[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ARE THERE ANY FUCKING RACING GAMES WITHOUT FUCKING RUBBER BANDING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 15

File: Blur.jpg (252KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Blur.jpg
252KB, 1600x1200px
ARE THERE ANY FUCKING RACING GAMES WITHOUT FUCKING RUBBER BANDING AI?

I mean Jesus fucking Christ, I WANT to play racing games, but I can't fucking justify or enjoy playing any fucking racing game where 90% of the race doesn't fucking matter because no matter how well or shitty I do, my opponents will be right fucking next to me, and even if I played perfectly in first place 98% of the race and crashed once at the end I end up in 7th place.

With the exception of Blur and Trackmania, are there any racing games without that shit?
>>
dirt rally is really fun but i don't know if the AI rubberbands in rallycross because i never play that mode
>>
F1 2016
>>
>>378304430
Burnout paradise only has rubber banding during certain events where having other cars close to you is important
>>
>>378304430
Trackmania is the only one. There is no rubberbanding because there are no opponents, just you and the target time on the clock.
You could also try rally games, like Dirt Rally. Again, you're racing against the clock.

EVERY OTHER FUCKING RACING GAME HAS RUBBERBANDING
>>
>>378304924
WELL FUCKING SHIT

THEN I GUESS I'D LIKE SOME SUGGESTIONS OF RACING GAMES WHERE THE ENEMY IS THE CLOCK

SOMETHING WITHOUT OPPONENTS

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS PEOPLE?
>>
holy shit try an actual sim racer you numpty
>>
>>378304430
nfs undercover didnt have it
>>
>>378304430
gtao
>>
>>378304430
Do you want realism or kart racing? Crash Team Racing has no rubber banding and the AI doesn't have access to rubber banding weapons
>>
>>378304430
the crew doesnt
>>
Trackmania since you race against yourself or replays
>>
>>378305183
>ubisoft
nah
>>
>>378304430
Man Blur was amazing. Too bad it's ded. It's still fun in split-screen.
>>
>>378304430
Pretty much any racing game that isn't F-Zero
>>
File: 12655417172446.jpg (14KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
12655417172446.jpg
14KB, 210x240px
>>378304430
>muh rubber band boogey man
>muh impossible computer ai
>hur i literally cannot stop crashing into walls at the last possible second and then finishing last against all odds
>b-but i totally drove perfect the other 99% of the race
>>
>>378305306
Are you mentally retarded?

99% of racing games have rubber banding.
>>
>>378305368
It's not that people can't win. It's that it's not actually fun. The knowledge that skill performance doesn't matter is a huge turn off.
>>
>>378305183
Utter bullshit
>>
File: too fast.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
too fast.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>378304430
Redout has no rubber banding AI except for the first few missions for some reason.
>>
>>378304430
>>378305306
>>378305368

>implying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Cq6hvyzY4
>>
>>378305441
Don't you mean the knowledge the skill floor for basic success is beyond your reach is too frustrating for you to cope with?
>>
>>378305758
That's not rubberbanding, that's just a cheating AI.
>>
>>378304430
Need for Speed HP 2 had a option to turn it off or on.
However when it was turned off and you were good at the game it became to easy.
>>
>>378305765
Tell me. Why should I bother trying for the first 2 laps and a chunk of the third lap if know for a fact that the other cars are going to slow to a crawl to wait for me? What's the point of having that part there? Where's the fun in doing the best that I can, only for a miner mistake to cost me everything, just because it happened a bit later, whereas if it happened a minute earlier, it would have made no difference whatsoever?

Where's the fun?

Give me a hard, fun, challenging racing game, but one where the opponent doesn't resort to fucking cheating to win.
>>
>>378305758
>racing games in a nutshell
>>
>>378306169
>Tell me.
Very well.

>Where's the fun in doing the best that I can, only for a miner mistake to cost me everything, just because it happened a bit later, whereas if it happened a minute earlier, it would have made no difference whatsoever?
Harsh reality notwithstanding, in your utopian ideal difficulty insofar as it remains relevant to you does not exist, period. Without it there can be no conflict, no race, no challenge, no satisfaction, to improvement, simply put, no fun. It is a lonely place near the top of the skill ceiling. The difficulty ceiling is there to keep you occupied. It blocks your path.
>>
>>378306581
Mind rephrasing that without trying to sound like an arctic monk?
>>
"difficulty" doesnt work in a medium where you can stop or restart

In a "real" race, if your bumper clips a wall and you get sent into a spin-out, even if you miraculously recover and your fucking car still fucking works you're literally never going to catch up to the other cars because there is no rubberbanding in real life.

To simulate that, a dev can simply not have rubberbanding at all, and if your digital car clips the digital wall and you digitally spin out and now you can never digitally recover, you just fucking press start and select "retry race"
even if that functionality has been removed you can just turn the device off and on again, and its like your mistake never happened.
thus, the "difficulty" that was added was entirely circumvented, changing it into a "waste of fucking time" instead.
>>
>>378306892
>Difficulty as a concept in racing game is fatally flawed and cannot of necessity function properly because literally it's not real life
>>
>>378306892
the fun and difficulty comes from mastering the track, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>378306697
Difficulty is God in games. Do you think you deserve to usurp the God of racing without proving yourself worthy? Do you think the game universe would have been better off without God, its creator, all along? What do you honestly expect, realistically? You can't have it both ways. My advice is to stop rationalizing walking away in angry, resentful failure and look inwardly, seek atonement with Father Skill. Rise to the occasion, as usual. You complain about difficulty yet propose an alternative in which there is none, and yet you still don't see you're already in the Goldilocks Zone. There is no where better to go.
>>
>>378305758
NFS, I remember back in 2005/2006 a guy hacked NFS underground and change the speed of his car to 999Km/h top speed and the exact same thing happened.

good times
>>
>>378307648
I want fair difficulty. A difficulty where the other racers have the same abilities as I do. The SAME top speed. The racers should be programmed to complete the track in a certain way whilst trying to ram me, but I should be able to ram them as well. If I race better, either by making better turns, or mastering better shortcuts, I should win. The game can get harder by making the opponents race the track better, without making them cheat.
>>
>>378304430
I don't actually understand why people are upset about this mechanic. I mean, yes, it's not a realistic approximation of how an actual race works, but it's exactly how a videogame works.

Apply that logic to any other genre of game and it sounds retarded.

>I mean Jesus fucking Christ, I WANT to play platforming games, but I can't fucking justify or enjoy playing any fucking platforming game where 90% of the level doesn't fucking matter because no matter how well or shitty I do, my opponents will be right fucking next to me, and even if I played perfectly in first place 98% of the level and fell in one pit at the end I end up dying.
>>
>>378307829
The racing God, Difficulty, does not acknowledge your arrogant attempt to dictate to Him how He should be and what He ought to do to appease you. He demands sacrifice - your time, your sweat and tears. If you have not received his blessings thus far it is because your willingness to sacrifice was not great enough for the matter at hand. You have none to blame but yourself, I'm afraid.
>>
>>378304430
diddy kong racing
>>
>>378307958
...what?

What in the living fuck are you talking about?

In a platforming game, if you get hit by enemies, which you can absolutely avoid if you are skilled, you will get hurt. If you get hurt enough times, you die. It's the exact same thing in the majority of FPS's and other genres. Getting hit ONCE won't kill you, unless it's specifically a game where one hit ALWAYS kills you, or if it's a specific powerful enemy or something.

Racing games have the issue that it doesn't matter how badly or how good you do, because the game doesn't follow it's own rules. It's like, if you equate a racing game to an FPS, in a racing game, you start with 100hp, you go the whole level without getting hit, but randomly, in the last 5% of the level, your HP drops to fucking 1, and a single minor scratch will end your entire run and force you to start at the beginning.

Sure, you could AVOID getting hit, but if you do, it's infuriating because you made only the smallest mistake.

But it's even worse in racing games because you pretty much have infinite HP for the first 95% because all other racers slow down for you.

Plus, platformers and shit don't usually force you to restart the entire level, even if you do fall down a pit (which hardly happens anymore since most platformers have a double jump or wall bounce or something). You just go back to a checkpoint and maybe lose a life. Besides, missing a simple jump into a pit is a retarded comparison. It's far easier to crash while driving at a really high speed because maybe another car right next to you PUSHED you into something, or because a random corner jutting out decided to screw you. If you're playing a platform game and you miss a simple jump, that would be like suddenly deciding to drive backwards or some shit. It's difficult to be THAT bad in a platformer, at least if it's a fair game. And if it isn't fair, then that's a problem with the game, not the genre.
>>
>>378308517
but if you don't*
>>
>>378308517
>It's like, if you equate a racing game to an FPS, in a racing game, you start with 100hp, you go the whole level without getting hit, but randomly, in the last 5% of the level, your HP drops to fucking 1, and a single minor scratch will end your entire run and force you to start at the beginning.
This seems like more of an issue with racing, the sport, rather than the game. It's part and parcel of the experience. If you don't like that, you might just not like racing. That's part of the thrill, you see. It builds suspense more and more towards the end, as the stakes become higher and higher. That's not a flaw?

>>378308517
>You just go back to a checkpoint and maybe lose a life.
This, perhaps, is.

>>378308517
>And if it isn't fair, then that's a problem with the game, not the genre.
How is it fair that you have human intelligence and the crappy AI has, what, the mind of a mouse? Look, you don't have the ability to make the rules; the game doesn't have the ability to react to you in real time.

You want there to be no consequence for your own mistakes, no chance of losing; the other cars should just drive the same speed as you, or lower, and they sure as Hell better stay the fuck out of your way. Unless you're ramming them off the road with impunity. That's 'fair' to you.

Sounds like your life would be a lot better if you threw in the racing towel and popped in some good old Mario, from now on?
>>
File: 3126064-f12016_screenshot_baku.jpg (722KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3126064-f12016_screenshot_baku.jpg
722KB, 1920x1080px
Why are racing games so niche? Is it because steering wheels are expensive?
>>
>>378304430
F1 games by Codemasters don't seem to have rubber banding. Of course they aren't arcade games like Blur and Need for Speed that you can play with a controller while chugging beer with your friends but...
>>
>>378304430
PARK LIFE
>>
rFactor 2
>>
>>378309224
Because nobody knows how to do a decent sp campaign anymore, now it's just muh graphics, muh online and muh simulation, the boom that nfs, burnout, gt etc created died because all those franchises are dead and indie devs are too scared and incompetent to replace them.
>>
>>378309178
>This seems like more of an issue with racing, the sport, rather than the game.
Well, no, because this isn't fucking real life and this isn't anything remotely like real life. In real life, racers don't fucking slow down for people behind them. In real life, ALL the racers can make mistakes, unlike computers who will never made a mistake unless you personally make them do it. In real life, racers can't suddenly increase their top speed out of fucking nothing. In real life, if a racer makes a mistake at the very start, and another racer makes a similar mistake near the end, then they would probably cross the finish line at around the same time.

>This, perhaps, is.
Being forced to go back in a game isn't in itself a flaw. It's a punishment for fucking up. But if I play a game like Doom, go through 95% of the level without being hit once, and then the last fucking imp does 1000000 damage in one hit to me because I didn't avoid a single projectile, then you know what? That WOULD be a fucking flaw, because it would be completely fucking unfair and just outright frustrating. Did I make a mistake? Yes. Does that mean I deserve the harshest possible punishment when at any other point in the game it would have only resulted in a normal sized punishment, especially when I played perfectly all the rest of the time and saved up all my HP which should protect me from future mistakes? NO!

>How is it fair that you have human intelligence and the crappy AI has, what, the mind of a mouse?
Because the AI's crappy mouse mind have been specifically fucking PROGRAMMED to EXCEL at that specific racing task. If you shrunk me down into the size of a mouse and put me into a maze that other mice have done 10000 fucking times, you can bet that they would beat me in a race.

I want consequences, but fair consequences. If I do extremely well, I should be rewarded by being ahead of the other racers, and having at least a few moments of time where my mistakes will not ruin my run
>>
>>378309224
Because it's not made for your average manchild vidya addicted and it requires a lot of skill.
>>
Do Racing games really have any challenge without rubberanding?
>>
>>378304430
Redout doesn't have it.
>>
>>378306892
you are retarded
>>
>>378304430
No part of CTR has any sort of rubber banding. I remember my friend lapping the final boss the last time he played it.

I don't think the Wipeout games do, nor does BallisticNG.

>>378310158
Outside of racing for time, not really. Once you git gud enough at a racing game the only thing to do is just race against the clock for a best time.
>>
>>378306581
>>378307648
>>378308207

jesus fucking christ this is some of the most autistically edgy 14 year old wannabee intellectual shit I've read all year
>>
Better question. Why is Blur not on Steam?
>>
File: MC2_Paris_Race.jpg (79KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MC2_Paris_Race.jpg
79KB, 640x480px
>>378304430
Midnight Club 2.
Maybe 3 too, but I'm still not sure 100%.
>>
File: it is though.png (113KB, 728x180px) Image search: [Google]
it is though.png
113KB, 728x180px
>>378310628
>>
>>378310796
it isn't there anymore.
>>
>>378310889
yeah. i know

I just wanted to crush some anons hopes.

:^)
>>
Did Midnight Club III have it? I can't remember, but I loved that game.
>>
>>378304560
it doesn't but the AI cars weigh a shiton more than yours, you can't drive them off for example
>>
>>378309224
I played that game with a steering wheel at a friend. It requires quite some practice (like >>378309767 said) and a money investment, so there isn't a huge audience for it.
>>
File: 1481781875836.png (152KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
1481781875836.png
152KB, 269x270px
>>378310628
It got removed, but I don't remember the exact reason. You can probably still get it by buying a key.
>>
File: 1363728033639.png (459KB, 782x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1363728033639.png
459KB, 782x1022px
>>378310558
>be pleb on /v/
>see someone who types better than me
>my masculinity is threatened
>lash out in insult
>misdiagnose the problem by 14+ years in the wrong direction
>can't tell the difference between an actual child's writing and an adult
>automatically assume all writing which checks like three inner autistic red flags belongs to a particular imagined class of poster
>"stop saying stuff so i can't understand it"
Sorry old boy, I'm like this all the time.
>>
>>378311575
even a braindead retard would be able to see that all those posts were written by the same retarded waste of life individual

end it
>>
>>378311469
Probably GFWL. Same with FUEL.
>>
>>378304430
I wish Blur had done better, that game was a lot of fun.
>>
>>378311726
>Well, no, because this isn't fucking real life and this isn't anything remotely like real life. In real life, racers don't fucking slow down for people behind them. In real life, ALL the racers can make mistakes, unlike computers who will never made a mistake unless you personally make them do it. In real life, racers can't suddenly increase their top speed out of fucking nothing. In real life, if a racer makes a mistake at the very start, and another racer makes a similar
>i'm so edgy and different and misunderstood, i'm going to manifest my teenage rebeliousness by CHOOSING - YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT MS. BROWNFOX, CHOOSING - to disregard punctuation! And then? I'm gonna tell people to 'end it', because 'kill yourself' isn't 'cool' anymore.

Face it son, you're jealous. Mad at what you can't have and secretly yearn to be.
>>
>>378311993
sure, why the fuck not
>>
>>378309760
>That WOULD be a fucking flaw,
Prove it. The reasons you provided don't count. It is not apparent they are flaws, necessarily.

>>378309760
>Does that mean I deserve the harshest possible punishment when at any other point in the game it would have only resulted in a normal sized punishment, especially when I played perfectly all the rest of the time and saved up all my HP which should protect me from future mistakes? YOU'RE GOD DAMN FUCKING RIGHT IT DOES, BITCH.

Just kidding but seriously your past performance record is not a bargain with the future ensuring your success. That's just the way it is, always has been and will be.

If you suffered such a catastrophic, albeit cheap, death, you would find out real quick that precluding similar outcomes becomes your top priority. This does not happen in your proposed scenario. This is a sizable change in gameplay experienced. Yours has less to worry about. How is that better?

>>378309760
>I want consequences, but fair consequences.
Difficulty 'to taste' is not difficult. You long for an impossible fantasy where games would actually be worse than they are in reality. What a twisted soul you are.
>>
>>378312735
Honestly, if you can't fucking understand why it's a flaw to have the last 5% of a race be the only part that matters and determine if you win or come in last place, and if you have a problem with me wanting a fair punishment for error, then I don't see why I should even bother replying to you.

If I was playing Dark Souls, and saved up 10 estus just before a boss fight by being super careful throughout the level, it would be completely unfair to take all of it away as soon as I entered the boss room. If you do well in a game, you should be rewarded, and if you do badly, you should be punished. This is basic shit, but it doesn't mean that killing one enemy should level you up to max or something stupid like that. It should be fair. I don't see why this is such a difficult concept to understand. I've already explained why it's a flaw. Saying it doesn't count just because doesn't mean jack shit.

There shouldn't be any fucking cheap deaths in games if they are too be fun. They shouldn't exist, and for the most part, they don't. It's a flaw to have cheap, shitty deaths. But the original comparison is still largely stupid because of how easy it is to avoid these so called "cheap deaths" in other games. They are hardly cheap if you can avoid them just by being slightly ok at the game. Racing games with rubber banding don't work the same way.

As for my impossible fantasy, most games seem to do just fine, just not racing games in general. Burnout paradise did it good, at least in normal races, and blur was pretty good about it as well. There's no good reason why the systems used in those games can't exist in other racing games without also being good there.
>>
>>378313359
>If I was playing Dark Souls, and saved up 10 estus just before a boss fight by being super careful throughout the level, it would be completely unfair to take all of it away as soon as I entered the boss room.
Lol yeah because that would make no god damn sense, it would be inconsistent. That's a luxury Souls-style gameplay happens to afford you. It is not a valid comparison, let a supporting argument, for the abolishment from racing games an aspect which mirrors the reality of the source sport to make it more accessible to casuals.

I don't argue that it sucks, and is unfair, when that happens. I'm just not willing to admit as a rule that those things constitute flaws, per se.

>>378313359
>If you do well in a game, you should be rewarded,
You are rewarded in racing every second, by the second, as it happens whenever this happens. Protip: Speed is its own reward. It's a perpetual feedback loop.

>>378313359
>It should be fair.
Fuck fairness. Fairness is for pussies. Life isn't fair and neither should games be.

It seems to me your main problem with racing is this. It's requiring you to progress to do something you can't reliably do, due to reasons you disagree with on (misguided) principle, and penalizing more than you feel is right. You can't hack it, you feel bad, and you blame the game. Not just the game, but racing game design in general.

I'm sympathetic, and trying to help you see.

>>378313359
>There's no good reason why the systems used in those games can't exist in other racing games without also being good there.
There is a fine reason. Artistic license. (That way not all racing games are the same, which believe it or not is probably for the best.)
>>
>>378314517
>You are rewarded in racing every second

Not if there's rubber banding.

>Fuck fairness.

So then you're just a fan of artificial difficulty, alright then. Pro tip, if you want difficulty in a racing game it should stem from the track, not the other racers. Racing is ultimately against a timer.
>>
>>378314517
>Fuck fairness. Fairness is for pussies. Life isn't fair and neither should games be.

I see now that I've been completely wasting my time with you.

I'm done. I don't care any more.

Do whatever the fuck you want.

I'm going to bed.
>>
>>378314656
>So then you're just a fan of artificial difficulty, alright then.
I don't know what that means, but I'm sure I'm not, and certainly not because I don't blindly believe in fairness as the golden rule of difficulty.
>>
>>378305705
Redout was just... too fast.
The iceland levels don't give you any time to prepare, the player is just going from wall to wall. It's very, very hard to learn the tracks, as you won't be able to see shit.
>>
>>378310158
The single player campaign of Sonic Racing Transformed was quite challenging, but I don't know how much rubberbanding that game had.
>>
>>378305668
It actually doesn't, if your car is fast and/or you're gud you can just fucking dump on them and finish some of the longer races with several minutes of lead to the next opponent. The only underhanded shit the AI does is ignoring low grip conditions with the P and C class cars, it just rockets around on snow like it's dry tarmac while you're just stuck spinning about.
>>
I really liked the 'rewind' mechanic Dirt 2 had, it's a real pity they omitted it in Rally because the amount of times I've completely lost the plot because the Stratos did something bizarre is frankly ridiculous.
>>
>>378304430
I know you mentioned it op but really, Blur, Trackmania, and Burnout Paradise are the only good examples I can think of that I know pretty much for sure don't have it (except paradise in special game modes). Of course trackmania doesn't cuz no opponents.

I've played quite a few racing games and this happens almost all the game. It's quite frustrating. But at least we have those 3 games. Fun.
>>
>>378315421
The lack of 'rewind' mechanic forces you to be careful and being afraid of crashing. If you can drive recklessly, where's the challenge?
You just won't be able to feel like you are rally driver if mistakes have no consequences.

There are many, many other games where you can ram the walls without penalties.
>>
Bambino Rally 3
>>
>>378305705
Its funny how some negative reviews try to tell you that it has rubber banding.. I actually wish it had because its way too easy to beat the AI and you're just forced to drive time and other trials.
>>
>>378315614
>If you can drive recklessly, where's the challenge?
It morphs: to drive as recklessly as possible.
>>
>>378315614
Not him but fuck that, don't like rewind? Don't use it, don't put me in the leaderboards, give me less $$$, who cares.

Dirt Rally completely failed at the "game" aspect by not letting you use a rewind, having to restart every single time is just frustrating, it doesn't make you git gud, it's just annoying.
>>
>>378316078
>>378315905
But then why are you playing a rally simulator, designed around realism and showing resilience after long tracks?
It's like complaining that you can't rocket jump in Arma games.
>>378316078
So don't crash, don't restart, drive like a real driver would do and not like a retard that doesn't know how to brake. If you are looking for an arcade rally racing, there are plenty in the market. Don't think that all games have to cater to your particular tastes.
>>
>>378305034
need for speed the run has a challenge mode where you race against the clock on some huge tracks, if you got a wheel there's some serious fun to be had, if not, skip it
>>
File: 1462486131305.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462486131305.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>378310630
>>378310984
>/v/ is to young to remember a fucking PS2 game
>>
>>378316220
Playing the simulator card doesn't really help the fact that the game doesn't give proper tools for a decent learning curve, with a poor campaign and other two lazily finished modes.
>>
>>378304430
You're gonna wanna play the Flatout series. It's all on PC and really really fun
>>
>>378316220
>But then why are you playing a rally simulator, designed around realism and showing resilience after long tracks?
>This is highly unorthodox!
Some rules need to be broken.

>>378316078
>Not him but fuck that, don't like rewind? Don't use it
You kind of have a point. I'm generally in favor of more options than less. But you would be surprised how many idiots right here on /v/ would be willing to fight to the death that the inclusion of optional content they don't like somehow breaks the game. Really it is best left where it is: in the hands of the developers, an opportunity for them to make artistic decisions.
>>
>>378304430
I played Split Second only last year. Rubber banding only seemed to work in the player's favor - the AI will never let you drop more than 10 seconds behind unless you suck on purpose, but can't do shit to you if you get 10 seconds ahead. Within a 1 to 10 second gap, there are a multitude of ways they can gank you using Power Plays, however.
>>
>>378316562
Literally all of them have rubber banding

what the fuck anon
>>
>>378316668
I've played the shit out of Flatout 2 and I swear there isn't. It has a form of 'ruberbanding' where if the AI is behind you, their cars go faster
>>
>>378316789
what the fuck do you think rubber banding means?

Thats literally exactly the definition you JUST gave it
>>
>>378315614
Not having any real feedback (no, force feedback isn't any good) from the car is disadvantage enough, especially in 'unpredictable' cars like the stratos. You only know you're losing traction when it's far, far, too late.

The challenge is pushing the car to the very edge of what it can do while maintaining the best line, as it is without the rewind mechanic. The only difference is the with rewind that race doesn't need to be a writeoff if you don't want it to. Being able to suck yourself out of crashes doesn't mean shit if you're not going as fast as you can and driving as efficiently as you can. It also removes the need for rubberbanding to mitigate mistakes without removing enjoyment for people who aren't looking for a pure sim.
>>
>>378316789
Anon, that's what rubber banding is.
Computer cars becoming faster when they are behind, and slower when in front.

They stretch from going faster to slow and go back and forth.

That's why it's called rubber banding.
>>
>>378316949
>people still spouting this conspiratorial nonsense
What would be the point? Why would they bother?
>>
God Blur was fun, now I'm sad.

PC needs more arcade racers
>>
File: 1401433427497.png (42KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
1401433427497.png
42KB, 500x354px
>>378317207
>rubber banding
>conspiratorial nonsense
>>
>>378317207
>conspiratorial nonsense

this has been a staple in racing games for fucking years upon years.

The vast majority of racing games have it

fucking read up about it
>>
>>378315330
It didn't. Characters had better stats under AI (depending on difficulty/speed, if I recall right), but no rubberbanding whatsoever. Worth noting Sumo absorbed people from the studio that made Blur after it shut down, so yeah.
>>
>>378317995
One thing rubberbandanna wearing nutbags never explain is how in the actual fuck would Sony or the government or whoever they claim is responsible for this go about the task of inserting a rubber band, a physical object in our reality into a virtual realm, like a racing game? Good luck with that.
>>
>>378317207
what the fuck are you talking about you idiot?
most racing games have rubber banding

it's just that in some cases it's far worse than others, but pretty much all of them have it, and you can clearly see it

https://youtu.be/tYotAMLOtf4?t=818
>>
>>378310526
>No part of CTR has any sort of rubber banding

Yeah it does, it's just not very good. If you had the map turned on instead of the speed-o-meter, you can see bosses tearing through the level to catch up to you.
>>
>>378304752
Looking back at it, I have no idea why Burnout Paradise got any hate at all, it's like the perfect racing game
>>
>>378318271
>random youtube videos
No thanks, I'll just go ahead and place my trust in actually credible news outlets, such as CNN.

Oh and btw I had a college buddy who personally designed a hit racing game in my living room from start to finish. I can confirm there were no rubberbands involved at any time throughout. I played racing games before too and never saw a single rubberband anywhere.
>>
>>378318638
oh fuck off already
>>
File: 1487803589296.png (201KB, 647x647px) Image search: [Google]
1487803589296.png
201KB, 647x647px
>>378310952
Mission accomplished, then.
>>
>>378319095
:^)
>>
>>378319160
I really need to find this game. I played the shit out of the demo but was too poor for the full game when it came out.
>>
>>378319235
Own any consoles? You'd be able to find it for pretty cheap on ebay. Probably a PC copy as well if it isn't online only or whatever.

I'd figure as much anyway.
>>
>>378319356
Still got a 360, but I don't even know if it still works; it's seen some shit.

I'll check, though. Wish it was just on Steam.
>>
Diddy Kong Racing doesn't have rubberbanding.

Not to my knowledge anyway.
>>
>wipeout is dead as fuck
>burnout is dead as fuck
>all we have left are racing games for turbo autistic faggots and manchildren
>>
Forza Horizon 3, the AI doesn't rubber band
Get the hot wheels expansion also
>>
>>378320261
Sure, just let me uninstall my Win7 for one game.
>>
>>378311575
you won't be 14 forever, kid.
>>
File: 1344721485437.jpg (261KB, 566x973px) Image search: [Google]
1344721485437.jpg
261KB, 566x973px
>>378320672
So edgy I can hear your bad Batman impersonation echoing in my mind.
>>
File: skelesexy.jpg (57KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
skelesexy.jpg
57KB, 900x900px
>>378320261
Too bad it's an NSA Exclusive title. I'm not switching to fucking windows 10 until Bill Gates comes to my house and personally puts my nuts in a vice until I do. Patiently waiting for a good racing game to come out where I can drive old 50's and 60's hot rods without needing a spyware OS.
>>
>>378304430
>The only racing game on steam that mattered
>removed

why are we here

to suffer?
>>
>>378319674
Came here to say this.
>>
>>378314797
>I don't know what that means

It means difficulty that stems from circumstances outside of the players control. In some games it's RNG, in some games it's leaps of faith, in racing games it's rubberbanding AI.

>>378321996
But Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed is still on steam.
>>
>>378322385
The AI does rubberband, and will get the "Swarm" item (it sends giant insects to try to block the first place racer) a LOT if you're in first. That said, it also has a rubber band "snap", where if you're far enough ahead of the pack the AI won't even try to catch up anymore.
>>
File: 1495969984912.jpg (56KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495969984912.jpg
56KB, 960x720px
Forza Motorsport & Forza Horizon
>>
>>378322385
>circumstances outside of the players control.
But anon, does not the player ultimately control everything his avatar does? Is not everything that happens to his avatar a consequence of his own actions, ultimately?

I am skeptical such situations actually exist.
>>
>>378322495
There's no rubberbanding, the characters have better static stats on the higher classes but they won't react to you getting ahead. Getting swarm more often is not exclusive to AI either, if you fall behind the game will prioritize it.
>>
>>378320898
Does mommy dearest ever ask you where all the tinfoil went?
>>
>>378323641
Silly anon, (((they))) changed the formula from tin to aluminum long ago exactly for that reason.
Coat hangers hanging from the ceiling still works luckily
>>
>>378307570
>the fun and difficulty comes from mastering the track,
>fuck up on the last lap, end up last place
>wtf this shit AI
Guess you haven't mastered the track yet anon.
>>
>>378322707
>does not the player ultimately control everything his avatar does?

Yes, but if the enemy AI can flawlessly follow the player at a set distance then his actions are irrelevent beyond a set distance in the lead. His extreme efforts for driving flawlessly will go unrewarded and he'll get unfairly punished for minor mistakes despite his previous work.

It's like if you played Mega Man and you went through the entire stage unhurt, only to reach the boss and die to 1 shot from the bosses attack.

>>378324761
It's still an unfair punishment for a minor mistake. That, and time trials are the mode people should do for "perfect laps".
>>
>>378325147
>His extreme efforts for driving flawlessly will go unrewarded and he'll get unfairly punished
Burden of proof for this extraordinary claim is on you.
>>
>>378325327
That's the definition of rubber banding AI you dumb cunt, when enemy racers can only fall behind by so much before the game cheats and makes them drive faster than their AI will naturally allow.

https://www.giantbomb.com/rubber-band-ai/3015-35/
>>
>>378325843
What's with this conspiracy perogative labelling? What you just described sounds to me, as an objective party, a robust dynamic insurance policy on difficulty. It should ensure the race is always neck and neck.
>>
>>378318459
It got hate because you raced on the same courses over and over and over and over and over
>>
File: F12tdf.jpg (567KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
F12tdf.jpg
567KB, 1920x1080px
>>378322637

This. I'm always losing the pack. There's usually only one AI in the bunch that will actually be tough.
>>
>>378326619
The race shouldn't be neck and neck if you can outrace the AI. The AI should have a set level of competency and the driver should be able to overcome it. see >>378325147
>>
>>378317207
Are you actually retarded or are you pretending?
>>
>>378327575
I personally agree but in theory why SHOULD that be the case? Divine right of the player? That assumes he prefers relative ease to potential thrill. That's a risky bet.

It sounds like if you just play well enough, and don't fuck up that one time near the end, that's it. GG.
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.