[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can I expect? I loved Arcanum, Torment, and the Fallout

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: Icewind_dale_1_box_shot.jpg (35KB, 303x401px) Image search: [Google]
Icewind_dale_1_box_shot.jpg
35KB, 303x401px
What can I expect? I loved Arcanum, Torment, and the Fallout games. Is there a funnest class? I played the first 3/4 of Torment as a thief and regretted it because it was so fucking shit and useless.
>>
well you make all your players from scratch so you can play around a bit. There are no additional party members to acquire
>>
>What can I expect?
an old, obsolete game
>>
It's fun. People underrate it because it's not as heady and self-serious as the others.
>>
It's very combat oriented. Also, you don't make a single char, but a whole party - just use a common sense D&D setup - at least one thief, tank, sorcerer, cleric. There are powergaming parties, but it's not necessary - it's not like it will be prohibitively hard, unless you really make dumb choices. Play through Baldur's Gate games first if you're unfamiliar with Infinity Engine D&D (Torment alone was poor preparation for it).
>>
>>377765924
Fuck you little kid
>>
>>377766075
Are the enhanced editions of baldur's gate okay? I heard they made the writing really faggy and pc.
>>
>>377766265
Well there is a new character in the games that has a classic fat chick voice that doesnt match her character model
>>
>>377766396
fuck it there's a mod to disable the new npcs, ill just use that
>>
>>377766265

They are not ok, they went as far as to add a new voiceline for Minsc that has him crack a gamergate joke. No shit.

Never played any of the EE, but I saw the screenshots for Torment - see how the new UI isn't even scaled with the resolution? That's how incompetent they are.

It's not even a case of "meh, mods did it better". It's a case of "never give money to those game-ruining fucktards"
>>
>>377766265
Enhanced Edition is fine, you can safely ignore the bonus stuff if it bothers you

Do not get or play siege of dragonspear though
>>
>>377766265
I would actually recommend starting with Icewind Dale over Baldur's Gate. IWD is the weakest of the Infinity Engine games storywise but does as good a job as any of the other games introducing you to the mechanics. So I think it's better to get the weaker but still enjoyable games (IWD) before moving on to the better games (BG and Planescape).
>>
>>377766265
The original games are great and the EE versions don't change anything, they only add content and most of that is pretty easily ignored.
If you can get an earlier EE version before they fucked up the UI, do so.
>>377766654
>new voiceline for Minsc that has him crack a gamergate joke
Only in Siege of Dragonspear which should be avoided anyway.
>>
>>377766981
Downside is that you'll miss the fun parts of IWD when you go and play the other games.
>>
>>377766738
I am curious, it fucking vanished immediately after all the bad press.
Will they ever not put dumb "woke" shit in games?
There is already a belt that turns you into the opposite sex! If you are trans just use magic and shut up already.
There are 750 thousand trans people in america out of 360 plus million people.
Its not 7 out of 10 people.
>>
>>377765698
Making a full party of your own from scratch can be fun, but it also means that you'll miss out the banter between party members that was a real highlight of BG2. I think people who enjoy the combat more than the story or have a rich imagination could probably get into IWD more, but it's not for me.

>>377766265
>Are the enhanced editions of baldur's gate okay? I heard they made the writing really faggy and pc.
Lots of fan made mods unironically have better writing than the EE game. The npcs that were added in for EE are completely incongruent with their setting and talk like they're straight out of an SJW college campus.

If you want to play the trilogy you'll be better off using BGT or tutu to mod up the original series into one large game yourself, assuming you can be assed putting the time in to do it. SoD is NOT part of the game btw: it's 1, SoA, ToB.
>>
>>377766981
>does as good a job as any of the other games introducing you to the mechanics

by having you roll a party of six characters at the start when you don't know jackshit about which stats matter? it just assumes you've played BG.
>>
>>377765924
Go back to play Fallout 3, teenager
>>
File: yxunomei.jpg (777KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
yxunomei.jpg
777KB, 800x1000px
>best character in the game only appears in one dungeon

Still triggers me.
>>
>>377767220
what about the expansion for bg1? I never got around to playing it, was it anygood?
>>
>>377767161
>There is already a belt that turns you into the opposite sex! If you are trans just use magic and shut up already.
Exactly. The writers showed a total lack of care or understanding for the established setting. There would have actually been plenty of ways to write a side quest involving an npc who wanted to change their sex that would have worked if they'd paid literally any attention to the previous games.
>>
File: cave_map_lg.jpg (48KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
cave_map_lg.jpg
48KB, 800x578px
>>377765698
Have fun with the cave full of orcs and ogres right at the start with an entirely 1st level party. They didn't fuck around with the casual-filter in that game.
>>
>>377767225
Baldur's Gate doesn't explain shit about character creation either. Sure you get premade characters along the way but if you don't know about old D&D and don't follow a guide you won't know how to properly build them out and you'll be stuck with 6 shit characters just the same.
>>
>>377767389
TotSC? Yeah, I like it but it's not really a lot of content that you've missed out on. It really just adds a new dungeon and few extra areas to explore before the showdown against Sarevok. Durlag's Tower is really difficult for a BG1 dungeon and absolutely packed full of traps. Decent rewards too, though it hardly matters given that you're moments away from losing all of your gear and gold as BG2 starts anyway.
>>
>>377767501
I would have actually enjoyed it if it wasnt so ham fisted.
I don't like shitty writing so I guess that means I hate trans people?
I would even have been ok with you taking the person to get magical sexual re assignment at some magical clinic or even better some crazy hermit wizard that lives in tower guarded by ogres with pigtails and gingham dresses
>>
>>377767609
BG1 has Candlekeep though, which is basically a giant tutorial town. Even if you completely fuck up your character creation, you'll still be given a decent NPC in your party when the game starts proper, and pointed in the right direction to go find a couple more that are great classes for low level D&D.
>>
>>377767858
>I would even have been ok with you taking the person to get magical sexual re assignment at some magical clinic or even better some crazy hermit wizard that lives in tower guarded by ogres with pigtails and gingham dresses
mfw
Pretty much though, yeah. Even a serious story about someone who'd been changed by a curse as a child and wants to get revenge on the wizard who did it or whatever would have worked.
>>
>>377767858
>crazy hermit wizard that lives in tower guarded by ogres with pigtails and gingham dresses

This anon is lightyears better than all the Beamdog writers combined.

>>377767609

Still harder to build a whole party right away, the party you will be forced to use till the end. You might only realize that you fucked well into the game.

In BG you have many ways to correct your mistakes with high level party members for instance. Even if your char is shit, the game is not unwinnable and you can power through. Also you can solve problems without combat and take noncombat quests to level up, while ID is mostly fighting.
>>
File: dalekeeper22.gif (67KB, 1024x739px) Image search: [Google]
dalekeeper22.gif
67KB, 1024x739px
>>377768296
>What is Dalekeeper?
>>
>>377768454
why even play? cheating is only fun for about five minutes
>>
>>377765698
Its like BG but worse
>>
>>377768454

oh right, since there are of course no trainers for BG, you totally swayed my opinion
>>
>>377768564
Better than hitting an insurmountable wall 50 hours in because of a bit of ignorance at the start.
>>
>>377768454
>>377768564
I use shadowkeeper, but only to alter stats for when I'm starting from SoA. Specifically, to give Imoen an extra point of INT, because I would have found the tome for that and always do when I play through BG1.

That way her and Aerie can both get L9 mage spells.
>>
>>377768806
When has that ever even happened in Ice wind dale? You probably got tired of dying and decided to cheat.
There are plenty of strategies, you can kite around. you can use potions.
>Hurr durr I can't power through like a demi-god better give myself maximum stats
>>
>>377769258
>When has that ever even happened in Ice wind dale?
What do you face in IWD anyway? Like do you ever need to deal with stuff like demiliches/mindflayers/beholders?
>>
>>377768806
Or you could read the manual and then go into the game without ignorance at the start.
>>
>>377769380
Yeah for real, I remember reading the manual on the car ride home from the store.
>>
>>377769258
I've never actually used Dalekeeper, only Shadow for minor tweaks. Anon was saying there was no way to correct character-creation mistakes in a combat-focused game like IWD. Different tactics and stat adjustment are really the only ways to get around problems in such situations, with different tactics of course being the preferred method.
>>
>>377765698
I prefer the second one but I could be a little retarded. It has the 3.5 or whatever DND rules.

You build an entire party without a real 'main' character so a particular class isn't important.

Story definitely takes a backseat to the hack n' slash dungeon crawling but there's enough there to keep you moving and give you direction.

Overall bredy good imo
>>
>>377769375
Some demons and undead. Large hordes of more basic monsters account for most of the encounters, though. Yuan-ti, giants, drow, that kind of thing.
>>
>>377769726
Listen stop explaining why I shouldn't irrationally call you a retard.
>>
>>377769776
I stopped playing the second one after the character creation.
Too many godlike super duper special classes.
splits every stat into smaller and smaller categories
>>
>>377769934
retard
>>
>>377769818
Doesn't sound like anything that would present an extreme challenge unless the class combinations used were completely retarded.
>>
>>377770823
ooh now you've done it! that really boiled my beans!
Why I ought to come ever there and show you whats what
>>
>>377765698
There are a lot of trolls so make sure that you hold on to anything that deals fire or acid damage preferably fire because a lot of the enemies take double damage from it.
>>
>>377765698
IWD is fun as fuck.
Try playing a Heart of Winter mode playthrough from level one.
>>
>>377767352
Fuck that fight.
>>
>>377771070
Most fights are very winnable. The sheer numbers of enemies can make for a hard slog at times, and groups are often mixed with high-kill-priority damage-dealers lurking within the ranks that you have to be watchful for. I recall there being only a few effective crowd-control spells, and many enemies have resistances that cut down the damage they take, even on AD&D rules level difficulty.
>>
>>377766654
>they went as far as to add a new voiceline for Minsc that has him crack a gamergate joke.

jesus christ no. thank you for helping me to make an informed decision to avoid this heaping pile of dogshit
>>
>>377771838
Just think about how badly that joke is gonna age.
Probably worse than the bob newhart reference in bg1
>>
>>377771732
>I recall there being only a few effective crowd-control spells
Depends on the level range you're playing it. idk how similar IWD is to BG, but in the latter by the time you have access to level 7 and up wizard spells you start getting some really insane CC options such as Sphere of Chaos, and aoe nukes like Abi Dazhim's Horrid Wilting. Then there's stuff like using spell triggers to unleash multiple Holy Smites against masses of undead.
>>
>>377765698
I went with a 3 fighter party, one human one elf and one dwarf.

Try to have a lot of variety in your character combos, because this game has a lot of items that are only usable by certain races/class/alignments.

Especially for my dwarf and elf fighters, there were really good items that only they could use.
>>
File: reaction205.png (558KB, 607x622px) Image search: [Google]
reaction205.png
558KB, 607x622px
>>377767352
>is immune to normal and +1 weapons
>only character with a +2 weapon is your cleirc
>>
>>377772447
The 'problem' with crowd control in AD&D is that saves go down by level(when lower=better). Late game enemies will save against pretty much everything unless you nail them to the ground with saving throw debuffs first.

Not so true in IWD2, but that save system is broken.
>>
>>377771070
This >>377767352 bitch right here is probably the only real toughie outside of the final fight, a lot of it is dungeon crawling levels of resource management (pots, spells per day when resting just gets you woken up by more enemies).

Some fun fights though.
>>
>>377772547
>>377772909
If there's something I've learned from D&D games, it's to always be looking for the highest +[number] weapon possible.
>>
>>377772632
My experience is only from ToB where the enemies who attack en masse usually don't have insane saving throws. Sphere of Chaos is just a way of buying time for the other casters to summon some mobs. Alternately there are cheese strats like tanking mobs on the edge of a cloudkill.
>>
File: Drowned Dead.gif (3KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
Drowned Dead.gif
3KB, 64x64px
Seriously, fuck these things, and the barrow wights, and the wailing virgins.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.