[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm playing this game for the first time right now and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

File: Cotm-na.jpg (269KB, 1000x984px) Image search: [Google]
Cotm-na.jpg
269KB, 1000x984px
I'm playing this game for the first time right now and I'm about halfway through (maybe more)

I've played all the other Castlevania games post Sotn as a kid (other than this) so it feels a bit strange going back. I was told that THIS game in parituclar was the very best one other than classic Sotn and honestly

It's not that good of a game.

I like how the cards combo into unique abilities but there's a real massive amount of the castle with only a handful of bosses, so it's very easy to get lost.

I destroyed the iron maiden blocks so now I can access new areas, but it's hard to know where to go next unless you just take a lap around the entire castle multiple times (once per new ability).

Also the bosses don't drop hp refill items (as all the other ones did) so if you kill a boss at low hp you can be forced to redo it if you get wiped by a common shit head before you reach the save.

Also I can't remember a single music track and none of the asthetics are remakrable. Every proper exploration castlevania game had something amazing to look at other than this one.

I was dissapointed to find out it's underwhelming despite it being considered one of the best.

How well do (you) think this game stacks up compared to other exploration castlevania games?

Also we can discuss all castlevania games here if you want.
>>
File: 1494843381191.png (34KB, 1000x924px) Image search: [Google]
1494843381191.png
34KB, 1000x924px
Also here's a picture of a cute laughing smug anime girl since no one's gonna bother to read my wall of text OP

Castlevania Circle of the moon is overrated, yes or no?
>>
>>377983736
>Castlevania Circle of the moon is overrated, yes or no?

No Fuck you
>>
>>377983441
>>377983736
>I was told that THIS game in parituclar was the very best one other than classic Sotn

Uh, who told you that? The general consensus is that it's a weak entry. Its value is that it cemented the SotN style of Castlevania into the series, and that it was the first portable one of that style. That's about it, though. Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia are all considered better by most fans.

I imagine some would ever rate a few of the 3D games above CotM.
>>
>>377983936
SotN came out before it and is superior to it in every way

The visuals and music both trump it objectively and the gameplay is mostly the same, but SotN has more items and equipment and shit to do and transform into. There are more bosses, it's just a better game.

Every chart I read had CotM way up in god or high tier, I was expecting something amazing but this looks like a prototype, like comaparing megaman 1 to megaman 2.
>>
>>377983736
I never see COTM that much, is always SOTN, AoS, PoR and OoE.
>>
>>377983441
>I was told that THIS game in parituclar was the very best one other than classic Sotn
all the post-sotn games are better than sotn though
that's not to say sotn was bad, they just improved a lot with each title
usually some cons along the way though
>>
>>377983441
>How well do (you) think this game stacks up compared to other exploration castlevania games?

SotN > AoS > DoS > PoR > HoD > CotM
>>
Play a real Castlevania game like Rondo of Blood or SCIV.
>>
>>377984079
>is superior to it in every way

except sotn is easy. like painfully easy, its such a cakewalk that it really detracts from the enjoyment of the game. its pretty much the single flaw but its actually a big one
>>
>>377984168
I have a tough time putting SotN anywhere other than near the top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwS6481oQk

To this day it still has the best musical score and it still looks great.

It is a bit easy though, but you can always just avoid using OP weapons to keep the difficulty in check.

>>377984352
You could just avoid using the OP weapons.
>>
It's my favourite metroidvania. I love the level design of the castle, I like the card system, the other special abilities are also great, and the boss fights are very fun.

I haven't played it in a long time, maybe I should replay it.

I actually don't like SotN very much. Even though it's stuffed with cool shit like special weapon attacks and the inverted castle is super cool, I thought the boss fights were trivial due to the game's lack of balancing and exploring the inverted castle wasn't very interesting.
>>
The dash boots and the whole DOUBLE TAP TO SPRINT LMAO shit completely turn a solid 7/10 into a 2/10.
They are without a doubt one of the stupidest and most pointless "upgrades" in the entire franchise. There is literally zero reason to stop running once you get them, so why even make it an option then? What's the point?
>>
>>377984950
it's really a bitch to need to mash double tap on the dpad to run

and it's pissing me off
>>
>>377984950
>>377985148

Gen Z
>>
>>377985248
I doubt anyone from Gen Z would have even the slightest reason to play this game

I'm twenty seven and the OP, and I'm playing it right now.
>>
Why are threads about the anime getting deleted?
I know it's anime, but it's a fucking adaptation of a videogame.
>>
>>377985148
If you're emulating, there's a memory address you can change to permanently run done through cheats.

>>377985248
Outstanding argument my man.
You cannot give me ONE single reason why the dash boots are a good, meaningful mechanic, because there are none.
>>
Speaking of castlevania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMrFnl5NiA
>>
>>377984425
>You have to restrict yourself because the game has a shitty balance.
SOTN apologist everybody.
>>
>>377985662
Even Bloodborne is easy when you use the charged attack for the extendable axe

Just because a game can be cheesed doesn't make it easy by default, the impetus on using broken OP combos is on the player. The crissagrem is a very rare drop, but of course every gamefaqs guide will point out that it and the sheild rod/dracula sheild combo exists.
>>
>>377983441
You got memed fampai, CotM is actually the worst metroidvania Castlevania.
>>
>>377983441
Play this game on the next full moon and listen to sinking old sanctuary
>>
File: 1495192403994.jpg (4MB, 2000x8200px) Image search: [Google]
1495192403994.jpg
4MB, 2000x8200px
>>377985919
I was going off this image I saw this week on /v/

It prompted me to investigate the few games on this list I hadn't played

Environmebntal stattion alpha is a game I'll look at after I finish CotM
>>
>>377985547
>>377985315

If you weren't Gen Z, double tapping to dash would already be so ingrained in your hands that you wouldn't even notice
>>
File: MH0qx05c.png (144KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
MH0qx05c.png
144KB, 240x240px
>>377983441
I played it for the first time three years back and it was pretty tight. It's definitely clunkier than your standard post-SotN Castlevania, but it's still a fun ride if you can settle down with a healthy amount of challenge and a slower pace.

It's also far from overrated, since it's only slid into the spotlight fairly recently.
>>
>>377986362
I mean there are snes era games where you double tap to run (kirby super star) and there are some you press run to run (Super metroid) so it works both ways.

But your regular walk speed is so paintuflly slow and you end up losing your "run" animation whenever you jump or turn around which is very frequent so in this game you end up mashing the d-pad through double taps constantly.
>>
>>377985662
If it were that easy to fix it wouldn't be a big deal. SotN's balance problems are pretty major. I recall that many bosses later in the game couldn't even scratch me, and I wasn't a very high level or anything.
>>
>>377985564

I'm so fucking hard right now. Is that shading I see? If only they did MGS.
>>
>>377983441
It's the best mix of classic and metroid, you just have shit taste.
>>
>>377985805
Sounds like your making an argument about Bloodborne being a terrible game :^)

>the impetus on using broken OP combos is on the player.

Uh no. If I am playing a game of 1-on-1 hoops and the other person is so bad that I have to come up with handicaps to have "fun", than thats a shit game. SOTN was clearly an "ideas game" where none of this shit was balanced very well. Even something simple as attacking can easily be manipulated to get multiple hits by canceling your attacks with jumps and dashes.

Also
>What are spells
>What are buff items
>What is Moon Rod
>What is Jewel Knuckle.
>>
>>377986362
Just how stupid can you be?
I'm not complaining about the input, I'm complaining about the fact that walking offers no benefit over sprinting, no exceptions.
There are many games that have double tap running, sure, but those usually have a meaningful reason to have two separate movement speeds, and if they don't then my criticism applies to them all the same. In CotM, and pay attention to this well, there is NO REASON to ever stop running. It's a completely useless mechanic, it serves no purpose other than make movement slower and unneededly clunky for no reason whatsoever.
>>
>>377983441
It's an alright game but good fucking luck seeing it on a GBA screen
waaaay too dark
>>
It was the fucking tightest shit when it launched with the GBA
>>
>>377983441
>redditspacing
>>
>>377983441
really any of the gba Castlevanias are pretty good and if you are into the metroidvania stuff those games will be right u[p your alley
>>
File: Galamoth2.gif (8KB, 272x199px) Image search: [Google]
Galamoth2.gif
8KB, 272x199px
any tips on beatin this guy. every play through he always kicks my ass
>>
File: death.png (269KB, 1874x972px) Image search: [Google]
death.png
269KB, 1874x972px
Just killed death.
>>
>>377987907
Shield Rod + Alucard Shield combo.

Easymode.
>>
>>377983441
>reddit formatting
>>
File: grim-9.png (7KB, 416x248px) Image search: [Google]
grim-9.png
7KB, 416x248px
>>377988049
>>
File: 1481244609430.jpg (56KB, 581x637px) Image search: [Google]
1481244609430.jpg
56KB, 581x637px
>>377984352
>Sotn is painfully easy

>>377984425
>avoid using the OP weapons

>>377987907
>this guy is hard

>>377988192
>use the op weapons

??? ???
>>
>>377987907
>Get some heart refreshs
>Get the dagger sub weapon
>Go to one of the tall platforms
>Throw a rain of knifes at super sonic speed on it's face till he gets kill

Or just get beryl circlet that absorbs lightning, but that is cheating.
>>
>>377988336
>>377987521
dissapear.
>>
>>377987198

Gen Z
>>
File: 1450686402219.jpg (38KB, 258x254px) Image search: [Google]
1450686402219.jpg
38KB, 258x254px
>>377983441
its the weakest of the gameboy Castlevania games, it feels barebones and gets blow the fuck out by the other games

I also have some issues with it that pissed me off to be honest
>the platforming feels weird, its like your character is too heavy all the time
>map doesn't have enough warps
>no boss introductions, they are just there
>it doesn't feel satisfying to hit things with your whip
>Jesus fucking Christ whoever thought that brain platforming thing was a good idea deserves to be shot
>backtracking up the ass
>enemy attacks have shit animations and (most of the time) no audio
>abilities are shit and uninteresting
I will choose Aria over this everyday
>>
>>377988336

Stop forcing this garbage meme
>>
>>377983441
>Also I can't remember a single music track and none of the asthetics are remakrable.
I understand the rest but come on

>>377988636
People wouldn't bring it up if you made your posts fucking readable. Spamming linebreaks everywhere is terrible formatting
>>
I wasn't big on this one either, but they learned from it and made the later games better.
>>
>>377987907
dodge his attacks and hit him until he dies
>>
>>377984950
>DOUBLE TAP TO SPRINT LMAO
jesus shut the fuck up memer
>>
I played all of the GBA Metroidvanias, but I still think Symphony is the only one to get it right. Aria and Harmony are straight copies of Symphony, with none of the charm the music, special effects, and castle design brought. Running around as Alucard just feels better too; he's more responsive.
>>
>Some people honestly like this less than HoD

You people have amazingly shit taste
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.