[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm going to play through the original Final Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled.png (133KB, 1171x897px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
133KB, 1171x897px
So I'm going to play through the original Final Fantasy for the NES. What can I expect? I remember trying to play this a couple of years ago but getting stuck early on. Apparently you were supposed to grind low-level monsters for a while which never occurred to me. Will I need a strategy guide to get through it considering its age, or does it explain itself well?
>>
>>378080002
>does it explain itself well?
No.

>Will I get lost?
Probably not. There are only a limited number of places you can get to at any one time.

>Will I need a strategy guide?
Depends on how stupid you are. If you insist on bulling yourself though areas, then yeah, you might need a strategy guide for tips like "buy the healing spell in town" and "kill ogres until you can afford the new swords".

You might want to look up which spells are bugged in the NES version. Some don't do what they mention, some don't work at all, and some buffs are actively detrimental to the caster. It won't matter much if you are just Fighter/Fighter/White Mage/Black Mage and just hack&blast your way through everything, but you'll be upset if you spend your few spell slots on a literally useless spell.
>>
>>378080685
What about shit like party setup? I accidentally spoiled myself and now I know there are "optimal" setups but I don't know what they are.

Also, should I just play the PS1 version instead?
>>
>>378080875
Play the PSP version, it's literally the best version
>>
>>378080875
>Also, should I just play the PS1 version instead?
I'm old af, and I played and beat the first one when it came out for NES. I just played and beat the PSP/Android version this past year. I don't see any reason for anyone to bother with the original anymore, the slight update is nice.
>>
>>378080875
I'm not all that familiar with the different versions of FF1. As far as I know, all the versions past the NES fixed the largest and most problematic bugs. Apparently, the PS1 version where attacks towards dead enemies instead go after live targets, and it lets you overwrite spells you've learned. Mostly quality-of-life changes. Also included an easy mode option.

GBA and PSP versions included a change where you didn't use spell slots for magic, and instead used a standard MP pool. This tended to change magic quite a bit, making it a lot easier since you ended up with the ability to cast any one spell a lot more than you would with the old system. PSP version probably has the most content and best look out of all the versions, though.
>>
>>378080002
NES version is a little too broken, play a different version.

Don't pick thief, ever.
>>
>>378080875
BALS
TO
THE
WAL
>>
>>378080002
Just don't fuck up your party composition and you'll be fine. Avoid thief and red mage. IIRC you shouldn't need to grind past that part you mention (pirates boss in second town).
>>
>>378080875
PS1 version is the best if you want to retain the old MP system, which I think is crucial to the game's design. The long and short of it is, play the PSP if you want zero challenge, play the PS1 if you enjoy being challenged via resource management.
>>
>>378080875
>What about shit like party setup?
Fighters equip (basically) all weapons and all armor. They can learn a few low-level white magic spells later in the game, not really practical for much other than healing outside combat.

Thieves are glitched in how running works, which makes them useless in the NES version. They're fairly pointless in other versions as well, due to how critical hits work. At higher levels they can learn a handful of low level black magic spells, which aren't as useful.

Black Belts/Monks deal a stupid amount of damage without weapons after a dozen levels or so, and are cheap to buy equipment for. They don't learn magic.

Red Mages are broken in the NES version due to casting spells as well as a White Mage or Black Mage. This bug isn't present in other versions. They learn white magic and black magic, and far better weapons/armor.
But they don't learn the best spells and have less spell slots, and characters can only learn three spells of each spell level... so they're limited that way. They make good backup fighter/mage.

White Mages get your best healing magic and HARM, which damages undead enemies. Some defensive buffs are very nice, assuming you want to devote the spell slot to learning them. They are the only ones who learn EXIT, which removes you from a dungeon completely.

Black Mages are your spell nukers. There are (very few) enemies which just play resist physical attacks, although they can be ran away from. Black Mages are far more common for hitting bosses with elemental weaknesses.

Magical equipment (like the Heal Staff) is something that anyone can use, and doesn't need to be equipped to do so. So using equipment for special effects doesn't require a specific job to use.
>>
So, just curious, has anyone ever made a rom-hack that fixes all of the unintentional mistakes of the NES version? Like making spells work how they're supposed to, elemental swords work, etc.
>>
>>378083536
That's basically the PS1 version, although the PS1 version apparently still has the Intelligence bug and Crit bug.
>>
>>378082095
>Avoid red mage
Why would you avoid the best class
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.