[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the SRPG genre dead while JRPG is one of the biggest living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 45

File: 2e23b6e116c5f2171e70e05b2c66917e.gif (1022KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
2e23b6e116c5f2171e70e05b2c66917e.gif
1022KB, 350x350px
Why is the SRPG genre dead while JRPG is one of the biggest living and breathing ones still?

They're essentially the same thing but you move units in one and in the other they're stationary.

What happened to such great classics as Tactics ogre, FFT, Front Mission?

Why did no one try to advance the idea further like Mega Man Battle Network?

What went wrong?

or just talk about srpg games that you like or whatever, that's fine too
>>
>>377787582
I dunno, OP, I thought about this myself, because when I found myself trying to get into SRPGs with not much success. Despite liking the traditional turn based JRPGs. (Although I did finish FFT.) And I came to realization that I simply don't enjoy that type of gameplay much.

I really do want to get into Disgaea series someday. I really like the setting, the characters, art and music. But gameplay feels kinda like a chore.
>>
>>377787582

Its hard to market games to autists because they tend to just play the same game over and over indefinitely.
>>
>>377787582
>SRPG genre dead
If by "SRPG" you mean "shallow weebshit trash with unlimited grinding mechanics that eliminate any kind of challenge the game might have had", then I'm glad it's dead. meanwhile, turn based tactics patricians are looking forward to Necromunda and are enyjoing XCOM2, Battle Brothers and Mordheim.
>>
File: you again.jpg (12KB, 213x231px) Image search: [Google]
you again.jpg
12KB, 213x231px
>>377787879
>>
>>377787809
Well if you don't like then you don't like it, that's fine.
I can't really help with it.

>>377787879
I know this is "muh games made by on ethnicity is different from the others, it's not just design and style direction!" bait but still.
Western SRPG scene is about as moot as any other.

>>377787872
That might be true but this can be marketed to anyone.
Strategic thinking is a much more common trait rather than quick execution and agility (for platformeres/action games/fightings/RTS etc.)
Hell, a fucking 5 year old child and a 95 year old grandma can play Disgaea and have a blast with no limits.
>>
Is the new SRT worth the trouble to juggle PSN accounts and buy PSN credits?
>>
>>377787582
I think it got drown in the tide of JRPGs just like well good JRPGs did. While there has been a resurgence of RPGs lately its mostly been major titles and remakes. I think the more active combat PS2 and on provided made people feel strategy based RPG was a thing of the past, because it came about at the same time there was a massive influx of dull JRPGs.

Its a cycle. You get it in movies and music too. Rock was popular, got too commercial, metal took over and rock went underground, metal got commercial, grunge took over, metal went underground, grunge got commercial, rap took over, rap got commercial and there we sit now with rubbish radio. Same thing for some game genre I think.

JRPGs were massively great and SRPGs on PS1, but they got pretty wide spread. A lot went to hide on the PSP after it and are still around, but I do miss them. Both J and SRPGs are really good when they play up the strats.

SRPGs also really scratch the tabletop itch without making you poor too.

Damn anyone recommend some I kinda want to play again.
>>
Several SRPGs were essentially JRPGs with tiles.
>>
>>377787582
2017 gamers dont want challenge. They just want to be coddled like special little kids that their homeschooling taught to them and want everything easy in life with the push of a QTE button.
>>
>>377788120
>it's not just design and style direction
It's not, it's gameplay mechanics as well. How many forced ironman Japanese SRPGs do you know? How many Japanese SRPGs prevent you from grinding endlessly without consequence? The design of gameplay mechanics is very different between Western and Japanese SRPGs.

But yeah, I agree with you: neither Western nor Japanese SRPGs are doing amazing financially, but at least good Western SRPGs are still being made.
>>
Because you have to think for a SRPG.
That's like asking why chess isn't as popular as monopoly
>>
>>377787582
I don't have the patience for it anymore, like, look how fucking long it took for that single thunder to be cast and report the damage it dealt, ffs I have shit to do. I'm sure they're great games, but fuck that.
>>
File: Stork_mk_4.jpg (77KB, 750x850px) Image search: [Google]
Stork_mk_4.jpg
77KB, 750x850px
>>377787582
Squaresoft merged with Enix, pretty much. Look at the titles you mention:
>Tactics Ogre, FFT, Front Mission
All are Square franchises for which the original creators left after the Enix merger.

Besides, the genre is hardly dead. Fire Emblem is still going and so is Disgaea. The issue you seem to have is that "Squaresoft" SRPGs are dead.
>>
>>377788764
>Front Mission
After FM4&5 the setting deserved to die.
>>
>>377787582
Man I just finished this battle on the translated SNES version!
Got my Sis back!
This is the bets game that you can never make anyone play. No grinding or micro managing skills.

I think Square was jealous of Matsuno's talent and didn't want him to make any more of 'his' games like FFT, tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story.

They wanted to somehow absorb him into the mainline FF series but then they got mad for reasons.... In hindsight we can see that it was just SE in general that made ff12 take too long and general meddled and fucked up too much.

I guess I think he was the force behind this type of SRPG and since SE own his creations and is butthurt at him we won't get more like them.
It seems there's a market for SRPG but SE just wont touch it anymore. They tried a moble FFT on there own and it flopped bad.

I kinda like Fire Emblem and Disgaea but they're really not the same as TO and FFT.
>>
>>377788446
The irony is that the older Fire Emblem games actually are a perfect example of a "no grind" SRPG with perma-death and no mid-mission reloads, but the newer generation of Fire Emblem games is shifting towards the "grind without worry/consequence" model.
>>
because JRPGs are easier to design and make, just put in a waifu and call it a day
>>
File: 14848213781390.jpg (20KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
14848213781390.jpg
20KB, 351x351px
>>377788953
>No grinding
What kind of drugs are you on? I've never played the SNES version, but you have "training mode" that is technically even worse than unlimited grinding without consequence, as it allows you to hit YOUR OWN characters for free XP forever over and over again WITHOUT THOSE CHARACTERS EVER FIGHTING BACK. It's fucking dogshit.
>>
When I learned that Smith was the reason for the Old English style writing and that the Japanese writing was more basic I learned to love the man more.

The writing in FFT and TO is by far one of the best I've seen in a J/SRPG
>>
>>377789054

Because grinding sells
>>
L I T T L E M O N E Y
>>
>>377787879
rng garbage, gg ez
>>
>>377788764
Disgae is the only SRPG still alive, and it's a drastically different title from many classics.
Not to say Nippon ichi solely thrived on SRPGS from the inception.

New fire emblem games are just jrpgs, basically.
>>
>>377789070
you just use training to even out the party's levels, put the higher against the lower + healers and set them to auto battle. Can't call it grinding since I don't actually have to sit there and do it.
It's really great and you only have to do it every once in awhile.
UNLESS you WANT to grossly over level or recruit lots of new generic guys and punch your own guy in the head to level them up.... you can do that.... but you're making it suck on your own and you should know better.
>>
I've actually been having a lot of fun with Banner Saga.
>>
>>377789070
You can beat the whole game without training.
there's a playthrough on yt, or at least was at some point

that's like complaining why there's an easy mode in the hardest action games ever
it's optional, it doesn't change the game at all
if you want it to be challenging just play it and it will be
>>
>>377789450
Every turn based game has RNG, even chess. You are retarded. The actual skill comes from being able to minimize your chances of failure and maximizing your chances of success as well as being able to recover from failures.
>>
>Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner series.
>>
>>377789736
>chess has RNG
what plain of autism do you operate on?
Do you even know what RNG means?
>>
>>377789650
>>377789610
Training is not optional in TO, don't bullshit me, because I've played that turd from start to finish. Training is not optional because the game NEVER tells you what level your enemies are going to be during your next mission, so you are basically forced to train to keep your entire party level high enough to be at least on par with the enemies, unless you want to gimp yourself. Now, keeping in mind that not all character classes gain XP at the same rate in combat, you will have MASSIVE difference in character levels among your party, so you are basically forced to train to avoid being gimped. Another point to consider that the game does not have level scaling and you will always lag behind the enemy in levels unless you maximize your XP gains each mission and even then it's going to be hard to keep up.

All in all, the game is a poorly designed piece of dogshit.

>You can beat the whole game without training.
And you can also play chess with your feet, doesn't mean you should. Playing the game without grinding while grinding is allowed is literally gimping yourself, good games are well balanced to the point where they provide a steady challenge level without giving you even a possibility of grinding, so that you would not be able to worm your way out of that challenge level. Coincidentally, most of such games are Western SRPGs, not nipnog trash.
>>
>>377789872
Before spouting nonsense, read up on "white advantage" and how the first white player is determined in tournaments, mongoloid.
>>
File: Langrisser.jpg (292KB, 759x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Langrisser.jpg
292KB, 759x1024px
>Langrisser
>Shining Force
Two more dead SRPG series. Shame too. Fire Emblem could use some competition.
>>
File: 1415117455380.jpg (110KB, 820x918px)
1415117455380.jpg
110KB, 820x918px
>>
>>377789507
Super Robot Wars says hi, anon. MD and V even got an English release, to boot.
>>
Any good ones on steam?

I played a few on PS1 and 2, but its been awhile.
>>
>>377790460
Disgaea 1 and 2. Playing the first one on PSP right now and it's pretty alright.
>>
>Langrisser
>Shining Force
>Front Mission

Give me a good starting point for these. Not just "the first one" either.
>>
>>377790149
I feel the death of the Saturn may have been a contributor to the end of a lot of SRPG series, but maybe that's just coincidence rather than causation.

I think at least part of the issue with a lot of Japanese style SRPGs is that they don't seem really much more "strategic" than a story-based JRPG or Wizardry clone; most of the well-known games still limit you to 4-6 characters on the field. This doesn't really give them a lot of differentiation.
>>
>>377789991

uh you go into battle and you'll see the level and if they kick your butt you re-load.

I've used training about 5 times in my last play. Not literally 5 training sessions but at 5 times in the game using about 3 or 4 auto battles to get the lag be-hinders a couple kills to catch up.
At the start after getting my custom named generics, just to be level 2.
Then towards the end of each chapter once a few guys are a level or 2 above the rest. Very quick and easy to catch the rest up and you don't need your healer to be highest level since they don't do combat.

Of course it might be better to use persuade to get the enemies soldiers if your guys are lagging behind.

Game is a masturbation piece and I think you just didn't get gud.
>>
File: Camilla,.jpg (189KB, 1000x1544px) Image search: [Google]
Camilla,.jpg
189KB, 1000x1544px
>>
File: 1471589208049.jpg (58KB, 525x503px) Image search: [Google]
1471589208049.jpg
58KB, 525x503px
How do you make a successful SRPG today? Both critically and commercially, not relying on a previous franchise.
>>
>>377790850
See>>377790770
>>
>>377790850
>successful SRPG
>not relying on a previous franchise.
You don't. You either take a well known previously used franchise or you take a well known franchise that hasn't been adapted to vidya yet. Otherwise you're not going to sell even 200k.
>>
File: agarest__sb_003.jpg (376KB, 1920x1024px) Image search: [Google]
agarest__sb_003.jpg
376KB, 1920x1024px
>>377790850
Anime tiddies.
>>
>>377790535
Oh yea forgot those got a PC release. Thanks.

>>377790850
Visual style and hitting the addictive button I would say.
>>
>>377790550
Only one of those I played is Front Mission 3, but I highly recommend it.
>>
>>377787582
Disgaea, SD Gundam G Gen and SRW still alive, so it's almost all good in my book.
There are some minor sRPG games like Utawararumono, few 3DS titles.
But overall it's certainly past it's prime, but still pretty healthy
I wish for new front mission tho
>>
>>377790998
This was so boring to play
>>
>>377790850
Release it on mobile
>>
File: 65545_front.jpg (80KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
65545_front.jpg
80KB, 500x714px
Have you guys played Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom? I love gridless SRPGs.
>>
>>377791036
FM3 is the worst game in the series.
>>
File: XCOM-Enemy-Within.jpg (80KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
XCOM-Enemy-Within.jpg
80KB, 640x360px
>>
>>377791264
I enjoy ejecting the enemies and capturing their suits.
>>
>>377791264
>FM3 is the worst game in the series.
Not him, this is the reason I'm glad the series is dead. Shit-eaters like you who can't appreciate a amsterpiece don't deserve to have games catered to them. Both FM4 and 5 sold like utter dogshit, compared to 3 and killed the series, so you also have no one but your retarded shit-eating self to blame as well. It's pure pottery.
>>
>>377791508
It's a neat mechanic that's criminally underutilized. There's only 4-5 stages spread across about 100 that actually do anything interesting with it.
>>
>>377789991
>Playing the game without grinding while grinding is allowed is literally gimping yourself
Playing on hard mode when easy mode is available is literally gimping yourself
>>
>>377791089
I wish SD Gundam games would go back to how they were around F while keeping the quality of life improvements. F has such better maps than Genesis it's a travesty and I miss using colony lasers to destroy 5 warships and their mobile suits at once. I still enjoy playing them, but Overworld and Genesis don't capture the frantic bloodbaths of the older games at all.
>>
>>377790550
Der langrisser
shining force 1
front mission 1 on SNES or PS1, they're the same

avoid front mission 3, it's the worst one
>>
>>377790850
ya don't
no one wants to play them unless they already have a brand name slapped on them

see any recent srpg
>>
>>377788465
This honestly. They're, in general, unplayable without some sort of drastic speed up button.
>>
>>377790550
Langrisser 2 (Genesis).
Shining Force 1/2 (Genesis)
Front Mission 1st (DS).
>>
>>377791657
That's a retarded non-argument. How about playing a game on hard mode and still grinding? Again, any game that allows for unlimited grinding without repercussions offers exactly 0 (zero) challenge. If you chose not to grind, you're just gimping yourself and not utilizing all the mechanics a game offers, which is basically equivalent to playing the game in a way it was not meant to be played.

Good games do not allow grinding without serious repercussions and are balanced properly from start to finish, grinding is a crutch for shitty game devs to lean upon, because they can't balance their shit game.
>>
File: Zanny1.gif (80KB, 350x431px) Image search: [Google]
Zanny1.gif
80KB, 350x431px
>>377791709
>the older games at all.
never played those, I hope someone aside of Gideon will translate them eventually.
>>
File: elsa.jpg (3KB, 87x224px) Image search: [Google]
elsa.jpg
3KB, 87x224px
>>377791527
I feel like I'm the only person on the planet who liked FM4 the best. Yeah, the story wasn't the strongest part of the game, but the Link system was interesting and Wanzer construction felt like you had more significant tradeoffs at each tier.

FM3 felt way more cheesy and FM5 felt anemic throughout, with a mostly linear upgrade path and little room to come up with anything really interesting.
>>
>>377787582

> SRPG dead

Regalia: of Man and Monarchs
Renowned Explorers
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
Battle Brothers
Expeditions: Vikings
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the shogun

Doesn't look so dead to me.
>>
>>377791657
I think
>>377789991
just doesn't get TO
You 'can' spread out the kills and keep your guys evenly leveled, but because you probably don't, there's a training mode to catch them up.

If you abuse it and make them game too easy you wont learn to play the game and when the enemies catch up they'll pwn you and you'l be trying to over level them again and the cycle of sucking at TO repeats.

Just not for everyone
>>
>>377791896
Isn't Age of Decadence more of an RPG in the classic Fallout style? And Shadow Tactics is more of a Commandos type puzzle/stealth game than an RPG of any sort.
>>
>>377791527
but you're the one who's the shit-eater here
why would I play FM3 which is literal dogshit and not play FM1, 2, and 5?

Are you actually autistic or you're trying to say that games need to have shitty entries that would sell the game to normies?
That would just lead to them making more shitty games instead and would destroy the reason to keep the franchises alive in the first place.
>>
>>377790850
WWND?
>>
>>377791972

Combat is very tactical in both cases, and there's a lot of character customization.

I didn't include other games like underrail, hard west or xcom2 for reasons like the ones you stated. Depends on where you draw the lines between genres.
>>
>>377789507
>New fire emblem games are just jrpgs, basically.

This is the most ignorant thing I've ever seen posted on this board. They're more SRPG like than disgaea
>>
>>377791896
>Regalia: of Man and Monarchs
come on now, it's garbage
like it's actually really genuinely bad, sound mixing, gameplay, writing, voices

>Shadow Tactics: Blades of the shogun

that's the only good one on the list and it's barely an SRPG
>>
Project X Zone 2 was the last SRPG I played. Those games were fun enough for the fanwank but not that great and really easy.
>>
>>377791896
>Age of Decadence
>Shadow Tactics
>SRPGS

you're retarded, aren't you. I don't even know the rest of the games but I highly doubt any of them are SRPGs either.

Also, there's Wargroove, coming out sometime soon, it looks like it's gonna be Advance Wars in a phantasy setting.
>>
File: Liu Hei Fong.jpg (117KB, 700x1450px) Image search: [Google]
Liu Hei Fong.jpg
117KB, 700x1450px
>>377791880
>FM3 felt way more cheesy
FM3 is the perfect example of a succesfful combination of rule of cool and pseudo-realism in proper proportions. It's very similar to MGS in this regard and this is one of the reasons it was so good and sold so well. People like interesting characters, branching storylines and actually meaningful choices&consequences, regardless of the genre and FM4 and 5 utterly failed in that regard.

Also, the OST was god-tier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvHdLaJArjE

>>377791978
>and 5
Your opinion is trash and, again, I'm glad the series is dead, because no other FM game has a chance to top 3 and shit-eaters like you don't get any more games made for them.
>>
>>377792061
>character customization
that was never really important
you kind of just buy the unit you want for the mission like a mage/archer for your set up and take on it
you're basically swapping around pawns/classes
it's not really about customizing your party of "chosen ones", that's JRPGs
This is more about army commandment
>>
>>377787582
what game?
>>
>>377791978
okay I gotta ask, wtf is wrong with FM3?
It's the only one I played but I really enjoyed it and even replayed it a couple years ago and felt it held it's value.
>>
>>377792076

Quality is subjective, i liked all of those I listed, although by different degrees. Except exepdition: vikings which I wouldn't suggest.
Regalia's not bad at all, is intentionally cheesy and cliché. A bit like Divinity:OS is intentionally tongue in cheek.
>>
>>377792148
so you just agree that you like to eat shit and that's it?
no further points to disprove that scars of war is the best FM?
Okay then, have it your way and play your shitty games.
>>
>>377791928
>If you abuse it
Problem is, you have to specifically go out of your way not to abuse it, because you do not know how much you need to level for the next mission. Going into the mission, watching the "cutscenes" and then reloading is fucking mind-numbingly boring and takes a good amount of time. It's easier to just play a training session and get some levels every mission. TO is a poorly designed turd, sorry.
>>
>>377792124
Isn't that japan only?
I think the biggest problem with SRPGS is that there's a ton of them still being made in japan but they never come out in english so it seems like its dead but really the japs are just keeping it to themselves away from dirty white-u piggu
>>
>>377792209
That Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
The Original ps1 SNES version.
I think the remake has that fight outside?
>>
File: 1477530998680.jpg (628KB, 1085x861px) Image search: [Google]
1477530998680.jpg
628KB, 1085x861px
>>377791831
You can honestly pick up and play F pretty easily, there are just some weird unexplained mechanics that you need to figure out (you can only have a certain number of schematics for mobile suits at a time, your only permanent characters are the original ones but you can rent the anime characters). It really is worth it though, F has a crazy number of missions across 3 discs and I think it's the only SD game to have Sentinel stages. Plus it has pretty fun multiplayer that lets you dick around with up to 8 ships full of mobile suits, although it does take fucking forever to set everything up.
>>
File: 1493566790128.jpg (253KB, 1080x1283px) Image search: [Google]
1493566790128.jpg
253KB, 1080x1283px
>>377792247
Shh, it's OK, enjoy your dead series that YOU and shit-eaters like you have allowed to die by not buying your so called "superior" shit games. I have already played the only FM game that is actually good and know nothing further could have topped it.
>>
>>377792329
No they're globally released.
>>
>>377792231
It basically stripped off all of the things that made FM1 good gameplay wise
gimped the options, removed a lot of the things you could do

It's just a casualized FM that appeals to a wider audience

It's basically a downgraded, streamlined FM2 beta prototype that people liked because it was piss easy to get into unlike FM1 that would require you to actually think in the fights or get your ass handed to you

Just play the SNES front mission and you'll see what they fucked up
>>
File: Gm-custom-morishita_4.jpg (185KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
Gm-custom-morishita_4.jpg
185KB, 640x720px
>>377792369
I was pretty surprised when SD Gundam GGG didn't offer any type of storyline, just your well known scenarios. Is F like that or it has some sort of storyline?
thanks for the tip anyway~
>>
File: 187010.jpg (234KB, 670x377px) Image search: [Google]
187010.jpg
234KB, 670x377px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJwKbY_iTA
>>
>>377792395
So you do agree that you just like shitty games and don't want to play the good ones?
See how easy it was.
>>
>>377792512
The hell is this, an indie tactics ogre ripoff?
Is this actually a full game or just a demo?
>>
>>377787582
>Tactics ogre, FFT, Front Mission

all dead because square is fucking retarded
>>
>>377792231
It's a big step backwards even when compared to the first game.

In general, most of the characters are worse (and younger). Half of the game only happens because a trained government operative decides to recruit two Japanese teenagers for an operation when she has a team of specialists available.
It has the lowest number of deployable units in the series which in turn means less enemies per map.
Balance is at it's worst ever. Rifles, flamethrowers, and shotguns are useless. Skills are completely fucked.
The ranking system is so retarded it might as well not be included at all.

It gets a pass because of nostalgia and "muh internet." It's by far the worst in the series in every aspect.
>>
File: 1485756277345.jpg (208KB, 600x831px) Image search: [Google]
1485756277345.jpg
208KB, 600x831px
>>377787582
I liked playing them when I was younger. Pic related was great. They're a bit more boring for me recently. I was able to play Kamidori about a year ago though. I didn't even know about the sex scenes at first, I just liked the gameplay.
SRPGs focus too much on building relations between your army for me to get into them, I suppose. Or maybe that's only just a part of it, and I can't quantify the rest.
>>
>>377792512
>>377792602
>xbone
Yuck
>>
File: 4gamer_7.jpg (47KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
4gamer_7.jpg
47KB, 500x312px
>>377790460

Expeditions: Conquistador
Expeditions: Viking
Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs
Invisible Inc.
Banner Saga
Battle Brothers
XCOM 2
Massive Chalice
Telepath Tactics

>>377787582
>What went wrong?
In all honestly, it's because Japan has recently dropped the ball on making them. Just in this post I've listed countless Western tactical RPGs that have come out in the past 5 years, but really none that are Japanese. Disgaea, Fire Emblem. That's about it, and both of them are questionable nowadays (although I haven't played Echoes, so I might change my opinion).

Japan needs to get back in the game.
>>
Because we need another Advance Wars
>>
>>377787582
too much brain power. easier to just select "win" in a menu and watch pretty effects on the screen, which is what normal rpgs are.
>>
>>377792498
F is similar to GGG in that it follows the storyline of each series it covers, albeit there are quite a few more missions than Genesis. The max number of missions you'd get in a single series in Genesis is 6 I think while in F it hovers around 10 for most major series and an average of 4 to 5 for the other ones. One of the downsides I guess is that since the game is pretty old it only goes up to Turn A, but that shouldn't be too a problem if you're a UC fan (although I do miss the Igloo suits).
>>
>>377792679
Thanks I'll check those out.
>>
>>377792760
Advance Wars isn't an SRPG
>>
File: MSA-003_Nemo_MG_Body_Unit.jpg (164KB, 656x578px) Image search: [Google]
MSA-003_Nemo_MG_Body_Unit.jpg
164KB, 656x578px
>>377792783
UC is best Century.
Thanks for info, seems like good title to play without much of JP knowledge, that's for sure.
Though my bloody sRPG backlog is too freaking huge... Currently going thru GGG, SRW OG2 and SRW V, with some crawing of Disgaea 5 in between.
halp
>>
>>377790460
Battle for Wesnoth isn't on Steam yet but it's free on their site and very fun. A bit old but it still holds up and has a lot of fan-made content and mods for it.
>>
>>377791291
shame the new one is garbage
>>
I'm really bad at them. I can play most games, but managing units is just one thing I can't manage to do. Though it could just be a chicken-egg situation, since I actively avoid them because I think that.
>>
>>377792629
>Rifles
>useless
>when rifles have Arm Smash and even Body Smash later in the game
>when there are computers that allow you to increase your skill activation rate % significantly

>shotguns
>useless
>when they are more effective at using the ROFup skills than machineguns due to firing more projectiles and the fact that ROFup multiplies the number of projectiles fired, so shotguns get a bigger benefit inehrently

>flamethrowers
>useless
>when most of the close quarters enemies in the game have mostly anti-P or anti-I armor, reducing the effectiveness of machineguns, but leaving flamethrowers to deal their full damage

Typical FM1,2,4&5 cuck, who hasn't even played the game. I didn't want to respond to you, because you just post nonsense, but this shit is way too retarded and wrong to leave without comment.
>>
>>377792903
It's close enough
>>
File: 1467061527590.png (260KB, 484x605px) Image search: [Google]
1467061527590.png
260KB, 484x605px
Guys i need help.
There are no good free games like these for Android. Or am I wrong?
>>
>>377794362
>good
>free

Pick one. It's unreasonable to expect both although it happens sometimes
>>
File: ededededr.png (173KB, 279x281px) Image search: [Google]
ededededr.png
173KB, 279x281px
>>377794634
>it's the jaded /v/tard who has nothing to add to the discussion episode
>>
>>377788120
>Western SRPG scene is about as moot as any other.

Actually no.. Look at his examples + Regalia and Blackguards and other titles
>>
>>377788405
>>377787582
SRPG games in a nutshell
>can you spawn new units?
>if yes, place weak unit in line of fire
>flank enemy
>if no, place strongest unit in line of fire
>flank enemy
There's very little strategy to the whole thing.
>>
>>377794924
How would you improve it then?
>>
>>377787582
>They're essentially the same thing but you move units in one and in the other they're stationary
that doesn't make something an SRPG, that would be like saying Grandia or Trails are SRPGs because they have movement-based combat
>>
>>377794778
Blackguards isn't a SRPG, since you cannot recruit custom characters and create arbitrary party composition. It's a turn based RPG and yes, there is a difference.
>>
File: fm-emir-kramskoi.jpg (109KB, 970x952px) Image search: [Google]
fm-emir-kramskoi.jpg
109KB, 970x952px
>>377788806
>deserved

After FM5 series was done. As in, creator finished the story.
>>
cause "SRPGS" means tactics games. And tactics games are cancer relegated to mobile where they belong.

real SRPGs are fine and well. learn japanese, faggot.
>>
>>377794362
There's Fire Emblem Heroes, proof that it's okay if Nintendo does it. It's really bizarre to me how accepting /v/ is of it when it's just another casualized game with microtransactions which is unacceptable in any other context.
>>
File: gw_se_ps4_3d_3.png (629KB, 563x669px) Image search: [Google]
gw_se_ps4_3d_3.png
629KB, 563x669px
Anyone else picking this up next month?
>>
>>377792148
FM3's biggest problem was how hey scaled back combat with way too few max wanzers on the battlefield.
>>
>>377795064
Wanted to try that one but my cheapo phone won't run it.
>>
File: Western SRPGs.png (1MB, 945x834px) Image search: [Google]
Western SRPGs.png
1MB, 945x834px
>>377791896
Age of Decadence is not a SRPG, it's a RPG and you control only ONE character. You're thinking of Dungeon Rats - a game set in the same setting and made by the same devs, which is a SRPG.

>Shadow Tactics: Blades of the shogun
What the fuck? Are all Commandos games SRPGs now? YOu're smoking some heavy shit there, m8. ST is not even turn based.

Also, you've forgotten pretty much all of the actually good SRPGs that outsold all of the shit on your list.
>>
>>377795141
There's Phantom of the Gumi and Nexon War Tactics but those are shit because they are not by Nintendo.
>>
>>377795140
>the more units you control, the better
>tactical depth is a function of pure controlled unit numbers
You are retarded.
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/464150/Regalia_Of_Men_and_Monarchs/

Check this out OP, it includes Persona-esque social links for characters and NPCs among other features.
>>
File: 1495382738438.gif (2MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1495382738438.gif
2MB, 300x168px
>Why are SRPGs dead
>Disgaea 5 just came out
>Fire Emblem just before also came out
>>
>>377792679
I always found it funny how western and Japanese SRPGs were different takes on the same thing. Jagged Alliance 2 and X-COM are essentially equivalents to Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre and other way around in how important and beloved they are.
>>
>>377795061
give a single(1) example, faggot
>>
File: disgaea-5-ps4-box-art.jpg (107KB, 770x960px) Image search: [Google]
disgaea-5-ps4-box-art.jpg
107KB, 770x960px
So the rest are being ported to be PC r-right?
>>
>>377795228
I'll check them out anyway, thanks, anon.
>>
>>377795462
no
never
>>
>>377790627
Absolutely. Never getting the complete Shining Force III without fan translators would've been horrible.
>>
Are we going to just ignore that OP called MMBN a SRPG?
Is this real life?
Fuck this place.
>>
>>377795195
>Dungeon Rats
Is it good? seem kinda clunky from the video I've watched.
>>
>>377787879
>enjoying xcom 2
doubt
>>
File: SadFlonne.jpg (29KB, 638x318px) Image search: [Google]
SadFlonne.jpg
29KB, 638x318px
>>377795524
>>
>>377787582
>Why is the SRPG genre dead while JRPG is one of the biggest living and breathing ones still?
It's simple. SRPGs have a lot of extra shit added to the combat, but none of it actually amounts to extra depth or challenge; only extra bloat, more time and tedium to complete a single battle.

SRPG combat is no more interesting than JRPG combat. ALL turn based combat all blends together into the same exact shit. The RPG genre as a whole is a consumption type game, you endure the fighting parts to get to the story parts. That's why JRPGs thrive - their combat systems are the simplest and the fastest.

SRPGs are slow and boring and have a bunch of pointless complexity that doesn't amount to anything.
Western CRPGs are slow and boring and have a bunch of pointless complexity that doesn't amount to anything.

Stop playing turn-based shit, even the most braindead action game has more going on than even the most "complex" turn based RPGs.
>>
>>377795698
(You)
>>
>>377795586
>Is it good?
Have you played Age of Decadence? Did you like the combat? It's exactly like that, but with a party. Personally, I think it's very good, because of how hard it is without having bullshit design decisions. The game does not offer any new combat mechanics, compared to other Western SRPGs, but the encounter design is solid enough and the level of challenge is also very high to keep even a veteran of the genre entertained.
>>
>>377787582
I just want to add before we're done that I think Vagrant Story was supposed to be a start at taking the idea further. Imagine moving a whole team through a detailed medieval city and using VS type tactics as a group. I think ff12 had some of these element too.
>>
File: billy nye the cucked guy.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
billy nye the cucked guy.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
>>377795698
>SRPGs have a lot of extra shit added to the combat, but none of it actually amounts to extra depth or challenge
>>
>>377795462
Yep, it's just going to take a while.
>>
>>377795698
blah blah I've never played an srpg before blah blah, am I a good storyteller yet?
here's your (you)
>>
Fire Emblem Awakening is the only recent SRPG from Japan I've loved. Before that was Advance Wars DS. I'm hoping FE Switch will be great, since I didn't care for Birthright and don't have any interests in Echos. Awakening was just so good. I gone back and played it almost every year since it released.
>>
>>377795019
No idea.
>>
>>377795698
Oh look it's another "turn based games are mbaad okay" episode starring grandpy mc. cool teenager
I love those
>>
>>377795698

This guy gets it.

Watch all the asspained SRPGfags attack him.
>>
>>377789054
>the older Fire Emblem games actually are a perfect example of a "no grind" SRPG

So you didn't touch a single game in the serie right ?
>>
>>377795929
More like look at the assblasted guy being called out on being too dumb to apply strategic thinking without his regenerating health.
>>
Too complicated for millennials.

Back in the early 2000s when these games were dying out, reviewers complained about the difficulty curve associated with these games.

People wanted easy gratification that came with JRPGs at the time.
>>
>>377789507
If you mean all the grinding, conquest doesn't have that.
>>
File: 1494584456922.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
1494584456922.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdZZ_8meyk
>>
>>377787582
The same reason the standard run time for a movie is now an hour and a half.
>>
>>377796474
I probably have well over 10k hours in dark souls
this is baby shit
>>
>>377796474
>tfw he game up vidya and became a normalfag
>>
File: 1490717645904.jpg (67KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490717645904.jpg
67KB, 500x500px
>>377796762
>gave up
I'm going to sleep
>>
>>377787582
But one of the best game from SRPG series was just released few days ago anon
>>
>>377797320
>But one of the best game from SRPG series was just released few days ago anon
I hope you're not talking about D5, because it was trash and flopped hard.
>>
>>377796030
>strategic thinking
>SRPG
Fucking weeb man how delusional can you get
>>
>>377797374
D5 was released months ago not days? I think
>>
i played golden sun recently on emulator
it's great, but kind of boring and the story is pretty shit.

are there any rpgs that are actually interesting and fun to play?

i like disgaea too but fuck if im getting back into that again.
>>
>>377797479
More like years ago
>>
I think one of the requirements of SRPGs is too have great music and cool visuals/animations

If you're going to wait for your turn, you've got to be hyped up by the music and the visuals, otherwise you're gonna get bored

I think that, aside from the gameplay, that's why FFTA, Advance wars and FE worked so well
>>
>>377797514
Suikoden II
>>
>>377797674
Whatever float your boat retard.
>>
>>377797773
you really want to pick a fight with me ?

You ?
>>
>>377797875
Yes, come at me retard.
>>
what ps emulator a best
>>
>>377797875
Oh a tough Internet badass. I would very much like to pick a fight with you dumbass
>>
>>377797674
>cool visuals/animations

Spoken like a true child.
>>
>>377797994
>>377798071

I could fucking beat both of you up with my bear hands

>>377798098
>i'm not sensitive to art

spoken like a true retard
>>
>>377798241
Oh yeah so big Bear hand. That must be why you have a bear brain too. Spoken like a true Winnie the pooh, retard
>>
>>377798098
Back off, kid.
>>
>>377798350
I'm gonna find out your fucking IP and I'll beat the shit out of you, pal.
>>
>>377798350
Yeah it's big, really fucking big, like my big bear dick, wanna have a taste, you stupid bitch ?
>>
>>377795762
Thanks for the info m8, desu I always feel that AoD combat will improve a lot if it add a proper party-based system. Will check out.
>>
File: wiegraf.jpg (8KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
wiegraf.jpg
8KB, 200x300px
>>377798071
Draw your sword, faggot.
>>
this is retarded

you're retarded
>>
I think it's because there's no good platform for them right now. during ps3 generation srpgs all moved to handhelds because of development costs, but now handhelds are dying and the genre is too complex to appeal to idiots who play games on their phones. the genre has kind of come back in the west, but it's all on pc and japan pretends pc gaming doesn't exist.
>>
Finally another thread got derailed. I like it very much. All of you sick my tiny dick. Retard
>>
>>377798019
retroarch's mednafen
>>
>>377795698
He's not wrong. Throwing is stupid.
>>
>>377798407
Come at me bro, hope you dumbass brain can even make it.
>>377798417
Bear dick is tempting, but with a bear brain.. I pretty much doubt you can even last one orgasm before your brain got blown the fuck off cunt
>>
>>377798509
But PC is the perfect platform for them, they're all just option menus picking and dragging.
Mouse is literally all you need to play.
>>
Thanks god. Srpg is fucking tash.
>>
File: 43.jpg (71KB, 640x637px) Image search: [Google]
43.jpg
71KB, 640x637px
Remake when?
>>
>>377798736
That game was so shit
>>
>>377798632
Oh, so you think you could make me orgasm ? Don't get cocky.
>>
>>377798793
You're double shit.
>>
This thread is shit. Fucking shit
>>
>>377798654
the point is that if japan refuses to develop for the only viable platform you aren't going to get any games from them.
>>
>>377798950
Oh wow! Just WOW ! You think you're so great huh ? You're think you're so "cool"! too cool for this thread huh! ?? I see we're not up to the standards of "mylord" !!
>>
>>377799095
Bow down before me you stupid ningen
>>
>>377799143
Back the fuck off
>>
i hate you
>>
I like to move it move it. You like to?
>>
>>377798019
epsxe
it runs on anything nowadays
>>
>>377799270
Fuck you for recommending me that shit
>>
>>377799260
windows moveit maker
>>
>>377795064

Whatever you think, retard
>>
What happened to my thread?
>>
>>377799410
That's such hard words for someone of your stature, buddy.
Are you sure you don't want you dick sucked behind the shed? Maybe by someone you know?
>>
>>377799465
Bored shitposters moved in/east coast america woke up.
>>
>>377799570
You're a bored shitposter, shithead :)
>>
You all should such my dick. It is free. Just pirate my dick for sucking
>>
>>377787879
>If by "SRPG" you mean "shallow weebshit trash with unlimited grinding mechanics that eliminate any kind of challenge the game might have had", then I'm glad it's dead.

I totally agree with that. It's really a shame because FFT and TO have great plot and sound track, but the gameplay is non existent, unless all you care is hoarding exp.

>meanwhile, turn based tactics patricians are looking forward to Necromunda and are enyjoing XCOM2, Battle Brothers and Mordheim.

I'm not sure about the others because I haven't played them, but Xcom is pretty bad too. The only difference is the type of grind.
>>
>>377799675
Oh yes, give me your dick, baby.
>>
>>377797320
what?
>>
>>377799374
Are you ready for my bear mouth cunt?
>>
>>377799747
*sprays semen on your boar hairs*

daddy
>>
>>377787582
Shitty console controls make tham a chore to play.
>>
>>377787582
oh my actual fucking god.

People have died in manchester and all you can talk about is video games?!

Are you actually fucking serious???
>>
>>377799738
Fuck off. Your opinion are stupid as shit. You must be a dumbass huh. Fucking rat
>>377799743
Don't what me bitch
>>
>>377799842
So? You want to suck my dick for those murdered Loli fans?
>>
>>377799842
We can also talk about how salty your cum is
>>
>>377799842
Religion of peace preaching in Europe is about as interesting as the weather now days.
>>
>>377799846
what fucking game came out GARDARMIT!?
>>
>>377799949
Daddy's Sqiuishy II
>>
>>377799738
>XCOm
>grind
It's not the same thing when the game has a pseudo time limit (i.e. don't progress with your tech too fast and you're fucked) and the "grind" has actual consequences.
>>
>>377799742
Hmm your mouth look tasty. Here I give you a little lick to measure your skill
>>
>>377787582
They tend to either be difficult, or involve a lot of permanent consequences for the player, if not both. If your SRPG doesn't tick one of those boxes, you're going to have a hard time engaging your player on the gameplay side of things, I think, and it's hard to get people to tough their way through those things if they're used to games that aren't as demanding in those ways.
>>
>>377799991
I can be fucked? Please anon. I am horn. I like the pseudo teasing
>>
File: 6582749054231.jpg (188KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
6582749054231.jpg
188KB, 1024x576px
>>377791089
>Utawarerumono
Gameplay is pretty awful though. Kamidori on the other hand was decent, played it for years and still couldn't finish it completely.
>>
>>377800020
Yeah, they cam be difficult just like how you can be difficult to cut right. Stupid impotent retard
>>
>>377787582
Just like WoW, FFT ruined the genre and now FFT fags think its the standard for for SRPG's.
>>
>>377800131
I came a bucket anon. Hmmmmmm I am about to cum again.
>>
File: bahamutlagoonmofo.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bahamutlagoonmofo.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
Who here is a real man and played bahamut lagoon ?
>>
>>377800131
>swallow fist skill
really makes you think
>>
>>377800227
Bahamut lagoon sucks. I'm positive that /v/ only likes it for the NTR.
>>
File: Shining.jpg (222KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Shining.jpg
222KB, 480x360px
Slap on a Gacha/unit draw system and put it on mobile. Make sure it has cute anime girls and decent sprite art.

There you just made over 1million nip downloads.
>>
>>377800227
I am a real man anon. Look at me big and hairy dick
>>
>>377800131
I never said it's good, just that's it's there technically keeping srpg genre alive
>>
>>377800349
>mobile
into the trash you go
>>
>>377800227
I loved this game when I was younger because of the Dragon raising and evolving. Looking back, there are a lot of mechanics that ar emisisng that really brings it down. Not being able to see or know what your dragon will turn into without save stating is just so annoying. Some balance was really off in the game too, team stacking was not a good idea.

Awesome story, music, and in general a good game. Bought a boxed copy when I went to Japan.
>>
Any great H rpg I should know?
>Uta checked
>Kamidori Checked
>Rance not sure
>>
>>377799842
I'm from England and I genuinely don't give a flying fuck.
>>
My favourites include Fire Emblem, Langrisser, Front Mission, and Battle for Wesnoth. Tactics Ogre and the SMT Devil Survivor games are also pretty good.
Anything else along those lines I should check out?
>>
>>377800630
As much as I loved sengoku rance, I seriously hate the whole, "It's a really good game stuck as a porn game."
>>
>>377800669
Drone Tactics for the DS.
>>
>>377800669
That's it.
>>
>>377800717
But it really is you fucking mongoloid.
SR is an amazing game.
>>
>>377787582
rather than a revival as-is, i think the genre could do with an upgrade. think hexagons rather than squares, faster animations, maybe a new turn-based mechanic, attacks affecting terrain and elevation, so on. just something to make it more dynamic. do that and balance things so that levelling is a minor concern and balancing your party according to the situation is actually the bigger concern (by making the matchups between different units and damages more prevalent for instance), and you're set.

also, must these threads always be plagued by people with the "it's the game's fault i can't stop grinding/abusing shit until it's all broken and piss-easy" mindset?
>>
>>377801013
I think games like chroma squad and expeditions series are a step in the right directions. Both games still have their share of flaws, but I do sincerely enjoy the idea of character types, units, and equipment mattering a lot into the equation more so than levels of your characters.
>>
>>377800861
Rance 9 when anon? Never ever?
>>
File: start-4.png (2MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
start-4.png
2MB, 1280x768px
Everyone should play Battle for Wesnoth. It's amazing and also free.
get it from wesnoth.org

>>377801013
There are games that do those things
>>
All RPGs are shit. No exception. Don't even start with "b-but action rpgs, d-diablo, kingdom hearts", no. Don't even embarrass yourself you waste of skin.
They're slow, they're built on stupid abstract mechanics, have legendarily stupid stories and they're all based on numbers. I don't want to do math while I'm playing a fucking game you fag nerds, I just want to kill dudes and score touchdowns.
>>
>>377801503
that's a fishing pole
>>
>>377801503
dude you should get out of that closet you'll suffocate at this rate.
>>
>>377787582
Aren't there lots of random forgettable SRPGs in japan nowadays? I think even neptunia got a srpg, is that any good?
>>
>>377801503
Yeah, you should suck my dick anon. Pretty great games actually. Way better than those boring rpg
>>
I want to see an RTS rpg.
>>
>>377801013
all of those were already done
and none of the games that did them were played by more than 5 people
>>
>>377801503
Don't just throw an anchor when baiting, anon.
That's too much.
Start smaller and more subtle.
>>
>>377801764
>I think even neptunia got a srpg, is that any good?
It's better than the rest of nepshit trash by virtue of being a SRPG alone instead of a shitty JRPG grindfest with reused assets from previous nepshit games.
>>
I feel like SRPGs are too slow, or at least a certain variety of them like FFT/TO, you have to stay really commited to them and at times it just feels better to not bother with scrap random encounters because of how long they take.
Compare and contrast to Fire Emblem or Advance wars, which feel far faster and easier to get into, but one's dead and the other's eh.
>>
>>377802145
Prime example of thrash tier opinion ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>377800503
He said nip downloads. Are you a Japsie or just blind?
>>
>>377799842
Anglos deserve that, inbred backstabbing cunts.
>>
>>377801880
Wrong.
>>
>>377801503
Autism.
>>
>>377787582
Fights take too long. Most of the time they are too dependant of character level and equipment. There's no real strategy involved. Even though I played, finished and loved the games you mentioned, I preffer tactical games in which both parts have the same kind of units. Balance is hard.
>>
>>377787582
Tactics Ogre wasn't perfect and while FFT inproved on it, Square Enix dropped SRPGs because its easier to just make games without thinking, throw cutscenes together, and sell it.

seriously Archers were broken in TO
>>
>>377804546
>I preffer tactical games in which both parts have the same kind of units
so all of the above games?
which ones are you talking about
>>
>>377804765
Except TO was better than FFT which was actually just broken
>>
>>377805510
The original TO was a bit too flakey with stuff like the MVP system being super abusable, but I can see your point. FFT "overall" was a cleaner engine and had SE fixed the busted stuff they woulda had a really fantastic SRPG all around. But they never put much effort into an SRPG since so RIP.
>>
>>377787582
Cause one is trying to be deeper than it is and the other is mostly, mindless fun. You want to be the next Tsun Tzu then play RTS'.
>>
>>377787582
SRPGs require some effort on the map designs and enemy placement to work well. Take a look at the maps in Fire Emblem Awakening for an idea of what happens when you screw it up. Good maps make for a good game, but that also requires more effort to make it good.

The people making these JRPGs aren't looking to spend effort. They want to throw together another silly story, a few new map corridors, some new character art, and throw it out the door. The results are something cheap but at least it still gets produced.

Also, as >>377787879 pointed out, they are still being made. Heck, there's a Disgaea being put out on the Switch. And if you are stretching the SRPG genre enough to include Battle Network, then there's Renowned Explorers on PC as well.

Good choice of Tactics Ogre in the OP, though.
>>
>>377806602
map designs and enemy placement are half of it. The other half is balance too. If you let player characters become so overpowered it doesn't matter what the goddamn map looks like. And this isn't even abiut grinding, some games are so broke it happens anyway.
>>
Guys how to get into Disgaea?
>>
>>377800271
>ntr
Tell me more.
>>
>>377806839
Don't.
Not worth it, unless you're a neet who has no family.
>>
>>>/vr/4014036
>>
>>377806715
Yeah, that's true. I love Tactics Ogre but it really is easy to end up breaking the game just with some common class choices. Offering up a challenge to players so that it is more than just running up and attacking everything is also important.

I guess that's important in JRPGs as well, although I don't really see any attempting to put any challenge in those games.
>>
>>377807020
Yep. And just going for "make the enemies stronger" doesn't even make the game more complex either. It usually turns into "well these classes are garbage so time to use the same tactics the whole game".
>>
>>377806715
I love brute forcing my way through strategy games.
>>
Speaking of Tactics Ogre, what happened to that kickstarter that involved Matsumo and other guys known for the Ogre series?
>>
>>377808375
It was a scam.
>>
What does /v/ think of the Final Fantasy Tactics randomizer?
>>
Because there really aren't any "game designers" involved into making games nowadays.

People just either collaborate and make a game everyone wants by throwing and mashing shit together.
Or some clueless 20 something straight out of a game university goes in and tells a team of programmers and artists vague thoughts and spaghetti resulting in an abomination.

There's no thought behind it, no one's going to sit in their room reading vast amounts of literature and actual DESIGN a video game with ideas and philosophy behind everything.

It's easier to just rely on arbitrary gaming conventions of "this does that, here's the hp bar, hit - kill, end of corridor - next level" and BOOM! now your story can progress, and that's all video games are about now.

What is that video game ideology and concept you speak of?
Isn't it here just for me to get through it?
I don't want to understand things sir nuh-uh, give me a tutorial that tells me what button to press and make the game play itself.
I don't want to figure out what to do to not get my teeth kicked in.
>>
>>377789245

underrated
>>
File: Futaring.png (2MB, 1031x687px) Image search: [Google]
Futaring.png
2MB, 1031x687px
no even a mention of this instant classic shame on you /v/
>>
>>377809176
The fuck is this?
>>
Stupid question. Battles in SRPGs take way too fucking long. That's why.
>>
File: Futaring2.png (1MB, 1030x691px) Image search: [Google]
Futaring2.png
1MB, 1030x691px
>>377809260
a master piece
>>
>>377789507
SRW is still going strong so not technically
>>
>>377809592
what if i just want the cg set
>>
>>377787582
>just got Cressida on psp version
holy FUCK that was an intense battle, Nybeth can suck a decaying sack of donkey dongs. was on NG+ and overequipped and it still took like an hour and won by the skin of my fucking teeth.

I love this game, minor complaints aside.
>>
>>377790041
how is that rng? once again, do you know what rng means?
>>
>>377791256
Makai Kingdom, aka Phantom Kingdom, has a PSP port that's been translated to English

I'm not really a big fan of Disgaea and related games but I'm sure someone would be glad to find out about this
>>
>>377800861
>SR is an amazing game.
What did he meme by this?
>>
>>377808574
>What does /v/ think of the Final Fantasy Tactics randomizer?
I think it makes it kinda unplayable
>>
>>377809261
>How dare other people be less ADHD than me!? Clearly they are the dumb ones!
>>
File: mfw.jpg (108KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
108KB, 650x650px
Is TO really dead? I don't want to believe it.
>>
>>377809261
Play faster games

>>377810554
>all earlygame enemies become ninjas

agreed
>>
>>377810739
Kind of.
The SNES one was the only good one.
Dunno about the PSP remake.

Does it have any other games?
I thought "tactics ogre" was just that, 1 game.
>>
>>377810942
You should play Ogre Battle 64 then, it's a great entry in the series. Different battle system that loses the grid and gives you squads of enemies whose attacks vary based on position in the squad.

Solid story, great music, tons of hidden/unlockable stuff, nice challenge.
>>
>>377809176
>>377809592
woah what's this? there's no game called futaring
>>
>>377811216
>>377809831
>>377809592
>>377809260
Fuuju Hime - Cursed Seal Princess
found it
>>
>>377811418
oh i know what the game is, but i can't find a cg set to "review" if the game is worth playing.
>>
>>377787582
>while JRPG is one of the biggest living and breathing ones still
I dunno, are they?
>>
>>377811546
Yes?
There are like hundreds of them being made every month.
>>
>>377810554
Literally git gud.
Of course you have to dedicate some time to grinding up jobs first.
>>
>>377805432
Advance Wars
>>
>>377811486
good luck I can't even find a working link to download the game
>>
>>377790850
just do what made borderlands popular

diablo-like looting
lots and lots and lots of pop culture references and memes and exposition
voice acting for almost everything
very eye catching art style
toss in an narrator that people will fall in love with like the one in darkest dungeon
>>
>>377813478
check 2dhgg on /vg/ one of them should have it under futaring i think
>>
>>377804546
Me too. I hate fire emblem
>>
I really wish there wasn't so much random chance in FFT
>>
I didn't think a game could have too much content until I played Tactics Ogre on the PSP. Merely beating the game isn't enough. One can go through it on two other routes, explore a 100 floor dungeon, do postgame sidequests, etc. It's ridiculous.
>>
While I love everything about FFT and TO, I can't stomach how slow they are.

My favorite is VC even if it doesn't really excel at much besides the battle mechanics, which captivated me wholly.

Knights in the Nightmare was an interesting take on the genre that's relatively recent.

Breath of Fire V sort of played like an SPRG too and that game was great.
>>
>>377814908
I know, right? I have a save file with 150 hours on it and I still haven't even touched the Palace of the Dead or the Neutral route.
>>
>>377787582
we had that futa SRPG H game though
inb4 sauce
>>
bump since i'm reading the thread
>>
File: 1489776182634.jpg (2MB, 4910x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1489776182634.jpg
2MB, 4910x3000px
Can they at least bring back Tactics Ogre's artist? God damn even the generics look amazing.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.