[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone else find that most the dungeon puzzles in Persona

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

Did anyone else find that most the dungeon puzzles in Persona 5 were so insultingly easy that there was no point even including them?

90% of locked doors have a vent or some means to bypass them either within the same room or just down the corridor.

It doesn't help that your teammates will stop you and consult you about what the correct answer is when you're standing within range of a glowing point on the level (even without third eye active).

A lot of it felt a little Wait A Minute That Card.
>>
I can't stop listening to Rivers in the Desert. What do I do?
>>
>>377725831
Puzzles have solutions...hmm.....interesting
>>
>>377726110
There's no point including puzzles in a game if you're going to put the solution within sight of the problem and have every character spell out the solution in case you happened to miss it.

It just feels like a roadblock to progress.

It's like the puzzles in later Assassin's Creed games, where the character, your side NPC for the mission, the game's markers, Eagle Vision and the camera will solve what is already an easy puzzle for you.
>>
>>377726031
CREATING
>>
The algebra puzzle in the gangster guy's palace.
You get a piece of paper saying d=1 or some shit.

Your party members remind you of this 2 or 3 times before you even get control to type in the answer.
>>
I didn't mind the puzzles that was not really the main focus of the game. There was none of it the previous game and nobody complained

What I would have like is better level-design of the Palaces, they are too linear for a game that came out in the Post-Dark Souls era when standards of level-design has been dramatically raised
>>
>>377728464
That would have been pretty sweet, though Dark Souls' level design is tied heavily to the way the narrative is delivered, IE open ended.

Persona is more about a structured narrative where you're supposed to use your limited SP to make as much dungeon progress in a single go as possible. If they opened the levels up as much as Dark Souls, that would be a nightmare.
>>
File: 1414267939526.jpg (7KB, 255x220px) Image search: [Google]
1414267939526.jpg
7KB, 255x220px
>>377725831
I agree. If the simple solutions weren't already brain dead, your teammates never shut the fuck up. They always comment on every scenario and none of it is ever left up to the player to figure out.

I do enjoy how in the Mementos dungeon when you're lighting up the floors, if you solve the puzzle with the lights without fucking it up, your teammates will comment on what the point of the lights were and Futaba will explain it anyways. I'm cool with those kinds of things because the game let me figure it out myself before it started fucking explaining it to me.
>>
>>377729491
>use your limited SP to make as much dungeon progress in a single go as possible
This is why the SP regeneration accessories you can buy from the doctor are really overpowered. You can breeze through a dungeon in 1 day no problem. They start to fall off in the final dungeon, but by that point you should have a good amount of coffee/curry as well.
>>
>>377729792
What was most insulting was how the game said how clever you were for solving problems that the game instantly solved for you.

My least favourite "problem" in the entire game is figuring out how to get into Palaces.

I was hoping that you'd have to do some surveillance, hack into databases, psychoanalyze your target and stuff to work out what their Palace would be.

Instead you just run a bunch of words past the Nav until it lets you in.
>>
File: 1494626159325.png (345KB, 1024x490px) Image search: [Google]
1494626159325.png
345KB, 1024x490px
The puzzles were quite simple but I still preferred the overall dungeon design over Tartarus or the shadow world. Even if the dungeons were extremely linear compared to those two, it didn't feel that way to me with the distinct flavors each dungeon had. P4 had this as well but it was still just "advance down hallway segment #32 to get to intersection segment #21"

I only hope that P6 will expand on P5s dungeon design because P3's and P4's dungeons were a bore to get through.

I did get stuck on P5's airlock sequence though.
>>
>>377725831
A chore indeed
>>
>JOKAH IT'S A BUTTON I WONDER WHAT IT COULD ACTIVATE
>SHOULD WE PRESS IT
>press it
>*jingle*
>camera pans over to what it activated
>DID ANYTHING HAPPEN?
>LET'S GO INVESTIGATE
>WANNA TRAVEL THERE AND CHECK IT OUT
>travel there
>WHOA SUGOI IT ACTIVATED!
>ALRIGHT LET'S KEEP MOVING
>>
File: 1438032181494.jpg (59KB, 493x495px) Image search: [Google]
1438032181494.jpg
59KB, 493x495px
>>377729792
>"oh wow look! the floor light up"
>"look at that! it turned blue when you stepped on it!"
>"holy shit! it turned back to orange when you stepped on it again"
bitch i see all of it myself
there is no fucking need to interrupt my gameplay to state obvious shit
>>
@377726953
Please be bait.
>>
>>377728464
The dungeons being too linear is, to me, an extremely odd complaint, for a Persona game, especially since several of the dungeons were non-linear.
>>
They were by no means complex, but I liked them well enough. I didn't have to rack my brain to figure them out, but they helped to vary the gameplay a bit. It wouldn't have hurt to have them be more difficult, but I wasn't upset with them either.
>>
>>377732532
Yeah, this. They never felt like they were trying to be a Professor Layton game or anything - mostly just a way to vary the dungeon gameplay, but mostly there to get you to run around a little more and get sucked into more battles.
>>
>>377726480
Hey man, at least the puzzles made the dungeons a little bit interesting.

Yes, some of them were pretty boring, like the bank one, but at least we are not climbing 200+ floors of random generated nothingness.

I'll take easy puzzles over previous dungeons any and every day.
>>
File: P5.png (302KB, 500x631px) Image search: [Google]
P5.png
302KB, 500x631px
ITT: Games that don't respect the players intelligence
>>
>>377732532
>but they helped to vary the gameplay a bit.

Yeah that varied rat puzzle in the ship was engaging as fuck yo
>>
>>377732981
Yeah this - Again it's odd to me someone is complaining about the puzzles in a dungeon in a PERSONA game where ALL prior games have literally you in running around in a maze - This one at least adds tons to the dungeons.
>>
>>377732532
>>377733181
i agree with this
what annoyed me was that game treated you like you're retarded
and the endless dialogue before the puzzle
>find a puzzle
>makoto explains it, 5 dialogue windows
>nobody gets it, 5 more dialogue windows
>makoto explains it in a more easy to understand way, 3 dialogue windows
>someone else gets it and explains it again using an analogy, 3 more dialogue windows
>ryuji still doesn't get it, 1 more dialogue window
this is extra annoying if the puzzle is right after a safe room
>>
The puzzles were fine, and I like it more than the randomly generated Mementos which is more like Persona 3/4. I just wish that instead of Mementos we could've gotten remixed dungeons with variants of puzzles, stronger Personas, and an amazing weapon at the end after beating a brutal miniboss for the party member you get in the dungeon to make it worth it
>>
>locked door implies "puzzle"
How old are you, 10?
>>
>>377733290
That was fine, it just went on too long. It was fun at first because you actually had to sneak around and it did vary the gameplay.
>>
>>377733848
The sneaking is whack anyways, AI are literally blind and the cover system loves to work against the camera
>>
>>377734298
It is, but it was nice to actually have a segment where you have to sneak, and the normal sneaking, while not amazing, is good enough in my opinion. The controls and camera could be improved, but they didn't get in the way too often.
>>
File: 1379504839960.gif (768KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
1379504839960.gif
768KB, 500x340px
>>377733181
>Persona 3/4
>Dungeons are shit

"It's ok guys. The dungeons are just an aspect of it. The music is the highlight. Wish they were more interesting though. Overall 9/10"

>Persona 5
>Dungeons aren't shit anymore

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? The dungeons are amazing and not random, but the puzzles are too easy. Fuck this game, what am I? a 5 year old?"

Fans, man.
>>
>>377735978
Yea I don't get this thread either... I think some people don't understand how to manage expectations.
>>
>>377725831

I've seen people complain that they too hard, like the airlock puzzles.

I personally enjoyed them since there was quite a bit of variety, like the globes and coffins in the Pyramid and the Gold Pigs in the bank.
>>
>>377736508
That or people never played a Persona before 5.

Hoo boy, if your worst complain about the game is silly puzzles, you would have a blast playing Persona 3 guys.

Even worse, Persona 1 and 2
>>
File: 1494891110716.png (133KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1494891110716.png
133KB, 512x512px
EVERYONE
>>
>>377736804
NO GOOD
>>
>>377735978
>>377736508

Y'all niggas are blatantly lying, people have always shitted on 3 and 4 for having garbage dungeons, I know this because i've been shitting on them for ages.

Persona 5 is a different case unlike those, new engine made specifically for it, Atlus had a huge budget compared to their previous games since they milked all their other titles and yet, dungeons are still basic as shit.
>>
>>377737134
People have always shitted on them yes for saying they are too simple, not designed, etc. - but still said they WORKED and the focus wasn't on the dungeons.

Now they made the dungeons way better by making them unique, giving them design / level design, adding in a ton of variety of gameplay including stealth and puzzles, and somehow this upgrade from the previous games - JUST ISN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU.
>>
>>377736804
I grinded 500K yen in mementos and donated everything to Yoshida's campaign.

MATCH ME
>>
>>377737134
Atlus is literally an indie studio in terms of size.

How they are able to pull off Persona 5 is in itself unbeliveable.
>>
>>377735978
Most people's first Persona (or JRPG for that matter) is P5.
>>
>>377725831
And yet a lot of people apparently hated the space tunnels puzzle, despite the fact that it actually wasn't braindead.
Well, I do remember getting annoyed that the first stage was inconsistent about how its tunnels switch, but I think it got better by the second stage, since different types of tunnels made it more consistent.
Also, flying through space is cool, even if unrealistic.
>>
>>377737426
You shouldn't dismiss time as a factor. How long did they have, 9 years?
>>
>>377737335
>but still said they WORKED and the focus wasn't on the dungeons.

Pfft no one who shitted on them said this, they called a waifu since the dungeons were garbage.

> giving them design / level design

Which they ended up ruining with safe doors, Castle was the only dungeon that felt that the design wasn't based around you having to use them.

>adding in a ton of variety of gameplay including stealth and puzzles

The stealth system was pure garbage, the enemy AI is dumb as shit and is blind to you, way to simple to lose your 99% alarm shit and it just feels pointless. The puzzles were the biggest offenders since the later dungeons decided to pad the ENTIRE dungeons length by repeating the same easy puzzle .

Yeah it's an upgrade from the others but can't be pretending they were good especially in the case with their circumstances, this should have been the best dungeons the studio's ever made.
>>
>>377738724

>this should have been the best dungeons the studio's ever made

How were they not?
>>
>>377725831
Considering every single puzzle is explained and sometimes solved by dialogue that pops up every time you attempt to do the puzzle? Yes.
>>
>>377738724
They were good. What did you expect?

This is miles better than Tartar sauce
>>
>>377738724
>this should have been the best dungeons the studio's ever made
And it was.
>>
>>377738357
I loved those, the rest of the dungeon was what I didn't like. Those airlock puzzles should have made up more of the dungeon than they did.
>>
>>377738984
>>377740637
>>377739250
>Persona is the only Altus game series i played
>>
>>377738357
>despite the fact that it actually wasn't braindead.

Literally any SMT warp puzzle dungeon was harder than this, you could never be lose their and die
>>
>>377741406
>why don't you play a real shen megoomi tebsay game
>>
>>377741406
oh, this was a "SMT is superior" problem from the start.

Should have said so from the beginning.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.