[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Sony IPs so bad? Why do they usually abandon them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: Soft Spoken Rapist.png (226KB, 280x360px) Image search: [Google]
Soft Spoken Rapist.png
226KB, 280x360px
Why are Sony IPs so bad?

Why do they usually abandon them in one generation?
>>
Because they usually follow trends and fads, which is why Horizon and TLOU look like bowls of stolten ideas.
Meanwhile, whenever they make something actually interesting, it's either niche or forgotten.
>>
because unlike nintendo and nintenbros, Sony is always setting the bar higher for Sonybros, who yes, have better taste in vidya.
>>
>>378233295
>which is why Horizon and TLOU look like bowls of stolten ideas
The thing that really bothers me about TLOU is that everyone praises it for the story and writing and cinematic it all is, but if it came out as a film, everyone would call it generic.

I really wish the industry would stop being controlled by a bunch of wanna be directors.
>>
Why are Ops threads so bad?

Why do people usually abandon them in one post?
>>
>>378233418
It's not like you could convince casuals to have better taste
>>
>WAHHHHHH WHY DOESN'T REHASH THEIR IPS FOR DECADES ;.;
>>
Ape Escape 4 when?
>>
>>378233669
>Crash 2 and 3 are just like 1
>Uncharted 3 and 4 are just like 2
>Killzone has never changed
>God of War has had zero real changes through out the entire franchise until the newest one
Sony is actually the king of rehashing. You're just too retarded to know what rehash means.
>>
>>378234491

You're not kidding they are.

Anyone remember when the Wii was coming out and at e3, sony saw the controller and put a sign in front of the shitty boomerang saying "Not final product"?

Classic. Playstation move obviously so innovative.
>>
>LittleBigPlanet is good
>Stick some literally who developer on the third one to rehash it again while the main developer makes a platformer for a dead handheld

ok
>>
>>378233152
Why can't Sony wrap their heads around multiplayer? They have yet to have one good multiplayer exclusive.
>>
>>378234630
At least that game had a lot of new content, which, funny enough, most of it brought problems to the overall game.
>>
>>378234695
multiplayer is for retards
>>
Does anyone play that Super Smash Brothers clone that sony made? I don't even remember its name but I remember it had like...20 characters of which I knew maybe three. What the fuck was that? Is it still a thing?
>>
>>378234892
Fuck off, anon.
>>
>>378234778
It really gives off the impression that Sony just wants to make money of the series with little effort. I personally would own a PS4 today if it was a new LBP from the ground up. I don't care about all those old levels you could never find anyway being compatible.
>>
>>378234930
Not sure what is your definition of "still a thing", but there's Spikat.
>>
>>378234930
>Sony makes a blatant Smash rip off
>its full of literally who's
>can't even get Lara Croft or Crash in it
>meanwhile Smash gets Snake and Cloud
I love it.
>>
>Remake Medievil for PSP
>Call it Medievil: Resurrection
>It kills the series
wew
>>
>>378233152
Same reason that No Man's Sky sucked. More effort is put into advertising than developing worthwhile first party games.
>>
>>378234987

I guess I mean: Is there still a community for it? Does anyone give a shit about it? did it take off?
>>
>>378233152
God of war, uncharted, tlou, kill zone, infamous, little big planet, kingdom hearts (not spinoffs aka best in the series), twisted metal and I'm sure others I can't think of have all transcended beyond one generation. Some of them are going to have future installments!
>>
>>378233418
If that's the case, why am I so much more captivated by TLOU than a generic apocalypse movie? Riddle me that fag
>>
>>378233152
Sony IPs aren't inherently bad. They're badly managed though.

Patapon, Gravity Rush, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Ape Escape, Medievil, Ratchet and Clank, and Siren are all good games that either had bad entries or are discontinued for the time being.
>>
>>378235834
Ur gay
>>
>>378233152
Why put effort into your first party projects when you have massive amounts of third party support? Their consoles have always been third party boxes. Looking forward to Spider-Man tho.
>>
>>378235834
Because what you're captivated by are the technical achievements of the game, which I have no problem saying are incredibly impressive.

The story does absolutely nothing that hasn't been done to death already.
>>
>>378235069
>get Dante
>it's the DmC: Devil May Cry version
>>
>>378236550
Fuck you
>>
>>378234930
Playstation Allstars: Battle Royal

And yes, it was an unending torrent of shit.
>>
>>378234491
>>378234597
>king of rehash
>lastest only a few years before they moved onto new IPs
>>
File: 1363393812417.jpg (97KB, 725x986px) Image search: [Google]
1363393812417.jpg
97KB, 725x986px
>>378236703
>>
>>378236850
I'm surprised Sony managed to live this one down.
>>
>>378236926
Rehashing is making a game really similar to the previous one, IE Megaman 4 - 6, or Uncharted 1 - 4, or all of the God of War games released to date.
>>
>>378233301
>makes shitty games
>i-its for us distinguished gamers with g-good taste
Sonniggers are pathetic
>>
>>378237029
The game had that many secret characters?
>>
>>378234892
this
>>
>>378237250
No, those are empty roster slots that they planned to fill with DLC
>>
>>378237124
Or mario for 30 years
>>
>>378237346
Mario games are far different in each installment than Sony games. The only rehashes are NSMBWii, 2, and Wii U.
>>
>>378234695
MLB The Show 17
>>
>>378237346
>64 plays like Galaxy
>Galaxy plays like 3D Land
>3D World plays like Odyssey
k
>>
>>378237839
>jump
>jump
>jump

Wow so different
>>
>>378237930
So Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Yoshi, and Ristar all play alike, then? Fucking Sony faggots. They're what's ruining the industry.
>>
>>378237930
>shoot
>shoot
>shoot
All shooting games are rehashes
>punch
>punch
>punch
All fighting games are rehashes.
That's how you sound.
>>
>>378237313

What does the full roster look like?
>>
>>378238672
No one knows, because the people who own the game won't tell us.
>>
As far as Naughty Dog goes- they usually abandon IPs in one gen just because that's what they like to do- they'd rather move on to something else than just milk the same thing over and over. Sony's smart enough to let the goose that lays the golden egg do their thing rather than demand more Jak or Uncharted sequels forever and also realizes that the IPs don't have all that much value without the Naughty Dog name (which is why we've seen a relatively small number of B-team spinoffs of ND properties.)
>>
>>378238063
Yes they do are you stupid
>>
>>378238872
And this is why Sony fans should be banned from this board. For the sake of everyone else's sanity.
>>
>>378239114
Not a argument, you ninten yearolds consider uncharted 4 a rehash even though it has driving mechanics and rope swing mechanics
>>
>>378234597

Wait. Is this a nintendo fan saying sony is the king of rehash? Oh the irony...

Sony tries to get new IP's every gen.
Nintendo, while I love some of their IPs, rehash them forever.

Unless you want to focus on hardware, which seems stupid, even then Nintendo is pretty much only innovates in terms of useless gimmicks. The are best when not "innovating", for example N64, GC. The only exception is the 3DS but I guess that was not innovation but an improvement of an old system (the first DS was pretty badà).
>>
>>378234695

what about exclusive fighting games?

If you mean shooters, those are best on PC (multiplayer shooters at least). If you mean racing games, they usually have them. If you mean local multiplayer, they always have tons. If you mean moba, fuck off.
>>
>>378239341

I actually haven't played a Nintendo console since the gamecube because I don't enjoy Mario or anything like that anymore, I mostly play roguelikes. But Sony steals shit all the goddamn time from other companies, let's be real here
>>
>>378239656
>let's be real here

Yeah, let's. Sony doesn't borrow, or in your words 'steal', from others any more than any other big company.
>>
>>378233418
>if it came out as a film, everyone would call it generic.
you're seriously overestimating film
>>
>>378240228

But I can't think of anything that another company has actually taken from Sony. Maybe I'm just ignorant here but I can name a good amount that Sony's ripped off. What's been "borrowed", to use your words, from them?
>>
>>378240935

First of all, how are you using 'sony'? they are not developers. and they also don't even publish most games. you don't hear people making these complaints about microsoft, because it's clear its silly, but people do try with sony because of its relative succes.

Second of all, if you can't recognize that sony has had influential IPs in their own right, and in the meanwhile don't give examples of what sony has 'stolen'. Sometimes things are popular and different companies make similar games. "Sony", as a publisher doesn't rip off anyone and can't rip off anyone, they don't even really make games. Every game is borrowed and descended and influenced by others, and most games are on different platforms so it's weird to say X 'stole' from X when discussing publishers.

It's not clear to me, in what way does Sony 'steal' a lot from other companies? Do other companies (microsoft, nintendo) keep inventing the wheel while sony steals? I don't see how sony steals more than others.
>>
>>378241758

I think the problem is, that he sees every game on a sony system as belonging to one group, making it seem like there's more rehashes and borrowing, while he looks at every PC game as separate.
>>
>why don't sony keep milking the same franchises for 2-3 decades?

this is supposed to be a bad thing?
>>
>when sony tries new things it means its older games were bad and abandoned
>when they make sequels they're rehashing

make up your mind. this board is chock full of pathetic resentment. playstation is of all platforms overall doing the best in terms of exclusivity, which is why it gets so much flock.
>>
>Sony has the best Car Combat game series of all time.
>They constantly abuse it
Loving Twisted Metal hurts. The PS4 could be the first Sony home console to not get a Twisted Metal game.
>>
>>378234930
man that game was so fucking bad
>>
>>378236108
Said games don't sell that's why. Gravity Rush 2 only sold like 100K copies
>>
>>378242731
>playstation is of all platforms overall doing the best in terms of exclusivity,
Persona 5 (kind of)
Bloodborne

That's about it among the games worth playing.
>>
>>378238742
I own it. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, though it's not nearly as good as Smash.

It's that picture, but all the question marks are removed except for one (random).
>>
>>378242931
tfw enjoyed TM in PS3 but the game wasn't complete
>>
>>378236108
Ape Escape is a good example of poor management, which is partially why it's referred as "Sony's own Silent Hill"
>>
>>378244389
TM PS3 felt good, but the story mode was lackluster and had a weird difficulty curve, and the servers for online were awful and killed the game in a week.

The game probably needed more time. Or a better focus.
>>
>>378243734
>Persona 5
PS3 game.
>>
>>378233295
>Niche or forgotten
FUCKING WARHAWK THEY ABANDONED THE SERIES AFTER TWO GAMES FUCK THEM
>>
>>378235834
Shit taste.

You have to go back >>r/eddit.com
>>
File: 1494686845527.gif (606KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1494686845527.gif
606KB, 256x192px
>>378245297
Fuck Warhawks was fun.
>>
File: 1396216473.png (359KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1396216473.png
359KB, 640x480px
Would you really want modern ND making Jak games? Modern Santa Monica making the new God of War is giving you a glimpse of what that would look like
Honestly I prefer devs just making new games instead of running a series into the ground, like Keiichiro Toyama going from Siren to Gravity Rush and Sucker Punch going from Sly Cooper to Infamous instead of a company having to constantly rely on an IP like Microsoft does with Halo and Forza and Nintendo does with Mario and Zelda
>>
>>378246382
If their new games were actually better, sure. Sadly the Jak games and the Sly Cooper games were way better than Uncharted and Infamous, and yet those are the games we're stuck with now.
>>
>>378234695
Warhawk on PS3 was fantastic.
Then they made Starhawk which was nothing like it and not very fun.
>>
>>378243734

I know/like only these therefore this is all the platform has to offer. Some JRPG and fighting games come to PC, while pretty much all good PC games come to PS4. Mount & Blade? On PS4. Bannerlord? Coming to PS4. CRPG? All of them on PS4.

Games like Yakuza 0, P5 and Bloodborne are reason alone to have a playstation. That's not including good games like Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bandicoot, the best place to play fighting games and JRPG. Indyshit? PS4 also got you covered. Meanwhile, Xbone has literally nothing, and Switch has 1 game. The value of a good PC can't be disputed (as opposed to Switch/Wiiu/Xbone) But then again, I'm curious, what does PC have this gen that has come out to PC only and proven to be a 'must have'?
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.