[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this still considered one of the greatest games of all-time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2584.png (142KB, 370x269px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2584.png
142KB, 370x269px
Why is this still considered one of the greatest games of all-time? Unlike its contemporaries such as Mario 64 there's nothing in particular about it that mechanically surpasses even the games of today's time.
>>
>>378266057
It popularized a lot of those mechanics you're talking about, so it deserves that recognition at least.
>>
>>378266057
Old games that still hold up today are a lot more respected than good games that are made today
>>
I think the combat is really fun if you're used to the controls, but not enough to know about power crouch stabs, then it's kinda lame. But even without the combat it has a few good days of gaming to offer.
>>
>>378266057
>it's a contrarian desperate for attention thread

haha
>>
>>378266301
Nope it's a question worth posing at least. It's why it's still worth discussing why Citizen Kane is considered a masterpiece after all these years.
>>
>>378266057
a lot of people played it and enjoyed it, if you didn't play it when it was relevant you missed the boat and would never ever be able to understand unless you played it then.
>>
>>378266057
Fuck off. It's atmosphere during the adult dungeons alone surpases almost any shit from games these days. The gameplay just feels great and the sense of progression is really satisfying.
>>
>>378266057
It isnt even the best zelda game. LttP is.
>>
>>378266706
I was only really a fan of the Water Temple, not to say the others weren't above average though
>>
>>378266057
It's kinda like what Citizen Kane did for movies, Ocarina of Time set the standards for features that would become common in modern 3D action-adventure games. Neither is particularly impressive by today's standards, though they are still enjoyable in their own right.
>>
3D has always been a 2D fantasy, and the first manifestations of that fantasy in real life, early 3D games, often fantasized about 2D. It was a perfect match, complete harmony; true, mutual, requitted love. But, sadly, it was a short-lived affair. 3D soon grew apart, becoming arrogant and egotistical, thinking it could be anything it wanted to be - an interactive story, a cinematic experience, a walking simulator - anything besides "just a game." To that end, it didn't really need 2D ideals anymore; it didn't care so much about gameplay because, with such pretty pictures, who needs it, right?
>>
>>378266057
mario 64 sucked as a platformer, and thus as a mario game. only the bowser levels hold up
>>
>>378267020
>opening the start menu every 3 seconds
>fun

Pick one
>>
Because you can play it on the 3DS now and its still one of the best games released in the past decade.
>>
>>378266057
nostalgia, that's literally it
>>
>>378269049
This is why i keep dropping MGS3 mid-playthrough despite loving the game.
>>
>>378269110
Disagree, I still play it through to completion every couple years. Most old games I boot up for nostalgia won't see more than half an hour of dicking around until I shut it off. Ocarina is still fun.
>>
>>378269049
How can I pick one when they're one and the same? Fuck yea! The start menu! My favorite type of menu.

That's 20 seconds of fun per minute, right there. You really can't top that, honestly.

Fucking contrarians...
>>
>>378266057
It's fun.
>>
>>378266057
Because it was the first 3D adventure
>>
Because it was the first 3d Zelda game.
That's it, that's all the reason I ever see argued.
Because it was the first that automatically makes it the best.
>>
>>378266057

An underrated aspect of its design: the environments are not defined by their textures so much as their shape.
>>
File: 1479572982077.png (130KB, 690x734px) Image search: [Google]
1479572982077.png
130KB, 690x734px
>>378270639
As very early 3D game, there is a fleeting design philosophy underlying everything about it that sets it apart from most 3D games in strange and subtle ways no one in gaming has managed to articulate yet.
>>
>>378266057
because it's FUN
>>
>>378270991
Limitations are what made it special.

Literally every polygon counting and being made sure it was necessary. Its design is just a standard zelda with a very basic story added.

The visual clarity when you look at the world is fantastic though. The way empty space contrasts with other spacial elements and how the contour of the environments leads the eyes just so to create art thats not only interactive but begs to be noticed at every turn.
>>
>>378266706
the dark temple was my favourite
>>
>>378271521
Yeah and it's fucking surreal as all Hell, too. Nightmareish, almost, not for being particularly scary, but by how damn bizarre things are.
>>
File: Heheh.png (423KB, 1160x641px) Image search: [Google]
Heheh.png
423KB, 1160x641px
>>378270752
So... somebody else has noticed it. The final quality that nobody has been able to successfully emulate from Ocarina of Time. Hmmhmhmm... Well done, anon. Perhaps you're almost as good a game analyst as me.
>>
>>378272508
>>378270752
You rusemen are not too far from an actual interesting observation. If you applied yourselves, you could do real good in the world of games analysis, maybe.
>>
File: media_cloud_big.jpg (153KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
media_cloud_big.jpg
153KB, 800x600px
>>378270639
Why, hello there
>>
>>378268291
Wtf is this Citizen Kane thing I keep hearing about?
>>
Because it's better than the newest zelda
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.