[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does GGG struggle so hard to balance player defenses? Either

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: ogimage.png (593KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ogimage.png
593KB, 800x800px
Why does GGG struggle so hard to balance player defenses?
Either people are forced to spend half their points on life nodes to survive the absurd one-shot mechanics (Malachai and Izaro come to mind) or they manage to stack so much defenses that they can just disregard all mechanics entirely (the current state of ES builds)
It's like there's no middle-ground.
>>
>>378176130
stay on /vg/
>>
>>378176130
the playerbase is autistic and WILL find a way to break the game no matter what they do
>>
>>378176130
fuck off this game went to shit after 1.3
casual trash
>>
>>378176130
>have so much ehp regen they can disregard everything

yea everything that doesn't matter at the cost of clear speed the only thing that does matter.
>>
>want to pick it up again
>download it, didn't get around to playing it
>new update today
>steam says it's at 13.9 MB / 13.9 MB
>still another 30 minutes to go
>slows down everything, can't do any vidya while waiting
Is this a virus?
>>
>>378176130

I feel like that is just what happens when power creep hits a certain point.

>>378176423

Then there is this whole mindset. I mean, I get it - the faster you clear content the faster you get your drops. But players almost always put a huge emphasis/preference on dealing damage and plowing through shit as quickly as possible in almost every game I hear people discussing builds about. Dragons Dogma? Level nothing but assassin/sorcerer because they have the highest physical/magical attack growth. Nioh? All about maximizing damage. PoE? Gotta shit damage all over the whole screen and nothing else matters. MMO? Everyone is playing a damage class.

It's boring and I hate it, but that is what seems to be the most common.
>>
>>378176828
you're missing something there. in mmos, dragons dogma or nioh, you minmax but you actually play the game while doing so. For poe, you might as well play fucking cookie clicker.
>>
>>378176828
>why do people that play games built around gaining stats to become powerful optimize their gameplay to become powerful, instead of banging away with a noodle using the incredibly sophisticated combat system of press a button to use a skill against a terrible ai opponent
really activates my almonds
>>
>>378176828
They can afford to do that because newer RPGs are all action games that let you avoid damage by just moving out of the way. Older RPGs like Ragnarok don't give you the option to avoid damage, it has to be mitigated.
>>
>>378176130
The mostly need to increase the HP gain from HP nodes (or increase how much gear can give), and give some more variety for buffs/debuff that can address defense globaly and not be stuck for one specific use that makes it useless.
>>
>>378176130
How would you balance it?

It's literally not possible to balance an ARPG properly at end game. You're either god mode with fast clear or get instagibbed, it's the only way to cause death because any other mechanic will be quickly mitigated.

PoE actually did one thing well, and that's lab where you can die from traps if you're bad and it's the only non instagib death you can get.
>>
>>378177306
>Made an RF LL guardian
>Can literally just walk through the labyrinth without paying attention to anything
Too bad I still hate farming it
>>
>>378176814
no, all the game data is in 1 archive so to update it has to repackage it from scratch
>>
>>378177306
You could cut most of the player defense modifiers and standardize player defense numbers across the board, then balance enemies around those standard numbers, but I guess then it wouldn't be an RPG anymore.
>>
>>378176828
Except when you're playing in hardcore. Gameplay slows down and you really have to focus on survival over damage.
>>
Just came here to post that I can't see GGG anymore without thinking German goo girls.
>>
File: 1493516247867.png (123KB, 300x407px) Image search: [Google]
1493516247867.png
123KB, 300x407px
>>378177613
So I should just reinstall it, right?
>>
>>378178035
if you have problems maybe

the actual download of the game is only like 7 gigs and unpacks to 14
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.