[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just beat this masterpiece and I'm wondering where the fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (136KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
136KB, 1280x720px
Just beat this masterpiece and I'm wondering where the fuck do I go from here? There's a shit load of Megami Tensei related games and I'm having a hard time choosing where to start. Can any of you fags help me? Is there a story to the whole thing? Is there a chronological order I should play them in?
>>
>>377674278
Play Persona 3, then Persona 4
Move onto SMT mainline, start with the SMT games from the PS2 era (Nocturne, Digital devil saga, Raidou) then work your way to the DS/3DS era so that you're not put off by the lack of refinements of earlier entries.
>>
>>377674968
thanks I'm going to follow this, about to download a ps2 emulator for P3
>>
>>377674278
Play digital devil saga
>>
>>377675131
persona 3 is a real fucking wake-up call if you're playing it after 5 and nothing else

the gameplay is actually shit in p3
>>
>>377674278
>There's a shit load of Megami Tensei related games and I'm having a hard time choosing where to start.
Just focus on the Persona series. SMT has always been shit tier. The early Persona games were legitimately horrible, but that was because SMT fans are masochists that can't enjoy a normal story.
>>
I feel bad. You've played the best entry, first. It's actually all downhill from here. The closest thing in quality is P4.
>>
>>377675131
No worries mate, just in case you don't know Persona 3 is available in three forms:

Persona 3: Original release for PS2
Persona 3 FES: Updated rerelease for PS2 with more refinements and an added epilogue
Persona 3 Portable: Made for the PSP, contains all refinements from FES + added ability to control your party members instead of AI. They removed the epilogue but added in a Female protagonist with a slightly different story.

Some people say start off with FES and then play P3P for the female route, others say skip FES altogether because the new epilogue is mediocre and P3P is portable anyway. Pick which ever one you want.
>>
File: 1445827852786.png (3MB, 1600x4491px) Image search: [Google]
1445827852786.png
3MB, 1600x4491px
>>377674278
>>
File: al9W1QB.jpg (971KB, 4500x3375px) Image search: [Google]
al9W1QB.jpg
971KB, 4500x3375px
Start with Digital Devil Story so you can understand the deep lore
>>
>>377675572
>>377675519
Thanks guys appreciate the help

>>377675432
I hope you're just exaggerating
>>
>>377675131
You can probably skip over DDS if demon fusion's your jam. It's more of a traditional JRPG with grid-based leveling and fixed party member

Raidou is an ARPG

Most of the handheld stuff are great
>>
>>377675719
Well I dunno but SMTIV:A have more QoL features and improvement over P5 except for the lack of 3D models and battles
>>
Anyone else find the bosses in P5 underwhelming?
>>
>>377674278

Persona 3 and 4 are pretty similar to what you played as far as basic mechanics go.

Persona 1 and 2 are very different though. I'd say they're both worth playing but your mileage may vary since they're pretty old Be sure to play Persona 2 in the proper order though. tfw no P2 EP PSP localization

But as far as the rest of megaten goes?

Well there isn't an overarching story really. The only thing you want to do is play Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 in order as well as SMT1 and 2. The rest of mainline is SMT3 Nocturne which is a pretty well beloved game (str build or go home) it introduced the Press turn system which SMT4 and it's sequel Apocalypse use. Nocturne has a pretty cool atmosphere to it imo.

If you're willing to try something older try SMT1/2 or KMT (which contains megami tensei 1 and 2 but remade for SFC). There's also Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers. the former wasn't translated i think but Soul Hackers was localized for 3DS. It's a sequel but you won't miss much

Devil Survivor is an SRPG which kind of combines with a press-turn battle system. Both games have plenty of endings for replay value. The second game is a bit more light hearted to the first.

Digital Devil Saga forgoes demon summoning, fusion and negotiation and plays more like a traditional JRPG. Instead of leveling up to gain skills you devour enemies to master Atma.

So just pick whatever interests you and go from there.
>>
>>377674278
Persona 1
then Persona 2
>>
This game is interesting to me but I don't do well.with JRPG. Is it easily accessible for someone who usually fucks up at speccing characters?
>>
>>377674278
There's no story to the whole thing. They all are very separated with only a cameo to indicate same universe every now and then.

As for order I'd say start with
1. P1
2. P2
3. P3
4. P4
then probably P3FES, P3P, P4G, and then P4DAN
>>
>>377677725

if you don't mind the time management you should do OK.
>>
>>377677725
Persona's the only series in the franchise where character stats are all fixed. You will also care more about damage types and buffs more than stats
>>
>>377677725
I went into P4G blind not being a fan of turn-based RPGs or of anime, the game completely won me over and P5 fully surpassed that. You really have to approach it with some patience though since it takes a looong time for the game to take the training wheels off and leave you to your own devices
>>
File: IMG_1139.jpg (23KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1139.jpg
23KB, 185x185px
>>377674278

>masterpiece
>>
>>377677880
Or just play on Easy
>>
>>377677769
don't bother with 1 or 2 unless you're seriously aiming to be a completionist. Also there's no reason to fall back onto the regular versions of P4 and P3 unless you have no other choice, just go with P3FES (and if you want to go NG+, P3P with femprotag) and P4G
>>
>>377678036
that too but I mean more how the storyline itself takes ages to guide you through all the gameplay elements before letting you do things on your own
>>
>>377676254
Nope, they all went down too easily
What's even the point of going full autism with fusions when everything is so piss easy
>>
>>377678068
Nah he asked how he should play them chronologically. Since there is not really a chronology then simply playing them in order is the best way.

What's the problem?
>>
>>377676254

>introduce baton pass which is actually a pretty cool mechanic
>Can never use it on bosses since they don't have weaknesses and are immune to crits.

oh.
>>
>>377676254
Madarame and Yaldabaoth gave me lots of problems (the later more because I was really lacking SP items and had to do a ton of squad swapping), the rest were surprisingly easy
>>
>>377675131
There's no doubt that many that play p5 and try to play p3 will quit. The gameplay in 5 has been streamlined so much that you'll feel probably feel disgusted with the battles. This is why most people recommend you play them in order.
>>
>>377675131
I hope you really, really really loved grinding through Mementos
>>
>>377676254
Did you not have the SP Adhesives? I WISH I had SP problems or a reason to switch party member mid-battle for Yalda, but I went in without a strategy and pretty much chose whoever, but I destroyed him with a lot of SP to spare. I never even needed to use any items during his fight or throughout the whole game, either. Madarame gave me a lot of trouble though.
>>
>>377678240
>baton pass
>good
It trivializes the game more than it needed to be.
>>
>>377679114
Meant for
>>377678361
>>
>>377674278
Play Catherine
>>
>>377674278

P3FES then P4G.
>>
File: 1493094008324.png (253KB, 872x632px) Image search: [Google]
1493094008324.png
253KB, 872x632px
>>377675131
Whatever you do, don't play on Hard. Compared to P5 on hard, P3 is a fucking nightmare. If you do, expect to grind for literally dozens of hours over the course of the game.
>>
>>377679165
You can trivialize P5 pretty easily with the Slinks. Hell even getting a persona with Null Phys or multi-strike attacks can make everything a cakewalk
>>
>>377675719
P5 is the best SMT game, but it's not like the others are bad. They're all great games.
>>
>>377679114
didn't bother with them considering their price, figured the money was better spent on fusing personas above my level. Between curry and haru's vegetables I usually managed alright but the crammed timeline of the final mementos run left me almost completely shortchanged
>>
>>377679664
this. 1-2exp per mob even with MC only getting the exp grind on p3 was hair pulling frustration
>>
>>377674968
THIS
>>
Be aware that the older games are so much less refined. There's a lot of things that the newer games did that made them a lot less needlessly frustrating.
>>
>>377680203
>tfw no P3 remake/remaster that combines FES/P3P with tons more QoL improvements
>>
>>377679665
That's why Slinks abilities were a bad idea. P6 is going to be even easier at the rate Atlus is currently going.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.