[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Homefront get so much hate? I keep seeing people describe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

Why does Homefront get so much hate? I keep seeing people describe it as "unplayable", and "total shit".

I know modern gamers are super hyperbolic, but you'd think this game, which is "okay" at worst, raped their entire families. Sure, the game was borderline unplayable on consoles for at about 5 months after release, but since when did we judge games based on how they were, instead of how they are? You'd have to be living under a rock not to know Homefront is the best looking, best performing CryEngine title on consoles that also sports PS4 Pro support with supersampling for 1080p monitors.

When people think "beautifully optimized", they think "Homefront: The Revolution."
>>
File: 20170510161404_1.jpg (550KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170510161404_1.jpg
550KB, 1920x1080px
I don't really get what this thread is about, but I liked Homefront, the worldbuilding was good as fug, it's just a shame about the rest of it
>>
File: 20170510134359_1.jpg (244KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170510134359_1.jpg
244KB, 1920x1080px
Here's my other really nice one. It's a shame I played through on the highest difficulty first, because I have zero interest in playing though it again, but I wish I had taken way more SS, there's an absolute ton of really beautiful environments.
>>
File: 34524046952_bedd5d2007_o.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
34524046952_bedd5d2007_o.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
There are some very nice screenshots floating around on NeoGAF and more graphics oriented forums. Shame there's not more Beyond the Walls screenshots, though. The game hits its graphical zenith in that DLC.
>>
>>377685003
I got Homefront on PS4 for £12.

It's... okay? I mean, I like what it's trying to do. I like the setting and environment. I like the way guns sound good and the weapon mod system. The characters seem pretty awful but to be fair I'm just over 2 hours in and I hear the DLC is pretty decent too. Not disappointed in my purchase yet. Gonna play through the whole thing when I finish Arkham Knight.
>>
>>377686115
The graphics are really good, underrated, never see it in screenshot threads
>>
you changed my mind i will now pirate this. considering the games brutal development cycle with its publisher collapsing. being sold i am pleasesd this game saw the light of day. they really did need a few more npc models though, i will say im looking forward to the stuidios next, the developer have had a tough journey these past few years i really do wish them all the best
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtfV5gHKzvo
What's bizarre about the DSP viral video bashing the game as the "worst game he's ever played" is that he spent the entire time talking about the framerate. He couldn't come up with a single criticism that wasn't directly related to the game's framerate. But there's no incentive for him to release a new video because "Holy shit it runs at 0fps at points" gets you clicks. These people feed on negativity. You don't go viral calmly talking about what a game does right and wrong, and you especially don't go viral taking a look at a game a year after release.
>>
>>
>>377686308
There was an important hotfix for the game released in April that most repacks are missing because everyone jumped the gun when Denuvo was removed in March. It fixes the game's reflections which were broken in the prior patch.
>>
>>377685003
Nobody hates it.
It's just a mediocre game with mediocre optimization that got no marketing whatsoever.
By the time it got polished, nobody cared anymore.
>>
I don't care for open world Half Life 2 clones
>>
File: 20170510190912_1.jpg (364KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170510190912_1.jpg
364KB, 1920x1080px
I really like the concept of an invaded US, so the whole rebel thing really carried me through the game. I found it super subpar, if it didn't have such god tier world building I'd say I probably hated it, the combat is awful, there's no real weapon variation, I never felt challenged on highest difficulty. But the zone system is great, the world is incredible, and the lighting is really good, the fog and smoke in the gassed zone is fucking beautiful.

I really cannot stress how wonderful the world building is, I've never ever experienced anything that can even compete to the way the zones change. Dishonored was really good for that, especially after a few different playthroughs so you can see the differences, but this shit is on a whole different level.
>>
>>377686676
>Nobody hates it.
It was declared "worst game of 2016" by multiple youtubers.
>It's just a mediocre game with mediocre optimization that got no marketing whatsoever.
It's well optimized now, and the marketing was surprisingly effective considering it had great pre-order numbers and great first week sales. The problems didn't emerge until people discovered the fact the game was comprehensively fucked. It was like Prey's technical issues, but a million times worse.
>By the time it got polished, nobody cared anymore.
That's not really the game's fault, though.
>>
I like the game enough to give it a playthrough but the gunplay and movement definitely have a stiffness to them that I don't like at all. The enemy respawn rate is also a bit nonsensical and running around the open world doesn't feel great at all. The bike and RC car are also floaty and are prone to getting stuck too much, reversing the RC car feels shitty as fuck. Stealth is also weird in this game but maybe I just haven't gotten that down yet.

They've definitely fixed it up a lot since the game came out but even after the fixes, it's still a pretty mediocre game with some meh mechanics.
>>
File: 20170509235808_1.jpg (478KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170509235808_1.jpg
478KB, 1920x1080px
>>377686764
I personally describe it as a mediocre farcry 3
>>
>>377686909
>I like the game enough to give it a playthrough but the gunplay and movement definitely have a stiffness to them that I don't like at all.
Is that on PS4? Because the game has some input lag on PS4. Exact same PS4-specific issue as Prey. Prey tried to fix it by turning off vsync in the 1.02 patch, which introduced screen tearing and judder due to a 32fps cap technique.
>>
>>377687050
Nah on PC at 60fps. It's something common in CE3 games, honestly. The 2 Crysis sequels felt the same way.
>>
>>377686992
It's kinda like FC3, except it has almost none of the game mechanics that defined Far Cry 3. No hunting, no herb gathering, no upgrade trees, and... Like, it's clearly influenced by FC3, but they flat-out rejected most 2011-2014 era Ubisoft design traits.
>>
File: 20170512140112_1.jpg (468KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170512140112_1.jpg
468KB, 1920x1080px
Just dumping my screenshots because I've wanted to share them since I played through the game.

I brute forced my way through the game with the M4 Acog and a silenced pistol. I used the M4 LMG convert for aggressive stronghold takes but other than that I just headshot everything. I never felt a need to switch weapons. But the RC IED's are awesome, and I loved everysingle time I blew up a convoy. Assassinating a VIP by driving an RC car under their humvee is really satsifying
>3 fucking captchas
nvm I'm done posting, fuck you gook moot
>>
>>377687191
>Just dumping my screenshots because I've wanted to share them since I played through the game.

I couldn't do it, I stop playing after entering the toxic zone. The game was just boring.
>>
File: 20170510125303_1.jpg (289KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170510125303_1.jpg
289KB, 1920x1080px
>>377687148
In terms of the poor enemy and weapon variety, and the way you interact with enemy encampments. Nothing else really, but even FarCry 3's dudebro gone violent story is better than Homefront's.

I do actually recommend the game though, if more games use the zone system to keep with the trendy open world meme, I might actually play open world games, because it means these dev's are accidently building complicated levels again.
>zones
>lighting
>terrorist shit
>the unbelievable world building
that shit is all very very good, I really was super impressed, it's jsut a shame the rest of the game is a fuckign turd
>>377687324
no one can blame you, I was locked in as soon as I started fuckign up Ashfield or whatever the rich Collab zone was called. I would describe the combat as a chore, but you can skip most of it, whether through really silly LoS stuff in yellow zones, or just straight up disengaging in red zones
>>
>>377686221
The graphics are uneven in places, but the negative hyperbole about its graphics at release, and even now sometimes, kinda blows my mind. Then again, you had people claiming that Crysis 3 was one of the ugliest games they'd ever played. Some people are just crazy.
>>
>>377687498
Gotta learn to sift through and ignore the shitposting. The game looks bland most of the time but it is technically impressive, it's only undeniably shit in some cases like alleyways at the edge of the map and stuff.
>>
File: 20170510151717_1.jpg (613KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170510151717_1.jpg
613KB, 1920x1080px
>>377687498
the problem i has is sometimes the graphics just fucking stop, and you get ugly blobs like 4 feet away. Also ashfield is fucking beautiful, especially once the resistance is the majority and you get the rebel slogans on the propaganda
>>
>>377687443
>In terms of the poor enemy and weapon variety
It has roughly the same number of weapons as Crysis 1. Also, I don't see how the enemy variety can really be faulted. Okay, so maybe it could be faulted in the sense that you never fight helicopters. But the whole point of the KPA is they're a faceless militarized police force. They even speak with the same voice via realtime translators to prevent people forming any sort of personal connection with them. From the top of my head you have:

Normal KPA.
Female sniper KPA.
Shotgunner KPA. (Wear a kind of grey uniform. Can sprint really fast. Often a OHK if they corner you.)
Red armoured KPA.
Heavy KPA.
Yellow hazmat KPA.
White hazmat KPA.
Scanner drones.
Wolverine drones.
Goliath drones.
Armoured cars.

That's the problem with realistic FPS games. If you wage war on, say, America, you'll be facing a bunch of soldiers all armed with the exact same gun. Half-Life 2 didn't have huge variety with its human enemies.
>>
File: GASMASK.jpg (329KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GASMASK.jpg
329KB, 1920x1080px
>>377687660
Ashgate is a paradoxical district because it's amazingly detailed with a ridiculous number of AI behaviors. (People having BBQs, playing catch, talking about how they're gonna report that dude who smiled at them because he was obviously a terrorist, and so on.) But when you get to Ashgate, technical issues start cropping up. NPCs with invisible weapons become more common. The news broadcast TVs will occasionally freeze. Even the monorail section is a bit "off" because there's missing environmental audio when you walk down the stairs with Crawford.

What's strange about the game is that the Red Zones are obscenely detailed. Basically every building has an interior you can enter. But there's nothing really going on. In the yellow zones, heaps of buildings are facades, but that's where all the actual "life" is. It's crazy how detailed and explorable Lombard is considering the average player will probably spend 30 mins to an hour there, moving from one main objective to the next.
>>
>>377688089
I prefer games that don't try to justify their open world with bullshit. Mafia III was a good game wrecked by repetitive side missions you couldn't skip because they were essential to the story. Mafia II had an open world without much point, but it was cool to drive around. The problem is that open world games are very time consuming to make so devs/publishers feel a pressure to put SOMETHING in them.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.