[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember that voice actor strike? Turns out they are making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: sa_logo_1200x630_v1_0.png (20KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
sa_logo_1200x630_v1_0.png
20KB, 1200x630px
Remember that voice actor strike?
Turns out they are making some progress, certain developers are agreeing to pay them royalties now.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-23-game-companies-are-agreeing-to-strike-terms-say-screen-actors-guild

What do you think?
Is voice acting important in video games?
>>
No, not at all.
>>
>>377815327
Not really. I'm glad this strike is happening, though, because it means we might get some new VAs coming in who don't give a fuck about the union.
>>
>>377816564
But if actors are important to movies then shouldn't the same thing happen in video games?

The big AAA games are pretty much just trying to be movies after all.
>>
>>377817015
We've already seen a definite shift in the cast used by smaller studios. Just look at the Persona 5 dub:
Matt Mercer and the literal who's?
>>
I hope more games in the future are focused more on gameplay and style over graphics and being cinematic. Cinematic bullshit is cancer, and so are these VAs.
>>
>>377815327
No.

>>377817016
see>>377817165
>>
>>377817165
I don't think it's impossible for both types of games to exist side by side.
>>
Why did all the big-name VAs start turning into such fucking divas?
>>
Can't wait to see games pulled off digital storefronts in the future due to further licensing issues that aren't related to music.
>>
>>377817124
Thank god, too. P5's dub was pretty decent, even if the english writing was iffy at times. Puyo Puyo Tetris's dub was gold, too.
Too bad nobody knows who voiced Oshare Bones in Puy Puyo Fever's dub, though, since he'd be incredible to have back if Oshare ever became playable again.
>>
>>377817347
Nolan North was pretty cool about it at the time despite being the most popular actor.

He said if anyone should get royalties it ought to be the programmers.
>>
I'm all for paying royalties to voice actors if they started giving royalties to the guy who has to sleep under his desk for 2 months so he can fix the lighting on Donkey Kong's dickhair before middle management docks him his nutrient nuggets.
>>
File: 519555410.jpg (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
519555410.jpg
20KB, 640x480px
>>377815327
Out of all the reasonable demands, the one nonreasonable was accepted? Like, giving royalties to VAs instead of any other person working on the project is beyond retarded. What in the literal fuck.
>>
>>377815327
Wow
>>
>>377817412
I can see all sorts of nightmarish red tape for this.
>dev/publisher goes under
>new company buys IP
>they try to re-release the games on digital stores, but have to go through all sorts of hoops trying to gather the original VAs
just think about the far future when some of them move on to new careers or die.
>>
>>377815327
I would be happier if they took the money from VAs and just paid the programmers more.

I can read subtitles for every game
>>
File: 1491583617377.jpg (170KB, 526x487px) Image search: [Google]
1491583617377.jpg
170KB, 526x487px
I still think the best result out of all of this is that small localization studios or even companies like Atlus become forced to provide dual audio or JP only for inability to get good English voice actors.
>>
>>377815327
Whats next? MOCAP celebrities asking the same? Of course publishers will just hike up the price of videogames.

I'll just keep playing Dota, which has great voice acting) and buying games for $5 during sales.
>>
>>377817604
This. I hope we get a list of devs/pubs who are supporting this so I can ignore their games
>>
>>377817412
>>377817986
I don't get this, Isn't all of this modular? Why not just replace the songs in Alan Wake, why not just open a Steam Workshop amateur voice acting stuff?
>>
>>377818649
Because people bitch if something changes.
>>
Voice everything with Vocaloid or similar, offer Voice Acting Packs as DLC and see how much people care.
>>
>>377818779
Rockstar pulled half the songs from GTA:SA on Steam because of licencing.
People only complained a little.
>>
>>377818825
Honestly if I could get a 20% discount by not paying for voice acting I'd do that.
Reading isn't hard.
>>
They should go back to making everything text-only like in the cartridge era.
>>
I support unions as a matter of principle, so I'm happy that they've won - without unions, the working man has no leverage against his employers.

Also, Red Orchestra 2 shows how important VAs can be, when compared to Rising Storm 2.
>>
>>377818865
People complained a lot since they forced the update on all pre-existing owners of the game.
>>
Japanese games are the only ones with acceptable voice acting and that's probably because they're literally anime, all the voice acting in vidya in any other language is maximum cringe.
>>
>>377817015
Breath of the Wild. Eating crow now, huh?
>>
File: 1478537098071.jpg (197KB, 970x854px) Image search: [Google]
1478537098071.jpg
197KB, 970x854px
>this is the best english language VAs can do
>they think they deserve to be paid
Fucking disgusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hueYvDAjUO4#t=8s
>>
>>377817165
Yeah, gameplay is important. Which is why developers should focus on getting a stable framerate at your display's refresh rate out of dogshit awful console hardware, because you should actually be able to play a game and interact with it instead of just mashing buttons at a slideshow and hoping.
>>
fuck giving in to pay royalties
>>
>>377819302
I'd rather have new, inexperienced VAs than the same five fucking people.
Besides, Revali's VA was actually okay, and Urbosa's was outright good.
>>
>>377815327
I think it looks like a good reference for which game companies to boycott/pirate if they're giving into voice actor's ridiculous demands
>>
why do they deserve royalties over anyone else who works on a game when voice acting is such a small part of a lot of western games these days? do producers/composers/etc get royalties over any non licensed game music? what about programmers? 3d modelers? etc?
>>
>>377819112
this whole post is reddit as fuck
>>
>Steve Blum has a monopoly on everything
>TotalBiscuit makes announcer packs for a living
>Sean Chiplock shilling on /v/
These madmen need to be stopped.
>>
>>377819815

Don't punch down, punch up. Don't be mad that other workers are getting treated fairly by their boss, get mad at the boss for not giving the same to you and organize.

>>377819864
Right, reddit's a big hub of leftist ideology.
the correct slur-website was tumblr, you dumb /pol/ fuck
>>
>>377819567
Zelda was the only stinker
Mipha was borderline bad but it's not the worst
>>
>Is voice acting important in video games?
Nowhere near as important as programmers, who still just get salary, but noone should be surprised that actors act like entitled children.
>>
>>377819978
>>>reddit
or this is just bait. either way fuck off
>>
i bet troy baker started this all, when he started being a bitch for games letting them use his likeness and terrible voice acting skills
>>
>>377820090

Not bait, cunt. I've been here for years. Can't wait for the inevitable swing back to the left, although I'm not sure how bad your boy needs to embarrass himself before you all pretend you never supported him in the first place.
>>
>>377815327
>Is voice acting important in video games?
less important than programming, modeling, animating, etc ,etc
>>
File: 1409295817414.jpg (149KB, 500x555px) Image search: [Google]
1409295817414.jpg
149KB, 500x555px
>>377820281
again,
>>>reddit
3/10 for getting me to reply to your shitpost
>>
>>377820468

>reddit
>left

You're still getting it wrong, cunt. Apply yourself.
>>
>royalties
Fuck off niggers. The developers don't get royalties and are a thousand times more talented than you voicehacktors will ever be. They also work way fucking harder and for longer on the product.

Seriously, just fuck off.
>>
>>377820834
see
>>377819978
>>
I hope this backfires and they aren't making anything at all as many games are not turning a profit.
>>
>>377820961
I just see a reddit post begging for upboats.
>>
>>377819567
He's a real shitposter though.
https://soundcloud.com/anime_sonicmega/does-valimar-is-gay
>>
>>377820961
No, fuck off with that shit. Everyone else is either getting treated fairly or is just somewhat underpaid. Nobody deserves royalties for this kind of work, and the VAs get paid like shit because they barely do any work at all compared to everyone else.

Voice acting does not require some incredibly long investment in training, it is not a rare skill nor does it require that much talent. So if you don't need to put in long hours and your skills aren't scarce, why the fuck should you get paid a lot?

But these idiots will get what's coming to them. They are not valuable. They'll be replaced by younger, lesser known voice actors and they'll go from getting little pay to getting none at all.

Go get a real job.
>>
>>377819895
>TotalBiscuit

I don't even listen to him but since hes going to die I guess it'd be nice to have a Dota 2 announcer for the fans.

I fucking love the Defense Grid announcer I wish itd be more developed.
>>
Is it time for another shitty VA shill thread that wont hit the limit because none gives a fuck about these hacks?
>They're totally giving in to our demands guys
Prove it, give me a list so I can refund their games.
>>
>>377820834
Try shouting into a mic for 3 hours, sometimes screaming.

Then say it's easier than typing for 12 hours.
>>
>They've offered a full day's wage for every two million units a game sells, up to four payments at eight million sales.
lmao
>>
>>377817124
P5's dub was ok I guess aside from Haru.
>>
>>377821578
>typing
You've got to be fucking kidding me. How about you learn a real skill? Do you think they'd pay engineers out the asshole if it was just "typing for a bunch of hours"?

If voice actors had any actual worth they wouldn't need a strike.
>>
File: 1491936724809.jpg (75KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
1491936724809.jpg
75KB, 728x546px
>>377821612
The voice acting was great across the board but the direction was quite bad and the writing could have used a few more passes before going final.
>>
>>377821371
>Everyone else is either getting treated fairly or is just somewhat underpaid.

>programmers are literally worked to the bone and discarded at most major video game corporations

>programmers don't need a union
>>
Speaking of quality acting - I'm trying to think of games with good voice acting done by the developers who worked on the title but I'm not coming up with a lot.
Blizzard games, Thief, System Shock 2, Deus Ex and a few Command & Conquers come to mind. Does anyone have more examples?
>>
File: CvOAA1RWAAAgKp-.jpg (17KB, 469x478px) Image search: [Google]
CvOAA1RWAAAgKp-.jpg
17KB, 469x478px
Guys I'm nervous, I don't want to pay more for videogames or wait even more for them to hit bargain bin prices.
>>
Fairness is important, but this isn't going to magically make voice acting better. If anything, it might get worse now because they're going to skimp on voice budgets in other ways to compensate for the royalties.
>>
I'm just listening to some dota 2 voice lines now, I really like the work they did but a lot of what makes these great characters memorable are what they say. Are the writers in house? Do the voice actors write their own stuff? Do they offer their own studios and fancy equipment?
>>
>>377821842
If you are subjecting yourself to that treatment as a programmer you are a fucking retard. I'm a barely senior computer engineer working in software and there are so many god damn high quality job offers I can barely believe it.
>>
Which companies?
>>
Good to know a couple of people saying words someone else wrote will always get more respect and pay than the people actually creating the games.
>>
>>377824774
>If you are subjecting yourself to that treatment as a programmer you are a fucking retard.

Most are new. And besides, they provide a product we want to buy, they work a job we deem worthy of existing, and they should therefore be treated with respect. Hell, they're humans, and therefore they should be treated with respect - that means fair working hours and pay, and that, you can only be assured of with a union.
>>
>>377815327
>Haven't revealed which companies
Because it was bumfuck nothing companies that agreed to it. Whatever walking simulator steam greenlight trash they were making would never reach 1 million sales.
>>
>>377818225
>inability to get good English voice actors.
That's been a problem for several decades now.
>>
The only good thing to come from this is less VA's in games.
>>
>>377815327
No and no so fuck off back to plebbit with these shit threads
>>
>>377831545
>most of them are dead or are stuck in Western games/non game media
>>
>>377824774
AAA game studios are different, they often have shit conditions with a high turnover rate seeing everyone wants to be a game developer

also

>They've offered a full day's wage for every two million units a game sells
you all realize that's fucking nothing right
>>
>>377817986
This is already happening re: Japanese music companies and western game releases
Can you imagine a time where they are unable to convince the estate of the original VA to re-license their voice and end up casting non-union schlubs for the definitive edition?
>>
Voice actors and unions are cancer
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.