[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i hear so much polarizing shit about this game, it's either

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: tales-of-xillia-2-review-cover.png (859KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
tales-of-xillia-2-review-cover.png
859KB, 1191x670px
i hear so much polarizing shit about this game, it's either in people's top 3 or rated as the absolute worst tales game ever

so which one is it? redpill me on Tales of Xillia 2 /v/. Your input is going to determine which tales game i play next
>>
only one worth something in this shit franchise
>>
>>378348121
It is without doubt the worst piece of shit Ive ever had the displeasure of playing
>>
File: Gaius_Cut-in_(ToX2)_1.png (301KB, 896x848px) Image search: [Google]
Gaius_Cut-in_(ToX2)_1.png
301KB, 896x848px
If you played the first Xillia it's worth trying out, but it's literally just more of the same. Some things were improved and some things were made worse. It has an enormous amount of reused assets with you revisiting every place in the first game and then it adds a sort of dark world mechanic so you can go through certain parts of the world a third fucking time except with a grainy filter over the whole thing.

I enjoyed the story and the characters but it's hampered a bit by how the story progresses in increments as you pay off the main character's debt. This leads to the game lacking the adventure or journey feel that is common in Tales and other jrpgs for that matter. There are very few new locations so at times it feels like you're just playing Xillia 1 with how they reuse everything. In the end the game feels like what Xillia 1 should have been. If you slapped 1 and 2 together they'd be a decent Tales game.
>>
>>378348121
the good:
the combat is fun and each of the people you play as are viable and can hold their own
the characters are likable and their interactions are pretty good

the bad:
the story is not that interesting
the game re uses almost all assets from xillia 1
the mc is op as fuck which makes you think why they even make it so they're 4 people in a battle at one time
the game limits you to what party members you can use until around mid to endgame
lack of fun minigames and in game costumes
>>
>>378348680
>>378349007
this tells me absolutely nothing

>>378349449
this tells me something, but i've never played Xillia1 so i'm still not sure whether or not the game is for me
>>
>>378350475
The game is better than Xillia 1, but I'm not sure how well you'd appreciate it without playing the first one. It's a direct sequel and most of the party members come directly from the first game. Xillia 2 does some attempts at explaining the overall events of the first game, but I guess it all depends on what you want to play it for. If you're in it for the story then I'd suggest you don't skip the first game.
>>
>>378351676
i heard xillia 1 was pretty lackluster so i'm not too worried about the plot, i'll just find a synopsis somewhere and read through it before i play Xillia2
>>
>>378348121
it's good, people are retarded

>complain about reused assets in a SEQUEL game, despite the fact it has quite a few new areas and dungeons.
>combat has been rebalanced from the first xillia so it's not shit, weakness system is great and ludger has access to all elements.
>ex dungeon is an entirely new dungeon area with unique gimmicks
>costumes that model swap you with NPCs so you can feel like they're playable
>best story in a tales game in a while, actually dark and not just some shitty power of friendship bullshit
>Gaius and Muzet playable

Only bad parts is the game forces the party members to use during story segments but that's good because it keeps the game fresh and different instead of using the same members the whole game.

The debt system is alright because you can just go kill a few of the big bad wanted monsters to progress
>>
>>378351676
As someone who has played both I feel 2 would be able to stand on its own and be a lot more appreciated if 1 didn't exist. Very little of value in 1 that's not replicated or improved in 2 and the story is a lot weaker even if 2's story is full of silly magic-science. 1s characters in 2 could easily have been introduced as they were in 2 and with a bit of touching up they'd work just as well or even better.
>>
>>378350270

>lack of fun minigames and in game costumes

Ludger actually got a pretty good amount of in-game costumes though. It was everyone else that got shafted.
>>
>>378348121
Great game, very fun, the last half hour of the game makes me want to punch everyone involved in it's creation. Play until the final dungeon then throw the disc out the window and just assume you finished it, you'll be more satisfied.
>>
>>378354148
To be fair 1 is so awful in this department it's not even funny and 2 is a huge improvement
>>
>>378354174
What? The final boss fight is fun as fuck. The 'bad' end is good too and surprising to see in a Tales game.
>>
>>378354403
True that, kill end boss, turf disc out window. Both ends are shit for various reasons.
>>
>>378348121
The game is good, the story is fairly solid and the gameplay is some of the best in the series. What turns a lot of people off from the game is the re-used assets(it's a sequel, go figure they'd re-use assets) and how the story is locked behind a debt mechanic(which is trivial if you know how to make use of the quest board / hunting giant monsters)
>>
File: tox_by_longangle-d7ppwrr.png (284KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tox_by_longangle-d7ppwrr.png
284KB, 500x500px
>>378348121
one of the worsts jrpgs ive ever played.
its an expansion to xillia 1 with a couple of new characters as the focus. story progression is held back by money walls. you need to rebeat xillia 1 bosses as money bounties, or just grind.
i wouldn't recommend this game unless you just beat xillia 1 and want to see what happened with the old characters.
but its still really really lazy.
>>
I got meme'd in to playing that awful trash X1 just to play this

Skip 1, the story and cast are terrible anyways and 2 gameplay is way more balanced.

The debt is a minor issue since you can get rich quickly
>>
>>378356120
then there's this fag
>>
>>378349449
you

get

fucking

GAIUS

also, i love the series, so i liked the costume DLC, especially the one for Gaius. where the FUCK is my english ToD remake?
>>
>>378348121
if you like devil may cry switching weapons on the fly combat, you might just enjoy xilla 2. the game pulls alot of shit that tuns me off (re-uses almost everything from the first game, the debet system, can not change party members outside a town, forced to have ludger in your party at all times, ludger having the personality of a brick wall etc).

if you can get it cheep, its atlest worth trying.
>>
Can someone explain me the "The old characters get killed by the new mc" stuff, because that sounds edgy as fuck
>>
File: Tales.of.Xillia.full.1517195.jpg (687KB, 1430x900px) Image search: [Google]
Tales.of.Xillia.full.1517195.jpg
687KB, 1430x900px
>>378348121

Story is good, combat is great, characters are good, world however is vacant and basically reused assets, soundtrack is surprisingly good, graphical design is simply average, life span of the game is pretty lengthy as well coming in at about 60 to 70 hours in total.

It's better than Xillia, but you definitely have to grind harder in this game than the original to get anywhere. That infamous debt collection thing being the key source of misery and restriction that you have to get used to until it's all paid off.
>>
File: 1419795898768.jpg (109KB, 960x681px) Image search: [Google]
1419795898768.jpg
109KB, 960x681px
>>378358584

It's one of the game's four endings and the first you can unlock. You can prematurely end the game by siding with a character in a certain scene that results in you having to kill the protagonists of the first game in self-defense.
>>
>>378358584
It's an optional bad ending toward the end of the game.
>>
File: FuckThisImOut.gif (2MB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
FuckThisImOut.gif
2MB, 500x280px
>>378357587

>Playable Gaius

They basically made Sephiroth playable with this.

He's limited in comparison to Ludger and the protagonists from the first game, but he's definitely fun to play as.
>>
It's sad as fuck. One of my favourite games.
>>
>>378351676

I wish they made ToX anime instead of that Zestiria that nobody asked
>>
>>378348121
The problem with Xillia 2 imo is that the first one is not that great but playing the second straight would feel pretty weird since you're supposed to be familiar with the old cast already. However playing 2 right after 1 feels bad too because you go to a lot of the same areas (more like all of them) and it feels extremely repetitive if you play them back to back.

So basically the only good way to play Xillia 2 is after 1 but like a year or more later or something.

That weirdness out of the way the MC is stylin' as fuck, you actually get choices in dialogue because of silent protagonist, they drop the "saving everyone together" theme in favor of "sacrifices are necessary, pick your poison" outcomes which feels somewhat refreshing.

Gameplay is one of the best if not the best in the series, lots of characters all with their own flavor, MC has 3 combat styles you can hotswap between, link mechanic with lots and lots of team attacks. It's so fluid and the AI is not retarded like Xillia1 and you can decide how they act when linked.
>>
File: 1482065920162.png (164KB, 413x352px) Image search: [Google]
1482065920162.png
164KB, 413x352px
I'm still mad about Alt Milla.
>>
>>378359242
>Limited
His counter is OP as fuck and he has a ton of good artes. I wouldn't call him limited.
>>
>>378359878
makes sense, since they did come out like a year or so apart of each other

but he is right, its a direct sequel with a mute MC. the MC can use other weapons, which cover the gambit of physical weaknesses nicely.

you also gotta get used to changing your weapons mid combo, but it does open up HUGE combo possibilities, which is fun to discover.

also, no one can't love Dr. Punchfist
>>
>>378360136
and he has a self heal, so fucking arena is easier without using someone who can't heal

i love the CC system, i couldn't go back to using TP anymore. it just feels archaic when its easier to just make spells and shit cost more CC.
>>
>>378360114
You better mean you're mad because she was better and had to go away so we get the "real" Milla instead of you're mad most of the game was her and not the one from X1.
>>
>>378360373
The former of course.
>>
I liked Xillia 1, even with its flaws.

Playing Xillia 2 just a year after was exhausting, having to trudge trough 90% of the same areas once again, just now with the god-awful dept-system that forces you to grind all the time. In the same areas you already grinded in 1.

Battle system isn't that much improved from 1 that it makes a difference, just feels more of the same, again.
The story was nice, but not worth all the other shit.
>>
>>378360498
>Playing Xillia 2 just a year after was exhausting, having to trudge trough 90% of the same areas once again

Pretty much this, played this after 2 years and still felt like that.
>>
>>378360498
I don't get why people had so much trouble with the debt system, it's not like it ever gated my progression, I just played the game normally without really caring about it and gave the bank slut money when she wants it instead of having to like run around in circles grinding money so I can afford to continue.
>>
The ending was so shit with so many plot holes and shit thrown out it made me retroactively hate the whole game.
>Curse doesnt end when the challenge is won
>Forcing a half assed heroic sacrifice
>Party instantly deletes every alt world despite bitching this is wrong the whole game
>Sacrifice creates an alt world which will make more alt worlds rendering everything moot
>>
>>378348121
The only value Tales games have is gameplay, which Xillia 2 excels in.
>>
>>378360964

It's shit, because you need to usually do all side quests to get the money to the next story bit. I just wanted to fly trough the story of 2, because I felt like I got enough of side quests in the first game, spending over 100 hours with that game.

In Xillia 2 you do the side quests or grind. They shouldn't even be called side quests if they're practically mandatory.
>>
>>378348121
The good things about xillia 2 are Elize and Milla Prime
>>
One of the better tales games for me.

Story changes it up from the first games standard adventure fare by playing around with alternative universes and has a few decent twists. Gameplay wise it tweaks the first games for the better and adds a few fun styles in the form of Ludgers arsenal. On the downside if you have played the first tales you're going to be seeing a lot of recycled shit, especially if you want to do the characters side stories. If you're fine with that then its at least worth checking out.
>>
>>378348121
Well, it's very much a mixed bag. It has some cool ideas but it also feels being a sequel to Xillia holds it back. Should have been it's own standalone game.
On the plus side it has one of the best battle-systems (for Tales and all ARPG). If you liked doing flashy combos you will be right at home.
>>
>>378348121

Gameplay was fine, my problem with it was it took a big frothy shit on all the Xillia 1 characters.

If you actually enjoyed Xillia 1 you'll probably take issue with this game. If however you disliked Xillia 1 you will probably enjoy this one more.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.