[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helo /v/, I need a gaming laptop. I'm a recovering macfag,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: best-gaming-laptop-reviews-1.png (148KB, 1000x530px) Image search: [Google]
best-gaming-laptop-reviews-1.png
148KB, 1000x530px
Helo /v/,

I need a gaming laptop. I'm a recovering macfag, so to be honest I find the array or options a bit confusing. What I do know is I want the laptop to be:

-15" screen (4K preferable, 1080p OK too)
-i7 Kabylake
-nVidia 1070 or 1060
-Decent battery life. Is 4+ hours decent?
-Trying to stay under $2000

I thought the MSI laptops looked pretty good, but the reviews I found kind of shit on them, especially in the battery life area. What do you guys recommend?
>>
>Gaming laptop
>Decent battery life

No.
>>
>>378245957
>gaming laptop
You're doing it wrong

>Trying to stay under $2000
Buy a Chromebook
Build a mini itx gaming machine
Save $1000+ for pop-tarts
>>
Unless you seriously need a laptop for travel stay away from "gaming" laptops.
>>
>>378246230
What kind of laptop would you recommend then?
>>
>What do you guys recommend?
None of them. Also:
>4k at 15"
>probably want an i7 because you think "it has an i7 so it must be good" instead of looking at what you actually need
It seems pretty clear you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>378245957
OK, I'm gonna be as blunt and straight with you as possible:

Unless you ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE a laptop, just BUILD a DESKTOP PC.
It will be way more worth your money and time, providing you a notably stronger, longer lasting and UPGRADEABLE system, with smaller failure rate. There's tons of tutorials, guides and other helpful services to get you started with assembling your very own PC, the procedure is very simple nowadays, and it will teach you a lot about computers.

Now, if you do indeed REQUIRE a laptop, you are going to have to do your research for best deals, or use one of the many services online to order a custom-built laptop machine.

4K is fucking meme, especially in sub-20" screens, and it will only crank up the costs AND be a performance hinderance.
i7 is more understandable, but quite unnecessary for gaming use only. i5 is more than enough.

The dedicated GPU is the most important thing for gaming, and those you seem to already got covered. The 1050ti however would still be a great GPU, especially in a portable machine, as it fares great at least at 1080p/60fps.

you will never play on a battery. Never.
However, 4+ h our of gaming-grade machine is good; they seldom even get 2h, unless you use low-power modes and disable shit.

I would never fucking ever pay more than 1000 bucks for a PC nor a laptop. Again, the portable form-factor and brand-bullshit will make laptops more expensive than desktops. That being said, Asus, MSI and Lenovo have perhaps the best Price:Performance ratios, while total shit like Alienware are literally the gaming equivalents of Apple's toys: overpriced just because of the name.
>>
Gaming laptops are for faggots, build a PC and spend 100-200 bucks on a chromebook
>>
>>378246415
Chromebooks or Dell XPS
>>
>>378246747
>and spend 100-200 bucks on a chromebook
kys Google shill, kys.

You can get a superb refurbished ThinkPad with 200 buckaroos, something that'd run at least Source games at 720p + most emulators nicely.
>>
>gaming laptop
you can not be serious
>decent battery life
there is no such thing plug it into a wall
>under $2000
its alright guys he is only pretending to be retarded
>>
>this whole thread
gaming laptops are fine, but never pay over 1000 for one.
>>
I've only made bad experiences with gaming laptops so I would recommend getting a desktop instead.
Portable gaming isn't a thing - you need a power supply, a large, clean surface and the environment that won't be bothered by your loud fans. You will pretty much never have all three and on top have to carry expensive hardware around.

Just get a smartphone for browsing while on the go and a desktop to play games when at home.
>>
this is jay
he is a professional shill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e17O7kB0HX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T5RrdhXpjY
also you have not enough currency
>>
File: skelskel.jpg (18KB, 323x400px) Image search: [Google]
skelskel.jpg
18KB, 323x400px
>>378247145
>gaming laptops are fine
People like you are always why those new to pc gaming end up wasting way more money than necessary.
>>
>>378245957
If you want to blow 700-1100 eurodollars, you can take the cheaper brand.

If you're willing to spend more, then go MSI, Clevo or Alienware (But I wouldn't recommand Alienware since they're really expensive). The quality built will be by far superior. Drop the 4K idea, it's beyond useless on a laptop (4K on a 17 inch is overkill), especially if your 1st occupation with it will be gaming. i7 Kabylake is clearly not your major preocupation. Skylake for laptop are very good and you can probably find good prices since some shops will be willing to finish their stock of Skylake. TAKE A MASSIVE CASE. It's heavier, bigger, uglier, I know. But, don't use a computer with a 1070 and i7 that is slim as fuck. Your pc WILL overheat.

Also with a gaming laptop, you will ALWAYS have a shitty battery life. 4 hours for a gaming laptop is huge. I'm not sure I ever saw a gaming laptop able to run a game for more than 2 hours.

Real question now is, do you really need a gaming laptop ?
>>
>>378247378
didn't I just say NOT to spend too much on laptops? You can get a killer PC for way less than a thousand.
>>
>>378246187
It's possible to get a decent laptop that can do some gaming in the $800 price range (just don't expect to get 60fps on new games). Of course there are compromises with laptops and a desktop is always the best way to go for PC gaming.

If you can only have one computer and you need a laptop, then this is your best option.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS1T197/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_6_w
>>
>>378247757
>just don't expect to get 60fps on new games
even that's fairly easily doable, if you got anything better than GTX 750M, and don't crank all settings to Ultra.

t. been on 560ti for 6 years now, and doing fine at 1080p.
>>
Since op is bust im looking for a laptop for video editing thats 500 or under. The only things im lookong for is 1080 and processing power for hd video editing
>>
>>378247927
look up refurbished business ThinkPads with i7 CPU, 8GB RAM minimum, and maybe one of those bis-style Nvidia GPUs. I've seen them go for less than 400 bucks at best on Ebay.
>>
>>378247563
I guess not. I already built a newish desktop that does well with gaming. I mainly need a laptop for travel, and I thought it'd be nice to be able to keep up with Fallout 4 when I'm on the road.
>>
>>378248060
I have been looking at those. I had found one unused opened packaging on amazon for 200 but didnt have the money at the time.
>>
>>378246554
He's made that pretty clear himself faggot
>>
>>378247757
You're going to pay more, for less capable hardware.
$200-300 laptop + $500-$600 desktop will be a lot better at both portability and game performance.
>>
>>378248829
$200-$300 laptops tend to be really shitty.

Maybe a secondhand macbook air and a gaming desktop would be better.
>>
>>378245957
buy a used ideapad y500 or y510p
they're haswell i7 + and come with a GTX 755m
the dvd drive was also replaceable to allow for a second 755M sli
you'll be spending about $600 or so
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.