[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Already made this exact post on /b/ but got hardly any response.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: Never_Asked_For_This.jpg (153KB, 1024x746px) Image search: [Google]
Never_Asked_For_This.jpg
153KB, 1024x746px
Already made this exact post on /b/ but got hardly any response. Doing it here instead

How do you feel about the possibility of mechanical augmentations becoming a reality within our life times?

>Psychologists have found ways to translate a brains activity into an understandable language
>This brain activity can potentially be translated into a language computers can understand, allowing for mental control of robotics

Think about it. An eye prosthetic, sending information to a device on the visual cortex, stimulating it to produce an image and allowing the person to see. Or a device translating activity from the primary motor cortex and using that information to control an arm prosthetic

Of course, each person's mind will work differently, so translation of each persons brain will be difficult, but this technology is within our reach. What do you guys think?
>>
>/b/

Kill yourself.
>>
>>377809616
I'm sure we can create an augmentation to help me do that
>>
>>377809258
It's going to be an amazing advancement that will help all of humanity. At first. If the tech ever gets cheap and popular to the point where people are willingly parting with limbs to get mecha'd it quickly becomes a huge destabilizing force. People who are auged will have every advantage to those who are not, and certain industries will begin hiring augs only because why pay someone who can lift 1/4 of an Aug and pay him the same? Essentially a lot of unskilled labor jobs (maybe even military) become unreachable for the average person leading to an even larger class disparity.
And lets not even start with all the bullshit the corporations would pull. "unfortunately, you are using the old model which is no longer supported, you have to buy the latest one to get help." there's also no your augs wouldn't spy on you for the nsa/targeted advertising. Maybe we'll have arms with a little ad screen directly on the wrist? But good luck when your mechanical leg hears you joking about 9/11 and flags you as a terror suspect, puts you on the no fly list, and calls the fbi to raid your house.
>>
File: sarcos-exoskeleton_800_613_80.jpg (117KB, 800x613px) Image search: [Google]
sarcos-exoskeleton_800_613_80.jpg
117KB, 800x613px
>>377810204
It would be vastly easier to interface a human body or mind with a powerful exoskeleton system then it would be to upgrade biological bone, muscle, joints and ligaments
>>
>>377809258

dude, we already have mechanical limbs, there's the usa guy who came back from gulf war II with his buddies and started and engineering firm, they made one of their friends who came back minus a leg an robot leg that is hooked up to his nervous system and works like a normal leg.

>it just cost them >300 k USD to make ONE leg though.

There's that old guy with the robo hand that reads his impulses, he's a gook though. then there's some old white guy with a cyber arm, you should have seen him playing catach in recent threads on /v/ and /b/. there's also a little girl with a cyber forearm
>>
>>377809258
It will be reserved to ultra rich which will then finally make reality the old stories of ruling class being Übermenschen / Gods
>>
>>377809258
Insurance companies would never cover it. Most of the ten year olds you see with those Nike limbs were the result of the parents paying out the wazoo in addition to local fundraisers.
>>
File: 1466696486111.png (119KB, 225x227px) Image search: [Google]
1466696486111.png
119KB, 225x227px
>>377809258
If the human race is to move beyond our homeworld and to other celestial bodies, it should be common sense that we would need more mechanized bodies. Flesh is weak, and human anatomy wasn't made to live beyond 100 or even just 50 years old. Organs fail and muscles atrophy, and in space that process is only expedited. People might think that they like their limbs and insides, but those things will eventually turn on you as you get older. Only through metal can we ascend and expand our influence through both the solar system and the galaxy.
>>
>>377809258
It'll get out of hand if we leave it to the free market, which is a point I thought DXHR handled pretty nicely until the ending
>>
File: 1493739657284.png (599KB, 600x542px) Image search: [Google]
1493739657284.png
599KB, 600x542px
>>377809258
>tfw i would replace my dick with a 3 headed mechanical hydra that do optimus prime like sounds when it gets hard
>>
>>377809258
>How do you feel about the possibility of mechanical augmentations becoming a reality within our life times?
There's none. Not for the kind of augmentation random /v/tard would imagine as an upgrade.

If you actually stop sperging out about sci-fi with cyborgs and read a few research papers or even PR versions of them released for the masses you'll notice that we're not very good at connecting hardware to wetware yet.
There are some neat (but very basic) moving limbs, even eye 'replacements' that allow blind people to perceive light or very simple shapes but we're nowhere near the cyborg tech anyone who's not a complete cripple would even consider using.

Sure it's one of those things that will only get better with time but there are some very high hurdles (for example we still don't know how to properly 'read' and 'write' to various parts of brain and sticking very thin metal wires is not a very good solution) to overcome, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>>377816502
Aren't you a ray of sunshine
>>
File: 1486452019476.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1486452019476.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>377809258
>tfw you can finally leave humanity behind
>>
File: 1454802683898.png (240KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1454802683898.png
240KB, 680x383px
>>377816502
Man fuck you. It is the year 2017 CE and we have arms that can give people haptic feedback on what they're touching. We have people that are 3D printing organs and turning spinach leaves into heart tissue. What makes you think that we won't be able to connect artificial lungs to people in the next 30 years? Because some guy wrote a paper that said we can't do it? Well guess what, science works on falsification, and that paper going to be false not too long from now.
>>
I am scared for advanced prosthesis and particularly enhancements that will improve mental ability. The idea itself is good for humanity, but I'm scared that the market for them won't be fair. I'm afraid that the richer you are the more intelligent and beautiful you'll be. And they'll also live much, much longer than anyone else. I'm hoping it can be a fair market, but that just doesn't seem possible. The rich and powerful do not need to further be advantaged by being superior to the poorer in every way. I don't know much about politics but this thought immediately came to mind.
>>
>>377817634
>>377819170
Living in a dreamworld where Deus Ex tier tech can happen ANY MINUTE NOW is ok, just don't try to pretend it's actually real and that you're going full cyborg next week because people will laugh at your ignorance.
Wishful thinking is not a good replacement for reality.
Again, we'll get there eventually but it's going to take a long while before someone complains about not asking for it.
>>
File: Omnisiah be praised.jpg (27KB, 480x502px) Image search: [Google]
Omnisiah be praised.jpg
27KB, 480x502px
>>377809258
I am readily and willing to exterminate the meatbags upon my glorious ascension to divinity.

Eternal Glory to the Omnisiah.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.