[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I always hear how N64 emulation is so bad. But if that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 40078-Paper_Mario_(USA)-14.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
40078-Paper_Mario_(USA)-14.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
I always hear how N64 emulation is so bad. But if that's true, then why can the Wii/Wii U Virtual Console emulate N64 games perfectly?
>>
>>378189898
Probably because Nintendo has the source code to the console and can use it in the emulator. Emulators aren't allowed to directly use the source code of the original console.
>>
N64 emulation isn't great because the PC emulator developers haven't reverse engineered the console fully and have to use a lot of workarounds and cut corners

This doesn't apply to an emulator made by the company that originally made the console in the first place, as they most likely still have documentation regarding the hardware and software of the system, or even source code, lying around somewhere

I'm not sure that you really understand how emulators work if you even have to ask this question
>>
Because Nintendo has access to the documentation on the parts etc. and how they work.

PC emulator developers have to rely on leaks or reverse engineering.
>>
>>378189898
N64 emulation isn't perfect on the Wii, especially not on the Wii U.
>>
>>378189898
Wii U Virtual Console isn't perfect at all. The noticeable input lag on DK64 on Wii U proves that much.
>>
Is there any reason in particular why it's the N64 that's so bad and not other consoles too?
>>
>>378190664
Odd system design and the fact that the emulators we have right now have a bad base since they were made for PCs back in the late 90s/early 00s meaning they relied on a lot of hacks to get games working.

CEN64 is looking to change this but it's a long way off.
>>
>>378190148
>>378190346
>>378190460
These you also have to take into account that in most cases these games use an emulator custom tailored for each individual game not a general purpose emulator that is intended for use with the entire library.
>>
>>378190664
Accurate N64 emulation would have been impossible on late 90s/ early 2000s machines, so they used high level emulation for the graphics and it has mixed results. Since emulating the CPU and GPU for the N64 would have required way more processing power than those PC's possessed. Nobody has bothered to make an accurate one even though modern computers could do it since it would be a ton of effort for basically nothing.
>>
>>378191005
I find it ironic that many N64 games actually emulate better on Dolphin using the VC versions. I was playing Mario Party 2 recently over netplay and had a lot of graphical glitches but had no such problem running the VC version in Dolphin.

The fact emulating and emulation is better than trying to emulate through PJ64 really says a lot about how much of a mess N64 emulation is.
>>
>>378189898
Project64 is pretty much abandonware at this point. Even the best plugin can't save you since PJ64 is so fundamentally broken it still can't emulate Pokemon Snap properly.
>>
>>378191325
Nothing compared to emulating a Sega Genesis tho
>>
>>378189898
>perfectly
>>
>>378191502
Is Genesis emulation that bad? I haven't done much of it in years but never remember having any significant issues.
>>
>>378191776
works fine for me. CD and 32X are a different story.
>>
>>378191963
>CD and 32X
Ah that explains it then there's only a few I would want to emulate on those anyway.
>>
>I always hear how N64 emulation is so bad
it is.
>why can the Wii/Wii U Virtual Console emulate N64 games perfectly?
The only way to emulate the game you posted is by emulating a wii that emulates it.
>>
>>378191963
>CD and 32X are a different story.
Why? I've played some CD games and they seemed fine.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.