[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what does /v/ think aboot arcanum? do you agree that it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: 1297190921.jpg (20KB, 200x248px) Image search: [Google]
1297190921.jpg
20KB, 200x248px
what does /v/ think aboot arcanum? do you agree that it's one of the most underrated games ever?
>>
>>377821191
How the fuck is it underrated?
>>
File: ArcanumScores.png (18KB, 275x409px) Image search: [Google]
ArcanumScores.png
18KB, 275x409px
>>377821191
Here, to prove my point in >>377821320 have some actual numbers.
>>
>>377821441
224 steam reviews
>>
>>377821637
>224 steam reviews
What are you saying? This is not enough for you to make up your mind?
I still don't understand how people can say Arcanum is underrated. It's like saying that Blood is underrated or that Rock And Roll Racing is underrated.
>>
It's really not underrated. The old cRPGs don't mean much to most younger gamers anymore but Arcanum is still widely considered one of the best by anyone who played them.
>>
>>377821191
>most underrated games ever
It is old. Over 15 years old. Most people on /v/ aren't grown up enough to play this and understand it.
>>
>>377822098
well i'm kinda pissed because:
first playthrou: dropped plot essential item
secoun playthrou: corrupted saves
>>
>>377821191

It has literally never been underrated, not even since the day of it's release.

It's always been heralded as one of the buggiest, most unfinished and poorly balanced CRPG's in existence, but one of, if not the best examples of the genre.
>>
>>377821191
sure it's underrated but it's also really broken.
still i love most parts of the game, last third or so is a lot weaker though
>>
>>377821637
This has been out for decades and only recently on steam
>>
>>377821191
sad part about arcanum (and ps:t for that matter) is that it's sort of a niche game. not that many know of it, but those who do usually like it a lot.
>>
>>377821191
waiting for the EE remaster by the glorious beamdoggies
>>
love the world, love the characters, love the music

but god dammit if it doesn't have atrocious gameplay
>>
>>377821191
It's my favorite WRPG. I've played through it maybe 30 times in various builds
>>
New Arcanum when
>>
>>377824171
sadly i would have to guess never.
>>377822898
have you prepared your anus or just gonna take it raw?
>>
>>377824331
I'm already prepare to blind me myself
>>
File: 0ce (1).png (112KB, 397x277px) Image search: [Google]
0ce (1).png
112KB, 397x277px
I like it better than Fallout 2.
>>
>>377821441
>games journalism

You might as well post reviews of a Wu-Tang album from the KKK
>>
>>377824331
>sadly i would have to guess never.
Seems weird, the whole "Magic vs Tech" setting seems lucrative af desu
>>
It's not underrated. Personally, I think that it could very well be the best CRPG ever made. I don't see anyone being able to top it in the near future.
>>
Still listening to OST sometimes. Why string quartet so rarely used in games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHLAcd14b4
>>
It's insanely broken. But I can't help but to admire how good the RPG elements and the settings are.

Like: mechanically it's such a mess that it can't be just easily ignored. It's actually way worse than say, VtMB. But... the writing is amazing and the build-relevance is amazing and there is a lot of content and some amazingly well set up quest-lines and a lot of reactivity and so on and so forth.

But it IS broken. It is so broken that it sadly makes it hard to play for most people. And it's not like Fallout 1/2 where things can be fixed with a simple patch: Arcanum is broken in some of it's most fundamental mechanics.
>>
>>377825163
It's nice to see person of fine taste.
>>
>>377824883
What would convince you this game isn't underrated at all?
>>
File: Hogre_st1.png (45KB, 180x247px) Image search: [Google]
Hogre_st1.png
45KB, 180x247px
Give me tips please, first time player here. Is it a dumb idea to start with a stupid character? Want to play half-ogre, idiot-run. Should I go for savant for some tech or full brute strength?
>>
>>377821191

Its not underrated. Just buggy for me, the pirate quest to whatever island fucked up for me. Couldn't get the bullshit the ghost pirates wanted and they were 2 stronk to fight. But all in all I fondly place it in my nostalgia library.

Its no BG, Plane Scape or even Nox (thats a true underrated classic) but its decent.
>>
>>377825235
I agree. The way some of the quests were handled was quite great. Like that quest where you had to find a stolen painting in Tarant. One way of knowing where it is is to do a quest involving a gypsy, and she'll tell you the location via her crystal ball. Got the painting and returned to the owner for a reward.

On a new playthrough however, I went straight for the painting without talking to the quest-giver and handed it to her for the reward. Seconds later I get my ass kicked by her half-ogre bodyguard after she accused me of being a thief.

10/10
>>
>>377824890
yes, it was a really cool setting but i doubt arcanum 2 will ever be made. really wish they would make it though, not sure how they could do it, at least in a way that has anything to do with arcanum (apart from the world)
>>
It's actually quite amazing that this game has all this great writing and amazing little details (like diary notes changing depending on how retarded are you). But game is fundamentally unfinished broken mess.

But today games look nice, smell nice, fart nice. But writing is just garbage, who even writes that stuff. I literally can't play Divinity without banging my head and thinking this is something I would write as a fanfic.

Fucking, imagine a game that plays like Divinity and reads like Arcanum.
>>
>>377826391
and d:os is still one of the best new rpg's.
that's imo saying something about the quality of games.
>>
>>377825441
I wouldn't recommend going full retard as a first playthrough, you'll probably enjoy it more after a first one and see the quests that give the impression that they are impossible to solve as a retard only to then find how to complete them in your retard run, that way you'll see how well the quests were made to be able to be completed with a good range of different builds.
>>
>>377825441
Tech on your first run is not advisable.
Retarded ogre punchbeast works fine but I'm not sure I'd suggest a retard run on the first try either.
>>
>>377826391
what i meant to say in >>377826856 is that it's one of the best written new rpg's, not just as a new rpg
>>
>>377827049
>>377827067
I feared that, but thanks anyway. What about another power fantasy: if I make a highly charismatic, good-looking guy, how many girls can I fuck?
>>
>>377827067
iirc i got my ass handed to me on my first try, i went for a tech guy and i'm pretty sure i got killed by either the first guy near the wreck or the guys at the gate when leaving the first town.
needless to say, i made a new character which was a lot easier
>>
>>377822943
This sums up just about every single CRPG ever made.
>>
>>377827634
really?
care to elaborate on that? name specific things too.
what exactly was wrong with baldur's gates,planescape torments and fallout 2's gameplays?
>inb4 "combat was bad" without saying anything about what was wrong about it
>>
cool premise, world and fantastic music, the gameplay itself is meh. playing a mage is too easy while playing as a gunslinger is suffering. also dog is fucking overpowered. still love it however
>>
>>377821191
Trash game with terrible gameplay and aesthetics. Holy shit i hate people who overrated shitty rpgs like this.
>>
>>377827254
>how many girls can I fuck?
I don't think any of the fucking was charisma based as most of the ones you can fuck are hookers.
>>
>>377821191
>do you agree that it's one of the most underrated games ever?
i agree
>>
>>377828714
Well fuck it, I try this and make it my personal mission.
>>
>>377825635
>Nox

My fucking man. Truly a lost gem, and it was just fun as hell to play.
>>
File: 1443335425624.png (197KB, 486x500px) Image search: [Google]
1443335425624.png
197KB, 486x500px
>>377821637
>Steam
>Arcanum came out in 2001
I can't believe it! I mean, you and the... the Zeppelin, and... ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.