parts of the lore not getting explored in-depth and just being left to be atmospherically mysterious, but it's kind of too big a thing for them to leave alone if they ever get around to continuing the series.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhL0QCFX78E

Does anyone have it all including TLA?
>>
File: official_piers[1].jpg (190KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
official_piers[1].jpg
190KB, 1024x768px
>>378394275
>>378394217
he's quite fit but not 'buff' per se
eoleo is buff
agatio is buff
>>
>mfw making the mental connection between the children's game and the Poseidon Puzzle
I felt like a fucking genius. Shame that was the only time in my life I can say that. Nowadays shitters would just look up a guide online, but I figured out every single puzzle on my own as a kid.
>>
>>378367816
They're both fucken great.
>>
>>378394354
tbch i'd rather a 3d remake combining the first two games
>>
>>378411978
Yeah, I have it saved. Did something happen to to original hosts? I wouldn't expect me to be able to get around to reupping it anywhere in a speedy fashion: it's nearly 5 GB and I have shitty Pacific Island internet.
>>
File: 1475786944570.gif (2MB, 333x194px) Image search: [Google]
1475786944570.gif
2MB, 333x194px
>that feel when you first discover how to properly combine djinn and character elements to create hilariously overpowered classes

This game's class and battle systems were far more fun than they had any right to be.
>>
>>378411978
Holy fuck it's good
>>
>>378412178
No, the original hosts are still up, maybe he wanted a link or something.
>>
>>378396693
i love this whole post
>>
File: 1355956930279 - копия.jpg (127KB, 499x772px) Image search: [Google]
1355956930279 - копия.jpg
127KB, 499x772px
Saturos and Menardi did nothig wrong
>>
File: 1472299947336.png (462KB, 510x505px) Image search: [Google]
1472299947336.png
462KB, 510x505px
>>378410969
>>378410864
>The Temple of Kraden is still up
GSAR is still active too, what the fuck.
>>
>>378412664
They got fucking shrecked by a bunch of kids who then took over the job of saving the world for them. Felix gets remembered by the Proxians as the hero who saved the world and was probably drowning in dragon poon while Saturos and Menardi get remembered as those assholes who died half through.

But seriously I wonder if the heroes ever went back to the Vale elders and went "yo, did they really try to explain the situation to you and you just brushed them off?"
>>
>>378412664
>Oh yeah, they're a band of murderous, lying kidnappers, but they're totally good people!
>>
>>378410864
>he didn't get the wheat sword
Jesus Christ anon, if this whole thread wasn't enough you come with the finishing blow, replaying them right now.
>>
>>378411978
Wait, what is this? It sounds amazing.
>>
>>378412963
Elemental Stars
>>
>>378411653
>I was so glad to get Eoleo to bench Tyrell. Garet was my nigga but fuck his son.
>Using fire adepts
This must be the only game that made me like earth classes.
>>
>>378412997
I know the song, I meant the restored OST.
>>
Amazing thread, anons.
I hope we get remakes for the Switch one day.
>>
>>378413006
I had autism and had to have one of each in the party figuring there would come a boss that needed rps strats.

The earth adepts were top tier though for sure.
>>
>>378412241
Do you have a link to the original hosts?
>>
I didn't even know that the forging is rng. Fuck
>>
>>378413187
Amen, brother. We can only hope.
Be it good like TLA or dissapointing like DD I just want one more game for closure.
>>
>>378413187
That would be nice.
>>
>>378413349
I think its based on how many steps you take so its pretty erratic anyway.
>>
>>378413431
Same, honestly.
I was disappointed with the direction they went with for DD. 30 years later was an insane time skip.
I kinda wish they'd erase DD and just start over.
Start like a year after TLA maybe.
Fuck.
>>
>>378413187
At least the first 2. I could take or leave DD since it was all over the place.
>>
I remember playing TLA for the first time and keeping all the djinn with their respective elemental users. Then messing around with combos to find out there were some really cool classes if you mixed djinn types around
>>
Seriously though, if fucking Fire Emblem can become a big franchise for Nintendo, couldn't the same happen with GS?
I do like Fire Emblem, but it makes me so mad that it's getting so much love and GS isn't.
>>
>>378413330
>>378413330
It's on the internet just search the restored ost.
>>
>>378413262
I was mostly messing with ya (although i did the same thing in my first playthrough, Jenna was too good).

But yeah, even in my latest replays i use both Issac and Felix and a love spamming Ragnarok even if it isn't optimal.Nostalgia is one hell of a dug.
>>
>>378413651
fire emblem had the benefit of being huge in japan to start with
>>
>>378413582
>I kinda wish they'd erase DD and just start over.
>Start like a year after TLA maybe.
They could make those psy vortexes be wormholes and have us time-travel, but that would open a whole other can of worms.
>>
>>378413651
Golden Sun could have been big if Camelot didn't try to play it super safe with DD and fuck it up in the process. Fire Emblem aims directly at its veterans first and foremost while still leaving its gameplay accessible to casuals, and having most games in their own universes means you get a complete story every time (Except Fates, which is universally criticised on the story front).

Dark Dawn resolved nothing, introduced MORE questions, the entire game was a fetch quest until the very end, had so little difficulty that no-djinn runs are possible and had points of no return.
Plus it was wordy as fuck for no real reason.
The wall glitch is a fun way to spend half an hour though
>>
>>378413870
True, but I remember the first two games selling really well, then we got nothing for years.
They should have put Isaac in Melee.
Or at least Brawl.
>>
>>378413976
Holy fuck, that's actually a really neat idea.
>>
>>378413707
I can only find what's on youtube unless that's all there is. I was sorta hoping it was uploaded somewhere in better quality.
>>
>>378413985
>The wall glitch is a fun way to spend half an hour though
exblain
>>
>>378413985
Yeah, DD was such a fuck up.
I feel like a lot of hype for it died once they announced that you'd be playing as Isaac's son.
>>
>>378414036
The autist in me has to point out that Isaac is in brawl as an assist trophy, but I know what you meant.

I always thought Djinn could have been a good item to add to super smash bros, picking up different combinations to use them in summons. I guess it would have been too similar to pokeballs or assist trophies though.
>>
>>378414267
Oh, I know he was an assist trophy, but that wasn't enough, really.
Maybe I care too much about it, idk.
>>
>>378414213
There's a seam in the endless wall, on the T-junction made between the wall and the road leading to Apollo Sanctum. You can tell if you're standing on it because your shadow disappears. If you save and reload, you fall through the world and can access the entire game world, including out of bounds, by walking along mountains and rivers. Just don't save if you get out of bounds or you've permanently fucked your file.
>>
>>378414267
>not only was Isaac not promoted to player character in Sm4sh but he was the only dropped assist trophy
It hurts
>>
File: protags.png (1MB, 900x846px) Image search: [Google]
protags.png
1MB, 900x846px
Always loved TLA more, Felix was a more likeable character during his time as one in the first game compared to Isaac in the second, liked his party more than Isaac's, liked the open endedness of the Eastern Sea and the gameplay enhancements, and GS music is legendary, with TLA featuring the first game's music and a shitload more great tracks

>tfw GS was your gateway to online communities
I miss GSR
>>
https://drive google.com/drive/folders/0B_O4xKWEcp5OaUQ4al8xbTJvQnM
>>
>>378414419
Sucks he didn't win that vote to get in as dlc.
>people voted for John Cena instead.
Kill me.
>>
I agree, Golden Sun The Lost Age was them fleshing out the world since they already had the engine up and working, so they could focus their energies to more refinement.

Golden Sun 1 had to create the whole world, the characters, the engine, the gameplay and basically everything.

Golden Sun The Lost Age had all that in place and could focus on adding spice to the game. They could stretch their creative wings. The writers could create more unique and interesting towns, characters and dialogues, the game designers could add in new gameplay elements to the world like the ship and the elemental Rocks, the programmers could flaunt their ability with new boss mechanics, psynergy and summons

Both games were great and I liked 3, but 2 will always be my favourite game of all time.
>>
>>378367816
I immensely preferred TLA over the first GS.

The third episode does not exist, tho
>>
>There's almost as big of a gap between GS2 and GS3's release than GS3's release and now
If we still go one generation without any announcement you can consider the franchise dead.

Perhaps they will try again since Xenoblade is now a big franchise to them and they might want to make more dosh on the RPG market but perhaps they also think that Xeno is now enough for RPGs from them.
>>
>>378415496
They probably can't make a compelling business case for Golden Sun after the third one bombed.
>>
>>378373669
Also Jenna is Nadia.
>>
>>378372876
French names are best names
>>
>>378368974
Ends with 2. You don;t need to touch Dark Dawn with a 50 ft pole since Nintendo will never let them end that cliffhanger.
>>
>>378373026
>>378374252
>>378373505
>tfw played that game so much I got the drops normally
What was the manip trick?
>>
>>378415787
>since Nintendo will never let them end that cliffhanger.
Unfortunately this. If you haven't played DD yet it'd be better to stay away since it won't be resolved.
>>
>>378411454
This. I liked Golden Sun well enough, but TLA built on it so fucking well that I can't help but love it so much more.
>>
anyone remember this dope commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvwdVp8Fvo
>>
>>378416019
I only saw that when people were geeking out over Crystallaux in GS3
>>
File: 519px-Laurasia-Gondwana.svg.png (132KB, 519x435px) Image search: [Google]
519px-Laurasia-Gondwana.svg.png
132KB, 519x435px
>>378396693
>>
Would remakes on the Switch work with the original style of graphics, or would they have to change them?
>>
>>378416437
One of the things Dark Dawn did best was translate the art style into 3D, they could make it work on Switch
>>
>>378416564
Yeah, I suppose DD was actually pretty great looking.
Worst part for me was just character designs (like Garet).
But yeah, good point, anon.
>>
>>378370537
Dark Dawn was unbelievable. Until the final fight, I had never even switched party members a single time. I didn't even know that the one girl could transform since she had never seen any action.
>>
>>378416726
I pretty much benched them too, only i switched out Tyrell for Amiti. After that i never switched any of my members.
>>
File: GSDDMatthew.jpg (393KB, 742x1567px) Image search: [Google]
GSDDMatthew.jpg
393KB, 742x1567px
>>378416701
Aside from Garet's dumb looking moustache what was wrong with the character designs?

I thought Matthew and Tyrell looked just like better looking versions of Isaac and Garet and the new characters were pretty solid too
>>
File: Karstine.png (286KB, 392x580px) Image search: [Google]
Karstine.png
286KB, 392x580px
L-Leave my wife alone!
>>
>>378416726
Yeah, the default party was more than enough since the only remotely challenging bosses were the final one and the last bonus boss.
>>
>>378416883
You waifu got buttfucked by a bunch of kids
>>
>>378416876
Matthew was an amazing design
>>
>>378416726
I've personally done a no-djinn playthrough. There are exactly 3 bosses that are tough in the main storyline:
- Ice Queen because of early ice missile
- Roc because of its defence
- Chaos chimera because Retribution and no revive spells

It really feels like the game was balanced for the player having no djinn at all times except for the final boss and the bonus bosses (and even then, Star Magician is beatable).
>>
>>378416883
i thought her name was just 'karst'

either way, her sister is prettier
>>
>>378416701
>he doesn't like matured Issac with a badass beard
>>
>>378367816
It's not true at all.
I have never met or heard about someone saying openly that the first GS is the best one.
>>
>>378415787
I genuinely think that question mark at the end of 'the end' is the maddest I've ever been at a single punctuation mark.
>>
>>378367816
I liked 2 more but I also played it first.
The original one isn't bad. I completed it a few times
>>
i played golden sun recently, got to the colloseum part.

is the lost age worth it?
>>
>>378417051
/v/'s full of them, there's plenty in this thread, people always shill Isaac and ignore Felix, it gets recommended all the time in GBA threads without the second, and it's more popular amongst normies because the second one was 'too cryptic/boring' for featuring gameplay that wasn't a straight line
>>
>>378417109
???
>>
>>378416726
The game gives out so much experience compared to the first 2.
It was insane.
>>
>>378417180
Lost Age is definitely worth it
>>
>>378417037
>collar beard
>badass
Nigga can't even grow a mustache to save his life.
>>
>>378417037
Isaac will never be your dad
>>
>>378417207
>it gets recommended all the time in GBA threads without the second
I thought when people recommend GS they mean both games, it's pretty much one game just separated in 2 cartridges.
>>
>>378417374
Whoops missed a >, guess I shouldn't be up at 6
>>
File: coverart_tla.jpg (334KB, 956x1085px) Image search: [Google]
coverart_tla.jpg
334KB, 956x1085px
>>378417404
I'm talking about people that just post the boxart of the first game

Speaking of which, TLA also has better box art
>>
>>378417374
At least you're not in a shitty game.
>>
I legit like the games' world and lore but fuck me if battles aren't braindead easy
>let's make a game that is basically DQ but even easier
If the games ever get a remake or a 4th entry that retcons all the dumb shit that happened in DD, I hope they revamp the battle system.
Also flesh out the characters more if possible.
>>
File: Chalis.full.1233533.jpg (123KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Chalis.full.1233533.jpg
123KB, 700x1050px
>DD's mediocrity means there will never be good art of her
>>
>>378417608
The battle system is fine except for the lack of a magic stat. Lost Age on hard mode made the battles a lot more engaging even if it's just as lazy as a x1.5 to monster health and damage.
>>
>>378417608
There's some good mods out there that bring out the combat more as well as an editor you can use to make your own version, the battle system is actually very good, just criminally underutilized

Watching speedruns of the games, especially TLA, is probably the most impressive display of the combat I can think of the way enemies are manipulated and active djinn usage instead of summon rushing is heavily played around
>>
>>378417651
One of the few shiny bits in that pile of shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwT8qhVFLQ
Say what you will about Dark Dawn, but the summons are fantastic.
>>
>>378417734
This. Golden Sun needs at least one extra stat. Attack, defense and speed is just too simple.
Also, flying enemies should be unable to be hit by regular attacks.
>>
>>378418006
It has resistances, but yeah, it needs a magic stat.
>>
>>378418143
Yeah, I left those out since I figured most people here knew about them anyway.
Speaking of, those should matter more.
>>
>>378417734
>>378417774
The problem is that the game gives you a fuckton of tools to fuck shit up, but the enemies mostly get "hit hard and hit harder" with a few exceptions being the bonus bosses.
There was never a great need to use buffs and status ailments might as well not be there, especially since stacking all those djinns gives you stellar buffs, and summons not only dish out trucks of damage but also ramps up your elemental damage even further, which makes combat very trivial.
And this is without even putting unleashes into account.
My point is, I think the combat could be more interesting if there wasn't such a disparity between the player and the enemies.
>>
>>378418272
I remember the resistance buffing psyenergies being useful, though never really useful enough to use over other options, such as the Djinn blocking unleashes.
>>
>>378418360
Resistance buffs are really useful on certain bosses due to the way that the formula works meaning that you can quickly shave off a lot of damage from spellcasting oriented bosses. Although you'll find yourself using it more on difficulty hacks since the original game is too easy.
>>
File: psycho-rangers2.jpg (67KB, 465x370px) Image search: [Google]
psycho-rangers2.jpg
67KB, 465x370px
>>378418312
>you never fight a full, well balanced team of similar but opposing adepts who have their own mixes of min maxed classes, djinns, and specific combat ai routines with attacking, healing, buffing, and psyenergies
>>
>>378418535
I used it a bit on the Sentinel, even though he dispels it.
>>
>>378418312
>finally lower an mini-boss's resistance
>goes back to normal on the next turn
I don't even have enough faith to be mad.
>>
>tfw using that sword that summons a meteor
so much fun
>>
>>378418554
>You will never fight a boss that charges up an attack that does 1073+80% damage that you're required to use damage mitigation djinn to survive
Why live
>>
File: you got fuckall.png (40KB, 214x188px) Image search: [Google]
you got fuckall.png
40KB, 214x188px
>>378369287
I think the issue with Air's Rock is how fucking big it is for a first real dungeon. Like, if it were later, I wouldn't have minded but here you've been used to maybe 2 "dungeons" and then suddenly this 2 hours long shit.

My only guess is that they wanted you to get Piers at first, which is absolutely possible, but it doesn't really make sense with how the game is structured.
>>
DD is a huge blur to me, can anyone remind me what happened after Alchemy got unleashed into the world?
>>
File: Kalt_Island_Exterior[1].png (74KB, 384x400px) Image search: [Google]
Kalt_Island_Exterior[1].png
74KB, 384x400px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lot8e1w_3PE

It's just a little cabin on a desolate, snowy island way up north of the worth with nothing of note on it save a single djinn but its the comfiest place I can think of in vidya.
>>
>>378419146
At least it made the rest of the dungeons seem normal-sized.
>>
>>378419146
What's weird is the other Rocks are incredibly short in comparison. Earth had the maze, but Lava and Aqua were nothing.
>>
>>378419214
Nothing good, essentially. Giant doom portals opening up everywhere, destroying shit. Everyone's militarizing and making use of psyenergy and creating nation states. Ancient Aliens tech can now be turned on and used as doomsday weapons. It's basically an extrapolation of the idea that sealing Alchemy did more than just lock away psyenergy itself, but the general productiveness of the world. Now everyone is exploding outward and conquering shit.

Plus, there's fucking furries everywhere.
>>
>>378415786
Pavel sounds so much better than Felix, man.
>>
>>378419262
>hey lets go all out for these Rock dungeons, really push those limits
>okay that was a bit too much let's dial it back a bit
>>
>>378419226
>tfw you get to Prox and this starts playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag9ThAcRefI
A hopeless song playing off the edge of the world.
>>
File: cia.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cia.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>378419489
Doctor Pavel?
>>
>>378419146
You're supposed to do it after Briggs since the only way back to that town if you go to Air's Rock first takes you all the way around back to the start of the continent.
>>
>>378415786
>>378419489
True.
>>
was lost age the second one? never played the 3rd, and I really liked 2 except the fucking air temple / airs rock whatever it was

I'm 23 and even now still get aggravated doing that shit.
>>
>>378419789
That's the one, yes.
>>
Does anyone want to explain how Eoleo as a baby could use psynergy better than Isaac and Garet when they were fourteen?
>>
>>378371371
It's been a decade and I had long forgotten this and now that you've reminded I blacked out in a rage for 10 minutes from the flashbacks and killed the postman by accident
>>
>>378419901
brain damage
>>
>>378419901
Everyone has different levels of competency.
>>
First game just seemed better paced and more well rounded and I liked the dungeons far more. The story was also better, I absolutely hated Felix and his band of friends in The Lost Age.

Also the music doesn't even compare to the first game.
>>
>>378420094
I liked Felix though he was a whiny twat, and you're right the pacing was better in the first.

I only wish the games were longer
>>
>>378419226
For some reason I always really liked Garroh. I think it was because it was the only place in the world with a day/night shift, even if its somehow permanently night after you resolve whatever it was you needed to do there. The theme of the town itself is very calming, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFcLeQQ9WXU
>>
it's dumb how you just rush to the top tier djinn summons then never use the low tier summons.
>>
>>378420563
You mean like most games with summons?
>>
File: StarMagicianOverworld.png (18KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
StarMagicianOverworld.png
18KB, 240x160px
>enemies that don't fuck around
>>
>no Tolbi or Colosso
Lost Age is shit
>>
>>378373361
No Mars Star, no Mars Beacon.
>>
>>378420690
Didnt expect that shit to be harsh since the game was easy
>>
>>378420690
>Sol blade + Masamune + Tisiphone Edge
>Two +attack djinn
>Kill guardian ball then wail on the magician and laugh as the refresh ball can't heal through your 3000 damage per turn
He's hard if you're the target audience but trivial if you come back to the game when you're an adult.
>>
>Djinn Storm
>Cruel Ruin
>Yfw
>>
>>378373361
The world gets frozen to death if Saturos and Menardi make it that far in the first place. Jupiter + Mercury together were causing a rapid ice age.
>>
>>378420690
I liked the concept of his fight especially since its one of the few times where the game makes you fight a large enemy party.
>>
>>378419564
>tfw the Igloo with the kids and the parent who knows the world's going to end but doesn't want the kids to know
>>
>>378420942
>Agatio hitting for 800 in the arena with his Meteor Blow
Flat+hp% damage calculations are scary
>>
>>378421431
Too bad the flat damage system makes spells so worthless outside of the early game.
>>
>>378420619
I remember restricting myself to around level 2 summons at most to avoid steamrolling the games.

I absolutely loved the first two games but Dark Dawn was way too easy and it just came out way too long after the originals (8 year gap) when the series's popularity had faded (which was probably the reason for the info dump) which ultimately caused it to fail. It's a shame we'll never get to see the whole Tuaparang/Alex plot resolved, let alone a Club-Diamond/Wand-Pentacle duo. The Psynergy Vortex plot was briefly set up before being abandoned for the Grave Eclipse plot until the cliffhanger too which was clumsy.
>>
File: 1489527581138.png (90KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
1489527581138.png
90KB, 210x210px
>>378420942
>>
>>378421705
They should have just decided on whether or not they wanted to focus on the Grave Eclipse or the Vortexes. The game falls so hard on its face around the time when you meet Sveta because it doesn't really remember what it wants to do.
>>
>>378420942
Honestly not even phased by Doom Dragon anymore once i found out and wen through the bullshit that is Dullahan.
>>
>>378374356

Played Shining Force II remake on GBA. Never enjoyed an RPG that much since then
>>
>>378421981
If Dullahan didn't have Djinn Storm he would have been a great fight. Forcing the player to summon rush him was a mistake.
>>
>>378412664
>кoпия
Holy fucking shit, I wasn't the only ruskie to play this?
>>
Any decent porn of this series?
>>
>>378422224
No, if he didn't abuse Djinn storm every two or three turns, he would have been amazing. The fact he literally drives almost every player to the point of summon spam to beat him is an achievement in it's own.
>>
>>378367816

The open world nature of Golden Sun and the Lighthouse landmarks would work great with Xenoblade X/BotW's engine.

Monolith could probably do a good job with the franchise if they were willing. Camelot has clearly lost its talent.
>>
>>378422925
A decade of golf games will do that to a company.
>>
>>378414451
>more likable character

They were both mutes, with the difference being that Felix has no reason to suddenly lose his voice between games.
>>
File: 1490653510362.jpg (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1490653510362.jpg
11KB, 320x320px
>MFW fighting Duhallen
The only boss where summon rushing is needed not to cheese the boss but to actually have a good shot at beating him
>>
This has been a nice thread.
>>
File: 1460569015808.gif (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1460569015808.gif
6KB, 200x200px
>>378424159
Agreed. I've had to deal with some serious nostalgia pangs this evening. Thanks, /v/.
>>
Because I didn't have to punch in any fucking 150 character codes in the first game.
>>
>>378424159
>>378424514
Actually, most of /v/ GS threads stay comfy, unless deliberately shitposted and people taking the bait.

Also i can't stop listening to the Garoh theme, Jesus Christ such a relaxing tune.
>>
I wish that they'd re-release the first 2 games, maybe with some WORDS adjustments and some extra content.
Drum up some hype for the IP again, then make a sequel that has nothing to do with the 3rd game.
Fuck that game.
>>
>you could get Piers and the boat before going anywhere near Air's Rock
After finding that out I always do it now.
>>
File: 220525-tos122.jpg (50KB, 636x443px) Image search: [Google]
220525-tos122.jpg
50KB, 636x443px
>>378411454
The biggest thing I remember about that track was finding out that Golden Sun had the exact same composer as Tales of Symphonia, because he used almost the EXACT same riff in ToS's American opening that he used in the final world map track from GS:TLA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTUIbKANot8
>>
>>378409543
I thought ninja was considered overpowered if you could get shit that made them Dodge more or something
>>
File: DS.jpg (80KB, 1080x606px) Image search: [Google]
DS.jpg
80KB, 1080x606px
>>378425916
The Tales anons have been complaining about Sakuraba sounding the same for ages now. It's a bit like Sawano, though. He's clearly capable of doing other sounds. He's just hired to do your JRPGs that are not FF or DQ and I guess to just make that same sounding OST for most.
>>
File: 5.png (693KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
693KB, 1280x720px
>>378417037
>>
Say whatever you want about this game, there is never going to be enough good femdom porn of its girls.
>>
>>378426939
>Say whatever you want about this game, there is never going to be enough good femdom porn of its girls.
There isn't any regular porn either.
>>
>>378426939
>there is never going to be enough good femdom porn
>there is never going to be enough good porn
>there is never going to be enough porn
It's just one of those series that never generated much, probably because by the time internet fan art porn really took off it had been dead for awhile and then DD didn't make many waves
>>
>>378427171
Yes, but if porn was to miraculously start rolling in, no doubt 75% of it would all just be shitty generic ugly fat guys gangbanging its girls unwillingly.

Fuck that. Give me porn of girls that know what they want and take it.
>>
>>378411684
yeah, but that is Sakuraba's thing with his music that makes it kinda bad too.

it sounds the same almost in EVERY fucking game he composes for. i feel like he never really tries outside his zone, while it sounds great, it feels like missed chances to try out new shit.
>>
File: realization.jpg (47KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
realization.jpg
47KB, 500x492px
>>378414451
>I miss GSR
Y-you don't mean Golden Sun Adept's Refuge, d-do you?

GSAR is that forum that I could never ever visit again even if it still existed since it's where I did all my shitposting as an 11-year-old.
>>
>>378411825
dude a good amount of people shit on it back in the day too.

all the reviews were like "great graphics, but everything else is shit for this first GBA RPG outing!"
>>
>>378427171
>>378427226
>>378427171

There's a couple dozen very mediocre images on Paheal.
>>
i dont remember the name of that one dragon boss on the second golden sun who would always fucken heal all his hp back thus making him unbeatable
wtf was i doing wrong i was like 13 when i played it
i raged and stopped playing it because it pissed me off
>>
File: IMG_4725.jpg (218KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4725.jpg
218KB, 786x1017px
>>378422416
Very, very little, and a lot of it is fetish material. Most of the poor art is just due to the fact that this was the fledgling internet, so you mostly had western people trying to draw digital porn for the first time.
>>
>>378427171
>>378427205
What it DID generate was an absolute fuckload of yaoi fanfics over at adultfanfiction, with a few straight ones mixed in. But oh god the sheer amount of yaoi fics, you'd have thought the series was coming out in 2014.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>378427397
You had to go through the full dungeon anon. If you did, you'd end up focusing four beams of light on him through these crystal things. Each one weakened his defense, and each weakened his every-turn-healing by a bit, so by the time you had all four he became much easier and only recovered 30hp a turn.

What was cool though is that you didn't HAVE to do all four crystal beams, so you could set a challenge for yourself if you wanted and only do one or two or three.
>>
File: 1460115943299.jpg (161KB, 1890x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1460115943299.jpg
161KB, 1890x1417px
>>378427336
Unfortunately for you, it still exists, though I have no idea what the hell they cold still be talking about after all this time. I'm semi-glad my GS forum of choice is gone from the internet since I have the same problem as you.
>>
>>378427554
>you'd have thought the series was coming out in 2014.
I remember yaoi fangirls being more of a thing in the early internet than now.
I would know; I was one.
>>
File: 1467208731179.png (490KB, 505x489px) Image search: [Google]
1467208731179.png
490KB, 505x489px
>>378427397
>not being able to figure that shit out at thirteen years age
Should have drank less flouride
>>
>>378427657
wow anon i was so retarded back then
i was literally in shock that he always healed up full hp and i had no clue what to do
its been about 11 years and i finally see my error, thanks little 13 year old me can finally rest in peace
>>
>>378427680
I'm sure that they've gone through several different purges and rebirths since the early 2000's. My cringe is surely gone forever.
>>
>>378426410
Ninja was op even with out that. the 3 use classes were, necromancer, pierrot, and one more i can't remember. I know for a fact though that Ninja and Ronin were busted as fuck for end game
>>
I don't think I'll ever understand the appeal. Even as a kid these games just seemed mediocre.
>>
>>378427768
i was/is not a very able minded human anon
>>
>>378367816
Both games have the problem of every single npc having reems and reems of the most bland pointless things to say. Shame because I love everything else about the game but it ruins it for me.
>>
>>378409543
They're only worse if you're the type that's into summon rushing. For raw beat downs, there's no better class than Ninja/Ronin because their insane stats.
>>
>>378427813
>and one more i can't remember
Beast Master or Beast Tamer, can't remember the exact name.
>>
>>378427309
Didn't he compose Dark Souls? That sounds nothing like what he's known for.
>>
>>378367816
both are perfect iom
>>
>>378369629
breasts are too big
>>
File: IMG_2833.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2833.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
>make a game with a class system
>the defaults are actually the best option until endgame, as the combo classes involve messing up other people's classes

good job golden son
>>
>>378372836
i want to pat her head
>>
>>378427929
That it's thank you.
>>
>>378428018
>Game has an unconventional hardmode
>Whine about it
Don't be a nigger.
>>
>>378427842
The first one was one of the earliest RPGs on the GBA, and for the time it was amazing what they had managed to cram in since the standard for handheld RPGs was more like Final Fantasy Legend. Compared to that, this was more like getting a full SNES RPG on a handheld. Add in some starter pack anime tropes and some childhood dickriding of Issac for the girls and "mom what's a boner" lusting for Mia from the guys, and you ended up with the perfect storm.
>>
>>378427895
Gotta read the minds too anon. Half of them have completely different opinions and are lying to your face, it's kind of great.
>>
>>378425916
oh yeah, i hear it

>>378426419
>The Tales anons have been complaining about Sakuraba sounding the same for ages now.
i get that but honestly i love the way that stuff sounds so i don't think i'd get sick of it very quickly
>>
>>378427445
Why is this so hot
>>
>>378427960

It's not exactly like his other works, and it's hard to tell when you're in combat, but Dark Souls definitely sounds like one of Sakuraba's soundtracks.
>>
>>378428018
>Awesome buff system where you sacrifice benefits for attacks, other buffs or summons.
>Entire game is trivialized by spamming one/two buffs and summons.
>>
>>378428018
The only character who was arguably worse in a cross class was Piers because he got Mia's classes so you needed to find the one with the highest strength stat for him.

Everyone else got way better in alternate classes especially the Wind/Water mages.
>>
File: Img_harumani.jpg (101KB, 650x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Img_harumani.jpg
101KB, 650x1100px
>>378398647
my favorite new character was actually amiti, he had an actual distinct personality and morals from the rest of the group (his shelterness and zero tolerance to people outside the law) and had a nice backstory too
>>
>>378372498
I went through a good chunk of the game without the rope lash spell, until just before that witch doctor statue with all the gears inside. Boy did I feel silly
>>
>>378428129
>Not playing play in optimally is "hard mode."

DMC2's hard mode is only using one hand, quit whining about how easy it is. It's just unconventional!
>>
>>378428441
If you were playing optimally then Ivan/Mia would be swapping each other's djinn so you had two aoe healers with buffs instead of just one of each.
>>
>>378428129
Bet you love FF8.
>>
>>378367816
I liked TLA better, but the western sea could have used more places to explore
>>
>>378428441
>Using the features of the game is the same as literally handicapping yourself
Okay retard, nice logic there.
>>
>>378413651
GS was already bigger than FE. Both GBA games were million title sellers I believe. DD just bombed because it was mostly popular in the US, and the game got poor reception there, so it didn't sell very well.
>>
>>378428504
You could just spam summons instead, that's the optimal way to play it.
>>
>>378428504
You can play non-optimally on DMC2 with two hands as well, but you seem to be missing the point.
>>
>>378367857
Also had twice the content, you can rush the game quite easily though, not more than 20h to complete in your first run.
>>
>>378428290
This. He was also cute and was using him as a proxy to fulfill my "Alex as party member" fantasy.
>>
>play first golden sun as a kid
>intro with your dad (i think? been ages) dying was too sad and stressful for me
>turned the game off and never touched it again
is it worth picking up? this thread made it sound like a fun romp
>>
>>378428593
>>378413651
GS was only bigger than FE in non Japanese countries. FE had quite a few games going for it long before the first GS even came out and it only really did poorly during the GC/Wii era because no one in Japan bought the GC because the PS2 was the in thing.
>>
>>378428754
One of the best RPG's I've played imo, not particularly difficult but there's a lot of variety and ways to go around doing things, plenty of exploration and good puzzles too.
>>
>>378428557
>Choosing to not use better options is different from choosing to not use better options.

Would you rather I said "just don't use guns" or "don't use combos that stunlock enemies"? The point remains the same: you're just choosing to not use all your tools to your advantage.
>>
>>378428754
Not great. Not bad. Fun and comfy.
>>
>>378371371
I liked how they managed it. It could be very easy to get a normal Poseidon and get over with in order to visit Lemuria, but actually you need to travel and explore the little part of the world and their dungeons to get stuff to deal with him.

I don´t remember him as an easy fight though, quite challenging my first time, and i was aware that the Trydent made something there so i was leveled through many dungeons.

I don´t even know why people think that he could have been rushed early in the game without the other 3 dungeons.
>>
>>378428626
>>378428638
Summon rushing is only really worth it when the entire party starts getting the actually good summons which is around the halfway point when everyone has 4 Djinn. Before then, you're better off smashing the enemy's head using buffs/djinn and finishing them off with a summon or two.
>>
>>378428850
>Hurrr durrrr if I water something down to the point where it loses it's original meaning it's the same as this other thing durrrrr
Woah, what a clever lad!

The thing is, you have multiple tools available to you and you choose the ones you want, some giving you more difficulty than others, right now what you're saying is that you should always pick the easiest difficulty in a game with multiple difficulty options or else you're just "handicapping" yourself. Dumb as shit lad, check yourself.
>>
>>378428136
Maybe it didn't hit me because I thought Pokemon was a better game and MMBN came out earlier and fucking destroyed it in terms of quality.

Then again, I was that kid who thought FF7 looked like shit compared to 2D games, so maybe GS's graphics had no pull on me.
>>
>>378404835
>I forget the hint for Poseidon, but there definitely is one somewhere.
Yes, there is a hint for him, but you have to really explore to find it
>>
>>378428172
Ehh, just doubles the problem imo. Nobody in the entire game's universe thinks or says anything interesting imo.
>>
>>378429062
The first MMBN game wasn't even all that good though. The series didn't start to pick up until 2 and 3 before it took a huge nosedive after that.
>>
>>378429009
>"Choosing not to use part of your toolset effectively isn't any more of a difficulty option in RPGs than it is in an action game."
>"WOW ARE YOU SAYING TO ALWAYS CHOOSE THE EASIEST ROUTE KYS MY MAN."
Are you retarded?
>>
>>378429001
Level 2 summon spam carried me with 0 deaths and mostly one turn victories, lad.
>>
>>378429272
Sounds like you are, lad, if that's what you think you just read.

Maybe stop arguing with some asinine strawman and you'll stop coming across as some delirious retard.
>>
>>378428754
Don't worry anon, he's not actually dead. Kidnapped, yes.
>>
>>378429178
It wasn't, but fuck me if it didn't make GS look like shit.

>Characters with defined personalities
>Crisper, more readable and less derivative art
>An incredibly unique, challenging and fun battle system
>Better secrets
>Better customization
The only thing it lost out on was music.
>>
>>378429410
Level 2 summons don't even hit all that hard compared to some of your better unleashes, especially if you use stuff like Forge before hand. GS1 is easy enough that it doesn't matter but summon spam isn't always the best form of damage.
>>
>>378397608
>>378396724
is NOTHING safe from toho? I think the only thing that has infested more shit than tohofags is ponyshit
>>
>>378429424
>what you're saying is that you should always pick the easiest difficulty in a game with multiple difficulty options or else you're just "handicapping" yourself. Dumb as shit lad, check yourself.
>"WOW ARE YOU SAYING TO ALWAYS CHOOSE THE EASIEST ROUTE KYS MY MAN."

The only exaggeration here is capitalization and "kys" instead of "check yourself." You sure you're not the delirious one here? You can't even remember shit you just typed.
>>
>>378429619
BN1 had better gameplay but the story was equally underwhelming and GS pushed the GBA a lot harder than BN1 did for the time especially in terms of 3D.
>>
>>378429670
Its the problem with any series with a suitably large fanbase. The cancer grows uncontrollable.
>>
>>378429849
Are you actually okay there buddy? You're seriously starting to worry me here, how the fuck do you rationalize those two things being the same as your previous post?

Seriously man this is not okay, you're legitimately delirious at this point, get help, call someone, this can't keep going.
>>
>>378429883
At least its story had an actual fucking ending. And "pushing the system" doesn't mean shit if the game looks like a pixelated mess.

You need serious nostalgia to compare BN1 unfavorably with GS1. One was all flash while the other was more polished and substantial.
>>
>>378430090
>Comparing it unfavorably
But I'm not, i'm just saying that it wasn't that much better than GS1 like what you're trying to claim. It had its fair share of weaknesses too.
>>
>>378430076
Would you like to explain how these statements differ instead of talking like a moron? Because all I see here are two different versions of "you're saying to pick the easiest difficulty," the only meaningful distinction being "or you're handicapping yourself." Surely you wouldn't be so petty as to cite an implicit part of the statement as grounds for a misunderstanding just to win an internet argument, right? Clearly nobody would be so stupid as to do this instead of engaging in the original discussion.
Thread posts: 533
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.