[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best language to start learning for someone who wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

What is the best language to start learning for someone who wants to make a game?
>>
>>378041403
English.
>>
>>378041403
Learn pure c#, then move to unity or construct.
>>
>>378041403
LISP
>>
>>378041403
scratch
>>
>>378041403
c++ if you want to make good games
c#, java, python or whatever if you don't care
>>
>>378041923
Can you expand on that? Why can't you make good games with those C#, Java, or python?
>>
Well practicing a shit ton of c# or java get me a job? Already have a STEM degree.
>>
Do you want to make a game or multiple games, like do you want to make games for a big company
If you would like to stay rather indie, so do aome kiddy script to get your head around it like GMS. Then move to unity or c#

If you want to work for a big company than go with c# or python than move to c++
>>378042116
Those Languages are too imprecise
>>
>>
>>378041403
whichever language your engine uses.
>>
>>378041403
Arabic, since then you could just tell one of those Saudi oil barons to buy your favorite game company and have them make the game for you
>>
Anyone else know source really well but can't learn anything else?

I used to make maps and mods for Half-Life 2 and it was fun, but as an adult I can't get myself to learn anything else
>>
>>378042116
Because he's meming.
Learn Python, it's a good beginner language and doesn't have a load of bullshit you have to ignore until you're more advanced like in Java and C#.
Use C++ if you want to challenge yourself (you probably don't want to). It's closer to the hardware like it's ancestor C which means you gotta deal with more things in order to get what you want. Bigger devs like it because they can squeeze better performance out of it, which they need in big games. You probably won't need that.
>>
File: 1494728983561.jpg (2MB, 2893x4092px) Image search: [Google]
1494728983561.jpg
2MB, 2893x4092px
>>378041403
What's the best code to learn for someone who wants to make some good cash?
>>
File: 1478121086574.png (164KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
1478121086574.png
164KB, 659x525px
How long before most programmers are replaced with people who can use things like phonegap/unity and will work for 1/2 the wages of a CS major?

Isn't phonegap already taking over when it comes to mobile apps for small-medium sized businesses?
>>
>>378043358

Any of the big ones, as large companies use them. You just have to be good enough for them to hire you.
>>
File: 1406657769930.jpg (38KB, 736x566px) Image search: [Google]
1406657769930.jpg
38KB, 736x566px
Hindi, because Indians take up a lot of STEM jobs
>>
>>378042503
So if I want money I just need Java?
Thanks
>>
>>378043862
Indians only take jobs over failures who got a CS degree doing the minimum amount of work needed and didn't actually learn anything. When companies ultimately realize what a poor job these outsourced workers did, they move to a domestic team of programmers.

t. Programmer hired after company realized their mistake in outsourcing in poo in loos
>>
>>378043862
Why is India such a shithole? It's full of violence, whereas poorer countries filled with east asians have next to no crime.
>>
Depends on what you want to make.
If you want to make serious and 3D stuff you should do C#. (Unity, Unreal etc.)
If you want to make serious 2D stuff you could also use C# or Lua. (Unity, Love2D)
If you want to make mobile shit most things revolve around Java and Lua. (Corona SDK)

If you are mentally disabled but you still want to make a game get Gamemaker and learn Gamescript.
>>
>>378044871
Forgot to mention, instead of Love2D which doesn't have a IDE which might make it more of an issue for large games, you could use Defold, also pretty good, although in BETA and stuff.
>>
>>378041403
no language. get game maker. pure drag and drop. coding is an outmoded way and will probably disappear altogether in the next 10 years. We are finally entering an age where designers are free to create the game they want without it being brought down by programmers.
>>
>>378041403
english
>>
>>378041403
Japanese, only the best games come from nippon land
>>
Learn visual basic as an introduction to coding. Or maybe even Javascript.

You can get the free edition of Visual Studio and follow some tutorials, it's a great language for wrapping your head around basic concepts. Then you can take those and apply them elsewhere.

Starting to code by making complex games is not smart. You could make stuff like space invaders easily though.
>>
>>378041403
game maker if you want to do 2d, unity if you want to do 3d, can't go wrong with either
>>
>>378045273

Not sure if good troll or complete retard
>>
>>378043348
>Because he's meming
>C++ if you want to challenge yourself
I started with C++ and always thought using other languages was the real challenge. It always seemed like extra effort to get something done in other languages, along with an inclusion of unexplainable glitches too. C++ always felt strait forward to me.
>>
>>378044871
you mean c++ right? you useless cunt
>>
JavaScript. Browser games are the future
>>
>>378046232
>browser games are the future as browsers are being slowly phased out
Kids 10 to 20 years from now may not even know what a browser is.
>>
k thanks guys, look forward to my game
>>
>>378045823
Yeah I meant C# thanks for correcting me. You magnificent ball of poop.
>>
>>378042191
Lol not in this day and age.
You're better off writing your own software and trying to sell that.
>>
>>378048030
So what gets you a job if not c# or java, moron?
>>
File: 1459441671017.jpg (6KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1459441671017.jpg
6KB, 238x192px
>>378048030
>12 year olds giving advice
>>
>>378048323
It'll give you the software equivalent of flipping burgers. Code monkeys are worthless, disposable trash.
>>
Do you need to know math to program?.
>>
>>378044370
Thanks you're a hit at parties
>>
>>378041403
Esperanto
>>
>>378041403
Assembly
>>
>>378041403
Don't, learn art instead. You can use visual programming in UE4 to make a shitload of stuff and you don't need to be a programmer. Programmers in gaming are going to be a niche thing soon, they'll be making and supporting the programs artists and designers use, but those programs will be as designer-friendly as possible, that's where things are going.
>>
>>378050618
Visual programming still requires programming knowledge. I know a few designers and those guys literally struggle with creating an object in a level or scene. Besides, bigger/better games need shittonns of real, manual c++ programming, not some bullshit drag and drop "programming" as convenient as it may seem.
>>
>>378049937

With games you might need some trigonometry and stuff for physics. In general, programming is very light on the math side. It's more about the complex thinking on how to solve problems step by step.
>>
You can make a game with literally anything, this just depends on you. If you want Unity then C#, if you want Game Maker then GML etc.
I fucking hate programming and gave up on game dev, but the furthest I got was with C# in Unity. The Unity documentation and Microsoft's C# documentation are really good
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.