[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many roguelikes did /v/ beat? Surely you beat them, right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: RL5.jpg (41KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
RL5.jpg
41KB, 1366x768px
How many roguelikes did /v/ beat?
Surely you beat them, right?

>Nethack
>DCSS
>>
>>377924375
I'm autistic, but I'm not THAT autistic.
>>
>>377924375
/v/ doesn't like procedurally generated games or anything with high RNG. They're too much of a fucking puss to just enjoy a game and have fun.
>>
Isaac, Spelunky, NT, and FTL.
>>
File: himgif45.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
himgif45.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>377924696
>>
NetHack, ADOM, ToME (both the original Middle-Earth one and ToME4), Rogue, some minor variants of said games, some games pretty much no one has heard of (like Erkki Saaressa)
>>
I wanted to beat nethack but I read it's almost impossible without spoilers so whats the point then?

I have only beat DCSS once
>>
>>377924696
Gottem
>>
>>377926038
Prestige, the fun in figuring out the game, the fun you have while playing (given the heavy amount of randomization, you don't exactly have to do same bit of content over and over again and the beginning is just as entertaining as endgame)

It's by no means impossible. The game is intuitive in that the developers really have taken pretty much everything into account and whatever you do has logical consequences, and there are in-game rumours for some of the more cryptic things you might have to do. Besides, beating the game takes judgement (veteran players can ascend almost every time, little luck and no grinding is involved), not just knowledge, so a roguelike rookie (without much know-how general to the genre) would likely spend tens to few hundred hours trying to beat it anyway even if they read through all spoilers and asked for help regularly in tough spots. So reading spoilers wouldn't save you from a ""problem"" of losing dozens of times until you make it.
>>
>>377924375
Only Izuna and Pokemon explorers of the sky.
>>
>>377924375
Fucking teleglitch. I can't get past like level 4
>>
I did 6 rune run in Stone Soup on GrEE, peeked my nose into Vestibule, received 95% damage right off the stairs, and noped the fuck outta here. Am I allowed to hang out with cool kids now?
>>
>>377924375

I've played many hours of Rogue and its derivatives, but I've never beaten one. I can't imagine how lucky you'd have to get to do that.
>>
>>377924375
what was the one with all the banana related shit? I beat that one a few months ago.
>>
>>377929343
IVAN
>>
>>377929432
thats the one. Incredibly short, but it's okay.
>>
I haven't ever beaten a roguelike. The closest I ever got was nuking a zombie-filled shithole of a city in Cataclysm DDA and committing suicide afterwards.
>>
>>377929173
Depending on the game, not very lucky at all. Take a look at this NetHack ascension streak list for example: https://alt.org/nethack/ascstreak.html

People have won as many as 29 games in row, and if you take a further look at how the games played out, they were ~20k-30k turns and <10h in-game time so those ascensions clearly didn't involve any sort of super-conservative grinding either but just continuing down the dungeon and overcoming challenges with good judgement.
>>
>>377924375
I beat DCSS without cheating and dared telling about it in the thread. Then everyone went apeshit on me for not playing in their online crap and "proofing" it.
>>
No, but I like to play them. Too bad I'm a shitter and will probably never beat one of these games, I really like the flexibility you get in character creation and the unique mechanics like singing in Sil.
>>
>>377924375
none
i don't have patience to replay it 100 times
>>
I've been alternating between Nethack and DCSS, with a bit of pixel dungeon whenever I don't feel like being at my computer. I've played these games on and off for a while, but holy shit am I not good at them. After kicking off the rust in Nethack I can just about get past the fifth floor consistently. My best run in DCSS was a berserker that randomly found a +5 enchanted sword of dick-kicking and a plentiful supply of spellbooks (see: landmines) so that was mostly by the RNG's good graces.

I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing or if I just need to play them more consistently until I acquire proficiency.
>>
>>377929908
Don't you have a screenshot/log of that?
>>
>>377930259
It didn't count because it's not on server.
Like I would spend few days "forging" MiBe vctory log to proof something to anonymous imageboard.
Just telling you how autistic is the roguelike community.
>>
File: 1464199749986.jpg (58KB, 514x524px) Image search: [Google]
1464199749986.jpg
58KB, 514x524px
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon!
Elona!
Maiden Snow Eve!
>>
>>377924375
My favored one doesn't really have an end...
>>
i only finished DCSS as demonspawn of cheibrados
getting proper mutations and and having chei stat bonuses turns you into a fucking freight train.
>>
>>377931078
In current DCSS, you are supposed to drink all potion of mutation you find. No cure mut pots anymore.
>>
>>377924375
what do you mean by beating?
If it's just finishing a run then, too much
>>
File: 1493845534348.png (175KB, 800x741px) Image search: [Google]
1493845534348.png
175KB, 800x741px
>>377924375
I can't get into roguelikes. It's not the graphics that turn me off, it just always feels like I'm diving into some huge, deep game that would take years to fully get the hang of and I haven't made that commitment.
There are some dungeon crawlers that I wouldn't call roguelikes that I've beaten, like PMD, but true roguelikes are just beyond what I can do.
>>
>>377932635
Multiple posters in this thread have mentioned they haven't beaten any of them, and yet appear to be fans. In some games you're not even expected to beat them, really, but that doesn't make them less enjoyable.
>>
>>377932635
DCSS is shallow as fuck
>>
>>377932635
There are a lot of simpler roguelikes, brogue is a good one that I'd recommend. The fun isn't so much about mastering it and completing runs near 100% consistently so much as it is the progression of doing a bit better each time.
>>
>>377926038
The entire point of Nethack is figuring out the spoilers for yourself.
>>
Last Mission.
>>
>>377932635
Don't be stupid, it's just a videogame. Read up on wikia and you can start making okay runs within several weeks.
>>
>>377932635
I'm fine with the sorta bullshit learning curve of having to memorize situations and how to deal with items and abilities through sheer trial and error. Fans even recommend you cheat and use a strategy guide. That's dumb but whatever, I just don't find them fun to play. The combat's so shallow and boring. One simply walks their dude into the enemy. There's no feeling at all. It's just numbers. Give me some actual gameplay to back up the big world of items and monsters and maybe it would be something worthwhile. As is it's just D&D without the roleplaying.
>>
>>377934221
>One simply walks their dude into the enemy.
I take it you played for all of 10 minutes?
>>
>>377934221
If you're complaining about the combat being shallow I don't think you understand what people like about it. It's not the basic "walk into monster to hit" combat that's fun, it's stuff like figuring out how you're going to worm your way out of a monster gangbang with an assortment of random bullshit and your wits.
>>
File: 66sdddd.jpg (6KB, 400x92px) Image search: [Google]
66sdddd.jpg
6KB, 400x92px
>>377934221
*walks into your path*
>>
>>377935052
How to survive when SHTF is done better in action roguelikes where luck determines layouts and spawns but not your actions. This gives games a very hands-on and reliable feel. Games where you can lose no matter how perfectly you play (due to things like roll-to-hit) aren't fun to me. It has nothing to do with games being turn based. There's little randomness in Worms and Chess. Those games are magnificent.
>>
I survived the entire Vault.5 with MiBe after alerting the entire level and getting floor-locked, killed Royal Jelly with 1 HP left and got INT drained to 0 in Crypt, all in single game, before winning. AMA.
>>
Not really a game you beat but Cataclysm DDA I guess? I ended up pretty much unstoppable when I stopped playing.

Last I checked though I feel there's way too much fucking wildlife everywhere. Like seriously I kept bumping into swarms of the fuckers everywhere, packs dogs in particular.
>>
>>377935770
>Games where you can lose no matter how perfectly you play (due to things like roll-to-hit) aren't fun to me.
In the ones I've played, if you die due to a single to-hit dice roll not going your way then chances are you fucked up pretty badly somewhere along the line. Not to say that RNG will never fuck you over in these games, especially early on, but I'm guessing you haven't played a lot of actual roguelikes.
>>
>>377935770
>perfectly
Any good RL player would tell you that majority of failed runs are YASDs. You NEVER play perfectly. You're just upset because the game won't let you roll to safety like muh Souls games
>>
>>377936435
>>377936507
Do you understand what "perfectly" means? Do you think I'm perfect?
No matter how good one can play, they can be unlucky enough to eat twenty bad rolls in a row with no possible recourse. Yes. This is not another stupid death. This is a statistical possibility of the game design.
Do you understand what I'm trying to say to you? Do I have to explain it again?
>>
>>377930981
which mystery dungeon?
>>
I CAN'T BEAT I.V.A.N.X
THAT FUCKING SCREAMING KEK KEEPS FUCKING WITH ME
GODDAMN IT
>>
>>377936769
You can be the best writer in the world and never get published
You can be the entrepreneurship genius and go broke
You can have 10 inch cock and never get laid
Roguelikes follow the same philosophy. Your job is to do the best you can and proceed as far as you could, but you need a dash of luck to pull it through the end.
>>
>>377929727
thank you for reminding me about that game, i played it briefly a few months ago and forgot about it. will give it another whirl
>>
>>377924375
15 runes in DCSS, only other one I have played is ToME4, in which I have gotten close (I think) but keep getting my casters fearscaped
>>
>>377936769
Yes, RNG can shit all over you. It's a thing that happens in any rpg that isn't action-focused, and it can sting even more in roguelikes. The point is that you have to deal with it as it happens and make decisions based on it. I've had my fair share of deaths due to RNG (oops looks like you didn't see that poison trap right next to you that you searched for five turns in a row, might as well reroll now faggot), but the vast, overwhelming majority of times I've died it was clearly my own fault. If you really do play most roguelikes "perfectly" then you'll probably have upwards of a 75% clear rate.
>>
>>377937279
"The best" and "genius" and "10 inches" are not the same as perfection. I'm talking about TAS levels of theoretical perfect play being blocked out because of luck. The games require "a dash of luck" because no player is perfect. Every death you can think "well, if I did that this way, I could've..." except the way these games are designed, there will be situations (again, theoretical, philosophical, I am not referring to anecdotes) where the game becomes unwinnable even with no mistakes made. Even if you could rewind and change decisions, if the roll-to-hit had it out for you, it's a game over.
That's bad. That's not the same thing as getting a very unlucky situation and dying, that's getting an impossible situation.
Thus, games without roll-to-hit are a bit more fair, which make a game of hard odds, tough breaks, and lucky streaks a lot more satisfying, rewarding, interesting, and fun.
>>
>>377924375
>Brogue
>DCSS
>Incursion
>DooMRL
>several 7DRLs or equivalent
>>
2 wins in dcss
5rune mifi oka
3rune merfolk gladiator oka

1 win in doomrl on hurt me plenty
can't remember what build, was either shotgun or chaingun
>>
>>377927939
>Gr

Babby tier. Although getting 95% damage as a Gr is pretty common because you have so few HP.
>>
>>377938076
Agree to disagree. The inherent randomness is what makes roguelikes fun for many people. The classic scenario of going down the stairs only to find yourself face to face with some orge that immediately clubs you to death is what fills every turn with excitement. I think modern AAA-games suffer greatly from the fact that people kind of came to expect beating them. Challenges hardly matter because the game with cozily spawn you 5 meter earlier and let you go at it one more time. In a roguelike game you never know, you could get shrekt now, or 10 hours into the game, with incredibly careful play and hundreds of colltected items going to waste because of one dumb move.
>>
>>377924375
I beat elona+ part 1
>>
DCSS: DDHu, 4 runes

After that started playing mostly Chaos Knights and never won again.
>>
>>377924696
>no RoR
-_-
>>
>>377941481
sorry ^_^;
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.