[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't Dragon Quest ever been as popular as Final

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

Why hasn't Dragon Quest ever been as popular as Final Fantasy in Eagleland?
>>
Because FFVII is the sole reason FF got so hype.
>>
>>378120039
No marketing
No nostalgia
>>
Too much grinding.
>>
>>378120039
Here bro, here's your controller
>>
Because to us it looks like they ripped of Dragonball Z's character design.
>>
Why would you play an ugly, turn based games when better looking, more engrossing experiences like CoD are available
>>
>>378120091
ff4/6 were huge
>>
>>378120381

Not nearly as huge as VII.
>>
>>378120293
Akira toriyama designed the characters for dragon quest....
>>
>>378120039
I want the new slime controller. I also want the metal slime N2DS and the Roto PS4.
Lord help me.
>>
>>378120039
I think FF captivates a wider audience.
Dragon Warrior seems to be for a younger audience.

I know that because I played Dragon Quest Monsters recently and it was very much catered towards younger teens and kids.

not bad at all though, cute game.
>>
>>378120474
Does the average gamer know or care?
>>
>>378120293
This. Artstyle has always put me off the game, even though it's still Toriyama, he's a hack since that's all he can draw.
>>
>>378120039
I can say nothing for others but I got Dragon Quest 7 and it took 2 whole hours for anything to happen. It was just running back and fourth over and over for two lines of dialog before its time to run to another place for two more lines of dialog. It just killed my motivation to play it
>>
>>378120547
I guess so. Im an average gamer and i knew.
>>
>>378120721
You aren't, you pay above average attention to video games. You follow news developments and you know who creates certain games.
>>
>>378120039
Simply because it was a far more seminal work in Japan than it was in the west. Real question would be why did the JRPGs take off in the west?
>>
>>378120789
No, i just used google.
>>
Because FF is more edgy, and DQ is more fun
>>
>>378120940
Then you have just become more informed than the average gamer. Congratulations.
>>
>>378120039
Square teamed up with EA in the 90s to help localize Final Fantasy games. Enix was doing it on its own and they were not very good at it.
>>
>>378120882
Probably because they were the only game in town at a point, unless you were a grognard who played might and magic or elder scrolls arena.
>>
>>378121040
No, just more informed than you.
>>
>>378120293
Hey look, they ripped off Chrono Nigger haha
>>
>>378120497
Exact opposite, at least for the mainline series. Dragon Quest has intentionally never evolved or made any great changes to its formula since the 80s. It appeals to an older nostalgic fanbase who wants a very traditional jrpg experience.
>>
I tried FF 7 or something, it was on the GBA and I was pretty bored dropped it like 30 mins in.
Played Dragon Quest VII and it was pretty engrossing however. I heard the other Dragon Quest games aren't like that however though.
>>
File: 1-Kain_Chapter.png (1MB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
1-Kain_Chapter.png
1MB, 700x800px
All of the Dragon Quest characters are retarded children & the American game playing audience never wanted some wish fulfillment nonsense like "omg the children are the heroes!".
People liked FF4 because Cecil was a big fucking Batman Knight with a cool sword and he hit shit with it because he was the Captain of fucking airships.
People liked Sabin and Shadow because they were big strong dudes who didn't take shit from people and were cool adults.

People wanted to play videogames where they had cool characters that had cool powers that they wish they could emulate.
Cloud was cool because he had a big fuck-off sword and a girl talked to him, he had adult problems and did adult things.

Its why FFXII has such a split audience, people who are trying to enjoy Matsuo's story and filtering out all the little kids running around shitting in their ancient fantasy drama.
Its why a lot of Final Fantasy games now are just sort of throw away garbage that no one really cares about, its always some tweeny faggot kid whose entirely interchangeable with some high school drama protagonist.

FF4 vs FF4: The After Years etc
>>
>>378121836
>All of the Dragon Quest characters are retarded children & the American game playing audience never wanted some wish fulfillment nonsense like "omg the children are the heroes!".

This is more true than people realize because heroes in western RPGs were more likely than not harden adventurers doing it as a profession. That's the impression you got from Wizardry, M&M and not to mention D&D as a whole. Ultima itself was an exception in how it handled the story premise.
>>
>>378121836
>we want the "mature games for mature gamers such as myself" audience
>>
>>378120373
Why would you play an ugly, turn based game when better looking, more engrossing turn based games?
>>
File: so its come to this.jpg (237KB, 1912x1080px) Image search: [Google]
so its come to this.jpg
237KB, 1912x1080px
>>378121836
>Its why a lot of Final Fantasy games now are just sort of throw away garbage that no one really cares about, its always some tweeny faggot kid whose entirely interchangeable with some high school drama protagonist.

Ain't that the truth.
>>
File: 1421122785903.jpg (137KB, 750x700px) Image search: [Google]
1421122785903.jpg
137KB, 750x700px
>>378122178
I meant 1990's children

Weebism is a disease.
Anyone who plays this now is either a woman or a guy trying really hard to fuck that woman
>>
>>378121836
>American game playing audience never wanted some wish fulfillment nonsense like "omg the children are the heroes!"
Yeah I think you nailed it. People like >>378122071 could meme all they want but most western people don't find that appealing unless they're also kids. The most mainstream example of people liking that is Persona and even then it only gets away with it because those characters are closer to becoming adults than being kids.
>>
>>378120039
>just fondle my balls, senpai
>>
Toriyama, and inflexible, never changing RPG conventions.
>>
Americans don't appreciate nuance.
Americans need everything to be extreme.
>>
File: 1492778748772.png (471KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492778748772.png
471KB, 620x400px
>>378120039
I remember when Dragon Quest VIII was announced and young me thought it looked like the most amazing game ever. Got my mum to pre-order it and it was meant to come with one of these controllers. I remember being crushed when it arrived without it.

The game definitely lived up to expectations though. It blew my young mind.
>>
>>378122927
>cousin bought DQVIII over
>completely disregarded it
>bother to play it a few years later
I don't know why I disregarded it so long ago but I deeply regret not getting into the series sooner.
>>
>>378122570
agreed bro. stupid americans don't understand simplified clones of western dnd games like wizardry and ultima because they aren't intelligent enough unlike myself. only glorious nippon truly understands depth. hardcore games like dragon quest, smt, and romancing saga only please.
>>
Should I pick up DQ Heroes 1 or skip it and get 2?
>>
>>378123225
It's not a totally rubbish game but some of the missions are a bit jarring. I'd say grab it because it's probably super cheap, otherwise it probably wouldn't hurt to jump straight into 2.
>>
>>378123225

I'd recommend DQHI only if you have a huge love for DQ as a whole. Otherwise, the gameplay is pretty meh when it narrow down to defending retard NPC or root post-end game.

Get it when it hits $20.
>>
File: Breath-of-Fire-III-PSP.jpg (297KB, 1118x662px) Image search: [Google]
Breath-of-Fire-III-PSP.jpg
297KB, 1118x662px
>>378122339
Yes, and I think it was mostly a problem of appeal.

Consider the Breath of Fire series that held similar fame to Final Fantasy at the time and is still held in high esteem. You start out in BoF 3 as a young inexperienced child who is almost completely useless compared to Teepo, who is confident, and Rei who is much more mature and capable, and you're not let alone until Ryu learns to swing his sword without being a coward who can't even look at what he's swinging at.
The cover art is even has a resemblance with a lot of Rock album covers at the time, a black cover with flames and a sword on front. It even promised to let you do something that other RPGs don't really ever do: Transform into a Dragon.

Shit was just cool, even if you didn't think Ryu was cool at first he still becomes cool, and meanwhile he has a really cool power that you wish you had.

I think at the same time Dragon Quest had a very anime cover, which wasn't entirely in vogue yet. The main character looks kind of nervous, the gameplay on the back doesn't promise anything beyond the conventional.
And you can do anime covers and silly cartoon character bullshit; but at some point you need an in to get recognizable. Like FF5 was a goofy story about randoms hit happening but it found an american audience retroactively because it was introduced by other titles and had something unique that other games, even other FF's, didn't have at the time.
>>
>people complaining about Akira Toriyama's artwork for the franchise
>he has unique monster designs that have become a staple to the series and Chrono Trigger

His character art could use some work, you can easily make a templet of hair, eyes, and mouths for all of them.
>>
It's because they're just average JRPGs. That's all.
>>
>>378123791
I think when you look at the first Dragon Quest or as they called it here, Dragon Warrior, it has room to appeal to western tastes. It focused on a sole character who's age isn't stated if I remember correctly. The fact that you had no party definitely gave the game that "cool" factor that kids needed around that time to like something. But for some reason they just weren't made like that anymore after a while. As technology got better DQ became more and more anime looking and because of that, unfairly criticized for looking childish. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think I hate new Dragon Quest. But while it appears as an all ages game that adults and children can enjoy in Japan, lots of people outside of Japan see a cartoon style and just think that's for kids. It's difficult to explain how that happened but it just goes to show how different Japanese and western tastes are. All ages things in Japan tend to truly be appealing to all ages while all ages here just means it's a movie with jokes your kid won't get but you will.
>>
What are the odds of more Monsters or Rocket Slime games ever being localized
>>
>>378124569
> unique monster designs
Nah a lot of them blend together like DQ Skeletons and Red Ribbon robots, dinosaurs of all kinds, little impy men and so on.
>>
>>378124569
Toonbery or Cactuars are unique designs not the generic Wizardy slime recolors that DQ tries to pass as original designs
>>
File: 2952721-09.jpg (131KB, 896x1280px) Image search: [Google]
2952721-09.jpg
131KB, 896x1280px
>>378120562

>Based Toriyama
>a "hack"

If anything they should've played the Toriyama card, since DBZ has always been popular in the west, even with the biggest normies.
>>
>>378126858
What the fuck was Tien's problem?
>>
>>378128027

He was kind of an asshole, and indoctrinated by his master. It's not a strange thing to be influenced greatly by your fatherfigure/mentor.
>>
File: vol01.png (229KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
vol01.png
229KB, 600x400px
>>378129163
>>378128027

Most characters in DB start out as assholes. Yamcha and Puar were fucking desert thieves, Bulma was an obvious spoiled and selfish cunt, Muten Roshi was a good person but a cheeky pervert and the kind of person who cheats in every aspect of life, Krillin was a selfish asshole and a cheater, Oolon was a sex pervert and a kidnapper and terrorized a village, Bulma's dad killed anyone who came close to his castle, ...

Literally only Goku started out as pure, all other were either neutral at best and usually pretty bad.
>>
>>378129482
>Literally only Goku started out as pure
Luckily Z fixed that by starting him out as evil until he got dropped on his head.
>>
>>378129960
Luckily Bardock's special and Dragon Ball Super fixed that by making the Saiyans an innocent race of warriors that were forced to kill because of Frieza
>>
>>378120039
Not stylish enough. We don't like traditional shit here.
>>
>>378130803
they literally say bardock was unique and that saiyans were a babarian warrior race that didn't give a fuck about anyone.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.