[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So a question...what if steam shut down tomorrow? Meaning all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: it's time.jpg (48KB, 541x673px) Image search: [Google]
it's time.jpg
48KB, 541x673px
So a question...what if steam shut down tomorrow? Meaning all services relating to steam (online play, card trading, etc) was no longer able to be used? The steam app and desktop icon would crash upon being clicked on or attempted to be opened. All games you currently had on installed on your computer would not open, any accessories that was steam related would not work like the steam controller or the hard drive.

How would the internet react? How would it affect gaming as a whole if it had any impact at all in you guys opinion? I guess an add on would be that any game you had less than 2 hours playtime in, no matter when you purchased it, would be refunded within 72 hours within the shutdown.
>>
>>378170672
I'd "lose" almost 800 games, and not really give a shit because I don't care about playing more than a select 2-3 games anyway. I'd probably even welcome the change and go back to the good old days of pirating instead of wasting away money on games I only try for ten minutes then lose interest.
>>
I couldn't care less. I have about 20 games in total on Steam, all of which I can pirate at any time.

I have one autismal "friend" that I talk to sometimes, and I would just contact him trough something else like IRC.

I would laugh my ass off at all the retarded Steambronies that bought 500+ games (licenses) for full price and actually invested money into e-pixels and trash like the Steam controller. PC would be better off as a platform aswell.
>>
>>378170930
Well now there's you're just plain wrong. If Steam shut down tomorrow just like that, it would pretty much be the end of the PC platform for at least months ahead. Shit companies like EA with Origin would make an attempt to take over somehow, and we all know how trash they are, so it could even be the permanent death of PC gaming. Sort of like what people started fearing before Steam came about.
>>
>>378170672

People would lose their shit if they suddenly lost access to the games they paid money for. Think of all those hatfags who have $100,000 worth of virtual items.
>>
>>378171136
Valve wouldn't need to care at all. It's in their TOS and all. We've all agreed to not allow ourselves to even complain when we created our accounts in the first place.
>>
>>378171069
>Shit companies like EA with Origin would make an attempt to take over somehow

I think Humble would try. They're actually pretty successful with their store.
>>
>>378170672
at first everyone would refer to the dev saying that if steam self destructs that all the games would be available to download unless valve headquarters was a crater or something
>>
>>378170672
>He doesn't know about the insurance
low energy bait.
>>
>>378170913
Are there any beginners guides to pirating?
>>
>>378171236
>Valve wouldn't need to care at all.

They would care about all that lost virtual item revenue. Which is why Steam will never shut itself down and only shut down from some other force.
>>
>>378171286
Don't almost all Humble games go through Steam?

>>378171432
TPB
>>
>>378171432
Use Deluge, use any proxy, use TPB or RARBG, GG. For older shit Emuparadise is easier.
>>
>>378170672

It would suck, but it's not going to happen overnight, unless there's some kind of ridiculous catastrophe, like all of Valve's servers and backup servers being hacked simultaneously. If Valve were simply going out of business, some other company would buy Steam (and probably run it even further into the ground but that's neither here nor there).

If Steam were actually going to vanish, publishers which still exist would likely allow Steam copies of their games to be transferred to another service, if another service exists and if people can somehow access their Steam keys. This has happened before, when other services disappeared.
>>
>>378170672
Someone would just release a crack that lets you play steam games so nothing lost there. Whales who spent thousands on virtual hats and knives will be furious though
>>
>>378171236

Class action suit the size of a mountain would weigh on them and judges shit on their TOS.
>>
>>378171474
>>378171546
>TBP
>Implying it's not FBI

Have fun in prison if your a Burger. If not a Burger, enjoy free games.
>>
I would just wait to join in on the inevitable lawsuit that would happen. While waiting I would get diagnosed with a mental disorder and sue Valve for emotional trauma.
>>
>>378171474
>Don't almost all Humble games go through Steam?

Yes, but I'm talking about in the event that Steam suddenly and irreversibly shut down.

There would be a void for digital distribution. They'd definitely try to distribute games themselves and not just keys. They already do this partially for indie/non-DRM games and books.
>>
PIRATES WIN AGAIN!

Seriously though... Why would you support a digital storefront that doesn't allow you to download a backup installer and have their games DRM free? Pirating games that you bought on Steam is the best way to insure you have a backup installation method for the future.
>>
>>378170672
>All games you currently had on installed on your computer would not open
Maybe 1/8th of the games I have installed wouldn't open.
Not every single game downloaded through Steam actually requires Steam to be up and running.

Also, I paid for them. I'd just "pirate" them whenever I wanted to play them again.

Also also, the internet would react by moving in droves to any other store.
>>
File: 1494568464838.png (507KB, 1036x915px) Image search: [Google]
1494568464838.png
507KB, 1036x915px
>>378170672
>"Can't connect to steam servers"
>"Do you wish to start in offline mode?"
>???
>profit!
>>
>>378171829
Gaben already said years ago that if Steam ever had to shut down, they'd make sure that everyone who had used the stores would at LEAST be able to continue downloading the games they'd bought indefinitely through other servers or whatnot, just that the community options, store, etc would be gone. It would just be a login for your list of games and a probably slow download speed, but you'd still have them.
Supposedly.
>>
>>378171945
People that say this have never used steam offline mode for an extended period of time. I was without internet for months at one point and Steam asked me to gain internet access out of the blue a few weeks in to authenticate my account. I was locked out of 2TB of video games cause I had no network connection.
>>
>>378171546
GG?
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 412x233px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 412x233px
>>378171829

Steam does have a backup feature, although I've never used it myself.

All I can say for sure is that some games require Steam to launch, while other games can be launched directly from the .exe file. This is almost certainly up to the publisher. Some publishers don't want to release DRM-free games, even when the platform allows it.

The requirement that Steam be running in order to play a Steam game is not a mandate from Valve (or, if it is, they're not very good at enforcing the requirement).
>>
>>378172036
That was a bug which volvo already fixed with the new client, they couldn't fix it with the old one because old client was so shit that trying to fix it would cause a lot of other issues.
>>
>>378171663
ToS are pretty iron clad. you can't just agree to something that's clearly stated then make a judge overturn it because of your hurt feelings and inability to use your brain
>>
>>378172361

You can do it pretty easily in places where judges put the LAW above corporate interest, murrikan-kun
Why do you think you have refunds now even though you "signed away" such rights in the TOS before?
>>
>>378170672
if steam were to somehow run out of money overnight their assets would be absorbed into origin and or uplay, simple as that. i dont why people make these threads every day like its some kind of world ending scenario.
>>
>>378172553
Because they changed the ToS to allow refunds on their own accord, they didn't need a judge to do that.

They could change the ToS to disallow refunds tomorrow and you'd be shit out of luck
>>
>>378170672
It would probably reopen within the day.
>>
File: 69696969.jpg (32KB, 195x200px) Image search: [Google]
69696969.jpg
32KB, 195x200px
>>378172697
>Because they changed the ToS to allow refunds on their own accord

Yeah, they just thought "hey why not lose a shitton of money even though we don't need to?"

God you uneducated murrikans are retarded, an EU court ruling forced Steam to make the change.
>>
>>378172697
They were forced to issue refunds by the aussies govt which they then implemented worldwide on their own accord
>>
It wouldn't make me go back to physical media if that was an option and also not make me pirate games, thats for sure.
>>
>>378172249
Yeah I've started to notice some older titles I own on Steam can be played without the client running. I'm still going to pirate all the games that I liked the most from my Steam collection just to be safe.

>>378172263
Well them fixing this bug doesn't change what I experienced before in the past. I learned my lesson with DRM clients. I'll be 100% prepared next time I may be without internet access for extended periods of time.
>>
>>378170672
gabe newell is worth about six hundred million dollars more than donald trump
>>
>>378172249
Im pretty sure you still have to log in to verify your license to play the games when you back it up that way
>>
I lose nothing, as I pirate everything I own.
>>
>>378170672
Meh. wouldn't really care. Would kinda hate it because of the money invested.

But I'm a console gamer at heart. the PS4 and Switch would tide me over just fine.
>>
>>378172003

People post this claim all the time without providing a source.

The only source I've ever seen was a brief and vague comment posted on a forum by some Steam moderator, which did not contain most of the details you just described.
>>
I would sail the seas matey.
>>
>>378173106
The EULA states the opposite of what that Steam "moderator" said. It wasn't a moderater, someone was asking the support back then and made screenshot.

C. Termination by Valve
Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time in the event that (a) Valve ceases providing such Subscriptions to similarly situated Subscribers generally, or
>>
>>378172361
>ToS are pretty iron clad.
lol no
>>
Most games work without steam. Other's would be patched by devs. we'd just crack the rest.
>>
>>378171546
>use any proxy
Awful advice, do a bit of research into VPNs and proxies before signing up to a 200kbps honeypot.
>>
>>378173737
This. Do people think DRM can just last forever? It needs to constantly be updated or else it won't work because people will crack it. So the contrary is true. If steam goes it's drm will go with it. Unless they delete all of your game data while going but that would just be stupid.
>>
File: Download (1).jpg (4KB, 233x216px) Image search: [Google]
Download (1).jpg
4KB, 233x216px
I wouldn't worry to much. Even if they go up in flames tommorow it's only around 400 bucks I lose that I put into Steam over the timespawn of like 10+ years.

I pity all those losers who bought thousands of games though or should I say subscriptions. If you are a collector or put a lot of money into games then you should have stuck with GoG.
>>
>>378173418
>It wasn't a moderater, someone was asking the support back then and made screenshot.

That sounds right. It was only a screenshot that I had seen, and I wasn't even sure if it was real in the first place.

But it's all the same. One guy, probably working for a generic tech support company in India, makes a flimsy claim contradicted by all other evidence, and then everyone spreads it around as if it's fact, due to wishful thinking.
>>
File: 1482844495481.gif (4MB, 387x283px) Image search: [Google]
1482844495481.gif
4MB, 387x283px
>>378170672
NOOO! MY STEAM SHEKELS AND VIRTUAL ITEMS. I JUST HIT 1K BUY ORDERS LAST WEEK ITS NOT FAIR.
>>
>>378174213
good goy
>>
File: 4sa1Ln6.jpg (47KB, 909x173px) Image search: [Google]
4sa1Ln6.jpg
47KB, 909x173px
>>378174034
The thing is, Steam doesn't own the games, they are just a retailer that also provides services. I don't think they have the legal power to make the games available to everyone.
>>
Steam isn't likely to shut down any time soon.
It might be shut out of your computer though if you're running Windows 10.

So what you should expect to see is a message pop up on your computer when you attempt to install/run Steam tellilng you that only software from the Windows Store is allowed to run on your system without a $50 extra fee (that value could change in the future, or be removed)
When that happens your options are to bend over and hope that Microsoft doesn't add any additional restrictions to your system in the future, or install a GNU/Linux based operating system. If your hardware is old enough and its before 2020 Windows 7 might still be an option for you, though that's not a good long-term option.
Once you've installed your new OS the message should no longer appear and you should be able to install and run Steam, and games purchased from Steam normally.
Be aware that currently only about 1/4 of all the games on Steam have versions for OSes other than Windows. Be sure to look for the SteamOS logo when you buy games.
Games that are Windows-only may not be available in the future.
>>
>>378176321
Isn't that on a specific dumbed down version of Windows or something as opposed to a 'feature' from a future update?
>>
>>378170672
I honestly want to see how it will work after Gaben dies, that is when the whole thing will start to unravel because people will let their greed go rampant,not saying that fat fuck isn't a jew already though, that is when you should start to worry about the service going down
>>
>>378173825
>signing up
just grab a free foreign one nigger
>>
>>378174727
>I don't think they have the legal power to make the games available to everyone.
GOG says hi. Their DRM is entirely their choice, they can disable it at any time.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.