[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does nobody ever talk about Final Fantasy XII? I always hear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 45

Why does nobody ever talk about Final Fantasy XII? I always hear a ton of discussion about the other games, and 12 was really praised when it came out plus it's getting a remake later this year. But I rarely ever hear people actually talk about how good/overrated it is. I think I actually hear more talk on Mystic Quest than this game.

Is the game forgettable or are the other ones just more interesting to talk about?
>>
>>377943959
It's boring and terrible.
>>
Doesn't play like a Final Fantasy game.

FF1-10 = good

FF11-15 = shit
>>
>>377943959
Plenty of people talk about it around here. What are you on about?
>>
>>377943959
Just wait for the HD version to come out, it will be talked about again while people are playing.
>>
Is the story really as bland as people say it is?
>>
>>377944435
It plays close enough to the FF games. All the skills and classes are there, only it's played in real time. FFXII was closer to older FF games than FFX was.
>>
>>377944639
It plays out more in the background, closer to western RPGs with world building than character drama, a lot of FF fans aren't used to that and expect to be more involved with the characters. The story for FFXII is pretty decent on its own.
>>
>Battle system is too much like an MMO, and the Gambit system essentially does all the work for you
>Uninteresting and impersonal story
>world full of non-human races, and a party of only humans except 1 bunnygirl
>Vayne is a dull politician who just talks too much but doesn't even say anything interesting, and is so far removed that we don't even know why he is the main antagonist. No one in the party even has a personal vendetta with him
>Vaan and Penelo are entirely useless
>Lack of character interaction. It's awkward to see a band of characters that barely seem to know each other, even at the end
>Licenses a shit
>Environments are boring
>Game feels incomplete with sidestories that go nowhere

It didn't feel like a Final Fantasy at all, but a poor slapped together game with the logo stapled on
>>
>>377944639
Yes and no. It has all the cinematic qualities to hold one's interests, but since the director left halfway through the project, there's no telling just how much of the original story remained and how much got gutted. You can tell by the end of the game they were pretty much rushing to just wrap everything up.
>>
>>377944679
Final Fantasty always slowly changed the gameplay or elements. Used to be no atb or one game with no leveling up.

2d to 3d. Team length either 4 or 3. FF7 doing away with dungeon and dragons fantasty.
>>
>>377944934
They obviously framed the ending the way they did because they wanted to make a spin off, which they did.
>>
>>377943959

Victim of memes. The idea that "the game plays itself!" was so widespread, when in actuality, the combat was harder to tackle than any of the previous Final Fantasies, that people were immediately turned off from it. Plus the three most interesting main characters, Basch, Balthier and...uh... Girl, were pushed aside for Vaan who is a far more subtle FF protagonist than people are used to.

It's a great game though. Beautiful graphics, well fleshed out world, great music and a story you can enjoy if you aren't a mindless animu fanboy.
>>
It's a good game so it doesn't get discussed on /v/. Most people will meme it as shit because they never played it.
>>
>>377944876
>gambit system essentially does all the work for you
How can people still post this when it's debunked in every single thread ? Is this bait? Stopped reading there Immad
>>
>>377944639
Long travel distances between locations make people forget the story. No joke.
>>
>>377943959
I'm actually hype as fuck for Zodiac Age
I made a thread a week ago or so, but I hardly got any replies
Im more than willing to discuss XII here though
>>
File: Chocobo_s_way-large.jpg (322KB, 920x518px) Image search: [Google]
Chocobo_s_way-large.jpg
322KB, 920x518px
>>377944876
>Environments are boring
The environments were gorgeous
>Gambit system essentially does all the work for you
The gambit system doesn't configure itself. You merely set in a way you'd enter commands during specific battles. How is that inferior to mashing attack while grinding mobs?
>>
>>377944639
Depends on how you like your storytelling. XII's story happens mainly in the background of the game, outside of the actions of the main characters. It's quite good though,and probably the only Final Fantasy with a story that wasn't laughably cheesy and was quite grounded in tone and depth.
>>
>>377945386
Final Fantasy's combat works best with a turn based system
>>
>>377945561
Most FF games aren't actually turn based; ATB is an active system and FFXII basically made all the movement real time as well.
>>
>>377945737
>clunky turn based action combat

this is the true strength of Final Fantasy
>>
File: finalfantasy12izjs_03.jpg (733KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
finalfantasy12izjs_03.jpg
733KB, 1920x1080px
>>377945386
FFXII was an all around pretty game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAD58HCB-c
>>
I remember about :
Penelo's butt
Boss theme
Larsa being the best guest
Adrammelech
>>
One thing that always pissed me off in that game was the way magic works. The game can not handle too many spells being used at once and will just have characters and monsters stand around like idiots with fully charged spells until the one currently active spell is finished.
>>
Like all other good final fantasys, there is nothing to discuss. Unlike games like 13 or 2, it doesn't make any huge mistakes. The final fantasy series is a great way to teach yourself what to do and what not to do when making a video game.
>>
>>377945737
Every game has always been different from the other ones. V has nothing to do with VI, which is completely different from VII, and so on. Even IX has its own, atrocious combat system (and I love the game besides that). The only common threads are superficial stuff like the names, moogles and chocobos.
>>
>>377945261
Plus the Hunts can draw your attention away even further.
>>
File: Crash_site.jpg (578KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Crash_site.jpg
578KB, 1920x1080px
When the HD version comes out it will make FFXIII feel like a mistake. All the open environments, even the small ones. are more varied and detailed than that crappy Pulse area. If only it had an online coop mode like they originally planned, plus more guest characters for side quests, it would have been perfect.
>>
All I remember is that the other characters played itself and the AI was fucking terrible so I dropped it.

The environments were also generic and bland as fuck.
>>
>>377946329
This was actually a problem with how the ps2 processed things, which has been fixed in the remaster.
>>
>>377943959
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/subject/Final%20Fantasy%20XII/
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/subject/FFXII/
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/FFXII/results/thread/4

Try harder next time + Final Fantasy threads are one of the worst thread on /v/
>>
The only FF game where I put more than 60 hours in, more than a hundred even. It came out around the same time period as DQVIII which I also put a lot of hours into.
>>377946673
The mechanics behind the ATB system was pretty much the same, the only difference are some of the rulesets and names on skills and spells, or how they progress, but the core battle system had the same flow.
>>
>>377946027
Atb turn based was used for 3 to 9. 10 made a new system, and got away from leveling up character. Every next game, a new system fir gameplay.

2 has no leveling but only for jobs. 1 to 3 are pure turn based and that was a long time ago.
>>
>>377946861
It was certainly a huge step backwards and I don't think FF will ever recover from the atrocity known as XIII.
>>
>>377946901

It wasn't a problem, it was a limitation. 3 flares/holys happening at the same time would melt the ps2.
>>
>>377944435
>Doesn't play like a Final Fantasy game.
You're right, it has better gameplay. God I really miss mashing X without thinking between FF2 and 10.
>>
>>377944876
>Battle system is too much like an MMO, and the Gambit system essentially does all the work for you
This is how all JRPG that have a party but aren't turn based play since then though. Doesn't help if you don't like this gameplay but my point is that nobody else has got it to work any better.

Yeah I kinda think SE must have been trying to keep it light since it was Directed by Mat"you can make your sister kill herself"suno nd has none of the heaviness of his other games.

>world full of non-human races, and a party of only humans except 1 bunnygirl
Yeah that is weird and I suspect SE meddling to make it less FFTA like. There should have been roughly equal amounts of moogles, bangaas, Numu and Veirra

>Vayne is a dull politician who just talks too much but doesn't even say anything interesting, and is so far removed that we don't even know why he is the main antagonist. No one in the party even has a personal vendetta with him
k
Yeah they were shoe horned in to make the cast seem more final fantasy-ish and it shows.

>Lack of character interaction. It's awkward to see a band of characters that barely seem to know each other, even at the end
k
>Licenses a shit
>Environments are boring
>Game feels incomplete with sidestories that go nowhere
I think ff12 was the first major victim of the new SE fucking over it's own games by meddling with their creation and then demanding they get it finished and released when they want.

I enjoyed it but it could have done better. Still much better game then later FF
>>
12 is actually one of my favourites. The fact it's in Ivalice and canonically in the distant past of FFT only makes it sweeter. The events of 12 directly cause FFT to happen and Ivalice going to shit, that's fucking mindblowing.
>>
Bioware admitted to have tried copying FFXII's system for Dragon Age Origins, but theirs literally plays itself and you don't even have the fraction of control of how your party behaves as you do in FFXII.
>>
>>377943959
I loved how much focus on lore there was, as well as the (relatively) open structure.

It made me feel as though I was playing an RPG rather than interactive shounenshit.
>>
File: Gabranth Exburst.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Gabranth Exburst.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>377943959
There is nothing left to talk about, everything has been discussed from the main party being the vilain for a time to Vayne being the real hero until the last bit of the game. It's a remaster.
On the other hand, i hope they will reveal Gabranth as the next vilain in Dissidia Final Fantasy next month. Curious about how they are going to change his gamepaly.
>>
>>377946861
>When the HD version comes out it will make FFXIII feel like a mistake.
We know FFXIII was a mistake.
>>
File: ff races.jpg (526KB, 1680x1627px) Image search: [Google]
ff races.jpg
526KB, 1680x1627px
>>377946861

It should have a donut steel as a guest.

>all those different races
>the only non-human character you play is a human with bunny ears
>>
File: LibWsAIKtNI.jpg (112KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
LibWsAIKtNI.jpg
112KB, 1200x675px
A gambit got lost.
>>
File: 1494808771837.jpg (90KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1494808771837.jpg
90KB, 640x360px
>>377943959
It's so divisive.
You either love it or hate it.
I'm excited for it and can't wait to get the remaster, but that's because my PS2 died right around the time I got to the village of booby bunny ladies.
No clue how far in I was, and I've no clue what changes the zodiac version is bringing but I can't wait to finish it
>>
>>377947357
>FFII

Button mashing in II would only get you killed
>>
File: mig.jpg (8KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
mig.jpg
8KB, 300x169px
I'm more excited about this desu because it's new.
>>
>>377948547
Which is why I said between, you foreign shitskin
>>
>>377948626

Faggot.
>>
>>377948626
Isn't that just a XIV campaign?
>>
>>377948380
>Eruyt village
I'd say you were around 45% finished.
>>
>>377949000
24-man raid yes
>>
>>377947348
A limitation is also a problem if it prevents you from experiencing the game as you'd like to.
>>
>>377949232
>raid
Fuck that.
>>
File: sf1494810213185.png (124KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
sf1494810213185.png
124KB, 600x400px
I'm playing the Zodiac version is pcsx2 and even with the fast forward button the game is boring as hell

I just found Mjirl or whatever and now I can go past the jungle but good god I can't wait to finish it just to say that I did
>>
>>377944541
Cant wait for all the Ashe ass threads...
>>
File: ff12-international-1.jpg (130KB, 700x750px) Image search: [Google]
ff12-international-1.jpg
130KB, 700x750px
>>377950382
Will it get new outfits?
>>
>>377950643
No.
>>
File: FFXII-47.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FFXII-47.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>377950382
They released some Screenshot 2 days ago : https://www.famitsu.com/news/201705/22133239.html
>>
>>377950093
You're going to watch on youtube then :^)
>>
>>377950863
Boner getting ready
>>
>>377943959
Because everyone already knows it's the best one, leaving nothing to discuss
>>
What will be the best job combination?
I'll definetely rock archer/monk, but there might be better ones.
>>
>>377950863
The cast on the left is the most OP magic in the game IIRC. I forgot its name. It's also in FFTA2
>>
>>377944435
kys
>>
>>377951373
Scathe.
>>
>>377946329
That's gone in Zodiac Age. That queue bullshit pissed me off in XII (it got me killed in the original), but I saw a video in which Scathe fired off the INSTANT it was ready while others were casting spells as well.
>>
>>377946329
That actually helped against some of the tougher bosses, especially Zodiark.
>>
>>377946716
Yup, the combination of:

- World driven story
- Long distances between points where the world's story advances
- Hunts that you can do in between those places

Means the game feels even more threadbare (in terms of story) than it actually is. It's definitely more impersonal than FF fans are used to.
>>
>>377949084
You know what? In okay with that. A good chunk of the story is blurry to me anyway
>>
>>377946861
We knew FFXIII was a mistake the moment that shit hit and everyone realized the colossal fuck up SE made.

A step back across the goddamn board. Zodiac Age will be a lot of people's first taste of an FF with a large, open world.
>>
File: gabranth.jpg (26KB, 267x500px) Image search: [Google]
gabranth.jpg
26KB, 267x500px
>>377944639
It's unlike other Final Fantasy story. It's grounded and very tonally heavy and your characters are just a small cog in the diplomatic and political war machine that fuels the overall plot. No cheesy circumstances, no forced romance. Hell, in the end most of the world didn't even know half of the party saved the world.

In the end it's somewhat realistic and engaging and is actually a good story. Too bad most Final Fantasy fans are used to utter shit so they can't see a good plot when it smacked them in the face. No romance, no clear black and white enemies, no victory fanfare where the whole world worships the triumphant hero. It acknowledges that no matter who you are, you are but a small piece of history and the world is shaped by a lot of people different than you. Stuff to nuanced and complex for your average FFag.

You'll enjoy it if you've never played a Final Fantasy before. You'll hate it if you're a Final Fantasy connoisseur.
>>
>>377947404
>Yeah they were shoe horned in to make the cast seem more final fantasy-ish and it shows.
Yup, there was an interview with Hiroyuki Ito where he basically says exactly that. They're just there as an excuse to explain things to the player as you encounter them.
>>
File: penn trash perspective.jpg (379KB, 1240x786px) Image search: [Google]
penn trash perspective.jpg
379KB, 1240x786px
>>377948626
Oh boy it's another content patch that will last players a month, and then they'll unsubscribe for another 3 months before the next treadmill is released.

Whoopty fucking doo
>>
>>377947582
No game has done granular control/management of AI party members like FFXII.

And it's been a fucking DECADE since its release.
>>
>>377943959
I enjoyed it. It's a good game but also the start of the series' decline. It's a clear step down from what came before and signs of the troubled development are clearly visible throughout the entire game. Unfortunately XIII and XV continued this trend.
>>
>>377948380
FFXII is actually trapped on the PS2.

It's the only FF not officially available on any other platform.
>>
>>377952357
t.wowcuck
>>
File: trash pokemon.jpg (255KB, 499x497px) Image search: [Google]
trash pokemon.jpg
255KB, 499x497px
>>377952656
FFXIV is WoW with a shoddy coat of FF paint on it.

Go jerk off in your antisocial instances with your machine algorithm parties.
>>
did they say if they fixed getting the zodiac spear? i remember it was completely stupid in the ps2 version where you either:
A. didn't open 3 random chests near the beginning of the game and then found it about 20 hours later
B. have to search for a 1/1000 chance a chest spawns then have a 1/100 chance that the item in the chest is the zodiac spear
>>
>>377943959
I am currently playing ff12. Just trying to reach lvl 99 on pcsx2, currently only at 56. I am very early in the game, once I reach 99 then I will continue with main story..
>>
>>377953029
The chest thing was bullshit, but thinking back on it, the chest system sucked in XII and there really was no incentive to open them.
>>
>>377952331
It was a good move in the end because Vaan and Panelo are the most popular characters of the game in moon land. Not only that but I feel the game benefits from having them there because they give the player the everyman's view of the events happening in the game. Too many people are upset over this misconception that Vaan is the main character, he isn't, he's the protagonist in that we see the game from his point of view but he isn't the main character.
>>
File: Sakaguchi bio.jpg (97KB, 546x343px) Image search: [Google]
Sakaguchi bio.jpg
97KB, 546x343px
>>377952603
>It's a good game but also the start of the series' decline.
More like it's the start of the HD era, which absolutely destroyed JRPGs as a genre.

Not sure how FF10 managed, honestly. The short and successful development cycle probably came down to Sakaguchi's experience and wise management since he still worked at the company at that time, which isn't something you can say about every FF starting with 12.
>>
>>377946861
XIII gets too much shit for things outside of its control. The game was clearly unfinished but was released anyway because development was simply taking too long.
>>
>>377953171
>Not only that but I feel the game benefits from having them there because they give the player the everyman's view of the events happening in the game

I guess? They just kinda stand around for the most part.
>>
>>377953029

On the IZJS chests respawn by moving only one screen away, and you have the fast forward button. There's no forbidden chest bullshit anymore. Now you can get one by a chest on Henne Mines with 1% chance of spawning, but with 100% chance of containing a ZS. You can also get one by the trophy hunt on Phon Coast.
>>
>>377953029
https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/faqs/49691

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XII/Version_differences
>>
>>377953181
What do you mean? Sakaguchi is the reason behind FF12 devellopement hell.
>>
Played vanilla FF12, it was boring. Went and played Zodiac Job System FF12 and not only was it boring it was even easier than the original. I ran around Nam-Yensa with two gambits on each character and that was sufficient to get the game to completely play itself.
>>
>>377952231
>It's unlike any other Final Fantasy story

Very true.

The only two moments of cringe for me where Vaan's "I'M CAPTAIN BASCH OF DALMASCA" and Ashe's sudden crush on Balthier that came out of nowhere. Even then, Vaan's act had a actual purpose in the story.

The major problems that I had with the game as a whole were as follows:

-No more information on Venat and why he chose to forsake his own kind just to give humes the ability to control their own lives. Why would Venat give a shit, unless it was to spite those who had probably cast him out?
-Too MANY things happened off screen. I'm pretty sure I don't have to list them all. I didn't like this at all and this is from someone who doesn't need everything spelled out.
-The final "dungeon", if you can even call it that was underwhelming. I wanted Sky Fortress Bahamut to be a more interesting place to run through right before the final boss.
-I don't like how the Espers were utilized. I don't think I ever summoned them for the purpose of defeating anyone. There was the obligatory summon with Belias to get through an area. I believe I summoned each once under controlled conditions just to see what they looked like. That's it.
-Noah/Gabranth's reasons for betraying his brother sounds so very petty to me but I guess it is just to show that even Gabranth was not perfect and had his flaws
-I wanted a fight with Judge Drace.
>>
>>377953387
I'm so sick and tired of this excuse. It was used for FFXII, XIII, and XV. It wouldn't surprise me if it was used for Type 0 as well.
>>
>>377943959
It's complete garbage. 15 is better than that horseshit.
>>
File: 2016-01-09_00004.jpg (341KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-09_00004.jpg
341KB, 1920x1080px
>>377943959
I wanted to like FF12 so fucking bad, I've made many attempts to play through the game and even got about 20 hours in on one try. But holy shit once you turn on turbo mode in IJZS you realize how fucking flawed the combat is, the entire game just becomes walking into enemies with turbo turned on, shit even most bosses you barely need any input. It fucking sucks I wanted to like it so much the world is cool, the artstyle is amazing, the graphics look great for a PS2 game, the music is fantastic, and the concept behind the combat is really interesting when you first start but god fucking shit once you hit that turbo button the facade cracks open and you realize there's just nothing even remotely engaging there and its fucking a banal waste of time and beyond fucking boring.
>>
>>377953857
Like many, many Japanese games, Final Fantasy XII has great potential left unfulfilled to satisfy the Japanese players. For fuck's sake, Basch was meant to be the protagonist. This would've made XII the first Final Fantasy with a tough, manly, non bishonen lead. You can see the potential, but it's all unrealized.
>>
Am I the only one that actually liked Vaan? He was called Ratsbane by the Old Dalam because he could only kill rats in the sewers, and ended up standing up side by side with Reddas at Pharos. On other FFs, the protagonist is supposed to be badass already, but is only strong enough to kill rats.
>>
File: Hiroyuki itou.jpg (37KB, 510x340px) Image search: [Google]
Hiroyuki itou.jpg
37KB, 510x340px
What is he doing nowadays?
>>
>>377954557
Vaan isn't the portagonist.
>>
>>377954557
>On other FFs, the protagonist is supposed to be badass already, but is only strong enough to kill rats.

Firion, Cloud, and Tidus didn't start out badass either.
>>
File: 1472325939529.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1472325939529.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
Can't wait to see all of this in HD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGQOX1zKdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2iJ3kYyqWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9769vztXW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFohZR81PCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSPbEBZSNI4
>>
>>377954656
He's working on FF16: https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/22/rumour-square-enix-hiring-devs-to-work-on-final-fantasy-16/ Joking, he is a janitor at Squareenix.
>>
>>377954767
FFXII doesn't really have a classic protagonist. Vaan is the eyes of the player and the voice of reason for Ashe, Balthier would tell you he is but ultimately plays a supporting role aside from a few moments, Ashe is the closest thing but gets sidelined for a good bit of the action anyway, and Basch fits the bill but between his circumstances, how he fits into the story, and how he develops alongside Gabranth makes him important to the story but not central. And hell it's also Vaan who's ultimately key to undermining the villain's plans in the end.
>>377955114
Unless you're counting Crisis Core, Cloud starts out raiding a power plant and killing scores of trained soldiers on the way. That's pretty strong.
>>
>>377943959
its not overrated, most ff fans hated it. imagine a time where the previous games were 7,8,9,10. then 12 is quite a departure, which would be fine if it was a spin-off, but it's a bit of a let down when you could be getting a real ff, same with 15(imo). it's a bit like what 3rd birthday is to parasite eve, it's ok, but the real ones are way fucking better.
>>
>>377955690
>Unless you're counting Crisis Core,

I was actually counting what VII itself presents. Cloud is a failure who limps his way into Midgar, then bluffs his way through badassness. A lot of what Cloud does early game is pretty much a case of "fake it till you make it". Admittedly I'm splitting hairs, but still.
>>
>>377944876
???
Vaan tags along to get revenge for his brother and Penelo because she cares about him. Later Vaan gives up on revenge when he realizes it won't make anything better, and he convinces Ashe of the same.
>>
>>377955690
>FFXII doesn't really have a classic protagonist.
Sound like FF6
>>
File: 1494628765903.jpg (241KB, 1000x723px) Image search: [Google]
1494628765903.jpg
241KB, 1000x723px
>>377943959
It's kind of dull.

I was having a pretty good time playing through it, and a friend told me he quit halfway and I was like 'wtf'. But sure enough, when I got a little over halfway I got bored of it too.

Either you're jarringly pausing the game every few seconds to micromanage or you're almost falling asleep waiting for random battles to end.
>>
>>377953640
what history are you smoking? he wasn't involved in 12 at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi

>Final Fantasy XII
>Special thanks
>>
>>377956269
VI was much more of an ensemble cast. XII's cast just lacks a clear focus.
>>
>12 was really praised when it came out
Most people ignored it because they were turned off by it.
>>
>>377956269
Basically. People piss over who the "main character" is when really it's just your party as a whole that matters. Like >>377944639 says, your characters are just a small cog in something much larger but it's how they come together and interact and deal with the world that makes them so central. Without Balthier nobody would be able to get anything done, without Ashe the key to the story is missing and there isn't much conflict, without Basch the party would have likely taken the wrong side entirely, and without Vaan they would have all failed.
>>
>>377956407
I think anon's point was Sakaguchi's departure is what led to half the development team abandoning the project to join Mistwalker.
>>
>>377955114
>Tidus didn't start out badass

But did you see that blitzball opening?

Oh wait, you are referring to when Auron gave him a sword to fight and he immediately tumbled to the ground. Nevermind.
>>
>>377956515
>ignored
No it sold as much as the other FF and it WAS praised.
>>
>>377953857
There was no romance in FF12. That wasnt even a crush.

Also Balthier is worst boy.
>>
>>377956220
Just to critique, I felt that Hope's admission to Lightning and the scenes where he forgave Snow and gave up on revenge for good seemed more meaningful than how Vaan resolved his issues with Basch and Gabranth.
>>
>>377954375
Japan doesn't like those men because for them, that's too close to being gay. I thought you "manly" fags had finally died out, guess there's a few more years to go.
>>
>>377956407
>>377956535
Hironobu Sakaguchi was the one chose Hiroyuki Ito + Yasumi Matsuno to direct FF12 and He was the produced of FF12.
>>
File: 74916.jpg (178KB, 590x800px) Image search: [Google]
74916.jpg
178KB, 590x800px
>>377956729
>Balthier is worst boy.
What a fukin shit tast, i'm leaving this thread now.
>>
>>377956636
>No it sold as much as the other FF
Because people were turned off by 11 being an MMO, so when FF12 came out people were clamoring for a Final Fantasy that wasn't an MMO. Little did they know that FF12 played exactly like one, only without the multiplayer or online aspect. It quickly became ignored aside from an extremely vocal minority.

>and it WAS praised.
Critically? FF12 was released back when a game being a Final Fantasy mattered. FF12 destoryed that reputation and 13 and its sequels sullied it even futher. Longtime Final Fantasy fans didn't bother with 13 because 12 had done enough damage and 13 was heading further into a direction they weren't interested in.
>>
File: balthier sad.png (313KB, 1280x587px) Image search: [Google]
balthier sad.png
313KB, 1280x587px
>>377956729
>Worst boy

But he's the hero...
>>
>>377956821
Kawazu produced FF12 you uninformed frog
>>
>>377956729
>Also Balthier is worst boy.
the degree of your shit taste is unbelievable
>>
>>377956974
>Because people were turned off by 11 being an MMO
Really? I heard it was the most profitable FF for Square enix. FF12 actually influenced some people to do the same like Bioware, Monolith Soft and the studio behind the white knight chronicles.
>>
>>377956928
>>377957039
>>377957051
>HEY GUYS I'M THE LEADING MAN
>DID YOU HEAR THAT I'M THE LEADING MAN?
>I DRESS LIKE A TOTAL FAGGOT AND AM A HUGE ATTENTION WHORE DESPITE BEING JUST AS WORTHLESS OF A CHARACTER AS ANYONE ELSE!
>HEY, DID YOU GUYS HEAR THAT I'M THE LEADING MAN? BECAUSE I'M THE LEADING MAN

Balthier sucked.
>>
>>377957045
Kawazru was the only the producer after >>377956535. When Sakaguchi left.
>>
Shit tier uninvolving gameplay where you don't even have to touch the controller.

Terrible uninvolving story where most of the actual plot progression has NOTHING to do with your main party, I mean literally nothing, characters your party never even meets dictate most of what happens.

Mediocre soundtrack where most of the actually good tracks are just straight up reused from Final Fantasy Tactics.

And even beyond all that what pisses me off is just how badly they wasted the setting. Like, we finally get a big budget Ivalice game and the entire party is human? Bangaa have gone from being cultured lizard people to 10 foot tall retarded nigger thugs? No moogle party members? Why even set it in Ivalice if all you're going to do is portray Ivalice as a completely shitty place?
>>
>>377957295
fuck off contrarian faggot
>>
>>377957295
Nice b8t m8. You really showed them.
>>
>>377957246
>FF12 actually influenced some people to do the same like Bioware, Monolith Soft and the studio behind the white knight chronicles.
The only game that came out after FF12's wake made by those companies that was good was Dragon Age Origins, and that was only because the gambit system actually makes sense on a PC where you have far more inputs to actually effectively manage your characters.
>>
>>377957395
It really couldn't have hurt to have a more diverse cast for this game, honestly. Fran met their diversity quota and then they felt they could simply move on from there. Hell, the non-hume characters could have been guest characters like Larsa and Judge Zecht (forgot his other name)
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 565x316px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 565x316px
>>377957448
Fuck off.
Basch best boy
>>
>>377957571
Xenoblade chronicles was good too.
>>
Because it's the worst FF with the least memorable cast and story.
>>
>people complaing that every JRPG is about a chosen one defeating an ancient evil to save the entire universe
>shit themselves when a major release is focused on politics and the protagonists are more or less commom people
Really makes me think.
>>
>>377943959
Nice bait senpai. Got me in the thread to give a (you)
>>
>>377957615
Kys sjw scum
>>
Never got around to playing any ff games nor rpgs in general, but this year decided to give pcsx2 a try, starting with megaten games. Should i emulate this one?
>>
>>377956535
>Sakaguchi's departure
Which is Square Enix's fault, not his. If they thought he was integral to 12, they should have kept him.
>>
>>377943959
It's my favorite Final Fantasy Game. Partly because I love the combat system along with the gridboard and the gambits, but also because I love the level design, the weapon design, the loot system, and the crafting.
>>
>>377958328
If you're going to play FF I seriously recommend starting with IV, V, VI, VII, or X, then picking up the rest as leftovers, with one exception.

Skip II entirely. I mean that, do not even bother with it, do not attempt to play it, it is literally one of the worst games in the entire genre, it borders on being unplayable.
>>
File: penelo (3).jpg (147KB, 1024x1449px) Image search: [Google]
penelo (3).jpg
147KB, 1024x1449px
Penelo's ass is literally perfect.
>>
>>377958362
He's the one who did FF Spriti within movie. I think his departure wasn't because of Square Enix but because of Sony pressure after the flop of the movie.
>>
>>377943959
>run along
>enemy
>force stop and pull out weapons
>battle ends
>running along
>force stop to put away weapons

I never finished FF12
>>
>>377958328
Follow the production and start with FF 1. Don't skip II.
>>
>>377959161
Oh wow, it's just like every FF ever made.
>>
>>377958501
>loot system
You can get burning bow literally couple of hours into the game. Thats atleast a mid game weapon. Literally dont bother with 2-3 level licences licenses for bows
>>
>>377959206
That's like asking someone to play SMT starting with the fucking shitty MSX games.
>>
I could forgive the uninvolving story and crappy cast of characters if the gameplay was even halfway decent but it's just not.

XII easily has the worst or second worst battle system in the series. Really the only way I can look at FFXII these days is as a failed prototype for the infinitely superior Xenoblade Chronicles.
>>
Can someone please talk me out of downloading the ISO and starting playing it again just so I can stare at Penelo's ass?
>>
File: 1446914585133.jpg (248KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
1446914585133.jpg
248KB, 800x480px
Fran's >> Penelo's >> Ashe's
>>
>>377957615
>tfw no playable Bangaa monk

Those Bangaas and others you see prowling the environments always felt like such cockteases.
>>
>>377959254
it's one thing to have a screen transition for the combat area and it's a completely different thing to tout a seamless battle but have the retarded as fuck stutter step
>>
should I buy zodiac age?

I never did finish all the top tier hunts and summons
>>
My personal favorite. Thought I was like 14 when I played it. Or 15. 13?

I liked the offline MMO feel and that bunny girl made me rock SOLID in my pants.

Waiting and looking forward to the Zodiac remake HD whatever.
>>
>>377959161
The stutter is annoying but people REALLY overstate it.
>>
>>377959762
considering how many battles you'll get into and out of over the course of the game it really is an oversight on the devs
>>
>>377958932
Notes taken, i guess i will start with x. I will be frank, the artstyle of the others turn me off a bit. But out of curiosity, why do you dislike ii so much?
>>
Offline MMOs are a shitty genre, the first Xenoblade is the only exception to the rule.
>>
>>377943959
It was alright, story went to shit when the writer for the beginning segments was removed though.
>>
>>377959865
Maybe, but I hardly ever noticed it. Its really only a problem if you're constantly running and transitioning between areas.
>>
File: vsinset.jpg (53KB, 610x424px) Image search: [Google]
vsinset.jpg
53KB, 610x424px
>>377959762
I personally think they should've made it exactly like they had made it in Vagrant Story, where you won't enter Battle Mode until you press a button, and remain in Battle Mode until you press the Cancel button.
>>
>>377959949
FFII is so bad it's unbelievable.

Instead of gaining experience and leveling up when hitting a cap, they tried this experimental system where you have a random RNG chance to gain a stat point at the end of any battle, based on what you did in the battle.
So hit a lot of enemies with melee, chance to gain strength. Take a lot of damage, chance to gain HP.
This system is so busted and dysfunctional that the best way to level up is to fight the weakest possible monsters and have your own party members attack each other. It's fucking retarded and terrible, and takes FOREVER to get strong.

The game's world is insanely built. You can get a game over within 30 seconds of gaining control of your party by walking south. For some reason, at the south of the starting continent, endgame (and I really mean end of the game) level monsters spawn. These monsters are so strong they literally cannot be damaged by you and they one shot you. Beyond that they can't even be ran away from because the way running from battle is based off stats.

Magic levels up based on usage for each spell. It takes literally thousands, even tens of thousands of casts of a single spell to level up the magic. Actual thousands, it would take like 10 hours of grinding to level one up.

Even shit like dungeons. Most of the dungeons are filled with dozens of empty rooms with nothing in them. When you enter a room in a dungeon, it's not designed like a normal video game where you're at the door on the other side. It deposits you in the MIDDLE of the empty room so you have to walk back and get in more random battles.

The truly heinous thing about this game though is that it's been remade 4 or 5 times now, and NONE, NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THE REMAKES HAVE FIXED THESE ISSUES. If anything they've gotten worse, the original NES version is full of bugs you can exploit to make the game beatable, the remakes remove the bugs but keep the shit design.
>>
>>377943959
This is the best FF and anyone that disagrees is wrong
>>
What is mystic quest?
>>
>>377960892
It's a spinoff that was meant to be a sort of introductory JRPG for children. Dead serious, it was made to be simplistic and easy so kids could get into the genre.

Despite that, I'd still play it because the music is fucking amazing.
>>
>>377960709
I wouldn't be surprised if Matsuno had intended for XII to be an advancement of most the things VS had done before he departed.
>>
I'd like to give this game a go but all I have is a ps2. Should I get the original? I heard mixed opinions about it.
>>
>>377961328
The original is more than fine. If you're feeling ambitious you can emulate the international zodiac version.
>>
>>377951241
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pRNoNgG65Pk7sGQFlM3-g591q57Qvu46BU2oaV8p7qY/edit

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/939426-final-fantasy-xii-international-zodiac-job-system/69936656

Read through this shit and decide for yourself. My first time playing IZJS I went
Vaan: Monk
Balthier: Shikari
Fran: Red Mage
Basch: Knight
Ashe: Samurai
Penelo: Black Mage

And it worked fine. The game is generally easy enough that you can theoretically get through it with any combination though. It's only on Weak Mode that making optimal Job combinations becomes really critical.
>>
>>377961318
It is, they finally had the technology to do the things they actually wanted to do back in 2000. One of the versions of XII was essentially VS2 with Basch as the stand-in for Ashley, but it was because of FF XI and Matsuno and Hiroyuki Ito decided to make a what would be back then an open world Ivalice setting. And they had wanted AI-controlled party members for VS, which is why Sydney is an ally in that one battle, and you can charm monsters to your side by casting buffs on them several times.

https://youtu.be/IKkUbjhQ-h8
>>
>>377960729
Jesus, that sounds like a nightmare! Though i think its funny you can attack your own party members.
>>
>>377961328
I believe that the only thing that the Zodiac version does to truly improve the game is the turbo button, it lets you fastforward some boringness, but the class system ended up being bad for me, the only thing it accomplishes is locking characters out of abilities and equipments, it doesn't really add anything to the game and feels very tacked on.
>>
>>377961829
You can actually attack your own party members in most Final Fantasy games. I think the feature was only put in originally to have a way to forcefully cure the Sleep status effect. But there are usually better ways to do that than heavily damaging them.
>>
>>377962126
TZA is gonna let you have two jobs, but as far as I understand, you can't change jobs or multiclass like in FFT, which is all I wanted since I first played IZJS. Zodiac Job also has some pretty cool new features that make me like it more than the original, but really the only thing I wanted was a job change feature. We'll see how TZA is.
>>
Why is this still an exclusive game?
>>
File: peneloasss.jpg (46KB, 440x640px) Image search: [Google]
peneloasss.jpg
46KB, 440x640px
>>377943959
I want to have sex with Penelo
>>
>Great cast of characters
>Amazing cinematic music
>Beautiful scenery
>Hunts
>Secret hunts
>Great side quests
>Gambits
>Ashe
>Penelo

What more do you faggots want in a video game?
>>
>>377962559
My hope is that they end up putting Zodiac Age on PC. Also that they put I, II, Tactics and Vagrant Story there finally too.
>>
>>377962346
>TZA is gonna let you have two jobs
Source? That would be a crazy change over the original.

Also any word on Weak Mode? I'm hoping it's unlocked by default, I don't wanna have to do Trial mode to get to it.
>>
>>377962653
Don't talk about my girlfriend like that.
>>
>>377961810
>and you can charm monsters to your side by casting buffs on them several times.

Speaking of, I remember when XII was first announced and one of the features talked about was how enemies would react dynamically to your presence. Made me wish there was some sort of system in place where you could influence their behaviors towards you. Like, if two monsters are fighting each other, if you heal and aid one, it will boost their affinity towards you. Do it enough and they eventually move to neutral, then become an ally, helping you as you move through areas.
>>
>>377962782
When will PCfags just kill themselves already?
>>
>>377962783
>Square Enix Japan has posted more screenshots for Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, as well as revealing new additions to the remaster that were not present in the International PlayStation 2 version.

>Most notably, it is now possible to have a character set with two job classes simultaneously, instead of just one in the International version. Once a character unlocks "L Board Plus" on the License Board, they can then select a second job to complement their abilities. Different combinations of jobs are certain to have some interesting results.

>Another small but useful addition is that of a real time transparent map, which can be pulled up to the user interface when exploring the field.

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5513-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-screenshots

This is one of the websites, but there's several with the info that they announced. As I say, it's hard to tell from the wording, maybe something got lost in translation, but it's unclear whether or not they mean FFT/Bravely-style multiclassing, where you can have one job and the skills of another, but if it is like that, that's a huge improvement over both the original and IZJS.
>>
>>377962783
>Source?

Pretty much every article on google talks about it.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/final-fantasy-12-the-zodiac-age/2/

>>377962782
I thought the Dawn of Souls versions of I and II were on pc already?
>>
>>377963151
I can't possibly understand what would lead someone to desire the death of a person for the sin of wanting to play a game on an specific platform.
>>
>>377943959
Preorder price for the standard edition FFXII HD on amazon is $38 right now with free shipping for non-prime members.
>>
>>377962783
Afaik, both NG+ are unlocked in the same manner.
>>
>>377944435
>FF XI shit
Them fighting words, XI was great pre-abyssea
>>
>>377963276
>>377963335
Thanks anons, that sounds cool. Will make the game a lot more interesting to replay after having already put hundreds of hours into IZJS.

>>377963618
Fuck
>>
>>377947773
>>377947773
think this was the biggest mistake, even bigger than Vaan, why have all those races and have them playable in the FFTA and not let you have them in XII?
>>
Why do they keep remastering the old ones instead of making a new decent one? Are they desperate?
>>
I remember loving it, exploring the world was nice, and hunts were fun. I will admit that the story felt like it was secondary to everything else, i can't remember much of it outside of blaming the dude on an assassination they did, and the greedy dude trying to use his younger brother prince to get power, and some insane science dude who uses an esper to fight you at some point.
>>
>>377963335
>I thought the Dawn of Souls versions of I and II were on pc already?
No http://store.steampowered.com/sale/final-fantasy/?l=english
>>
>>377944639
It really is. The scope of it is grand but the interactions between characters is so fucking boring. It's like watching old men discussing policy on a Sunday Morning talk show. I like the gambit system and stealing shit in this game but midway through I started skipping the talking scenes.
>>
>>377964069
They are working on FFXV DLC, FFVIIR, Dissidia FF, FF14 Stormblood all handled by different team.
>>
>>37794395
>Badass biker bunny woman
>Androgynous young boy in revealing attire
>typical tedious final fantasy dialogue
Because I'm ashamed to have bought it.
>>
>>377943959
Everything about it is boring, from the characters, to the story and to the gameplay.
Not a fan of the gambit system.
>>
>>377964232
So I,II,XII and XV are the only missing from thje mainline on steam.
>>
>>377964232
>III is on Steam

Well, huh.
>>
>>377963335
>PC
Visualboy Advance, goy
>>
>>377955128
You forgot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkCDI1Fetg
The whole scene is amazing.
>>
>>377947453
do they explain what happened to all the nonhuman races? genocidal purge?
>>
>>377963372
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>377964309

>the interactions between characters is so fucking boring

https://youtu.be/aMGQOX1zKdA

https://youtu.be/H2cQaxlDXkk

https://youtu.be/R43YHkYo31w

What do you want, anime bullshit like in X and XIII?
>>
I don't like FF12 at all. But in hindsight it did have more quality elements than the shit SE puts out now.
>>
>>377952460
>No game has done granular control/management of AI party members like FFXII.
Probably because it sucks dick.
>>
>>377957295

>HEY GUYS I'M THE LEADING MAN

Balthier was the leading man of story. Vaan was a false protaginist that lead to the main point of the story: the Dawn Shard.
>>
>>377947582
>but theirs literally plays itself

So exactly like FFXII?
>>
>>377965318
How so? In terms of managing group AI in an arpg, it's leagues above other games which consist of

>Attack
>Attack but conserve MP
>Defend
>Defend but conserve MP
>>
>>377965181
>here's three cherry-picked scenes from six hours of bland talking and dull story!

Fuck off
>>
>>377965596

Exactly.
>>
>>377965573
Found the faggot who never played FFXII
>>
File: FF12 XII opinions.jpg (450KB, 1412x1232px) Image search: [Google]
FF12 XII opinions.jpg
450KB, 1412x1232px
>>377943959
>>
File: Golden Age of Ivalice.png (1016KB, 1280x1596px) Image search: [Google]
Golden Age of Ivalice.png
1016KB, 1280x1596px
>>377964658
There's a Cataclysm that occurs years after XII's events that is the cause for magic to almost completely disappear, spoken of in Tactics' in-game lore. It's not exactly clearly specified or delineated what caused it, but it could have something to do with the Sun-Cryst's destruction. This loss of magic is the reason why airship technology was lost, as well as the knowledge of projectile weapons, since both were powered by magic during XII's time, and both are only being studied again during the Middle Ages of Ivalice, in Tactics.
>>
>>377965982
You're right, I didn't play it, because it played itself.
>>
FFXII plays itself so much I spent most of my time """playing""" it reading books while walking into enemy mobs with my toes.

inb4 WELL THEN TURN OFF GAMBITS HURR, the battle system feels shitty and uninvolving even if you decide to control it yourself.
>>
>>377965925
Even the more uneventful scenes are good, you just want animu fuckfaggotry melodrama and horridly written nonsensical bullshit like in most every other JRPG being and having been shit out.
>>
File: its a galactic kind of feel.jpg (28KB, 357x326px) Image search: [Google]
its a galactic kind of feel.jpg
28KB, 357x326px
>>377966065
>Matsuno probably intended to do another Ivalice game to explain the gap between events but now will never get the chance
>>
>>377965596
>In terms of managing group AI in an arpg, it's leagues above other games which consist of
Instead, it consists of:

>set gambit for attack nearest enemy
>set gambit for heal if under X%
>walk away and grab a sandwich since you no longer have to play the "game"
>>
>>377966247
How is that any different than holding down the stick and holding down the accept button on not only previous FFs, but pretty much almost every turn-based JRPG ever made? You can still totally play like that in XII, manually choosing an action every single time, but you'd rather complain about it because that means you and your shit taste are the problem, and not the game.
>>
>>377966470
>it consists of this way because I'm unable to conceive any other possible setup
I really don't get this argument. There's so many ways to play and setup the game, and people seek out the most boring and simplistic AI scripts they can think of and then blame the game for playing itself.
>>
>Game comes with demo disc of FF12
>Game is a billion times better than the demo or final version of FF12 and is actually the best JRPG on the system
>>
>>377966123
So you didn't put any thought into gambits? Dungeon puzzles?

Fuck off, fag.
>>
>>377966667
Phon Coast makes me feel nostalgic because of the demo disc.
>>
>>377966663
>people seek out the most boring and simplistic AI scripts they can think of and then blame the game for playing itself.
The game allows those scripts. Avoiding using gambits means that you're constantly being reminded that you're an idiot for not playing the game the best way possible.
>>
File: FFT2.jpg (33KB, 579x350px) Image search: [Google]
FFT2.jpg
33KB, 579x350px
>>377966378
Well https://twitter.com/YasumiMatsuno/status/85823470734290944
>>
File: 14876373941638.png (342KB, 638x478px) Image search: [Google]
14876373941638.png
342KB, 638x478px
>>377966786
>>
>>377966667
meh
>>
>>377966501
>>377966663
The problem is the combat system itself feels like a bad unfinished MMO, even if you choose your own actions it doesn't feel good or exciting to play.

Xenoblade Chronicles took the offline MMO concept only they made an actually fun game where you have to push buttons and move your character.
>>
>>377966772
There is no best way, don't you fucking get that? Is there a best way to play FFT? Of fucking course not. There's so many ways to go about beating the game, and so many other ways to utterly breaking the game, it's all up to you. It's not their fault you don't want to put any effort and are being an unimaginative fuck when it comes to that. You're so used to restrictions, when you're faced with a slew of gameplay options and player agency, you choose the simplest way, and then somehow believe the game is meant to be played that way. Why is this so hard to understand? Why do people prefer the borderline retarded damage system of X, or something like that?
>>
>>377966772
>the best way possible
How? Actually playing the game saves you hours of grinding compared to just auto-attack and heal vs everything.
>>
VOSSLER DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
I'M CAPTAIN BASCH!
>>
>>377952231
>No romance
why is that a bad thing? romance is a part of life, people aren't asexual eunuchs.
>no victory fanfare where the whole world worships the triumphant hero
i honestly don't really remember the endings of any of the other games but in 7 you pretty much save the earth and the game ends pretty much immediately after that, without much fanfare, just a bit of a glimpse into the future.
>you are but a small piece of history and the world is shaped by a lot of people different than you
if you literally save the world then it's no different than any other final fantasy game. having the hero's accomplishments go unacknowledged isn't that unusual in this kind of game (it's even a major plot point in FFT), the hero is usually not after glory in the first place (and jewish merchants still fucking nickle and dime you on your world saving quest)
>>
>>377967108
>it doesn't feel good or exciting to play
Explain the difference to me between choosing a spell from a menu in XII after making the game remember the last position the cursor was at and waiting for the spell to execute, and pressing the accept button in XBC after choosing a skill, carrying out the skill and then waiting for the skill to cool down.

Explain how you're not doing the exact same thing in a different order.
>>
>>377967189
>There is no best way
There is a best way. The best way to play any game or do anything is to do the most with the least work. Work smarter, not harder.

Setting up FF12 to play itself means you're doing far more with far less than if you actively played the game.

>>377967321
>Actually playing the game saves you hours of grinding compared to just auto-attack and heal vs everything.
Setting up FF12 to play itself saves you hours of your life that can be used to do other, more worthwhile things.

Putting FF12 on autoplay is actually a far better use of your very precious, limited time on this planet than actively playing through it.
>>
>>377967556
The sound design and visual design for one. Xenoblade gives a nice chunky feel when you use a move, FFXII everything just silently happens.

Xenoblade's moves almost all change based on your position, so maneuvering around the enemy constantly and managing aggro is an important part of the game, keeping you constantly actually manning the controller.
>>
>>377967447
>why is that a bad thing? romance is a part of life, people aren't asexual eunuchs.
>Hey suspiciously effeminate protagonist-senpai that I just met a few weeks at most, I love you.
>I love you too, conveniently available and similarly aged female sidekick desu!
>Lets unrealistically pour our hearts out and proclaim each other soulmates despite not knowing one another and have much important things to do like saving the world!
>Absolutely!

It would make it much more interesting if the romance was born from fucking in order to relieve oneself from the world saving stress. But the whole forced, purely emotional and empty "romances" of Final Fantasy is horrible. Look at Noctis, he "love" the princess despite barely knowing her. It's as if Japanese writers have no idea how romance work. You don't fall in love in a vacuum like that.
>>
>>377967793
>The best way to play any game or do anything is to do the most with the least work. Work smarter, not harder.
>just spam the overpowered skill/attack and plow through the game
That's such a boring view of video games, I have no idea why the fuck you even play them, man. I really hope you don't play games for the story.
>>
>>377967793
You mean setting the game up in a way that your characters run around in circles and somehow keep encountering enemies? Dunno if there's a place where that's possible but that sounds like an exploit more than anything. Although it's not surprising to know you have no self-restraint.
>>
File: 1494024867561.jpg (439KB, 1918x1910px) Image search: [Google]
1494024867561.jpg
439KB, 1918x1910px
Why is Fran's growth the worst of all the characters?
Also Basch's growth kinda sucks too
>>
>>377968059
>The sound design and visual design for one. Xenoblade gives a nice chunky feel when you use a move, FFXII everything just silently happens.

How long has it been since you played the game? You make it sound so lifeless, as if characters don't have realistic movements, as if the game didn't differentiate between weapons and how they would weigh and feel and change the attack animations accordingly, as if the game had weak collision animations and weak sounds and the controller didn't vibrate every time you landed an attack.

>so maneuvering around the enemy constantly and managing aggro is an important part of the game
That is also the case in XII though. There's enemy attacks that have a certain range, and spreading out your characters is essential if you don't want them all to be hit.
>>
>>377968218
>Look at Noctis, he "love" the princess despite barely knowing her.
that's the norm. what most people refer to as love is mostly lust at first and lust doesn't take long to develop. furthermore, the younger the characters are the more likely they are to make rash decisions based on their brand new "love" (see: romeo and juliet). really, you're imposing unfair standards just because they're videogames. most young people aren't interested in tales of love that has already matured, because then where's the story? it's already over by that point. a new love is exciting because it's uncertain and that's why it has storytelling potential and why it's the subject of most romance.
>>
File: fine squid.png (822KB, 1024x484px) Image search: [Google]
fine squid.png
822KB, 1024x484px
>>377968605
>Fran has bows as her signature weapon
>Balthier has guns
>their unique attack animations actually make them the worst at using those weapons since they attack slower than anyone else
>>
I just wish it was easier to chain stuff and the overall control of your party. I have to manually turn off my gambits and force them to attack stuff if i wanna chain, or resort to modifying all my gambits on my chars so they don't go off killing random stuff not on the chain list.

Also there should be a way to make stuff that you don't want to kill to stop chasing you for 1/4 of the map
>>
File: 1491198000926.png (266KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1491198000926.png
266KB, 665x574px
>>377968968
oh shit really? i started playing international zodiac and made fran a hunter and balthier a machinist just to give it a vanilla feel
>>
>>377963372
>I can't possibly understand
This website is powered by hyperbole
>>
>>377969174
made fran an archer **
>>
>>377968218
>It would make it much more interesting if the romance was born from fucking in order to relieve oneself from the world saving stress

Isn't that basically Balthier and Fran's relationship?
>>
>>377969174
It's true sadly, but it's not like he is a few seconds slower. It's just some frames. Forgot how many exactly.
>>
>>377967447
>romance is a part of life
speak for yourself
>>
>>377969545
>he doesn't have a waifu that he loves dearly
how do you even live?
>>
>>377969414
And that's what makes XII amazing. I always thought Balthier and Fran are fuck buddies but are adult/professional enough to not mention it every five seconds.
>>
File: 1478526873914.png (436KB, 487x495px) Image search: [Google]
1478526873914.png
436KB, 487x495px
>>377966667
I bought this because of the FF12 demo and now it's one of my favorite games of all time. Pretty awesome, although I still loved FF12.
>>
>>377959161
>run along not wanting to fight
>don't be a retard and hold the run away button for no weapon unsheath/sheath animation
Not being retarded isn't that hard
>>
>>377964309
>It's like watching old men discussing policy on a Sunday Morning talk show

So engaging and thought provoking? You ahve to be 18+ to post on 4chan kiddo.
>>
>>377966667
I like FF12 but I can't argue with this
>>
>>377943959
7 > 12 > 10 > 9 > 8

FACT.
>>
>>377966065
More likely the Great Crystal's destruction imo
>>
>>377970805
Yes, but we don't know how this happened anyways, it's all speculation at this point. The only thing we do know for certain is that the Cataclysm destroyed almost everything magic in Ivalice. The magic that exists in Vagrant Story's time is drawn from a pact with the Dark, which is the power of the Lucavi and the Espers you free in XII, who were referred to as the Dark Scions, created in opposition to Light Scions.
>>
>>377971460
Was it ever official that the Lucavi and Espers are the same entities, or is that just assumed since they share names?
>>
>>377972721
Yeah, they're officially Lucavi, that was the whole reason for reusing those names. The other ones that have the names of previous FF final bosses are just references, like the many there are in XII to previous games. And Shemhazai was a completely new one. Additionally, not every Esper becomes known as a Lucavi later on down, but Ashe and co. were definitely responsible for releasing them from the bonds the gods put them in.
>>
Here's a question for people who have beaten FF12: Do you have to use Vaan? I know you can have 3 people in your party in combat, but do I need Vaan there, or can I just always use 3 others once I start getting party members?

I don't want to be playing the game and near the end I have to use a character I wasn't really leveling up.
>>
>>377957656
I agree with this sentiment.
XB and XBX feel like a major evolution of this game.

Though ivalice is comfy as fuck and those airships were cool.
>>
>>377973693
Vaan is entirely optional. I had the same issue first time I played it, where I didn't want to get fucked over for not leveling the "main" character, but there's no need to worry.
>>
It was a bad Final Fantasy game; which makes it a good video game.

Something most FF fans aren't used to playing.
>>
>>377973693
Leveling isn't as important as LP, but you'll only have to use Vaan in certain parts, after that, you can play as any three characters you want. However, in towns and certain places, the default NPC will be Vaan. However, I'm not sure if one of the changes they implemented in XII HD is to be able to change which model to have while exploring towns.
>>
>>377973880
Alright, cool. Thanks

I was thinking of using Ashe/Basch/Fran probably.
>>
>>377973542
>but Ashe and co. were definitely responsible for releasing them from the bonds the gods put them in.

Brutal.
>>
>>377973926
IX is the epitome and quintessential Final Fantasy game, so I agree that it isn't exactly fully FF, specially since XII is first and foremost an Ivalice game.
>>
>>377974113
The Ivalice setting really should've been its own series from the onset.
>>
>>377966667
It's quite possibly the only franchise Square hasn't managed to fuck up royally. I think it's a combination of most of their executives being kids back when DQ3 hit shelves and their Japanese audience ready to lynch them if they change the formula at all.

>Bought out Taito and made them mobile devs
>Bought out Eidos and forced them to make shitty Deus Ex, Hitman, and Tomb Raider games; then canned all their projects when they didn't meet expectations
>Merged with Enix and fired most of their employees
>10 year delay for the second-worst Final Fantasy game to date

And through it all Dragon Quest somehow survived the brunt of the bullshit. It's amazing.
>>
>>377974574
>to make shitty Deus Ex, Hitman, and Tomb Raider games
And Thief too, unfortunately. I'm hoping they sell the IP to someone more competent, after they released the Hitman IP and IO
>>
>>377974761
>And Thief too, unfortunately

Wasn't that confirmed a false rumor?
>>
>>377943959

The short version is, the gameplay is amazing if you stay underleveled.

Everyone here grinds though.
>>
File: Thief_box_art.jpg (26KB, 307x323px) Image search: [Google]
Thief_box_art.jpg
26KB, 307x323px
>>377975161
What? I'm talking about Thi4f, the fucking shitmess squirted out of Eidos Montreal's asshole, though not by the same team that handled the latest Deus Ex games.
>>
>The Vaan was shoehorned in the last minute and replaced Basch as the protag myth still exists
>>
>>377975532
Oh I thought you were talking about the new one that was rumored to be in development.
>>
>>377975495
The best way to play is to make a team that does the sidequests and one just for going through the story.
>>
File: Final Fantasy Iris 3.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy Iris 3.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>377943959
>Why does nobody ever talk about Final Fantasy XII?

Because I don't want the game because I can't bang Iris.
>>
Probably because of that FUCKING part toward the end of the game where you're in that shitty city doing stupid fetch quests and it's impossible to figure out where anything is. Be prepared to spend about two hours bumbling around aimlessly talking to NPCs.
>>
>>377976672
You can complete that in just one area, you don't need to do them all, and the game tells you this. I thought, out of all the shit in FF 2, the keyword memorization feature is one of the cooler things to come out of it, and XII reused it there in, I thought, a fun way. You'll already talk to every NPC anyways, and if you don't, you're doing shit wrong.
>>
File: 1400039972285.jpg (35KB, 348x390px) Image search: [Google]
1400039972285.jpg
35KB, 348x390px
>>377977016

>implying I'm going to talk to the NPCs in a game that has a shit plot and a bland world
>>
>>377977161
>I like faggy animu melodrama bullshit so I find this game that is the complete opposite of that bland and boring
>>
>>377977286

I'd straight up rather have no story at all ala early NES and GB JRPGs than boring tripe like XII. 15 minutes of Metal Max Returns is mroe engaging than 80 hours of XII.
>>
>>377977569
Sure thing friendo
>>
>>377959049
She has no ass
>>
>>377978387
That picture isn't so good but in game its perfect, just the right size and shape, if you don't like it you must be a subhuman.
>>
>>377958117
none of the characters in ff7-10 were "chosen ones destined to defeat an ancient evil." cloud was just a common mercenary. squall was just a common mercenary. zidane was just a common thief. tidus was just a professional athlete. definitely getting my neurons firing there, friend
>>
>>377966065
Didn't the creators say that the XII ISN'T a prequel to Tactics and Vagrant Story?
>>
>>377979234
>zidane was just a common thief.

Not quite.
>>
File: image.png (161KB, 461x410px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
161KB, 461x410px
>>377959049
>flat earth ass is perfect
no
>>
>>377979252
We, the fans, know better
>>
>>377979350
it's been quite a few years since i played so i could be wrong, i honestly barely remember the story. it was supposed to be a throwback to the older games so maybe it's not surprising if he was some kind of destined hero
>>
>>377979252
No? It's placement as a distant prequel to Tactics has never been contested. And just to make it even clearer, that conversation from the War of the Lions version is specifically referring to the time where airships crowded the skies and magic was commonplace, or in other words, the time of FF XII.
>>
>>377979393
Dumb frog poster
>>
>Ripped off Star Wars wholesale
>Absolute BULLSHIT ultimate weapon requirements
>Protagonist is biggest faggot ever
>>
>>377979494
He was an alien test-tube baby super soldier thing just like Kuja
>>
>>377979393
>perfectly flat
>>
>>377979494
Not that guy, he's not really a destined hero, he's more of a destined villain who never became one, because he was created to bring war and strife to the planet the game takes place in.
>>
The only thing that really pisses me off about 12 is that it would've easily been twice as good as it turned out to be if Matsuno had actually gotten to make the game he wanted
>>
>>377951373
They've fucked with all the balancing.
>>
>>377953102
I beat the entire game + Yiazmat at level 75.
>>
I don't get why they don't buff bosses. The game is even easier with two jobs, at least they could buff Vayne. He was so easy that in vanilla 12 i was buffing him with Bravery/Haste/etc just to make him somewhat of a challenge
>>
>>377962653
I don't know how many hours in total I've spent with the camera ass-level behind her just watching her ass at walk speed. Best vidya faps ever.
>>
The Zodiac doesn't fix any of the problems in the original XII. What's the fucking point?

>Star Wars MacGuffin storyline
>Auto attack battle system
>Beserk, Haste, Bubble still the best way to win
>Spam Quickenings
>Story is still boring as shit
>No new party members
>Sidequests are still stupid need a guide bullshit
>no new content anywhere
>>
>>377944301
fpbp
>>
>>377943959
I really liked it, the focus on a grounded story, a big world with lots of combat and actual builds made it feel like the older ones
>>
>>377964010
What could they possibly do?

>Vaan is obviously going to be the Hume
>Balthier?
>Fran - Viera
>Ashe - Devil
>Penelo - Moogle?
>Basch - Seeq? Baanga?

This game desperately needed an additional 3 characters or so.
>>
Gambit system can get tedious and there arent enough options for support spells. The support spells are really good. But you have to change them up too often. I wish there were better options to do stuff like cure debuffs with esuna when there are multiple debuffs on you or use blindna instead of esuna when you are just blind.
Smarter gambit options would be completely welcome.
>>
>>377981184
At the very least offer a few non-hume guest characters. But you're right that the game really needed an expanded party.
>>
File: 1310246424001.jpg (45KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
1310246424001.jpg
45KB, 600x593px
>>377980508
They say they are making the game easier since ffags are retarded:

Final Fantasy 12 was a difficult game. Kato believes part of this was due to presenting a new approach to combat and exploration that fans of the series weren’t used to.

"One of the biggest challenges we faced in Final Fantasy 12 was to ditch the classic random encounter system that we had," he explained. "In other games, you would go into battle suddenly, whereas in Final Fantasy 12 you saw enemies as you moved through the field. It’s a real-time battle system. It was a big departure from the classic system."

Even within this new style, however, many players struggled to progress in Final Fantasy 12. In response to this, Square looked to more senior staff members for support.

"We actually got help from Hiroyuki Ito, who worked on the game design for previous Final Fantasy titles," Kato said. "We overhauled the game balance so that it would be easier for players — closer to the feel of a classic Final Fantasy title."
>>
>>377945240
By this point I think it could be considered a falseflag attempt.
>>
>>377944435
>Series known for changing it's fundamentals each entry
>Doesn't play like a Final Fantasy game
Nigga all you need is airships, chocobos, moogles and victory fanfare and you got a final fantasy.
That's why 13 is garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDXRNwyDrSw
Look at this garbage
>>
>>377974574
>Bought out Eidos and forced them to make shitty Deus Ex, Hitman, and Tomb Raider games
Human Revolution was about as good of a Deus Ex game as you could expect in this modern era of gaming. Nowhere near as amazing as the original, but not terrible.

Also, Hitman 2016 was fantastic.
>>
>>377954557
They literally chose Vaan over Basch because Vaan was safer and more generic. Vagrant Story had a seasoned badass instead of the standard JRPG teen and it didn't sell well.
>>
>>377943959
I have to agree with you, I never hear about it and I loved this game. I thought it was a joke when I first read about the remake for this year seeing how KH 2.8 is out now and FFXV along side this retarded long wait for 7 remake. Then gamestop confirmed it and I about lost my mind. Square Enix has been going hard.
>>
>>377981606
wow i was thinking of getting this on steam but you just convinced me not to
>>
>>377944435
FF was never good and I played 1 when it came out.
>>
>>377981395
>active party has been defeated
>you can still keep going
It's virtually impossible to get a game over unless you're out of MP, items, or have less than 4 party members.
None of which should happen after the beginning of the game. I love ff XII but it was probably the easiest I've played barring VIII.
>>
>>377969472
The difference seems negligible but over the course of a 100+ hour playthrough, when you consider how many times they'll be auto-attacking, it adds up to quite a bit of time wasted.

Doesn't make them unplayable as those Jobs, it's just suboptimal.
>>
>>377981763
Wrong, Vaan never replaced Basch.

>Vaan's early name was "Aqua" (アクア, as seen in Akihiko Yoshida's concept art) and intended to be an Iyashi kei character (癒し系, "therapeutic type", a kind of Japanese stock character). Vaan is known for going over several personality changes over the course of development, originally written as a rugged and world-worn character until the developers reconsidered the target demographic and Vaan was rewritten to be more effeminate. After Kouhei Takeda was cast as his voice, the developers rewrote Vaan to match the energetic personality his voice lent to the character.
>>
>>377981606
>That's why 13 is garbage.
I totally agree with you. The music is excellent though.
>>
>>377953539
You could also abuse the RNG to make it a 100% spawn.

I wonder if that'll be in the remaster.
>>
>>377976672
I did this part in Japanese in IZJS, it isn't that hard.
>>
>>377955114

Hell even Squall isn't really badass, he starts off as an angsty teenage bitch who can't pick up on the fact that Quistis wants to fuck his brains out.

He has the presentation of being a badass, but he's an emotional pansy.
>>
DON'T BELIEVE ONDORE'S LIES
>>
>>377981606

It sounds like a the menu screen of a sega game.
>>
>>377982159
I know, plus running away from anything is as easy as holding r2 and the movement stick
>>
File: 5a14cfcb54d9efd3dfd09415c6e1f674.png (651KB, 978x1200px) Image search: [Google]
5a14cfcb54d9efd3dfd09415c6e1f674.png
651KB, 978x1200px
>>377943959
Didn't really like the combat at all and it really put me off, despite liking the general premise and Ivalice a whole lot. I'll give it another try when the remaster hits, though.
>>
>>377982486
It totally sounds like the menu music in Sonic Mega Collection, holy shit
>>
>>377982506
Running away can still fuck you over.
>>
>>377984157
Hardly since everything has to charge to attack you AND be in range
If you got 3 people running they'll just target your other 2 party members and you can run safely
>>
>>377945737
They are though. In ATB only one action takes place at any one time, battle participants still take turns.

4-9 are not ROUND based like the first three but they absolutley are turn based.
>>
>>377955114
Cloud actually did. You don't learn he wasn't a supersoldier until later. At the start of the game he's the baddest of arses until proven otherwise.
>>
here's a pasta for ff12 that explains version differences, lists useful resources, tips, etc for people who want to get into the game

https://pastebin.com/snriCsws
>>
The one thing I won't miss about FF12 is how every single chest/vase/item container only has like a 10% at best chance of being something useful.
>>
>>377987284
>Knot of Rust obtained!
>>
I personally hate the game. Probably my least favorite main Final Fantasy game. I played through at least half of it, but liked almost nothing about it.
>>
>>377944435
How would you know? you never played it. Because it plays itself.
>>
File: file.png (44KB, 621x348px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
44KB, 621x348px
>>377979252

Matsuno said that VS isn't in Ivalice. It has been stated that FFT occurs chronologically after FF12.

https://twitter.com/YasumiMatsuno/status/85846703474872321

https://twitter.com/YasumiMatsuno/status/85824025993035776

The VS references in 12 are easter eggs.
>>
>>377987816
So if Oyasumi means good morning, does his name mean something related?
>>
>>377987937
Oyasumi is used for Good Night, literally meaning "the rest"
His name is just a name.
>>
>>377987937
No. You baka.
>>
>>377947357
>having all of your attacks pre-programmed (ie doing nothing) is better than pressing x
>>
>>377988230
Yes actually, because it frees you up to do more managerial things, like pausing the game to use a poultice on a petrified person or cast crowd control like sleepga.

Constantly spamming inputs for basic attacks is for autists
>>
>>377988213
gomenasai
>>
>>377987937
His name is 泰己. "Oyasumi" is お休み
>>
I just roll my eyes now whenever retards say "it's an MMO & it plays itself".

It's a beautiful and fantastic game to play for hours on end.
>>
>>377982486
oh fuck you nailed it

I do think the music is one of the only redeeming qualities of FF13 though
>>
>>377989643
I literally didn't press a button for the second half of the game. Even during the final boss, I pressed no buttons.
>>
>>377989950
>I pressed no buttons.
Then you never beat it, and you are retarded.
>>
>>377990119
How did I never beat it?
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.