[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there no shooter where there is only one hitscan weapon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: instagib.jpg (210KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
instagib.jpg
210KB, 1920x1080px
Why is there no shooter where there is only one hitscan weapon that everyone uses and that's it? Wouldn't that be the pinnacle of skill as all spread rng and ability bullshit would be out of the equation?

So far this idea has only been explored in mods and separate modes, but I can't recall an entire AAA game being made based on the idea.
>>
>>377735836
Hitscan is trash
>>
>>377735836
rats instagib?
>>
>>377735836
I can understand getting rid of spread, but how does hitscan take any more skill than something where you need to lead shots?

If anything, hitscan is babby mode. All you have to do is click when reticle overlaps target, and you're done. That's all the skill involved. Compare this to where you need to be familiar with projectile velocity and be able to predict and manipulate enemy behavior. It's no contest.
>>
It's called instagib and is a thing in just about any arena shooter.
>>
They had that, it was called Shootmania Storm; and nobody gave a shit.
>>
File: u wot mate.jpg (67KB, 524x362px) Image search: [Google]
u wot mate.jpg
67KB, 524x362px
>hitscan takes more skill than projectiles
>>
>>377736184
Projectiles promote spamming in the hopes of landing hits. It's more likely that an enemy will run into the way of your projectiles than a hitscan beam that is only active for a split second as you fire it.

>>377736216
I know that, I was wondering why it is relegated into a separate mode instead of being the main gist of the game.
>>
>>377736304
Storm had projectile weapons that took several shots to kill, though.
>>
>>377735836
why is there no pvp game where two players are each assigned a button and the winner is whoever presses said button when the prompt is randomly shown on screen?
>>
>>377735836
What game is this?
>>
>>377736484
>Projectiles promote spamming in the hopes of landing hits. It's more likely that an enemy will run into the way of your projectiles than a hitscan beam that is only active for a split second as you fire it.

I don't think you're thinking of it in the right context to judge skill. You're totally right, if your judgment is purely based on behavioral psychology of a common player. But in the context of someone striving for 100% accuracy, which one takes more deliberate skill to achieve?
>>
>>377736824
That depends on many factors. How fast are the projectiles, how big are their hitboxes and how fast are player characters?

If they are fairly slow projectiles with small hitboxes and player characters are faster than the average shooter movement speed, then projectiles would take more skill than hitscan beams.
>>
>>377736184
humans are better at predicting and leading moving targets than very precisely placing a reticle over a fast moving target and clicking imho

also with projectiles there is a larger margin of error because you can fill the space in front of the target (spam) to increase likelihood of one hitting, since hitscan is instantaneous
>>
>>377737418
This. It might seem logical that leading and predicting is harder than simply placing a reticle on top of a target, but that is not so.

In most games that feature weapons of both types, projectile weapons usually perform better than hitscan weapons on all levels of play.
>>
>>377735836
because only have 1 weapon is boring
>>
>>377735836
>Why is there no shooter where there is only one hitscan weapon that everyone uses and that's it?

>he didnt play unreal tournament with instagib mutator
>>
>>377737330
This why the disc launchers were in Tribes were the ultimate skill weapon.
>>
>>377736680
it's called Mario Party
>>
>>377738318
Tribes is a bit of an anomaly because the maps are so open and huge, which makes hitscan especially powerful as you don't really need twitch aiming like in Quake or other arena shooters.
>>
>>377735836
I'd say you'd get either AWPmap or Quake 3 Railgun only.

Either case, you'd get a Starcraft 2 scenario where no one except the very best would play, leaving less-skilled players disheartened or frustrated, effectively killing the game within the month.
>>
>>377735836
It would be, but that also wouldn't be fun. Games, even competitive games, are generally better with some random or near random element to force players to improvise and stop the winner from being a forgone conclusion.
>>
>>377736820
Jaykin' Bacon: Episode 3 i think
>>
>>377739561
Shouldn't the winner always be the one who is most skilled though?
>>
>>377735836
Because fun is more important than skill.
>>
>>377741020
But skill can equal fun
>>
>>377735836
The idea is that you want as much variety as possible without taking away from the integrity of the game. Variety keeps the game fresh and interesting.
>>
Did anyone else think this was Kakariko Village from the thumbnail? In fact, the image matches the place area behind the Skulltula House.
>>
>>377737961
That's because they have better stats due to the higher difficulty
>>
>>377735836
There is instagib and it sucks. (instagib is pretty close to call of duty, it really doesn't take that much skill to point and click at stuff)

Then there is Quake. Quake is good
>>
>he never heard of instagib mode on unreal tournament
>>
>>377736304
That's because it was shit.
>>
>>377743337
>He never read the entire post before replying
>>
>>377741304
The stats shouldn't matter if they are harder to land hits with. But projectile weapons have higher hit percentages than hitscan weapons too.
>>
The average accuracy of pro Quake players when using hitscan weapons is somewhere around 40%, provided they are playing against someone of equal skill.

That number is much higher for the projectile weapons, though in their defense, it must be said that rockets and grenades that do not hit directly but still deal damage with their explosion are counted as hits as well.
>>
smgs weren't hitscan but they pretty much ruined tribes ascend. there needs to be a variety of weapons with differnt mastery and physics
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.